OXFORD BLUES

The signing of Dillon Simpson appears imminent, and it’s a big damn deal. If you look at the Oilers depth chart, and ask yourself how they’ll acquire established talent this summer, the answer is trading young defensemen.

Dillon Simpson is not an offensive defender but he can move the puck and was employed on the UND power play. Oiler fans should expect more of a ‘defense-first’ type as described in this recent game summary:

• Dillon Simpson’s final game for North Dakota was one for the ages. He was huge, and I’m not just talking about the two back door plays he broke up. He also blocked two shots, played a ton of minutes, and assisted on Connor Gaarder’s game-tying goal.

Simpson is a LH defender and based on his progress in the NCAA I’ll be fascinated to see how much time he spends in the minor leagues. Edmonton has drafted several college men over the years and they don’t spend a lot of time in the minors. Matt Greene (26 games), Tom Gilbert (48 games) and Jeff Petry (49 games) spent less than a season in the minors—and it’s reasonable to assume Simpson will be pushing for NHL time in the next 12 months.

It sounds like negotiations are going well, as indicated by Craig Simpson (Dillon’s Dad) at the Edmonton Oilers site:

• “I know that they’re talking anyways and I think Scott Howson and Dillon and his agent are discussing. The big thing this week for Dillon because they’ve missed so much school, is to check with the academic advisors to make sure that he can get his degree with the couple of courses that he has left to finish. I know that he’s obviously excited about and was when he got drafted, about being a member of the Edmonton Oilers and I’m sure that will come fairly quickly.”

In December, ranked the Oilers prospect blue thusly:

• #1 Darnell Nurse
  • #2 Oscar Klefbom
  • #3 Martin Marincin
  • #8 Dillon Simpson
  • #9 Martin Gernat
  • #13 Taylor Fedun
  • #14 David Musil
  • #19 Erik Gustafsson
  • #22 Brandon Davidson
  • #26 Brad Hunt
  • #29 Joey Laleggia
  • #33 Ben Betker

denver uThe Oilers have LH defender Andrew Ference signed through 2017, and of course all of Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse are lefties too. I think Dillon Simpson will be pushing for NHL employment sooner than later, and Craig MacTavish may end up trading one of the other youngsters in order to add a major piece.

If they move Marincin in a deal for a more established NHL defender, the Oilers will still have Klefbom, Nurse and Simpson at the ready. When we’re discussing that three for one deal, the signing of Simpson should improve the argument.

67 Responses to "OXFORD BLUES"

1. Philosophil says:

Can’t have enough depth. Can any of these young D play C? Seriously.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That little drop in the middle is a nice item. Having J Legs go back for his senior year is good news. It’s a minor item, but it’s one that falls the best for the Oil, and the player.

I wonder about the Swede now.

————–
    “If you look at the Oilers depth chart, and ask yourself how they’ll acquire established talent this summer, the answer is trading young defensemen.”

I think this is how MacT sees it too… but I think it’s a mistake to ignore the free agent market here. There are some nice things I they have it to market.

3. LMHF#1 says:

DO. NOT. TRADE. MARINCIN.

They get a pick right, develop him right, get a guy with unique skills then trade him instead of Nurse or Klefbom? Please don’t. I just can’t see that working out. Obviously if it is a home run you do it, but can’t you convince the trade partner to take one of the others?

Don’t deny this team a home-grown Pitkanen.

4. jake70 says:

LMHF#1:
    DO. NOT. TRADE. MARINCIN.

Don’t deny this team a home-grown Pitkanen.

Agree. The home grown thing is key. When you have a few of these guys, they grow together, learn to give a shit about each other. Even the HEN line played with a number of those Barons. Of course they have to be good players.

5. VanOil says:

Yeah, Simpson is going to sign!!!

Also, reuniting him with the big Center standing in front of the net during that clip would be great. Brock Nelson for Gagner is my preference in a NYI forward for forward trade. Josh Bailey is older and wiser but does not have the up side.

I’m picking the Blues, despite the evidence. Is this wise? http://www.puckrant.com/Comments/slapshot/432

7. season not played says:

It would be nice if one of these LHS defence prospects could develop into a good right side option.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

season not played:

I think they still have faith in Schultz.

Joey Legs; Gustafsson; Betker; Osterle are all left too.

