RE 13-14 JORDAN EBERLE: BULBS

Jordan Eberle is between a rock and a hard place as an NHL player. He is considered found gold by fans, taken in the bottom half of round one just six years ago and now a scoring RW four years into his career. On the other hand, he’s a $6 million dollar cap hit, and that’s a lot of loot.

JORDAN EBERLE 10-11

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.82 (4th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.94 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 8th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 8.7 (2nd best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 49.3% (8th most difficult among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 51.6% (6th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 158/11.4% (5th among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 68gp, 18-25-43 (led the team in points as a rookie)
  • Plus Minus: -12 on a team that was -52.

JORDAN EBERLE 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 3.08 (1st among regular F’s, 2nd in NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.77 (4th among regular F’s)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 3rd best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 5.7 (5th best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 60.7 % (2nd easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 54.5% (best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 180/18.9% (1st among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 78, 34-42-76 (led the team in points for 2nd year in a row)
  • Plus Minus: +4 on a team that was -26.

JORDAN EBERLE 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.31 (2nd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.46 (7th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards (top line opp)
  • Qual Team: best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 21.9 (best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 51.1% (5th most difficult among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 50.0% (8th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 133/12.03% (3rd among F’s>70 shots)
  • Boxcars: 48, 16-21-37
  • Plus Minus: -4 on a team that was -15.

JORDAN EBERLE 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.94 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.58 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among regular forwards (2nd line opp)
  • Qual Team: 2nd best teammates among regular forwards (top linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 7.3 (2nd best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 55.0% (5th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 47.4% (4th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 200/14% (1st among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 80, 28-37-65
  • Plus Minus: -11 on a team that was -51

RE 13-14: 78, 28-37-65 (.833)

ACTUAL: 80, 28-37-65 (.813)

1. Your RE is acceptable. Yeah, I think we can count this one as a direct hit.
  2. Blind squirrel. I think it speaks to consistency. Eberle is a guy you can count on, if you put him in the same spot in the batting order.
  3. Is that kind of production worth $6M? Very astute question. I don’t know.
  4. That’s why the call you the Library: The Answer Man, lades and gents! It’s a tough thing to measure. Eberle ranks 30th in league scoring, between Jason Spezza ($7M) and Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571M) so it seems in the range. However, Bryan Little is also in the range at $4.7M. So, let’s call it and say he is covering the bet at $6M but no more.
  5. Do you like him? Oh yes, always been an Eberle fan.
  6. No, you’re a MacGregor fan and Eberle helps the defense. You’re a prick this spring, this should be fun. Yeah, sure, maybe that’s a little true but I liked Eberle from the beginning. I undervalued him—and that’s not even true, I valued him based on his draft pedigree—until he blew expectations out of the water.
  7. Is Eberle the best RW on the team? Now that Hemsky’s gone, I’d say it is between Perron and Eberle. It probably doesn’t matter, Yakupov could pass them like a house on the side of the road soon.
  8. Hemsky! Good GOD man, give it up! He’s useless. Yeah, 20GP, 4-13-17 in Ottawa, and his 43 points are more than he’s had since MacT left the building.
  9. Back to Eberle. Will he be traded? I don’t think so. There’s clearly some interest by the Flyers based on what we can glean from the leaks. The Oilers are back to their old ways, where, no one told me directly, but, you know, blah blah blah. They can’t help themselves. Men the world over accuse women of being gossips, but the men in charge of the Oilers can’t hold back the water.
  10. What would EDM give Philly? Well, if it’s a big trade, the Oilers could table an offer that included the 2014 1st rounder, Jordan Eberle and someone like Martin Marincin. The Flyers could throw Eberle on a skill line, run Marincin-Ekblad for 15 years and look like a Stanley winner save for their goalie, Charlie Glob.
  11. Did we draft Glob? No, free agent from Germany. Snider sees him playing outdoor hockey from the window of his room in the Bayerischer Hof.
  12. Uh-huh. What might EDM get from Philly? Again, assuming it’s a big trade and three major assets need to come back, it might be Sean Couturier, Wayne Simmonds and Braydon Coburn. Or maybe it’s Voracek or someone else. Either way, there’s a lot of matching assets/significant needs and they could meet in an airport hotel and ponder each others rosters for two weeks. If there’s a significant desire on Edmonton’s end, I doubt it’s difficult to get the Flyers interested in shooting half their roster. They seem to do it about once every two years.
  13. But you don’t think he’ll be dealt? No. He’s here, he’s signed, Eberle offers no headache through 2019. You have to devote a spot in the heart of your order to him, but the Oilers don’t have anyone pushing him now that Hemsky’s gone and Yakupov’s floundering.
  14. What can’t he do? Play center, push the river like Hall, intimidate physically, play an aggressive and effective two-way game.
  15. Will people turn on him? If he slows? Uh, depends on when it happens. He looks like he can go on for some time between 50-65 points, that’s a pretty valuable hockey player. You could argue that Yakupov might score 70 on Hall’s wing, but that’s not happened yet so Eberle is the guy holding the value. We’ll see, but I think the answer is Oiler fans love him and that will continue.
  16. Why this weirdly-named song? It feels right. It’s a lovely melody from a terrific album and it’s kind of perfect the way it is. Intact. Ready to use out of the box, impressive. It’s not an epic—I honestly don’t know what the hell Van’s on about in the lyric, and there’s no bulbs I can see—but the wonderful guitar, the go of the song, the bass, the piano. It’s honestly Eberle, don’t know what else to tell you. There’s Eberle’s everywhere with perfect hair and musical syntax at birth, and there’s people and songs that don’t quite work no matter how hard they try. Bulbs Eberle. What can I say?
  17. You’re the bulb. A dim one. Are we done?

137 Responses to "RE 13-14 JORDAN EBERLE: BULBS"

On the Lowdown today at 10 TSN

10:05 Scott Burnside ESPN
    10:20 Travis Yost Hockeybuzz
    11:00 Ryan Batty Copper and Blue
    11:25 Eric Rodgers on the Barons.

Should be fun!

2. Pouzar says:

I value my mental health so I am not gonna read any of the comments here today. :)

3. russ99 says:

I’m not a fan of that Philly deal, we’re losing too much skill and adding too much truculence, and it could really bite us when all’s said and done.

It’s basically dealing our second best player, our second-best D prospect who’s shown a lot in his first year and a top-4 pick for a two-way second line center, a third line grindy winger and a low-offense 2nd pairing D who’s coming up on 30. We need to shoot higher if a deal like that is to be made.

But Eberle is our potential trade chip with the highest possible return, so you think some conversations will end up happening, and who’s to say if a deal is or isn’t made.

At least with Ebs, he’s a known quantity. Nobody really knows what we’ll see from Yakupov 2-3 years down the line and the idea of trading him for magic beans is scary.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sidebar.

I follow Ivan Barbashev on my twitter. because… you know… he’s my other true 2014 draft love.

But, man kids are hilarious. All he tweets are pics of him and his GF (over sharing much… what an age…? I don’t know how I’m going to handle kids in the future) and some app or something that tells you who started and stopped following you on twitter. He posts it like daily. I swear an uncle of his must own the company.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Veedon Fleece is one of the few Van albums I’m still hunting down on vinyl. Sure, you can find it… it’s not rare. but I mean at a reasonable price. I’ll get it eventually, but it’s high on the list of keep an eye out for.

————
    this series is such a treat to read. The interaction is funny, but it actually does the work of poking holes in well worn ideas and anxieties really well.

6. LMHF#1 says:

Would be something to see what Eberle could do with a C like Backes, or someone similar who can drive to create chances as well as dig it out of the corner and get it to the slot. Eberle’s had to do more puck retrieval than is ideal. We’ll see how many of those guys MacTavish can snag in the offseason.

