SPEZZA?

I’m watching the Sens-Pens game, and the pre-show included a lot of chatter about Jason Spezza. He’s apparently going to be shopped, and I’m wondering about the Oilers as an option. There’s been smoke in this regard before, what do you think?

JASON SPEZZA PLAYER CARD

spezza es

He makes $7 million next season and is a free agent summer 2015. Interested? What would the price be for him? At 30, how many years are left? I think this is the kind of deal Edmonton would need to make—it’s unlikely Paul Stastny signs here—if they want a big time center.

I’d rather see them trade for two-way center Josh Bailey. Thoughts?

149 Responses to "SPEZZA?"

1. book¡je says:

I bet if you put Spezza on Hemsky’s line they would really click!

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It would be really weird if next season Spezza started as an Oiler and Hemsky as a Sen.

I don’t mind Spezza as a target. But I wonder about re-signing, his ability to sustain and his back (that’s a particular injury and he’s struggled with it for a long time).

If I’m going for a big trade, I’d go for the following first in no particular order: ROR, Cooter, Bailey, Nelson, Dubinsky, Anisimov

But, if we end up with Spezza… hell that’s a clear upgrade, you can’t argue against that.

3. BrazilianOil says:

The 3 ov pick for spezza and lazrar?

4. One-Timer says:

Chasing Spezza = Heatley whalehunt redux

5. icecastles says:

One-Timer: Chasing Spezza = Heatley whalehunt redux

What are your reasons for this, beyond the fact that they are both star players from the Ottawa Senators? I see very little overlap.

Among other things, Spezza would be a trade target; Heatley was a free agent.

We talked about Spezza back in May 2010, WG was trying to trade Hemsky (no he wasn’t).

7. stevezie says:

I think what I’ve always thought: Spezza is an excellent comp for Hemsky. So I’m on board.

Really, the important thing here is Rom’s point that ” that’s a clear upgrade, you can’t argue against that.” To me, the most important thing is a significant upgrade at center. There have been a number of names thrown out. It’s hard to debate the difference between them without knowing what each will cost. I think I speak for everyone when I say I vote for obtaining the guy who, when balanced against the assets it takes to acquire him, leaves the team in the best shape.

All things being equal, I want Cooter. All things are not equal, however, and never have been.

Just get somebody. My ability to debate the minutia of hypothetical is broken. I can’t do it. I no longer care who it is- just get somebody good. Spezza qualifies.

8. One-Timer says:

icecastles,

You know, I read that too fast and didn’t absorb the “2015″ part. In that case (the actual case), will this star, who had a good sniff of the cup without winning it, want to sign a mid- to late-career contract here next summer? How much of our assets would you give up for possibly just one year of Spezza?

9. icecastles says:

I forgot how much better the new site looks, wow.

Interesting that none of the Oilers named in that article are Oilers anymore, plus HBomb’s comment,

“The idea of a Hall-Spezza-Hemsky, MPS-Gagner-Eberle top six is intriguing, without question. As such, I’d consider the deal if it could be done for Horcoff plus Cogliano. However, in all honesty, I’m lukewarm at best of Spezza and would rather draft Seguin and go forward with a younger (and cheaper) stable of kids (Seguin, Gagner, MPS, Eberle) supplemented by three quality veterans (Hemsky, Penner, and Horcoff) over the next three seasons.”

How dramatically times have changed… by which I of course mean, whatever happened to HBomb?

Edit: What a time warp reading that comment thread. Bookjie used to be so cheerful. And I’d honestly forgotten the depth of Traktor’s hatred for Horcoff.

10. Ryan says:

Obviously, the $10 million dollar question is Spezza’s back vs the Western Conference teams.

If the Oilers trust their doctors, then it depends on the price.

Me? I’d prefer to see if a Staal shakes loose from Carolina or a ROR from Colorado.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hahaha…

man I would have loved it here back then.

12. theres oil in virginia says:

icecastles: Among other things, Spezza would be a trade target; Heatley was a free agent.

A free agent who refused to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton?

13. Ryan says:

icecastles: I forgot how much better the new site looks, wow.

Yeah, I couldn’t belie you were picking fights with Bookjie, recently.

He used to be the most upbeat fan at this blog. But, 8 years out of the dance will wear on all of us.

14. Rod from Viking says:

icecastles,

I don’t think Heatley was a free agent, he was early in his big long term deal.

15. One-Timer says:

theres oil in virginia: A free agent who refused to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton?

Now I demand an apology! Just kidding.

By the way LT, your site kicks arse. When I occasionally look at some other Oiler blogs, it’s like walking out of a lecture theater and into a junior high class, complete with spitballs and paper airplanes.
    Thanks a million for running this.

16. stevezie says:

icecastles: whatever happened to HBomb

If you miss him, @hbomb1982

(Hbomb, if you’re reading this, that wasn’t a secret, was it? Why would you want to keep that a secret? Look, don’t be such a baby. It’s just more followers, right? Isn’t that half the point?)

17. icecastles says:

One-Timer: How much of our assets would you give up for possibly just one year of Spezza?

As to what I’d be willing to give up for him? That’s more difficult. Gagner and one of the promising D could maybe do it, but I doubt it. Unfortunately the Oilers are still some distance from being able to deal from a position of strength on most trades, which means it will be difficult to upgrade the team without simultaneously damaging it at another position.

For this reason, I think it may be a good time to start considering a bit of whale hunting on the FA market. The Oilers have cap space to get away with an overpay or two, and if significant trades are hard to swing and prospects aren’t ready, it’s really the only viable option if we’re talking about seriously building the team’s quality and depth rather than just shuffling deck chairs.

18. icecastles says:

Ryan: Yeah, I couldn’t belie you were picking fights with Bookjie, recently.

Rod from Viking: I don’t think Heatley was a free agent, he was early in his big long term deal.

Damnit, that’s right. I misremembered. Sorry, One-timer.

19. Ryan says:

Wow, non of my handles were in on that thread.

Btw,you just blew my mind because I always thought Woodguy came after the era of Dellow, Traktor, and the old timey greats here.

20. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis: man I would have loved it here back then.

—-

It’s shocking to me how long some of you have known each other through a webpage. Shocking in a beautiful way.

When I was a much younger man, some of my best friends were screen names on rollingstone.com’s Pearl Jam message board. Wonder what happened to those fools?

Connections, man. Neat.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: He’s on twitter, and seems to prefer sounding off on there. (I’m starting to feel the same, even though everyone ignores everyone else)

If you miss him, @hbomb1982

thanks. followed.

speaking of twitter… if I haven’t run into any of you folks yet hit me with your handle.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: Back when there was hope? Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing.

