OILERS AT SHARKS, G76 13-14

What if Craig MacTavish contemplated shaking the Oilers young roster to its foundation last spring. What if, having thought about it, he decided to proceed with caution, to stay the course with the youth movement. What if he said “we’ll bring in a coach with a stern hand, teach these kids about the ‘what you leave’ part of the game and then push into the front lines, battle hardened after Christmas”? If he proceeded with the season in that way, how do you think he would react to what this team put canvas?

• Scotty Bowman, 1968: “There are 20 guys in here who probably have twenty different ways to make out the lineup. I suppose you all have a better way to shuffle this deck and come up with a winning hand. (pause). But let me tell you this, gentlemen: You can’t shuffle deuces and threes.”

We can reasonably assume Sam Gagner is gone from this team, but is he the only member of the team’s young cluster heading out of town? I think the club may have been able to manage it had they saved Hemsky, but at this point the top 6F (Hall, Perron, Nuge, tall 2-way C, Eberle, Yakupov) doesn’t have anyone pushing them from below. And that’s a problem. The club might be able to deal Gagner for a solution that fits better at center, but I’m not sure how that deal would look—additions to 89 would have to be included. How much does a Martin Hanzal go for these days?

WE’VE GOT TRANSACTIONS!!!!!

A flurry (since this is a hockey blog, should it be spelled Fleury?) of transactions by the Oilers yesterday.

• Oilers signed college defenseman Jordan Oesterle. I wrote about him last night, surely you remember.
  • Oilers recalled Will Acton. Not popular with Oiler fans, I’m not sure why. He played with dregs and had predictable results at the start of the year.
  • Barons signed D Graeme Craig. HUGE (6.05, 202) defender. Big men who can skate well get drafted.
  • Oilers and or Barons signed F Josh Winquist. 6.0, 190 and he was a point a game player at 19. 47 goals as an overager, you never know.
  • Greg Chase is also on the way to OKC.
  • Jujhar Khaira is too.
  • Andrew Ference and Luke Gazdic are done for the season

Anton Lander and Tyler Pitlick should get plenty of work.

odrowski

That’s Gerry Odrowski. He played on the original Seals and was a brilliant penalty killer. Oakland had all kinds of interesting players over the years. My favorites were Bill & Ernie Hicke, Bobby Sheehan, Carol Vadnais, Ivan Boldirev, Joey Johnston, Reggie Leach, Stan Weir. My favorite? Gilles Meloche. Most of the stories in the 1970s that involved the Seals went “despite stopping 45 shots, Gilles Meloche and the Seals lost 3-1 to Montreal.”

Maybe Ben Scrivens should call Gilles.

MELOCHE1

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Angry-Cat-878

10 this morning on the Lowdown, TSN 1260. No April Fool’s, but some good fun! Scheduled to appear:

• Michael Parkatti, Boys on the Bus. We’ll talk about Dallas Eakins assertion that the Oilers are not an offensive team.
  • Neal Livingston, Tend the Farm. We were both surprised that Arco signed. Barons did about 30 other things yesterday.
  • Steve Dangle, Leafs Nation. He’s mad as hell and he’s not going to take it anymore!
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. How will Chase and Khaira do in OKC? Craig and Wingquist? Who ARE they?

10-1260 via text or @Lowetide_ on twitter. Here we go!

273 Responses to "OILERS AT SHARKS, G76 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Is that an Avs jersey?

And, where’s my requisite Gund reference. Need a good Gund reference.

Internet is buggero in St Albert this morning will do a Gund if it comes back

3. cahill says:

LT,

Didn’t Khaira go to OKC as well?

4. John Chambers says:

RJ Umberger. Seems like a contract that could come back this way for Gagner. Add in something (Eberle maybe) to have Anisimov come this way as well. Saw it off with Jultz for Tyutin and you have a big deal.

Jackets get younger and add the scoring power of Eberle and the potential of Jultz, meanwhile the Oil get some experience and heaviness.

Seems like the kind if trade MacT needs to pull off this summer while adding done quality FA’s (my choices are Markov and Vrbata).

5. cahill says:

John Chambers:

I was thinking about an Eberle+ for Anisimov/Tyutin. I don’t think I would included Schultz in that deal, Eberle has a lot of value in the NHL.

6. stener says:

LT,

What about the biggest move from yesterday?

The Arco extension provides a nice, albeit small, glimmer of hope in these dark, dark days.

Arco story below will update Khaira when cable comes back

8. oliveoilers says:

Rumblings on SN and TSN Hall’s agent gives MacT trade request and list of 6 teams. Calgary reported to be on list…..

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oliveoilers:
    Rumblings on SN and TSN Hall’s agent gives MacT trade request and list of 6 teams.Calgary reported to be on list…..

april fools jokes aren’t funny.

10. Numenius says:

Maybe this was mentioned already, but Folin signs with the Wild.

11. oliveoilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis: april fools jokes aren’t funny.

Oh come on! At least I made it totally implausible. Go to google, type in “Sense of Humour” and buy one from Amazon or something. I’m not even standing on your lawn, Grandad.

12. Andy P says:

I’ll compare this to a man running around in circles because his foot is nailed to the floor. People with opinions gather around him. He’s wearing baggy pants so the injury to his foot is not readily apparent. The man himself is incoherent.

Some people tell him to shut up and get to work. Others say he should be fired because he’s no good. Some say he needs counselling because he has clearly lost it. Others say he should have his leg amputated because he clearly can no longer use that leg. Others berate the foreman for hiring such poor workers.

Then someone points out that the fellow has a nail in his foot. So the arguing continues. Some argue that he should have another nail put in his other foot so they match up. Others say, leave the nail in place, its a good nail, he needs to learn how to work with nails in his feet. Others ignore the nail and demand the foreman gets dismissed.

The point being that the situation will get worse and worse until you address the core problem – remove the nail. Once the nail is removed, you can attend to the injury.

The parallel with this team is that the Assistant Coach for Offense is the constant in this teams suckage. It’s not the coach, its not the players, its not the fitness staff. All of those are new.

Unless we change the Assistants in the offseason, we are doomed to continually run around in circles no matter how many of our talented core we replace with meaty Neanderthals.

Story updated.

14. Ducey says:

Andy P,

So you are saying Yak is the problem.

15. Bad Seed says:

Great penalty killer? Odrowski’s gotta be pushing 50 in that photo!

16. Clay says:

Andy P:

Did anyone else hear Andy Murray on the Gregor show yesterday?

Murray maintains that the Oilers have one of the best coaching staffs in the league. His exact words.

Just about fell off my chair.

17. thejonrmcleod says:

Stauffer 15 minutes ago: “So Khaira, Chase and Winquist are out there, wouldnt be surprised if there is one more significant player added to OKC out of the WHL.”

Who might this “significant player…out of the WHL” be?

18. WheresYourTowel says:

This season, no one is going to convince me that the Oilers aren’t offensive.

19. oliveoilers says:

Clay: Did anyone else hear Andy Murray on the Gregor show yesterday?

Murray maintains that the Oilers have one of the best coaching staffs in the league.His exact words.

Just about fell off my chair.

Agreed. Andy Murray should stick to tennis.

20. Hammers says:

Doesn’t look like we got Folin and Okl signings are just that OKL signings . With Ference out is there a chance Fedun could come up or are we stuck with Fraser or Larsen as the extras ? Is Horak still injured and that’s why Acton is coming . Sorry to say it but SJ will win by 4 . What a year .

21. fifthcartel says:

thejonrmcleod,

Mitch Holmberg?

22. thejonrmcleod says:

fifthcartel,

That seems to be everyone’s guess. I’m not familiar with the guy. I only follow the Q out here in Halifax.