Am I absolutely crazy to want this top 6?

Hall-Backes-Eberle
    Perron-Grabovski-Yakupov

Yes, I traded that Hopkins guy. Maybe if STL loses out they’ll take leave of their senses and move Backes? Nah.

Eakins likes sticks on the boards.

Unless he was playing with Hall, Yak was a LW this year.

LW Depth
    Hall
    Yak

RW Depth (your mileage may vary)
    Eberle
    Perron

That’s actually not a bad set of 4.

Now to get a C to play with Yak and Perron…….

8. soup says:

Honestly, don’t get the love for trading Eberle (not saying LT is the driver, but many people here have already got him traded in their minds). Eberle is proven. He’s gold, Jerry and he is part of the mutual love society with Hall and Nuge. That is a fine first line – why break it up? How many teams would kill to ice a line like that?

Many here talk of magic beans. Trading what is proven for hope and a prayer. That is Yak to me. Other than a great couple of weeks in garbage time last year, what has he done? Skills, sure. Hockey sense, not yet. There is as much chance that he will be a flash in the pan as there is he will be as good as Ebs. It’s all hope. Trading Ebs in the hope that Yak will be able step in – is that not the very definition of magic beans?

First line is not the problem on this team. Breaking that line up is what stupid teams would do. It makes no sense at all.

9. borisnikov says:

LT, Rom is right. The RE series is what I look forward to every year. It keeps my fan-boy gene in check.

One completely unrelated thought. In your Ryan Smyth post from the other day you mentioned “the Pennant” (which should be a thing in hockey these days. I’m not sure why the players don’t enjoy the conference championship like they should). Last night, as I was about to fall asleep, this thought crossed my mind. As its a 30 team league, it is completely possible to think that the Oilers will miss out entirely on a Pennant and a Cup during the Hall years. I’m worried about the walk in the dark woods never ending. Nothings is guaranteed. A sobering thought.

Have a great day all! lol

I have a suspicion that the structure of the NHL playoffs was changed explicitly so Americans could do “bracket challenges” and add fans.

11. PhrankLee says:

Lol. I love Van’s crazy grunting in this album. He does a lot of it on St.Dominics Preview as well.

Your RE is acceptable. Yeah, I think we can count this one as a direct hit.

Is that kind of production worth $6M? Very astute question. I don’t know.

I remember when you (and Tylers and others) got absolutely roasted by Oilers fans for calling a Eberle a 60-70pt player (.73-85pt/gm) player after he put up 76ps (.97pts/gm) in his high SH% year.

His two years since?

.77pts/gm
    .81pts/gm

Good player.

I like him a lot.

He needs someone to get him the puck though and that means he’s not a plug and play with many players and that takes away some of his value.

13. Doomoil says:

LMHF#1:

Am I absolutely crazy to want this top 6?

Hall-Backes-Eberle
    Perron-Grabovski-Yakupov

Are we ready to give up on 21 year old Hopkins for a couple good years of Backes? What’s our center depth going forward?

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

the wrinkle with Coburn is

29 going on old for D of his stripe and only 2 years left. If it works out, you probably get screwed 2 years down the road when you give him Dion’s contract and watch the wheels fall off over the next 5 years.

That’s not a lot for what you are giving up which includes a lot of time with a controlled contract in whoever the pick is. Not to mention control over the value of Marincin or Klefbom, or whoever it is.

15. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:

His two years since?

.77pts/gm
    .81pts/gm

Good player.

I like him a lot.

Agreed that he needs someone to go get the puck. Good teams tend to have that guy. They also have the killer shot from the slot. That’s Eberle.

16. flyfish1168 says:

i’m only a fan if Braydon Schen is included otherwise no to any deal with the Flyers.
    Unfortunately with Jordan he doesn’t bring any physical or drive the play on his own. Zero grit. I do like the idea of a one two punch with Eberle and Yak.

Yak is more of a physical threat and can drive the play if eakins give yak the same leash as the others.

Perron would be the one i would trade.

17. Gret99zky says:

“You’re a prick this spring, this should be fun.”

LMAO. Aren’t we all? Seasons like the last 8 will do that.

“Men the world over accuse women of being gossips, but the men in charge of the Oilers can’t hold back the water.”

I bet it’s Bucky.

18. LMHF#1 says:

Doomoil: Main problem with this is that Backes is turning 30 next year and who knows how well he ages? Big strong banger types tend to have the quickest and steepest declines.

It is a tough thing to do, but I’m struggling to find someone like Backes who’s around 25.

Obviously you don’t want to trade Hopkins if you don’t have to. You also don’t necessarily have to trade him for Backes…but the C issue is a big one going forward whether he’s here or not.

When it comes to Hopkins, I can understand why he’d be essentially a “never trade” for many people. I’d rather keep the shooters (Eberle and Yakupov). You can go get passers. There are also passers who happen to be large, effective two-way players. Not saying Hopkins won’t be, and I loved the way he was cross-checking his way through the VAN game. I seriously debate mixing this whole thing up though.

19. Clarkenstein says:

When will the annual Spring Cleaning begin?

20. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

————

21. hunter1909 says:

“Hey, our team has missed the playoffs for 8 years in a row. We’ve got some very good players, but our coaches are the worst imaginable. The new head coach for example, is just as big a tool as the GM…made one of the new players captain before he even saw him play, and basically just fucked up the entire team…

But since it’s the Oilers, the coaches can’t possibly be fired. So, it’s blame the PLAYERS, deal them off, and have Ryan Smyth crying to assuage everything over before another summer of bullshit hoping for the best – with a drunken Cary Grant behind the wheel.”

Let’s talk about the arena.

22. 719 says:

Woodguy:

Eakins likes sticks on the boards.

Unless he was playing with Hall, Yak was a LW this year.

LW Depth
    Hall
    Yak

RW Depth (your mileage may vary)
    Eberle
    Perron

That’s actually not a bad set of 4.

Now to get a C to play with Yak and Perron…….

Exactly! Eakins will be slotting his wingers this way IF Yakupov stays. If what I know about the Oilers holds pat, the 2C will be the kid they draft this year, who will be in way over his head.

23. Zangetsu says:

Why do you hate him? He is a top thirty scorer in the league, which means he is at least top two scorer on any team (unless I miscounted somewhere). He is ninth as a RW, but several guys ahead of him are at 69 pts instead of 65, and a few will retire soon(St. Louis, Jagr). If Jackass McStupid played the only good line the oilers have had over the last 4 years for more than a couple games, he would easily have broken at least 70pts. I see him as a top five RW in the league for years to come. He’s only 23, he will still improve, especially defensively. He was on pace for 63 pts last year playing with a broken hand, give him some credit.

I wouldn’t make that deal with philly. You give up way too much. I like Simmonds, but I wouldn’t give eberle for him. In all likelihood Marincin or Eckblad will be better than Cobourn. Couturier is interesting but I wouldn’t give a first rounder for him.

24. Doomoil says:

719: Exactly!Eakins will be slotting his wingers this way IF Yakupov stays.If what I know about the Oilers holds pat, the 2C will be the kid they draft this year, who will be in way over his head.

I don’t think the Oilers keep whatever center they draft (assuming no Ekblad) unless they’re absolutely sure he can handle it. MacT sent Nurse down amid proclamations of how good he looked during TC.

I also don’t think MacT let’s his newly drafted center play 2C next year. He will bring in a vet either by trade or signing.

25. justDOit says:

justDOit: I can’t find the link right now, but do you have the VM album that he made to fulfill his contract with a record company? 30 songs with ‘shake’ and ‘baby’ in the song titles.

Link

LMHF#1: Are his totals the last two years indicative of the totals he’d put up on a non-horrid team? Can’t see it.

He’s played a ton with Hall.

