RE 13-14 WILL ACTON: STARTING A NEW LIFE

In one of the more bizarre parts of the Oilers 13-14 season, Will Acton made his NHL debut in the shadow of his father. Keith Acton, hired on as an assistant coach, and Will, signed as a free agent, spent much of the season under a cloud because of their association with Dallas Eakins.

Will Acton 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.64 (5th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 13th toughest faced among regular forwards (fourth line)
  • Qual Team: 13th best available teammates among regular forwards (fourth line)
  • Corsi Rel: -15.5 (14th best, second last, among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 39.3
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -8.0
  • Zone Start: 44.2% (7th toughest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (12th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 18/16.7% (1st among F’s >15 shots)
  • Boxcars: 30, 3-2-5
  • Plus Minus: -2 on a team that was -51

RE 13-14: 20, 0-3-3 .150

Actual: 30, 3-2-5 .167

1. What the HELL was that? Well, the coach trusted him.
  2. I trust whiskey! We shouldn’t ask it to play center in the NHL! Okay, sure, good point.
  3. Why did Eakins like him again? Eakins: “One day he asked if he could sit in on the penalty-killing meeting. Before long, he was on the penalty kill. He’s like a smell that just won’t go away.”
  4. The smell of napalm in the morning. I did mention depth at center as a huge issue before the season.
  5. Thanks, Nostradamus. Heh. Little doubt Nostradamus would have been an Oiler fan. blogger.
  6. Anything good in there? It’s all small samples, but I’m not convinced we saw enough of him to say he’s absolutely horrible. Acton scored at 5×5 pretty well. His zone starts were tough and he was heading out there with the evil dead.
  7. Will we see him again? See him again? He’s SIGNED for next year.
  8. Sweet Jesus. Sweet Jesus. Where’s the smelling salts. Settle down. He’s a depth guy. This was the player they brought in to cover for the Chris VandeVelde gap. And again, not all bad.
  9. Where does he sit on the center depth chart? Good choice of words there. He sits behind Nuge, Gagner, Gordon, Arcobello, Lander and ahead of Ewanyk, Khaira, Yakimov etc.
  10. Who will take his job eventually? Travis Ewanyk.
  11. Why can’t we have nice things? God gave you women and whiskey. After that, everything looks bad.
  12. True. Is there any hope? It’s not that bad. If the Oilers can add a real center, a 2line C, at the NHL level then things settle down.
  13. Okay. Magically I add Hanzal. How do we look? Like ONE MILLION bucks! Nuge, Hanzal, Gordon, Arcobello/Lander in the NHL and then Acton, Khaira, Ewanyk, Yakimov and an AHL veteran in the AHL. THAT would be a terrific addition.
  14. Acton is going to have a career? Are you smoking the drapes? He’ll have to earn it, and I doubt it. I’m no expert but he did score at a better clip than Jones, Joensuu, Gazdic and the other members of the Flying Circus.
  15. What about the Corsi? The bleeding Corsi? THINK OF THE BABY CORSI’S!! Will Acton played 181 5×5 minutes in the NHL last season. 96 of them with Luke Gazdic, and 80 of THOSE with Devan Dubnyk.
  16. Yeah, point made. Thanks.

53 Responses to "RE 13-14 WILL ACTON: STARTING A NEW LIFE"

1. Marcus Oilerius says:

… Chris VandeVelde spent his time in the AHL, where he belonged.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

2. Halfwise says:

It’s Friday afternoon and time for a drink.

Marcus Oilerius:
    … Chris VandeVelde spent his time in the AHL, where he belonged.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

4. Halfwise says:

Thanks LT, seriously. I don’t know where you get the endurance. I’m wishing for some sort of Fast Forward button for this sad excuse for a hockey team and you keep making Rewind interesting. Considering what you have to work with, that is remarkable

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

now: explain the song.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    now: explain the song.

Well, that’s easy. Dallas Eakins and the Acton gang did the oldest trick in the book: they headed west for land, women and a new life. And robins!

7. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lowetide: VandeVelde played 28 games with the Oilers, over three seasons. Depth guys get called up.

Yeah, it’s a depressing signal of our depth when Acton gets 30 in one season. The worrisome thing for me is that after being force-fed a steady diet of Acton during the 15 games Gagner was out, coaching still found reason to put him out for another 15 after we already had Gagner, Nuge, Gordon, Arcobello and Lander available.