Not much in the pipe on the right side. Fedun is about it.

9. stevezie says:

LMHF#1,

I don’t think Pitkanen is a great comp, but I agree that Klefbom is probably the guy you look to deal.

I think his draft pedigree and WJC all-star selection means he would get a better return and I am afraid of his injury history.

Either way, though, the trade is going to depend on the return. As long as they get the right guy back, I could live with losing either,

10. Pouzar says:

why are we dealing any of the D-men who have shown(Klef, Eminem), albeit in a small sample size, that they can play really damn well in the NHL?

11. leadfarmer says:

If you’re happy the season is done and you dont have to watch any more boring oilers hockey I would suggest turning on the chi stl game.

12. sliderule says:

LMHF#1,

Lowetide tried to trade Smid for years and now its Marincin.lol

Unfortunately he is right if they trade one of the young D Marincin will be the one.

I don’t think that’s what Eakins from his words agrees with and that might be his saviour..

Pouzar:
    why are we dealing any of the D-men who have shown(Klef, Eminem), albeit in a small size, that they can play really damn well in the NHL?

Ordinarily I agree it’s a bad day when you’re sending away someone who has not made themselves known (bigger upside than anticipated). However, if the Oilers plan on getting a stud defender—and MacT said that was the goal—there’s not going to be room for all of them.

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 34s

Oiler farmhand Tyler Pitlick was playing here with a broken kneecap late in season after blocking shot.#Oilers

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 34s

How much do you think he tried to play through that to make an impression?

Also… is this damn kid cursed?

man, forget the Oilers… I feel awful for this guy.

16. nelson88 says:

Apologies if this has already been posted but interesting read.

17. Pouzar says:

I haven’t watched a single minute of playoff hockey so far. I will probably watch less than a games worth of playoffs. I am a bitter embattled Oiler fan. I have been fortunate enough to watch my beloved Red Sox, Celtics, and Steelers win championships in the last few years. I am frickin starving for my Oilers to win. Heck I didn’t even care about the Olympics with my appetite being more than satiated with Salt Lake and Vancouver victories. But yet the other side of me is oddly patient. Disturbingly so. I don’t want to get rid of a single kid that has shown they could be here when things finally turn North. When accessing who to keep and who to let go I ask myself “Can you see player X here when we make it past the 1st rd of the playoffs?”

Until then…I will read everything Oilers and be unhealthily obsessed with this team.

18. sliderule says:

I don’t think he has said that he will trade a high end prospect for a defender.

What I got from his presser is that there will be no Ference’s Belovs or Grebeshov’s brought in.

19. One-Timer says:

Holy crap… a playoff prediction!
    The post-mortem has been so intense around here that I was beginning to wonder if anyone was actually watching any hockey. The Young Guns are golfing somewhere (hopefully there’s a good gym and buffet in the hotel), so enjoy some seriously good opening round match-ups.

I’m gonna say Boston and San Jose in the final. Sharks have to break through one of these years, don’t they?

20. RexLibris says:

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 34s

I think Matheson is in love.

And I second Rom, is this kid our new JF Jacques? Poor guy can’t buy a (good) break.

Maybe he’s just getting all his bad juju out all at once and he’ll set a new iron man streak starting next year.

I’d be very reluctant to trade Marincin this summer with the expectation that Simpson becomes the next LHD to replace him. Didn’t they do that with Gilbert when Petry appeared ready? and?

Jeez, it seemed like once Marincin arrived and paired with Petry this dumpster-fire season began to straighten out, and now we’re facing the prospect of trading him. *sigh* I know they need a big upgrade and MacTavish wants the Belle of the Ball rather than just another wallflower, but it just seems like this could go very, very badly so easily.

What would be bold for the OIlers would be to keep Simpson in OKC for a season before promoting him to the NHL. Give a D-kid time to learn his craft? Nah, he can figure it out on the ice and listening to Smith on the bench.

Sorry for the rant, I just really like what this kid means to the organization for a number of reasons and I hate the idea of moving him along so soon.

21. One-Timer says:

Pouzar,

I have no qualms about watching and enjoying good teams in playoff hockey, but I know what you mean. Right now I think I love this blog more than I love the Oilers…

* laughs hysterically, then sobs *

sliderule:

MacT: “In my mind I’d like to add a very high-end defenseman.”