Oh. I was watching the games… Just not yakking on the intertubes.

23. Ryan says:

icecastles: He’s just become so damn cynical: kind of swung from one extreme to the other. It tears me up inside.

Damnit, that’s right. I misremembered. Sorry, One-timer.

Hey kid, this is how it played out….

2009 I occasionally posted well-thought out comments / ideas. Learned my Btn and other stats.
    Along the way, I came to admire the traitors and even DSF contrarians who stimulated discussion .
    2013 – type whatever’s on my mind….
    Sorry Lt. :).

Best Oilers blog ever btw!

24. Marcus Oilerius says:

The big complaint about Spezza these days is that he doesn’t defend well and is slow. If was the price was reasonable, like a 3rd round pick, I’d take him for the year and see how added centre depth improves us, but I think playoff teams looking for offensive punch are going to beat our offer a fair bit. Chicago, Philly, and New York would be my guesses as to his destination.

25. icecastles says:

Ryan,

What handle(s) did you post under before? You mentioned you’d had a few.

26. frjohnk says:

With Spezza’s age and contract status he is the type of player in which a contending team should be looking at. Not sure what Ottawa would want for him, but I’m guessing something along the lines like a forward prospect, lets say Moroz and a D man, lets say Musil and probably a draft pick. Not saying that is what he is worth, just throwing names out there. he probably gets Ottawa three good pieces. Using assets to get possibly only one year out of him would be a misuse of assets especially since we are still closer to scorched earth rebuild than we contending for the Cup.

If we were contending and needed a center, then yeah, but not in our position.

27. nycoil says:

YES! I’ve been banging the drum on this one all week:

NYCOIL says:
    April 9, 2014 at 8:34 pm
    I have had this sneaking suspicion a big summer deal is coming. I think the tires have been kicked at the deadline and we will see a move for immediate help at the draft coming.
    Agree with composite guy that Gagner alone at this point may not fetch Bailey. With apologies to Hemmer, if the rumours out of Ottawa are true, would you give up Gagner and a D prospect (push for Musil rather than Klef/Marincin) and a 1st (prefer next year obviously despite it beinga deeper draft) for Spezza? RNH-Hall-Eberle / spezza-perron-yak top two lines. If we can make it a ’15 first then we can still get an ekblad or draisaitl. Sign both Niskanen and Markov and things look a lot better, no?
    I prefer that over the bigger deal I fear may have been discussed with Nashville, who may want a quick rebuild with a king’s ransom for Weber and a future top pair of Jones-Ekblad and more.

NYCOIL says:
    April 10, 2014 at 4:49 pm
    To those saying no chance of playoffs next year, I respectfully disagree. I was one of the pessimists last offseason. Didn’t think MacT had done nearly enough to address the holes on D or in net. I think this summer could potentially fill those holes.
    Goalers are sorted. Solid tandem.
    Add two top 4 D via UFA overpay: Markov 3x $6m and Niskanen 4 x $5.5m.
    Draft Draisaitl and make him 4C
    Parlay Gagner and prospect or 2015 pick for a stronger 2-way 2C. Do I think Gagner has peaked? No. Could he become a 65pt C? Yes. But 7 years in we can project his upside. Blame Kassian or being rushed to the NHL or whatever but he isn’t going to be a defensively responsible 65pt centre. He may be a 40pt C with acceptable defensive play or a 70pt man in a soft minutes parade with two skilled wingers and sea-gulling and defensive fly-bys. If we can package him for an older player still with years left to play at this stage I think you do it. Gagner, Musil, 2015 1st and Ottawa’s 2015 3rd back for Spezza? Would love Couturier somehow but think that’s a pipe dream.
    Sign some undervalued vets with strong possession numbers to fill out the bottom six.
    Panacea line
    Spezza-Perron-Yak
    Gordon-Hendricks-Pouliot
    Draisaitl-Lander-Larsen/Gazdic
    Markov-Petry
    Niskanen-Marincin
    Ference-Schultz
    Fasth/Scrivens
    Remember the wild card is all we need. Can we knock off Phoenix or Dallas with that? I think so!
    Is dealing the ’15 pick a gamble? Yes…but if MacT knows he almost all but has locked up two legit dmen he can pull the trigger on the deal then.
    Feel free to change the names of targets as you see fit but as much as the holes are glaring there aren’t so many of them you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

28. fifthcartel says:

Spezza would go a long ways for center depth.

Also, with Benn scratched for rest Hall will finish #1 in LW points.

29. One-Timer says:

icecastles: If he’s not likely to resign, then you have a viable trading piece at the next deadline to continue to upgrade the roster. Which could be win-win. I’m not sure the Oilers would be willing to commit to the term and dollar figures that Spezza will likely command on his next contract.

I’m on board with all that, if the price isn’t debilitating. Contenders would be falling over each other to pick up someone like Spezza for the playoffs, even though it would mean picks and not pieces at the 2015 deadline. But that’s useful currency.

No apologies needed — I was also thinking Heatley was an UFA! lol

When did Jason Spezza become a top 4 RD?

The Oilers don’t exactly have many tradeable assets or room to re-sign an expensive 30-something forward who will be declining just as the Oilers hope to be contending.

The available cap space and remaining tradeable assets have to be focused on acquiring a legit top 4 RD.

This expensive centre talk is foolishness IMHO, when the solution at centre in the contending window is sitting there on the draft board.

31. Ryan says:

icecastles:
    Ryan,

What handle(s) did you post under before? You mentioned you’d had a few.

Mostly hockey_noob. Lol.

I used to write an Oilers blog, called low on oil. It was then on the Bloguin network with the Pens Blog at the time.

32. icecastles says:

frjohnk: If we were contending and needed a center, then yeah, but not in our position.

33. One-Timer says:

Ryan,

Looks like I’m following a similar Lowetide career path. Nice.

34. Ryan says:

Ryan: Mostly hockey_noob. Lol.

I used to write an Oilers blog, called low on oil.It was then on the Bloguin network with the Pens Blog at the time.

Back in the day,,, now celebs like the royal half used to comment at my blog…

35. stevezie says:

icecastles: Gagner and one of the promising D could maybe do it, but I doubt it.

That’s the price we can afford to pay. Even if he leaves next year for nothing, it might still be worth it to move Gagner. Ottawa, on the other hand, gets cap space and a long-term piece in exchange for an expiring asset.

If they don’t go for that price, I don’t think the deal makes sense for us. There are other options.

icecastles: For this reason, I think it may be a good time to start considering a bit of whale hunting on the FA market.

Fully agree. It’s time to suck less.

