HAMMERING NAIL

As we look forward to a summer of activity by the Edmonton Oilers, I think one of the key areas might be communication. Nail Yakupov was a rookie two years ago, Dallas Eakins went through the experience this year. Maybe they’ll never click, maybe Yakupov will score 30 goals a year in another NHL city. I keep coming back to Eakins being a bright guy, and understanding that people with Yak’s God-given skills don’t come along every day.

It seems to me a smart coach would understand what he has, make allowances for the shortfalls of the kid, and put him in a position to succeed. That’s always the way of successful teams, isn’t it obvious? Unless there’s something I’m missing, this Oilers team should spend part of the offseason:

• formulating ways to feature Yakupov more on the power play
  • finding him a center who is suitable, like Horcoff was for Hall and Eberle when they were kids
  • understanding his limitations without the puck are because of inexperience and not being familiar, as opposed to laziness or a stubborn way.

The deeper I get into this spring, the more I wonder about Dallas Eakins and Nail Yakupov. They may never be tight, but they sure as hell need each other. I think the coach needs to find a way to make Nail Yakupov a bigger part of the team.

Even with his imperfections. Dallas Eakins’ career in Edmonton may depend on it.

61 Responses to "HAMMERING NAIL"

1. Gordies Elbow says:

Dallas Eakins is stubborn. If he doesn’t get a handle on it, it’ll be his undoing.

That said – Yak was on pace for a 29 goal season as a rookie (lockout shortened, of course.) Took a huge step back as a sophmore.

Soft minutes, PP time, lots of communication with the coaching staff, and “bob’s your uncle.”

Isn’t that how teams like Detroit would have done it?

2. blainer says:

Just noted this over on the nation. Assuming Ekblad goes to Florida I expect Buffalo to take Bennett. Could Eakins then Run a sheltered mins third line of say Kulemin Reinhart and Yak? Kulemin would really push the Corsi in the right direction and then Reinhart feeding Yak the one timer…If Reinhart can put on 15 Pounds before camp he would be close on 6’1 200 ..that’s decent size..hoefully Yak gets a bit stronger also..

3. delooper says:

The problem with the Oilers is they have too many soft wingers and centres that need deluxe minutes to perform. They’ve got a shortage of deluxe minutes. As a coach it must feel like “do I want to see Yakupov succeed, or do I want our team to have a chance at winning?” I don’t really see it as a coaching problem, its more MacTavish’s problem.

Grabovski is such a perfect fit for the Oilers and Yak as 2C.

Skilled, makes a pass, takes a pass and know how to play without the puck.

Horcoff, but with much more skill.

It’s been said the Kulimen and Grabbo want to go somewhere together.

Grabbo with Perron and Yak and Kuli with playing on the shut down line would work very well.

In Gord’s name we pray.

5. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

Dammit WG – there you go, getting my hopes up. Of all the off-season possibilities, that makes so much sense, which makes me mutter under my breath, ‘because Oilers….’ (just for you, Icecastles!).

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gordies Elbow:

Isn’t that how teams like Detroit would have done it?

I think we need to acclimatize ourselves to two simple truths.

1. Yak’s regression (sh%) was coming regardless of the coach. he wasn’t on pace for that many goals last year without a small sample size, unsustainable shooting and streaky play (there were long gaps of no scoring last year that evaporate from our memory).

Structurally, Yak was given roughly the same of everything this year as last (EV TOI; PP TOI; zone starts; linemates; etc.)

Take “communication btw player, coach and–fuck you–agent” and “public reaction/emotion” out of it, and we are looking at Huberdeau or Galchenyuk’s season. Both had something of a sophomore slump.

2. bracket off the actual hockey, and look at just the communication and the public reaction/emotion… and that’s your problem.

And, it’s a big one.

Point being, we need to recognize that this is really not a hockey problem primarily.

Or, rather, even if we removed all the hi-jinx and relations were peachy the same issue of trying to mold Yak into an NHL player would remain.

When we say “Yak is a problem” — we need to be clear about what we mean.

(I’m sure this lacks a fair amount of clarity, sorry, a bit rambly).

