ENTRY DRAFT ’14: OILERS AND THE QMJHL

Last season, the Oilers used the first top 60 pick of the MBS era on a QMJHL prospect. Why? The exceptional quality of the Q 2013 crop warranted it—picking Roy was just good business. Will they do it again?

NHL TOTAL PLAYERS/QMJHL PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 0 from the Q
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 1 from the Q
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 1 from the Q
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 1 from the Q
  • FINAL TALLY: 49 total players, 4 from the Q
  • PERCENTAGE: 8.1%

The Oilers have taken four players from the QMJHL in six seasons, which is one player below league average. That’s a little misleading, though—the club’s first high pick from the Q in this era was Marco Roy.

• 2008: Phil Cornet 133rd overall (Jason Demers was chosen two rounds later)
  • 2009: Olivier Roy 133rd overall (no Q players have emerged taken afterward)
  • 2010: Jeremie Blaine 91st overall (no Q players have emerged taken afterward)
  • 2013: Marco Roy 56th overall (no Q players have emerged taken afterward)

From last year’s post, I identified Roy:

• #20 R Marc-Olivier Roy: Skill winger posted good numbers.

Oilers clearly took him higher than I had him ranked, but it’s good we at least identified the player. I’m interested this season in finding the kids that the analytics department identifies as being valuable. Roy’s the template: Good offense on a good team, not the leader, but he contributes.

• Roy evens in draft year: 65GP, 16-25-41 .631
  • Roy power play in draft year: 65GP, 13-13-26 .400

I don’t know what the line in the sand is in this range, but remain convinced that somewhere in here, some threshold based on points-per-game, quality of team and maybe progression after Christmas, offers us some real insight.

• Roy evens 13-14: 39GP, 8-16-24 .615
  • Roy power play 13-14: 39GP, 5-5-10 .256

Interesting. Despite a dropoff in production, it looks like Roy suffers mostly due to lack of power-play opportunity/production. His even-strength numbers are in the range. I like Roy as a pick, and do think it’s interesting the club hasn’t signed him as a pro yet. It could be that they would prefer the cautious approach—another season in junior—to the Pitlick/Hamilton route taken under the Tambellini regime.