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: MacT: “In my mind I’d like to add a very high-end defenseman.”

“In my mind I often meet Kate Upton”

24. gcw_rocks says:

Willis has a nice post up on ON about some of the stupid things MacT had to say about the assistant coaches. After those “glowing” endorsements, how does Dallas fire them now, even if he wants to?

When will this guy learn to shut up? Ask he had to say was, “evaluating the assistant coaches is Dallas’ responsibility.”

25. OilBomber says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You beat me to it. Well said.

MacT: For the sake of the fanbase, please – I implore you – do not make a trade for a “high end defenseman” and empty the cupboards of the shiny young players that we have gotten attached to. Whether we choose to believe it or not, Edmonton is a second rate city when compared to many of the other NHL cities and simply cannot offer the quality of life that can be found elsewhere. If this acquisition does not leave at the first opportunity it will be because he is overpaid.

Furthermore, the last 8 years have been akin to a slow march through a desert of futility. Trading the young up and comers at this point would be cruel and unnecessary punishment.

26. Ryan says:

Jaden Schwartz says, “yes.”

27. Ryan says:

LMHF#1:
    DO. NOT. TRADE. MARINCIN.

Don’t deny this team a home-grown Pitkanen.

Trade Klefbomb instead… His better draft pedigree hopefully helps.

28. Ryan says:

gcw_rocks:
    Willis has a nice post up on ON about some of the stupid things MacT had to say about the assistant coaches.After those “glowing” endorsements, how does Dallas fire them now, even if he wants to?

When will this guy learn to shut up?Ask he had to say was, “evaluating the assistant coaches is Dallas’ responsibility.”

Bucky’s priorities:

1. His six pack abs
    2. His tan
    3. Drinking at his pigeon lake lakefront cabin.

29. Ryan says:

I went to a hypnotherapist who’s convinced me that the Blue are really the Oilers. Welcome back to 2006 for me. Cheers boys.

30. Ryan says:

Hawks Vs Blues/oilers is one hell of a hockey game. :)

31. Ribs says:

Romulus Apotheosis: “In my mind I often meet Kate Upton”

“At least I’m safe inside my mind” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7luZZ4mxY

32. One-Timer says:

Ryan:
    Hawks Vs Blues/oilers is one hell of a hockey game.

Feels like the Corsi is at about 55% aside. So good.

33. One-Timer says:

Ryan:
    I went to a hypnotherapist who’s convinced me that the Blue are really the Oilers.Welcome back to 2006 for me.Cheers boys.

34. Ryan says:

One-Timer: Feels like the Corsi is at about 55% aside.So good.

Chicago’s d is owning the blues. I love the Blues, but after watching this game, my gut says no way they beat Chicago.

35. Ryan says:

One-Timer: Well both jerseys have some blue on them, but it would take The Great Raveen to make me confuse one for the other.

Yes, the man they call Raveen.

True story, I won tickets to his show by calling in to a radio station when I was 12. Never went though lol.

2006 was too long ago.

36. One-Timer says:

Ryan,

Agree with you for the Hawks, but it’ll be epic.

Feeling good about my Sharks prediction. (Microscopic sample size alert.)

37. One-Timer says:

Ryan: Yes, the man they call Raveen.

True story, I won tickets to his show by calling in to a radio station when I was 12.Never went though lol.

2006 was too long ago.

I think I saw him at Klondike Days when I was about that age. Did a Mrs. Piggy and Kermie thing on total strangers that was pretty damn funny.
    “Wide awake!”

38. Ryan says:

One-Timer: I think I saw him at Klondike Days when I was about that age.Did a Mrs. Piggy and Kermie thing on total strangers that was pretty damn funny.
    “Wide awake!”

So much good hockey tonight. Wtf? Where is everyone lol?

Stastny with the game tying plaoff goal. HUS price just went up another $150 k x 7 years.

39. Ryan says:

Wow. Steen!

40. One-Timer says:

What the hell… six seconds in?

41. druid99999 says:

Watching Scott Oake sign a towel is truly compelling television.

42. One-Timer says:

And to think that Ott was languishing in Buf to start the year.

PJ Stock:
    “I hate those stupid stats! The game is played on the ice!”

43. G Money says:

Ryan: So much good hockey tonight. Wtf? Where is everyone lol?

