CRYSTAL BALL, DRAFT EDITION

Rapid fire questions, I’ll answer quick and won’t think! Thrilling! More questions, less think!

1. Will the Oilers pick at 3? Yes.
  2. Who will they pick? Leon Draisaitl.
  3. Will they pick again in the top 75? Yes.
  4. Where? 65 and 78.
  5. HOW? Trade with the Islanders.
  6. What do they give up? Gagner.
  7. Who do they take? Travis Sanheim and Alexandre Goulet.
  8. How many goalies do they take? One.
  9. Who? Jordan Papirny.
  10. Will any Oiler picks from 2014 play this fall? No.
  11. When will Draisaitl make the NHL? 2015 fall.
  12. Who is faster, Reinhart or Draisaitl? Don’t know, do you?
  13. What do you think happens at the NHL Combine? Lots of interviews.
  14. Do they have value? I doubt they have a lot of value, but if a team has a specific question that might be the place to ask.
  15. Like what? Like, if a player didn’t get any power-play time but posted good numbers, I might want to know how he feels about it.
  16. Will the Oilers make a monster trade? Maybe.
  17. If they do, who with? Islanders, Leafs, Panthers. I don’t know.
  18. Where will Ekblad go? No. 1.
  19. Who will he go to? The team that trades for the pick.
  20. Western Conference? Yes.

70 Responses to "CRYSTAL BALL, DRAFT EDITION"

1. Kris11 says:

Will they pick again in the top 75? Yes.
    Where? 65 and 78.

Check the math, LT.

Kris11:
    Will they pick again in the top 75? Yes.
    Where? 65 and 78.

Check the math, LT.

I was RAPID FIRE!!!! :-)

3. VanOil says:

Love the rapid fire.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

next time do the rapid fire under the threat of scorched earth, or Kate Upton.

every answer is “run” or “uuuuuuummmm” or both.

5. VanOil says:

If they trade Gagner to NYI for picks instead of Brock Nelson or Josh Bailey I hope that means they have signed the White Russian and Kulemin.

6. Yak2 says:

Ekblad AND Draisaitl will both be Oilers. Book it.

7. VanOil says:

The CBC musical montage guys will be missed.

8. anonymous says:

Have a feeling they come out with Ekblad and then make a move for a centre.

9. Racki says:

I know I’m fairly alone here, but I’m going to announce my hate for the Oilers getting a couple scratch tickets for Gagner. I know his value has been dropping as time goes on. But it just irks me that this could be all that happens from what was once a pretty promising player. Worse yet, while I am buying more and more into that he isn’t what this team needs, I do think that whatever team gets him will likely be pretty damn happy.

Addition by subtraction for the Oilers, but addition by desperation (Oilers) for another team.

10. Racki says:

VanOil:

I hope that if the Oilers trade Gagner (with any team) that they get some useful players in return. I am really going to hate that we’d lose a pretty talented player because he didn’t fit in with our smurf brigade.

I guess if the Oil sign those two though, that would be a big bonus (And I know that was the one point you made in a different thread, LT, as to why you’d do this deal).

11. prairieschooner says:

If the oilers trade Gagner for picks presumably that means they were more interested in cap space to buy free agents.
    Free agents = NHL players which is better than overloading a bunch of kids with responsibilities that will drag their development down.

Racki: Totally. I get it, and honestly Gagner is one of my favorite Oilers—still! However, where do you put him? He was simply awful at center one year ago, and he was no screaming hell at the position (without the puck) before that time.

He’s a terrific offensive player, but he’s not going to play ahead of Nuge on 1PP, and he’s going to be behind Eberle and Perron on RW.

At even strength, he’d be 3RW and they couldn’t find Hemsky anyone who could pass/make a pass so why would it be any different with 89.

The Oilers aren’t special, they don’t figure things out and they have a new toy. Agree it’s a damn shame, but my GOD they have GOT TO TURN NORTH!!!!

I think gifting Sam Reinhart or Doug Gilmour** to Calgary is beyond stupid.