Horrid team or not, he’s not getting that quality of team mates on most teams.

If he played for PHX they’d break out the party hats if he hit 60pts.

27. su_dhillon says:

These RE posts are much more fun than than watching actual Oiler games.

For a while now I have been trying t figure out which former Oiler Eberle reminds me of and the guy that keeps coming up for me is Joe Murphy. Murphy was a better skater but when he played with really skilled guys he put up numbers and for both guys when they don’t score you don’t notice them a lot. If Joe got top 30 money not sure how thrilled anyone woud of been.

Eberle does so many things well in offensive zone, I just wish he brought one more thing to the table for all that money. Maybe the chemistry with Hall-Nuge is enough but as a player he leaves me wanting more.

I don’t love the $6M price, I guess I will just never understand how Tambo couldnt of got him signed for less than a 1st overall pick who was having similar type of season while being 2 years younger.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

never heard of it. can’t find it with a cursory google.

———-
    ps. Trotz out in Nash.

29. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy: He’s played a ton with Hall.

Horrid team or not, he’s not getting that quality of team mates on most teams.

If he played for PHX they’d break out the party hats if he hit 60pts.

The games still don’t mean much of anything after November. That has an impact. Look at what the plugs did the other night.

30. delooper says:

Zangetsu:

I think the issue is that guys like Jagr were able to maintain that level of scoring on any line (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, although it’s hard to imagine a team where Jagr would be on the 4th line). Eberle’s stats show him to be more of a complementary player than, say, Hall. Complementary players are vital to a team’s success but you can’t have too many of them. Just like it’s difficult to have a team consisting of only 5’10″ players.

31. Gret99zky says:

“Hemsky! Good GOD man, give it up! He’s useless. Yeah, 20GP, 4-13-17 in Ottawa, and his 43 points are more than he’s had since MacT left the building.”

Jesus. Hall would have won the Hart Trophy as a Sen this year.

33. Ducey says:

Why in Gord’s name would the Flyers trade Couturier? It just isn’t going to happen.

Trading Eberle doesn’t seem like a great move either. I would think this year would be the baseline (ie Minimum) production.

Why?
    1. The PP sucked this year
    2. I am reading my Extra Skater correctly he only spent 30% of his time with Nuge. Give him a solid C 70% of the time and watch his #’s go up
    3. The kids were learning to play defensively and stop cheating for O
    4. It was a terrible year.

I think he will put up several years of +70 points, while being able to handle himself in this market and being a leader on the team. Oh, and he is money in the shootout (5/7 this year).

This is one of the few players the Oilers can count on. You trade him and you create a big hole.

34. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Draisaitl at 2C and Marincin-Petry Klefbom-Shultz as your top 4 would be very, very Oilers.

Add the new arena coming and all those defense prospects emerging plus the fact that it’s the Oilers, and it’s pretty certain they’re not planning to do anything other than tank next season and get another top prospect; while dealing away the 2nd round picks for assorted plugs to keep the tier one gang assuaged.

35. PhrankLee says:

Very Oilers indeed. I hate how little that would actually surprise me. Now if this happens I would expect Igor Ulanov to sign a 7 year associate coaching contract with Terry Jones’ parking spot thrown in and a candlelit dinner with Vicky Moss. On that Spanish Galleon that was in the mall.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

in three years, it would be magic. Next year… calamity.

The idea of Draisaitl or Ekblad for the Oil isn’t new, Jim Matheson had that moons ago.

38. Fish82 says:

I’ve heard rumbling about Tavares wanting out of the Isle.

What kind of offer do we think would have to be involved there.

Gagner + Yak + Klefbom or Marincine + Simpson or Gernat

or wait til the draft, see whats’ there at 3 and offer

Gagner + 3 OV + Prospect + prospect or pick

I think that has to be pretty close in terms of value. 4 for 1

Hope to hell the Van win doesn’t cost us Ekblad.

Top line 1A Hall + Nuge + Perron (or Yak)
    Top line 1B Anyone 2 way size (or Perron) + Tavares + Ebs

I like that top 6.

39. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy:
    Your RE is acceptable. Yeah, I think we can count this one as a direct hit.

Is that kind of production worth $6M? Very astute question. I don’t know.

His two years since?

.77pts/gm
    .81pts/gm

Tyler called him a 50-60 point player Woodguy.

Eberle has since been on pace for 63 points and this season scored 65 points. He has twice in a row exceeded the ceiling put on him by Tyler.

Hall’s contract is like found money. Eberle’s contract is decent. It’s still not looking poor like predicted by some.

Vanek and Stastny were in the same range of scoring as Eberle this season. They will probably get $7-8 million each in the off season.

I don’t really care if the Oilers trade Eberle but they had better be getting comparable value in return because 60 points is crazy expensive to add through free agency and its not exactly the easiest thing in the world to replace internally either.

40. theres oil in virginia says:

Ducey:
    Why in Gord’s name would the Flyers trade Couturier?It just isn’t going to happen.

Trading Eberle doesn’t seem like a great move either.I would think this year would be the baseline (ie Minimum) production.

Why?
    1. The PP sucked this year
    3. The kids were learning to play defensively and stop cheating for O
    4.It was a terrible year.

I think he will put up several years of +70 points, while being able to handle himself in this market and being a leader on the team.Oh, and he is money in the shootout (5/7 this year).

This is one of the few players the Oilers can count on.You trade him and you create a big hole.

Now we’re talking. Add to it that he’s only 23, and has had 3 coaches in 4 years. Nuge coming off of shoulder surgery to boot. Gagner having his face broken to other boot. Very little in the way of puck-moving defensemen to sock (I ran out of boots).

I like what Woodguy said above, that he needs somebody to get him the puck. I figure that the maturation of Nuge and the new defensemen, plus the acquisition of another high-end center, will go a long ways towards addressing that. Not to mention that having a little experience at playing a solid two-way game will allow him to focus a bit more on offense and he should start looking a bit more natural again.

41. Ducey says:

hunter1909: .For once this sad, sick fan isn’t buying the koolaid. Too much of a Jonestown vibe.

You are still drinking a lot of cheap liquor though, right?

42. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: ok… these are great

reminds me a little of Wesley Willis

Yeah, I listened to a few of them, and he doesn’t sound like he’s just putting in time to complete a contract obligation. The songs are pretty basic though.

43. G Money says:

Has anyone done a contract $ vs career ppg regression to set a formal line as to where “average value” for contracts lies?

If you know of such a thing, please post a link.

If not, maybe I’ll take a crack at it.

44. Hammers says:

After seeing McT on tv I am starting to think this will be another loosing season ahead ( 19th to 22nd ) . He will keep the draft pick , probably a center . All of Schultz / Marincin / Klefbom will play here + Ference for sure. Nurse may play . The only players that may get moved will be Petry / Gags / Perron . Petry + 1 of those 2 for a seasoned “D” and the other for another Gordon type “C” . Arco / Lander & Horak will be in Oil colors maybe on the 4th line , Gordon / Hendricks /Pitlick for 3rd line . More players on the team who can play center if needed. MUST GET THAT “D” if all the kids are going to play .

45. G Money says:

Gret99zky: Hall would have won the Hart Trophy as a Sen this year.

46. denny33 says:

Also posted points/ game numbers for past D prospects.

Ryan Murray .67 pts/game
    Aaron Ekblad .91 pts game
    Alex Pieteranglo .88 pts / game
    PK Subban – .82 pts / game

47. Bag of Pucks says:

So Rishaug was on TSN this morning railing on about how the Oilers absolutely have to draft size in this year’s draft so it’s Eklad or Draisaitl or bust.

Really getting tired of some of the local media pundits who believe that just because Player X is 2″ taller than Player Y at the draft, this automatically makes them the ‘need’ pick the Oilers have to make this year.

