MACT MYSTERIES VOL 2: SUMMER 2014

We’re at a point in the spring where the subject matter reaches a low ebb. I don’t do a prospect ranking until the day after the draft, and the Oilers haven’t signed a  Euro ala Belov yet this May (though we remain hopeful). The rumor mill has Alex Edler being added to the possibly available blue (Phaneuf, Ehrhoff, etc), and MacT is raving about Mitchell Moroz. So, we’re in a period where real news is at a significant low.

In the last two days, we’ve established that (as a group) we want Craig MacTavish to be very active this summer, adding NHL players (say, five) in an effort to turn north. He has to do it without trading significant assets, though. Easy! We’ve also established that we are a house divided on Sam Gagner, with some wanting him moved to wing and others preferring a similarly bloated contract in exchange for 89. We don’t agree on much, but are clearly NOT in favor of any profiles of Connor McDavid at this time.

I did this last year, let’s see if we can find anything this spring.

1. Who will they take at the entry draft? Aaron Ekblad or Sam Reinhart. If both are gone, Leon Draisaitl. I wouldn’t rule out a big trade between Edmonton and Florida, seems to me there’s a fit of some sort there.
  2. How will they improve the defense? I’m thinking they will sign a free agent (Matt Greene?) for depth and then try to make a deal for a defenseman. I’ll say Dmitry Kulikov, but would think they are aiming higher. It’s going to be difficult, everyone wants a blue.
  3. How many rookies on next season’s blue line? I’ll say one, Nurse or Klefbom. Suspect Nurse gets his 9-games (still 9,right?) if he shows well, and they’ll call up Klefbom if the 9 games expose some weaknesses. They may try to sign a significant free agent, if they don’t get Kulikov or similar, but may settle on a lesser player. Edmonton might begin the season Marincin-Petry, Kulikov/Tallinder-Schultz, Ference-Nurse-Klefbom-Greene, something like that, my guess is they try to get a Phaneuf-Edler-Ehrhoff and fall short.
  4. What will C look like? I think there’s a better chance a center breaks loose this summer. Grabovski and Bolland are available, but likely require too much and too long, so I’ll suggest Vern Fiddler as a useful two-way guy who can help out in a variety of areas. If one of the kids or Arcobello grabs that 2line job, or Gagner stays, Fiddler will be able to impact the bottom 6F and help on the PK. That’s a nice signing.
  5. What about a winger? I think MacT gets a good one, maybe David Moss. They are available this summer and defense is the area where teams are going to blow their brains out. Kulemin would be nice, and if the Oil can get him and Grabovski, music! Suspect it’s too much to hope for in one summer.
  6. What will be the big splash? The draft, and I think they’ll deal Gagner which will make news. I think it’s going to be for futures though. Or a big contract like Umberger that comes with its own troubles.
  7. Is there a chance Gagner is here in the fall? Yes. I don’t think it’s a good one, though.
  8. Which RFA is most vulnerable to trade? Jeff Petry.
  9. Will the Oilers add a 2nd or 3rd rd pick? Suspect so.
  10. Will we be disappointed? Probably. This summer doesn’t set up well for Edmonton, for the draft or for the deals. The Dallas Eakins era has impacted the value of assets across the board.
  11. What’s on the Lowdown today? We’re only an hour, so it’s Dennis King at 10:05, someone from the Oil Kings broadcast afterward and then GO CANADA!

77 Responses to "MACT MYSTERIES VOL 2: SUMMER 2014"

1. nycoil says:

If Vern Fiddler is all we get at C, must keep 89.
    Go Canada and go Delaet.

Fiddler?

Nothing like aiming for the stars eh?

What rhymes with McDavid?

Gonner for Conner?

Annihilated for McDavid?

3. commonfan14 says:

“The Dallas Eakins era has impacted the value of assets across the board.”

Isn’t this the Craig MacTavish era? Let’s not forget who went all in on Eakins in the first place.

4. nycoil says:

Woodguy,
    Jaded for McDavid
    Degraded for McDavid
    Cascaded for McDavid
    Relegated for McDavid

Though I would prefer if we had a good summer, decent season, our Eakins era assets recovered value and we traded for McDavid instead.