23. Younger Oil says:

Todd Fiddler playing for Prince George had a better PPG than Holmberg and also has 35 pounds on Holmberg, he’s who I’d look at.

24. frjohnk says:

Great opportunity for Khaira and Chase to get a taste of the AHL and they will know for this summer what it takes to make the next step.

Not sure what to think of Winquist. He scored 47 goals as a 20 year old but this was on a defence first team. He was 24 goals and 44 points ahead of the next guys on the team. He also played 5 games fewer. Never know, maybe a nice late bloomer to take a stab at.

25. tcho says:

Romulus Apotheosis: april fools jokes aren’t funny.

We are fans of the Edmonton Oilers. It’s like a perpetual April Fool’s joke on us.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Gund references are much appreciated (though no direct ones… there will be other chances).

Love the aquatic jungle cat.

———

thejonrmcleod:

Who might this “significant player…out of the WHL” be?

where’s this from?

27. Jon K says:

Dang, great lineup today and I can’t catch the show. God bless archives.

“If he proceeded with the season in that way, how do you think he would react to what this team put canvas?”

I think you’ve hit the key issue for MacT this offseason, LT, even with all of the roster problems facing the team. I know that Renney was moved out because there was a perception that he couldn’t handle the kids and get them to buy into his message. I don’t know why Krueger was let go for Eakins, but I strongly believe the scenario played out as you stated.

So what does MacT do now, after saying that Eakins is going nowhere? That comment might stand as another he likely should have held onto, much like the quick turnaround comment. I think we can all agree that Eakins hasn’t preached the message like we’d want, the kids haven’t reacted like we’d want, and we now find ourselves in another untenable situation as the Oilers’ season winds down.

I don’t envy MacT this summer, his work is cut out for him, and we know that fans have the ability to turn on him, from past experience. I think his best bet, if he wants to minimize collateral damage to the core, is to move Gagner or Yakupov and in a kind, roundabout way, cite expectations to team commitment. Then add half a dozen players with NHL experience to the roster.

28. thejonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

A social network known as Twitter.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BTW: Rishaug was talking up re-signing Gazdic on 1260 this morning. Also, said he was way better than Laraque.

crazy life being an Oiler fan.

30. thejonrmcleod says:

Younger Oil,

I noticed he played for 5 different teams in 5 seasons.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

A social network known as Twitter.

I follow him… must have missed it this morning… too many things to stay on track of.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oliveoilers: Oh come on!At least I made it totally implausible.Go to google, type in “Sense of Humour” and buy one from Amazon or something.I’m not even standing on your lawn, Grandad.

the april fools joke ranks up there with knock knock jokes… they aren’t any fun unless a child is involved that can giggle.

33. KSC10032 says:

(Once again), I’m dating myself here, but I saw a few games with Gerry Odrowski when he played, against the Oilers, for the Los Angeles Sharks in the first year of the old WHA.

He was playing defense with another, equally odd-looking veteran named Jim Niekamp. Talk about knowing every trick in the book, and inventing a good percentage of them. Clutching, grabbing, pushing the opponents skate-blade with his stick, etc., Odrowski was an education. He claimed to be @ 32 when that photo was taken (I’m guessing in 1968?), and he looked even more ancient with the Sharks.

The first years of the WHA had a lot of older fringe NHL/veteran AHL types hanging on and extending careers. Sometimes the hockey was less than stellar, but it was usually better than it got credit for, and I learned a lot about the games’ subtleties just by watching these guys.

Odrowski was the “Professor Emeritus” though, of all types of skullduggery. A true sweetheart.

34. oliveoilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ha. I just find the exercise unfunny not this or that particular joke. not trying to ruin anyone’s fun.

I grew up in Portsmouth, England, an ancient maritime city. Between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight are a series of sea-forts from the Napoleonic era, literally in the middle of the sea on piles on to the bed rock. The local news once ran a story that one needed repair and was to be towed into the harbour. Nearly 100,000 people turned up. It was April 1st.

35. oliveoilers says:

I heard that every April1st, Specter runs one story with credibility. Kind of inverse bizarro world story.

36. Clarkenstein says:

….Young “cluster”…?? Oh I get that meaning!! Nicely done!

37. su_dhillon says:

Rishaug spends years killing Hemsky for “Body Language” and not practicing after practice meanwhile ignoring any and all of his contributions. But Gadzic that guy we have to lock up. FFS.

I am thoroughly enjoying Hemmers play in Ottawa and also much the appreciation Sens fans are showing him for it. Its been fantastic, and the guy deserves it.

Anyways back to Oilers media, its just unbelievable to me they can watch these games and come up with things like the team needs more Gadzic but Petry, Hemsky and Yak those are guys you can’t win with. Really? There is a part of me that hopes they get exactly what they want, they deserve this tire fire, I just wish I wasnt along for the ride.

38. RexLibris says:

April Fool’s is alive and well at my work.

In fact, I am unfortunately getting punked (that’s what the kids call it, right?) gratuitously right now – darned spring break!

39. In the Grease says:

40. stevezie says:

PHX’s problems this year are the best thing that could have happened to the Oil, because the degree to which Hanzal is exactly what this team appears to be missing is unbelievable.

He is really huge but can move, he plays center, he hits, he can play with skill, he is solid defensively and can win faceoffs. He is perfect.

Yes, there’s a good chance he only plays 60 games, but I can live with that. He fits too well.

I don’t know what PHX would want though. I think Ribero is their Gagner, and they’re benching him. “Eberle” is an obvious answer, but as LT points out, we no longer have a spare winger. If we have extra anything it is promising young D, but they have those too. I would put the 2015 first in play- I know it is valuable but he meets our “Help Wanted” description too perfectly.

41. RexLibris says:

I respect Andy Murray as a coach. He didn’t have a great deal of success with the Kings, but he had limited resources and that was one of the hardest working teams in the league at the time. He probably cost them a draft position or two based on how he got that group to play. Although, perhaps I am misremembering things. \

Ha, just had a look at his roster in his first season in LA. Had a young RW on the team named Dan Bylsma who played alongside Kelly Buchberger. Small world.

When LT first mentioned a link between MacTavish and Murray by way of player signings I started wondering if Murray wouldn’t be a good “experienced voice” to help Eakins next season.

42. RexLibris says:

In the Grease: Just out of morbid curiosity – and realize at this point it’s totally irrelevant – do the Oilers call up another forward on emergency recall?Assuming Smyth shuffles to left wing, and Acton plays the middle. Who is 4th line RW?

Taylor Hall. He plays everywhere.

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Nice article on Krueger’s post Oilers life.

Good to hear him doing well and enjoying life.

44. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks,

He’s probably happier there, too. Closer to home.

…take me with you, Ralph. Take me with you!!!

45. blainer says:

I really do hope for someone like Hanzel or Anisimov. Those are the exact type of players we need. It is too bad that Yaks value is so low because exchanging him for one of those guys puts us that much closer to be able to compete. I am worried we get stuck with Yak while he continues to learn at the expense of the team getting more wins. Worse again if he keeps going the way he is now which is in the wrong direction. I sure hope they can move him for something of value. When I was watching him play in WJC he didn’t seem to be anywhere near the talent that Hall and Rnh displayed when they played.. is it just me or can someone else comment here on my gut feeling…

46. oliveoilers says:

blainer:

“We have to find a way to manufacture some offense and it’s something that we’re going to have to look into this summer as we add and subtract,”

Above is a snippet from DE’s presser the other night. It implies that he believes his system to be sound, but the execution is lacking. Maybe some more Marlies will solve the problem.