TOP DRAFT ELIGIBLES 2014, QMJHL

1. L Nikolaj Ehlers, Halifax. 49 goals in 63 games. That’s crazy production. The kicker is 55 assists, and that his goal-scoring—29 at even strength, 13 on the power play and seven short-handed—displays his range of skills. In my mind, he’s Jonathan Drouin one year later. Could be wrong, but it seems very similar.
  2. L Ivan Barbashev, Moncton. A solid offensive player, scored 25-43-68 in 48 GP with the Wildcats. He’s a quality playmaker and also has a good shot. I don’t know much about his play away from the puck, but he’s a solid first round pick based on the numbers.
  3. C Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Val d’Or. A two-way center, he’s aggressive and is a good skater. Even-strength numbers suggest a player: 65GP, 18-19-37, that’s very good production for a guy who didn’t appear to be getting an offensive push. The most interesting prospect on this list after Ehlers and Barbashev, he’s not far from Roy’s EV numbers a year ago. Could the Oilers be interested?
  4. C Alexandre Goulet, Charlottetown. A scoring center (66GP, 26-22-48), I like his 21 even-strength goals and his 51% FO percentage. Interesting player, Edmonton may be wise to take him late if available. His EV totals: 66GP, 21-17-38, which is very close to a Roy match. Interesting.
  5. C Daniel Audette, Sherbrooke. Not many fans based on draft projection, not sure why. Draft eligible leads his team in scoring? Good arrow. Draft eligible has 3.29 shots per game? Good arrow. 68GP, 13-24-35 at evens, 68GP, 7-30-37 on the power play. I like him plenty, Audette’s going to get crushed at the draft because he’s 5.08, 177 but this is a really good prospect. A May 1996, either there’s something I’m missing or this is a player.
  6. D Alexis Vanier, Baie-Comeau. Huge defender whose bio will instantly remind some (me) of Samuel Morin from one season ago. Kyle Woodlief: His puckhandling and offensive game are more advanced than Samuel Morin (the gigantic defenseman who went 11th overall to Philadelphia in last June’s draft) at the same stage last season. So, safe to say Vanier is becoming one of this season’s more intriguing packages of size and ability on the blue line. Ended his season in a slump (21GP, 0-5-5 after starting 40GP, 15-16-31) but showed enough to be a first round contender.
  7. R Vaclav Karabacek, Gatineau. Another throwback winger who’ll dig for pucks and has enough skill to cash. He could end up winning that checking role, the guy who can score 12-15 and not kill you 5×5, on the Oilers down the line. 65GP, 15-17-32 at evens.
  8. G Mason McDonald, Charlottetown. I didn’t even know Charlottetown had a team, but their starting goalie is draft eligible. .907SP in the regular season, but has to have been noticed posting a .930SP at the recent U-18 World Juniors. Lanky goalie with quickness according to Elite Prospects.
  9. C Danny Moynihan, Halifax. This is a very interesting prospect. Mooseheads head coach Dominique Ducharme: “(Danny) has a lot of speed, and brings good offence with that speed. He has a complete game.” Over 50% on the dot, his EV numbers (68GP, 8-10-18) aren’t crazy good but I’m not sure how much playing time he was getting—that Mooseheads team is loaded up front.
  10. G Louis-Philippe Guindon, Drummondville. Workhorse goalie had a .905SP this season, which put him just outside the top 10.
  11. L Alexis Pepin, Gatineau. He’s 6.02, 238 and scored some (60GP 17-17-34)—23GP, 9-8-17 after a midseason trade to Gatineau. Future Considerations: Pepin is a hulking two-way winger who uses his size to protect the puck as he drives to the net. He has the shot to capitalize on scoring chances and the strength to win battles and play a physical game. His head for the game currently moves faster than his feet do though. (November 2013)
  12. D Matt Murphy, Halifax. He has size and can move the puck, the boxcars look good and there’s some nice things. He was eligible last season, and was not selected. Woodlief: As much as we like his skating, size and physical play, his decision-making is starting to make us wonder. He makes at least a couple of bonehead passes per game.
  13. C Francis Perron, Rouyn-Noranda. 68GP, 16-39-55 and on the power play 68GP, 3-22-25—meaning he wasn’t delivering a lot at even strength this season (68GP, 10-16-26) for a forward.
  14. D Olivier Leblanc, Saint John. Smooth skating defenseman with some offense (56GP, 7-26-33), he must be a helluva power-play quarterback (56GP, 6-18-24 with the man advantage). No idea if he can play defense.
  15. C Julien Pelletier, Cape Breton. Skill center delivered 67GP, 25-25-50 this season, he’ll need to improve those numbers markedly to be a legit NHL prospect. Skating issues mentioned here and there, his offense is on par with Phil Cornet at the same age. Being a center gives him some extra value, he had 12EV and 11PP goals this season—good in a way, but you’d like better EV performance.
  16. L Julien Nantel, Rouyn-Noranda. Two-way winger scoring at .5 points-per-game in junior, there aren’t a lot of impact players who begin life this way. Still, we don’t know the TOI and his reputation includes some defensive aspects.
  17. C Clark Bishop, Cape Breton.  On line scouting reports talk about work ethic, he appears to be shy of skill. Which is weird, because his offense (56GP, 14-19-33) came on all three disciplines: evens (56GP, 5-15-20), on the power play (56GP, 7-3-10), penalty-kill (56GP, 2-1-3). You don’t expect a lesser-skill prospect to score half of his goals on the power play.
  18. G Julio Billia, Chicoutimi. Starting goalie for his team (.894), was also solid in his U-18 appearance for Canada recently.
  19. D Daniel Walcott, Blaineville-Boisbriand. Puck moving defender, 20-years old, his bio reads like Marc-Andre Bergeron with half the offense.
  20. G Keven Bouchard, Val d’Or. Had an .887SP in a backup role on a strong team.

Last season was a terrific year for the QMJHL, this season may see (15 of the first 60 picks a year ago were from the Q, including Roy) a reduction in players chosen. Still, there are some interesting players. Ehlers and Barbashev are quality, Vanier won’t get past No. 40, and I’d count Aube-Kubel, Goulet, Audette, Karabacek and McDonald as worthwhile investments.

