JAKE GARDINER AS AN OILER

I’m a fan of Jake Gardiner. We’ve discussed him here and here and here and there’s no doubt he could be a useful player on an NHL team. Gardiner is the kind of talent that sometimes shakes loose, and often ends up playing for a better NHL team than he’s leaving.

I’m hoping that isn’t the case. Gardiner would be a fine Oiler.

gardiner extraThis is Gardiner’s Extra Skater player card. He’s a terrific talent, and I think misunderstood by his NHL coach. Oiler fans know all about this, dating back to Paul Coffey and Miro Satan and Nail Yakupov, so we know it’s a good time to make something happen.

Dallas Eakins coached Jake Gardiner with the Marlies, and it’s reasonable to suggest Edmonton might have interest. A puck moving defenseman who is proven and plays on the left side? Sign us up. The problem: the cost.

1. Do you think the Oilers should pursue Gardiner as a top 6 option?
  2. What is a reasonable price?
  3. Is there room for Gardiner and Schultz?

I can see Gardiner as a second pairing option with Jeff Petry, with Martin Marincin or Oscar Klefbom playing with the RH #1 defender acquired over the summer. This might leave Andrew Ference and Justin Schultz as third pairing, Oscar Klefbom in the AHL and Darnell Nurse in SSM. Agree?

52 Responses to "JAKE GARDINER AS AN OILER"

1. Pajamah says:

LT, you nailed it.

Therein lies the issue, albeit framed with dry wit. Until we’re good, we’re not going to be the team that polishes someone else’s diamond.

2. Rondo says:

I could see Gardiner and ? going to Vancouver for Kesler. I don’t really see a fit in Edmonton. Toronto would want too much.

3. Yak2 says:

Oilers should target these guys for bottom-6:

Blake Comeau (CBJ)
    Jack Skille (CBJ)
    Michael Frolik (WPG)
    Oskar Osala (RUS)
    Nik Kulemin (TOR)

Our bottom-6 with these guys:

Frolik – Gordon – Kulemin
    Osala – Lander – Skille/Comeau

4. Saul Goodman says:

Does Gardiner fits MacT high end definition or is a middle of the pack defender? I much prefer Adam Larsson in the same “value-range”. I think the skill set of Larsson will come along nicely after a “wake-up call” in Ahl.

5. VanOil says:

i would have no problem with Gardiner as an Oiler. He needs to get away from Carlyle. I love that the Leafs kept Carlyle, they are doomed to mediocrity at best with this decision.

Gardiner for Musil + 3d? I am guessing TO would wan’t more but what?

6. Bad Seed says:

Rondo,

Kessler has a no trade & is American. He probably has TO on his no trade list.

Maybe as a cost effective solution, we trade for Gardiner & ship off Schultz in a package for that elusive 1-2 d-man or 2 line centre? Whichever we don’t get in the upcoming draft. Schultz is going to cost big time salary wise & it probably doesn’t hurt his bargaining power that MacT is falling all over himself calling him one of the core.

7. russ99 says:

No way, IMO Schultz is going to be better when all’s said and done.

We need quality veteran defensemen in their prime, not another project. Especially when we already have a similar player.

Also, no more Marlies, please. Pros instead.

8. VanOil says:

Yak2,

I don’t have any problem with your suggestions but I think there is an easier path for the Bottom 6 forwards with what we have and what we can acquire through 1 UFA and 1 Draft pick that the Oilers are likely to start in the NHL based on past form.

We have Face punchers in Hendricks and Gadzook. We have size Joensuu. We lack skill and a veteran Center to help Gordon. So I would do the following;

Draft Pick (Draisaitl)-Gordon-Arco. The kid gets to play with skill in Arco and a baby sitter in Gordon.

Hendricks-Malhotra-Joensuu. DZ starts capable + lots of size. A low event 4th line that can free up easy minutes and starts for the top lines yet not have management feeling so emasculated that they need to dress Gadzook.

Both lines have at least 2 guys that can take draws and the 3d line might even be able to score a goal.

9. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I like A. Larsson much better (if he could be pried from NJ in any way).

10. RexLibris says:

Hmmm, Gardiner. Seems like a good idea. ;)

I’ve harped on Gardiner for Gagner (and maybe something extra going back and forth to even the scales) for awhile now. It solves two issues and retains some value on Gagner by making the move about different playing assets (D for F).

So let’s say Gagner and Gernat for Gardiner and a 2014 3rd rounder (conditional upon the Oilers drafting a player whose surname begins with “G” in order to retain complete trade alliteration).

Gardiner isn’t going to be someone who can step in and become a top 4 D option (presumably) but if adding him allows the Oilers to keep Klefbom in OKC for another partial season and support the defensive depth enough to ensure that they don’t add a Mark Fraser or Matt Greene, then I’m all for it.

Justin Schultz is a better defensemen than Jake Gardiner. So he would I would rank him only as the 4th best defensemen on the Oilers in the best case, and Klefbom will be better by Christmas.

The Oilers have no one to play him with. Gardiner and Schultz really isn’t an attractive 3rd pairing. I prefer Klefbom and Schultz as the 3rd pairing.

Gardiner plays the left side. In the medium term, I prefer Nurse, Marincin, and Klefbom.

So a definite NO to Gardiner from me.

I want a proven top 4 RD, better defensively than offensively, to play with Ference

12. cabbiesmacker says:

I like the look on Gardiner’s face in that pic. It’s either one of shock after finding out he’s been traded to the Oilers or one of deep sphincter pain after finding out he’d been poled by Leaf management and traded to the Oilers.

Gagner + a prospect not named Marincin, Klefbom, or Simpson for him please.

cabbiesmacker:

Gagner + a prospect not named Marincin, Klefbom, or Simpson for him please.

Sphincter. When in doubt, go sphincter.

14. OilFire says:

Lowetide: Sphincter. When in doubt, go sphincter.

Nothing to add, just wanted to quote LT saying that.

15. Yak2 says:

VanOil,

All of those guys, except for Frolik who’s an RFA, are UFA’s. It wouldn’t really cost much to get them. Osala is a good buddy of Yakupovs, having played together (on the same line) during the lockout in 2012-13. I like Malhotra, but he’s 33 and isn’t the guy we need. We need him or someone like him but 3 or 4 years younger. Plus, adding those guys adds depth. A guy like Kulemin can move up the line-up, and we can bring in Gazdic to play on the 4line.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I like Gardiner. Like him a lot.

But, if I’m adding a young, left shot D on the outs with his team, I’m looking at Kulikov. Talked about it here:

17. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: Sphincter. When in doubt, go sphincter.

It’s right there with cowbell.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I like Gardiner. Like him a lot.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Kulikov has some Russia talk around him, but as a player he’s an interesting possible Oiler.

Indeed. I go through the KHL rumor at the end of my piece.

He publicly denied this in Feb.

So, well after Tallon already had him publicly on the trade block (Garrioch has him available since Oct).

So, it’s possible Kulikov was just mouthing nice… but’s it hard to see why. Once your GM has you labelled for the trade market, the incentive to play media darling isn’t as strong…

If he genuinely wanted out, that’s when you’d expect it to come out in some shape or form with more than just guesswork.

Now, it’s possible he’s changed his tune since Feb. But it looks like he wants to play in the NHL.

20. OilClog says:

He doesn’t fit our needs, he’s not a warhorse. We have too many youngings back there as it is and I wouldn’t remove any of our youngings for him. He’s a good player but we need a Boyle or someone with experience for a year or two for our own to develop. We need a Sergei Zubov from back in the day terrorizing us.

21. Gerta Rauss says:

I might be interested in Gardiner if Toronto is moving him for 80 cents on the dollar.

Gagner and a little something else might work. Maybe Nonis could throw in the rights to Kulemin and Raymond while he’s at it.

If we can get a deal that works in our favor and doesn’t cost too much,sure, otherwise I’d pass.

