RE 13-14 TYLER PITLICK: WILD NIGHT

Three years after the 2010 entry draft, you could make a case it would be Taylor Hall and that is all for the Edmonton Oilers and Stu MacGregor. One year later? Hall has been joined by a pair of young players, and the future looks brighter.

Tyler Pitlick 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.68 (13th among forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 14th toughest competition among regulars (fourth line)
  • Qual Team: 12th best competition among regulars (third line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 41.5
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -2.9
  • Zone Start: 23% (3rd toughest on the team among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 9 shots/11.1% (4th among forwards with more than 5 shots)
  • Boxcars: 10GP, 1-0-1
  • Plus Minus: -2 on a team that was -51
  1. What do these numbers tell us? Not a lot, he barely qualified for the RE. Still, he made it, scored a goal, looked effective in the early games (before the knee injury) and made it to the show.
  2. Anything else good news? His Corsi for 5×5% isn’t great, but considering the zone start it’s reasonable for a rookie. I’m not saying he’s a player, but there’s some positive indicators here.
  3. He’s always looked like a player. Yes, he has. He’s a ‘saw him good’ dream, this Pitlick fellow. His goal was nice, driving down the wing and bam! A nice preview of coming attractions, even if it only happens 12 times a year. If that happens.
  4. Can he be that 4line RW for the Gordon-Hendricks line? I think MacT will want to give coach Eakins a stronger option. I know he’d want that if he was the coach, and none of these kids on wing looks like Pisani circa 2002.
  5. Does Pitlick get the heave-ho like Lander? I believe the Oilers will keep him, sign him to a contract and look to have him push for an NHL job in the fall. Risking waivers if it comes to that in September/October.
  6. What does his NHLE suggest? This past season, Pitlick went 39GP, 8-14-22. The NHLE for that is 82GP, 8-13-21.
  7. How does that compare to Lander’s NHLE? Lander is 46GP, 18-34-52. The NHLE for that is 82GP, 14-28-42.
  8. Lander offers TWICE the offense! Lander’s boxcars were loaded with power-play help.
  9. How did they compare at evens? In OKC this past season, Lander was 43, 8-14-22 .511; Pitlick was 39, 4-10-14 .359. If you factor in quality of linemates, et cetera, they’re on par with each other. Neither one is going to hit anywhere near the heart of the order.
  10. Are they applying for the same job? No, not really. Eakins told us Lander’s job would be utility forward, I think they may see Pitlick as a two-way winger who can fill a checking role. He may eventually fill that tough zone start 4line role you mentioned above. It’s important to mention the organization has no one in management who is attached to either player. Darnell Nurse has a much brighter future with the Oilers than these guys. Roman Horak, too.
  11. God you’re cynical. Experience tells us when a new GM comes in the prospects turn over. Since becoming GM 12 months ago, MacT has sent away (ahem) Samu Perhonen, Ryan Martindale, Magnus Paajarvi, Toni Rajala, Olivier Roy and Teemu Hartikainen. More to come!
  12. Why this song? Because Van Morrison didn’t write a song called “I think someone is trying to kill me” and this is a great, great song. I thought of it for Pitlick because I think he’s done all the work (“As you brush your shoes, stand before the mirror, And you comb your hair, grab your coat and hat”) and is all ready to dance and make romance. However, there’s always something! It’s the damndest thing with this guy! Chuck Berry’s “No Particular Place to Go” might fit perfectly, but I’m taking Wild Night from the Van the Man collection. If he ever gets to the juke box, sparks will fly!
  13. Let’s talk about this 2010 Entry Draft. This blog has talked about the 2010 entry draft possibly 1,000,000 times.
  14. Are we down to Hall, Marincin and Pitlick now? I think we have Hall as a solid, Marincin is a liquid and Pitlick is mist. The rest of them are quickly evaporating remnants but we’re not five years in, so Davidson, Hamilton, Bunz and the rest still have a little time.
  15. Are you disappointed in the 2010 draft? I could never be disappointed in anything associated with Taylor Hall. He’s a foundation all on his own.
  16. Hall has been disappointing. You’re an idiot.
  17. YOUR an idiot. Perfect.

42 Responses to "RE 13-14 TYLER PITLICK: WILD NIGHT"

YOUR an idiot. Perfect.

Best.

So…….

Now that the smallish, skilled, 2 time Cup winners in the last 4 years Chicago Blackhawks slayed the large, rugged, heavy, strong, beast of a team in St. Louis when do we here the new MSM mantra:

“You need to get more skilled to compete with these teams”

instead of:

“You need to be big and heavy to compete with these teams”

Oh, that right, its never. You’re not going to hear this at all.

3. commonfan14 says:

“Enjoyed this Post?”

Sorry for the threadjack.

Pitlick was the consensus pick where he was and fancystats and seen-him-good types rejoiced when he was picked.

Injuries are a real bitch.

Sometimes the best laid plans go awry.

You can’t always get what you want.

Insert homily here.

5. G Money says:

Woodguy:
    So…….

