RE 13-14 JEFF PETRY: TUPELO HONEY

As predicted on this blog, Jeff Petry is following in the footsteps of Tom Gilbert in providing effective defense while also being heartily booed by the home crowd. Edmonton Oilers fans want their defensemen to be tough, rugged and armed with criminal intent. Jeff Petry, the silly man, plays like he’s trying to effect a positive result on every play. Fool!

Jeff Petry 10-11

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.21 (8th among Oil D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 1.67 (5th among Oil D)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: 7th best available among D
  • Corsi Rel: 2.0 (tied for 4th best among D)
  • Zone Start: 49.1% (3rd toughest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 50.5% (5th best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 41 shots/1 goal 2.4% (7th among Oil D)
  • Boxcars: 35gp, 1-4-5
  • Plus Minus: -12 on a team that was -52

Jeff Petry 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.91 (1st among Oil D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.25 (3rd among Oil D)
  • Qual Comp: 2nd toughest among D
  • Qual Team: best available among D
  • Corsi Rel: 2.0 (tied for 4th best among D)
  • Zone Start: 49.1% (5th toughest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 51.3% (2nd best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 111 shots/1.8% (6th among Oil D)
  • Boxcars: 73gp, 2-23-25
  • Plus Minus: -7 on a team that was -26

Jeff Petry 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.72 (4th among regular Oil D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: toughest among regular D
  • Qual Team: 6th best available among regular D
  • Corsi Rel: -1.7 (5th best among regular D) (-12.49 Corsi ON)
  • Zone Start: 48.9% (easiest among regular D)
  • Zone Finish: 50.8% (2nd best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 66 shots/4.55% (4th among Oil D>30 shots)
  • Boxcars: 48gp, 3-9-12
  • Plus Minus: +1 on a team that was -15

Jeff Petry 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.54 (3rd among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 1.82 (4th among regular D)
  • Qual Comp: toughest among regular D
  • Qual Team: 3rd best available among regular D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 46.7
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +3.7
  • Zone Start: 42.7% (toughest among regular D)
  • Zone Finish: 44.4% (6th best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 96 shots/7.3% (2nd among Oil D>50 shots)
  • Boxcars: 80gp, 7-10-17
  • Plus Minus: -22 on a team that was -51