58 Responses to "ENTRY DRAFT ’14: OILERS AND THE QMJHL"

1. Hammers says:

Unless one of these players are still there in the later rounds or McT gets some extra picks I don’t see any from the Q.

Hammers:

I suspect Edmonton will add a second or a third, but if you think about it, the fact that there are vague pockets (or so it appears) and risky picks this year may help. If the Oilers grab Goulet in the fourth round, that might be a really good pick. There’s a lot to like.

3. rickithebear says:

Picks #91; #111; #130; #137; #153; #183 have a 53.3% chance of finding a player.

Slepyshev; Houck; Platzer; Muir; Campbell; Betker; Chase;

I believe they will exceed that!

4. John Chambers says:

The more I read the more bullish I become about this draft. But some players I liked going into the last draft – Mantha, Lazar, Domi – seems similar to the caliber of Virtanen, Perlini, and Barbashev, meaning the only thing the 14 draft really lacks is a MacKinnon / Jones right at the top to create more separation from the 2nd and third rungs.

What does y’all think?

John Chambers:
    The more I read the more bullish I become about this draft. But someplayers I liked going into the last draft – Mantha, Lazar, Domi – seems similar to the caliber of Virtanen, Perlini, and Barbashev, meaning the only thing the 14 draft really lacks is a MacKinnon / Jones right at the top to create more separation from the 2nd and third rungs.

What does y’all think?

Yeah, I’d agree. There’s no explosive player in the draft, no MacKinnon, but there’s a lot of Drouin’s and a Barkov. So, it’s similar. And I do think the second round has some strengths, maybe not 2013 strong, but there will be good players.

6. Gino says:

IMO Gagner’s value is being undervalued here as only a 2nd & 4th round pick and he’s only 24.
    Perron was sent off to the Oilers for a former high 1st overall and a 2nd round pick. Perron had concussion issues and also the tag of poor defensive play.

Gino:

and the $4.8M contract?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Sorry to pop in, drop some self promotion and run, but I have to go feed my friends cats

stop by later. let me know what you think.

9. Gino says:

Although I’m not infatuated with Josh Bailey with the Islanders I think this type of move is possible with them along with a 2nd round pick in the 2015 draft for Gagner. There are deals of this type to be had and it doesn’t need to be just with the Islanders which do have the cap space and his contract isn’t as bad with the cap increasing in the years ahead.

10. John Chambers says:

Gino,

A productive 3rd liner and cap space would be an acceptable return for Gags. That plus signing Grabovski with the saved money would be managerial excellence.

11. John Chambers says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hmm, nice write up.

I read something the other day about NHL players’ prime years, which run between ages 24-31 for forwards, and something like 26-33 for D. From that standpoint, getting someone to run in synch with Hall and Nuge’s cluster is sensible.

The counter argument of ourse is that Kulikov’s ceiling is probably a good #3, right there with Klef and Marincin … Just good all-around D best deployed when supporting a real workhorse. So that’s the question – Ekblad has been a man child amongst boys, whose pedigree suggests a career capable of reaching Prongerdom, but he could just as easily become Gudbrandson, and is that worth the risk?

I have concluded that yes it is worth th risk – nothing anchors a franchise more than a stud defenseman. Not a goalie, not a winger, maybe a two-way centre. Therefore, drafting D with top-10 picks is like drilling for oil – you might come up empty handed just as often, but you may also wind up with the kind o player who can keep you watching meaningful hockey well into May.

Gino:

I’d be fine with that. My idea, trading Gagner for a 2 and a 4, allows the team to spend $4.8M on a two-way C. I prefer Grabovski, others may prefer Legwand, etc.

And I know it must seem like I’m down on Gagner, but I still like him plenty. I just can’t see him as a center on this team.

Romulus Apotheosis:

stop by later. let me know what you think.

Kulikov turned down over $5 million per season with term in Florida. Petry is going to demand rightfully the same contract Kulikov gets.

Eakins is zero for three on handling Russians. Kulikov’s agent might have a chat with Larionov or Belov’s agent before deciding whether he wants to sign a new contract with Edmonton.

That said. I have no problem with Kulikov but he means that you are signing both him and Petry long term at $5.5 million or so.

So I’d prefer Campbell. Or Mike Green.