“You need to get more skilled to compete with these teams”

instead of:

“You need to be big and heavy to compete with these teams”

Oh, that right, its never.You’re not going to hear this at all.

Except your conclusion is based on a premise that isn’t really true. Apart from their Top 3 being ‘shrinkified’ by 181 lb Patrick Kane, the Hawks are *not* a smallish team. To compare:

Blues: F 205 lbs, Top 3 F 207 lbs, D 211 lbs, Top 4 D 206 lbs
    Hawks: F 201 lbs, Top 3 F 197 lbs (Hanzal, Hossa, Toews, Sharp avg 208 lbs), D 202 lbs, Top 4 D 205 lbs

Contrasted with the Oilers:
    F 201 lbs, Top 3 F 187 lbs, D 199 lbs, Top 4 D 190 lbs

Basically:

The Hawks are big enough that their skill can overcome the size difference with the Blues.

The Blues are big enough to easily push the Oilers around.

The Hawks are big enough to push the Oilers around.

There’s not enough skill on any team to overcome the Oilers size deficit to any of the top teams.

This is pure gold: http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=353342

Warning: video link

Woodguy:
    This is pure gold: http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=353342

Warning: video link

The woman in the blue dress is unreal.

8. Lloyd B. says:

Woodguy,

Minus the MSM part I’ve been thinking this for a while. I know it’s a pipe dream at this point but what if / when the Oilers win the cup … will everybody in the league try to build their teams the same way? Traditionally sized guys ( and since when is 5’11″ – 6’1″ small?) that play the game without the heaviness that slows todays game down? The old copy cat syndrome. It happened in the 80s and man that was some exciting hockey. The only problem is that Lowe will then get the last laugh and say see I told you I knew a thing or two about winning. And we won’t have a leg to stand on.

Woodguy: The woman in the blue dress is unreal.

your link does not work. You owe me one woman in a blue dress. Schnell!

G Money: Except your conclusion is based on a premise that isn’t really true. Apart from their Top 3 being ‘shrinkified’ by 181 lb Patrick Kane, the Hawks are *not* a smallish team.To compare:

Blues: F 205 lbs, Top 3 F 207 lbs, D 211 lbs, Top 4 D 206 lbs

Contrasted with the Oilers:
    F 201 lbs, Top 3 F 187 lbs, D 199 lbs, Top 4 D 190 lbs

Basically:

The Blues are big enough to easily push the Oilers around.

The Hawks are big enough to push the Oilers around.

Hi Gmoney,

I never mentioned the Oilers in my post.

Why are you?

Also,

Its all the hockey writers, not just the EDM ones.

I actually rarely read the local MSM unless someone points to something in particular, but tend to read the “national” or “pan-NHL” writers often to keep up on my narratives.

Also,

CHI is never mentioned as a BIGGAR WC team.

They are LAK, STL, ANA and sometimes SJS (which has larger forwards, but a smaller than average Dcorps)

11. Lloyd B. says:

Lowetide: your link does not work. You owe me one woman in a blue dress. Schnell!

x2

Link works for me.

I can’t find it on the TSN video page yet either….

Luongo as a Panelist Intern.

Fantastic.

I’m running Chrome btw. that may make a difference.

Here’s Bob’s original tweet:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 13m
    Haven’t see this yet myself, let me know if it’s any good: http://bit.ly/1rymsLJ @strombone1 @tsnjamesduthie @jamiemclennan29

Try that link

Just tried to run it on Mozilla and it worked, but only after I “allowed whole page” a few times. (I run adblock there)

Just manually disable your blockers for the page and it should work.

16. Lloyd B. says:

Woodguy:

Just manually disable your blockers for the page and it should work.

No luck. I get the audio. no Video. Turned off blockers to no avail. I’m also on Chrome. Odd but I’m no propeller head so I’ll just take your word for it that there is a blue dress and let my mind run amok.

Saw it! PAID IN FULL!

18. Lois Lowe says:

The blue dress is real and it’s spectacular.

19. "Steve Smith" says:

Roberto Luongo has maybe the highest ratio of “affection I have for him” to “affection I would have for him were it not for social media” of anybody on the planet.

(This assumes a scale without negative numbers, obviously; those fuck with things a little.)

20. Alsker says:

Blue has always been my favorite color, especially when displayed in that form…yum yum, nice one WG!

21. G Money says:

Woodguy,

It’s true that Chicago is not one of the BIGGAR teams, yes.

But it’s not really true that they are a ‘smallish’ team as you stated. They are a highly skilled team at the bottom of the heavyweight range – but still a genuine heavyweight, not a middleweight or a lightweight.

It’s an important distinction.

I tied it back to the Oilers because, well, it’s an Oilers blog, and I don’t care much about the lessons learned from the Hawks/Blues except to the extent it helps the Oilers (and don’t tell me that part of your “we need to get skilled not big” isn’t squarely aimed at the Oilers!)

So in that vein, I guess my ultimate point is that your stated/implied conclusion as to team strategy (“you need to get more skilled to compete with these teams”) I think would not be valid for the Oilers when using the Hawks as the template.

