BOGDAN’S SIGNING NUMBERS

The Edmonton Oilers haven’t officially announced the signing yet, but Bogdan Yakimov’s contract numbers are up on Capgeek. It’s an $842,500 cap hit, and the AAV is $925,000 (that’s all in, with maxing bonuses). He’ll make $70,000 in Oklahoma City. Question: How long will he play there?

VOLLMAN NHL EQUIVALENCY FOR BOGDAN YAKIMOV: 82GP, 14-9-23

Is that enough to beat out Anton Lander? I think Yakimov gets that job, but not because of the NHLE.

• Bogdan Yakimov 6.04, 220
  • Leon Drasaitl 6.01, 209
  • Anton Lander 6.00, 194

The Oilers small center for next season is Mark Arcobello. I think the club tries to get a bigger man to play 2line C behind Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, but the future comes from Russia and Germany. I don’t think there’s much doubt. I also think we should prepare for the possibility that Yakimov gets a really good look on a line with Yakupov and a veteran two-way winger during pre-season.

Yakimov’s signing makes six entry-level deals for 2014-15:

• Darnell Nurse: 2013 1st round pick will get a long look in training camp. This is a slide rule deal that does in fact slide.
  • Mitchell Moroz: 2012 2nd round pick will likely play in Oklahoma City next season, although time in Bakersfield is possible.
  • Jujhar Khaira: 2012 3rd round pick who has already played (and well) with the Barons. An AHL ticket for 2014-15 is very likely.
  • Dillon Simpson: 2011 4th round pick who has a really nice resume. He’ll be a strong candidate to play in Oklahoma City next season.
  • Bogdan Yakimov: 2013 3rd round pick, big Russian center MacT likes, I think he’ll play at least 40 games in Oklahoma City this coming season.
  • Jordan Oesterle: College free agent signing, a complete wild card.

We should watch for names like Marco Roy, John McCarron and Erik Gustafsson as possible signings in the next few weeks. And of course Draisaitl when they take him. Who is the most likely player to make the NHL team in the fall?

Darnell Nurse.

39 Responses to "BOGDAN’S SIGNING NUMBERS"

1. Younger Oil says:

Great news on Yakimov. Let’s hope they don’t rush him like they did with Lander.

I’m all for taking Draisaitl, but would be happy with any of the top four, but I think Draisaitl is the best fit. However, what hasn’t really been discussed is if Draisaitl is picked by either Florida or Buffalo. Florida was quick to draft Barkov after Mackinnon was taken last year to get a big center, and Buffalo might be looking for size up the middle as well. This will be a very exciting draft.

2. Melman says:

Who is the most likely player to make the NHL team in the fall?

Please let it be none of them!

3. Crooked says:

I vaguely recall the pre-draft scouting report mentioned foot speed would be a big hurdle to making it to the NHL. Any word on progress in that area?

4. misfit says:

Lander was rushed, but what’s the reasoning behind the idea that he is worse off for it? Is an NHL 4th line really a bad place for a player development-wise? Especially a 20 year old who had 4 years of pro experience under his belt? Is there really any reason to think that he wouldn’t be in the exact same place today had he spent that year playing in OKC?

I mean, I could think of worse situations to learn the NHL game than the NHL and being coached by both Tom Renney and Ralph Kreuger. I mean, sure he didn’t play top line minutes, but he had his Timra teammate and close friend MPS on the team, and played/practiced along side guys like Ryan Smyth, Ales Hemsky, and Shawn Horcoff. Yes, Eager and Petrell aren’t the best linemates a guy could have, but are Josh Green and Phil Cornet any better? Because those are the kind of guys he would’ve had to show him the ropes in the AHL.

I’d like to see Yakimov play in the AHL too. But it’s mostly because I doubt he’ll be ready for the NHL and I want the Oilers to ice a team with 12 NHL forwards on it, not because I think it’ll be bad for his development.

5. regwald says:

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but in my Oilers season ticket package, here’s some love for Marincin.

“Also, as you’ve witnessed, the Oilers increased focus on Player Development is showing early positive results with both Martin Marincin and Oscar Klefbom graduating to big minutes on the new Oilers blueline”

I guess this is telegraphing part of the Oilers starting 6 for October.

#causeoilers

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

regwald:

I guess this is telegraphing part of the Oilers starting 6 for October.

#causeoilers

thanks for passing that along.

I’m not entirely convinced the PR dept is that coordinated with the management dept.