47. Andy P says:

Ducey:
    Andy P,

So you are saying Yak is the problem.

haha :)

48. Backhand says:

MItch Holmberg to OKC as well. Hopefully it’s enough to make the playoffs.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 56s

50. blainer says:

I think Yak is just one of many problems and would actually put gagner ahead of him in that category. Also does anyone know if Yakimov or any of the other Russians are available to come over to OKC as well?

51. Bag of Pucks says:

Yakupov’s shot is elite, but his in game decision making is weak. I still think there’s a very good player there and take solace in the fact that you can teach positioning, but you can’t teach that howitzer. He can literally put it behind the goalie before he’s barely moved.

Yak’s usage on the pp is the one thing above all others that gives me concerns that Eakins’ may be more stubborn than smart. The pp should absolutely revolve around Schultz as the puck distributor from the point, Hall as the passer from the left wall, and Yak as the trigger man.

Eakins’ seems bound and determined to break Yak of his bad defensive habits before they become ingrained and he becomes another Ovechkin, a superlative offensive talent who rarely shows up on his team’s side of the blue (-34 this season). I get that. There’s no point in having a player who bleeds as many or more goals against than he gives up. But the team HAS to find a way to maximize the amount of shots Nail gets from scoring positions.

This season Ovechkin has 366 shots in 71 games. By contrast, Nail has 122 shots in 63 games. That is not making best use of this player nor putting him in the best position to succeed imo.

52. Ducey says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 56sChase, Holmberg & Winquist ATOs –> RT @okcbarons Oilers assign Khaira to OKC. Barons sign 3 others to ATOs. Read: http://ow.ly/3iNTks

I am quite impressed that MacT (or maybe Bob Green) is bringing in so many players for a look see.

Holmberg could be a steal. Having the chance to see him first hand before handing him a contract is great.

A little perspective on how young the Oilers are:

Mitch Holmberg born March 9, 1993
    RNH born April 12, 1993
    Klefbom born July 20, 1993
    Yak born October 6, 1993

A guy coming out of junior is older than 3 players on the Oiler roster!

53. VOR says:

Blainer,

54. Caramel Obvious says:

VOR,

Excellent post.

VOR:
    Blainer,

This should be stickied at the top of every thread, or at the very least copy and pasted every time someone posts that Yak is an issue.

Well done sir.

56. blainer says:

VOR,

Thanks for that VOR. Ya I think I am getting a little impatient when it comes to yak and I fear that I am not the only one . I do agree that he has a fantastic shot. Maybe if MacT can get him the correct player mix next year we may finally see what we have. But boy we have got to figure out that power play.

57. spoiler says:

VOR: Blainer,Actually, Yakupov is playing better in many ways this year than last though he is getting ZS push and better linemates as well. His CF% is going up driven by a distinct improvement in positive corsi events per minute that is partly offset by a smaller increase in corsi negative events. In other words he is being more dynamic. He is engaging in fewer pointless puck battles and cheating a bit for defence as well. Part of being a two way player is knowing when to hold them and when to fold them and he is learning that important lesson. Interestingly Yakupov’s corsi + events are rising specifically because he is getting more shots on net per minute, mainly because he is changing the shot mix to use a quicker release. He needs to learn to get a bit closer before he shoots but he is making progress in generating more offence by being smarter. Sadly, all this is masked by terrible PDO comprised of both a shooting slump and terrible goaltending when he is on the ice. A simple visual look at the goals against he is on for (you can go game by game at NHL.com) will show you most of the goals are horrible goaltending and or somebody else’s fault and have little to do with Yakupov – his rate of goal causing mistake is pretty typical for the team as a whole, marginally worse but not significantly so, and improved from last year – feel free to check it out. If the puck was going in for Yakupov we wouldn’t be having this conversation he is not yet creating more than he leaves but he is on his way. Eakins said in a press conference he had talked with Yakupov and told him almost exactly what I just said. The kid is getting better it is just hidden by bad luck. This year he is better at puck possession than his average teammate but his GF% has plunged due to bad luck. Getting rid of Yakupov now would be the exact definition of terrible asset management. There a number of GMs in the NHL who would cheerfully take advantage of MacT is he wanted to trade away a dynamic young player who was in a bad luck slump but who is turning out to be far more coachable than anyone thought. Eakins comments tells you he likes the kid a person. Also, you don’t sit down with a player and spend hours showing him he is actually getting better unless you are super invested in him progressing (ie. being part of your and the team’s futures). Yakupov critics see him bad. His statistics tell a different story. They say we are watching an elite offensive player develop in real time and make real progress but the famous bad luck of sophomore slumps and an exceedingly demanding coach is making us see him bad.

Three cheers for this.

58. Bag of Pucks says:

If we’re looking for a silver lining to this rebuild, I think the strength of the D Corps may be a compelling narrative.

If the team can add Ekblad to a prospect pool that includes Schultz, Klefbom, Nurse, Simpson, Gernat and Musil – we could conceivably be looking at a very dominant defensive corps within 3-5 years.

The huge upside of building the team around blue chip D is that type of team composition can theoretically extend the window in which the team is Cup competitive given that elite D typically have longer careers than elite F’s. If we look at recent history with teams like Detroit (Lidstrom, Chelios, Konstantinov, Rafalski, Kronwall, etc.), New Jersey (Niedermayer, Stevens, Rafalski, Daneyko) and now Boston and LA, having blue chip talent on the back end seems to be a nice formula for giving a team a foundation to compete for Lord Stanley for a good decade or more. The key is a team absolutely has to have that stud 1D in the mix and no teams are trading them away. When they do go FA like Chara, backing up the Brinks truck for them seems pretty shrewd.

While I understand Fs are more a sure thing in the 1st round, time and again we have seen future 1Ds taken with the top picks as well(Doughty, Pieterangelo,Phaneuf, Bouwmeester). If either Ekblad or Nurse is that type of talent? What may have started as a poor rebuild plan focused on Fs may ultimately pay dividends as a stellar plan stocking the D shelves.

One has to stay optimistic, right?

59. OilClog says:

Will Acton is not popular because he himself is a dreg.. He contributes breathing, and more breathing. Probably a mouth breather to boot.

In all honesty, he’s just a terrible NHL level hockey player. He’s barely above the Mendoza line in the AHL. Yet he’s an Oiler.

Most trying season ever.

Where’s Pat Falloon for a good memory or two?

60. blainer says:

Bag of Pucks,

Agreed. Can you imagine having Shea Weber and Drew Doughty as your top pairing. If Nurse and Ekblad both turn out to be Elite like those two it is possible that can happen. I am really high on Nurse, he looks like the real deal. I was a bit pissed when they passed on Nichushkin but am glad they did. I believe Nurse is gonna be just what the DOCTOR ordered..lol.. I would not be surprised though if they pick a centre nor would I be overly upset.

61. FastOil says:

VOR,

Nicely done.

The Oilers roster is so poorly balanced it is hard to see any player in the right light, but especially those learning their craft at the highest level.

Very few players can be good no matter how they are used or who they play with. Most players succeed when the GM and coach put them in a place to do it.

Yakupov is a game breaker. At some point he is going to demand a lot of attention from opposing teams like Hall does, and both will benefit.

62. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rishhaug made some uncomplimentary comments about Marincin just before or after he was sent down to OK city in the fall.
    I would have loved to have recorded it as I was pretty sure that it would come back to bite him in the ass.This guy is the worst representative of the media in Edmonton.

63. Bag of Pucks says:

blainer:
    Bag of Pucks,

Agreed. Can you imagine having Shea Weber and Drew Doughty as your top pairing.

