YES! SIMPSON SIGNS!

dillon simpson signedThe Edmonton Oilers have signed college defender Dillon Simpson. It’s an important signing, as Simpson’s skill set (he’s a defensive sort) fits nicely with the rest of the Oilers youngsters. They can wheel, he’ll protect the house. Oiler fans should expect more of a ‘defense-first’ type as described in this recent game summary:

• Dillon Simpson’s final game for North Dakota was one for the ages. He was huge, and I’m not just talking about the two back door plays he broke up. He also blocked two shots, played a ton of minutes, and assisted on Connor Gaarder’s game-tying goal.

Simpson is a LH defender and based on his progress in the NCAA, it’ll be interesting to see how much time he spends in the minor leagues. Edmonton has drafted several college men over the years and they don’t spend a lot of time in the minors. Matt Greene (26 games), Tom Gilbert (48 games) and Jeff Petry (49 games) spent less than a season in the minors—and it’s reasonable to assume Simpson will be pushing for NHL time in the next 12 months.

simpson9

I know a scout (eastern conference) who discussed the trio of Musil-Simpson-Gernat with me a year or so ago. He said Musil’s foot speed is going to impact him as a pro, Gernat’s size and speed will get him to the NHL (if he remains healthy) but his offense wasn’t so good we should expect him to be a 30-point player. He talked at length about Simpson and his development since draft day, about how impressive Simpson’s progress had been, about how well he played the game and made decisions. The kicker? I asked him about Gernat and Musil, the scout brought Simpson into the conversation.

Interesting.

63 Responses to "YES! SIMPSON SIGNS!"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

we’ve been worried about it so long, it’s hard to imagine it actually being resolved.

I’m pretty excited to see him play now.

it’s weird listening to his dad call the MTL-TB game right now. He must have his attn. divided. proud father.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

You won’t read anything better than this on the signing:

Joey LaLeggia ‏@JLaLeggia21 8m
    So pumped for my boy @Simmer18 signing with the Oilers! So well deserved. Unbelievable guy, unbelievable hair. #theman

3. Gerta Rauss says:

Simpson, eh..?

Excellent

4. Mr DeBakey says:

Was looking at the Hockey News “Future Watch” issue recently.
    Dillon Simpson wasn’t listed in the Oilers Top 10.
    Laurent Brossoit was 3rd.
    Just Sayin

5. Ben says:

Does he join the legion of new hires in OKC?

Speaking of – do they not have a roster limit down there?

6. justDOit says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Simpson, eh..?

Excellent

I wonder if he’ll wear number 7G?

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 1m
    Dillon Smpson, who has a freshly inked contract with #Oilers, will not join the #OKCBarons for remainder of playoff run. Will finish degree.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ1m

The fact that he likes playing RH side is a positive.

9. fuzzy muppet says:

As a North Dakotan, I was very eager to watch Simpson. The quote from the recent game summary came from the frozen four game against Minnesota.

Simpson was dominant. On ONE shift, he broke up two cross the shot passes, stick checked a guy from behind and took the puck, and then knocked a guy of the puck in the corner, again stealing it and the made a quick outlet pass for a country attack.

I can’t remember an Oiler defenseman doing any of those things, let alone on one shift!

I’m being Nurse is a given to go back to the CHL

10. fuzzy muppet says:

Grrr! Stupid phone and its auto correct!

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: That’s the smart play here. They have miles of blue in OKC. Finish college life, talk to Dad about prep for training camp, begin the journey.

The fact that he likes playing RH side is a positive.

Another thing…

we’ve worried for a while whether he’d sign… and we thought we’d win him over by burning a year of his ELC.

And… here we are. He’s home and dry (as you’d say) and for the whole play, all 3 acts.

Good news.

Left side is getting full.

Marincin
    Klefbom
    Ference
    Simpson
    Nurse
    Gernat
    Musil

That’s in order of likely-hood to play in the NHL next year.