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

blainer:
    Just noted this over onthe nation. Assuming Ekblad goes to Florida I expect Buffalo to take Bennett. Could Eakins then Run a sheltered mins third line of say Kulemin Reinhart and Yak? Kulemin would really push the Corsi in the right direction andthen Reinhart feeding Yak the one timer…If Reinhart can put on 15 Pounds before camp he would be close on 6’1 200 ..that’s decent size..hoefully Yak gets a bit stronger also..

I don’t care if it’s Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart or Draisaitl… send the damn kid back to junior.

The alternative is madness.

8. D says:

Yakupov fan here – so my comment is clearly biased. I don’t believe Nail needs Eakins as much as Eakins needs Nail.

9. DeadmanWaking says:

As I construed the pressers, it was pretty clear that Dallas devoted more of his all-too-finite resources on Yakupov than any other player on the team–from the early chaos, all the way through the post-Olympic tranquility lagoon. I’m not seeing anything here that’s news to Dallas Eakins.

I personally remain sold on fitting Yakupov into the team, than shaping the team around special talent/special requirement. One support I fully endorse is Yak playing in front of a calm-and-collected legitimate 1D.

We’ve already suffered through the short-term liability side of Eakins’ stubbornness. It would be spiting fate to now bail out before we see whether this bitter fruit ripens into a succulent melon.

10. blainer says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That may be the right thing to do and I really feel if they draft Bennett he has to go back to junior as he is a lot younger. As for Reinhart he may end up like McKinnon and be rookie of the year or he may not be ready. Give him the training camp and the nine games and see how he handles the pro’s. There is a lot of work to do for MacT. The way I see it he has 8 spots to fill and that is why I think we are playing our first rounder this year. As for Eakins..he will make it.. if the goalies have a 928% save percentage he will be a coach of the year candidate.. whichever team has a goalie with the top save% always has a coach of the possibility.

11. Racki says:

Yakupov will have a much longer career as an Oiler than Eakins.. well, at least he should, so Eakins has to do everything to get Yak going. If it comes down to coach and player not working well together, guess who loses, Dallas?

Anyways, let’s hope it’s just the sophomore jinx.

12. Gordies Elbow says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Agree entirely.

Yak’s a talent, no question. Personally, I think he and his coach need to find the common ground. Happens, more often than people believe. I wouldn’t be shocked to hear the head coach singing Yakupov’s praises during the upcoming season.

These two, Eakins and Yakupov, both depend on each other for their future. Neither has a history of backing down, and both don’t like to lose.

I think they’ll find the common ground.

13. Barcs says:

Woodguy:
    Grabovski is such a perfect fit for the Oilers and Yak as 2C.

Skilled, makes a pass, takes a pass and know how to play without the puck.

Horcoff, but with much more skill.

It’s been said the Kulimen and Grabbo want to go somewhere together.

In Gord’s name we pray.

I couldn’t agree more. This would be such a great fit that I’m sure the Oilers won’t even consider it.

Sigh.

14. Racki says:

Woodguy:
    Grabovski is such a perfect fit for the Oilers and Yak as 2C.

Skilled, makes a pass, takes a pass and know how to play without the puck.

Horcoff, but with much more skill.

It’s been said the Kulimen and Grabbo want to go somewhere together.

In Gord’s name we pray.

Can someone tell Bob Stauffer or Jim Matheson so that they can repeat it enough times on radio/print for the Oilers to catch on?

15. kooler says:

Is Dubnyk one injury from being in the playoffs?

I don’t see much, if any, brightness in Eakins. Intelligent people are able to adapt, to adjust, to accommodate difference with a team concept, to recognize weaknesses quickly. Eakins best skill is the ability to sell himself as a competent coach.

Kulemin isn’t going to sign on to play with Gordon when he can sign on to play with Malkin.

When Kulemin and Grabovski say they are coming as a package, they are saying they are coming to player together on the same line.

18. Ducey says:

The Yak – Eakins thing is overblown.

Would Hitchcock, Babcock, or 80%of coaches tried to fix Yak? I think so. You need to play defence to earn your time on most teams.

An 80′s Sather would have ripped him regularly. Privately and publicly.

godot10:
    I don’t see much, if any, brightness in Eakins.Intelligent people are able to adapt, to adjust, to accommodate difference with a team concept, to recognize weaknesses quickly.Eakins best skill is the ability to sell himself as a competent coach.