36. Ryan says:

One-Timer:
    Ryan,

Looks like I’m following a similar Lowetide career path.Nice.

It’s a common trajectory lol bro. :)

37. stevezie says:

godot10: When did Jason Spezza become a top 4 RD?

Don’t we need both? Even if you think the first 20 games of Arcobello is the real, permanent Arcobello, the team would still need to be stronger at center, no? And I’m not willing to bet on that premise.

Yes we need the D, and we also need the C. I’m not turning down a chance to get either. No bad improvement. (You can argue that recent sucking has hindered my “big picture” vision. It has. )

38. icecastles says:

One-Timer: Looks like I’m following a similar Lowetide career path. Nice.

Pas moi. Fortunately for me, I’ve never had anything intelligent to say.

39. Ryan says:

icecastles: Pas moi. Fortunately for me, I’ve never had anything intelligent to say.

Haha, it’s hard to put things into context now… Things that we take for granted now, were foreign concepts back then. Lowetide educated a generation and then some…

I.e when I first came here in 2008 and lowetide was talking about Btn stats, it was a brave new world for me as a hockey fan,

40. Ryan says:

Haha, lowetide’s still the pied piper as evidenced by his recent RE series for Hall. He still keeps finding a way to keep me caring about a team I should have stopped thinking about long ago.

41. hunter1909 says:

Ryan: 2008… Lowetide blog lurker. So many smart posters it was intimidating to say anything here.

Robbie Schremp worked wonders.

Marcus Oilerius: The big complaint about Spezza these days is that he doesn’t defend well and is slow.

You don’t expect MacT to stand pat do you?

frjohnk: Not sure what Ottawa would want for him, but I’m guessing something along the lines like a forward prospect, lets say Moroz and a D man

Nice. Moroz looks like a bonafide NHL prospect with toughness and skating combined; so they trade him LMAO.

nycoil: I mentioned in a prior thread that the Isles’ potential ownership change makes it difficult to send Gagner and his contract there, but if money is coming back then that makes it easier. Bailey may be a nice buy low candidate in the Okposo two years ago pattern.

HUNTER1909 PREDICTION: Yakupov goes to NYI and scores 400 goals as the first NY Russian superstar…oilers meanwhile yakk up the wonderful assortment of grinders they receive.

icecastles: Spezza makes this team better.

So did Hemsky.

Was busy enjoying a spot of galley work, and missed the past two oilfests. Glad to see everyone so positive.

42. Lois Lowe says:

stevezie:

I have some friends that go back to 2000 from a Toronto electronic music board. Actually, most of my friends are from there but many have since left the Big Smoke. I like internet connections and have no issues meeting someone in real life after knowing them only from the interwebs.

The only person that posts here that I know off-board is my brother. I won’t out him, but he’s a pretty sharp fellow.

43. hunter1909 says:

Lois Lowe: The only person that posts here that I know off-board is my brother.

Thanks, sis.

44. LMHF#1 says:

Why not acquire Spezza and Bailey? They need at least 2 C.

45. LMHF#1 says:

speeds:
    I think it’s unlikely the price to acquire him would be reasonable given where EDM is on the development cycle.

You mean the Thrashers model?

It’s time to short-circuit.

46. speeds says:

Ryan: Hey kid, this is how it played out….

2008… Lowetide blog lurker.So many smart posters it was intimidating to say anything here.
    2009 I occasionally posted well-thought out comments / ideas.Learned my Btn and other stats.
    2013 – type whatever’s on my mind….
    Sorry Lt. :).

Best Oilers blog ever btw!

That was close to my timeline too.

I think my first post was in 2009 or so.

My first posts were not well thought out and about as deep as my bathtub.

Not too dissimilar to my posts today.

Hbomb would put a drink recipe that was appropriate for the game in the GDT.

Active on twitter and still posts here occasionally.

I wouldn’t trade for Spezza.

One year left isn’t enough value.

I still like the player, but wouldn’t want to give up much for only one year of him.

Certainly not the 1st rounder.

49. icecastles says:

hunter1909: icecastles: Spezza makes this team better.
    So did Hemsky.

So your argument is that the Oilers traded away a good player, so they should never trade for a good player again?

50. John Chambers says:

Spezza -bad idea. Overpay for Stastny – bad idea. Start rookie C as 2nd line C – bad idea. Gagner – what do you think?

Either trade for a quality young 2-way C like Hanzal, Couturier, or Anisimov, or try and sign Grabbo for 2 or 3 until Ze German ripens.

The dollars are scarce – they need to be allocated to a veteran D. The team simply can’t afford ALL the kids, AND luxuries like Stastny or Spezza, and Markov, and depth in the bottom-6.

51. speeds says:

LMHF#1,

For a guy with 1 year left on his deal? A guy with some injury history, and on the wrong side of 30 even if you convince him to sign an extension?

Yes, improving next year should be very important, but not at any cost; find another way to do it if the price is prohibitive.

52. icecastles says:

Lois Lowe: I have some friends that go back to 2000 from a Toronto electronic music board.

Heeeey that wasn’t cichlisuite was it?

I see I was arguing about the Oiler players playing above their established NHL level.

Glad to see they addressed that in the last 4 years.

bookiethingy!

54. frjohnk says:

icecastles: This is going to sound more snarky than I intend it, but how precisely do you propose to become a contender if not by upgrading the roster? Barring having to send too much the other way, Spezza makes this team better.

No worries. I believe those assets would be better served on someone who has better term. But I guess if we were to draft a center, let’s say Bennett, Spezza would be a good stop gap player till Bennett would come into the league a year after.

Spezza would be an upgrade at 2nd line center ice and would make us better. Being right handed with great vision would definitely help Yak unload bombs.

Maybe not so bad after all. Price would have to be right.

I would trade Gagner for Spezza in a heartbeat though.

56. "Steve Smith" says:

The guy I miss from that old thread is Schizo – solid poster, that guy. And FPB, to a point (I never understood why people always called him “FPV”, but I’m sure it was some joke I was missing).

I guess I’ve been around longer than most, but I’ve compensated by contributing very little. To the extent that I post much, it’s Lowetide’s fault, because of this. That thread’s also got some memories, incidentally, including some career counselling to me from Chris, who I also miss, now that I’m reminded of his existence.

I don’t know anybody who posts here in real life, though I’ve met WoodGuy and PDO. Closest I’d come would be a guy named Mustafa, who used to post here very sporadically many years ago. And my sister, The Prez, of “Unofficial Igor Ulanov Fan Club” and “Hot Oil”, fame, though I don’t believe she ever commented here much.