I think Kulikov is using the leverage of UFA status in two years to convince Tallon to trade him where he wants to go. If it means going to arbitration this year and next, I think Kulikov is fine with that. He is only signing long term for the team of his choosing, IMHO.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

John Chambers,

thanks for reading.

it’s not really a zero-sum game.

for example if Ekblad is there at #3, they could easily take him and still pursue Kulikov (or equivalent).

The point is, Ekblad might turn out as a top pairing D. but, if he does (which is far from guaranteed), he most likely won’t be able to help the team without significant sheltering for a long time.

So, even if they draft him, forgot all about him for 5 years. That’s your Ekblad timeline.

On Kulikov’s ceiling. We don’t know that yet. We do know he IS RIGHT NOW a bona fide NHL #3 who is only 23. So he can go up but over the next 5-8 years will more than likely not go down in performance.

that is what MacT needs. Doesn’t have to be Kulikov, but he needs a capable top 4 (at least) NHL player between 23-28 years old. probably 2 of them.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10,

thanks for reading.

went over the contract dispute with you yesterday.

It’s definitely something to be concerned about.

I couldn’t say if Eakins/Kulikov would get along or not. too speculative to consider.

Campbell would be great too. noted it at the end of my post.

Kulikov isn’t the only answer, I’m open to. The point is simply that he’s an answer and one that might fit needs of both teams…

AND, if we are talking to the Panthers about getting the #1 to get Ekblad… we’re missing the forest for the trees.

godot10,

That’s too much $$$ for Petry.

You need to bring more offence to get that kind of $$$ as an NHL Dman.

You also have a history of over-estimating contracts.

Pretty sure you had Hall and Eberle not signing for less that $50MM over 7 years.

Romulus Apotheosis:

stop by later. let me know what you think.

Dougie Hamilton should be in the same spot as Brodin.

Not a #1, but playing there a lot.

Chara’s most common D partner this year was Hamilton.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m a huge Barbashev fan. One of those players you form an attachment to.

——–
    what’s with the Q and Goalies… that’s a lot of Gs in the top 20 LT.

——–
    what were Barkov’s NHLE’s from last season compared to the top Cs from this season?

——–
    you’ve got a typo in the title for your top 20 list. WHL instead of QMJHL

Romulus Apotheosis:
    godot10,

I’m NOT in favour of trading up. If Ekblad is gone, I’m more than happy with Bennett or Reinhart.

There is a consensus group of three at the top from the variety of list. If one is at three, and there are three players at the top, all three who fill a need, it is pointless to trade.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I’m a huge Barbashev fan. One of those players you form an attachment to.

——–
    what’s with the Q and Goalies… that’s a lot of Gs in the top 20 LT.

——–

——–
    you’ve got a typo in the title for your top 20 list. WHL instead of QMJHL

DESJARDINS’ NHL Equivalencies for 12-13 Forwards

Jonathan Drouin, Halifax (QMJHL) 19-30-49
    Sasha Barkov, Tappere Tampere (SM-Liiga) 18-22-40
    Elias Lindholm, Brynas (SEL) 15-25-40
    Nathan MacKinnon, Halifax (QMJHL) 17-22-39
    Max Domi, London (OHL) 15-18-33
    Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat (WHL) 14-19-33
    Sean Monahan, Ottawa (OHL) 13-20-33
    Anthony Mantha, Val d’or (QMJHL) 17-13-30
    Valeri Nichushkin, Chelyabinsk Traktor (KHL) 20-10-30
    Adam Erne, Quebec (QMJHL) 9-15-24

2014 DRAFT ELIGIBILES NHL EQUIVALENCIES (per 82gp)

Sam Reinhart (WHL) 15-28-43
    Kevin Fiala (SHL) 11-30-41
    Leon Draisaitl (WHL) 15-25-40
    Sam Bennett (OHL) 16-23-39
    Nikolaj Ehlers (QMJHL) 18-20-38
    Robby Fabri (OHL) 19-18-37
    Michael Dal Colle (OHL) 14-21-35
    Nikolai Goldobin (OHL) 14-21-35
    Sonny Milano (USHL) 12-23-35
    Ivan Barbashev (QMJHL) 12-21-33

Woodguy:
    godot10,

That’s too much $$$ for Petry.

You need to bring more offence to get that kind of $$$ as an NHL Dman.