Or, I’m sure they coordinate, but I’m also sure the PR dept is encouraged to trumpet all Oiler related matters, regardless of management plans or views.

As an example, the PR dept. was pretty excited about Belov in the Olympics despite not having played under Eakins in days. They were tweeting about him going to the WC at the same time they must have know he was headed back to the KHL.

7. rich says:

Melman:
    Who is the most likely player to make the NHL team in the fall?

Please let it be none of them!

This.

8. gcw_rocks says:

Nice to see Hextall rip the Oilers during his first day on the job.

“If you think winning the Stanley Cup is easy, I have news for you. And the one thing I mentioned earlier, Philadelphia’s not sitting there waiting for, you know, number one picks year after year after year. You know, for five years. I mean it’s, it’s the easy way to go and there’s no guarantees of winning a cup then. But to maintain something for 25 years or 30 years, which has been done here, is hard to do…

…Other than maybe not winning the big one, and again right now there’s 30 teams out there and right now there’s a team, won’t mention any names, there’s a team out there just collecting the number 1 picks right now. Yeah, they’re gonna be a pretty good team in 3 or 4 years, but ask their fans if they’ve had a fun last 7 or 8 years. I mean, it’s just, the culture of winning is nothing to be embarrassed about.”

Sigh.

It would be really dumb for MacT and Eakins to make the same mistake with Yakimov that Tambellni and Renney did with Lander.

What would Ken Holland do? He would not see an NHL game till season 2.

10. Rondo says:

gcw_rocks:
    Nice to see Hextall rip the Oilers during his first day on the job.

Sigh.

I doubt it is only Hextall thinking like that, Oilers are pretty much a joke around the league. They are a poorly run team any way you look at it.

11. jzed says:

Wow, Hexy, still pissed at us for taking Lord Stanley away from you? Get over it. He realizes he’s managing Philly , right?

12. Bank Shot says:

Congrats to Yakimov. I hope he doesn’t see a single second of NHL icetime this season!

misfit,

It wasn’t a crime to try him at 4C

It was a serious felony to leave him there after he was getting buried by meh NHLers while playing with Not NHL players.

Lander got 482 miserable 5v5 minutes in his first year.

More minutes than he has played in the next two season combined.

His CF% was 43.1%

While not out of place on the 13/14 Oilers, in 13/14 it was only ahead of Lennart Lord Love Him Petrell.

No coincidentally Lennart was a team worst 39.6, the only Oiler below 40.

Lander was team 2nd worst -11 RelCor. (Petrell last with -16.1)

His 3 most common wingers/center were:

Petrell (Is Mental)
    Eager (yes, that Eager)
    Belanger

Perhaps it would have been better if they just clubbed him on his head, chain him to an anvil and throw him in the North Saskatchewan.

It wasn’t a bad move to try him in the NHL.

It was a developmental black hole to keep him here teach him dump and chase with awful players just to watch him get buried by marginal NHLers.

No reason for it.

14. Yak2 says:

If the Islanders keep their 5th overall pick, what would it take to get it? If Ekblad falls to us at 3, we could possibly get Draisaitl at 5th or trade that pick with the Flames to get the 4th and have Ekblad and Draisaitl both in our grasp

LT,

Trying to catch up on some of your show.

Just heard the King Kong music.

Keep it, its pretty awesome.

Woodguy:
    LT,

Trying to catch up on some of your show.

Just heard the King Kong music.

Keep it, its pretty awesome.

Ha!

17. Dicky94 says:

Seen on TSN that Eric Stall could be up for grabs. Has a NTC so not sure he would want to go to the oilers. If he did what would it take to get him.? Without Hall , Eberle or Nuge going the other way.

18. "Steve Smith" says:

Yak2:
    If the Islanders keep their 5th overall pick, what would it take to get it?

Is that a trick question?

19. anonymous says:

Seems like a lot of cash for a third round pick? Incentive to leave Russia I suppose.

20. steveb12344 says:

Speaking of TSN. Have you guys seen their “out for a rip” remix yet?

The TSN panellists may have outdone themselves this time.

anonymous:
    Seems like a lot of cash for a third round pick?Incentive to leave Russia I suppose.

A little bit yes.

That’s Bjorkstrand, taken a little later. He’s $678,000 cap hit compared to $842,500. Don’t know if that’s standard for euro’s

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: Is that a trick question?

are you forgetting the Vanek clause?

23. Bank Shot says:

anonymous:

Oilers love the overpay. It’s an organizational trait.

24. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: are you forgetting the Vanek clause?

For a literal sort Rom, I’m a tad surprised that joke of “Steve’s” slipped by.

25. rickithebear says:

bogdan 14 EVG NHLE in 9 min /gm

14-15 EVG for a center is
    32nd to 48th in the league with th likes of:
    B. richards; Zajac; Kesler; Henrique; Spezza; Vermette; Plekamec.

Ahead of RNH; Kadri; Bozak; Stepan; J. Staal; Couyurier; Bergland, Dubinski; Grabovski/

Goal scoring is a Premium.

26. frjohnk says:

Very interested in this Yakimov kid. I wonder where he would have went in the draft if he was a Canadian kid. I do know Ray Ferraro said that he was a “real prospect” and he could be exactly what the oilers need. Hope he is right.

27. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler,

Although, in fairness to Rom, I had definitely forgotten about the Vanek clause.

28. Hammers says:

Good news on Yak2 but LT if Nurse makes this team we are in trouble to make the playoffs unless any of Schultz , Klefbom or Marincin get traded or sent back .Personally I wouldn’t trade Marincin and listening to McT he likes Shultz & Klefbom . I see trouble coming . As for Yak2 he costs $70K next season as he will be in Okl . Draisaitl will be the pick unless its traded outright or he trades down .

Hammers:
    Good news on Yak2 but LT if Nurse makes this team we are in trouble to make the playoffs unless any of Schultz , Klefbomor Marincin get traded or sent back .Personally I wouldn’t trade Marincin and listening to McT he likes Shultz & Klefbom . I see trouble coming . As for Yak2 he costs $70K next season as he will be in Okl . Draisaitl will be the pick unless its traded outright or he trades down .

30. Genjutsu says:

Lowetide: Nurse may only last 9 games, and maybe MacT gets that stud defender. If Nurse impresses during TC, I believe he makes the team.

Something like:

Markov Schultz
    Marincin Petry
    Nurse Ference

Weaver

Klef first call up?

31. bendelson says:

” I also think we should prepare for the possibility that Yakimov gets a really good look on a line with Yakupov and a veteran two-way winger during pre-season.”

Nikolai Kulemin.

Say it LT. Say it loud and say it often.
    SAY IT!

32. mumbai max says:

bendelson:

Nikolai Kulemin.

Say it LT.Say it loud and say it often.
    SAY IT!

Perron

33. wintoon says:

misfit,

Misfit makes a very good point. All those harping on the disastrous development of Lander are perhaps overreacting . If a player has the goods he will shine, barring debilitating injury provided he is given opportunity. Lander has been given numerous opportunities and can’t find the net with a GPS.

34. Big Dan says:

Yakimov doesn’t do it for me. I think he was a good late pick – but I don’t see anything more than 4th line potential. He’ll be battling similiar guys like Moroz, Chase, and Khaira for the same banging “energy” depth role – could be a logjam.

Speaking of 4th lines, I would really like the look of Arcobello flanking Lander/Horak and possibly Yakupov next year. Yak is going to be good long-term but we need to take the pressure and spotlight off him and let him develop at his own pace (perhaps even a little in the AHL playing 30 minutes/night?).

I think if we had a 4th line that could skate and make plays for 12 to 15 minutes – don’t kill Yak by sticking a Gazdic or Acton with him – may help Yakupov long term. I just watch Minnesota with guys like Haula, Fontaine, Zucker getting better and contributing nicely on the 4th line (alongside guys like Heatley, Cooke, and McCormick).

That may mean MacT signing a Kulemin type for the 2nd line and a grinder on the 3rd line.

As for Hextall’s comments, I think he was asked a question about how he believes in building a team, answered by giving an example, and there is no malicious intent. I honestly wonder if MacT has considered Lecavalier. He is big, he’s experienced, and he plays the tough minutes (which would ease the pain off Nuge a bit).

Lecavalier has fallen out of favour in Philadelphia and if MacT made a fair offer, I’m pretty sure Hextall would pick up the phone. The risk with Vinny is injuries but we would have Arco on the 4th line ready to fill in if need be.

35. leadfarmer says:

The transition from the KHL to the NHL is difficult. He will need at least 2 years in the AHL at least before he should sniff NHL time. The culture change, language barrier, change in the game from big ice takes these guys at least a year to adapt.