Can’t agree. Bright people can be stubborn asses just like me. :-)

Ducey:
    The Yak – Eakins thing is overblown.

Would Hitchcock, Babcock, or 80%of coachestried to fix Yak? I think so. You need to play defence to earn your time on most teams.

An 80′s Sather would have ripped him regularly. Privately and publicly.

You can “fix” a player without alienating the player. Eakins basic “fixing” tools are bullying and shaming. Neanderthal stuff.

21. sliderule says:

godot10,

I second this opinion.

22. Racki says:

godot10: You can “fix” a player without alienating the player.Eakins basic“fixing” tools are bullying and shaming.Neanderthal stuff.

So he shot lights out last year, and this year he’s lower than I’d like him to be – I think he was just over nine or somewhere around the nine range, I can’t remember the exact number – so his feeling that he can’t score, what he was used to last year was actually not sustainable. I explained that to him and I think at the end of the conversation he got a little looser and got to feel better about himself on the goal-scoring front.

23. sumaclab says:

Romulus the biggest issue with Yaks play was that Gagner lost his mojo. Losing half your face does that just you to know. No stat could have applied to Gagners failure to return to form this past season because of the facial injury. Eakins had the pleasure of having 2 players struggling on one line.Even separated they still struggled individually.

Gagner gets a mulligan and for me gets a stern warning going into next season regarding his defensive zone coverage.

OATS is out of work. It would behoove us not to bring on him as an assistant coach to help Eakins.

24. sliderule says:

Ducey,

Fixing Yak doesn’t mean putting the game on him for a turnover in the post game scrum.

This is after Yak gets taken down from behind suffers a concussion and as a result turns over the puck in the offensive zone.This is the safest zone to turn over the puck as you have to go about 140 ft to make something out of it.The genius coach thinks this is the reason they lost the game and publicly scapegoats Yak for it.

If Eakins isn’t gone before December expect a big lineup of players wanting to get away from him.

Racki: Holy hell, this Eakins quote of Yakupov is just cruel and demeaning! Grab the pitchfork, everyone!

This is Eakins in “cover-his-a##” mode. It’s not my fault. Everything is fine.

Just like saying a high PDO with a collapsing Corsi for the last quarter of the season meant that the team was on the right track.

And remember, the systems that led to that collapsing Corsi is the plan for the start of next season.

Krueger benched Yakupov a lot early in the shortened season. Didn’t play him in third periods. Did he alienate the player?

He had a plan for the player that the player understood.

Why didn’t you give the Yakupov quote about him saying they want me to go out and hit somebody every shift?

No. You give “Eakins-as-salesman” for why he isn’t a failure as a coach quote.

MacT, in his post-season presser, said the locker room was chaos for the first few months of the season. A whole lot of shaming and bullying going on in there I expect. After the water bottle incident, the players seemed to suggest that it was just Eakins being Eakins.

We caught a glimpse of the real person behind the salesman.

26. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

Oilers could have grabbed Grabovski of waivers last summer, and then traded Gagner at his peak for a defender, say Kulikov (going with LT’s article at ON). Missed opportunities coupled with lack of vision are killing this team.

Now they will sell low on Gagner and who knows if Grabovski would join this clown show.

27. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

godot10: After the water bottle incident, the players seemed to suggest that it was just Eakins being Eakins.

We caught a glimpse of the real person behind the salesman.

Betchya Eakins can do a mean Bogart impression with ball bearings.

28. flyfish1168 says:

Its good to put people or players in a position to succeed. But YOU NEED TO MEAN IT. Eakins lip service didn’t show he meant it or wanted too. Comments to the media suggest he didn’t want too. We all have our weakness and Nail’s has been front and center pointed out by his coach. I just would like eakins to comment on his own weaknesses. I’m curious if he is to arrogant too come right out and state what he did wrong and his own weaknesses. This would help him and his relationship with the team and Nail.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sumaclab:

I think Gagner had an effect. But the “biggest issue”… stretch IMO.

