In one of the more bizarre parts of the Oilers 13-14 season, Will Acton made his NHL debut in the shadow of his father. Keith Acton, hired on as an assistant coach, and Will, signed as a free agent, spent much of the season under a cloud because of their association with Dallas Eakins.
Will Acton 13-14
- 5×5 points per 60: 1.64 (5th among regular forwards)
- 5×4 points per 60: nil
- Qual Comp: 13th toughest faced among regular forwards (fourth line)
- Qual Team: 13th best available teammates among regular forwards (fourth line)
- Corsi Rel: -15.5 (14th best, second last, among regular forwards)
- Corsi for 5×5 %: 39.3
- Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -8.0
- Zone Start: 44.2% (7th toughest among regular forwards)
- Zone Finish: 43.7% (12th best among regular forwards)
- Shots on goal/percentage: 18/16.7% (1st among F’s >15 shots)
- Boxcars: 30, 3-2-5
- Plus Minus: -2 on a team that was -51
RE 13-14: 20, 0-3-3 .150
Actual: 30, 3-2-5 .167
- What the HELL was that? Well, the coach trusted him.
- I trust whiskey! We shouldn’t ask it to play center in the NHL! Okay, sure, good point.
- Why did Eakins like him again? Eakins: “One day he asked if he could sit in on the penalty-killing meeting. Before long, he was on the penalty kill. He’s like a smell that just won’t go away.”
- The smell of napalm in the morning. I did mention depth at center as a huge issue before the season.
- Thanks, Nostradamus. Heh. Little doubt Nostradamus would have been an Oiler fan. blogger.
- Anything good in there? It’s all small samples, but I’m not convinced we saw enough of him to say he’s absolutely horrible. Acton scored at 5×5 pretty well. His zone starts were tough and he was heading out there with the evil dead.
- Will we see him again? See him again? He’s SIGNED for next year.
- Sweet Jesus. Sweet Jesus. Where’s the smelling salts. Settle down. He’s a depth guy. This was the player they brought in to cover for the Chris VandeVelde gap. And again, not all bad.
- Where does he sit on the center depth chart? Good choice of words there. He sits behind Nuge, Gagner, Gordon, Arcobello, Lander and ahead of Ewanyk, Khaira, Yakimov etc.
- Who will take his job eventually? Travis Ewanyk.
- Why can’t we have nice things? God gave you women and whiskey. After that, everything looks bad.
- True. Is there any hope? It’s not that bad. If the Oilers can add a real center, a 2line C, at the NHL level then things settle down.
- Okay. Magically I add Hanzal. How do we look? Like ONE MILLION bucks! Nuge, Hanzal, Gordon, Arcobello/Lander in the NHL and then Acton, Khaira, Ewanyk, Yakimov and an AHL veteran in the AHL. THAT would be a terrific addition.
- Acton is going to have a career? Are you smoking the drapes? He’ll have to earn it, and I doubt it. I’m no expert but he did score at a better clip than Jones, Joensuu, Gazdic and the other members of the Flying Circus.
- What about the Corsi? The bleeding Corsi? THINK OF THE BABY CORSI’S!! Will Acton played 181 5×5 minutes in the NHL last season. 96 of them with Luke Gazdic, and 80 of THOSE with Devan Dubnyk.
- Yeah, point made. Thanks.