Will Acton

38.8% CF overall

39% with Gazdic

38.7% when away from Gazdic.

He was a smell that just wouldn’t go away.

2 year deal eh?

I trust whiskey! We shouldn’t ask it to play center in the NHL!

Some whisky will have a better CF% than Acton.

More whisky will be on the right side of the puck when they don’t have it than Sam Gagner.

Whisky.

Is there anything it can’t do?

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Whisky.
    Is there anything it can’t do?

End world deliciousness?

11. Hammers says:

Joke but then again Eakins trusted him . Actually Fraser as well . Point is if Eakins think these AHL players are good enough how does he evaluate real NHL players ????

12. Pouzar says:

BLB Samuel Hodhod, (4) (Marc-Olivier Roy, Dominic Talbot-Tassi), 17:11 (PP)

13. sliderule says:

What if Ekblad-Bennett go 1-2?

I think the oiler debate would be between Draisaitl and Dal Colle.

If Dal Colle comes into combine at over 185 and a June 20 birth date the size bias would swing from the German.

sliderule: I think the oiler debate would be between Draisaitl and Dal Colle.

If Dal Colle comes into combine at over 185 and a June 20 birth datethe size bias would swing from the German.

I agree. Dal Colle is still a factor at #3.

15. speeds says:

Lowetide: I agree. Dal Colle is still a factor at #3.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Holmberg scratched again.

If he’s not injured, that’s pretty worrying.

17. book¡je says:

Will Acton was my favorite Acton with the Oilers organization last year.

speeds: I would not write off Nylander either, particularly if he has two more big games at the U-18′s with both MacT and Lowe in attendance.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

book¡je:
    Will Acton was my favorite Acton with the Oilers organization last year.

I liked Action Acton myself.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Yep. Agreed. Especially if the Oilers plan to add a veteran C. Give Nylander some time to develop. I think we could make a case for Nylander as the most offensively talented player in the draft. Ehlers not far behind. Crazy ending to draft season, as always!

I’d love Nylander. But, I just can’t see them drafting him. Too small.

Whomever, should be given time to develop though. That’s would be just peachy.

Ehlers very interesting. One of the Johns really likes him right?

21. steveb12344 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I liked Action Acton myself.

My vote is for ” Fast actin Tim Acton”

steveb12344: My vote is for ” Fast actin Tim Acton”

Actch-shawwwwwn like Alicia Bridges sang it on “I love the Night Llife”

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

maybe we’ll talk ourselves into really liking Will Acton, despite everything. that would be weird, hilarious and plausible.

24. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Will Acton

38.8% CF overall

39% with Gazdic

38.7% when away from Gazdic.

He was a smell that just wouldn’t go away.

2 year deal eh?

I went to G1 for the Oilers. You can imagine my consternation when Eakins kept wasting o-zone draws by throwing Acton et al over the boards when the game was tied.

25. Ryan says:

sliderule: I think the oiler debate would be between Draisaitl and Dal Colle.

I talked to a scout the other day from an EC team who says they think Draiasatl gas a high bust potential. Said he was lazy and slow…

26. hunter1909 says:

No idea about Will Acton aside from his dad’s a coach(ffs please can they do something about this fucking cub scout troop style pee wee coach is the dad thing??).

Right now St Louis needs a patented MPS end to end rush.

27. hunter1909 says:

Imagine if they took Nylander. It would be perfect. It would be perfect for all the wrong reasons, but hey.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan: I talked to a scout the other day from an EC team who says they think Draiasatl gas a high bust potential.Said he was lazy and slow…

I talked to a guy with an orchard out west the other day. he told me Gala isn’t going to cut it this year. Mealy and acidic…

29. hunter1909 says:

Eakins is thinking “Next season, I hope my captain Ference is going to be scoring a few Toews-type winners for us”.

lol

30. flyfish1168 says:

Awesome goal by Jonathan Toews. I believe is the best all around clutch player.

31. russ99 says:

Goal of the year? That was crazy. Great pass.

32. hunter1909 says:

flyfish1168:
    Awesome goal by Jonathan Toews. I believe is the best all around clutch player.

33. flyfish1168 says:

hunter1909: Oilers captain Ference brings a cup winners example to Hall, Schultz etc. According to Kevin Lowe, or MacT depending on the weather Ference is considered pretty clutch himself.