RE 13-14: 75, 3-17-20 .267

Actual: 80, 7-10-17 .213

1. What do these numbers tell us? Jeff Petry had a good season. In the middle of a terrible season by a dreadful, abysmal team, Jeff Petry had a good season. It’s one of the truly incredible things in recent Oilers history.
  2. You’re such a puke on this stuff. He was awful. I read twitter. Yes, quite. I know the great philosopher’s of our time use 140 characters to make their point, but in this one case they’re flat out wrong. Toughest opposition, worst zone start, and his shot differential is in the blue zone. That’s so sweet it’s insane.
  3. It’s as sweet as Tupelo Honey? Yes! And for Petry, it means he’ll either be around for the good times or get sent to a good team where he can live his days as an appreciated top four defender. Sweet as Tupelo Honey, sure, but also on the road to freedom. I sincerely hope he goes to the Chicago Blackhawks and wins a Stanley. That’s fitting payment for the booing.
  4. After the Schultz RE, I expected vitriol for everyone. We have two stops in Sunshine, this one and another later.
  5. You have to admit, he had some ghastly moments. Sure. You can expect that from young defensemen playing above their established level of ability. What I object to is blaming the player for management’s established stupidity. WHY is Tom Gilbert in Florida? If he was here today, Petry would be second pairing, Schultz third and we’re cooking with petrol.
  6. Oilers seem to do that a lot. ALWAYS!!! The Oilers haven’t had a balanced defense since 2006!!! As soon as Gilbert resembled an NHL defenseman they couldn’t wait to cash him in for Nick Schultz—who closely matches the Oilers fan version of an effective veteran. The problem is that the position has changed, and mobile, quick thinking defenders who can win battles but may not knock people’s heads off are the preferred skill set.
  7. Back to Petry. He had some horrible moments. Sure did, no doubt. Bruce McCurdy had this to say one night in his player grades over at CofH: 2 Jeff Petry, 2. The stats page shows Petry was on the ice for 26 shot attempts by the Oilers, just 9 by the Coyotes. Sounds pretty good! Unfortunately 2 of those 9 shot attempts against were goals, both the direct result of defensive blunders by Petry. On one he failed to cover the passing lane, allowing a ridiculously easy pass through the slot for a free shot from the low slot by sniper Radim Vrbata, with predictable results. On the other, ‘Yotes defender Keith Yandle put a deke on Petry that made him look like his skates were tied together. Took a penalty after losing a battle on the boards. Had some OK moments, but on the whole it was a disastrous game.
  8. So, there’s a problem. Yes. The Oilers have two problems defensively. First, Petry is just finishing his third year in the league and is playing above his level.That’s a monster issue, it just is. The results Petry managed this year are genuinely good compared to his teammates, but imagine how good they could be if he was facing second pairing opps?
  9. What’s the other problem? Oilers have too many defensive sorties per shift. It’s jailbreak after jailbreak after jailbreak. The entire game for the Oilers is one giant broken play. One defenseman can’t stop that kind of force every night. It just isn’t possible.
  10. So, maybe he’s not good enough. Jeff Petry is an NHL defenseman. Full stop. If we had an expansion draft tomorrow, and had to choose between him and Justin Schultz, I protect Petry ten times out of ten.
  11. Do the Oilers value this player? MacT talked at his opening press conference in 2013 about having defensemen getting to the puck and then moving it in a good direction quickly. That’s Petry. He’s a quick thinker, mobile defender and has the skills to make that pass, carry it out, or pause until the forechecker fades from the moment.
  12. He’s not rugged, all good NHL defensemen are tougher than Petry. Nick Lidstrom says hello.
  13. There are many Oiler fans who disagree with you about Petry. That’s fine. We’ll see how Oilers management feels about him this summer. He’s rfa and is going to get a raise.
  14. Maybe they trade him, Oilers often do that when players are in this position. That’s true, I think there’s every chance Edmonton deals a defenseman plus something for an upgrade (or perceived upgrade) on defense.
  15. Maybe Christian Ehrhoff? Would love to see Ehrhoff on the team. A top 6D of Ehrhoff-????, Marincin-Petry and Ference-Schultz represents real improvement for next season.
  16. Bottom line: will Jeff Petry be an Oiler when they’re good? I don’t know.
  17. That’s why we come here, folks! Strong opinions! Well, there’s a crossroads, and it might come this summer. Look, if the Oilers trade Jeff Petry there’s going to be a lineup. He’s three years into his career, and on a team with depth and structure this guy would flourish in my opinion. Having said that, the current GM has no real attachment to him, and the club seems to be looking at Nurse and Klefbom as their future. I’m not sure if Petry, who is 26 years old, is going to sign at a number the Oilers find acceptable. His value to the team far, far exceeds his current contract ($1.75M) and they’re going to buy free agent seasons. Will the Oilers pay him $4 million a season?
  18. How old was Tom Gilbert when they traded him? 28
  19. Poti? 24.
  20. Wow. Yeah. Oilers train a lot of useful defensemen and then trade them. It’s a thing.
  21. Poti and Gilbert weren’t useful! And bam! This is why we can’t have nice things.
  22. Why this song? It’s about freedom, personal and otherwise. I’m cheering for Jeff Petry because he had a bad time this year and made it through. The fans were on him, and he was struggling and he called his Dad. His Dad (former mlb pitcher Dan Petry) said “ask your coach” and things turned out better after that for the young man. We all struggle in life, that’s not the story. What we do about it, that’s the story. Jeff Petry is actively trying to be a better player, even in the face of difficult times. I have no idea how anyone can cheer against that, and I’m a fan no matter where he goes. That’s a real sign of character.
  23. You’re as soft as Jeff Petry. I’ll take that as a compliment.

54 Responses to "RE 13-14 JEFF PETRY: TUPELO HONEY"

1. LMHF#1 says:

The thing about Gilbert was he didn’t have near as many WTF?!?!? moments as Petry does. The glaring mistakes with the puck. The missed pass receptions. The amount of times he gets walked by a mediocre forward or a defenseman. Petry is such a strong athlete, but his hockey fundamentals are sorely lacking. If he were hitting lower in the order this would be okay, but will he ever be a #4 for the Oilers?

Too many questions. Also doesn’t appear to produce as many points as Gilbert.

It isn’t that I hate Petry’s game – it is that the team can do better.