14. Rondo says:

I’m guessing Oilers take Sam Bennett at #3.

Ryan Kesler couldn’t get much at the trade deadline. Sam Gagner ?

15. VanOil says:

godot10:
    I think gifting Sam Reinhart or Doug Gilmour** to Calgary is beyond stupid.

That’s why I hope it is Ekblad that falls to Calgary. Then after 5 years of growing pains, all at the NHL level, Bruke ships him off for a bucket of pucks and Ekblad blossoms else where.

16. LostBoy says:

Who plays 2C in 2014-2015?

17. RexLibris says:

LostBoy: I’m not asking this in a snarky way at all, but… if Gagner really does get moved for two 3rd round picks…

Who plays 2C in 2014-2015?

Hall!

j/k

18. RexLibris says:

VanOil: I think passing on a player that can hold the puck (possess it) for some good old Canadian hustle is just as stupid.

19. Manitoba Oilers says:

Sanheim will not drop to 65 I doubt he gets past 40

Who plays 2C in 2014-2015?

Manitoba Oilers:
    Sanheim will not drop to 65 I doubt he gets past 40

I like Sanheim, but if he gets taken before #40 that’s too high imo.

22. Racki says:

I hear you. It’s a reality I have to accept. I just don’t like it. But yes, he’s a redundant piece, at best, and not helping the team with his small size, poor defensive play, below average (at best) faceoffs. I have come to terms with the fact he has to go, actually, it’s just I’m hating on the fact that it will be for crap value. It’s pretty much what all the Hemsky lovers had to face (I was on the other side of the fence there, even though I did like Hemmer).

It may be inevitable that he goes for very little, but I don’t have to like it! :P I just hope this Islander talk about Bailey actually is what happens. Would rather have a player, and one that actually wouldn’t be too shab.

If by some miracle the Oilers sign Grabo or Stastny, or pick up some NHL center (note the NHL part), I’ll likely be saying “Gagner who?” in no time.

23. Racki says:

Lowetide: Well, you’ve saved $4.8 million from the Gagner deal. You could sign Grabovski, or trade for a contract, or, and I’m not thrilled with the idea but he’s a good hockey player, insert Arcobello. There’s two issues with 89, the player and the contract.

For a guy that hates losing Gagner for nothing, I’m fairly happy with the idea of Arco over him as 2nd line C. But yah, I sure hope that they can get Grabo or Stastny, or make some sort of trade. If they don’t get an NHL calibre 2nd line C, than I sure as hell hope they get a big minute d-man. Idealy, both.

24. Logan91 says:

RexLibris: I tend to agree. Ekblad and Reinhart are considered the most NHL ready and Ekblad is perhaps the nearest to his eventual NHL ceiling. If he falls to the Flames I would have no concerns whatsoever with them taking him.

Why would you say Ekblad is closest to his NHL ceiling?

25. VanOil says:

You stated the case against Ekblad very elegantly a few treads back.

While I fully acknowledge that the biggest whole in the Oilers line up is a elite defenseman. But if the Oilers are faced with the choice between any of the 3 C and Ekblad with the #3 pick the choice seems to be:

a) Waste the last 5 years of Hall’s current contract waiting on Ekblad to maybe pan out.

b) Watch Hall school Ekblad for the next 5 years as the kid is learning on the job.

The MTL v. NYR game has entered a hot tub time machine and is playing the second period in the 1980′s

26. RexLibris says:

Logan91: Why would you say Ekblad is closest to his NHL ceiling?

Going off of what has been said from various scouting reports and repeated as leaked info from same in the media.

I’m not certain Ekblad is more than what he appears at this stage. He is a phenomenal defenseman in junior but defenders who dominate the CHL and are very large for their age, both in height and weight, have to be weighed (pardon the pun) against that size advantage.

His offensive production is solid and that is a definite bonus, but can he take/make a pass? Can he read a play and assist in a zone breakout under pressure? Does he use his size advantageously or just to his advantage (narrow but important differentiation there)?