We’re resting in anticipation of the playoffs*.

*Reminder: playoffs for Edmonton Oiler fans will take place June 27th and 28th in Philadelphia.

44. commonfan14 says:

Somewhere MacT is watching replays of MacKinnon (aka the #1 we DIDN’T get) set up that OT winner, taking a long sip off a mini Disani bottle, thinking of McDavid, and scribbling out a 1-year contract offer for Mark Fraser on the back of a napkin.

45. Marcus Oilerius says:

I don’t know which games you guys were watching tonight, if any, but LA vs SJ and CHI vs STL both demonstrated the value of size, IMO. The games are so physical and there were so many battles along the boards.

I love Bennett and think he’ll be a better player, but Draisaitl might be the better fit even if he produces 25% less points.

46. One-Timer says:

druid99999:
    Watching Scott Oake sign a towel is truly compelling television.

Signing a towel is really hard.

47. Big Dan says:

What a terrific two nights of hockey. The Montreal-Tampa game was fantastic but it was NOTHING compared to the Colorado-Minnesota game. Chicago-St.Louis was good too. It’s only Day Two and I have NO fingernails.

I have officially adopted Colorado as my favorite team rental for the next couple months. They are what the Oilers were dreaming of becoming when they started this BS rebuild.

Guys, forget about the Oilers and enjoy the fantastic hockey for the next couple months. Last year, the Detroit-Anaheim first round series was crazy exciting. So was the Cup finals. This first two days is an indication this may be the best playoffs ever. Boston-Montreal in round two – that’d be nuts!

48. One-Timer says:

commonfan14:

And he realizes Stastny has just priced himself out of the Edmonton market.

49. G Money says:

One-Timer: And he realizes Stastny has just priced himself out of the Edmonton market.

Glass half-full – it also means that Colorado is going to have a really tough time NOT signing him to a massive contract, which dramatically increases the likelihood that ROR might shake free at a more affordable price.

For all the flash of the Stastny plays, it cannot be overstated the value to that team of having ROR doing the heavy two-way lifting and freeing Stastny and company to do their thing.

50. Caramel Obvious says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    I don’t know which games you guys were watching tonight, if any, but LA vs SJ and CHI vs STL both demonstrated the value of size, IMO.The games are so physical and there were so many battles along the boards.

That’s the conclusion you drew from the Chicago–St. Louis series?

The best players for St. Louis for most of the game were Sobotka, Tarasenko, and Schwartz. That game was strong evidence that size doesn’t matter.

51. Caramel Obvious says:

gcw_rocks:

To borrow a phrase, when will this guy learn to shut up? Your act is tired.

52. 719 says:

Any interest for Columbus prospect Michael Chaput? Seems like Columbus may be looking for more dfensive prospects and we always need more centres. Might be a good trade to look into if we can swing it for a Davidson, Gernat or Musil.

I just also wanted to say how impressed I am with Musil. Saw him good bias here, but that kid knows his positioning!

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14:

awesome!

The opposite is true.

If Stasny prices himself out of the home market it increases the likelihood he goes UFA and that helps us.

54. Pouzar says:

G Money:

Stastny ( according to Player Usage Charts)actually played tougher comp and had tougher zone starts and thrived ( BBB).

But I see your point. ROR would be just what the doctor ordered.

55. Pouzar says:

We should have traded for Stastny when Joe Sacco was single-handedly trying to destroy him. That and the injuries didn’t help either. He could of been had me thinks.

56. gcw_rocks says:

One-Timer,

Not if you trade Nuge for Ekman-Larsson.

57. russ99 says:

Big signing. Didn’t think they’d get it done.

BTW: Klefbom is the one to move, not Marincin.

He’s got the draft pedigree and upside to get the best return, and yet there’s the lingering injury concerns.

I’d even go as far to say between Adam Larsson and Marincin, I’d have to choose Marincin at this point.

719:
    Any interest for Columbus prospect Michael Chaput?Seems like Columbus may be looking for more dfensive prospects and we always need more centres.Might be a good trade to look into if we can swing it for a Davidson, Gernat or Musil.

I just also wanted to say how impressed I am with Musil.Saw him good bias here, but that kid knows his positioning!