They weren’t helping each other and they played together a lot:

If you go down all the stats on Yak year to year… the one number that sticks out is SH%. Gagner didn’t effect that.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: This is Eakins in “cover-his-a##” mode. It’s not my fault. Everything is fine.

this is you in “cover-my-a##” mode

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Sometimes this blog defaults into lazy, lazy analysis.

Seriously. All this character oriented stuff is so speculative and overblown.

We might as well say “Yak didn’t want it enough this year” and “Eakins can’t deliver a hollywood caliber intermission speech”

32. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Sticking to the my Caine reference my favorite silly narrative this year was Bucky as Fred MacMurray.

That’s the problem with all narratives. Whether it’s Eakins presenting on arrival like a latter day Queeg. Or others presenting that he fills the whole role. Without Jose Ferrer to shed light it’s all just narrative. #becauseCaine

gcw_rocks:
    Woodguy,

Oilers could have grabbed Grabovski of waivers last summer, and then traded Gagner at his peak for a defender, say Kulikov (going with LT’s article at ON).Missed opportunities coupled with lack of vision are killing this team.

I would have liked Grabbo off waviers.

He was $5.5MM which is a bit steep, but not awful.

Was singed until he was 33.

Was almost perfect.

Oilers could have had Grabbo at $5.5 and instead have Gagner at $4.8.

Man.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: Bucky as Fred MacMurray.

In Double Indemnity?

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brock Otten has started his countdown:

(LT can you get this guy on? — can’t recall if you have already)

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Brock Otten has started his countdown:

(LT can you get this guy on? — can’t recall if you have already)

Several times, including recently.

38. Chunklets says:

Sovsport talked to Igor Larionov recently, and there was a bit of discussion about Yakupov. Here’s the Google Translated version:

Money quote: “I see Yakupov’s potential, [and] it can be revealed in Edmonton.” Now, Larionov is Yak’s agent and all, but that seemed like an encouraging sort of quote to me!

39. VOR says:

The thing is the difference between sensational superstar and draft bust is much smaller than it might seem. That Nail Yakupov’s year went the way it did may be a far bigger tell than anyone is recognizing.

A healthy Gagner probably wasn’t enough to turn Nail into a superstar this year. But the importance of chemistry, as hard as it is to quantify, has a role to play in determining on ice outcomes. Last season it seemed that Gagner was one of the few Oilers who could figure out how to play with and how to use Nail Yakupov. Sometimes all a great young kid needs is somebody who gets him, somebody who will stand up to the coach and management and say get off the kid’s back and let him play.

Once upon a time all it took was two veterans who had played together for half their lives to transform not one, not two, but three young men into superstars. It happened, or perhaps I should say began to happen one impossible night, when the two veterans ended up each babysitting different players but on the ice together. What would only become clear later was the two veteran pros weren’t just baby-sitting, they had stood up to a rather tyrannical GM and a head strong coach and said get off the kids backs. For their sins they ended up dragging these boat anchors around the ice that night. Of course retroactively the coach would accept full responsibility for his brilliant decision.

The back story of how the two veterans met is the stuff of legends. The puck rushing defenceman was spotted by a junior scout playing in a high school pick up game. Two years later he was the Captain of a major junior hockey team, a job he got because this great team had a coach who was a bully. The story goes that the dman, two years into organized hockey, explained in simple terms that the next time the coach bullied one of the team he was going to need surgery to remove a hockey stick from his ass. Apparently the coach, partly because once the fuse was lit the entire team joined the revolution, was scared to death of the oddly intense young man.

The resident superstar of that team was a center who played a bit like Sam Bennett. He worked his butt off at both ends of the ice. From the time they met these two guys bonded even before the hockey stick incident. They moved up together through junior, the CHL, the AHL, and then climbed up the roster of their NHL team on merit. One was 23, the other 25 the first time they won a Stanley Cup together. One won the Conn Smythe trophy the other was probably second in the balloting, or should have been. They brought it when it mattered most.

Then their careers took wildly different paths. The center, type cast as a checker in the NHL, emerged as a star scorer and the defenceman, the puck rushing wizard, started suffering a long series of horrible injuries. He broke both legs, one twice, one in five places, and he also broke both ankles. His career was clearly over since he could no longer skate. But he was one stubborn son of bitch and worked like mad to remake himself as a defensive defenceman, which was, given he now turned about as well as the titanic, his only option.