A few weeks ago, in the courthouse cafeteria, another defence lawyer, whom I know only very slightly, sat down at my table and said “Hey, I’ve got a question for you: are you an Oilers fan?” I acknowledged that I was, not sure where this was going. “Do you read Lowetide?” he asked. So yeah, my work here apparently make me a subject of more interest to the defence bar than do my vast contributions to Canadian criminal law. Oh well.

Anyway, the point of all of this, to the extent that it exists, is that I love this blog, and will love it all the more once the Oilers become worth following in their own right, and not just as a necessary evil to understand what people are talking about around here.

57. Ryan says:

Woodguy: That was close to my timeline too.

I think my first post was in 2009 or so.

My first posts were not well thought out and about as deep as my bathtub.

Not too dissimilar to my posts today.

Hbomb would put a drink recipe that was appropriate for the game in the GDT.

Active on twitter and still posts here occasionally.

Haha, I’d like to buy you a beer and chat one of these days.

I wonder if it would boggle Lowetide’s mind what his followers do for a living?

We already know we could assemble a legal dream team at a moments notice…

58. icecastles says:

frjohnk,

Yeah. The contract length is definitely the sticking point; though we’re all assuming he wouldn’t re-sign here.

In theory if he had played a year in Edmonton and seen how welcoming and supportive the local fanbase is, what a dynamic city Edmonton is and how the team’s future is so bright… fuck. Yeah, he won’t sign here.

Ryan: Haha, I’d like to buy you a beer and chat one of these days.

I wonder if it would boggle Lowetide’s mind what his followers do for a living?

We already know we could assemble a legal dream team at a moments notice…

Sure, I like beer.

Are you on twitter? DMs on there are easiest ways to set this stuff up.

I sell wood.

60. icecastles says:

"Steve Smith": I guess I’ve been around longer than most, but I’ve compensated by contributing very little. To the extent that I post much, it’s Lowetide’s fault, because of this.

Though I didn’t comment that day, I remember that post!Love the opening lines:

Word tonight from multiple sources: Dany Heatley is an Edmonton Oiler. Senators get three NHL players in return: Andrew Cogliano, a very good young player; Dustin Penner, an inconsistent winger who does bring some things; Ladislav Smid, a young defender who has been developing at the NHL level. A lot of young talent heading the other way.
    Steve Tambellini puts his stamp on the Oilers tonight…

You know in retrospect, Tambo really did put his stamp on the team with that deal. Though not in a way we would have anticipated. The grand champion of inaction…

61. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Sure, I like beer.

Are you on twitter?DMs on there are easiest ways to set this stuff up.

I sell wood.

We’ve agreed and disagreed on various oilers discussions, I’ll send you a dm from my twitter account .

62. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:
    I would trade Gagner for Spezza in a heartbeat though.

Yup. Whoever the oilers get for 2nd line center, I’d love for them to get someone who is good in the dot to help out Gordon.
    Spezza the last 4 years in the dot. 56%, 54%, 57%, 54% this year.

63. sliderule says:

"Steve Smith",

I looked at that old thread and someone wanted to trade Cogliano and Brez for Malhottra and someone else.

This is the problem the oilers have.Lowe and his cohorts and fans tire of players and give them away.

64. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Sure, I like beer.

Are you on twitter?DMs on there are easiest ways to set this stuff up.

I sell wood.

Alright. I just @ connected you on twitter offering to buy you a beer next weekend on twitter.

My twitter is my real name, appreciate if you keep it between us.

65. LMHF#1 says:

speeds:
    LMHF#1,

For a guy with 1 year left on his deal?A guy with some injury history, and on the wrong side of 30 even if you convince him to sign an extension?

Always at the proper price.

66. mps91 says:

Yes, but one small issue– Spezza has a NTC.

If the interest of a couple western powerhouses (Ducks, Blues) being interested in him are true, no way he accepts a trade here.

67. striatic says:

I think the Oilers sign Jagr for a year.

Maybe Jagr signs here because he knows the Oilers have no shot at the post-season, which is perfect for avoiding the situation he ended up in this season – signing with a bubble team and then not getting traded at the deadline to a contender because of that team still thinking they had a shot.

What Jagr needs is a terrible team like the Oilers, with no chance at a playoff berth, to get the biggest overpay possible and then arrange a deadline move to one of the best teams in the league.

Jagr signing with the Oilers = $$$ + shot at the Cup for Jagr

68. "Steve Smith" says:

icecastles,

And Fever4flames (remember that guy?) correctly predicting that the Heatley trade wouldn’t happen. That stings a little, even all these years later.

Edit: Oh wow, he’s been active on Twitter as recently as last off-season. I initially assumed that it was a parody account, since it includes his immortal “endearing legacy of the Calgary Flames” line, but it looks pretty legitimate.

69. icecastles says:

"Steve Smith",

Holy crap. You and Shepso are still following “I’m Fairly Indifferent Toward Belgium.”

I forgot that even existed.

We’ve been at this far too long.

70. Ryan says:

icecastles:
    “Steve Smith”,

I forgot that even existed.

We’ve been at this far too long.

Wow, that’s a blurry flashback!

Steve Smith: It’s still true. Some people are just funny.

I’ve actually developed some friendships out of this blog, which is kind of strange because I’m not really a easy person to be friends with (my choice). But the people I’ve had a chance to interact with are really wonderful.

I have a friend who KNOWS someone who posts here, and tells me flat out hilarious stories about him.

Or her!

72. Ryan says:

Steve Smith: It’s still true. Some people are just funny.

Or her!

I have more than a few friends who post here in real life.

Dammit, now Woodguy knows who I really am.

73. "Steve Smith" says:

icecastles,

That and “Hi, Art!” are the only two real contributions I’ve made to the Oilogosphere. It is perhaps fitting that neither has anything substantive to do with hockey.

(You may have forgotten that your blog existed, Icecastles, but I – and, I’m sure, Shepso – log on to the internet every morning hoping for updates. That blog showed so much promise!)

74. nycoil says:

striatic:
    I think the Oilers sign Jagr for a year.

Jagr has indicated he wants to re-up in New Jersey:

Everyone arguing against overpaying for Spezza, Stastny, etc., I do understand where you are coming from. But I think this team is at the stage where some strong veterans in key roles are required and progress has to be made before Hall gets fed up and asks out.

Spezza’s window as a premier player may be further along than is ideal, but he would make an immediate impact starting next year. Would Stastny require only money to sign? Yes, but he has made comments about how he likes it in Colorado, even hinting at a hometown discount to stay. Can the Oilers throw enough money at him to get him to leave? Maybe. I like Stastny, too.