Here’s some heights and weights for some pretty good hockey players.

Crosby 5’11″ 200lbs
    Giroux 5’11 172lbs
    Pavelski 5’11″ 190lbs
    Duchene 5’11 200lbs
    Kane 5’11 181lbs
    Krejci 6’0 188lbs
    Kessel 6’0 202lbs

Fair enough, players like Kane and Giroux are rare. If they’re going to be that short AND light, they have to be fast.

But there’s a compelling argument to be made that a shorter player with a naturally muscular frame (e.g. Crosby, Duchene, Kessel) can be a very effective NHL player. Functional toughness. It really has nothing to do with height. Height to weight ratio is FAR more important. Chiarelli confirmed that this is a metric the Bruins consider significantly in their draft considerations. I like the thought process. Given the choice, why not pick a player capable of winning battles on the boards?

This is the issue with RNH. Great, he’s 6’1″. Unfortunately, he’s spindly (180lbs soaking wet) so we wait for a 1C that may or may not mature into a player that can compete reasonably well in the hard areas.

Telling Stu to draft for size/need is a mistake imo. It takes too many options off the board for your scouting director and provides too many excuses if the pick doesn’t pan out. The Oilers HAVE to identify the true impact players in this draft, and if those players identified don’t fall to them at their slot, they should trade the pick for immediate help at C or D.

This team cannot afford another long development curve (RNH) or project pick (Yak) with this top 3 pick. They need another Hall pick (immediate and sustainable impact) with this blue chip. Hopefully, MacT/Stu and company are looking at it from that perspective, and not just the viewpoint of ‘he’s over 6’0″ and 200lbs” exactly what we need.

48. Bank Shot says:

G Money: There’s an excellent chance Hall would have won the Hart playing on any team in the upper half of the teams standings chart.

If he scored 25 more points this season I think he would have a pretty solid crack at it.

49. sliderule says:

The thing that concerns me about Draisaitl is with his late birth date is he going to be Hamill (bust) or Brassard(decent centre)
    Both Hamill and Brassard had great stats in draft year but in predraft season they had similar mundane numbers as Draisaitl.They had similar late birth dates of Draisaitl.

50. Ducey says:

denny33: David Staples thinks the Sabres might select the Draisaitl kid first overall…..Tim Murray ( Sabres GM ) really likes the kid. Also seems to think Panthers – Tallon will not pass on Ekblad.That would leave Bennett or Reinhart for the Oilers …….I find the draft very interesting. ( NFL as wellAlso posted points/ game numbers for past D prospects.Tim Murray seems to suggest that Ekblad is not very dynamic and might not warrant BPA. I agree. Aaron in my mind will be a monster 2-way shut down 2nd pairing guy to play with Petry. At 64 – and lets say 220 pounds – Aaron would look real nice against the WC teams.Should we have taken Ryan Murray? I still say no – but for those people that say yes, for your consideration – Aaron Ekblad.Ryan Murray .67 pts/gameAaron Ekblad .91 pts gameAlex Pieteranglo .88 pts / gamePK Subban – .82 pts / game

David Staples has no access to anyone or anything. How would he know?

He and Paula Simons drive me nuts. Never done anything in your life? Well then you are qualified to comment as an expert on everything.

51. denny33 says:

David Staples great work on the Cult of Hockey:
    (http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/10/look-at-all-the-oilers-staring-at-the-puck-ferraro-says-summing-up-exactly-what-is-wrong-in-edmonton/)

Not only did this Oilers team **not** improve, not only was it **worse** than last year, but top players like Nugent-Hopkins appeared to get worse, making more mental errors than they had in the past under fired coaches Ralph Krueger and Tom Renney.

Structural improvements in their games? Sorry, didn’t see it.

Instead I saw what Ferraro saw, ***constant***mental mistakes, especially from the Oil’s group of puck-watching young forwards, namely Sam Gagner, David Perron, Nail Yakupov, Taylor Hall and even Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle, who seemed to play better fundamental hockey in the past than they did this year.

******************************************************************************

Never have I seen so much hope placed on a team obtaining assistant coaches…

Barring a trade for a #1 D-man – or stud 2C – it is hard to picture this OIler team morphing into a competitive team next year.

I am sure I will change my tune when draft day comes and we have a new
    2C or stud D-man and enthusiasm and optimism are high… but in the wake of this past season there appears to be little to like about the Edmonton Oilers as a team. Not talent level
    Team.

Eagerly awaiting the end of the season/playoffs so we can wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

Is it really logical to expect this team – even if we add a piece here or there – to morph into a **fundamentally** sound one?

Dallas Eakins had a really, really long training camp and an extended mid -season Oly mini-camp.

These players are starting to put a solid resume together of poor defensive awareness and compete level. If your Sam Gagner your reputation in this area has been earned years ago…

I think 1 or 2 players of importance will be moved this summer – maybe that will shake the team out of its stupor.

I guess that is why I focus on the draft so much – it strikes a more positive tone – much more so than the UFA scrap heap.

52. slopitch says:

I missed the Spezza thread yesterday. Overall, I don’t like it as I believe the cost would be too high. However the scenario where you can get Spezza for Gagner+ and keep him for 1 year almost makes sense. That way you can draft Draisatl and have Spezza as a (excellent) one year stop gap.

The top 6 would be dynamite, and Spezza is 6″3 215 lbs.

4-93-14
    57-Spezza-64

This lineup could get the Oilers in the show and get the kids playing meaningful hockey. You may lose Spezza and maybe thats the plan but you always have the option to resign him. Filling out the bottom 6 is doable and finding a vet D is still a challenge. In fact without a vet D we still lack balance and have not enough options to get the forwards the puck. It does solve one of the 2 problems on the team however.

53. su_dhillon says:

Is Tamby still on the payroll? Can we send him to the lottery?

54. G Money says:

denny33: Never have I seen so much hope placed on a team obtaining assistant coaches…

Out of curiousity, have you watched any of the Oil Changes this year?

I ask because I’m very much in the camp of ‘we need new assistant coaches’.

I felt before that this was the case, just because of the track record.

I am now 100% certain that our assistant coaches are [a big part of] the problem after seeing one of the Oil Changes where they showed Gerry Fleming and Rocky Thompson working with Klefbom and Marincin. Their direct, friendly coaching approach impressed the sh*t out of me. No wonder OKC defenders seem to look so good.

On the other hand, I’ve seen little of Bucky or Smith in action, but what I’ve seen didn’t impress me.

The other thing to look at is ryanbatty’s shot differential chart history of the Oilers: http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/imported_assets/2143807/WbRFnyR.jpg

The decline started before Bucky and Smith got on board, but you can see that talk of where Eakins, Krueger, etc. come in seem almost meaningless. The only guy who even momentarily reversed that cliff-like decline was Renney. And that didn’t last long (though as I recall injuries played a huge part in that).

Bucky and Smith gotta go.

Gret99zky:

Jesus.Hall would have won the Hart Trophy as a Sen this year.

56. Lois Lowe says:

Woodguy,

So what you’re saying is Hall and Yak (he has negative value now) to Toronto for Kadri and Clarkson? Sounds fair.

Yours,

Damospin

Bank Shot: Tyler called him a 50-60 point player Woodguy.

Perhaps its was LT who had 55-65 in the re: after his big year.

On my phone, so looking isn’t easy. Can you find it?

Lois Lowe:
    Woodguy,

Yours,

Damospin

“I think EDM needs to add their 1st rounder”
    - Steve Simmons

su_dhillon:
    Is Tamby still on the payroll? Can we send him to the lottery?

MacT is sending Howson.

Perhaps Howson borrowed one of V4.1′s ties.

Eberle’s contract is going to be value for money. The top guys on new contracts are getting $8 million per season now.