2. tcho says:

LMHF#1,

I don’t think I could more strongly and completely disagree with a post (which essentially boils down to “saw him bad”).

The numbers tell a more complete story. Facing the toughest competition and toughest zone starts, and with middling help, Petry posted BETTER THAN AVERAGE corsi. Holy poop on a stick! Let’s trade this loser tomorrow.

Frustrating. We get the team we deserve, I suppose.

3. Zangetsu says:

It’s weird now looking at polls on other sites. I guess I’ve been around the intelligents too long. CoH and ON both have strong support of fighters and toughness. I wonder how much of that is driven by the MSM though. As for petry, I think I hate him because the minute he played a good game we traded our best dman for a guy on the back 9. I also seem to watch him and ask myself; “what in the hell is petry doing. Also genes stupid puns “petry dish.” He always looks good from a stats perspective though, so I tend not to pick on him too much. It’s true he is too far up the depth chart. His song definitely should have been “3 dressed up as a 9.”

4. LMHF#1 says:

tcho:
    LMHF#1,

What’s your point? I nearly always speak of how I “see um”.

And who said “trade this loser tomorrow”?

I compared him to Gilbert in how he plays. LT made the comparisons, and he and I talking about Gilbert goes back to a time before this blog.

Your reactive post, and immediate jump to WHATABOUTTHECORSI?!?!?!? was rather unnecessary.

5. Ben says:

On the bright side: we can use the paperclips that we get for our quality young D to help file waiver claim paperwork!

6. zatch says:

I ran into Tom Gilbert at a restaurant here in Ottawa the night EDM signed Bryz (along with Scott Clemmensen and Krys Barch…Barch was the nicest) and basically said it was BS how the fans and media treated him and now they were doing the same with Petry. I was babbling a bit to be sure haha.

Giordano for Eberle, straight up (or with say, a CGY 3rd as a sweetner). Is this worth it?

7. borisnikov says:

I promise this will not be a habit here as it is a shameful plug… As pertaining to Petry, if anyone is interested I posted about him yesterday. It was inspired by a Woodguy/Archeology guy twitter clash;) Shattenkirk and Petry

8. LMHF#1 says:

How strong is Ehrhoff defensively?

Ehrhoff-Subban/Byfuglien
    Marincin-Petry
    Nikitin-Schultz
    Ference

9. Jordan says:

Huh.

So, both Poti and Gilbert are the comparables for Petry.

Did you know both Poti and Gilbert are UFA?

The Oilers could sign both of them for NOTHING! And I’d bet both would come here for less that 2M per. Gilbert just worked in FLA for less than 1M.

I’d love to see this just to torture Gregor and the other talking heads who think that winning means standing over the other teams’ fallen corpses and pelvic thrusting at the fawning masses.

I’d be happy seeing the Oilers ice a team that scores more goals than the team they play against. But really… what does that have to do with winning?

borisnikov,

Plug as much as you want, there are no restrictions in this area. Please be respectful, I will delete “this LT post is crap, my stuff is better, see it here” but beyond that fill your hat.

11. supernova says:

I have realized that I see the game differently than many on twitter and on blogs.

I have seen and heard how many fans have attacked Gilbert., horcoff, Hemsky and now petry.

Well these aren’t perfect players these players were obviously not the oilers biggest issue but became the main blame.

After they are moved we see fans (maybe a different faction) say we have stupid management for moving them.

All management did was listen to the fans and then they get blamed for moving them on.

We are in a hockey market and yet I find a lot of fans have low hockey IQ.

Petry and the others should not be moved or blamed until they are forced down the depth chart.

Why move good players until you have better ones and then bitch about it later.

I get why MacT has moved out horcoff and Hemsky, but these players were also the subject of fan bashing for years.

The only way I move petry is if we get a better player in the trade, maybe that means we move petry plus something for the better player. But we need to win the trade that sends petry away.

12. Clay says:

“6. Oilers seem to do that a lot. ALWAYS!!! The Oilers haven’t had a balanced defense since 2006!!! As soon as Petry resembled an NHL defenseman they couldn’t wait to cash him in for Nick Schultz”

Is this on purpose, or Freudian?

13. borisnikov says:

borisnikov,

Thanks LT. Also, I’d never insult your stuff. You’re like the great Wizard of OZ without the false idol, smoke and mirrors issues.