I wonder which one MacT uses as trade bait?

If I’m a GM with:

- an aging LH Dman
    -who’s contract is a little to big for their contribution
    -who used to take on toughs, but can’t quite handle it anymore
    -and has 2 or so years left on it

I call up MacT and talk about the need to shed salary and come scoop up Marincin.

Get an upgrade who will be under contract for a long time and save a pile of cap space in the process.

I wonder if Kekalainen waved Jack Johnson under MacT’s nose if he bites with Marincin?

I still fear Jack Johnson on this team something fierce.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Good news.

Left side is getting full.

Marincin
    Klefbom
    Ference
    Simpson
    Nurse
    Gernat
    Musil

That’s in order of likely-hood to play in the NHL next year.

I wonder which one MacT uses as trade bait?

If I’m a GM with:

- an aging LH Dman
    -who’s contract is a little to big for their contribution
    -who used to take on toughs, but can’t quite handle it anymore
    -and has 2 or so years left on it

this reads like a blueprint for exactly what’s going to happen. it’s going to be horrid.

the only savior here is we are flush with potential. if more than a couple hit, MacT can afford to blunder his way through it.

15. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

I guess that is one of the reasons they wanted Ekblad

I have more faith in MacT than that, but there’s no doubt this team has a plethora of blue. I don’t think we’ll see a three-for-one this summer, but Campbell from Florida or Ehrhoff from Buffalo are possible.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I don’t think we’ll see a three-for-one this summer

I see what you did there.

I don’t think Kate Upton will pop by the house tonight.

18. Ducey says:

Petty nice to get a quality player in the 4th round. MBS!

I too am happy they got him for a three year ELC. With his ability to walk I am surprised.

19. spoiler says:

Ducey: Petty nice to get a quality player in the 4th round. MBS!

I think we need to repeat this. If he’s anything like Petry, what a steal. But that pedigree should probably temper our expectations of making it to the NHL inside of one season. I suspect the Oilers plan for him is a full year in the A.

While its not fair to expect a poor trade from MacT, he hasn’t earned the benefit of the doubt yet either, especially in regards to D.

Nonel of MacT’s D adds were good this year. Ference, Grebs, Belov all failed at different levels.

There’s an argument that Belov didn’t get a fair shake, but he didn’t earn a starting spot either.

MacT biggest addition on the back end so far was Ference.

We can all agree that they put him in over his head, but the results are still beyond the pale.

Here’s all of his D partners this year with their CF% together – CF% partner apart: (sample size warning on the last 3)

SCHULTZ, JUSTIN -1
    PETRY, JEFF -2.2
    SCHULTZ, NICK -0.3
    LARSEN, PHILIP 8.3
    FRASER, MARK -3.1
    BELOV, ANTON -10.6
    KLEFBOM, OSCAR -6.6

Only Larsen was better with Ference and they were both much better together than apart.

Even Fraser was better apart. Fraser and Belov managed a 50% while Fraser and Ference put up an even 40%.

I can see MacT biting on a vet whose reputation exceeds their recent results with ease and his right hand man traded for Jack Johnson.

I actually think Howson did a pretty good job in CBJ (Kekalinen hasn’t changed the roster much since he took over and look where they are), but trading for Jack Johnson is criminal.

I don’t trust the management group of MacT & Howson yet, and I certainly don’t trust them in terms of D.

Ducey:
    Petty nice to get a quality player in the 4th round.MBS!

I too am happy they got him for a three year ELC.With his ability to walk I am surprised.

Hey, hey hey.

Don’t you know that MBS is a failure?

Let’s not let any of the draft picks actually approach NHL age before passing judgement now.

22. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy: Nonel of MacT’s D adds were good this year.Ference, Grebs, Belov all failed at different levels.

You forgot Mark Fraser.

My question is as follows: what tips can you offer a fellow Oilers fan who would like to follow your example and forget Mark Fraser?