Maybe he’s Doughty. Maybe he’s Phaneuf. Maybe he’s Philips. All I know for certain is that the Oilers damned well need a C more than a D and 1st pairing defenders are more often found in all stages of the draft than top-line centers.

27. VanOil says:

Logan91: Why would you say Ekblad is closest to his NHL ceiling?

Part of his current dominance in Jr is his physical maturity. His skill and experience will grow with age but his playoff bread is fully formed by noon each day already. Compare this to our expectations that one year Sweat Baby Nuge may get his ‘Man Strength’ and reach his full potential.

28. RexLibris says:

VanOil,

If Ekblad goes to Calgary he can play with Wideman on the 2nd pairing behind Brodie and Giordano.

If I were the kid’s agent I couldn’t draw up a better scenario (okay, maybe somehow finding a way to go to Chicago or L.A.) in terms of development.

For the Flames it means that their “rebuild” essentially ends after year two because they’ve got a lot of smaller pieces in the right places hitting the NHL at the right time.

Will it make them elite? I doubt it, but it also means that Treliving and Burke stop accruing draft picks and start chasing free agents and other team’s NHL players by way of trade.

A quick return to mediocrity? Perhaps. Does it mean that the Oilers are still wandering in the desert? Probably, but I think in the long run the OIlers have a deeper collection of defenseman and higher-end talent at forward than the Flames which may (if management can sort through the mess) ultimately yield better returns.

And anything that keeps McDavid out of the 403 area code is good in my books. ;)

Any Nichushkin’s in this year’s draft? http://www.puckrant.com/Slapshot/THE_GREATEST_DRAFT_STORY_EVER_TOLD

30. Racki says:

RexLibris,

Ekblad won’t be going to Calgary, because I will warp to Philadelpha and slap MacT in the mouth faster than he can finish saying “from the (anywhere but Barrie Colts)…”.

Racki:
    RexLibris,

Flames could trade to No. 1, that’s a Burke move for sure.

32. VanOil says:

Lowetide: Flames could trade to No. 1, that’s a Burke move for sure.

This would bring me joy, as long as they select Ekblad and Tallon soaks the flames.

33. Racki says:

Wow, Rene Bourque.. finally paying off.

34. VanOil says:

Hearing Tom Renney is being considered for the Florida coaching job. Tambo the Terrible’s reign ruined more than just hockey players careers. I wish Renney the best of luck.

35. ashley says:

Gagner is a nice player for sure. But his value in the trade market is limited by his contract. He’s past his RFA years, so his only value is what he can produce for 5M a year compared to what another player(s) can produce for that cap hit over the next 2 years.

He might have the offence to cover that contract, but he may never have the D to make it worthwhile. Someone may take a flyer on him in a trade, but I suspect it might be worse than what LT expects in return. Maybe a Brossoit-type flailing prospect and a 3rd rounder. Another GM would be betting that he may rebound nicely and it’s possible he finds the other end of the ice. Cogs did.

Now if Gagner was signed for two more years at 2M we would be talking about a bottom third first rounder and a reasonable prospect in a trade.

This demonstrates how important it is for the GM to get the contract number right. Sometimes a career year ties their hands. Those are the times to keep the term short.

36. Racki says:

John Moore won’t be back next game

37. Rebilled says:

Racki,

2 games.

38. Clay says:

godot10:
    I think gifting Sam Reinhart or Doug Gilmour** to Calgary is beyond stupid.

I’m in the same boat. If two of Draisaitl, Reinhart, and Bennet are available at #3, the one that scares me the least with regards to being a Flame for the next 15 years is Draisaitl.

Fastest skaters in the draft. It’s kind of a moving target!

40. Henry says:

This is twisting me up in knots. Is it OK to like the Montreal Canadians? For 34 years I’ve been against them, but I don’t know, I kind of, sort of like the way these assholes play. Except the diving.

And the uniforms are pretty classic.

41. Henry says:

Clay: I’m in the same boat.If two of Draisaitl, Reinhart, and Bennet are available at #3, the one that scares me the leastwith regards to being a Flame for the next 15 years is Draisaitl.