RNH-Hall-Eberle is a capable top line.
    Spezza-Perron-Yakupov is likely going to be able to hold its head above water a lot better than Gagner-Perron-Yak.

Then add your Winnik, Moss, Pouliot types for the bottom six.

I’d keep the 2014 pick and take Bennett or Draisaitl (assuming Reinhart, Ekblad will be gone).

If giving up the 2015 first is too much for Spezza alone, why don’t we try to get that blue bubble guy known as Marc Methot, too? Gagner, 2015 1st, Musil/Gernat for Spezza and Methot.

Now sign only one of Markov/Hainsey/Niskanen

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Spezza-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Pouliot-Winnik
    Arcobello-Hendricks-Lander/Gazdic

Methot-Petry
    Niskanen-Marincin
    Ference-Schultz
    Larsen

(Keep Klefbom top pair in OKC playing 25mins a night and have him called up first major injury or after Christmas)

Yes, giving up a potential McDavid is risky but I think/hope/assume the team will be too good for that to be realistic. At some point the team needs to start winning some games, and I think that time is next year.

75. fifthcartel says:

“- Take this to the bank: the Oilers will offer Los Angeles Kings defenceman Matt Greene, a one-time Oiler, a free-agent contract this summer to come back. He’s been marginalized in L.A. now with the much-improved play of Alec Martinez, more of a puck-mover, and quicker. Greene, only 30, is part of their leadership group with Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown and Jarret Stoll, but he’s the No. 7 blueliner there.”

From Matheson

nooooooooo

76. "Steve Smith" says:

“Steve Smith”,

Lord Bob: “The British Empire got most of its colonies on the power play, though.”

Speaking of posters we all miss…

77. icecastles says:

“Steve Smith”: That and “Hi, Art!” are the only two real contributions I’ve made to the Oilogosphere.

It was too excellent a metaphor to not be acknowledged and memorialized.

78. theres oil in virginia says:

icecastles: It was too excellent a metaphor to not be acknowledged and memorialized.

Rob Schremp, passionately indifferent! Very nicely done.

79. "Steve Smith" says:

fifthcartel:

From Matheson

nooooooooo

I second this sentiment. I could live with Matt Greene on the bottom pairing, but we have too many bottom pairing defencemen already. That we’re contemplating getting another one suggests that the plan is to keep playing defencemen above their established ability.

If Greene is a 7 instead of Mark Fraser, I’d be willing to consider it as an upgrade, although that isn’t completely fair since I haven’t seen Greene in a long time and Fraser’s frasering is fresh in my mind.

81. fifthcartel says:

I think we can already start the posts complaining about how bad the Ference-Greene pairing is.

82. "Steve Smith" says:

Since Matheson cites Greene’s status as L.A.’s number seven as a reason that he may be looking to go elsewhere, I think it’s a fair inference that MacT wouldn’t be signing him as a number seven.

83. theres oil in virginia says:

“Steve Smith”: I second this sentiment.I could live with Matt Greene on the bottom pairing, but we have too many bottom pairing defencemen already.That we’re contemplating getting another one suggests that the plan is to keep playing defencemen above their established ability.

You know that’s the plan, whether they get Matt Greene or not. So, might as well get him as he’s better than Fraser. I wonder if Petry survives the offseason, so he can come back and be part of the first pairing with Marincin. I’m not convinced that Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse aren’t all on the big club in the fall. One top-UFA would do wonders for this group, but I don’t think it happens. You can’t dwell at the bottom of the standings and expect UFAs to line up to join. So, I’m getting used to the idea of more youth on blue. I’ll be happy if Nurse returns to Junior, Klefbom and Marincin look ready, but there will be growing pains and there is no shelter.

84. flyfish1168 says:

Spazz is not much of an up grade over Gagner if you factor in their CAP hit. Both weak on the defensive side and both hurt lots. But at least Gagner injuries are not the chronic ones that can flair up without notice. Its better the devil you know than the one you don’t.

85. Ryan says:

Woodguy: That was close to my timeline too.

I think my first post was in 2009 or so.

My first posts were not well thought out and about as deep as my bathtub.

Not too dissimilar to my posts today.

Hbomb would put a drink recipe that was appropriate for the game in the GDT.

Active on twitter and still posts here occasionally.

I’m not even sure that Lowetide himself appreciates the atmosphere at his blog in the early days.

Back in 2008/9, if you didn’t have your game tight, you’d get either ignored or ripped to pieces,

I’m not sure which was worse.

86. Lois Lowe says:

icecastles,

No, it was Tribe.ca. I have since been banned from there and my friends are now all posting on the third iteration of a spinoff board. I miss message boards, I think it’s why I spend so much time here.

87. "Steve Smith" says:

Lois Lowe: I have since been banned from there…

Really? But you’re so pleasant around here. Does electronic music just rouse your dormant asshole more than terrible hockey teams do?

Lois Lowe: That’s what you get for being a Binnie fan.

I kid. I kid.

Wait – have I actually talked about my Binnie love around here (and, if so, why?), or are you stalking me? Or engaging in lucky guesses?

88. jake70 says:

What are Spezza’s numbers against the West teams? That’s my first question.

Off topic, but hosting a pool tomorrow. My wall is full of flip-chart size sheets with all the teams. I just finished St. Louis’ players stats….MPS only has 12 points in 55 games. Man what a steal for Perron so far. (of course a hall of famer will come out of the 2nd rounder we gave them ;-) )

89. stevezie says:

Ryan: I have more than a few friends who post here in real life.

It once turned out that someone I’d known for years was one of you all along- a You’ve Got Mail type situation, but without the true love. I think he or she figured it out first.

That was kind of trippy.

90. Hammers says:

I’m with WG and would trade Gags for Spezza but with no extras . Ottawa gets a younger “C” for less money that seems to be part of there plan and we get a “C” we could hopefully resign . . If not he helps for 1 year and we say bye bye to Gags .

91. "Steve Smith" says:

"Steve Smith": Wait – have I actually talked about my Binnie love around here (and, if so, why?)

Apparently I have. No answer to the parenthetical, as yet.

92. Lois Lowe says:

"Steve Smith": Really?But you’re so pleasant around here.Does electronic music just rouse your dormant asshole more than terrible hockey teams do?

Wait – have I actually talked about my Binnie love around here (and, if so, why?), or are you stalking me?Or engaging in lucky guesses?

That board was a social hub for me and almost everyone I knew during my undergrad/post-undergrad years. It’s something that has introduced me to my longterm partner and many of my closest friends. But like anything that people care about, there was some bullshit with the site owner and moderator (he’s no Lowetide, that’s for sure) so I immolated myself to make a point.