5. j says:

The good thing about being an Oiler fan in the summer months is…summer! Amazing how a bit of sunshine, a BBQ, and non-stress induced beers can make a difference!! Thanks for keeping the Oil blogging universe afloat and relatively interesting LT. It sure isn’t easy this time of year…

6. Racki says:

Lt suggested fiddler in the bottom six, if not mistaken.. That would be fine. Even if they sign a good #2 I think that still is a decent decision. As a #2c suggestion, obviously that is terrible, but that isn’t the idea.

I think MacT is going to just have to bite the bullet and throw cash at the Soviets.

7. slopitch says:

Here’s what I do:
    Keep Gagner and give him a split role of 3C and 2RW with PP time.
    Surround him with responsible wingers
    Trade Yak for Erhoff and Grigersons
    Draft Ekblad if you can, otherwise draft Bennett and give him another year in juniors
    Give Nurse another year in juniors. I think Klef is ready.
    Chase NHL responsible 2 way players like the names LT suggested

Getting Ekblad is key. The final 4 have McDonough, Subban, Keith and Doughty (who is the best in the league in my books). Oilers don’t compete without their top pairing guy.

8. Spydyr says:

Imagine if the Oilers had only lost that last game they would have had the first overall pick.Without giving up a thing.

They cannot even lose right.

9. Pouzar says:

nycoil:
    must keep 89.

Go Canada and go Delaet.

If 89 is here next year that saves me a ton of heartache cause I won’t be watching.

Ditto on DeLaet!
    And I’ll throw in a welcome back Weirsy who cinched his card for next year!

10. nycoil says:

Racki,

I don’t see where anyone said Fiddler is 2C. But if he is 4C and Gordon is 3C and that’s it in the above scenario where Gagner is likely traded away either Arco or Lander is 2C then…which is setting up for McDavid or Eichel.

Yes, need a Grabo or Stastny or trade for a 2C. Severe need, I think. While improving the 4th line is good, I would rather the approach where we go top down and push everyone down into those roles rather than the bottom up approach. If we can add Grabo and that means Arco/Lander is 4C, OK. Even better if eventually Gordon is 4C. Same for the blue. Want to see a Niskanen or Markov or Ehrhoff push Petry down to #2 or ideally second pair with Marincin with two new hires up top.

I do suspect, like LT says, if Oiler history holds, Petry is vulnerable if they draft EKBLAD. Gagner + Petry for Brayden Schenn? Or something like that?

11. Racki says:

nycoil,

I Gotcha. I’m not sure everyone is saying what you are on the c subject, but that does make sense. If Arco, Lander or Gagner is #2c,yes, the team is doomed again, I believe.

I’m not so sure Philly would do the Schenn deal. I’d definitely do it though. Only problem is they would have a LOT of work to do on D. They have a lot as is

Fiddler is a solid pickup imo. The Oilers have some options for 2line C in house, and I’m sure they’ll try to upgrade. Tough season, they arenot an attractive destination. If Grabovski/Kulemin sign in NJ, then we’re looking Bolland. Right? I’m not sure the $$ required are worth it.

Sign Fiddler, run your 4C’s as Nuge-Arco/Gagner-Gordon-Fiddler, with Fiddler the guy who can jump in as needed.

We can talk O’Reilly or Stastny, but I don’t believe the summer sets up that way.

nycoil:
    Woodguy,
    Jaded for McDavid
    Degraded for McDavid
    Cascaded for McDavid
    Relegated for McDavid

Things ease up if MacT’s willing to trade those players.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I missed the Edler talk. what’s the source there?

With Gillis gone, there may be more favorable deals to be had with the Nucks. But I’d still chase out of division.

———
    Kulikov. Obviously, I’m a big fan. Do it and don’t stop there.

———
    I’m surprised to see you list Reinhart there. I’d guess by now the Oil have imbibed some of the Bennett chatter and have something like Ekblad, Draisaitl/Bennett, Reinhart going.

———-
    The UFA market is better on D than you are suggesting here.

Boyle is out there now. To which we can add Fayne, Niskanen, Quincey, Gilbert, Hainsey… and to a lesser degree Stralman and Nikitin (the latter I don’t have much interest in at all).