The night in question these two vets were re-united. The poor center demoted back down the lineup to try to center not one but two forwards who had no idea how to play NHL hockey, two draft busts he had begun to develop real chemistry with – thought only in limited ice time and practice. The broken down d-man was busy holding the hand of a young man who couldn’t be considered a draft bust because he just didn’t go that high in the draft. On the other hand he had torn the AHL up and management was a little disturbed to discover he handled the puck like a hand grenade and considered defence everybody else’s job. Management at every level, not to mention an insane fan base, had piled on the three kids. Nobody wanted to play with them. Their only friends were the two veterans, who were sure the kids would be all right.

Early in what I believe was the first home game of that famous season, the goalie, himself returning after a year long absence made a routine save look very difficult and only the two veterans were close enough to do anything about the juicy rebound. They were right where they were supposed to be. The left winger was behind the net, the left defenceman nearly to center ice, the right winger over center ice.

The wise old D-man picked off the bouncing rebound and made the same play he had made a thousand times, short crisp pass to the center, he didn’t have to look to know where his friend was. The crafty center really only had one play, tape to tape to the LD. For a change the kid made the right play, tape to tape to the streaking right winger, who then had the puck die on his stick. He tried to deke the one man back instead of paying the price and going to the net. Too bloody pretty. That gave the other team time to regroup and left him with no play but a mid air pass across the front of the net to nobody.

There the story would end except that improbable as it might seem the left winger, looking remarkably like he was running in place, had shot up the ice and tapped the puck out of mid-air and into the net. That is the night 18 and 25 somehow became part of the most feared five man unit hockey will probably ever see. If you were diagramming that play it went 29, 18, 25, 19, 10, 22. That night, when even die hard fans had given up on Lafleur, Shutt, and Robinson, two veterans put their money where their mouths were and showed their management that the kids were all right.

You probably all know about the six Stanley Cups that followed but think about the remarkable post playing careers of Serge Savard and Jacques Lemaire. They both claim the path to those careers opened up the night they took three kids under their wings and created a dynasty. Now I ask you, is their anybody on the Oilers team telling management to leave Nail Yakupov alone, anybody who could step on the ice with him and change hockey history? If there isn’t, and I’d say that obvious there isn’t, (imagining Oilers management tolerating someone like Serge the Senator Savard is impossible) then the problem isn’t Nail Yakupov, it is his team mates and his management.

Lest you think this sort of thing doesn’t matter, that having yapping veterans who standup to coaches and management and defend their younger teammates only counts if those guys are Lemaire and Savard consider 2006. Yeah, CFP gets the headlines, and deserves them, but I think perhaps mouthy little Mike Peca might possibly have made a difference as well. I know Stoll, Torres, Reasoner, Horcoff, Pisani, and Hemsky would all say he did (I’m guessing even MacT would begrudgingly admit it).

Maybe if he hadn’t gotten hurt Gagner would have been Nail’s Mike Peca. In which case, God we really don’t want to trade Gagner away because this is a team without the yappy voice that would make Eakins a better coach and this a much better team. The fact not a single veteran came forward to tell the press, the fans, and management, “hey the kid will be all right” may be the single worst thing about this terrible year.

40. Zangetsu says:

IMO, the rebuild lives or dies based on the handling of yakupov. They need to handle him appropriately. He was thrown to the wolves last year.

41. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy,

Is it reasonable to conclude Toronto would have added a sweetener to any team who would have taken Grabbo’s contract off their hands, obviating the need for them to spend, what, almost $15 MM on the buyout?

29 teams happily let Toronto bite that bullet, but one wonders what might have been. Even without cap consequences, $15 MM ain’t chump change, even to MLSE.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Several times, including recently.

excellent.

either missed them, or forgot (I have a terrible memory… and missed about 2 weeks of shows recently)

at any rate, good to hear he’s on your rolodex. looking forward to his next booking.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Woodguy,

How many teams bought into the narrative Toronto had on the player?

I think more than a few.

One thing that strikes me about NHL decision makers more and more is that a lot of these guys think alike and seems to trust the judgment of their peers too much, esp. on issues of character.

