LAURENT FREAKING BROSSOIT

I keep saying two things to myself:

1. The Oilers didn’t get full value for Ladislav Smid
  2. It doesn’t matter what you do in the ECHL, it’s still the ECHL.

I remain comfortable in both opinions. Ladislav Smid is an NHL veteran, signed, a productive member of the hockey team and young enough to hang around and be part of the good times.

LADSILAV SMID PLAYER CARD EXTRA SKATER smid es

Well he had his troubles that’s for sure. Still, NHL player, signed, and he played on the top pairing here. PLUS all that damn time invested waiting for him to turn the corner!

San Antonio vs. OKC Barons 11-30-13

brossoit echl

At what point do we begin talking about this? His save percentage in the regular season was excellent (.926) and now he’s gone super nova. But it’s the ECHL!

brossoit ahlAHL? Hot mess, 10 games. So, what say you? Should we expect a quality AHL starting goaltender here on the way to someone who can help out at the NHL level down the line? Or is he destined to be an ECHL legend in Buck Owens country?

45 Responses to "LAURENT FREAKING BROSSOIT"

1. edmoil3 says:

I would roll brossoit and bunz 1:2 next year in the AHL. Have to. See what you have they aren’t that young anymore. Address it if you need to. Lots of minor league goalies to be had on a later date

2. regwald says:

edmoil3:

Not sure Bunz is even a legit AHL prospect anymore.

3. Yeti says:

regwald,

Agree. You go with Broissoit and a steady hand veteran. The Oilers place a lot of emphasis on AHL success, so they won’t be trusting it all on the whim of two unproven goalies.

4. regwald says:

Yeti:
    regwald,

My thoughts exactly.

Tuohimaa is also in the mix. PLus I expect Bachman may be signed.

6. rich says:

Tuohimaa is also in the mix. PLus I expect Bachman may be signed.

It would stand to reason that Bachman returns because he’s your emergency call up if something happens with Scrivens or Fasth. Having Tuohimaa as the #3 goalie in the system when he’s only played 1 AHL game is not a wise move.

What may happen is you let Tuhimaa and Broisssoit battle for the back-up in OKC and the other gets the full minutes in Bakersfield. At some point, you would think that they will both get AHL minutes, make them earn it instead of handing it to them.

7. regwald says:

Tuohimaa is also in the mix. PLus I expect Bachman may be signed.

Given what we have seen from Broissoit, I would expect he will be given one of the two spots in OKC next year.

8. TheOtherJohn says:

The Smid deal was a bad deal all around. Moved him out & could have used him all year. Did not canvass the league to see what market would be. Could have moved Ference at trade deadline if you still had Smid. Return at time of trade was mediocre

Brossoit numbers at ECHL level were all made at start of year. Believe last 2 months in ECHL his sv% was .908 which would be mediocre in that league After trade Oilers were trumpeting his .960 sv%, then .950, then .940 then they quit talking about it altogether. His AHL numbers were also mediocre and I have not looked but assume he got weaker opponents or weaker opponent on back to back. Brossoit/Smid is another example of we acquired a bright shiny penny & trust us on trading Smid away

Congrats to the young man on having a real strong Single A playoff with Condors.

9. David says:

Keep in mind that the Calgary Flames who are a better team than the Oilers but not by much have Smid in a 4-5 role and aren’t really in love with him. For the first while he did fairly poorly and then picked it up a bit but Flames fans seem to be very meh on him. Brossoit is not old, only 20 or 21 I believe, and Horak looks ready for NHL bottom six next year. I’ve never had a problem with this deal. At worst it hurt us this season a little bit. At best we get a starting goalie and a good third line producer.

10. David says:

Also you just got to love Brossoit from his time with the Oil Kings.

11. David says:

Reinhart named WHL player of the year. I think he’s the best of the centers. I’m torn between Ekblad and Reinhart but I definately have Reinhart over Draisaitl and Bennett.