14. LMHF#1 says:

supernova:

We are in a hockey market and yet I find a lot of fans have low hockey IQ.

All you need to do to confirm the IQ of a massive majority of the people who attend the games is listen for them yelling SHOOT…when a player is behind the net, facing the wrong way, getting tackled by a defender and barely hanging onto the puck. It is bloody embarrassing.

That’s one thing I’ll never forget about the vast majority of fans in Raleigh – they at least knew they didn’t understand hockey yet.

15. Bad Seed says:

LMHF#1:
    How strong is Ehrhoff defensively?

Ehrhoff-Subban/Byfuglien
    Marincin-Petry
    Nikitin-Schultz
    Ference

You really are dreaming. As it’s common knowledge around here, Ehrhoff has a no trade list. Why do people keep bringing up his name? He ain’t coming here, folks!

16. Hammers says:

I don’t understand our fans . Not that long ago Poti got booed then Gilbert and now it’s Petry . Funny thing is that after the first two were gone a couple of years everyone or at least many wanted them back . I agree with LT on this, re Petry he is more of an all around “D” than Schultz . It’s also for this reason I can see Marincin traded before Klefbom . We seem to do everything assed backwards . Do the deal with Buffalo Erhoff & Stewart to us for the 3rd pick & Klefbom . Upgrade on both the “D” & the wing . McT then has to decide if Gags stays or trade him . Erhoff / Petry Marincin / Schultz & Ference / Green + Fedun .Use Larsen as a forward / rover/ extra as needed .

17. TheGreatMutato says:

Hammers:
    I don’t understand our fans .

Oilers fans are the worst. And the best. But mostly the worst.

As evidenced by the quality of the Oilogosphere, we have some of the most intelligent, savvy, and reasonable fans rooting for the club. But these are the 1%. Or the 5%. Whatever. The remainder is the mob. It’s just too easy to follow the Oilers in Edmonton. It doesn’t take an effort or a privately developed appreciation for the sport or the team – it’s in your face all day. It takes an active effort to ‘not’ follow the team, if anything.

Most people are Oilers fans the same way they are Catholic or Protestant or Lutheran. They were just born into it. And despite a complete lack of interest in learning the team or the sport, they get to have an opinion.

Also, SHOOOOOOOOOT

18. Jordan says:

Um… For some reason I am unable to access the tsn1260 player to listen to the Lowedown. Is anyone else having issues with this? I also cannot access the tsn1260 web page, as it is unavailable. Anyone know what’s going on?

19. soup says:

The comparisons between Petry and Gilbert I find frustrating. I never did cotton much onto Gilbert. Mostly, this was not due to any percieved lack of ruggedness. It was due to the inopportune turnovers and more important that he never seemed to be able to break a cycle. Great passer – sure. However, when the team on offense continually puts the puck into your corner because they sense it is the fastest route to retrieval, there is an issue.

With Petry I see someone who has the ability to break a cycle. Not always with a thunderous check (but he does that as well, for those so inclined), but that truly doesn’t matter. Between a good stick and body position, he is getting done, more and more often. More ruggedness than he is given credit for in my view. Getting rid of Petry now is a fool’s play. Getting rid of Gilbert was never an issue for me. Wish they got something better than they did, but he was not the answer.

Keep Petry and find some way to let him play lower in the batting order. That seems to match the verbal of the GM, no? Play him higher if you absolutely have to, but not absolutely.

20. Bag of Pucks says:

If the Oilers simply had not let go of Tom Gilbert, the Oiler D would ‘cooking with petrol?’

Wow. I mean….wow

Had no idea Tom Gilbert was the second coming of Drew Doughty

21. kdunbar says:

If I am correct, Gilbert is UFA this upcoming season. I think he should be the UFA target for the oilers Blue line. Matt Greene as a 6/7 option.

This assumes that Ekblad is gone by 3 and there is no Bold move for a Defenseman.

22. vangolf says:

I particularly like the juxtapose between the text of LT’s Petry write-up (ie., the anti-”saw him bad”) and the top image of the Eric Johnson undressing (ie., the epitome of “saw him bad”).

23. supernova says:

LMHF#1: Management would/should be fired if it is making any player decisions based on what this nebulous blob called “the fans” supposedly “think”.

vangolf,

I dont think management is actually listening to them but when it happens and they get rid of them it is quite ridiculous that they get slammed for actually dealing away these players.