With all the cap space, I’d target a couple of those guys and hope you get one.

———–

15. G Money says:

Spydyr:
    Imagine if the Oilers had only lost that last gamethey would have had the first overall pick.Without giving up a thing.

They cannot even lose right.

It doesn’t work that way. The fact that the #29 team won the lottery this time doesn’t mean that’s what would happen if the order were changed. If the Oilers lose that last game, it’s a completely different collection of slips in the hat (or whatever) when the lottery selection occurs. So whatever gets picked will be inherently, automatically different as well. If Edmonton had lost that last game and finished in 29th, maybe Calgary wins the lottery.

16. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think a couple of smart trades (smallish — say Gagner for picks); draft at 3; and, spend at the market (a C, 2 Ws and a couple D) wouldn’t be that onerous or hard to accomplish.

In fact, I think what you are describing (along with re-signing Petry to a reasonable contract) is realistically the absolute best case scenario of what you could expect MacT to accomplish this summer.

17. Hammers says:

I mentioned last night Gags for Umberger and we keep him 2 years before buying him out . Perfect tweener for 1 of the kids to make it in a couple of years .We then have Gordon /Umberger / Hendricks as a responsible 3rd line . Forget Ekblad and take Bennet or Drasaitle and play him (As much as they should go back this is the Oilers ) ie , Yak / Perron / Drasaitle . If he can get a Fiddler or Malhotra our 4th line starts to look more like an NHL line with any of Joensuu / Lander / Pitlick/ Gazdic /Arco .Resign Petry & Schultz aprox $ 4 mill each and he has $ 7-8 mill to swing for a home run for his new “D” . Need some luck but its possible .

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

At 34 I wonder about a guy like Fiddler.

Is this Belanger?

19. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

On the topic of trading Gagner for picks, here’s something to mull over. Shero is out in Pittsburgh, so at the draft, if the Oilers move Gagner to the Islanders for two 2nd round picks, could MacTavish flip a prospect and a pick to the Pens for a defenseman? New GM, looking to restock a draft cupboard his predecessor had depleted, etc. Or maybe even move Gagner to the Penguins for a defenseman. They could use him as a winger and if there is anything to these “Crosby wants Gagner” rumours then perhaps there is an opportunity here.

Personally, I don’t believe that the Oilers have all that many obstacles around the league to making a deal. Florida is looking, as are the Penguins and Sabres, and lord knows if Gretzky ends up somehow taking a job in Washington, well MacTavish, Lowe, Katz, Messier and Gretzky could sure find time to talk deals.

The weakness facing MacTavish is that he doesn’t have many picks to work with (unless he dips into the 2015 pool) and the vultures all want the bright, shiny pieces of the puzzle. How to take a step forward without taking three steps back? The Tambellini answer: take one step to the side.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Spydyr:

They cannot even lose right.

Losing to the Nucks is never an option. Never.

It was that win against the Ducks that cost us. Played terrible that game too

21. nycoil says:

Re: Edler- been talked about since the deadline rumors about Detroit’s interest. He has a limited NMC I believe, though, so would he waive to come to Edmonton and would Benning trade him to Edmonton? Doubt it.

Agree with Rom on the UFA D-front. Maybe it lack super high end guys, but there’s a handful of top 4 guys (for short term) out there who could push the youngsters down a few notches into their appropriate roles (Schultz 3rd pairing with PP, Petry and Marincin 2nd pairing, Klefbom top pairing OKC, Nurse top pairing SSM). I think that’s what MacT has to target. If he is banking on 3 guys with under 50 games’ experience on the blue and Schultz as well, seriously, just wake me up in June 2015.

LT- always appreciate your insight and I admit I have been a little bit disheartened by your post-MacT-exit-interview sense of doom. I just hope MacT is actually aiming higher and help is on the way this summer, because I can see this team improving quite a bit with a two-way 2C, two serviceable, experienced top 4D (Niskanen/Fayne/Boyle/Markov/Hainsey), and a two-way bottom 6 winger, in order of most difficult to procure to easiest.