22. VanOil says:

For young D my preference is Kulikov>>>Tyler Myers>>Adam Larson>Gardiner.

Really any of them would help. Sadly I see old, slow and expensive as the more likely summer additions.

23. mumbai max says:

If Toronto will take Gagner for Gardiner, we could then package him or Shultz for the 1/2D. You cannot have both. The problem with Gagrner for Gardiner for the Leafs is salary. They are going to have cap problems already.

24. flyfish1168 says:

I like to trade for players that know what winning is all about. I would rather try and trade with Chicago and see if we can get players like Saad or Shaw, on Boston how about Boychuk or Bergeron. Some examples. If we trade with the leafs its like trading for garbage they don’t want. If we want a winning culture we need players from a winning culture. I feel bad for Gagner for putting up with all this losing, and happy for Hemsky for getting out from it. We need more players with that fire and will to want the win.

25. Barcs says:

I have to admit, I really like the idea of the Oilers using Yak’s star power so as to tap into a largely ignored faction of hockey players from Russia. I think Yak2 and Kulikov could help with this.

As for the young D and Kulikov being in the way, Kulikov can play tougher minutes now, and if we have a blockage of good D in the future well that is a very good problem to have.

Acquiring an asset that is likely to appreciate in value is something smart GMs do.

26. Gino says:

I’ll be passing on Jake Gardiner. I believe the guy can play but I would like someone with at least 4-5 years of playing actual NHL hockey. A d-man with 320-400 games in the league. This team needs guys who know the league, how to prepare and have been thru the grind. I’d prefer Cody Franson from Toronto who has an excellent shot and I wouldn’t have to see so much J.Schultz on the first power play unit. Why not go all in and go get Tyler Myers 318 games played and hasn’t even hit his prime yet and that 5.5m / year long term cap hit will be peanuts in 2-3 years. Just do it or something this summer, I’m tired of our guys playing above water. Make some deals and get a couple of these D with experience and this team will be better. 2 new guys, Big M / Petry – Ferance / Schultz. Klefboom in the minors.

27. Caramel Obvious says:

You guys are hilarious.

Gardiner would instantly be the Oilers best or second best defenseman and you guys are talking about how he doesn’t fit on the roster. That’s preposterous. If he’s better than the other guys, he fits. And he’s better than the other guys.

Gardiner is their Petry. Underappreciated and undervalued.

The problem is that while the Leafs might be stupid enough to trade Gardiner. Their stupid runs in a particular direction. Which means they aren’t stupid enough to trade him for Gagner. I don’t see anyone one the Oilers the Leafs want that might be in range.

The only guy worth trading on the Oilers is Gagner and yet Gagner doesn’t have any value. They could trade Klefbom but that seems like a loser bet. Not established enough to bring back a real return but enough potential to really bite them.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on trades.

Caramel Obvious:
    You guys are hilarious.

Gardiner would instantly be the Oilers best or second best defenseman and you guys are talking about how he doesn’t fit on the roster.That’s preposterous.If he’s better than the other guys, he fits.And he’s better than the other guys.

Gardiner is their Petry.Underappreciated and undervalued.

The problem is that while the Leafs might be stupid enough to trade Gardiner.Their stupid runs in a particular direction.Which means they aren’t stupid enough to trade him for Gagner.I don’t see anyone one the Oilers the Leafs want that might be in range.

The only guy worth trading on the Oilers is Gagner and yet Gagner doesn’t have any value. They could trade Klefbom but that seems like a loser bet.Not established enough to bring back a real return but enough potential to really bite them.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on trades.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

29. Bank Shot says:

Do the Oilers really need another guy that coaches feel they need to shelter? How much does Gardiner’s CORSI drop on the Oilers when he is no longer seeing the weak comp with the best zone starts?

If the cost is low I wouldn’t be opposed to it, but I would prefer MacT make a stronger move this offseason and add a for sure rather then yet another gamble.

30. spoiler says:

I don’t see Gardiner being available either.

Franson is the only RHS on the Leaves D. He isn’t going anywhere unless there’s one coming back.