36. Ca$h-Money! says:

Big Dan:
    Yakimov doesn’t do it for me.I think he was a good late pick – but I don’t see anything more than 4th line potential.He’ll be battling similiar guys like Moroz, Chase, and Khaira for the same banging “energy” depth role – could be a logjam.

Speaking of 4th lines, I would really like the look of Arcobello flanking Lander/Horak and possibly Yakupov next year.Yak is going to be good long-term but we need to take the pressure and spotlight off him and let him develop at his own pace (perhaps even a little in the AHL playing 30 minutes/night?).

I think if we had a 4th line that could skate and make plays for 12 to 15 minutes – don’t kill Yak by sticking a Gazdic or Acton with him – may help Yakupov long term.I just watch Minnesota with guys like Haula, Fontaine, Zucker getting better and contributing nicely on the 4th line (alongside guys like Heatley, Cooke, and McCormick).

As for Hextall’s comments, I think he was asked a question about how he believes in building a team, answered by giving an example, and there is no malicious intent.I honestly wonder if MacT has considered Lecavalier.He is big, he’s experienced, and he plays the tough minutes (which would ease the pain off Nuge a bit).

Lecavalier has fallen out of favour in Philadelphia and if MacT made a fair offer, I’m pretty sure Hextall would pick up the phone.The risk with Vinny is injuries but we would have Arco on the 4th line ready to fill in if need be.

I was just about to say the same thing. It would be nice to bring in a guy who was drafted at the top of his class and has been a star to show these kids how to be that guy. We keep using/adding “veteran leadership” in the form of Horcoff/Ference/Gordon, which is great, but I have a hard time understanding how a grinder is going to show a 1st overall pick how to handle carrying a team on his shoulders and the spotlight that goes with it. Vinny could be a big help, would be an upgrade at 2C, and might very well be available.

37. rickithebear says:

4th line potential?
    7evg in KHL with 9:50 TOI

A 6’4″ 220LB center who was used in a defensive role.
    Who plays a linear game and NHLE says 14EVG and 9 EVA.

Boone Jenner 6’2″ 210lb 20 YR 12EVg 9EVA
    Played 928.7 EV min 12.9 EV min/gm
    401.9 min 43.3% with 1st line players
    265.8 min 28.6% with 2nd line players.
    A young man who got a push.

Size ; pocession; FO; Goal scoring are premiums in winning.

Hall and Yak were most successful with linear centers who can play a defensive role.
    Horcoff; Belanger; Gordon.

He might get a Chance to stabalize Yakipov.

38. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    The transition from the KHL to the NHL is difficult.He will need at least 2 years in the AHL at least before he should sniff NHL time.The culture change, language barrier, change in the game from big ice takes these guys at least a year to adapt.

There are 11 Russian forwards in the NHL
    used full time.
    Lets look at 18 year old Production and when in NHL and if any AHL time
    Semin .36PPG .21 GPG age 19 direct ot NHL
    Kulemin .35PPG .16 GPG age 21 contract end then NHL
    Ovechkin .45PPG .24GPG age 20 Lockout then direct to NHL
    Malkin .61 PPG .23 GPG age 20 contract end then direct to NHL
    Tarasenko .45 PPG .21GPG age 20 contract end then NHL
    Nishchuskin (17) .33PPG .22GPG age 18 direct to NHL
    Anisimov .25PPG .07GPG age 20 1 Yr AHL
    loktionov .20PPG .0GPG age 20 1 Yr AHL
    Kucherov .28PPG .07GPG age 20 1YR CHL

What is clear is russian forwards with better than
    .30PPG and .20GPG had direct entry in to the NHL.

Yakimov .33PPG .21GPG

2 years!

Bull Shit is flying!

39. In the absence of a trade, could Yakimov be the answer? - Oilers Addict says:

[…] Lowetide reports on his personal blog that Yakimov’s KHL numbers give a Vollman equivalency of 14 goals, 9 assists, and 23 points over a full NHL season. How accurate are Vollman NHLE’s? Taylor Hall, again according to Lowetide’s personal blog, had an NHLE of 17 goals, 29 assists, and 46 points over 82 games. Hall actually scored 22 goals, 22 assists, and 42 points in 65 games his rookie season. His actual points per game was higher as was his goal and point totals, so the Vollman method isn’t iron clad in its’ assessment but does give a decent gauge for what can be expected for a player coming into the NHL. These calculations can’t possibly predict how a player will be used, injuries, linemates, etc. As a point of comparison, Leon Draisaitl’s NHLE is 13 goals, 22 assists, and 35 points over 82 NHL games. […]