I seem to remember the Olympics giving us a pretty good visual on that pairing ; )

64. blainer says:

Bag of Pucks,

Exactly

65. rickithebear says:

OilClog: Will Acton is not popular because he himself is a dreg.. He contributes breathing, and more breathing. Probably a mouth breather to boot

Acton played with 4 players for an real time.

with:
    Gazdic he was even.
    + 1.46 GD/ 60 better than with others.

Brown he was +1.50GD/60
    + 3.20 GD/60 better than with others.

Eager he was +1.67 GD/60
    +1.67 GD/60 better than with others.

Jeonsuu he was -.85 GD/60 than with others.

3 of 4 forwards had there best results with him!

Gazdic, Brown, Eager, Jeonsuu!

I allways wondered about him every time i looked at team WOWY!

66. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers56s

Looked at Holmberg on EliteProspects. His point totals have gone up every season by roughly 30%, but at the same time his playoff production has almost entirely disappeared.

Thought that was interesting. Small sample size and being keyed upon as a scoring threat probably does some of that, so it isn’t as though I’m trying to call it out.

Also, I love Bob Green as a hockey manager. Love the man. I would pay money to sit and listen to he and Stu MacGregor talk about young hockey players, the philosophy of the game and how to balance a roster.

67. Marcus Oilerius says:

rickithebear: Acton played with 4 players for an real time.

with:
    Gazdic he was even.
    + 1.46 GD/ 60 better than with others.

Brown he was +1.50GD/60
    + 3.20 GD/60 better than with others.

Eager he was +1.67 GD/60
    +1.67 GD/60 better than with others.

Jeonsuu he was -.85 GD/60 than with others.

3 of 4 forwards had there best results with him!

Gazdic, Brown, Eager, Jeonsuu!

I allways wondered about him every time i looked at team WOWY!

You’re relying on a low event stat (goal scoring) during a very limited sample. Shots/chances is what you’d ideally be looking at.

68. rickithebear says:

Marcus Oilerius: You’re relying on a low event stat (goal scoring) during a very limited sample.Shots/chances is what you’d ideally be looking at.

AH! NO!

There is a reason for repetition of improved GD versus CF.

It is not Luck or a Goal differential Fairy!

What it does say!
    How come?
    We need to find out why?

69. rickithebear says:

RexLibris: He is small, and adding both he and Osterle as well as re-signing Arcobello is fascinating to watch given the Oilers’ noted shortcomings (no pun intended).

rickithebear: Signing a collection of mature undrafted players with NHLE that are in the 35p+ range.is a smart way to have potential lower cap forwards for the 5-10 slots on roster.Especially when there NHLE says 12-16 EVG/season.

This. All day.

Pitlick’s knee is acting up again. I don’t think he should be playing.

72. Marcus Oilerius says:

But… but where are we going to get the grit and tenacity of a Will Acton then?

There’s three reasons I want Eakins fired, and one of them is the comment about 4th lines. “Well, I can’t put these guys out there as much as I’d want until we have the lead, and we don’t have the lead very often.” He’s basically admitting they can’t score, can’t play, can’t tie up the game, and implies that they might even lose the lead. So why play them?

73. RexLibris says:

I have no qualms with this, but I think it will be interesting to watch the reaction to it by fans. Also, in years’ past I think the Oilers amateur scouts have been instructed to draft size slightly ahead of skill and I think MacTavish is trying to pull off a retroactive fix on this by pursuing these players who have fallen through the cracks in the draft.

74. RexLibris says:

Pitlick’s knee is acting up again. I don’t think he should be playing.

How much of that is him trying to audition for next season? Young man is probably feeling a lot of pressure to perform.

75. Pouzar says:

Wow, this would be bad if it was April Fools Day but it was published yesterday.

WTF?

76. Derek says:

VOR:
    Blainer,

The more times this is quoted the better. This should come with a highlight package of Hemsky’s recent work with the Ottawa Senators. You could bold the last two paragraphs and include pictures of Murray and Melnyk clapping and smiling as Hemsky goes supernova in a new town.

Except with Yakupov it would be far worse and for much, much longer. For the rest of the league it would be amazing. Like Mike Milbury running the Islanders amazing. Weapons grade stupid.

77. theres oil in virginia says:

VOR, Woodguy, and Spoiler all agree?

Alright, haha, April Fools. You got us good! Now get back to arguing please, it’s getting uncomfortable.

;)

78. Bag of Pucks says:

If buy-in of the young core is an issue, and it’s yes it’s a big IF with only anecdotal information to support the theory, does anyone else on the board like Jagr as an FA acquisition?

One of the key elements this team has lacked since they drafted Hall is a veteran forward WITH skill that the young phenoms can’t ignore.

Jagr’s work ethic and dedication to team is apparently massive at this point in his career. In terms of leadership, it’s hard to envision an active player that would be respected more by the likes of Hall, Nuge, Yak, etc. Biggest bonus of all? He’s still productive AND big.

Skill, production, size, leadership. That seems to tick a lot of boxes for this team. Man, I think he’s absolutely worth a massive 1 year FA overpay. Jagr could be this team’s Crash Davis.

79. fifthcartel says:

Pouzar:

WTF?

80. Wolfie says:

OilClog:

Most trying season ever.

Where’s Pat Falloon for a good memory or two?

I know where Falloon is!!! He helped coach my son’s squirts team this year. His daughter and my son played on the same team. Super nice guy, loves his hockey and the occasional beverage. He told me the most fun he had in the NHL was playing for the Oilers…. So there’s that.

81. blainer says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Marcus

Tyler dellow has a great blog up today on this very topic. I found it really good and definetly woth checking out

fifthcartel: Haha, almost believed it until it said Hall was taking anger management classes.

fifthcartel,

fifthcartel,

82. ashley says:

Derek,

Surely you’re not referring to Ales Hemsky, the former 3RW Oiler not barely worthy of a roster spot and certainly not a new contract offer from one of the worst teams in the league?

rickithebear: Acton played with 4 players for an real time.

with:
    Gazdic he was even.
    + 1.46 GD/ 60 better than with others.

Brown he was +1.50GD/60
    + 3.20 GD/60 better than with others.

Eager he was +1.67 GD/60
    +1.67 GD/60 better than with others.

Jeonsuu he was -.85 GD/60 than with others.

3 of 4 forwards had there best results with him!

Gazdic, Brown, Eager, Jeonsuu!

I allways wondered about him every time i looked at team WOWY!

Excellent point.

Boat anchors do not help you swim.

Arco had awful results with those players as well.

They all had to play in front of the Oilers D too.

84. Derek says:

ashley:
    Derek,

Enigmatic. Bad Body Language. Not a Leader. Hemsky Bad! Gazdic Good!

Puck Possession Fancy Dans Bad! Good old Canadian boys good! Obey Rishaug!

85. oliveoilers says:

Stauffer mentioning that the Oilers have four definite forwards next year (Hall, Ebs, Perron, RNH) with possibly another two in Hendricks and Gordon on the 4th line. You know he repeats what he’s told to. So to recap, management thinks our forwards suck, our defence sucks but our unsustainable goaltending is now fixed. Bob mentions ‘significant moves’ through FA and trades. Gone from changing the coach every year to changing the team. Infinibuild……

theres oil in virginia:
    VOR, Woodguy, and Spoiler all agree?

Alright, haha, April Fools.You got us good!Now get back to arguing please, it’s getting uncomfortable.

I give bouquets or bricks depending on the quality of the post.

I’m an equal opportunity blowhard.

87. Caramel Obvious says:

Woodguy,

The drag effect of a bad fourth line is so larger that I think there needs to be a way to zero out the numbers for defensemen so that only shifts taken with the first three lines count. I’m pretty certain one of the reasons corsi numbers are less useful for D is because the standard deviation is smaller than for forwards and the reason it is smaller is because all D play with the fourth line sometimes.