I think both the Myers and Larsson ideas have much more potential for a trade match and would be interested in either at the right price. Get someone to play starboard for the next six to eight years, the future of the left is pretty much set. I think Gagner is an overpay for Larsson, but would do it and pretty sure he isn’t enough for Myers.

31. spoiler says:

Bank Shot: Meh. If we are going to give up assets to trade for a defenceman then I want a real difference maker like Brian Campbell or someone of that ilk.

32. DeadmanWaking says:

Off topic. Just for S&G.

My Very Easy Method: Just Set Up Nine Planets.

My Very Easy Method: Just Set Up Eight.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Eptune.

33. Bank Shot says:

spoiler: Yeah if you’re going for the left side, you need to get a vet with a couple of years left on his contract who can face the vaunt so none of the kidst have to. Or see if you can sign one. Dan Boyle is rumoured to be leaving the Sharks. He probably wants a long deal or a Cup Shot, but maybe he would be willing to sign for 3 years if the other number is big enough.

That’s preferable to me.

I’m not comfortable at all with Marincin being penciled into the top 4 to start the season.

The guy had a positive CORSI going into his 30th game or so and dropped from +2 to -5 over the last 10-15 games. That’s a precipitous drop off.

Assume he’s going to cover the bet for third pairing at best and work from there.

34. spoiler says:

Bank Shot: The ministry of youth can go away as far as I am concerned. There is an obvious correlation in the NHL between age and winning. Oilers need to find some vets.

35. spoiler says:

DeadmanWaking: Off topic. Just for S&G. My Very Easy Method: Just Set Up Nine Planets.My Very Easy Method: Just Set Up Eight.Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Eptune.

There’s ten. Well ten plus a hidden body.

36. jayzz says:

Nope don’t want either player too much of the same, would prefer a healthy gags over kadri, and jshultz over jake.

37. Bank Shot says:

spoiler: That deck is stacked against them due to geography–both on the map and in the standings.

Even still its mostly self inflicted.

They were still doing it lat season with the Smid for prospects trade. He couldn’t have brought back a two way veteran winger?

38. RT26 says:

Unless I am mis-reading something on Capgeek, Gardiner is an RFA. Toronto has $22M in projected cap space next year and only 12 players under contract. They need to sign Raymond, Kulemin , Reimer and others.

Offer Moroz, Gernat and next year’s 2nd round pick for the rights to Gardiner. But with young, less than fully proven defensemen as one of our only areas of asset strength, if we don’t consider using those assets, to procure talent, we’ll be living this re-build for some duration,

39. Gino says:

Caramel Obvious:
    You guys are hilarious.

Gardiner is their Petry.Underappreciated and undervalued.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on trades.

40. Surly says:

23 years old, 167 NHL games under his belt, familiarity between coach/player, logged 21:04 a night for 80 games with the Leafs and came out not too bad, I’d be interested.

If the trade is for Gagner, I bet his salary requires us to also include a flip flop of 3rd OV pick for the 8th OV. That, or we solve their Clarkson problem as part of a trade but I just don’t want to go there.

41. flyfish1168 says:

JMHO. I have seen Randy Carlyle play for years. I believe he is a good judge of a good defense man. If Carlyle can’t trust or play him on the Leafs top 6 regularly, how is he being rated as one their better d-man? Advance stats don’t show him rushing his passes or his nervous plays on the ice.

I believe many people felt gagner would have a great season last year, if it wasn’t for his mishap. I believe will have a comeback season and career year next season, he is worth the wait. JMHO

42. Loweblow says:

He’s had concussion issues, was in and out of Randy Carlyle’s dog house all season, plays a soft game. The Leafs allowed more SA than the Oilers, you would think the Oilers would be looking for a D that can play some sort of D and a little bit of grit.

Dallas Eakins wouldn’t put Jake Gardiner on the ice against Teemu Hartikainen in the Marlies home games in Toronto when Scrivens stole the playoff series from OKC.

i.e. Eakins was protecting Gardiner in the AHL.