As for Binnie…you have expressed your love of him, likely during your 3L year when you posted a lot more often. I can’t say that I can comment much on him as I really didn’t look very much at criminal law at the Supreme Court during law school, but his opinion paper on the Marc Nadon appointment was clearly very very wrong.

I may yet be a part of the Alberta criminal bar regardless, so I’ll sneakily keep an eye out for you.

93. Chris says:

I like Spezza, I think I’m like most people that I worry about the price point. The Oilers really need to make a couple more moves like Perron and Gordon to shore up the depth on this team. If we can add another three or four quality NHLers this team is in business at contending for a playoff spot.

The only good thing about Matheson saying Greene is on the way, is that Matheson spent 7 years trade Hemsky before it happened and despite all Matheson’s special pleading Drew Stafford remains a member of the Buffalo Sabers.

94. Chris says:

95. "Steve Smith" says:

Lois Lowe: I can’t say that I can comment much on him as I really didn’t look very much at criminal law at the Supreme Court during law school,

His dissent here is outstanding. As a dutiful criminal defence lawyer, I suppose that I substantively prefer the Fish dissent, but Binnie’s is just so powerful. And it’s not just criminal law: this is the kind of thing that can restore your idealism as a lawyer. Overall, he was just a smart, fair-minded, eloquent justice. If you haven’t read this you should.

Well, it’s wrong insofar as the supreme arbiter of Canadian law has declared it to be wrong, but I’m not so certain that his position (as expressed by Moldaver – I haven’t actually read Binnie’s opinion, and I’m not even sure that it’s available to the public) lacks a certain compelling logic. I thought Nadon was a wretched appointment, and politically I was pleased to see the SCC smack Harper about a bit (not least because it re-affirmed the Harper-appointed majority’s willingness to do so, which is essential to the criminal law not evolving in a terrible, terrible direction), but I haven’t yet convinced myself that Nadon was ineligible by a fair reading of the statute.

In any event, the majority on the SCC was able to do so, so I’ll just put the question out of my mind and revel in the result.

96. "Steve Smith" says:

Chris:

I have a language rights-obsessed colleague who agrees with you.

97. Chris says:

"Steve Smith": His dissent here is outstanding.As a dutiful criminal defence lawyer, I suppose that I substantively prefer the Fish dissent, but Binnie’s is just so powerful.And it’s not just criminal law: this is the kind of thing that can restore your idealism as a lawyer.Overall, he was just a smart, fair-minded, eloquent justice.If you haven’t read this you should.

Well, it’s wrong insofar as the supreme arbiter of Canadian law has declared it to be wrong, but I’m not so certain that his position (as expressed by Moldaver – I haven’t actually read Binnie’s opinion, and I’m not even sure that it’s available to the public) lacks a certain compelling logic.I thought Nadon was a wretched appointment, and politically I was pleased to see the SCC smack Harper about a bit (not least because it re-affirmed the Harper-appointed majority’s willingness to do so, which is essential to the criminal law not evolving in a terrible, terrible direction), but I haven’t yet convinced myself that Nadon was ineligible by a fair reading of the statute.

98. book¡je says:

This place has been great. I have friends on here that I have never met. With a busy career and young kids for a few years there, this probably constituted 90% of my interaction with people outside of those two circles (work & family).

I was ‘outed’ recently as I jumped on Twitter with my real name attached and I have had a few people who are like “You’re Bookjie – Ha!”. My worlds have collided.

Now, though, I am torn – when I have a quick quip, do I post it here or on Twitter. My one tweet tonight got 54 retweets – that was kind of exciting…

I think the answer is to simply post more at both places.

99. "Steve Smith" says:

Chris: Yea but how comfortable are you with the SCC declaring the Supreme Court of Canada Act to be a part of the constitution despite there being no apparent basis for this conclusion aside from they said so?

I reject your premise. The amending formula specifies that any change in the composition of the SCC requires the unanimous consent of provinces, which means that the Constitution Act, 1982 was clearly bestowing on the SCC some sort of constitutional status, which it had hitherto lacked. Exactly what that status was is open to some debate, but I don’t see the SCC’s conclusion on this point as unreasonable.

100. Chris says:

“Steve Smith”: I reject your premise.The amending formula specifies that any change in the composition of the SCCrequires the unanimous consent of provinces, which means that the Constitution Act, 1982 was clearly bestowing on the SCC some sort of constitutional status, which it had hitherto lacked.Exactly what that status was is open to some debate, but I don’t see the SCC’s conclusion on this point as unreasonable.

Nothing about clarifying the wording of the qualifications of a Quebec justice would have altered the composition of the court so that was clearly non-applicable.

101. book¡je says:

102. "Steve Smith" says:

Chris,

If the amendments changed the eligibility criteria for Quebec justices – as the majority found that they did – that could easily constitute a change to the composition of the SCC. It would be going from a court that included at least three justices meeting criteria X to a court that included at least three justices meeting criteria Y.

103. icecastles says:

book¡je: I am pretty sure that I have been posting here since 2008, but it could be 2007 – its a blur.

I think 2007 because I started coming here in the fall of ’06 and posting in January ’08, and I’d been reading your posts before I began posting.

book¡je: I just read through the comments – for the record, I am done my bitter period – I honestly think the Oilers make the playoffs next year!

You just made my day! Welcome back, Happy Bookjie!

I screenshotted that post. I’m going to link to it every time you get bitter next season, along with a picture of a kitten. And I should warn you: I have a LOT of pictures of kittens. (yeah, I pretty much gave up trying to put on a manly front once I admitted I love Lady Gaga. I’m cool with it.)

104. icecastles says:

Chris: If we’re playing favourite SCC judges I always felt Bastarache deserved more love.

Would you call him a Magnificent Bastarche?

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On Greene… be very careful with Matty these days.

He harped on Deryk Engelland four times in the span of a month this past october only taking breaks to mention Greene and a few other louts.

So… maybe it’s true, but who the hell knows. I imagine both Engelland and Greene would have been available this year if MacT wanted them… he went for the cheaper version in Fraser… not that that inspires any real hope.

Build from the top damnit. build from the top.

106. Caramel Obvious says:

"Steve Smith",

And yet the decision by the supreme court on this matter was so terrible that it undermines their credibility. It’s like the 13th hour, it undermines your belief in the 12 that came before it.

Your post exudes a naive faith in the rationality of the profession. The decision was absurd on its face and every bit as political as the Nadon appointment.

The Supreme Court has become a political institution with its own agenda that is increasingly divorced from any rational standard other than power.

107. "Steve Smith" says:

Caramel Obvious:
    “Steve Smith”, Your post exudes a naive faith in the rationality of the profession.The decision was absurd on its face and every bit as political as the Nadon appointment.