Wow.

Next year 7 of 8 of MBS’ picks in 2011 will be in the NHL or AHL

1 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – NHL
    19 Oscar Klefbom – NHL
    31 David Musil – AHL
    62 Samu Perhonen – ?
    74 Travis Ewanyk – AHL
    92 Dillon Simpson – AHL/NHL
    114 Tobias Rieder – AHL
    122 Martin Gernat – AHL
    182 Frans Tuohimaa – AHL

That’s pretty good.

Reider, Gernat, Simpson, Musil, and even Tuohimaa might have a shot at playing 100 NHL games or more.

24. spoiler says:

Larsen was added by MacT too.

Woodguy:
    Wow.

Next year 7 of 8 of MBS’ picks in 2011 will be in the NHL or AHL

1Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – NHL
    19Oscar Klefbom – NHL
    31David Musil – AHL
    62Samu Perhonen – ?
    74Travis Ewanyk – AHL
    92Dillon Simpson – AHL/NHL
    114Tobias Rieder – AHL
    122Martin Gernat – AHL
    182Frans Tuohimaa – AHL

That’s pretty good.

If you swap Boone Jenner or Brandon Saad for Musil, that draft is ridiculous.

26. LMHF#1 says:

I’m still standing here with my “Gernat to the wing!” sign. Only a matter of time. Make it happen.

spoiler:
    Larsen was added by MacT too.

He was the contract he had to take back to get rid of Horc’s.

Not the same as FA signings or a “real” trade, but I get what you’re pitching.

28. Gerta Rauss says:

Stoll with the one timer from the top of the circle ties it

I miss that

“Steve Smith”: You forgot Mark Fraser.

Blunt instruments and Blunts.

30. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:
    Larsen was added by MacT too.

I noticed that too, but mentioning him would have ruined my Mark Fraser joke.

“Steve Smith”: You forgot Mark Fraser.

Fraser was a freebie add by trading someone he had no plans on bringing back and dumping a contract to make room in Abney.

You’re both right though.

Ference, Belov, Fraser, Larsen and Grebs.

No sir.

I don’t like it.

Man I wish Grebs would have stuck.

*tear*

33. icecastles says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Stoll with the one timer from the top of the circle ties it
    I miss that

I remember when we all thought the concussions had derailed his career. Sigh.

This has to be the fastest game I’ve ever seen LA play. What a phenomenal hockey game. If our Oilers were in this, they’d be blue and orang smudges along the boards by ten minutes in.

Who the Christ is Phil Fraser?

35. Lois Lowe says:

Woodguy,

Also, the farther away we get from the Rieder for Kessey swap the worse it looks. Kessey did have 88 penalty minutes though.

36. spoiler says:

Woodguy: He was the contract he had to take back to get rid of Horc’s.
    Not the same as FA signings or a “real” trade, but I get what you’re pitching.

One of the things I like about MacT is he went out and got himself a lot of options. Insurance. He then did the same thing at C and G. He was still auditioning D at the end of the season.

This is very different than the Bombellini approach. Gotta roll the dice to play Yahtzee.

If high end options are too expensive or refuse to come, this is what you are forced to do. But for God sakes get some cheap depth in your org. And MacT did.

We’ll see what he does going forward. The keys for me will be whether he can get something good and necessary with the 3rd OV. And then how he deals with Gagner, Yak, and free agency. I don’t think there’s any hope of Yak signing an extension this summer…

37. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: I noticed that too, but mentioning him would have ruined my Mark Fraser joke.

It was literally priceless.

38. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler,

I will not be able to get any sleep tonight.

39. One-Timer says:

icecastles: I remember when we all thought the concussions had derailed his career. Sigh.

40. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: spoiler, I’ve been mulling this over for the last several minutes, and I think I should have said “You forgot Mark Fraser, in which regard you are an inspiration to us all.”I will not be able to get any sleep tonight.