Schutlz has played tougher minutes in the big boy conference with less help than Gardiner and his protected minutes in Toronto under Carlyle.

P.S. Fransen is awful too.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Barcs: I think the difference for me between Kulikov and Gardiner is that I see Kulikov as being more prepared to play tougher minutes NOW, although I wasn’t sure where to find the Sledgehammers to confirm this.

You can find all that adv. stats stuff in my article on Kulikov posted above.

He’s in the clear 2nd pairing spot in terms of QC, zone starts, etc. and performed well.

BTW: I like Gardiner a lot. I’d happily take both. I’m also a big fan of trying to land any of Fayne, Niskanen, Quincey, Gilbert or Hainsey (all UFA).

I’m a bit of an outlier here, in that I actually think there are a lot of interesting “clear improvement” D out there.

45. borisnikov says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

borisnikov: Problem is that MacT has said as much as he’s only looking for a true top pairing guy. May his definition be slightly different than most?

It’s a good question. what does he mean by “high-end defensemen” anyway?

Remember in the same breath he mentioned the Flyers locking up Andrew MacDonald.

On that basis… assuming we can gauge what the MSM and standard hockey GM thinks… there are probably only 4 UFA Ds: Boyle, Timmonen, Markov and Orpik.

Orpik the only one likely to make it to UFA status… that’s scary.

47. Truth says:

Absolutely I’d take Gardiner on the Oilers. If MacT is going to get a top pairing defenceman you know that at least one of Petry, Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom is going to be part of the trade.

As of right now, a cup winning Oilers D-core would consist of:

Top pairing D (not yet on team) – Top pairing D (not yet on team)
    Petry – Second pairing D (not yet on team)
    Marincin / Ference – Schultz
    Ference / Marincin – Klefbom

IF, Petry and Marincin + other pieces (picks/prospects) get traded to pick up a top pairing D and Gardiner in separate trades:

Player A (acquired in trade) – Top Pairing D (not yet on team)
    Gardiner – Second pairing D (not yet on team
    Ference – Schultz
    Klefbom

One step closer for the start of next season. Two of the prospects will need to play to the ability of a top pairing and second pairing D for this team to eventually make some noise, or they will need to acquire those pieces.

48. Caramel Obvious says:

RT26:
    Unless I am mis-reading something on Capgeek, Gardiner is an RFA.Toronto has $22M in projected cap space next year and only 12 players under contract.They need to sign Raymond, Kulemin , Reimer and others.

Offer Moroz, Gernatand next year’s 2nd round pick for the rights toGardiner.But with young, less than fully proven defensemen as one of our only areas of asset strength, if we don’t consider using those assets, to procure talent, we’ll be living this re-build for some duration,

Some sense. Why wouldn’t you try and do this.

Gino: I don’t want someone on par with Petry although if that’s all we can get then yes that would be an improvement to the current D core line-up. I’d like us to aim higher get someone with some games under there belt we have enough youth already. I believe trades can always be made in a cap world. I won’t go into specifics as to who has / hasn’t any value on the Oilers that’s in the eye of the beholder and who you speculate you want to move out from part of your line-up to improve a part that barely stays above the water.

Petry is our best defensemen. Two of them will double our number of best defensemen. That’s a clear win. I’d like Subban too but that isn’t going to happen. Clear upgrades cost clear assets. Gardiner could be something for nothing.

49. rich says:

The team needs a top 2 D-man and we’re all figuring out ways to add another bottom pairing defenseman here w/Gardiner.

Ugh. He might be more in a couple of years but signing him means either he plays above his head or Schultz – unless it’s part of another deal and we’re shipping Schultz and something out for the elusive #1 that’s going to help the Oilers improve sooner.

Wake me up when the long nightmare on our blue line is over.

50. Loweblow says:

Truth,

It was painfully obvious that Ference was not a top 4D, great ambassador for the Oilers off the ice is about the best I can say about him.

51. lawrenharris says:

flyfish1168:
    If we want a winning culture we need players from a winning culture.

You mean like Colin Fraser and Ben Eager?