Romulus Apotheosis: excellent.

Never fear, we’ll have him on again. AND you’re allowed to miss the show. :-)

45. Hammers says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing RNH / Hall / Yak as a line and let Perron & Eberle play with ???(new center) . Problem is , will that be this years first pick , a UFA or from a trade of some kind . Sometimes I wish the draft was after free agency and not the other way around . Are any of the first 3 centers as good as McKinnon or the next tier that played this year ? The player picked should go back for 1 more year if there not sure and or there is no benefit to the player picked actually improving . Hey maybe McT can trade Gags for another center before the draft . Wishful thinking.

46. Caramel Obvious says:

godot10,

You are a complete and total idiot.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Sometimes this blog defaults into lazy, lazy analysis.

Seriously. All this character oriented stuff is so speculative and overblown.

This is obviously true. The only change is to say that the commentariat of this blog has degenerated to where lazy analysis is almost all that is left. Godot is merely the most relentless but his type have become the default persona.

47. VanOil says:

Caramel Obvious: commentariat of this blog has degenerated to where lazy analysis is almost all that is left is type have become the default persona

Losing has a toxicity all it own. It grows with repeated exposure. Blame the disease not the symptoms. Winning is the cure and Yak could be the medicine. But that is lazy analysis on my part, so I guess you are right.

48. anonymous says:

In my opinion coaching is definitely the problem. Whether Eakins corrects this wii be known early in the season. Yakupov under Eakins plays like a deer in the headlights. Constant benchings and demotions have him playing too tentatively. To a player who doesn’t command the language, plays a role unfamiliar to him this is probably a lot harder on him than it would be many players.

Eakins is a product of the eastern media. A closer look at his resume shows this. Destroyed the Marlies power play for the duration and the team was loaded with veterans. There were many minor league candidates with better resumes. Don’t know why Mact went with him? Maybe his time at TSN influenced this.

49. lance says:

Lazy analysis. Like saying of all the posters Captain Obvious is the one I would be least interested to meet. The most self righteous of the self righteous. Is that what you mean with your constantly offensive perspective?

Vor, I love you. Or is that lazy too? It’s hard to keep the accepted adjectives clear when my background is in math instead of vernacular ad hominems.

Analysis. In my alma mater the analytics were separated by physical structure. Math physics and chem in one building; econ, psych and soc in another. Or at least the buildings tried to keep the analytics straight. Sometimes the softer sciences tried to creep over but only rarely did they even get near enough for us to see them on our lawn.

Out here, past the view from the ivory tower, the line is a bit more blurry. No longer safe in the world where a right answer is even possible, analysis has only grey shaded opportunity, especially when people are included. While I long for analytics to actually resemble science rather than sociology (until we have puck and skaters tracked and trajectories and shot quality makes corgis into dinosaurs) all our analysis is subjective and speculative and hardly anything remotely concrete. It all so far belongs no where near my lawn. What is most insufferable is the jackhole oblivious thinking his analysis belongs in some special world of the elites then he actually has the audacity to name call Godot for doing the same.

However, this is really about Nail. Normally, while laying awake I’ve ditched the idea of posting on the thread at all. My last was before shooting film in a park and I’ve kinda sworn off since then. TMI that night maybe. But VOR got me back in with the story of the fab five or four or six. I’m too young to know about them from memory and the phone makes review difficult especially mid post.

The analytics of a bust, from the soft side of science must necessarily be rife with speculation. Did Eberle just look him off again? Who really is one of Ricki’s north south players? (Ricki I love you too, amazing basically every time) and could they turn the tide on this young dynamo’s career? If the oilers got the right Slavic pivot could Nail pot 50 in 82?

Honestly, my analytics say no way. Not only is the name not like grabbo, to my eye there is no centre who can turn Nail into anything because this iron fisted regime has no understanding or organics.

Beyond organic chemistry is a world of dynamic evolution. 3D calc is pretty weird and that is where undergrad ends. Grad school is where time enters equations and real madness begins. Beyond those hallowed walls is a world where organics actually happen.