When in doubt always choose the longer beat before the reveal, as you know, but really it comes down to the reading giving the tone you want. The latter choice allows you to say evil with a smile, which is worth something a little extra.

41. tcho says:

I don’t think the pessimism on MacT and d-trades is justified. He couldn’t make a big move on d this past season. He tried lots of smaller moves that many of us thought were reasonable bets (Grebs, Belov). They didn’t pan out but come on. No Cam Barker as saviour moves.

42. jake70 says:

On the 3 for 1 trade, there will be one, but it will be 1 out and 3 coming back ….book it. :-)

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One-Timer: And that Mike Brown guy has been pretty solid for the Sharks.Wish we had someone like that on our 4th line!

you’ve got playoff goggles on:

he’s still very very bad.

44. One-Timer says:

The Cal series is coming up on 300 hits after 8 periods. It’s just a heavyweight slugfest out there.
    Oilers will never ever compete with these guys while being outweighed by a 10 to 15 lb average. Not gonna happen without some size. Make and take a pass, yes, but with a few more kilos to lean with.
    Yes, Ice, the Oil would be smudges on the wall in this one.

45. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Great news on Simpson.

From your previous post LT, my question(s) for MacT would be:

If your move to hire Eakins and remove Krueger was borne out of your quest to find Krueger assistant coach depth, how did you determine that removing Krueger as your head coach and replacing him with a significantly less experienced (at the NHL level) head coach AND concurrently abandoning your search for assistant coaching depth was going to possibly advance the development of the team? Is the burning revelation we are in desperate need of additional coaching depth a mistake you accept in your rash move for coaching change and the decisions you made around that?

46. icecastles says:

Damn this hockey game. My ice cream melted and I didn’t even notice.

47. spoiler says:

One-Timer: And that Mike Brown guy has been pretty solid for the Sharks. Wish we had someone like that on our 4th line!

Luckily for you we have someone like that on our 4th line AND our 3rd line!

48. Hammers says:

Ference was still the “type” of player McT wants . Lots of character but the problem was/is he needs to be at most a 4-5-6 not a 1-2-3 as he was used especially early . McT ‘s adding “D” was smart when you have no dance partner for a blockbuster deal . He has some options this summer with potential “D” trade pieces but his real problem will be deciding the guy to go . He may have to give up one of them to get that older ( 30 ) bridge type “D” we desperately need at least for 2-3 years . Personally I would prefer keeping Marincin over Klefbom but it’s probably one of those two who get moved .McT said if the deal isn’t there the young guns play but I don’t want to see Petry/ Marincin ; Schultz / Klefbom ; Ference/ Nurse as our starting 6 . If one has to go to get a few years for the next batch so be it .

49. Hammers says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    Great news on Simpson.

From your previous post LT, my question(s) for MacT would be:

Eakins hired Acton

50. OilLeak says:

Best thing about about Simpson is that he’s still really, really young. Played 4 years in the NCAA and is still only 21!! SImpson could be ready after a year in OKC.

51. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Hammers,

Fair comment.

52. One-Timer says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hey c’mon, the guy’s a sniper: shooting 50%!
    PDO says that should come crashing back to earth… lol.
    But seriously, you’ve got to roll four lines against LA in the playoffs, and he’s getting like 9 minutes a night. He’s not brilliant, but SJ has found a better way to use him than the Oil. Depth helps, of course.

53. One-Timer says:

spoiler,

Pretty sure SJ’s 4th line could saw off our 3rd right now, and maybe our 2nd on a good night.

54. PunjabiOil says:

I suspect the conversation at the Simpson’s dinner table went something along the lines of:

“We’re all told at some point in time that we can no longer play the children’s game, we just don’t… don’t know when that’s gonna be. Some of us are told at twenty-one, some of us are told at forty, but we’re all told. “

55. spoiler says:

SJS needs to watch the slow hand of the LA timekeeper a little more closely.