I don’t think there is room in the Oilers depth chart between the older prospects and the younger prospects for Chaput. Where do you fit him between Arcobello, Acton, Lander, Khaira. Khaira looks to ready after on full AHL season if the other three guys are found wanting next year.

Nugent-Hopkins, Gagner/replacement, Gordon, Arcobello, Lander, Acton, Khaira, Yakimov (is probably coming over), Ewanyk.

with Acton, Khaira, Yakimov, Ewanyk your AHL 4. Lander the tweener on the OKC shuttle to YEG.

plus Bennett/Draisaitl.

The 3rd overall is a season away. And Khaira between one season and two.

The Oilers need Gagner to be better, or to replace Gagner. The 4th line, the pressbox/OKC shuttle, and OKC is pretty well filled for next season.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99: Big signing. Didn’t think they’d get it done.

Still not done.

60. frjohnk says:

Is Mackinnon in the conversation as a top 5 forward in the league in 2 years? Wow!

Crosby
    Stamkos
    Hall
    MacKinnon
    Toews

61. Marcus Oilerius says:

Caramel Obvious: That’s the conclusion you drew from the Chicago–St. Louis series?

The best players for St. Louis for most of the game were Sobotka, Tarasenko, and Schwartz.That game was strong evidence that size doesn’t matter.

Also, Tarasenko is 6’1, 220. Bigger than Hall.

62. Caramel Obvious says:

Marcus Oilerius: I would argue that Sobotka, Tarasenko and Schwartz would not have the space, or the puck if it wasn’t for guys like Ott (played top line LW), Backes, Lapierre fighting it out along the boards.

Also, Tarasenko is 6’1, 220.Bigger than Hall.

Backes, Ott and the rest don’t play with Sobotka and Schwartz. How can you create space from the bench? It’s impossible.

I’ll give you Tarasenko. However, he doesn’t play big and he isn’t what people are talking about when they say size.

63. Pouzar says:

frjohnk:
    Is Mackinnon in the conversation as a top 5 forward in the league in 2 years?Wow!

Crosby
    Stamkos
    Hall
    MacKinnon
    Toews

Funny you should mention this. I was telling a coworker yesterday I thought he would be top 5 in 2-3 years.

64. Marcus Oilerius says:

Caramel Obvious,

Who were Sobotka and Schwartz facing, though? I don’t think it was Toews/Kane or Sharp/Hossa.

If the Oilers were hit by the kind of assault that STL or LA or SJS unleashed last night, we’d already have injuries. Watching these opening rounds of the playoffs is almost depressing. The Oilers could never in a million years win a game against teams this good, dedicated, and organized.

65. Caramel Obvious says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Caramel Obvious,

Who were Sobotka and Schwartz facing, though?I don’t think it was Toews/Kane or Sharp/Hossa.

If the Oilers were hit by the kind of assault that STL or LA or SJS unleashed last night, we’d already have injuries.Watching these opening rounds of the playoffs is almost depressing.The Oilers could never in a million years win a game against teams this good, dedicated, and organized.

Exactly. Good. Dedicated. Organized.

All those things matter a great deal more than size. I’d take Sobotka in a second. That man is fantastic.

66. Marcus Oilerius says:

Caramel Obvious,

Size matters.

Watch those teams play again and imagine the likes of Eberle, Gagner, Nuge and even Perron taking those hits with no one on the line to give those hits back, no one big enough to go into the corners and absorb them.

I’m still not convinced Draisaitl is the right choice (Bennett going 4th to Calgary feels like a potential gutshot. Draisaitl to Calgary seems like I can live with it), but size really does help judging by the playoffs.

67. Caramel Obvious says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Caramel Obvious,

Size matters.

I’m still not convinced Draisaitl is the right choice (Bennett going 4th to Calgary feels like a potential gutshot.Draisaitl to Calgary seems like I can live with it), but size really does help judging by the playoffs.

This is thread is long gone. However, what you’ve said in this post is so irrational that it undermines anything you say from here on out. Do you really not see how irrational your words are? Now, perhaps you have an underlying thought that has the potential for rationality, but the actual words you say, those are unintelligible, gibberish, bleatings of a goats that cannot possibly be true.

You’ve created a universe in which a person who is not in the same space as another has a magical ability to push back for them, as if they can somehow share powers, or mana, or hit points, or something. Quite a world.