I agree with the fact that the fans at the game are more reactive but i am surprised by what i read on the blogs. I know it takes all types for fans, and maybe it is a vocal minority but i am shocked by how often i read something like this

“Petry is a bum, he can’t even hold Gilbert’s jock strap”

a few years earlier it was the same stuff about Gilbert.

I just don’t get how many fans say this thing but have no solution to improve the team.

It sounds to me like these vocal fans look for the easiest player to blame and then hammer them but never actually look for a solution.

Petry is not our biggest issue, nor was Gilbert or Horcoff.

the issue is they need more support and they should be players in support roles not feature roles.

24. Bag of Pucks says:

soup:

Love this. Couldn’t agree more.

25. hugo says:

Should the oilers target andrej meszaros this summer ?

26. spoiler says:

LMHF#1: Don’t mind me…just dreaming of D as a strength again. Would sign Pitkanen in a heartbeat as discussed before.

I’ve thought about Joni too, but I’m not sure that it is certain PItkanen will ever play hockey again. At any rate, you wouldn’t want to sign him without a full physical and statements from his attending physicians. Could be a Whitney redux.

27. G Money says:

borisnikov,

Interesting article, thanks for writing.

The direct comparison aside, it changed my impression of Shattenkirk – I thought he was a stronger D than he was. Then again, you put anyone on that St Louis Blues team behind Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester and you’ll probably look pretty good.

Seems to me that Shattenkirk is what we should hope Schultz becomes.

28. spoiler says:

I don’t think Petry’s future with the club will be determined by fans or a perceived lack of physicality.

I think the next contract will be the decider.

If his agent is looking for something in the $4M+ range, I think Petry will be dealt at some point.

He doesn’t bring enough offense to pay him well, and he’s not really intended to be a 1PP or 2PP option.

I think paying for a lack of offense was one of the reasons Smid was traded. And I think that very same issue will be crucial to Petry’s contract and his future with the squad.

29. spoiler says:

There’s OIl in Virginia…

If you’re reading here today I hope this comment finds you safe and well as there truly is Oil in Virginia today. Safe wishes to all Virginians…

30. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler,

There is no reason for Petry to sign a contract for less than 4 x $5million, since he is a year away from UFA status.

Unless it is 4 x $5 million, if I’m Petry’s agent, I tell him to go the arbitration route to UFA summer 2015.

The going price an all-around mid-career top 4D is $5 million.

32. supernova says:

spoiler:

I think the next contract will be the decider.

I think paying for a lack of offense was one of the reasons Smid was traded.And I think that very same issue will be crucial to Petry’s contract and his future with the squad.

spoiler,

I agree that it should be decided by his contract and contributions for the terms and dollar amount.

A few Players who are probably near the same level of play but in different markets and roles.

Hjalmarsson, Stralman, Nikitin

none of these players are expected to be the feature defenceman or even a number 2.
    I can see Petry getting a contract for between 3.5 to 4.5 million depending on the term.

Oilers can’t afford to not pay Petry this money unless they trade him or sign a replacement that has more experience and can play more minutes a night at higher level.

If Petry is your 3rd or 4th Defenceman you have a competitive team.

If he is your 1st pairing you don’t.

Oilers have a large Experience gap on the backend.

Ference has 831 GP
    next is Petry with 236

this is the issue with the Oilers Defence not Petry.

N. Schultz should have filled that gap but wasn’t capable they need to replace that spot with someone who can play above Petry with more experience and Quality.

33. RexLibris says:

I had a look at UFA defensemen on the Vollman Sledgehammer the other day in preparation for an article and the four names that stood out to me were Orpik, Markov, Niskanen and Fayne as perhaps the best FA options for a team looking to add players as 2nd pairing.

The list of players I looked at was Coburn, Fayne, Grossman, Ranger, Markov, Orpik, Gardiner, Prosser, Hainsey, Nikitin, Quincey, Meszaros, Klesla, Niskanen and Sekera.