It seems like a lot, but I see less holes to fill than I did last year at this point (although this assumes Yakupov can step up and replace some of 83′s production). Hallelujah for the goaltending to at least be looking better at the top level.

P.S.- wrote in the prior post, but lots of Eastern Conference dance partners out there. There is some hope, still. Let’s see what MacT can do.

And please no to Umberger, as Rom has eloquently laid out for us several times.

22. RexLibris says:

Good article from Ryan Lambert over at FN (sorry, I feel dirty just suggesting it) about the “debate” between analytics and eye-test groups.

Passionate, informed and well-written. I recommend it.

23. Logan91 says:

LT, if Ekblad and Reinhart are both gone you think they would pass up Bennett?

Logan91:
    LT, if Ekblad and Reinhart are both gone you think they would pass up Bennett?

Yes, I believe they will

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I missed the Edler talk. what’s the source there?

———
    Kulikov. Obviously, I’m a big fan. Do it and don’t stop there.

———

———-
    The UFA market is better on D than you are suggesting here.

With all the cap space, I’d target a couple of those guys and hope you get one.

———–

source USA Today column. Klein? Someone

re Bennett. There’s something about him, don’t know if it’s skating or injury worry. But there’s something NHL scouts have identified imo. I don’t think he’ll go #1, is what I’m saying. I don’t think he’llbe the first center taken. Why?

No one will tell me.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 1m
    2014 draft prospect Jake Virtanen of Calgary will be out four to six months in the wake of shoulder surgery. Potential top-10 pick.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ah… I see.

funny, I read that this morning regarding the Yak to Panthers idea. Missed the Edler thing altogether.

28. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I think we should believe Klefbom is cemented into this line up go forward. Room will be made for him to play and to play with regularity. He’s a fixture now

29. VanOil says:

TSN is shopping Kesler.

There seems no way Vancouver would do a deal with Edm but Selke winning 2nd line Centers would change the Oilers in a hurry.

30. Logan91 says:

Lowetide: source USA Today column. Klein? Someone

No one will tell me.

I’m not 100 percent sold on Draisaitl, but I think everyone should be happy with any of Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennet, and Draisaitl. I personally think Bennett will end up being the best player of the draft.

With Mac T in charge I don’t think anyone should be worried about any silly decisions or bad picks though.

31. vinotintazo says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

I think he will be in the lineup, but this is a mistake, let the kid play a full year in the AHL, and next year bring him in.

32. VanOil says:

The MacT verbal says it will never happen but I would be happier if the Oilers trade Schultz than Petry. Trading away any NHL capable Dmen would just be creating a further whole in sieve.

The Oilers signing Petry there best defense man will be one of the highlights of the summer. if they do it.

33. Clay says:

Will we be disappointed? Probably.

This goes without saying if you’re an Oilers fan. I look forward to a day where there is optimism.

34. WeirsBeard says:

Surely MacT sees the lack of adequate depth players. Nashville and Phoenix always seem to have these guys. Should it be that difficult to sign these guys when smart but money-limited management teams find them year after year? The big minute defender I can agree is more difficult to find right now.

35. LostBoy says:

VanOil:
    TSN is shopping Kesler.

Kesler would be golden, but it’s more than just VAN trading within the division. He has a full NTC. The talk was that he was willing to submit a list to facilitate a trade. Obviously there’s not much chance Edmonton would be on it.

36. Loweblow says:

You honestly believe Nurse will see 9 games at the start of next season? LT you obviously never watch any of the Baron games when Nurse was with them, he’s not even close. Best bet, another year in the OHL and then some time in the AHL

37. cdean says:

If the Oilers are looking to insert a new 2C then it will probably will be from a trade, the UFA list is too thin and not guaranteed to sign here.

Most likely they keep Gagner or they are going to have Draisatl or Arcobello replace him. Not attractive options I like Arcobello but we also need another C and I do not know if Lander is the one you want to go for. Imagine if they trade away Gagner + for a defensemen (even worse if it is only for picks), our C depth is Nuge – Arco – Gordon – Lander.

Please do not send Gagner away for picks.

38. Racki says:

Lowetide: That’s why I wrote the article the other day. HOW do the Oilers get where they need to be this summer? Their assets are devalued, free agents would need massive paydays, etc. Tough, tough situation UNLESS you want to trade Petry, Marincin and Klefbom.