I am flabbergasted that people are still bringing up that contract now that the top guys (Perry, Kessel) are getting over 30% more on new deals. Ovechkin is $9.5.

61. sumaclab says:

Jordan Eberle is going nowhere. The Oilers will take Bennett or Draisatl

If the Isles take this years pick they have no shot at MCDavid. So the Isles may forfeit to Buffalo this years #4 pick. Buffalo with 2 picks and a possible 3rd pick if St Louis jumps through hoops and does a swan dive. I would bet that if Buffalo has 3 picks in the first round then one of their top 5 picks is sold for auction. They also may get another first round pick if someone takes Ehrhoff off their hands. The GM of Buffalo has a lot of potential cards he might have to play at the draft.

As appealing as Ehrhoff is I still am not giving up an Eberle or aYak for an overpriced veteran with so many of our own prospects pushing at the door in the next couple of years. A more Jason Smith like dman is needed. a grittier shut down the cycle kinda guy who will fill in your face if you get to uppity. We have enough Cinderella’s, we need more ugly step sisters.

As far as the WHC goes I think Hall,Eberle and Nuge should all go. Need to end the year on a positive note and a Gold Medal win might be what these guys need to bolster their confidence.

62. sumaclab says:

BTW how screwed are Ottawa. Anaheim has their 1st round pick. Do the ducks ever do anything wrong. They get rid of a 40+ scorer and still win 50 games.

63. russ99 says:

When’s the draft lottery?

I’m really worried about us falling to 4th where all of Draisaitl, Ekblad and Bennett will be gone before we pick…

godot10:
    Eberle’s contract is going to be value for money.The top guys on new contracts are getting $8 million per season now.

I am flabbergasted that people are still bringing up that contract now that the top guys (Perry, Kessel) are getting over 30% more on new deals.Ovechkin is $9.5.

The only two posts that brought up his contract was LT’s initial post (non-commital) and Bankshot (says it’s valu

So who are you railing against?

65. Lois Lowe says:

russ99,

That means Reinhart is still available and he’s a helluva talent.

66. Factotum says:

Points percentage, 2013-2014: 0.409
    Points percentage, *previous* 82 games: 0.482

Goal differential, 2013-2014: -67
    Goal differential, *previous* 82 games: -16

I understand the shot/possession metrics will probably show the difference to be smaller than this (i.e. more evenly putrid), but this sure looks like a significant step backward.

Personally, I doubt a quick fix is possible.

Edit to add: P.S. Ebs isn’t going anywhere.

67. Ducey says:

Woodguy: MacT is sending Howson.Perhaps Howson borrowed one of V4.1′s ties.

Oh, no. Howson lost the lottery in 2012.

I guess we will see tomorrow. Can’t wait.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: MacT is sending Howson.

Perhaps Howson borrowed one of V4.1′s ties.

this gets me every damn time

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:
    When’s the draft lottery?

I’d be pretty happy with Reinhart.

And, I say that as a nut for Draisaitl

70. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: Re: of 55pts after his big year. Very sound reasoning.

55-65pts seems to be his range.

Perhaps 57-67 or so.

Thanks LT

10-11 21.4 G/82gp (18 G in 69 gp)
    11-12 35.7 G/82gp (34 G in 78 gp)
    12-13 27.3 G/82gp (16 G in 48 gp)
    13-14 28.7 G/82gp (28 G in 80 gp)
    Total 28.6 G/82GP (96 G in 275 gp)

Pretty consistent last couple of years, and the two outliers (years 1 and 2) are both about the same distance from the mean. I expect an uptick in the next year or two, a la Corey Perry, Wayne Simmonds, Joe Pavelski, etc.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:
    When’s the draft lottery?

8pm tomorrow

72. rickithebear says:

Trading Eberle?

last 2 years rank for RW
    Eberle 6.0M UFA 2019
    128gm 44G (7th) 58A (7th) 102P (7th) 33 EVG (8th)

He performance there with
    Wheeler 5.6M UFA 2019
    Voracek 4.25M UFA 2016
    Iginla 6.0M UFA
    Jagr 4.0M UFA
    Pomminville 5.6M ufa 2019
    Hossa 5.275M UFA 2021
    Simmonds 3.98M UFA 2019

All the mat Greene Haters!

You win buy Improving gf; EVGF and reducing GA; EVGA.

Matt Greene is a strong box D.
    He is not suited playing with another box Dman like Mitchell; Scuderi; Johnson.

Greene playing with a Puck movement Dman is by Season.
    13-14 1.29 EVGA
    12-13 N/A
    11-12 1.52
    10-11 1.46
    9-10 1.44

that is 1.43 EVGA for the last 4/5 seasons. +0.90 EVGA/60
    His production is
    4 EVG (top 60) 10 EVA (top 110) 14 EVP (top 90)

Romulus Apotheosis: this gets me every damn time

Link doesn’t work on my phone.

Is that Mike W’s “Tambo tie shopping”?

That’s top drawer.

Tambo used the same strategy negotiating with Khabby and Barker.

Factotum:
    Points percentage, 2013-2014:0.409
    Points percentage, *previous* 82 games:0.482

Goal differential, 2013-2014: -67
    Goal differential, *previous* 82 games:-16

Personally, I doubt a quick fix is possible.

Edit to add:P.S. Ebs isn’t going anywhere.

This is good stuff.

You should bring it up in the Eakins thread.

I have a feeling that one will be a couple pages long.

75. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy:

So who are you railing against?

He’s yelling at his shopping cart again

76. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m less inclined to trade Eberle now that Hemsky is gone-any trade of the wunder kids has to return 100 cents on the dollar and I don’t think that happens

I’m not certain how MacT is going to get us out of this mess…I see a marginal upgrade on D(a Hainsey type) and some nibbling around the edges in the bottom 6, a bunch of young men playing D for the Oilers next year and another season in the 2nd division.

77. Bag of Pucks says:

Was having a play with the Player Usage Charts today considering potential Gagner trade scenarios.

Thought process was targeting Eastern teams (less likely to have seen Samwise bad) in need of C scoring, sending out Gags along with Musil in return for a 3rd line winger with size and a Top 4 D.

Came up with the following:

FLA
    Gagner & Musil for Kulikov and Kopecky

NJ
    Gagner & Musil for Clowe and Fayne

NYR
    Gagner & Musil for Kreider and Diaz

Anybody see any of these 3 scenarios being a realistic possibility? Would sweetening the pie from Musil to Marincin make them happen (particularly the FLA option)? Would that be too much?

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Link doesn’t work on my phone.

Is that Mike W’s “Tambo tie shopping”?

That’s top drawer.

Tambo used the same strategy negotiating with Khabby and Barker.

that’s the one.

I put it on twitter too. it should show up on your phone that way (screen shot)

79. rickithebear says:

sumaclab:
    BTW how screwed are Ottawa. Anaheim has their 1st round pick. Do the ducks ever do anything wrong. They get rid of a 40+ scorerand still win 50 games.

Ryan:
    12-13 46GM 11G 9 EVG
    13-14 70gm 23G 17EVG

Cogliano
    12-13 48gm 13G 13 EVG
    13-14 82gm 21G 21EVG

PS first 2 years of career and last three years
    83G/565Sh 14.7%

3rd and 4th year.
    21G/268SH 7.8%
    i remember a whole collection of people saying tthat his shooting % was unsustainable.
    because of PDO.

I stated by observation that he released in the high % areas (distance)
    But shot success by distance was rejected. LOL!

How did that PDO work for us?

80. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: that’s the one.

I put it on twitter too. it should show up on your phone that way (screen shot)

The link is broken though – it’s not just broken on phone.

81. Bag of Pucks says:

Speaking of CA teams that never seem to do wrong, how about SJ?