You also have a history of over-estimating contracts.

I was right. Hall’s agent was wrong. Hall left money on the table. Tambellini’s biggest win as a GM.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Dougie Hamilton should be in the same spot as Brodin.

Not a #1, but playing there a lot.

Chara’s most common D partner this year was Hamilton.

the quick proxy I used for “top pairing” was EV TOI/60 (not all-inclusive but a pretty reliable indicator of who the coach feels can carry the load in the trenches)

Hamilton was 5th of D on BOS with >30 gps

in a couple of cases, no doubt, I was somewhat misled. this looks like one of them.

He did indeed play a ton with Chara

but with less severe zone starts and qualcomp.

It’s also unclear if DH gets that role without Seidenberg throwing the rotation out of order with injury.

but, he’s clearly further along than I thought. Thanks for the note.

Woodguy:
    godot10,

That’s too much $$$ for Petry.

You need to bring more offence to get that kind of $$$ as an NHL Dman.

If I’m Petry’s agent, Petry is the #1 defensemen on the Oilers, and Kulikov was #3 at on Florida. Petry has offense but he has been forced to take on the toughest D minutes, something Kulikov hasn’t had to do, even in the weak Eastern Conference.

They are roughly the same player at equivalent points in their career. It is horrible for morale to pay an outsider more than an insider without a clear separation in ability or experience.

If you offer Petry less than Kulikov, you tell Petry he should be selfish and play for points rather than do what is best for the team. In that case, he opts for arbitration to get to UFA status.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Dougie Hamilton should be in the same spot as Brodin.

Not a #1, but playing there a lot.

Chara’s most common D partner this year was Hamilton.

thanks for the tip. updated the post.

godot10: I’m NOT in favour of trading up.If Ekblad is gone, I’m more than happy with Bennett or Reinhart.

There is a consensus group of three at the top from the variety of list.If one is at three, and there are three players at the top, all three who fill a need, it is pointless to trade.

I think the appeal of the trade must be the novelty of having a #1 and/or some serious failure to understand how far away Ekblad probably is from helping the team (esp. one with such a young blue line) win NOW.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Gack, thanks for pointing out the typo. Q goalies? I had a difficult time finding forwards, but there were a few interesting goalies. I actually left a couple on the sidelines.

DESJARDINS’ NHL Equivalencies for 12-13 Forwards

Jonathan Drouin, Halifax (QMJHL)19-30-49 Sasha Barkov, Tappere Tampere (SM-Liiga) 18-22-40 Elias Lindholm, Brynas (SEL) 15-25-40 Nathan MacKinnon, Halifax (QMJHL) 17-22-39 Max Domi, London (OHL) 15-18-33 Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat (WHL) 14-19-33 Sean Monahan, Ottawa (OHL) 13-20-33 Anthony Mantha, Val d’or (QMJHL) 17-13-30 Valeri Nichushkin, Chelyabinsk Traktor (KHL) 20-10-30 Adam Erne, Quebec (QMJHL) 9-15-24

2014 DRAFT ELIGIBILES NHL EQUIVALENCIES (per 82gp)

Sam Reinhart (WHL) 15-28-43 Kevin Fiala (SHL) 11-30-41 Leon Draisaitl (WHL) 15-25-40 Sam Bennett (OHL) 16-23-39 Nikolaj Ehlers (QMJHL) 18-20-38 Robby Fabri (OHL) 19-18-37 Michael Dal Colle (OHL) 14-21-35 Nikolai Goldobin (OHL) 14-21-35 Sonny Milano (USHL) 12-23-35 Ivan Barbashev (QMJHL) 12-21-33

thanks for posting this side by side.

Man, I like that Barkov. And, he’s at the young end of his draft year. Sure makes you wonder.

Interesting that MacKinnon (who looks one year on like a slam dunk of a #1) doesn’t look as rosy by the GD NHLEs and would look even worse with Vollman’s weighting system.

I wonder if in 4 more years that will show up.

26. spoiler says:

17. C Clark Bishop, Cape Breton. On line scouting reports talk about work ethic, he appears to be shy of skill. Which is weird, because his offense (56GP, 14-19-33) came on all three disciplines: evens (56GP, 5-15-20), on the power play (56GP, 7-3-10), penalty-kill (56GP, 2-1-3). You don’t expect a lesser-skill prospect to score half of his goals on the power play.