Obviously the Oilers need 1st pairing, but the reality of the situation is that they have to take the best they can get this off-season and build around what is available here and now. Niskanen may not be any better than Petry, but this team could sure use another Petry to spell off the one we have and at the very least split the tough assignments. Orpik isn’t ideal, but if we want a solid veteran to pair with Mr. Chaos or help instruct Marincin, he might be a good fit. I think Markov is a non-starter (he probably re-signs in Montreal, or at the very least out East with the preferable travel schedule) but he certainly represents the high-water mark of what is available this off-season.

Something else the graph told me, Braydon Coburn is a very nice defenseman and Paul Ranger may be a shrewd pickup for a GM this off-season. Left me wondering what Holmgren was asking for from MacTavish in exchange for Coburn last June.

34. spoiler says:

theres oil in virginia: spoiler, Thanks for the concern. I’m a couple of hours west of Lynchburg, where the derailment occurred, near Blacksburg, VA (dangerously close to West Virginia), so we haven’t been directly affected here. I didn’t even know it had happened until I read your post. It looks like no one has been hurt, but what a mess. I wonder if the James River was contaminated. If so, even worse, as that is a main tributary to the Chesapeake Bay. Hopefully, this will serve as a warning, as those same rails are sometimes used to move spent nuclear fuel rods (without security, BTW). I’m convinced that humanity only survives because the odds are favorable.

Whew, good to hear. Unfortunately it sounds like at least a couple of cars ended up in the James. But, y’know, they will probably just throw on some dispersant agents and presto, nothing to see here!

35. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Wow. I mean….wow
    Had no idea Tom Gilbert was the second coming of Drew Doughty
    *********************************************************************
    Only in here….

Tom made 900k this year…so Drew, Duncan, PK, Shea and Tom….I think that is it…

36. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler: Whew, good to hear.Unfortunately it sounds like at least a couple of cars ended up in the James. But, y’know, they will probably just throw on some dispersant agents and presto, nothing to see here!

Yep, it’ll probably just mix with the kepone and take care of both of them together! The magic of science. (There’s a layer of kepone-contaminated sediments at the bottom of the bay from the repeated spills in the 1960s and 70s.)

37. Ca$h-Money! says:

godot10:

The going price an all-around mid-career top 4D is $5 million.

I like Petry, want to keep him on my team, but he’s done nothing to earn $5 million. List of Dmen that earn $4.6/year or less:

Hamhuis
    Vlassic
    Garrison
    Emelin
    Seidenberg
    Gorges
    Goligoski
    Coburn
    Michalek
    Grossman
    Gunnarson
    Polak

I would put Petry somewhere in the middle of that list. $4/year seems more than fair.

I went through every Dman on every team to determine which players saw the toughest minutes.

You cannot just look at BTN and decide an arbitrary cut off in QC number because it doesn’t work that way.

You need to look at each team individually to figure it out.

I then went to stats.hockeyanalysis.com to look for who the #1 Dman’s most common partner was, just to double check my work.

I then listed the top 2 Dmen from each team and added their Relative Corsi.

Did the team do better with them on the ice or off the ice?

Top pairing Dmen see the toughest competition and there is no shame in having a slight negative corsi as one, especially if you are sent out for a lot of Dzone draws with a checking line (like Gordon)

Very good Dmen like these gentlemen had negative RelCor this year: (this isn’t all of the top pairing with negatives, just a section)

SUTER
    MICHALEK
    FOWLER
    TYUTIN
    WEBER
    ENSTROM
    BOGOSIAN
    CARLSON
    ALZNER
    EKMAN-LARSSON
    MCDONAGH
    MARTIN

I take all those guys on my team every day of the week.

Here’s a list of the top 20 RelCor Dmen in the NHL who played the toughest minutes on their team:

CGY GIORDANO 22.8
    STL PIETRANGELO 5.7
    BUF PYSYK 5.5
    FLA GILBERT 5.1
    LAK DOUGHTY 4.9
    NJD GREENE 4.2
    BOS CHARA 3.6

Look at Mr. Petry there at #11.

Look at Mr. Marincin there at #3!!!

I noticed that there were a lot of top pairing from bad teams on this list.

That makes sense as bad teams put up some bad shot metrics, so the best players, even though they are playing the toughest minutes, are going to be better relative to their team mates.

Jeff Petry led the Oilers in hits this year and they call him soft.
    Jeff Petry played the toughest comp on the Oilers, almost broke even and they call him “3rd pairing on a good team”
    Jeff Petry had the toughest zone starts on the Oilers D, against the toughest comp in the WC, almost broke even and they still want him traded.