Things ease up if MacT’s willing to trade those players.

I think if the rest of the league values Marincin or Klefbom like we do, I would shop one of them if it is a big part of getting a guy like Phaneuf . It’s not that I don’t think they are good, it’s that I think the Oilers need someone soon who is not just NHL ready but capable of bearing much of the burden while the other remaining young guys are being introed into the NHL.

I don’t think this is the popular opinion because people immediately think “why give up ten years of Marincin to get a few years (reality is at least double that, if he stays for his deal) of someone like Phaneuf?”. But the way I see it is, it’s not just several years of the Phaneuf type D, but it’s going to help Klefbom or others reach their potential better because they aren’t going to be thrown to the wolves and in over their head. We have seen what that does for development before, many times. I see that kind of player as an investment in development of future D.

39. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

The NMC is interesting. A good year may increase his trade value, but the NMC kicking in on July 1 will certainly affect it. The NMC was an incentive for Sam to have a good year, but the injury undercut that and it looks like a June trade will completely kill the NMC.

“If a player waives a clause to accept a trade to a new team, it is rare he will do so without a promise that the acquiring team will continue to honour the clause. Brad Richards, when traded from Tampa Bay to Dallas in 2007-08, is an example of this. However, if the player is traded before a clause has kicked in, that clause is automatically ruled void”

40. russ99 says:

I don’t think FA overpays is a much of an issue as we think:

As of Capgeek we have $26.4M under the cap next year. If Gagner is dealt and Petry/Schultz re-signed that changes to $24M or so.

You target one or two top guys on July 1st, (like Grabovsky and Boyle) and give them the bigger contracts. Then add 2-3 veteran bottom six forwards and another veteran defenseman cheaper a month or two later.

None of these guys being on the books 3 years from now when we have players to take those spots from the system.

41. Racki says:

How many of you would be content with the Oilers having draisaitl Bennett or Reinhart as 2c if his wingers are Perron and a very reliable vet scorer (no name comes to mind yet). I’m just wondering. If MacT comes up dry landing a 2c,getting a reliable winger might not be anywhere as hard. That seems in line with the Oilers way as of late, but I hope that doesn’t happen.

42. Shau-co says:

What do you think of the following trade idea with Florida?

Yakupov, 3rd overall
    for
    Gudbranson, 1st overall

43. rickithebear says:

Cup championships is about good even depth.
    Cup finalist Dmen +/-
    PIT Gill +8; Scuderi +5; Eaton +4; Gonchar +3
    DET lidstrom +11; Rafalski +11; Ericsson +9; lebda +8; B. Stuart +5
    09-10
    CHI Campbell +11; Hjarlmasson +9; Seabrook +8; Sopel +7; keith +2
    PHI Carle+6; Timonen +6; pronger +5
    10-11
    BOS Chara +16; Seidenberg +12; Boychuck +12; Ference +10; Kaberle +8; Mcquaid +8
    VCR Bieksa +5; Hamhuis +5; Rome =3
    11-12
    LAK Doughty +11; M. Greene +9; Scuderi +9; Mitchell +7; Martinez +5
    NJD Salvador +9; Volchenkov +7; Fayne +5; Larsson +3; Harrold +2
    12-13
    CHI Oduya +12; Keith +10; Hjarlmasson +10; Rozival +9
    BOS Mcquaid +9; Chara +7; Krug +5; Boychuck +4; Ference +2
    13-14
    NYR Stralman +7; Klien +7; Staal +6; moore +2; Mcdonnagh & girardi -2
    MTL Weaver +8; Boullion +4; Beulieu +2; Gorges +1; Subban -1; Markov -4; Emelin -4
    CHI Keith +5; Brookbank +4; Seabrook +3; oduya +3
    LAK Doughty +7; Muzzin +5; Martinez +3; Mitchell +3.

You need the full d group to be effective.

44. Caramel Obvious says:

Any analysis of what the Oilers should do has to begin with where they are. And where they are is miles from a contender.

The Kings had a championship core, two or three great players (Kopitar, Doughty, Carter) and have added two really good young players to this mix (Pearson and Toffoli).