12. Rondo says:

David,

Brian Burke loves Smid, I’ll take his word.

13. Vince says:

David:

I was suprised at how indifferent i was about Smid being moved, if it happened in the summer i would have lost it.

LT,
    aside from Gram Parson (where’s his RE btw) and a few others i’m not much for country but that “streets of bakersfield’ tune is deadly.

14. Zangetsu says:

honestly, I think the better goaltender went the other way. I doubt either are nhlers for any substantial time though.

15. LMHF#1 says:

Brossoit didn’t impress me against better WHL teams, but goalies at this stage can be a real crap shoot.

Still want to see more of Ty Rimmer in the AHL. Such solid fundamentals in TC/preseason.

Olivier Roy killed it for Stockton and the Oilers in the ECHL also. Led Stockton to the ECHL finals, did he not?

And like Brossoit, couldn’t stop a beach ball in the AHL.

I don’t remember an Olivier Freaking Roy post.

godot10:
    Olivier Roy killed it for Stockton and the Oilers in the ECHL also.Led Stockton to the ECHL finals, did he not?

And like Brossoit, couldn’t stop a beach ball in the AHL.

I don’t remember an Olivier Freaking Roy post.

Actually, I wrote a post that is very similar AND I once had him as the #12 prospect in the system. It hurts me you don’t remember it. :-)

18. Racki says:

I still have faith in Brossoit, even if his short AHL looks have not been good so far. Goaltending can be pretty tough to judge. I thought Brossoit was crazy good a couple years ago in the WHL playoffs (had the playoff pass, so watched all their games then). So while I hated seeing Smid go, I was happy to see Brossoit being part of the return.

A lack of AHL dominance is definitely worrisome, for sure, but if you look at the OKC Barons, the only goalies who put up decent numbers this year barely played at all.

Good goaltending is often a product of a good defense, and the same can be said about the bad as well. Not saying that the Barons are a bad defensive team.. I don’t follow them much like some folks here do. But I wouldn’t worry too much just yet. This is just his first year of pro too. I’d like to see him putting up the wall immediately, but there’s definitely time for that.

19. leadfarmer says:

Smid had a tough year this year,but he still is better than the other 2 defensive defensemen the oilers had in Schultz and Ferrence and they traded him for a long shot prospect and a tweener. Him and Petry are better together then individually. They had a proven record of being able to survive the best in the NHL. Just tired of this team losing trades and trading NHL players for projects. This is looking like a loser Oiler trade such as
    Visnovsky turned to Whitney turned to nothing
    Eric Cole to Patty O’Lanterns to nothing
    Smid to Brossoit and Horak to nothing
    Torres to Brule to nothing

Lowetide: Actually, I wrote a post that is very similar AND I once had him as the #12 prospect in the system. It hurts me you don’t remember it.

I can’t find the “freaking”. I only find #12 prospect…ho hum…and a save percentage in the ECHL compared to Dubnyk.

Brossoit is very similar to both of them statswise.

Dubnyk is still the only one that has shown results in the AHL.

When he has a playoffs like Ben “Freaking” Scrivens did for Eakins in the AHL..not ECHL…then I’ll think “freaking” is an appropriate adjective.

When do we consider an ECHL hot streak something worth noting? I think it’s a worthwhile question, and I guess it gets back to finding a reasonable estimate for what the ECHL is. I’m not certain the overall quality of play is beyond junior, and yet guys like Arcobello have played there and used it as a stepping stone.

It’ll be fun to see if Brossoit, and as you say, Roy, end up having careers as we move forward.

22. Big Dan says:

Lowetide, just remember how raw this kid is. This is his first year out of junior. Goalies take a long time, even longer than defensemen.

I’m ok him battling Tuohimaa for the AHL backup job next year. Bunz is gone when his contract expires next year. Rimmer is just a depth plug (like Pickard was).

To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed with Broissoit this year after a hot start. I was confident he’d be a future 1G for the Oilers in 5-6 years. He had a great opportunity here hitting a franchise with a dearth of goalies in the system.