Here’s Jeff Petry’s opponents that he played more than 20min against this year (in order of TOI against):

GETZLAF, RYAN
    MARLEAU, PATRICK
    MONAHAN, SEAN
    DOAN, SHANE
    ST._LOUIS, MARTIN
    GALIARDI, T.J.
    SEDIN, HENRIK

Not a fun group to play against eh?

Jeff Petry is the best defenceman on the Oilers, and its not close.

If you can’t see that, well that’s on you, not him.

39. Ca$h-Money! says:

Woodguy:

GETZLAF, RYAN
    PERRY, COREY
    BOEDKER, MIKKEL
    SEDIN, DANIEL
    THORNTON, JOE

ya, but:

1. Getzlaf is bald
    2. Perry is a ginger
    3. Boedker is from a country that cares more about cross country skiing than Hockey,
    4. Sedin is a girl
    5. Thornton is lazy and useless, based on the opinion of every TV analyst ever

So really, what’s his problem?

40. Marcus Oilerius says:

Scott Cullen posted his off-season gameplan for the Oilers on TSN. Really detailed. Cullen has stepped up his coverage every year.

He also takes a whack at a possible Oilers roster next season. http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/12237 Major additions include Robidas, Moss, and Fiddler.

41. Andy P says:

this summer we’ll either see one of more assistants promoted elsewhere or we won’t. I don’t think Todd Nelson comes in as an Assistant because he said as much some time back. I would also suspect he knows himself to be a better coach than Dallas. Seeing as Dallas is going nowhere I will be pleasantly surprised if we see Todd’s contract extended.

If Todd goes and Dallas is allowed to choose his own assistants, I would not be surprised to see Bucky, our Oilers Stanley Cup contending head coach in waiting, (sarcasm) being promoted to HC back in OKC. This would be good, as it would provide a direct comparison between Bucky and Todd, and it would allow us to see how Dallas performs when he does not have the only constant in the Oilers coaching staff since MacT left, there to undermine him – or not.

With Bucky gone, Eakins will either perform better, stay bad or get worse. If he does not perform better, he’s gone.

If Bucky stays, Eakins is gone and Bucky’s our next Head Coach.

Don’t hate MacT for this and don’t hate Lowe. It’s not Lowe, Lowe is Katz and Katz is Lowe. Lowe puts his opinion to Katz behind closed doors, Katz provides his marching orders, and Lowe makes those orders his own.

MacT has his hands tied by the Katz defined parameters. I think he is doing the best job possible in the circumstances. If Eakins goes and Bucky is not named HC, then MacT’s tenure will be tied to the success of the next HC, however that will remain impossible if Bucky remains in his role on Katz’s orders per his mouthpiece.

Remember, the most predominant, influential constant in all of this suck is whare the team has gone since he bought the team on the pretense that he would……….. never mind.

42. fifthcartel says:

Woodguy,

This is why I would rather they sell Klefbom on his draft status vs Marincin and how he is already playing. Who knows if he keeps it up but he’s trending up in a huge way.

Petry is awesome too, I think they sign him. If they move him and expect Schultz to take his minutes, then oh my.

43. Bag of Pucks says:

denny33:
    Bag of Pucks,

Wow. I mean….wow
    Had no idea Tom Gilbert was the second coming of Drew Doughty
    *********************************************************************
    Only in here….

Tom made 900k this year…so Drew, Duncan, PK, Shea and Tom….I think that is it…

Whenever Tom Gilbert has played top pairing mins, his team has finished in the lottery.

This leads me to believe A) Tom Gilbert is not good enough to play at this level (i.e. you’re not ‘cooking with petrol’ with him in your top 2) OR B) Only bad teams consider Gilbert a viable option for that position on the depth chart OR C) Both.

If Petry is a player that would be pushed down the depth chart by the present day Tom Gilbert, that projects Petry as a bottom pairing defenseman on a good team.

Petry’s agent will argue he’s a viable top pairing D based on mins played. This is why they get their 10%. Lying with a straight face IS a skill.

44. Zangetsu says:

I think a lot of people are too hard on shultz. I think he will be brilliant once it clicks. I’d like to see the stats on subban when he ran around with his head cut off turning over the puck at the ringette line.