In the biology department they tried to control many variables but never actually could. It was random madness where ocassionally they did something recognizeBle and reproducible. Usually not. And this is the Kevin Lowe model of management. Force the variables to constrain to specific proportions. It’s a bit like Augustine’s writing pre conversion. Or at least his recount of it. Take a multi dimensional world and analyze one element then call it scholarship from a grand place of knowing.

And I do think klo had a plan. Greene became Vish who became Whitney who broke. How smart would he look with a 1D? We have pages of analytics on that. However, the plan hit a rut and he doesn’t understand organics well enough to force the biology along to his intended goal. The oilers approach hockey a bit like Monsanto approaches genetic modification of potatoes. They definitely modified spuds, unfortunately the results consistently and only ever yielded dead rats. It’s not that they can’t force their square pegs, it’s that they keep drafting first instead of plYing games in May.

So will the right vet come and fix Nail through a mutiny like VOR eloquently suggests? I think we’ve heard enough about inmates and asylums to almost guarantee a Canadian court like suppression. Forget organics, forget growth, and definitely forget social advancement. The court of queens bench inc is going to murder their own before they fall out of step with their big American brother. And like the jack booted justice Rooke and his crony friends, Kevin Lowe will send Nail to Burke before he lets Vor like organics actually happen.

50. lance says:

If the oilers were actually interested in analytics, real analytics, for the dollar committment of one assistant coach they could lock me and ricki in a room with a camera and computer. Trajectories of north south players could be figured thru fixed camera film (chips in pucks not required) and from there, things could be tried in summer camps and meaningless games.

Is that kind of analysis possible? Only after the management team admits, as did Augustine, that they actually don’t know abou winning and dare to reach out beyond themselves for help. Only then can organics even begin to happen at all.

And also I think a few photos of the park just went up on ramsay photography facebook in a shameless plug kinda way. Almost none are mine. The lady somehow shoots 30% of the exposures and gets 80% of the sales. Though I f we had the luxury of a sold out show night after night, we probably wouldn’t bother with real analytics either.

51. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

Sad thing is, there was little risk to grabbing him, other than a little bit of money. They could have used him for a year, and if it didn’t work out they could have used a compliance buy out on him.

The extra 700k would have been worth it for the two way ability and perhaps to make things easier for Yakopuv.

I hope the Oilers take a run at him and Kulimen, but it would shock me if Tallon grabs the pair and shifts one of his centres to the wing.

52. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis: In Double Indemnity?

In the Caine Mutiny he was the fellow who egged the rest of the coaching staff to write off Bogart. Ferrer played the lawyer who burns all the narratives at the post-aquittal pub celly. All narrative need a good burning from time to time.

53. freedomisamyth says:

lance,

What a bunch of drivel. It’s not a matter of ‘ivory tower’ thinking. It’s a matter of people creating fantasies in their head about what is going on behind closed doors. And that’s all it is – we have a few quotes to go off of, and the performance on the ice, and that’s it. Being definitive about your opinion based on that little evidence is lunacy. 90% of this thread is made up speculation. Sure speculation can be fun, but people take their speculation a little too seriously sometimes…

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: In the Caine Mutiny he was the fellow who egged the rest of the coaching staff to write off Bogart. Ferrer played the lawyer who burns all the narratives at the post-aquittalpub celly. All narrative need a good burning from time to time.

Haven’t seen it. I’ll put it on the list.

Double Indemnity — or so I was under the impression — was one of the few non wholesome flics MacMurray was in. Some of the mystic about that film was how Wilder cast him against type.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

freedomisamyth:
    lance,

What a bunch of drivel.It’s not a matter of ‘ivory tower’ thinking. It’s a matter of people creating fantasies in their head about what is going on behind closed doors. And that’s all it is – we have a few quotes to go off of, and the performance on the ice, and that’s it. Being definitive about your opinion based on that little evidence is lunacy. 90% of this thread is made up speculation. Sure speculation can be fun, but people take their speculation a little too seriously sometimes…

quoted for truth.

I would add though — and I’m not directing this at you Freedom — that some of fight is really just about tone and impressions left…

in that respect it’s a lot like the Yak/Eakins problem… more superficial than anything, which isn’t to say it isn’t a problem.