You realize that my post was disagreeing with the majority, right?

108. bendelson says:

Ryan: I have more than a few friends who post here in real life.

Interesting.
    I have more than a few imaginary friends who post here in real life.

109. icecastles says:

bendelson: Interesting.
    I have more than a few imaginary friends who post here in real life.

I’ve met you, Bendelson.
    But you’ve never met me.
    Look behind you.

110. "Steve Smith" says:

bendelson,

Shut the fuck up, Bendelson.

Its an upgrade like getting hit in the forehead repeated with a hammer is an upgrade from getting hit repeatedly in the forehead with an anvil.

If MacT aims that low then the playoffs will be nothing but a Bettman point induced mirage where they have no real and actual chance of getting there.

112. Caramel Obvious says:

Woodguy:
    I wouldn’t trade for Spezza.

One year left isn’t enough value.

Certainly not the 1st rounder.

This is obviously the right viewpoint.

Either Spezza is declining or he isn’t. If he is declining you don’t want to pay too much for him. If he isn’t you only get him for one year and you still don’t want to pay too much for him.

113. icecastles says:

Well, this is by far the most we’ve waxed nostalgic on here in a while.

Coincidence that it’s the day after Smytty’s retirement?

114. Caramel Obvious says:

“Steve Smith”: You realize that my post was disagreeing with the majority, right?

In spirit. But you ended with if it is good enough for the Supreme Court it is good enough for me.

But yeah, I was a little harsh and jumped the gun to pursue my own agenda. I should be a Supreme Court judge.

116. "Steve Smith" says:

Caramel Obvious: In spirit.But you ended with if it is good enough for the Supreme Court it is good enough for me.

I thought I was being transparently unprincipled with that closing: I was saying that I liked the result, so I wasn’t going to look too hard at the reasoning.

icecastles:
    Well, this is by far the most we’ve waxed nostalgic on here in a while.

Coincidence that it’s the day after Smytty’s retirement?

I’ve never really been right since Poo.

118. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: “naive faith in the rationality of the profession” while also disagreeing? I don’t know what to say. IS there some kind of picture book we can find? “Where’s the Frog?” but for lawyers?

119. icecastles says:

Caramel Obvious: There is no possible scenario where it works out unless it’s a firesale. Trading the first round pick for him would be incredibly bad. Trading Gagner would be fine.

You begin by agreeing you would not trade for Spezza, but conclude by saying you would if the price were right (i.e.: a firesale).

So really, I think yore onside with most of us in that the debate isn’t so much wether we would want him on the team, but what it’s worth to get him, with the caveat that the asking price is more than likely going to be more than we would want to pay.

120. icecastles says:

Lowetide: I’ve never really been right since Poo.

Prunes to speed it up, fiber to slow it down.
    Don’t feel bad though; it’s not uncommon among the older set.

Edit: Comments like this are probably why Lowetide hates me and thinks I am, in the words of my colleagues, an argumentative shit-distruber.

121. "Steve Smith" says:

icecastles: …fiber to slow it down.

In the name of all that is holy, I hope that you’re not a doctor.

122. icecastles says:

“Steve Smith”: In the name of all that is holy, I hope that you’re not a doctor.

Yeah I figured that was wrong. It firms it up or something maybe. I don’t know, I’m under 40. Haven’t had to worry about it yet.

Should have fact-checked but I just wanted to, ahem, get it out.

icecastles: Prunes to speed it up, fiber to slow it down.
    Don’t feel bad though; it’s not uncommon among the older set.

What, pray tell, is a shit-distruber?

124. "Steve Smith" says:

Prunes disturb the shit, fiber distrubs it.

“Steve Smith”: Lowetide, you know I love you, but it’s time that I tell you something: I haven’t understood a single god-damned thing you’ve said since August of 2012.

Boy was I.

126. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie,

This is a law and poop blog; please take your discussion of hockey elsewhere.

127. stevezie says:

icecastles: Gagner straight across would of course be wonderful, but also as likely as Lowetide linking to a Skrillex video. So would you give up Gagner plus a 2nd round pick? Gagner plus a prospect?

I don’t think it is impossible. Not saying it is likely, but Spezza seems to be universally disrespected around the league. He is paid a lot of money. Ottawa is neither a rich team nor a UFA magnet. They might jump at the chance to dump his expensive, expiring contract for a long-term Robin to Turris’ Batman. I would open with Gagner straight up.

I might be willing to add some stuff, but if would mostly be optics adds- to help Murray sell the deal. Prospects I don’t believe in, that sort of thing. Lander, maybe.

If I am told to go screw, and then every other option falls through, yes, I would be willing to overpay for Spezza. Not with the first, but with one of the good young D.

Obviously let’s try for a good deal, but if I have to I’d take a bad one. We’re at risk of losing the trees to protect the forest. For the sake of the fans and for the sake of Hall et al’s psyches, this team needs to be better next year. This requires a C upgrade.

To quote a Morgan Freeman character, “I don’t care who does it. I just want it done.”

“Hope can drive a man insane”

-The mayor of Hope.

129. icecastles says:

I was having an extremely shitty and depressing evening a few hours ago. And now, a bunch of people I’ve never met (except Bendelson but he’s still looking around in panic wondering who I am and how I can see him) have entirely improved my mood.

Lowetide, “Steve Smith”, Bookije, Stevezie, Ryan, Lois Lowe and everyone else on here, thank you.

You help keep me sane. Seriously.

130. stevezie says:

icecastles,

I was and am having a terrible weekend as the wheels come flying off my promising academic career and kill several onlookers, but I like seeing my name in print.

Anonymous strangers whose names I can’t keep straight unless you have an avatar, a candy commission, or are Bendleson, thankyou for helping keep Icecastles Sane.

131. bendelson says:

“Steve Smith”:
    bendelson,

Shut the fuck up, Bendelson.

I have always wondered how you always seem to know exactly what the voices in my head are saying…?

132. regwald says:

fifthcartel:

From Matheson

nooooooooo

So, it seems that Matheson has either awoken from a slumber or his primary source is back in Oilers mgmt. Is it Howson ? or MacT ? or both ?

133. regwald says:

theres oil in virginia: You know that’s the plan, whether they get Matt Greene or not.So, might as well get him as he’s better than Fraser.I wonder if Petry survives the offseason, so he can come back and be part of the first pairing with Marincin.I’m not convinced that Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse aren’t all on the big club in the fall.One top-UFA would do wonders for this group, but I don’t think it happens.You can’t dwell at the bottom of the standings and expect UFAs to line up to join.So, I’m getting used to the idea of more youth on blue.I’ll be happy if Nurse returns to Junior, Klefbom and Marincin look ready, but there will be growing pains and there is no shelter.