Now I’m not so sure but he’s definitely got potential (unlike Olivier Roy, who was dead weight). He is a very confident and poised individual re: those that know him. They say he’s just a sponge and works his tail off – he fully expects to have a career in the NHL and who are we to argue with him? :)

If in a year, he hasn’t advanced … like Bunz, oh well.

As for slamming the Smid deal, you and many other bloggers here are underrating Roman Horak. One year from now, we’ll be saying Horak-for-Smid (who is overpaid) even up is a good deal. All Horak has to do is put on another 10-15 lb; it’s the only thing keeping him from being a regular NHL contributor. Fast, smart, hands, two-way..

As for MacT not canvassing the league, he was probably just glad to find SOMEBODY who’d take Smid’s contract (similar to Omark, Larbarbera, Dubnyk deals) and give him a couple young players to boot. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Oiler fans overrate their players’ trade value.

Big Dan: I like Horak, have mentioned it many times. However, trading Smid in a season when they didn’t have three NHL defenseman is just a terrible move. Just is.

24. Andy P says:

Big Dan:
    Lowetide, just remember how raw this kid is.This is his first year out of junior.Goalies take a long time, even longer than defensemen.

I’m ok him battling Tuohimaa for the AHL backup job next year.Bunz is gone when his contract expires next year.Rimmer is just a depth plug (like Pickard was).

To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed with Broissoit this year after a hot start.I was confident he’d be a future 1G for the Oilers in 5-6 years.He had a great opportunity here hitting a franchise with a dearth of goalies in the system.

Now I’m not so sure but he’s definitely got potential (unlike Olivier Roy, who was dead weight).He is a very confident and poised individual re: those that know him.They say he’s just a sponge and works his tail off – he fully expects to have a career in the NHL and who are we to argue with him?

If in a year, he hasn’t advanced … like Bunz, oh well.

As for slamming the Smid deal, you and many other bloggers here are underrating Roman Horak.One year from now, we’ll be saying Horak-for-Smid (who is overpaid) even up is a good deal.All Horak has to do is put on another 10-15 lb; it’s the only thing keeping him from being a regular NHL contributor.Fast, smart, hands, two-way..

MacT will look pretty good in a couple of years if Brossoit and Horak turn out as hoped for, and Smid continues his decline. But a lot more will need to come together for MacT to look good overall, of course.

25. David says:

What good would Smid have done for us? He would have helped a little. But what good is that? If Horak or Brossoit work out the trade is great cause the Oilers weren’t about this year. They are about the future. Smid was a fairly good middle of your depth chart defender. Maybe lower middle. The Oilers need a top pairing d. Or two. Honestly Smid would have helped little. It’s like if the Oilers add Matt Greene. Not good enough. I really like Horak. He has a legit chance at being on the opening night roster. Brossoit might pan out, I like him. Overall I like the gamble a lot.

David:

What good would Smid have done for us? He would have helped a little. But what good is that? IfHorak or Brossoit work out the trade is great cause the Oilers weren’t about this year. They are about the future. Smid was a fairly good middle of your depth chart defender. Maybe lower middle. The Oilers need a top pairing d. Or two. Honestly Smid would have helped little. It’s like if the Oilers add Matt Greene. Not good enough. I really like Horak. He has a legit chance at being on the opening night roster. Brossoit might pan out, I like him. Overall I like the gamble a lot.

I like both Horak and Brossoit, that isn’t the point. The Oilers dealt a guy who they needed in a season that it was important to turn north. If they didn’t bring in MacTavish to get better, what are they doing? The only reason to deal Smid before the deadline (when his value would be higher, or at least could be) was the need for cap room to sign the goalie.

And they didn’t need the room.