56. justDOit says:

icecastles:
    Damn this hockey game. My ice cream melted and I didn’t even notice.

Was it chocolate?

57. Nuckout says:

fuzzy muppet:
    As a North Dakotan,I was very eager to watch Simpson. The quote from therecent game summary came from the frozen four game against Minnesota.

Simpson was dominant. On ONE shift,he broke up two cross the shot passes, stick checked a guy from behind and took the puck, and then knocked a guy of the puck in the corner, again stealing it and the made a quick outlet pass for a country attack.

I can’t remember an Oiler defenseman doing any of those things,let alone on one shift!

I’m being Nurse is a given to go back to the CHL

58. spoiler says:

Nuckout: I highly doubt that Nurse goes back to the Soo, he’ll spend next season down in OKC, with maybe a possible callup at some point. Nurse’s play so far I think has earned him a spot on the Barons.

OKC is the one place we all know for sure that Nurse is not playing in next season. It’s a brutal rule, but he is not eligible.

59. Colieo87 says:

Ok I have two question regarding two Scenarios on the Elc most players sign when they enter the league but I’m sure there is a few exemptions to undrafed players and guys coming in on a trial basis. I’m mean that’s how my distant cousin got on with the black hawks and then got traded to the flames one year before the Hawks one the cup. (hint hint) But now he’s playing for Montreal and score a fast goal in game 3 which only took 11 seconds. ? (can you guess who he is)

But back to my first question if a player doesn’t sign after his ELC deal is complete like yakapov he’s he still remain oilers property being an RFA or can he walk?

And the other is concerning Darrel Nurse, MacT just signed him to his ELC and he’s playing in the Ahl with the Barron’s. But if MacT signed him before he was 19 so as 18 year old cause his DOB is February 4, 95 could we prevent no years burning on his ELC deal.?

“In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player’s SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player’s Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.”

Colieo87,

If a player who is a RFA after their ELC refuses to sign another contract with the club, the club still retains his NHL rights.

He is free to pursue employment in other leagues, but in the NHL the club who he signed the ELC with owns his rights.

As for Nurse, you have it right.

If he doesn’t play 10 NHL games, his ELC slides.

The Oilers still have 3 years of ELC with Nurse.

If he doesn’t play 10 games in the NHL next year, it will slide and they will still have 3 years of ELC with Nurse.

Colie87: Yakupov would be rfa. Edmonton would retain his rights. Yakupov could bolt to the KHL or try to find an offer sheet in the NHL, but he’s still bound to Edmonton.

As for Nurse, the “Slide Rule” as I understand it applies to both 18 and 19 year old seasons. Edmonton can begin his pro deal at 20, if they keep sending him to SSM.

62. frjohnk says:

Colieo87:
    Ok I have two question regarding two Scenarios on the Elc most players sign when they enter the league but I’m sure there is a few exemptions to undrafed players and guys coming in on a trial basis.I’m mean that’s how my distant cousin got on with the black hawks and then got traded to the flames one year before the Hawks one the cup. (hint hint)But now he’s playing for Montreal and score a fast goal in game 3 which only took 11 seconds. ?(can you guess who he is)

And the other is concerning Darrel Nurse,MacT just signed him to his ELC and he’s playing in the Ahl with the Barron’s.But if MacT signed him before he was 19 so as 18 year old cause his DOB is February 4, 95could we prevent no years burning on his ELC deal.?

First question, if a player does not sign after the ELC is up, they are still oilers property as a RFA. Player can sign a contract from another team, but the oilers can match or could chose to be compensated ( draft picks). Said player could chose to sign with another league ( KHL for example) and oilers would still have his rights

2nd question, we won’t burn any years until Nurse plays more than 10 games in a season.

63. gcw_rocks says:

The CF% for MacT’s “improvements” to the defence (Ference, Fraser, Larsen, Grebeshkov, Hunt, Belov,) was 43.1%.