34. icecastles says:

I’ve been trying everywhere to find a feed for the Division A World Championships. Ukraine plays their last game tonight (4:30am Alberta time) and I want to wake up to watch it, but the usual sources (Chanfeed; Feed2All) aren’t showing any broadcasts. Anyone know of anywhere else I might luck out and find a stream?

35. One-Timer says:

Wily vet move by Horcs to get the Stars back into it. Is it for sure that we couldn’t’ve had both him and Gordon down the middle this year? It’s just a gigantic black hole right now.

36. Colieo87 says:

icecastles,

Hey check out this link at the time of the game you might have some luck and stream it is for free

Ever hear of ustream?

37. Hammers says:

Trade the pick or miss another year of playoffs .

38. hunter1909 says:

flyfish1168: No intent to argue your point about Ference. I just posted due to Toews awesome clutch O/T goal which is his 8th game winning playoff goal. Didn’t know you just posted about how clutch Ference is.

You’re right about Toews, who imo is the best player in the world.

39. hunter1909 says:

Hammers:
    Trade the pick or miss another year of playoffs .

After EIGHT seasons out of playoffs, and with McDavid available, plus the fact Dallas Eakins is 100% going to be fired should they come crashing out of the opening season gate, never mind the awesome 3rd overall pick talent(only a hunch and I’d love to know more, but imo elite players 80% of the time come from the top 5)… either way it turns out it’s going to be meh.

40. hunter1909 says:

MacT is under pressure to do something rash. This summer will be his defining moment.

So far he talks the talk.

41. One-Timer says:

Hammers,

There’s no playoffs next year. We need a top C and top D (for starters) to get to the dance, and they won’t both appear without giving up way too much. Unless of course Paul “Primerib” Stastny magically decides to play in E-town.

Quack Attack. And Timmy Thomas back between the pipes! But I think it’s still a 7-game series.

Edit: Make that “Ribeye” Stastny. I think it’s more expensive than primerib.

42. Ducey says:

One-Timer:
    Wily vet move by Horcs to get the Stars back into it.Is it for sure that we couldn’t’ve had both him and Gordon down the middle this year?It’s just a gigantic black hole right now.

Did we really miss his 20 pts in 77 games this year?

43. Ca$h-Money! says:

sliderule,

You honestly think they would pass on Reinhart? I mean I know he’s similar to Nuge, but he’s also very arguably the best overall player in the draft… maybe by a decent margin. Ask the Calgary Hitmen. We take Reinhart simply because we don’t want Calgary to take him.

44. dawgtoy says:

Latest from Kyle Woodlief @ RLR.

Can’t believe I could sign in, bless the hockey Gords.

Ducey: Did we really miss his 20 pts in 77 games this year?

Given that Smyth and Acton played C on the Oilers the answer has to be “Yes”

46. icecastles says:

Colieo87:
    icecastles,

Ever hear of ustream?

thanks, Colie! Yup, familiar with UStream but no luck there. Have to watch the Youtube highlights. The good news… Ukraine whooped Korea 8-2!

Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 1m
    In 5 playoff games with the Bakersfield Condors, #Oilers goalie prospect Laurent Brossoit has a 1.32 GAA & .954 save %.

Good to hear

48. flyfish1168 says:

hunter1909: You’re right about Toews, who imo is the best player in the world.

I agree with you. He does everything well. He may not be the best at the ofensive zone compared to Crosby but he will beat you in the other 2 zones and PK, F/O and clutch goals. All this adds up to 2 cups and a new name Capt. Clutch.

49. Ca$h-Money! says:

flyfish1168,

As Gregor rightly pointed out on his radio show, Toews has 2 cups, Crosby has 1 cup and 1 game 7 SCF loss. Toews has average playoff save percentage of around 0.92, Crosby has average of around 0.88.

50. 106 and 106 says:

I trusted you, mud.

51. gcw_rocks says:

What does Dubnyk have to do with Acton bleeding shots? Gazdic I understand, but Dubnyk?

52. Pajamah says:

Ducey,

That comment right there is what is wrong with cherry picking stats to make a bad argument.

His points should have never been a concern. Lowe offers him 3.5 instead of 5.5 and no one EVER bitches about his production.

Except Dee Ess Eff