I agree completely. Draisatl might look good as an Oiler 2C, but that Reinhart or especially Bennett in Cowtown is frightening.

Henry:
    This is twisting me up in knots.Is it OK to like the Montreal Canadians?For 34 years I’ve been against them, but I don’t know, I kind of, sort of like the way these assholes play.Except the diving.

43. Zangetsu says:

I really like the two Sting players, especially Goldobin. I’d like to see us make a move to get a pick in their range. I don’t know how you turn gagner into that though.

44. gogliano says:

Fastest skaters in the draft. It’s kind of a moving target!

It is pretty remarkable this is something we have to guess at. Any college football player will have to do his 40 and will have an exact time attached. Given the dollars involved it shouldn’t be too hard to institute a similar drill for all of these kids.

Edit: Scratch that — the football kids here already have their exact speed clocked in high school for recruitment purposes.

gogliano: It is pretty remarkable this is something we have to guess at.Any college football player will have to do his 40 and will have an exact time attached.Given the dollars involved with these kids it shouldn’t be too hard to institute a similar drill for all of these kids.

Very true. I think the results would be very interesting and yet we are here.

46. Zangetsu says:

ashley,

We didn’t have the leverage to get Gagner for 2 million. He would have flown town for any less than he got I suspect. I wanted him at 4 million (wildest dreams), but anything less than that is a ludicrous expectation.

47. VanOil says:

Lowetide: Very true. I think the results would be very interesting and yet we are here.

48. VanOil says:

Surely arming scouts with two rather inexpensive camera’s the measure the following would be wise (software copied from soccer software):

ICE-TIME

PASSING

o Pass attempts

o Completed passes

o Completion percentage

o Length per pass

o Speed of passes

o Distance to defender when passing

o # of Passes to giveaways

o Passing grid/maps

RECEIVING

o # of Receptions

o # of Receptions from takeaways

o Speed when receiving a pass

o Reception maps

POSITIONING

o Zone entry/exit success with speeds

o Defensive spacing and gapping

o Offensive attack structure & success

o Special teams formations

o Distance to defender, teammate, and puck

POSSESSION

o # of Possessions

o # of Touches

o # of Touches per possession

o Distance skated with the puck

o Speed skating with/without the puck

o Total puck possession time

o Time puck held per possession

o # of Possessions from takeaways

o # of Possessions to giveaways

o Possession maps

SHOOTING

o Shots on goal

o Shot attempts

o Rebounds created

o % of Shots that create rebounds

o Shot attempts off rebound

o Shots on goal off rebound

o # of One-timers

o Speed of shots

o Shot location on net

o Distance to defender when shooting

o Shot maps

What more would you like to know? Eye glow?

49. Henry says:

VanOil,

How do you measure what will happen to his feet when Ales Hemsky gives him the inside out move?

50. Henry says:

Tim Hudson is still a really good pitcher. Looks like Maddux now.

51. Henry says:

Lowetide: Henry, it’s okay to enjoy watching the games. One day, maybe in our lifetime, we’ll have our own playoff team to cheer for.

I hope I make it. I don’t smoke anymore, but the brown liquor is getting out of hand. You can do it Hallsy!

52. RexLibris says:

Fastest skaters in the draft. It’s kind of a moving target!

Ba-dum-ching! Thank you folks, you’ve been great. I’ll be here all week, try the veal!

53. Hammers says:

Your the man last year who said sign Gags for under $ 5 mill

Hammers: Your the man last year who said sign Gags for under $ 5 mill

55. Hammers says:

I still think you have to partner Gags with our pick or another player . Last time I looked I thought players who got aprox 45-50 points a year were considered desirable . I just don’t see McT giving him up for 2 – 3rd round picks . I would still try to trade down to either NYI or Toronto especially when this pick is going back to junior or the AHL .Not that I want to but If there is no reasonable trade McT may just hang in with Gags for another year to see if there is a bounce back .We all know if no major “D” and “C” are acquired for this season we will be bottom 5-7 again for 2015

Hammers:
    I still think you have to partner Gags with our pick or another player . Last time I looked I thought players who got aprox45-50 points a year were considered desirable . I just don’t see McT giving him up for 2 – 3rd round picks . I would still try to trade down to either NYI or Torontoespecially when this pick is going back to junior or the AHL .Not that I want to but If there is no reasonable trade McT may just hang in with Gags for another year to see if there is a bounce back .We all know if no major “D” and “C” are acquired for this season we will be bottom 5-7 again for 2015

If the Oilers can deal him for Josh Bailey, great! I don’t think they can.

57. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

VanOil: Sportsnet has this info for the Memorial Cup. http://www.powerscouthockey.com had there cameras tracking every game allegedly for Sportnet. It would be nice for a media company to report this info. I suspect Sportnet stats blogger Dellow is hoarding the information in his secret lair.

Corsi and Fenwick and Zones oh my. The advanced stats community is going to be like Moses looking over the promised Land when the teams squirrel away pure measures leaving everyone else to the proxies.

Journalist will be pushing for this info for their articles until this data starts generating accurate game wraps.

58. Ribs says:

Lowetide: Racki: Totally. I get it, and honestly Gagner is one of my favorite Oilers—still! However, where do you put him?

I’d make him play Left Wing.

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Center-Yakupov-Perron
    Gordon-Gagner-Pitlick
    Others

He can battle with Yakupov for second line minutes. No more free lunches. Maybe he’d learn a thing or three from playing with Gordon, as well.

What’s a realistic price tag on Stastny if he shakes loose? Is there a real $6M/yr line in the sand that we can expect the Oilers to be tripping over in the coming years?

59. LostBoy says:

Lowetide: If the Oilers can deal him for Josh Bailey, great! I don’t think they can.

Okay, look, since I don’t understand:

Why is it certain that Gagner will be traded?

Why is it a good idea?

Why does one awful, face-smashed-in, year make it a good idea to sell at the point of least value?

What, exactly, turned this guy from a “Get him signed at a number starting with 4″ to “Trade him for low grade magic beans because obviously just creating a gaping hole at 2C will help”?

I honestly don’t get it. If the concept is that this is a best guess of what MacTavish will actually do, then that’s one thing. But I don’t get how dribbling away another asset in this fashion is justified.

60. Racki says:

Ribs: I’d make him play Left Wing.

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Center-Yakupov-Perron
    Gordon-Gagner-Pitlick
    Others

I honestly wouldn’t mind Gagner there. A lot of people seem to be on the Gagner hate-wagon though and want him gone (not saying anyone here, more observations from elsewhere). I’ve suggested the wing, but many seem to shoot it down as though he can’t play wing because he’ll lose every battle along the boards. Not sure I agree. I would like to see him play his value up, and I think being wing for Gordon with maybe someone else on the right side that has a bit more offensive ability (FA signing) to go with their defense would help.

As far as Stastny.. hard to think they should pay anyone more than the core kids. But it isn’t going to be easy to sign a top notch C without paying for it. “Hi Paul, want to come here for less than you’re current contr… hello?”

LostBoy: Okay, look, since I don’t understand:

Why is it certain that Gagner will be traded?

Why is it a good idea?

I honestly don’t get it.If the concept is that this is a best guess of what MacTavish will actually do, then that’s one thing.But I don’t get how dribbling away another asset in this fashion is justified.

I can see on 2line RW, with a big center, and Perron on LW. Maybe trade Yakupov? Is that better?

62. Racki says:

They should hire that ~slug~ Dustin Penner to play some 3rd line left wing.

Surely he’s tired of being self deprecating. Needs some help … deprecating… himself.

63. OrangeandBlue says:

Do you think that the urgency to trade Gagner comes from the no movement clause that starts in July? I was all in on the trade Gagner idea before, but just hearing the possible returns everywhere makes me wonder if he’d possibly be open to moving during the season if his numbers improve. I still don’t think he fits in long-term, but trading him for so little is starting to make me question the idea of moving him during the offseason.