Quality of teammates is of order of magnitude more important than quality of competition.

88. Derek says:

Re: The latest at http://www.mc79hockey.com/

Can you imagine if the Edmonton Oilers employed 6 actual hockey players on their third and fourth lines taking a majority of the defensive zone starts?

Look at the deployment of Edmonton forwards vs Chicago forwards:

Edmonton

Chicago

Gazdics usage sticks out like a sore thumb. Imagine if Edmonton employed a line of Gagner, Yakupov, Perron like Chicago uses Pirri, Kane and Bickell? I’m aware that they try this with Yakupov and there aren’t as many offensive zone starts to go around on Edmonton as there are Chicago but part of that is because the 4th line always has to be sheltered.

Why waste top 6 offensive deployment on a player like Gazdic who is never a threat to score?

Caramel Obvious:
    Woodguy,

The drag effect of a bad fourth line is so larger that I think there needs to be a way to zero out the numbers for defensemen so that only shifts taken with the first three lines count.I’m pretty certain one of the reasons corsi numbers are less useful for D is because the standard deviation is smaller than for forwards and the reason it is smaller is because all D play with the fourth line sometimes.

Agreed all points.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 33m
    #Oilers defence pairings tonight w/ Scrivens in net –> RT @EdmontonJack Klefbom-Schultz, Marincin-Petry, Fraser-Belov

I bet McLellan tries like hell to get Thorton out vs. Fraser-Belov. Over/under on the number of minutes he’s able to do it? 5?

Klef-Shultz playing 2nds is also a white knuckle pair.

This won’t end well.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 33m
    #Oilers fwd lines in San Jose –> RT @EdmontonJack Hall-RNH-Eberle, Lander-Gagner-Perron, Smyth-Gordon-Pitlick, Hendricks-Acton-Larsen

One line then a bunch of meh.

Go Oilers!!

Clap,clap!

Woodguy: Agreed all points.

I’m not all the way there as it discounts the CF that result in winning the puck back in the dzone and making a good first pass that can turn into a CF.

Mind you, you need F’s who can turn zone exits into zone entries and then CF.

92. Marcus Oilerius says:

oliveoilers,

Even now, I’d rather see Ebs go than Yak. Eberle just doesn’t generate much on his own. Yak does. Lots of chaos, but he will generate something. He gets knocked for his vision, but I think it’s fine. He made some amazing passes (particularly last year). It’s his anticipation of what the opponents will do that sucks.

Eberle is a great complimentary player for Hall, but he doesn’t drive the play. Yak is aggressive. He reminds me of (please don’t kill me) Theoren Fleury in how he plays the game, but obviously he’s got more size and less top speed. Ebs is a Kunitz or Kurri, and while Hall is good with him, Hall is also good with Perron and Yakupov (in limited sample size). Better, possibly.

Forget the Eberle name, look at the numbers, wipe away the Team Canada legend and adjust his sophomore season for shooting percentage, and an emotionless analysis shows a second line scoring winger who relies on extra point production to compensate for his lack of size, and can elevate his game when given space by a superior player. It’s also quite possible that he’s peaked early. Many players peak early and tail off even without major injury concerns. Wolski, Svatos, Comrie, Carson…

93. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: There’s a line of thought that you should only look at CA/60 for Dmen and ignore CF/60 entirely.

Mind you, you need F’s who can turn zone exits into zone entries and then CF.

Amen!

And now we go back to 3 years ago when I was breaking up GF and GA into 96 sets of upper, mid, lower 1st 2nd 3rd 4th comp and ZS.
    looking over the 06-11 lockout data for all FWDS and D
    we get an average GF and GA for a forwards and Dman’s given situation.
    And determine if there performance is above or below average for each.
    the important thing is you can plot a curve for each relative to range of values.
    you get an expected GD for each role.based on the 2 curves and a players Comp team numbers.

94. rich says:

With a defense pairing of Fraser/Belov it makes the decision to stay up and watch versus forego sleep much easier.

First period might…might be close, but with the long change in the 2nd period and our inability to exit the zone with possession, the real action tonight might be the over under on goals against. Scrivens is a battler, but you could put Hasek in net behind that pairing and he’d get burned as well.

Meh.

95. oliveoilers says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    oliveoilers,

Even now, I’d rather see Ebs go than Yak.Eberle just doesn’t generate much on his own.Yak does.Lots of chaos, but he will generate something.He gets knocked for his vision, but I think it’s fine.He made some amazing passes (particularly last year).It’s his anticipation of what the opponents will do that sucks.

Eberle is a great complimentary player for Hall, but he doesn’t drive the play.Yak is aggressive.He reminds me of (please don’t kill me) Theoren Fleury in how he plays the game, but obviously he’s got more size and less top speed.Ebs is a Kunitz or Kurri, and while Hall is good with him, Hall is also good with Perron and Yakupov (in limited sample size).Better, possibly.

Forget the Eberle name, look at the numbers, wipe away the Team Canada legend and adjust his sophomore season for shooting percentage, and an emotionless analysis shows a second line scoring winger who relies on extra point production to compensate for his lack of size, and can elevate his game when given space by a superior player.It’s also quite possible that he’s peaked early.Many players peak early and tail off even without major injury concerns.Wolski, Svatos, Comrie, Carson…

Agreed, out of all of them, Yak is most likely to help Hall ‘push the river’ (I believe that’s the phrase around here) and force the oppositions defence deep into their own zone. I just found it interesting that the Oiler’s official mouth piece would say something like this. Always got to read between the lines with Stauffer, with what he says and what he doesn’t. As I said, his exact quote was “the Oilers have four definite returning forwards for next year, Hall, Eberle, RNH and Perron.”

Now read into that what you may, he [Stauffer] doesn’t say squat without it being vetted first, but from time to time he does try and give us a few spoilers. Does this mean the rest are on the block? Are these the ‘stepping stones’ that MacT alluded to? Hendricks is good, but $1.85m for a 4th liner good? If Lander or Arcobello can take over from Gordon to free up cap space/trade for the obvious overpay coming, does this make sense?

rickithebear: Amen!

looking over the 06-11 lockout data for all FWDS and Dwe get an average GF and GA for a forwards and Dman’s given situation.
    And determine if there performance is above or below average for each.

I would love you like a brother if you changed from GA to CA

97. Bag of Pucks says:

The thing with getting rid of Eberle is we need some players who will outscore in a second line soft mins role and Ebs is perfect for that role.

Check out Steve Larmer. I think he’s a nice comparable for Eberle. Very similar size. Heady player with great hands. Extremely durable. Good team guy.

Consistent scoring production from the wing. These guys are hard to find.

Eberle seems to be buying into Eakin’s system (see his recent quotes on it being easier to win when you play sound defensively). Hall and him are inseparable etc. I think you gotta keep Eberle, just keep him on the second line now. That’s where he fits best.

Hopefully, we can get a 3D or 4D for Gagner. Draft our 1D with Ekblad. Then hope like hell you can sign Stastny to play 1C until Nuge is ready.

If the Sabres take Ekblad, draft the big German for your 2C and then pray like hell Nurse is the real deal.

Short of taking a gamble on Tyer Myers, I think that’s the Oilers’ best options. No one’s going to give this team a stud proven 1D without Hall, Yak, Nuge or the Top 3 pick going the other way.

98. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks,

Then it seems to me the only logical course of action is to legally change the names of all Oilers’ players to Taylor Hall. Then we could trade one of them for the 1D we need. Perhaps also a 2C and maybe even a 3LW/RW before the rest of the league caught on.

99. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris:
    Bag of Pucks,

If it would get Yakupov out of Edmonton, I’m sure Larionov would file the name change papers in a heartbeat!

100. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks:

Yakupov is more likely to be someone who drives the play than Eberle. Yakupov is currently valued lowly around the league, Eberle still retains high value. We can get more for Eberle, and potentially still keep the better player.

101. Bag of Pucks says:

@RexLibris, would you deal Yak for Myers straight up?

102. Bag of Pucks says:

Marcus Oilerius: Yakupov is more likely to be someone who drives the play than Eberle.Yakupov is currently valued lowly around the league, Eberle still retains high value.We can get more for Eberle, and potentially still keep the better player.

Not disputing their comparable market values, but all you’re doing with that trade is moving roster holes around cos then you have to replace Eberle. That’s not team building. That’s deck chair reshuffling.

The theoretical reason you deal one of the core is to bring you back a piece you simply can’t get otherwise on the open market (i.e. 1C or 1D – you could even stretch this to include 2C if it was the right player, a stud two way outscorer). Does Eberle bring that back? I doubt it. If he does, by all means pull the trigger.

103. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks:
    @RexLibris, would you deal Yak for Myers straight up?

104. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks,

You’re sort of correct, but I figure it’s easier filling a second line scoring winger hole (especially when you already have Perron or Yakupov to get that line going) than a top pairing defenceman role. The way we’d do it, is by finding a team that thinks Eberle is a first ling scoring forward, a play driver, rather than a second line scorer, and trading before they come to their senses. So yes, you open a hole on the second line, but you fill a gaping hole in the back end. And what kind of man are you if you don’t want to do THAT?

105. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris: No.

I probably wouldn’t either – yet. Those types of moves take uber brass balls.

But man the GM looks good when you’re the team landing Van Riemsdyk and the other team is left with Luke Schenn.

106. Bag of Pucks says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Bag of Pucks,

So yes, you open a hole on the second line, but you fill a gaping hole in the back end.And what kind of man are you if you don’t want to do THAT?

STD free?

107. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks: STD free?

Touche.

108. jb says:

oliveoilersAlways got to read between the lines with Stauffer, with what he says and what he doesn’t.As I said, his exact quote was “the Oilers have four definite returning forwards for next year, Hall, Eberle, RNH and Perron.”

Tell me more about these spoilers please? So in your world MacT sits down with Stauffer and lays out his thoughts and intentions? Then says keep it all a secret, just throw out a little spoiler here and there? I’d like to learn more about Stauffer’s opinions being connected to MacT.

109. thejonrmcleod says:

oliveoilers,

So Stauffer really said that Gordon and Hendricks should go on the fourth line? That sounds promising. Did he say this on his show? Do you know what day? I’d like to listen.

110. Andy P says:

Pouzar:

WTF?

You commented at 1:08pm. You are supposed to stop that crap by noon :)

111. oliveoilers says:

jb: Tell me more about these spoilers please?So in your world MacT sits down with Stauffer and lays out his thoughts and intentions? Then says keep it all a secret, just throw out a little spoiler here and there? I’d like to learn more about Stauffer’s opinions being connected to MacT.

Wow. Did I say MacT does that? Now, I know that because you post on this site, then de facto, you must be a smart cookie and didn’t mean to come off like a douche. So, with your benefit of the doubt in place, I will explain MY point of view. (Being MINE and only a POV). While MacT may not whisper sweet nothings in Bob’s ear over Chardonnay and Fondue, Bob is employed by the Oilers, travels with the Oilers and has UNPARALLED access to the Oilers from a media perspective. Every so often, a few days before an announcement (usually a trade) Bob will say something like “Don’t be surprised if such a situation occurs.” Stauffer’s opinions are heavily vetted by the organisation, I don’t think there are many organisations out there that are more touchy about their image at the moment. This may be a bad thing as Bob can’t publically slam his employers, anymore than we can, but he does his best to be as honest as he can.

So “In My World”, where I live and stuff, this is the reality. Stauffer works for an organisation that has MacT as General Manager. That’s what connects Stauffer’s opinion to MacT, in layman’s terms. I can print it in crayon on construction paper circles, if that would make you more comfortable.

112. oliveoilers says:

thejonrmcleod:
    oliveoilers,

He did! It gave me a little hope. It was today, when he’d just finished talking to Arcobello, I think. Maybe about an hour into the show? He intimated a lot of problems would be solved by having Gordon and Hendricks on the 4th Line. Of course that means we need an entire third line, but hey, no worries!

113. oliveoilers says:

Andy P: You commented at 1:08pm. You aresupposed to stop that crap by noon

LOL, the sad thing is, some of that article is achievable with this management group.

114. fifthcartel says:

Third half hour today, around 20:40 “Gordon and Hendricks are servicable bottom 6 forwards, but might be better suited as 4th liners”.

I think he mentioned it another time during the show as well. I’m not sure if I have faith they could acquire an entire 3rd line, but that would go a long way towards improving next year.

Bag of Pucks,

Yak 2LW.

116. Andy P says:

Bag of Pucks:

117. Bag of Pucks says:

Andy P: Jagr declined us before we became this level of shirt show. Why would he join now? So Bucky can dumb him down?

He’s playing for two things now 1) love of the game & 2) massive chunks of cheese. Guy lost his shirt to gambling losses.

I think you sink the hook with a massive overpay, big on the $’s with a 1 year term (and sell him hard on the leadership role). These kids worship you, you could leave a meaningful imprint on a future Cup winner, we’ll promise you a job in the org afterwards, etc.

If Jagr can sell Eakins’ message to the core, he’s worth his weight in gold.

118. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy:
    Bag of Pucks,

Yak 2LW.

Next year or long-term? If that’s Yak’s final ceiling, this rebuild’s in trouble.

119. Younger Oil says:

Sadly, the only thing that makes watching the Oilers entertaining for me anymore is whenever Gagner steps on the ice, I mute the TV commentary, and watch Gagner for the entire shift while playing this:

Doesn’t have to be Gagner, just your least favorite defensively oblivious Oiler.

120. oliveoilers says:

fifthcartel:

Thanks Fifth! Trying to cook dinner while looking after kids and convalescing wife, didn’t have time to dig. May something awesome happen to you soon!

121. Ducey says:

When the Oilers are sleepwalking thru another beating tonight, remember the odds:

If they finish 29th they have an 18.8% chance of picking 1st, 25% of picking 2nd and 56.2 % of picking 3rd.

122. Lois Lowe says:

Bag of Pucks,

I would love for Jagr to come to Edmonton on a 1 year overpay. The major issue that I see isn’t how bad Edmonton is, it’s the travel schedule. Vancouver could also use a guy like him but they have the same issue. I think players will deal with the travel if they’re living in California, but western Canada is a non-starter for many.

123. Rondo says:

Ducey,

We will find out April 15th

124. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks: I probably wouldn’t either – yet. Those types of moves take uber brass balls.

That was a very good move by Burke, but he was also aided in Philadelphia having Brayden Schenn (sibling pairs always make GMs a little dumber) and, well, it was Holmgren.

In the Oilers/Sabres case I think both teams could gain, I’m just not certain how comfortable each would be with the moves. The Sabres have a big center in Grigorenko and perhaps a 4th-ish overall pick in the Islanders’ selection. The Oilers may have the 2nd overall and a collection of young prospects including Yakupov. Can they find a deal to work? Maybe, but I’m not the GM and I don’t have access to the priority list for either of the parties involved.

All that being said, I think there may be a deal in there somewhere. It helps that MacTavish wants to move out of the rebuild phase that Buffalo is just entering (officially, at least), that both are, in some sense, dealing from a position of weakness, and that they have no overlapping geographic interests that need to be served as was the case in the negotiations with Vancouver for Schneider last June.

125. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Some interesting things:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 34m
    Tim Murray, “If Ekblad is the best player available that we deem at the end of the year we’ll take Ekblad” http://audio.wgr550.com/a/89654095/4-1-sabres-gm-tim-murray.htm

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 24m
    Yes, also said didn’t view Ekblad as a franchise-level dman RT @BuffSportsFan90: Murray said really good things about Reinhart and Drasaitl.

126. Marc says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    oliveoilers,

I’m sorry, but your premise is flat out wrong. For Eberle to be a second line winger there would have to be at least 30 RW in the league better than him. Go to NHL.com. Go to the stats page and isolate the RW. Tell me which 30 players are better than Eberle – the guys that you’d trade Eberle straight up for and feel confident that you’ve won the deal.

For the past 3 seasons Eberle has been consistently in the top 15 in RW scoring – 6th, 10th and currently 12th. Depending on how you value experience, likelihood of improvement, two way play, grit, eye glow etc. he probably doesn’t make anyone’s list of the top ten RW in hockey, but there is no freaking way he is not in the top 20. None. That makes him an average to good first line RW.

If you want to trade Eberle because you think he’ll fetch the top pairing D or the big center we need, fine. I don’t agree, because I think that NHL GM’s don’t value top line wingers as highly as they value top pairing D or big top 6 centers, but I think it’s a valid and reasonable view to hold.

But don’t pretend that Eberle is just a bog standard, dime a dozen second line winger. He’s not. There is no reasonable way, no way that you can look at his boxcars or his advanced stats, and rationally argue that he is.

Rant over. Whew.

127. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Also,

I like this Holmberg kid:

mitch holmberg ‏@mitchholmberg17 Protected Tweets Mar 16
    The oilers may be the hottest team right now

I don’t know if he’s earnest or not (seems impossible to be earnest about such a thing)… but either way it’s hilarious.

mitch holmberg ‏@mitchholmberg17 Protected Tweets 29m
    Had such an amazing time playing for @chiefshockey thanks for everything and all the memories. Off to new adventures #chiefs #barons

128. Acumen says:

Ducey:

What about New Jersey winning it? Presumably nothing would change and it would add percentage points to Buffalo’s chance, right?

edit: Never mind, helps to actually read the article. Sorry!

129. OilClog says:

rickithebear: Acton played with 4 players for an real time.

with:
    Gazdic he was even.
    + 1.46 GD/ 60 better than with others.

Brown he was +1.50GD/60
    + 3.20 GD/60 better than with others.

Eager he was +1.67 GD/60
    +1.67 GD/60 better than with others.

Jeonsuu he was -.85 GD/60 than with others.

3 of 4 forwards had there best results with him!

Gazdic, Brown, Eager, Jeonsuu!

I allways wondered about him every time i looked at team WOWY!

2-4 of the 4 throw knuckles for a living, 1 use to, 1 is just big.

2 knuckle chuckers, well we know why they’re played.

Joenssu was an unknown size from the islanders so clearly he was gonna be real good.

Acton, what does he do again? He’s a Petrell.

And is he even that level then?

Why is he taking faceoffs over Lander?! Why is Lander a second line winger?! Who’s brilliance said that’s a good idea.

Comedy hour at the Nut house.

130. OilClog says:

All this Mitch Holmberg talk

131. Pouzar says:

Marc: I’m sorry, but your premise is flat out wrong.For Eberle to be a second line winger there would have to be at least 30 RW in the league better than him. Go to NHL.com.Go to the stats page and isolate the RW.Tell me which 30 players are better than Eberle – the guys that you’d trade Eberle straight up for and feel confident that you’ve won the deal.

If you want to trade Eberle because you think he’ll fetch the top pairing D or the big center we need, fine.I don’t agree, because I think that NHL GM’s don’t value top line wingers as highly as they value top pairing D or big top 6 centers, but I think it’s a valid and reasonable view to hold.

But don’tpretend that Eberle is just a bog standard, dime a dozen second line winger.He’s not. There is no reasonable way, no way that you can look at his boxcars or his advanced stats, and rationally argue that he is.

Rant over. Whew.

Talk about a post that should be “stickied”.

The opening round series look porridge

133. Bag of Pucks says:

Lois and Rex, agree on all fronts.

134. cabbiesmacker says:

The opening round series look porridge

I’ve got STL not making the West Conf finals.

Kings – Bruins Final

135. Marcus Oilerius says:

Laraque open up with both barrels on Rishaug, Oilers management, and Gazdic.

Tweets in link.

fifthcartel:

So Stauffer calling Gordon and Hendricks 4th liners is the equivalent of Stauffer calling MacT incompetent.

137. oliveoilers says:

Rant over. Whew.

Well, thanks for letting us know it was a rant. We’re not pretending “that Eberle is just a bog standard, dime a dozen second line winger.” That was the point. We were just being realistic of his attributes and limitations. Is his game similar to Hall and Yak’s? Does he use his speed and size to blow by d-men? No, he uses his considerable hockey skill to be where the puck is going to end up. Look at the goal against Minne. Ference shoot in, and who’s there following it up? I own an Eberle jersey, for Fox Creek. Unfortunately, Eberle is one of the only Oilers who’s name isn’t Hall that holds any, ANY, viable trade value. LT said a couple of months back about people having to decide what our players are re Gagner. Posters calling him crap, then saying he couldn’t go for less than a 1st rounder. As Ray Ferraro once quoted when walking to team-mates in Atlanta, excited at getting trade from a terrible team; “Guy’s, we’re in last place. Who wants to trade for us?”

I said a couple of articles ago. MacT has to Draft/Sign/Trade for value, then “flip” players. Stepping stones. This is what he has to work with, if he wants to keep players like Ebs. If not, then we really have to speculate to accumulate. If we don’t spend big, then the reclamation projects will just keep coming, a la Whitney and Barker.

138. oliveoilers says:

godot10: Both Gordon and Hendricks are being paid like 3rd liners, and both have term, and MacT acquired both voluntarily.

Ha, never thought of it like that! Could be, could be….Is Stauffer that subtle?

oliveoilers: Ha, never thought of it like that!Could be, could be….Is Stauffer that subtle?

Gordon is competent 3rd line centre, and a nice contract.

Hendricks has too much term. It is not fatal, just non-confidence-inspiring in the GM’s cap management.

140. stevezie says:

OilClog,

I don’t mind the Petrells of the world if they can turn horrific zone starts into non-events.

I thought Vigneault’s use of Malholtra was revelatory, and I’m surprised it didn’t quickly become the norm.

141. OilClog says:

stevezie:
    OilClog,

So you’re saying Acton is not Petrell.

142. OilClog says:

I think the Sharks finally take the West, this is their best chance if there ever was one.

143. jake70 says:

Mike Babcock tonight interviewed on PTS. Some of his comments on strength up the middle…nothing earthshattering but the guy has won a few things. This was part of an answer to a question on teaching young scorers to check (context being defensive play , not checking as in pasting people to the boards). Helps when you have the personnel but you get the point.

“So on our team when you look at the middle of our rink right now we have Legwand, we have Sheehan, we go to Helm and we go to Glendenning, everyone of them can play against anyone on the other team so I’m not scared to death to have them on the ice..If I was they’d be playing on the wing and I’d move someone else in the middle….so to me the whole game is controlled by who is up the middle and who is on the back end so if I’m building a team that’s how I do it, I don’t worry about the wingers, we’ll get them later…you need centremen that can play 2 ways and if they don’t play 2 ways in the end you can’t win because the guy you’re counting on can’t get himself on the right side of the puck enough”

144. Hammers says:

OilClog:

Easy pickings but who knows after the next game .So fed up with the owner ; the management ; the coaches & the team . Been dinking but boy no more buying tickets . Probably the only message that would get to Mr. Katz . Loved the NAME OILERS for 35 years and ESKIMOS longer but tired out wishing for a repeat of the past and sick to my guts of the current situation .