Using the Hawks as a template for beating the Blues (and teams like them), the team strategy would/should be “you need to be highly skilled AND you also need to be big enough to be able to use that skill to beat those teams”. (The Oilers of course are neither).

22. Lloyd B. says:

G Money,

Big enough or determined enough? Of course, we are neither of those. I’ll pick skill with determination over big without skill. ideally it would be big, skilled and determined but there are too precious few of those around.

23. sliderule says:

Pitlick might make it because he has some speed and size.

I had hopes he could score but it just hasn’t happened either at AHL level or NHL.

If he could work hard and get 15-20 pts he might give a bridge to some of the younger later picks.

24. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Stop it with the Lander ‘heave ho’ groundswell. Revolutions get started this way.

How about that SJ/Kings hockey. Really good stuff. Hoping it goes to a game seven alley fight.

25. G Money says:

Lloyd B.: ideally it would be big, skilled and determined but there are too precious few of those around.

Aka “Stanley Cup Contenders”!

26. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I personally think Tyler Pitlick has the potential to develop at the NHL level like David Clarkson….if…we are patient and careful in breaking him in. Maybe won’t tuck in a 30 goal campaign but should Clarkson have ever have accomplished it? Seems like it was a real bluebird for him and he was really a 15 goal per year player. Nothing wrong with that. I’d love to have a Clarkson in the mix.

27. Ducey says:

He needs to stay healthy!

Unfortunatly, it looks like he has had more than his fair share of knee injuries.

What are odds he gets healthy all of a sudden?

28. Ducey says:

Lois Lowe:
    The blue dress is real and it’s spectacular.

Not a real blue dress! Thats cruel.

29. cabbiesmacker says:

G Money:
    Woodguy,

It’s true that Chicago is not one of the BIGGAR teams, yes.

30. sliderule says:

I’ve been to Biggar and Tupelo .

Two worlds apart.

31. cabbiesmacker says:

G Money:

When did Hanzal move to Chicago from Phoenix?

Oilers plan should be simple enough. Draft the next Toews, Kane, and Keith then trade for a Sharp and sign a Hossa via free agency. Grab a Saad late in the second, (oops sore spot), a Shaw somewhere in the netherrounds hire Quenneville and play Chelsea Dagger a lot. Voila.

32. bendelson says:

Pittsburg with a deflating series win… If there is such a thing.

33. G Money says:

cabbiesmacker: When did Hanzal move to Chicago from Phoenix?

Ha, Sharp eye! Should be “Handzus”.

As for the rest … I’d be happy with them drafting the next Keith and signing the next Hossa.

34. G Money says:

cabbiesmacker: I bet none of the Blackhawks have even been to Biggar. Rosetown maybe. Kerrobert on a long shot if they like goose hunting.

Brookbank maybe…

35. smellyglove says:

Oilers rank #121/122 in ‘smartest spenders’ category of the big four sports.

Lowe, are you listening?

36. bendelson says:

When is the NHL going to figure out how to effectively use video review?

The referees have lost control of the LA/SJ game and are to blame IMHO.
    They were questionable all game, then blew it completely with the game on the line.

Whoops.

I am bias when it comes to this series, so I’ll ask: Did anyone see that LA goal as good?

37. PunjabiOil says:

Hall has been disappointing. You’re an idiot.
    YOUR an idiot. Perfect

LOL. Literally laughed out loud.

38. Rebilled says:

bendelson,

No good. Pushed in the net.

39. Hammers says:

Lt . Can’t agree on this . If Lander goes so does Pitlick . Lander can play center & both wings and is on the PK . Pitlick is RW and can hit . I don’t disagree some players may go but don’t agree on keeping Pitlick over Lander . Hopefully McT can put some of these guys in trade scenarios but doubt we get 2nd rd picks back .I don’t agree with you on G.M’s cutting players they didn’t draft as that would be dumb on any team . A good G.M. should evaluate what he has on his arrival plus what he brings in and then make his decisions based on performance .Example is a guy like Acton . McT signed him but Lander is the better choice to be an NHL player .

Hammers:

They could both go. I think it’s more likely that Pitlick accepts a two-way deal than Lander, who may do what Hartikainen did one year ago. It’s important to remember that Lander has options in Europe that he may find far more attractive than another year in OKC.

“It’s not anything you can control,” said Lander, who will be a free agent after the season. “Of course, I have my opinion on things when it comes to offers from both here and in Europe, but it’s not anything I’m thinking about right now. I’m looking at the right-here, right-now.”

41. Bar_Qu says:

Not Oilers related, but one of the great play by play guys still left in the game is retiring here in calgary. I don’t know him personally, but everything I’ve heard Peter Maher say tells me he is a genuine, decent guy and I will miss hearing his voice on the radio.

42. Bank Shot says:

Is Pitlick really waiver eligible already?

I cant see him cracking the lineup if the Oilers are serious about trying to win. Maybe if he blows the doors off in the AHL this year he can be used as an injury replacement.