27. David says:

The Oilers season was on a freight train south this season from early on. Hanging on to Smid for a few more months wouldn’t have changed that more than an inch. It’s a valid argument that he could be worth more at the deadline however since we both like the prospects maybe there is no problem with the value. Also working against that argument is the fact that a lot of deadline deals are for draft picks. The Oilers got players already in pro. Already past the first hurdle draft picks have to pass. In my mind this deal hinges entirely on what Horak and Brossoit become. If either or both of them can make it as a regular it’s a good deal. And the Oilers losing out on Smid for a few months this season doesn’t trouble me in the slightest. Especially since that opened the door for a look at Marincin and Klefbom. It was good to get a first testing of those two grade A prospects.

David:

29. Andy P says:

Lowetide: Ladislav Smid was not a free agent. There was NO period this season where the Oilers had six better defenseman than Smid, and I know he had a crappy year.

Andy P: LT, I recall seeing a comment (not from me!) about Smid being unhappy and asking out. Would that have had any credibility at all?

It could have, and that I would accept. However, without knowledge of same, and believe me there were all kinds of rumors floating around, we’re left to wonder about the deal as an actual trade.

31. David says:

Agreed. However Smid is just a middle guy. I’ll admit to not being a big fan of Smid but I believe I’m not out to lunch suggesting that Smid wouldn’t have made much of a difference in the Oilers outcome. The biggest difference he would have made is by maybe keeping Klefbom in the minors save for a quick look see possibly. In my mind the season was lost, and having Smid around next year wouldn’t be a help too is one bit if we don’t get a top pairing d man. In which case Smid becomes less relevant as our young up and comers can probably fill the depth of our d chart adequately.

I do understand and respect your opinion that Smid currently is better than multiple of our defensemen in our top six. And that that statement should be enough evidence that the trade was poor. Perhaps you are right but I really liked what we got from Marincin and Klefbom and if all that we are going to add to our roster next year are the Smids, and the Matt Greens and the Mark Faynes of the world then we won’ temp rove much and I’d rather have young guns in there. The Oilers need Markov, or Cambell, or a miracle trade to get Letang, or the like. Otherwise the outcome will be barely better than if we just ride the wave of youth till they are ready.

32. jayzz says:

Completely agree with Alan on this front. No idea why we didn’t get a defensive prospect back or a power forward prospect thrown in with the goalie. Horak is a decent player but there is literally no room for him on the roster. Smid trade is one of a couple moves I’m sure MacT had a mulligan on.

33. David says:

If Horak steps in next year and goes 10-20-30 while being part of the solution and not the problem defensively this trade is a win. If Brossoit comes in 3-4 years from now and can give 9.18 save percentage this trade is a win. And I don’t see any glaring negative to losing Smid this year. But that’s just my opinion. No NHL owner has been knocking on my door with a job offer.

34. Hammers says:

Your wrong in a way as they did need some cap space for Bryz especially if all the bonuses were met . Maybe McT just looked at Marincin and said $700 K plus we find out if he can handle the NHL . Smid was and still is a character guy but I also felt Eakins was part of his demise .

David:

Me either! :-)

36. hoser313 says:

I’m inclined to agree with both your points, LT.

#1. Feaster was quoted after the Smid trade as being surprised to get a call from Craig (or something similar). Have to believe the Oil could have got more for Smid at the deadline or better yet in the OFF season (you know, when teams convince themselves their roster isn’t tough enough). I’ve also argued here before you need a D or two who can handle Backes, Getzlaf etc. and perhaps MacT and Eakins can explain who that is if it’s not Smid.

#2. I think good numbers in the ECHL is simply an indication that a player MIGHT have success at the next level.

I don’t buy the ‘Flames don’t like Smid’ narrative. They have 2 rock-stars in Gio and Brodie. Smid kills penalties and gets defensive zone starts. Flames know what they have in Smid.