And, Caramel, I think it’s pretty easy to call bullshit on something without calling someone an idiot. The argument, not the dude, dude.

56. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Haven’t seen it. I’ll put it on the list.

The role in Caine was perfect for him. Such a nice earnest team player. But how ugly when he runs for cover from the destructive narratives he had spun. I raised the SS. Caine/SS Oilers analogy in the first place because both stories are chock full of entertaining narratives e.g. the water bottle and strawberry incidents. And reality is actually far more interesting, even if rarely visible, until someone close enough cuts through all the narrative crap.

57. lance says:

Drivel. What’s drivel? Analytics? Or the calling of corgis to be analytics? The calling out of econ soc or poly sci?

You wanna see drivel? I’d say visit the hallowed halls of social science and see what currently passes for scholarship. Madonna Studies 314. Or listen to MLSE talk about attitude so bad they’re willing to toss 15m to see gabby play somewhere else. Or was the point of your post to use lazy analytics in a new and profound way?

Go corgis! Like predicting inflation, bad statistics, all piled together, surely must steer our ship to knowledge right? That’s the lazy drivel you’re calling out?

Fact is, until the foundation is pure math, all analysis is drivel. It’s all subjective, it’s all sociology, it’s all speculation.

Question is, does Nail need fixing, or is it the org? My answer is that it’s anyone who actually thinks they know the answer.

58. russ99 says:

godot10,

Not to mention he picked the worst possible time to pull such antics.

The second year for skilled players is vital, they need support and targeted icetime to work out how to change their game to adapt, since everyone has all their tricks from their rookie year on tape and the book is out on how to stop them.

The last thing he needed was Eakins to push him to reinvent his game as a two way player, and the wonderful “hit someone every shift” directive.

This is one of the many reasons we need a change of assistants. If he had an offense-oriented coach to use as a support system, he could have worked through the 2nd year adjustment phase.

Now he’s been set back a year, and who knows how he’ll progress next season.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

lance:

You wanna see drivel? I’d say visit the hallowed halls of social science and see what currently passes for scholarship.Madonna Studies 314. Or listen to MLSE talk about attitude so bad they’re willing to toss 15m to see gabby play somewhere else. Or was the point of your post to use lazy analytics in a new and profound way?

Go corgis! Like predicting inflation, bad statistics, all piled together, surely must steer our ship to knowledge right?That’s the lazy drivel you’re calling out?

I really don’t see your point here.

It’s not a matter of speculation when someone claims something about a player — e.g., they weren’t being played as much as last year (which has been claimed previously) — that is easily verifiable.

It’s not about deciphering a secret code. It’s about sticking to the facts when they are available.

———
    as far as the inter-personal relations — they are up for grabs as far as I’m concerned and really do matter.

But, it’s probably wise for us to have provisional interpretations of what’s going on. That’s hardly an onerous request.

60. freedomisamyth says:

lance:

What’s drivel is the thinking behind your long meandering post: that anyone’s opinion is as good as anyone else’s no matter how poorly informed. It’s the same kind of thinking that gets people to not vaccinate their kids because they know better than the ‘elites’ as to whats good for their kid. There’s a lot of other dubious thoughts intermingled in your post, but that’s my main gripe.

What Godot is doing is not equivalent to what the analytics crew here do, sorry. 95% of his posts are kicking the dead horse of how bad a coach Eakins is with 0 actual information on the matter – just made up speculation that fits his preconceived opinion. Every new event he just molds into his world view to support his long ago made up mind.

The analytics talk here certainly isn’t the be-all-end-all, in fact, I personally take any conclusions people make based on things like corsi with a huge grain of salt because I tend to think the data they provide is a lot more limited than is commonly thought here, with many conclusions rife with dubious narratives but at least it’s an argument based on some evidence, not completely on bias and rationalization. Stuff that is purely opinion based is pretty much a waste of every one’s time, since it does not move us any farther towards “the truth”, not even a little bit.

61. FastOil says:

My cousin from Quebec knows for sure Kevin Lowe was recruited to the CIA at the same time as Chuck Barris, and given Grabovski is a reputed KGB mole (which is why he cleared waivers, feeding info to the KHL, if that’s it’s real name) there is no chances he resurfaces in E Town.