Sam Gagner is at a crossroads in his career. His boxcar numbers—at his age—are very impressive, and he’ll make a fine living in an NHL city for years to come. I’d suggest that he was a good and developing player for a long time in our city, but the Kassian injury and the failed sorties this season are probably too much to overcome. Many suggest MacT will need to trade 89 before his no-trade kicks in, but one suspects Samwise has long since charted course for a new life, with a new plan and a brand new dream.
These kids arrive with so much hype, and have wonderful opportunities, but that also comes with pressure. In many cases, certainly Gagner’s this year’s model is replaced by another, younger, better, stronger, one.
OILERS 2014 DRAFT PICKS
- #3 overall (first round)
- #91 overall (fourth round, this is the Bryzgalov return)
- #116 overall (fourth round, this is the Mike Brown return)
- #128 overall (fifth round, this is the first pick of the Ales Hemsky return)
- #136 overall (fifth round, this is the Nick Schultz return)
- #153 overall (sixth round)
- #183 overall (seventh round)
Islanders own 4, 34, 53 and 64 among the top 90 selections. They also have Josh Bailey, Cal Clutterbuck, Scott Mayfield, Calvin de Haan and others.
Anything in there interest you?