Did everyone see Stauffer’s love for Klefbom saying he is the dman prospect he likes best. I think Marcinin is still delivering more than Klefbom. I do like when Klefbom grabs the puck on the rush. He seems to have good puck sense and great puck handling skills.

134. Lois Lowe says:

Caramel Obvious:
    “Steve Smith”,

Since I started this I should probably comment. The above is so absolutely wrong. What agenda does the Supreme Court have? How are they political?

I see the Court’s work over the last ten years as a constant back and forth between changing social realities and a desire to follow previous jurisprudence.

If anything, the SCC hasn’t been able to elucidate anything coherent. They can’t make up their mind and it leaves the law in doubt. I don’t think any of the justices really are trying to push an ideology (outside of maybe Arbour), and while I disagree with someone like Rothstein a lot of the time, but he also writes incredibly lucid judgements.

135. misfit says:

I don’t want Spezza because the cost to acquire him is likely astronomical. If you’re going to pay that kind of price, get someone who is going to make an impact. Stastny is the better player and all he costs is money. I don’t want Bailey because he’s just not very good. Greene wouldn’t be bad simply because the team is seemingly always going to have a player of that type, and Greene is better than all of Fistric, Fraser, Sutton, and Peckham. Fayne is the UFA RD with size I’d be targeting though.

136. stevezie says:

misfit: I don’t want Spezza because the cost to acquire him is likely astronomical

I betcha it’s not.

137. Evilas says:

Spezza – Interesting thought, but I think it would be too risky with his back injury history and I don’t think he is strong enough as a defensive C. And if you want to bring a vet C like a Spezza you’d want to bring him in for 2+ years. If this is the direction, then Staal should be the target. Although I think the price would be too steep for either of these guys. There is no need to break the bank and empty the cupboards by getting rid of the very good young Dmen that are starting to show what they could become. So the plan needs to be to solidify the C with capable 2-way C’s with some size and try and keep them for at least 3yrs. As well shore up the D with 2 more capable vets to support the youngsters, no more Frasers on the backend. No more Gazdics, get some size on the wings with Hendricks types (hockey players with some size and grit).

I will continue to wave this flag: the best move to shore up C would be Courturier + Coburn + 2014 2nd Round pick for Ebs and Schultz. The negative feedback is that you can’t replace the lost offence, but the general consensus is that Courturier is going to be a stud 2-way C for years. Not that it is a good comparison, but during his draft year his offence was favourably compared to Mario Lemieux, however this does speak to his offensive potential as being quite good. He brings 2x the offense of Gordon, and he is only going to get better. I think the positives by far outweigh the negatives of this move, you might lose 25 goals in offense, it could be difficult to quantify, but I think it saves you at least 30 goals on the defensive side.

Then Dubinsky + 2014 2nd Round pick for Gagner + 2015 1st Round pick, the negatives are the potential of that pick if the Oil shit the bed. I think this pick won’t be as valuable, since the lottery will be weighted differently and even if the Oilers finished 30th, the odds will be stacked against them to win it. Also, if you have a healthy Dubinsky and Courturier as your 2nd and 3rd line C’s, I am pretty confident this team would be 20th or higher in the standings.

These should be the bold moves that MacT makes.

Quick survey: do you want the next RE or a regular post in the mornings? I can’t promise it’ll work a specific way, but would like some input if you’re around this morning.

139. Yeti says:

A regular post stacked full of idle trade speculations, philosophical musings about the nature of WG’s lumber, and a report on Nurse’s first few games in the AHL would be lovely. But I’ll happily take whatever I’m served.

I love the RE: series.

141. Evilas says:

Love the RE too!

It would be nice to read this series, the sooner the better!

142. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Doesn’t matter LT. Whatever you post we’ll get sidetracked by our various hobbyhorses soon enough.

143. sliderule says:

I see Gernat hasn’t played last two games.
    Healthy scratch?

144. russ99 says:

Spezza would be a heck of a pickup, but the question is what it would cost…

If we can nab him in a draft pick swap along with one or two of our non-long term players, I’d consider it.

At some point the Oilers need to make a move like this. We need better players at every position but goalie and top 6 left wing.

Romulus Apotheosis:

Let me tell you about how I see the Oilers D and Couturier…….

146. theres oil in virginia says:

“Steve Smith”: This is a law and poop blog

Only a lawyer would draw a distinction here.

147. B S says:

Thank god the season is over, This has been the best thread in a long while, love the comments on Canadian politics and on LT’s bowel disorders (word to the wise, adult diapers don’t work like baby diapers). Love reading the comments after a hard weekend. Not old enough to remember more than the after effects of the last cup, so Smyth has been THE Oilers for me over the years.

Oddly enough, after the Oil finally do something classy (Smyth had a wonderful retirement game, tears were shed etc.) I’m struggling to hold on to my fan-dom. These kids need to do something next season to make it clear they’re worth cheering for. Spezza might help with that, but I agree others, I’m not sure if I trade more than Gagner for him (I actually like Gags, but 2 years of Gagner for a legitimate 1C for a year seems worth it to me, assuming we have a solid 2C prospect coming along), though with his NMC, if he waives it for a trade here, he may be fairly willing to re-sign here.

148. misfit says:

stevezie: I betcha it’s not.

My interest would definitely depend on the cost to acquire him. Depending on whether or not they see Zibanejad and Lazar as wingers or centermen, their center depth without Spezza isn’t great. I would have to wonder why they would move him in the offseason if the return wasn’t significant.

If we could get him for spare parts, then I’m all for it. I’m not concerned about the cap hit, or the fact that he’s only got one more year on his deal. It really boils down to what we’re subtracting from our lineup to get him in there.

If it’s Gagner and a pick/prospect, then sure. If it’s the #3 pick and Yakupov, hell no.

149. matt says:

1. How did this turn into a law blog? (not a bad thing, but unexpected)
    2. “Magnificent Bastarache”=gold. But I can’t forgive him for the Calgary Stores decision.
    3. Poo=poo.
    4. Everyone loves Binnie.
    5. Moldaver was right about Nadon (and hence Binnie too, although Moldaver’s dissent was much better than Binnie’s opinion – recall too that Charron and Hogg endorsed the Binnie opinion). The majority opinion has no answer for the Moldaver “cherrypicking” argument, in my view.
    6. Spezza for Gagner in a heartbeat. It’s Spezza or Stastny or Gagner for 2C. Not sure there are many other options out there for MacT.