This is a tough kid to figure out. His PP numbers read like a guy who does a lot of standing in front of the net, but he’s not big and his game relies on skating. Think I am going to have to pull some youtube to drill down on his skills more.

We do know from Neate Sager’s article that the coach does rely on him to play all three disciplines.

27. Caramel Obvious says:

godot10: I was right.Hall’s agent was wrong.Hall left money on the table.Tambellini’s biggest win as a GM.

spoiler:
    17. C Clark Bishop, Cape Breton.On line scouting reports talk about work ethic, he appears to be shy of skill. Which is weird, because his offense (56GP, 14-19-33) came on all three disciplines: evens (56GP, 5-15-20), on the power play (56GP, 7-3-10), penalty-kill (56GP, 2-1-3). You don’t expect a lesser-skill prospect to score half of his goals on the power play.

This is a tough kid to figure out.His PP numbers read like a guy who does a lot of standing in front of the net, but he’s not big and his game relies on skating.Think I am going to have to pull some youtube to drill down on his skills more.

Hysterical.

I’ll give you this. You’re a better troll than DSF.

Caramel Obvious:
    Hysterical.

I’ll give you this.You’re a better troll than DSF.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: SpOIler isn’t a troll, he’s a friend, and extremely knowledgeable about the draft.

That CO post makes no sense.

I think he’s calling out Godot and accidentally quoted from Spoiler at the same time.

Otherwise, mixing Spoiler and Godot’s posts is the act of a disturbed mind (maybe).

30. John Chambers says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I get the the need to urgently fix the D, preferably with a player who is near fully developed and entering his prime. I’m not convinced Kulikov obtainable for anything less than someone I wouldn’t be willing to give up for him.

Florida is a tough trade partner because they want to get over the hump right away as well. I would be targeting one of the many teams in post-playoff exit turmoil to see if a quality D can be had for a package that included Gags, 15′s 1st, or Klefbom (who I’m more apt to trade for immediate help than Marincin).

Love the thought of Letang or Phaneuf along with a an FA signing like Nikitin or Fayne. If they accomplished that by July 10th while drafting Ekblad I would smile all summer long.

31. Caramel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That CO post makes no sense.

Yeah, I quoted Godot and the software bundled in the Spoiler post (which wasn’t even there when I posted).

32. VanOil says:

I hope it is Ekblad that falls to Calgary. He has the highest ‘bust’ potential of any of the top draft picks and the longest likely time line if he does reach his potential. I would rather waste the ‘Hall years’ watching him walk around Ekblad than waiting for Ekblad to develop.

I have enjoyed the Oil Kings playoff run and the Memorial Cup. No player has left his mark on tournament like MacKinnon did last year. He was so dominant and ended all debate on who was the #1 pick.

33. PunjabiOil says:

Never viewed Godot as a troll. He supports his arguments well. He isn’t DSF.

He just isn’t.

I’m in favour of Gagner for Colin Wilson. the 2nd round picks will not help us now, if ever. Need to get tangible NHL players who have an ability to contribute in a meaningful way on October 1, 2014.

I understand that cap space is valuable – but giving up Gagner for 40 cents on the dollar isn’t it. The Oilers can find other way to obtain savings. They’re not really in a cap crunch so moving Gagner for a 15% shot at an NHL player isn’t something i support.

34. striker says:

Wooo, Oil Kings tie it up

35. striker says:

I mean take the lead :P

For the record, I don’t view Godot as a troll either. Hardheaded? If we banned all the hardheaded people from this blog, I couldn’t visit!!!

37. Deadman Waiting says:

something like 26-33 for D

Yeah, and typically six of those years are post-UFA for any prospect who achieves first-pair studliness in five years or less.

One or two kicks of the can (or a Lander two-step) and you’ve just invested your entire undergraduate years in buying expensive steak dinners in return for hugs and pecks, then she’s off to graduate school (big city, bright lights) as a mature, self-possessed sexual being—where some lucky chump won’t know what hit him.