37. nycoil says:

At the time of the trade I lamented the poor asset management; why develop a guy for years while we find out what he is, then ship him out for a goalie prospect years away if it all works out, and a depth forward. Many posters here disagreed with me strongly and suggested Smid wasn’t good at all and needed to be booted. I defended my opinion then that Smid’s perceived value across the league was much higher than his actual return and still believe that to be the case. I think Smid plus a lesser piece back then could have absolutely been a Paajarvi+2nd for Perron type deal, possibly yielding us that youngish 2C we covet now.

Alas water under the bridge, but I still feel this was MacT’s rashest, most ill-conceived move.

38. gcw_rocks says:

Sadly ECHL success doesn’t really seem to mean much. If it did, why trade Roy, who had tremendous ECHL success, for someone who hadn’t even had that yet?

Until Broissoit had done AHL success, his stats are merely interesting.

39. Pouzar says:

Horak is a player. Hit the gym kid and come out gangbusters in TC.

40. Big Dan says:

When the deal of Smid was made, the season was already lost. I think the benefit of giving a look-see to the likes of Fedun (4 games) + Marincin & Klefbom was more beneficial than the difference in market value between November and March for Smid. The day they signed Ference, Smid was done.

I’d take Horak and Broissoit for a 4th in a heartbeat.

41. G Money says:

I was very offended at the trade of Smid. However, once I looked at his actual numbers and reviewed his play as objectively as I could, a few things became painfully clear:

1 – Smid’s last good year was under Renney
    2 – He was often terrible under Krueger (as was Petry)
    3 – He was even worse under Eakins (unlike Petry who appears to have mostly recovered)
    4 – Smid has been even worse (Corsi wise) in Calgary than in Edmonton

So two things spring to mind:

- Maybe MacT – who historically has an eye for defensemen I think – saw something in the decline of Smid’s game that the rest of us are not yet ready to admit. Maybe he traded him early because he saw his value as declining.

- If we are willing to trade Gagner for a Bag of Pucks (sorry) because of his terrible results the last two years, shouldn’t we be willing to do the same for Smid?

Big Dan: The day they signed Ference, Smid was done.

Out of curiousity, are you saying this because with Ference’s signing we didn’t need Smid anymore, or is it commentary on the Oiler strategy of “depth? We don’t need no steenking depth!” ?

Big Dan: And another question, could we have got Horak and Broissoit for Smid at the deadline? I doubt it. Vanek was had for a 2nd rounder. Smid may have got us a 3rd tops, more likely a 4th.

That’s an interesting point – it’s true that we probably could have gotten more for Smid (barring possible decline I mention above) later in the year. It’s also quite possible that Horak and Brossoit might have cost more later in the year. The ultimate scenario are that Horak and Brossoit are increasing assets and Smid a declining asset and so the timing and returned value of the trade is actually at a peak.

42. Big Dan says:

G Money,

Hi G Money.

I thought the Ference signing cued the end of Smid because MacT laid his cards on the table. He signed someone else for less money ($3.25 vs. $3.5) to fill the role that Smid was supposed to:
    - 2nd or 3rd pairing shut-down guy
    - Experienced leader

I don’t think Tambo getting fired a week after the Smid signing and Bishop debacle is a coincidence. MacT and Lowe finally realized two years later than everybody else that Tambo was a complete moron.

Ference is better than Smid because he has actual experience at WINNING, and has a little bit of offense in them. We all know he’s been playing way too much this year, to bridge the gap while our prospects like Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Gernat, Simpson develop. But he’ll be a good 3rd pairing guy who will guide them on their way. Ference is a very good, charitable person off the ice. He’s a fitness freak. There is a lot he can teach team.

And you’re not going to spend $6.75M on Smid and Ference long-term with all those prospects coming and easy replacements for less money. MacT’s attempts all failed last year (Belov, Grebeshkov, Larsen, Fraser) but you can see where his head was at.

43. prairieschooner says:

In Smid we traded away an actual NHL defenceman. for players who would not be in a position to help the club for a few years down the road
    If his game was on the slide shouldn’t there be someone on the Oilers who could get him back on track, I think other clubs have these kind of guys working for them