45. Derek says:

Every season that Edmonton has played Taylor Hall on the top line they’ve finished in the lottery.

Ok, ok, ok except for that season when they drafted Darnell Nurse, but my point still stands.

46. Marcus Oilerius says:

Derek:

The lottery includes all teams that don’t make the playoffs, and has since the 2013 draft.

Bag of Pucks,

Had no idea Tom Gilbert was the second coming of Drew Doughty

He’s better than everyone on the RHD other than Petry, therefore he would be an improvement on the Dcore.

Why do the dumb people think you need allstars to improve? Incremental

improvements that push others down the depth chart can have reverberations that results in everyone improving because they are seeing easier ice time.

Bag of Pucks,

Love this. Couldn’t agree more.

Proof that other teams do this?

Are we supposed to just trust you on this?

Bag of Pucks,

Dumb people always blame the best players on the team for poor performance.

By this same metric then Mario Lemieux was awful when the Pens finished last with him.

By this same metric then Dale Hawerchuck was awful when the Jets finished out of the playoffs with him.

By this same metric then Sidney Crosby was awful when PIT finished 29th and he was their leading scorer.

It takes a special brand of stupid to point at the best players on a bad team and say that they are the problem.

48. Bruce McCurdy says:

supernova: Oilers have a large Experience gap on the backend.

Ference has 831 GP
    next is Petry with 236

this is the issue with the Oilers Defence not Petry.

I wrote a post on this very subject a short while back which you might find of interest.

Marcus Oilerius:
    Scott Cullen posted his off-season gameplan for the Oilers on TSN.Really detailed.Cullen has stepped up his coverage every year.

He also takes a whack at a possible Oilers roster next season.http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/12237Major additions include Robidas, Moss, and Fiddler.

Cullen is really good, he gets it and reaches a wide audience. He’s the TSN guy I pay attention to and his series postseason is the best thing he does.

50. jake70 says:

T. Gilbert new contract 2008 – 4Mx6y = 24M. Team cap for 2008-09 = 56.6M. % of cap year 1 = 7%

Assuming team cap of 69M for 2014-15, 7% of this = 4.83M. 6 years = 29M.

Do Gilbert supporters give Petry a six year deal for 29M? Do you think Gilbert was overpaid?

Just comparing contracts, not saying I don’t like Petry, I do.

51. TheOtherJohn says:

I like Cullen a lot but they have another guy on tv quite frequently…..not sure of his name Bob …..yeah Bob MacKenzie….he’s good too. No Cullen but good nonetheless. Would like to see him get a wider audience

Seriously a very very deep roster of excellent commentators on TSN…………. n/w/s LT only pays attention to Cullen

52. One-Timer says:

supernova:

We are in a hockey market and yet I find a lot of fans have low hockey IQ.

Why move good players until you have better ones and then bitch about it later.

I’m not sure that management “listens” to fans regarding their personnel decisions, but otherwise I fully agree with this post.

For me a major factor in this year’s regression was the subtraction of the much-maligned Shawn Horcoff. Gordon covered a lot of what he did, but not completely. Horc did not have world-beating boxcars, but he was relied on to do EVERYTHING else that is also needed to win hockey games. The young’uns were free to go raiding the baggage carts while he took on the cavalry charge.

The guy was a workhorse, an established vet on a young team and a mentor for the new forwards. They missed him big-time. Having him AND Gordon this year would have done wonders for the center depth – it didn’t have to be either/or.

Bash away, people!

53. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy:
    Bag of Pucks,

Had no idea Tom Gilbert was the second coming of Drew Doughty

Why do the dumb people think you need allstars to improve?Incremental

Bag of Pucks,

Love this. Couldn’t agree more.

Proof that other teams do this?

Are we supposed to just trust you on this?

Bag of Pucks,

Dumb people always blame the best players on the team for poor performance.

Nice. You take individual quotes out of their greater context, lace your tirade with ad hominems and that makes you ‘smart’ lol

I especially like the part where you chastise me for agreeing with another poster. If you don’t like an exchange between two posters that doesn’t involve you, I think your recourse is fairly obvious. You can just ignore it.

Some people’s kids.

54. Ca$h-Money! says:

One-Timer,

Gordon wouldn’t sign here to be behind Horcoff on the depth chart playing 12 minutes a night.