Heatley, Clowe, Setoguchi, Murray. Wilson is great at identifying the perfect time to part with an asset and more often than not gets the better return in terms of a trending player or quality picks. Like Det, SJ strikes me as a club where the system is so strong, individual players inevitably suffer when playing elsewhere. For other GMs, it has to be buyer beware when approaching Wilson for trade talks.

ANA has been unbelievably solid in the draft of late. Love him or hate him, I would think Burke has to get a lot of credit for the quality of the Ducks’ scouting department.

The NHL may have jinxed the Oilers with this latest re-alignment. I just looked out the window westward and still don’t see the ‘Pacific.’ What gives?

82. hunter1909 says:

Ducey: You are still drinking a lot of cheap liquor though, right?

Reasonably priced.

Woodguy: “I think EDM needs to add their 1st rounder”
    - Steve Simmons

This. I was about to say goodbye until next October, because this is the kind of endless drivel I never enjoy.

Draft lottery tomorrow!!?????

83. hunter1909 says:

G Money: Out of curiousity, have you watched any of the Oil Changes this year?
    I ask because I’m very much in the camp of ‘we need new assistant coaches’.
    I felt before that this was the case, just because of the track record.

Exactly what didn’t you like about them?

Re watching “Oil Change”: I can’t bear to watch. Nevertheless, in 5-10 years from now after everyone playing on the team this week is long gone, with zero cups to show it figures to be serious camp entertainment.

Something to look forward to, lol.

84. FastOil says:

Bag of Pucks:

Here’s some heights and weights for some pretty good hockey players.

Crosby 5’11″ 200lbs
    Giroux 5’11 172lbs
    Pavelski 5’11″ 190lbs
    Duchene 5’11 200lbs
    Kane 5’11 181lbs
    Krejci 6’0 188lbs
    Kessel 6’0 202lbs

Thanks for posting that. I try not to anymore, but the height weight ration is absolutely the key. Players just need to be strong enough at whatever height, and most will have to be skilled/good skaters to be above average. Not necessarily blazing fast, but agile for sure.

The other thing about being too lean is I think the physical strain wears on them more, which is why Nuge seems to run out of gas. He engages but is likely working much harder than his opponent. It also makes me wonder if Gagner is 5’11″ and 200 why he isn’t stronger, that a pretty solid build normally.

85. Ducey says:

The Oilers should be trying to grab David Booth.

Decent size, skates well, good CF% 52%, Rel Corsi +1, tough zone starts.

Could play third line winger. Maybe move up in a pinch.

Is waaaay over priced at $4.25 M next year and likely would come cheap as a salary dump – maybe a 5th rounder?

86. Traktor says:

Eberle is no Doug Gilmour.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: The link is broken though – it’s not just broken on phone.

weird. works fine for me.

try this

88. Marcus Oilerius says:

sumaclab:

I think Ottawa’s fine. I’d trade a late lottery pick for Bobby Ryan any day of the week, particularly in what’s been acknowledged as a weak draft.

89. Andy P says:

denny33:

Also posted points/ game numbers for past D prospects.

Tim Murray seems to suggest that Ekblad is not very dynamicand might not warrant BPA.

I agree. Aaron in my mind will be a monster 2-wayshut down 2nd pairing guy to play with Petry. At 64 – and lets say 220 pounds – Aaron would look real nice against the WC teams.

Ryan Murray .67 pts/game
    Aaron Ekblad .91 pts game
    Alex Pieteranglo.88 pts / game
    PK Subban –.82 pts / game

But what size/weight were the others at that time?

90. AZOIL says:

Barry Trotz is gone in Nashville! Who are the hot coaches out there right now? I sincerely hope we upgrade our assistants. My thoughts are now that the season ended on a better note they will leave the assistants in place!!!

91. rickithebear says:

Traktor:
    Eberle is no Doug Gilmour.

Doug Gilmour was a Career 2nd line C.

behind
    82-88TL Federko 5 yr
    89-91 CGY Niewendyk 3.5 yr
    92-94 TOR #1C 2yr
    94-97 TOR Sundin 3 yr
    97-98 NJD Holik 1yr
    98-00 CHI Khamnov 2 yr
    00-01 BUF S. Barnes 1 yr
    01-03 MTl Perault/ Koivu 2yr

We can say Eberle has been a 1st line RW his last 3 years.

Can you imagine a 2nd line center in the Hall of Fame.

92. Zangetsu says:

Why is it that Eckblad’s size is a concern and draisaitl’s isn’t. Eckblad being ahead of the game in terms of strength size, ect is a worry, but draisaitl’s same attributes make him a target. Am I missing something? Size doesn’t enter into the equation I have unless skill is equal, but to each his own.

93. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: weird. works fine for me.

try this

Thanks, that works. Also, a little testing revealed that I can open the original if I right click and choose open in new tab or window. Usually, clicking causes the link to open in a little pop-up, but not in this case.

94. G Money says:

FastOil: the height weight ration

95. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

Cogliano’s shooting percentage by year:

2008: 18.4%
    2009: 15.5%
    2010: 7.2%
    2011: 8.5%
    2012: 11.3%
    2013: 16.5%
    2014: 13.4%
    Career average: 12.5%

So why did Cogliano suddenly stop shooting from high percentage areas in 2010 and 2011? And why hasn’t he ever returned to shooting from the same high percentage areas as he shot from in 2008?

I honestly have no idea how you’re finding support in the above numbers for the proposition that Cogliano was not destined to regress to a lower mean from his first two seasons. Since, um, he has totally regressed to a lower mean from his first two seasons.

96. G Money says:

hunter1909: Exactly what didn’t you like about them?

I’ve only seen a handful of snippets on and off the ice, but my impression of them is … they sound dumb.

If it’s any consolation, though he sounds like he knows what he’s doing when speaking about the game, the few on-ice snippets I’ve seen of Eakins he sounds like an a**hole.

97. denny33 says:

G Money,

Out of curiousity, have you watched any of the Oil Changes this year?
    I ask because I’m very much in the camp of ‘we need new assistant coaches’.
    I felt before that this was the case, just because of the track record.
    **********************************************************************
    Did not catch any episodes this year….

Never going to argue we don’t need a change -but not sure how much impact that will have…seen clips the prior year of Smith going through tons of video with the kids. Seemed to be trying to teach.

Just seems to be a lot of focus on asst. coaches as being a “fix”….just don’t think I have ever come across this ….again, this is not to be construed as a defence of Bucky or Smith.

98. stevezie says:

rickithebear: Doug Gilmour was a Career 2nd line C.

behind
    82-88TL Federko 5 yr
    89-91 CGY Niewendyk 3.5 yr
    92-94 TOR #1C 2yr
    94-97 TOR Sundin 3 yr

This is not accurate. First of all, Gilmour was a dominant two-way player before it was cool. Secondly, Gimour and Niewendyk were within five points of each other EVERY year they played together. At worst they were 1 and 1a.
    Thirdly, look at those Blues teams from 87 and 88- Gilmour was outscoring Federko. Maybe Federko had tougher matchups, I really couldn’t say. At worst he might have been Krejci to Bernie’s Bergeron, but since Gilmour was the defensive ace I would call him the #1.

Also, during the reign at the top you granted him he was not just a first line center, he was one of the top five players in the game (Arguably the best- I wouldn’t argue that, but many did).

Give the devil his due.

99. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Interesting trade thoughts…..Gagner to the East makes a lot of sense.

Just read the Nelson interview and Musil’s foot speed is real concern…not sure how much
    value other teams see with that player.

100. Bag of Pucks says:

denny33:
    Bag of Pucks,

Interesting trade thoughts…..Gagner to the East makes a lot of sense.

value other teams see with that player.