* * *

End of a busy day, Craig ducks into the men’s room to lighten the load. He seats himself, and immediately notices some important-looking writing on the cubical door:

For a good time, send

Here he briefly pauses … toooo … adjust his bifocals.

a stamped, self-addressed
    envelope to Debbie Destiny
    PO Box 2636, Nantucket, Iowa

“Good thing I keep a pen in my sock” he thinks to himself, as he fishes it out through his striped boxers.

“Dear Debbie,” he begins in a hurried hand, before chewwwwing thoughtfully on the pen cap.

We have it on good authority that you are faithful, frisky, and fun loving. Brook no delay. Hot tub thermostat badly jammed. Your friends in need, Dallas and Craig

“Damn it, even my kneecaps are sprouting grey hairs,” he thinks to himself as he slides his pen into his sock. “And now to zip it quick and off it goes,” he mulls half vacuously—over a throaty, cacophonous whoosh—as he snugs his trousers clear and free with the practiced, brisk precision of a battle-hardened senior executive accustomed to expeditious results.

beautiful. Ever better than that. Perfect. Especially the sex stuff at the top.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

John Chambers:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

The reason Florida and Kulikov is precisely because Tallon is always game for a dance, loves to talk to the press (more than davidson? close, at any rate) and has had a Jones to off-load Kulikov since Oct.

Kulikov is an expiring RFA, so the price, by definition has to be below market — given the circumstances.

——–
    On the FA front, there are better options than Nikitin. But, I completely agree, don’t be afraid to look at the UFA market MacT.

Deadman Waiting,

this is, indeed, your best work yet. damn undergrad harlots!

40. spoiler says:

Deadman Waiting: envelope to Debbie Destiny

PO Box 2636, Nantucket, Iowa

Right down to the PO box to 69? Etc. Deliciously evil.

41. VanOil says:

I believe DMW has conclusively proven that the Oilers off season plan is a dirty limerick.

42. One-Timer says:

Oil Kings outgunning Guelph 35-22 after 2, and Moroz with a sniper’s goal to make it 4-2. GOILKINGS!

DMW, I thought girls like that ate a lot more chicken salad than steak. She shouldn’t cost you an absolute fortune…

43. Rebilled says:

That Guelph goalie looked shocked at the end of that period.

44. Rondo says:

45. VanOil says:

Rondo:

I only read LT for the song recommendations.

Kulda is playing himself into the 2014 draft, the question is where does he go?

47. PunjabiOil says:

Only reason Oilers traded their #37 pick 2013 was Montreal took Zachary Fucale #36th .

Meh, he’s a very suspect prospect.

48. LMHF#1 says:

Perfect game from the Oil Kings. Never stopped forechecking. Samuelsson is the man.

49. striker says:

Kulda is playing himself into the 2014 draft, the question is where does he go?

Do you know where Kulda is ranked approximately on the various draft lists like BobMacks or Pronmans’?

50. VanOil says:

Congratulations Oil Kings 2014 Memorial Cup Champions.

Kudla will get drafted. I would guess mid to late second round. Hard not to route for a kid with his personality.

51. One-Timer says:

Hell of a year to be sent back to junior…
    What a season by the Oil Kings!

52. One-Timer says:

Mitch Moroz with the game-winner in the MC final. That’s got a nice ring to it. The game belonged to Samuelsson, though. PHX must be pretty happy with that pick.

53. flyfish1168 says:

Watched all the WHL finals and the memorial cup games and I believe the Winterhawks is the 2nd best CHL team and not Guelph. Not enough western exposure to the eastern reporters. JMHO

54. spoiler says:

seeing the Pelss jersey out there nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Kulda is playing himself into the 2014 draft, the question is where does he go?

This is a tough call. And talk about a tournament of small sample sizes. Damien Cox liked him… which scares the living Nantucket out of me.

55. One-Timer says:

Kulda is playing himself into the 2014 draft, the question is where does he go?

The MVP trophy doesn’t hurt his chances either.

spoiler:
    seeing the Pelss jersey out there nearly brought a tear to my eye.

lol. Well, THOSE three sentences are the scouting report. :-)

57. PeOiler says:

Goulet was a great surprise last year. Wasn’t a sure thing to even make the team, but ended up in a feature role on the top line.

MacDonald (who was acquired after Bibeau was traded away to Val d’Or) has played so well that the Islanders are now looking to trade Brassard, their 1b goalie.