64. LostBoy says:

OrangeandBlue,

The NTC is only for one year, the 2014-2015 contract year, the 2nd year of the 3 year deal. So all that’s being given up is the possibility to move Gagner in-season without his consent. Whether you get more right now, coming off the season he just had, with two years left at $4.8m, or a year from now with only one year left until UFA is an unknown, but I’d lean strongly toward the latter. He can’t possibly be as bad again unless some other clown puts him on a liquid diet again. He’s actually a pretty good hockey player. Defense is coachable. The current coaching staff don’t seem able to coach it. But defense is a lot more coachable than offense. You normally yearn for 45-50 point 2Cs. As opposed to flush them because I don’t even know, Kassian Eakins Also In Picture, whatever.

65. LostBoy says:

Lowetide: The Oilers need to find a two-way center because they now have Yakupov on RW. A season ago, the club had Ales Hemsky who could play tougher minutes and Eberle who could face them when he was playing with Hall.

I totally agree; I just don’t see the point in flushing Gagner for nothing until that two-way center is acquired or developed.

Is the bottom line really that it’s thought Gagner can’t play C in the NHL? I don’t necessarily disagree in the long run, but given the absence of an obvious alternative I still go to war with him one more time. I still don’t trade him for two third round picks, and I agree that Josh Bailey straight up is right now unlikely (though I’d make that trade if it was available and we have to make a trade at all).

66. Big Dan says:

I am so sick of Oilers like Brodziak, Chimera, Torres, Cogliano get flushed for draft picks or prospects that turn into dust (or letting serviceable players like Reasoner, Hejda, and Glencross go for nothing).

I wouldn’t trade Gagner UNTIL I signed a replacement first. Screw the NTC – he let us down last year and he’ll have to suck it up. I like Arco but I want him on the 4th line with the chance to move up the lineup in case of injuries.

So Grabovski and Kulemin sign in July. Then trade Gagner. But don’t get an itchy finger at the draft, trade him and then show up at camp in September with a big hole in the roster. That’s a Lowe/Tambo specialty. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Remember 2007 when Lowe was SO sure he could sign a replacement for Ryan Smyth. He offered big deals to Vanek, Penner, Souray with that cap space. Then Kariya, Nylander, Hossa, Heatley and the like snubbed us over the next couple of years. Plus Lowe flubbed up that draft royally anyways (if we had picked Perron instead of Plante, the Smyth trade wouldn’t have been a disaster).

If you are going to trade Gagner for Brock Nelson (good 3rd liner), then you still need a 2nd line center. You wait on that deal until you find a 2C in free agency (if you can – remember EDM is not exactly a hot spot).

Or you make a sideways move and trade Gagner for Bailey for the sake of shuffling chairs. Josh Bailey is exactly like Gagner – streaky offensively, lazy defensively, soft physically.

67. sumaclab says:

Gagner must know that his time at center in Edmonton is up. How he responds to to that is another thing.His numbers make it a certainty that he will not play center.

His 4.8 million dollar price tag may also be a sticking point to any deal. Yet I see a team like Nashville without any real option up the middle. The Isles? Chicago/ Kane and Gagner together again. Florida? Pheonix?

There may be a deal to be made but at what price?

Draisatl/Eckblad. need to get 2 picks in this drafts top 10 but how? Eckblad fro me is the keeper.

68. slopitch says:

If the Oilers trade Gagner without either acquiring the upgrade or having something setup its a fail. He may not be that good but he’s 2nd best C on the team and there is no one in the system ready to replace him.

69. Pouzar says:

Future C – Depth Chart:
    Nuge-Drysaddle-Jujar-Yak 2.0

Dare to dream.

70. russ99 says:

Who cares what the Flames do?

Make the pick for what’s best for us, not because we’re scared of who will go off the board later.

Frankly, if Calgary does end up picking Bennett to go with Monahan, they’re limiting their overall ceiling when it comes to offense. And they may be pesky to play against them in a few years, we’ll pretty much consistently outscore them.

I also think if Reinhart is on the board at 4, he’s going to Calgary regardless whoever else is there.