Disappointing to hear that about Musil. Finally got around to watching the last episode of Oil Change and Gernat is rail thin. Looks like Captain America pre Super Soldier surgery.

Looks like Nurse and Simpson are the only D prospects of real worth then (excluding the ones who’ve already made the jump of course).

Btw LT, giving we’re heading into the Oilers’ offseason, how about some love for Amber Heard on the blog? 27, blonde, bisexual….yet another reason to hate Johnny Depp.

101. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

******************************************************************************
    For the sake of the forum – I have done some research on the subject.

With this in mind, I would like to 2nd BOP’s proposal…..

102. Marcus Oilerius says:

If you’re considering firing Eakins but the only thing stopping you is “but it looks bad to fire him and hire another coach”, Barry Trotz is a big enough name that the conversation changes to “they fired another coach after just one year, but this is Barry Trotz coming in. He knows how to get players to do what needs to be done.”

He loses his starting goaltender for 51 games, and is desperate enough to find a replacement he starts Dubnyk twice, for two bad results. They ran with Carter Hutton, better known as “Carter Who?” around the league, whose best result was a 2.62 GAA and 0.908 SV% in the AHL. At age 28, he’d had 1 start in the big league. The team is still recovering from the loss of Suter and he’s bringing in a raw 19-year-old rookie, fresh from the draft, to help mend his defence. At one point Nashville looked like they might reach down and challenge the Oilers and Sabres for the basement.

Even as late as 70 games in, the Preds were 29-31-11, good for 12th in the West. Then they tore off a 9-1-2 streak to end the season, ending up 38-32-12 for 10th in the West, and had a goal differential that would have put them ninth, ahead of Phoenix and their well-respected coach and team.

103. Bag of Pucks says:

denny33:
    Bag of Pucks,

******************************************************************************
    For the sake of the forum – I have done some research on the subject.

With this in mind, I would like to 2nd BOP’s proposal…..

Drive Angry may go down in history as one of the all-time worst movies EVER alongside CHUD, Pluto Nash and Leonard Part 6.

I would watch the first half again because of Amber Heard in cut-offs

104. Bag of Pucks says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    If you’re considering firing Eakins but the only thing stopping you is “but it looks bad to fire him and hire another coach”, Barry Trotz is a big enough name that the conversation changes to “they fired another coach after just one year, but this is Barry Trotz coming in.He knows how to get players to do what needs to be done.”

He loses his starting goaltender for 51 games, and is desperate enough to find a replacement he starts Dubnyk twice, for two bad results.They ran with Carter Hutton, better known as “Carter Who?” around the league, whose best result was a 2.62 GAA and 0.908 SV% in the AHL.At age 28, he’d had 1 start in the big league. The team is still recovering from the loss of Suter and he’s bringing in a raw 19-year-old rookie, fresh from the draft, to help mend his defence.At one point Nashville looked like they might reach down and challenge the Oilers and Sabres for the basement.

Even as late as 70 games in, the Preds were 29-31-11, good for 12th in the West.Then they tore off a 9-1-2 streak to end the season, ending up 38-32-12 for 10th in the West, and had a goal differential that would have put them ninth, ahead of Phoenix and their well-respected coach and team.

Cos teams who fire their coach EVERY year are so, so successful.

105. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks: Cos teams who fire their coach EVERY year are so, so successful.

I’m not saying that’s what we should do. After Woodguy’s convincing posts on the subject I’d give Eakins another season based on the goaltending thing and bad roster, but I think if the only thing stopping you was “we don’t want to fire another coach”, Barry Trotz is notable enough to change the conversation.

106. FastOil says:

G Money: When they rationed height and weight, it seems I either got too little of the former or too much of the latter.

Yes I sympathize :)

107. Bag of Pucks says:

Bohologo

If there is a better coach out there than Mr. Eakins, don’t you want to have her/him behind the bench?

I sure do.

B) One of the biggest factors negatively impacting this rebuild IMO is the coaching carousel. Establishing a consistent system and team culture takes time, repetition and commitment. Really don’t understand why this is so hard for some folks to understand? Changing the boss every year doesn’t work anywhere else. Why would it in hockey?

The verbal from most of the outgoing players yesterday seems to indicate 1) they’re buying into what Eakins’ is selling & 2) they’re seeing progress, however incremental. Why would you send them back to the drawing board? Keeping in mind that Trotz coached teams have never won sweet fa in the NHL.

108. AZOIL says:

BTW by bringing up Trptz I was not insinuating we go after him at all! I want Eakins to stay on for sure, I am more curious who Nashville is going to go after? I also think we need a new assistant to fix our PP cause we should have a very good powerplay with our skill, and we did have one of the better ones under Kruger so we need to get back to that somehow. Hiring Trotz, no matter how good he is would set us back.

109. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Pretty good company. Point a game club (20+ games). Next step. Jumping the 1.1 guys.

1.30 Crosby
    1.20 Malkin
    1.13 Getzlaf
    1.12 Tavares
    1.08 Stamkos
    1.07 HALL & Zetterberg
    1.05 Seguin & Giroux
    1.03 Neal
    1.01 Ovechkin & Perry
    1.00 Kane

110. Bag of Pucks says:

Bohologo

My preference is to go with someone with a demonstrated track record of results. Trotz is one such person.

So was Tom Renney…

111. Marcus Oilerius says:

Bag of Pucks: So was Tom Renney…

I wasn’t around here back then, but my recollection is that Renney’s dismissal was met with skepticism. Most people recognized the roster as the problem. In hindsight, the lame attempt to scapegoat Renney was just more proof of what an idiot Tambellini was. Not just in the harm to the organization, but because in retrospect it’s so plainly obvious how bad the roster was and where the real blame lay. The public also was very understanding that it’s a rebuild, so I don’t feel as if there was a particularly great calling for a sacrifice to begin with.

112. Marc says:

su_dhillon:

This is flat out wrong. They weren’t having similar seasons – Eberle’s was much better.

The thing that seems to get conveniently overlooked by people who loved Hall’s contract but screamed about Eberle’s at the time is that at the point at which the contracts were signed Eberle had better numbers than Hall in pretty much every measurable way, both in that season and in their first two seasons added together. He had more goals, more points, more points per game and had remained healthier over his first two seasons (which is pretty important when you’re dishing out long term deals).

If you try to tell Eberle at that stage that he’s nonetheless worth less than Hall, you’re sending a clear message to him and everyone else on the team that the Oilers don’t pay for on ice performance, they pay based on reputation and where you got drafted. Is that really the message you want to send your team?

They of course could have waited a year, to see if Eberle’s shooting percentage came down and they could get him for less, but Hall went nova the next year, so any savings on his contract (and probably a bit more on top) would have been in Hall’s, so the team wouldn’t be any better off

113. theres oil in virginia says:

Bag of Pucks: A) There’s no empirical proof that Trotz is a better coach than Eakins. More experienced undoubtedly, but ‘better?’ Difficult to prove.

Further to the point, MacT found THE coach he thought would best fit what he was trying to do and he essentially hired him on the spot. Eakins will be given every chance to develop the roster as time goes along. You can’t go out looking for the best available coach every year, even if there is a way to distinguish which is better.

114. Marc says:

The other thing to remember is that over the course of their ELC’s Eberle actually outscored Hall, but Hall made millions more than Eberle did, as his bonuses were much, much higher on account of his draft position. Eberle’s ELC was easily the best Oiler contract of the cap era (not that they did anything with the space) and one of the best in NHL as a whole.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oilers were will not be a bit more generous with Eberle’s second contract to try and make good the obvious unfairness of the first. That kind of attitude can buy a lot of goodwill from your players.

115. cc says:

Woodguy: If Hall played in the EC he’d have over 90 points and would be mentioned in Hart talk.