145. Jon K says:

stevezie:
    OilClog,

The Niedermayer, Pahlsson, and Moen line of 06-07 Anaheim come to mind. I think the blogosphere took to calling it something like “the nothing line”. There are probably other examples going back further, in terms of defensive lines utilized to take the heavy lifting and defensive zone starts.

146. tcho says:

I’m watching the Blues-Flyers game. Interesting watching what appears to be two very different strategies. Philly seems okay with giving up possession (dump and chase, fire drill in the d-zone, so just get it across the blue line), vs. the possession style of St. Louis. No question, to my eye, which appears the more dominant strategy.

147. jb says:

oliveoilersfrom a media perspective

I had no idea I came across as a know it all dick online. Thanks. Who knows maybe I know some things about stuff.

P.s I’m smarter than you because I said so. You can even ask my mom. You still play with crayons? I’m Not sure your smrt enough for this site like I am.

148. oliveoilers says:

jb: Exactly. Maybe ask Taylor Hall who the untouchables are, he too travels with the team and has an opinion.

Do you need to hug it out, big guy?

Pissing contests on blogs are the absolute best!

150. Derek says:

Pissing contests on blogs are the absolute best!

I can write my name in old cyrillic in the snow. Your move, Lowetidians.

151. VanOil says:

Pissing contests on blogs are the absolute best!

Aww man now I have to go back and read the above posts.

152. denny33 says:

jake70,

Good quote….

153. Surly says:

Eberle had a good 15 feet lead on Marleau during that last turnover. It looks like Eberle tries to pivot backwards and line up a hit, doesn’t judge Marleau’s speed correctly so he turns again but by then he’s too late and the break is on the other way.

Eberle didn’t give up on the play, just a poor decision. I suspect these are the little things this team needs to learn, hopefully.

154. oliveoilers says:

Awww, nuts.

155. OilClog says:

There’s no snow in victoria..

Win

156. jp says:

Well Nuge isn’t trying to get Smyth the record breaker…

157. oliveoilers says:

I don’t like the way the other team looks at our net when we’re on the PP….

158. Gerta Rauss says:

I love those little off angle, cross grain shot attempts by Perron-they always create a little chaos and he’s scored on a couple of them to boot.

159. steveb12344 says:

jp:
    Well Nuge isn’t trying to get Smyth the record breaker…

Ya, I was shocked he didn’t make that pass.

160. oliveoilers says:

Honest question: If SJ tank in the play-offs (again), does Jumbo Joe get dumped? Or is there a bigger clean out?

Marincin makes me happy.

162. spoiler says:

Laser beam from Han Solo Hall.

163. Gerta Rauss says:

Beauty pass from Ted in traffic

Hall Hall Hall.

oliveoilers:
    Honest question:If SJ tank in the play-offs (again), does Jumbo Joe get dumped?Or is there a bigger clean out?

166. spoiler says:

Larsen was scaring me that last shift.

167. Marcus Oilerius says:

Haha the reaction from that girl after he punched the glass!

168. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: I think he’ll open a rib shack near the ocean, maybe paint some trees and smoke a mile.

Kind of go ‘Point Break’? I can see him as the new Swayze.

169. rich says:

Jumbo Joe schools Lander, Hall comes out and makes self smaller and Boyle waits to pick him.

Couple of good veteran plays by SJ.

170. Surly says:

Lander does everything he can to get out of the way of that Boyle shot instead of trying to block it. If I’m on an AHL call up, I think I dive in front of that one. Then again, I have never taken blocked an NHL shot.

171. Prince Rupert's Oildrop says:

Scrivens at .600 at the moment

172. rich says:

Surly,

That was Hall, not Lander.

173. Surly says:

rich:
    Surly,

That was Hall, not Lander.

174. Prince Rupert's Oildrop says:

Man, we got Mitch Hedberg? The guy’s a legend!

175. rich says:

Nice PK so far. For all the crap directed at Acton (the player), the coach is putting him in on the PK (as opposed to Nuge) and he’s been good in the lanes with an active stick. Not bad at all.

176. Gerta Rauss says:

That’s too bad-I thought it was a decent first period and we’re still down 2-1

177. rich says:

Surly,

You are correct. I was looking at Hall being up on Boyle – not looking down low.

178. spoiler says:

Surly: Watch the replay. Lander is at the side of the net, looking at Boyle, and flinches backwards away from the goal when the shot comes through.

Saw movement out of the corner of his eye and reacted reflexively.

179. RexLibris says:

Derek: I can write my name in old cyrillic in the snow.Your move, Lowetidians.

You, sir, are a God amongst men. I doff my cap to you…and stand well outside of the splash radius.

180. Surly says:

spoiler: Saw movement out of the corner of his eye and reacted reflexively.

181. spoiler says:

Surly: Corner of his eye? looked at it again and he is staring directly at Boyle during the entire sequence of the shot.Perhaps he shouldn’t be committing to the block in favour of marking his man (Jumbo Joe who is behind the net now)…I’m no hockey coach…just miss the old days when Oilers would, more often, demonstrate they would put it all on the line for the W.

I watched it again…. geez man I don’t know anyone who would step in front of that… you would be completely exposed. That’s a helluva lot different than going down in front of the shooter. I can see what you’re saying, but I doubt they would coach him to take that kind of risk.

182. RexLibris says:

Hey LT, read your piece on Ekblad over at Nations.

Certainly hard to argue with what he has done this year, but I do worry about the translation of so many PP points to the professional game. Not saying he’s a blueline Schremp, but I’d be worried about statistical anomalies and dominance due to size at the junior level.

At the end you ask what the Oilers should do if the Sabres draft Ekblad. With all due respect, if that is the case then in my opinion, the fans of the Oilers ought to be thankful that they’ve been gifted with one of Reinhart or Draisaitl.

RexLibris:
    Hey LT, read your piece on Ekblad over at Nations.

184. Ice Sage says:

Well no April Fool for the Sharks.
    It’s all over but the strokin’

185. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I think the answer is Draisaitl, and for me that’s just fine. Solve the D problem with veterans and wait for the current kids.

I like Draisaitl. I love Reinhart, but as always, I’ll leave that call to the professionals and trust their judgment. I just pray that neither one falls to the Flames or I’ll be really ticked.

186. fifthcartel says:

Mark Fraser is so awful.

187. rich says:

Fraser – the gift that keeps on giving…

188. jp says:

rich:
    Fraser – the gift that keeps on giving…

Getting the extra 2 was kinda BS there though.

189. Marcus Oilerius says:

Desjardins comes in 1-on-3 and almost scores with the chaos that Acton causes.

190. spoiler says:

Nice play by Acton there.

191. spoiler says:

Eberle was everywhere on that shift.

192. Pouzar says:

spoiler:
    Eberle was everywhere on that shift.

Meh…doesn’t create on his own.

193. spoiler says:

Golden Nugget snaps one that doesn’t go over the net for a change.

194. Surly says:

Credit where due, that was some excellent pushback by the Oil these past few min. Nice to see them/Nuge rewarded for the effort.

baby Nuge with a nice goal there.

196. spoiler says:

Da NUUUUUGGGGEEEEEE scores ugly.

197. Marcus Oilerius says:

The kids are just blowing up tonight! Two by the nugget!

198. rich says:

Nice to see Nuge pot one…make that two!?

199. jp says:

Huh. Nice goal. “Vintage” almost.

Newer Comments »