The whole works of you, with all this Hall – Hart chatter!! LoL, give it up already.

116. stevezie says:

For those of you who hate being productive, http://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/

This is the complete history of NHL awards voting. Not just who won, but how close the runners up came.

There are too many questions to get into the whole conversation now, but there is one pertinent one: Does Hall have a chance to be the first Oiler to finish in the top ten for Hart voting since Doug Weight in 2000?

Last year he did not get one vote. Pascal Dupuis got a fifth place nomination, but Hall was shut out. In some ways that makes less sense than being relegated to the 3rd all-star team.

(Okay I have one question- how the hell did Lemiuex finish fifth in Hart voting in 1992? How did Messier not just win, but run away with first? I remember him good, but his reputation is not just incongruous with his numbers, it is some word that means “extraordinarily out of proportion.” Who can explain this? Don’t just tell me why he was good, tell me why he was light years better than Lemeiux’s >2 points a game, Hull’s 70 goals, and Patrick Roy changing the goaltending position).

117. stevezie says:

I got the year wrong- Weight tied for 6th in 2001. Pronger got one fifth place vote in 2006, the last Oiler to get a Hart point.

118. theres oil in virginia says:

Changing coaches is equivalent to changing centers?

How about when a “better” coach comes along after that? Do you replace the coach again? What about mid-season if one gets fired?

119. prairieschooner says:

It is exciting to project new toys coming to the team but it appears there would be a strong likelihood that Spezza would be a short term solution because of the risk of him not re signing.
    If we are looking at a bridge player who is he bridging us too?
    We do not have a centre who is a year or two away form 1st or 2nd line duty
    We can use bridge players on D to allow Klefblom Nurse and co to find their game those are high picks who we hope will mature a bit faster.
    The Oilers have to trade a good player or two to change the physical aspect of the team and also to be more versatile (The Oil Kings have done a good job of this).
    We knew but did not want to face the facts that we have to give up some of our toys to get someone else’s toys. If the oilers can not trade one of their BPA selections then maybe they should be picking positional need.
    We have been picking extremely high in recent drafts where there may not be much to choose from why pick a marginally better player when you could pick a slightly lesser regarded player that would add more to the team from a balance point of view, especially when the lesser player may turn out better in the long run anyway.
    I understand BPA when selecting for arguments sake at 11,12,13 and later but top picks are usually going to give you a decent NHL player.
    If you can’t make the trade market work when you need it to then maybe stay out of it

120. theres oil in virginia says:

Bohologo,

(Sorry, I was getting hassled by my six year old – he’s in bed now.)

I agree with some of what you’re saying. Trotz is a good coach, and likely is a better coach than Eakins, and it was likely a mistake to fire him. He’s certainly a more experienced coach. Maybe they wanted to go with a different style? I don’t know, but I doubt he was the problem there.

I don’t agree that changing coach is similar to changing center; it can be very disruptive. In the case of the Oilers even more so than usual, because of the battle for control of the team that apparently just occurred. If a coach is taking a playoff-worthy roster and underperforming, then changing coaches may be for the best, but it doesn’t always work out. There is such a thing as continuity of the message. There is also the issue of control. These guys get to thinking the coach could be gone any minute, and good luck pushing them to work hard or sacrifice for the game plan, or pay attention to the details that don’t immediately show up in the boxcars – especially a young team.

Nobody would come and work for an organization that was constantly willing to change coaches if, at any time, a “better” one came along. Basically, every coach is the interim coach. I don’t think that’s what you’re saying either, though?

Anyway, most of my point was that MacT found the coach he wants and he’s going to give him every opportunity to take the team forward. I doubt Eakins is in danger unless next season is a disaster like this one. I have a pension for misreading these things though. I thought they’d have enough sense to keep Renney – in fact, I thought it was obvious that they’d give him another year and take it from there. Foolish me, I didn’t think Tambo was THAT incompetent.

121. gr8one says:

sumaclab:

Don’t under estimate how good Silfverberg is going to be, his season was derailed drastically by a broken hand, but he’s only 23 and going to be a very good player for a very long time. And we’re not even taking into consideration Noeson, whom also has a fair bit of potential.

122. gcw_rocks says:

Phoenix missed the playoffs because they couldn’t score.

Time to offer Eberle or RNH for Ekman-Larsson. I would guess Phoenix would want RNH.

Then, draft the German or Bennett to be the eventual replacement and throw big dollars at Statsny. Grabovski is the back up if you lose out on Statsny. Or Spezza.

OEL anchors your defence while the Oilers have multiple options to replace RNH.

gcw_rocks:
    Phoenix missed the playoffs because they couldn’t score.

Time to offer Eberle or RNH for Ekman-Larsson.I would guess Phoenix would want RNH.

Then, draft the German or Bennett to be the eventual replacement and throw big dollars at Statsny.Grabovski is the back up if you lose out on Statsny.Or Spezza.

OEL anchors your defence while the Oilers have multiple options to replace RNH.

You know a bunch of Calgary billioniare oilmen just bought the Coyotes. Why would they not just keep OEL and go get Paul Stastny for themselves?

124. dangilitis says:

Woodguy: Woo

Phoenix not a good example. They could only break out the party hats 3x for players cracking the 50 pt mark this year! No one even close to 60 pts, and pt scoring led by a defenceman.

125. dangilitis says:

G Money: Bucky

That’s ridiculous.

They’re better assistant coaches in OKC because (a) their defenceman look better (in the AHL), (b) they are direct and friendly, and (c) you didn’t see Smith or Bucky good on an Oilers documentary series?

That is the crux of your argument? Well thought.

I know this is going to compromise my stance, but I have had a beer with Bucky, and thinking he’s not a friendly person is beyond the definition of misinformed.

But I will prove to you I am unbiased by saying I think he should go, as should most or any of the assistance coaches the head coach wants to replace. I don’t think Bucky has been the problem, nor Smith, but they certainly have not been the solution. But if you think firing the assistant coaches helps the Oilers become a playoff team in and of itself, that’s delusional.

What is way more pressing is Eakins calling the shots. I don’t think he has the courage of his convictions, as he bailed on his system when the pressure got too great, rather than calling a spade a spade (Dubnyk needed to go back to the beach to practice catching balls). Which sucks for a guy who purports himself to be such a person. He gets a lot of little things and says the right things. He reportedly slows the pace down in practices to a standstill to belabor details that young guys do not seem to be registering.

What’s most telling to me – Eakins was recently quoted as talking about modeling his coaching style after Barry Trotz. Trotz coached Eakins in the AHL (where the guy played the majority of his career and has received most coaching experience). Then Trotz makes a comment about Dubnyk’s “bad habits” after coming from Edmonton. Telling. Maybe more of an indictment of Chabot, but regardless…

Then Trotz gets fired. Fuck the carousel of coaches. Let it continue. Trotz generally squeezes more out of his team than he should be, and Poille fucked the dog on this one by letting the guy go. I never pegged Poille for that kind of a person, to throw his coach under the bus after giving him an inept set of players, but so be it. Their loss. Eakins wants to be like Trotz. Trotz is Trotz. Am I missing something here? Hire Trotz, right? Isn’t this simple? Eakins would probably approve of it, too (other than the whole loss of his job thing).

126. Halfwise says:

Guys, there are two ways of looking at Eakins’ impact on the team this year:
    1) The team played below its potential because he can not coach.
    or
    2) The team played below its potential because it took until ~January to adjust to his coaching.

The first explanation, if it is true, says “fire Eakins”.
    The second explanation says the team’s potential is reflected in its performance since January.

Firing Eakins is not a risk-free activity. MacT did not expect that it would take three months for everyone to get onto the same page when he replaced RK. I bet he learned something over the winter.

MacT’s priority should be to improve the team’s potential, not introduce another major risk.