The Oilers don’t match up on any of these levels. They are less deep, have less top level talent, and have worse young players. So what do you do?

Well you can’t trade what young hope you have (Yakupov, Marincin, Klefbom) because these are the only hope you have a matching the depth and talent of the best teams. The Oilers rebuild has been stalled by their inability to get anything out of the draft outside the first round. Until that changes they are in a bad spot.

The only thing going for them is cap space and so that’s what you have to leverage. Spend money on free agents as wisely as possible. Then hope. GMoney is right. That’s the best that can be done. There is no magic trade that will fix this problem.

45. Loweblow says:

Caramel Obvious.

Just have to look at Edm’s attempt to sign Clarkson, and you’ll know no top FA will come to Edmonton until they are a playoff team. Also the Oilers don’t need another bad contract like Ference’s. The Oilers need to let some of prospects play, instead of signing crap like Acton and Hamilton, some of them might surprise some fans.

46. LostBoy says:

As I understand the Gagner NMC, he only has it for the second year of his contract, i.e., for the 2014-2015 contract year. It goes away for the third year. At least that’s what capgeek says, citing TSN, and it’s also what this Sun story by van Diest said at the time:

(and the same thing is said in other stories on the deal)

So it’s not really now or never as far as trades. He just can’t be moved in season this coming year.

47. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

LostBoy:
    As I understand the Gagner NMC, he only has it for the second year of his contract, i.e., for the 2014-2015 contract year.It goes away for the third year.At least that’s what capgeek says, citing TSN, and it’s also what this Sun story by van Diest said at the time:

(and the same thing is said in other stories on the deal)

So it’s not really now or never as far as trades.He just can’t be moved in season this coming year.

As per capgeek it never kicks in anywhere if he’s traded first. So max trade value is this month or at the end of a rebound year.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LostBoy,

I think he can be moved under the terms of the clause also. It sounds like the two parties have agreed to move on. If the Oil find a trade after the clause kicks in, unless it’s something Sam hates, he probably won’t move to block it.

49. vinotintazo says:

Racki:

lets hope it doesnt turn out like the Smyth-Hall-Hemsky experiment.

50. LostBoy says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well, sure, players with NTC or NMC can always waive them, it just puts them in the driver’s seat with respect to acceptable destinations.

What (genuinely asking, not contesting) is the source(s) of the notion that Gagner is ready to move on? Has it been reported on or speculated about by anyone likely to have some insight into it? (e.g., Matheson, whoever)

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LostBoy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

What (genuinely asking, not contesting) is the source(s) of the notion that Gagner is ready to move on?Has it been reported on or speculated about by anyone likely to have some insight into it?(e.g., Matheson, whoever)

To be honest I can’t recall. But it was something Matty or Jones wrote. sounded a lot like Gagner was ready to move on too.

maybe not. really don’t know.

52. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

LostBoy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Whether he is likely to agree or not it is likely to affect value. If they don’t trade him in June they’re content to see how the full year goes.

53. VanOil says:

I could see Gagner being happy and very successful playing on NYI top line with his childhood friend Tavares.

I think there is value in keeping Gagner on the Oilers until the draft deadline of the last year of his contract. This would give the Oilers a chance to properly develop his replacement from this years draft pick. For all Sam’s flaws he is an NHL player on a team that does not have enough of them. Moving him would not be addition by subtraction unlike say moving on from Belanger and Barker was.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wow

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 2m
    #ISLES NEWS: Islanders Retain First Round Selection in 2014 NHL Draft – http://nyisl.es/x9IL5

Not really surprising, but the Isles look like they think they can win next year.

55. nycoil says:

Man, I am really seeing Tyler Myers bad this game. Not just that brutal giveaway, but he has looked terrible all game.

56. dsr29 says:

If anyone was looking for another reason to be worried about the oilers next year Scrivens is doing his best Dubnyk at the WC right now.

57. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    wow

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders2m

They do draft 5th this year though. Even though next year is McDavid draft, it is criminal to me for a GM to expect to finish in the bottom 5 (lottery excluded and not accounting for depth of draft) in the coming year before it even starts. Of course they could win the Lotto in a later standing too, but the chances aren’t so high. I think it’s good faith GMing to give up next year ‘s pick. Good on them. Also good for Buffalo.. Two Lotto chances, baby!

58. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

dsr29:

Who needs to look when they find us so easily? Pekka Rinne skkooled young Ben.

59. Racki says:

Speaking of Islanders.. 4 Yr deal, $4.5m per year for Halak.. Done. Cue long term injury / drop in performance

LT, if Ekblad and Reinhart are both gone you think they would pass up Bennett?
    Yes, I believe they will

Fiddler was not fleet of foot in his prime.

At 34 he’s glacial.

Can play the game, but not at the pace the Oilers need.

If Kulimen and Grabbo are a package that lowers the number of competitors for them. Might not be impossible, and the Oilers can afford short term overpays right now.

CBJ wants more scoring on the wing and will pay Anisimov or Dubinsky to get a good one.

61. OilClog says:

I don’t see how MacT passes on Bennett in any way shape or form. MacT isn’t perfect but he’s not going to walk away from the Podium without Bennett if he’s still there to take.

Replacing Gags with any of the rookies as the 2nd line C will not help anything next season. Eakins will butcher the kid and we’ll end up selling off more for nothing… Woooooooo Oilers!

1) The OIlers have a 4th line and the pressbox filled.

Hendricks, Lander, Arcobello, Pitlick, Gadzic

The OIlers can go with what they have here. They have 4 guys who can take a faceoff.

2) Free agent wingers tend to be cheaper than free agents centres. And wingers tend to be more easily available in trade. Since the Oilers are likely drafting their future 2nd centre in Bennett or Reinhart, instead of thinking 2nd line/3rd line, think tough minutes line/softminutes line, for this year

i.e. Probably better value trying to find a winger for a tough minutes line by going with Perron/Gordon and new guy (Kulemin, Bourque, etc.)

3) That leaves one with assembling a soft minutes line with Yakupov (or replacement), Gagner (or replacement) and a 2nd new winger. (Penner, if you can’t get both Bourque and Kulemin).

A 4th line of Hendricks, Lander, and Arcobello should be capable of D-zone starts against lines 2-3-4 of the opposition, freeing Gordon’s tough minutes line for more balanced zone starts, utilizing Gordon’s faceoff ability offensively to sustain offensive zone time with two wingers (Perron and a Kulemin-type) who can cycle.

On defense, I target Mike Green (a veteran top 4 RD type..or Bryan Campbell or Tom Gilbert) to play with Ference. Marincin and Petry. Klefbom and Schultz. And Matt Greene to be #7.

The key to the summer is to get a winger for Perron and Gordon two create a 2nd tough minutes line and a competent right D to play with Ference.

This creates space to not have to make bad trades for Gagner and Yakupov when they are undervalued.

63. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

Re: Sam Bennett

Did you see Brock Otten’s write up on Sam Bennett

64. slopitch says:

@Rondo: thanks for the read.

I think the Oilers will be happy with either Bennett or Ekblad. Even Reinhart would be a good consolation. Its hopefully their last chance in a while to add a sure topend prospect.

65. Rondo says:

Brock Otten on Sam Bennett

2. Sam Bennett – Forward – Kingston Frontenacs

“That brings us to Sam Bennett, who is basically the slightly bigger, slightly more physical Robby Fabbri, and that’s why he’s in contention for first overall. As a draft eligible player, Bennett dominated this year’s OHL coaches poll, winning the smartest player, best playmaker, and best stickhandler, while finishing 3rd in the best defensive forward. All those accolades were deserving as Bennett is one of the most complete draft prospects I’ve ever seen. He’s incredibly shifty one on one and does a great job at using his skating ability (his agility and ability to turn is exceptional) in conjunction with his terrific puck skill, to create lanes for him to shoot. His acceleration is very deceptive and he’s able to beat defenders down the wing to the net, or explode off the wall to create scoring chances. As previously mentioned, Bennett is also a fantastic playmaker as he does a great job of spotting open teammates, especially off the rush and through the cycle. If the Fronts lose possession, Bennett fights hard to get the puck back and is a very effective backchecker, as well as board player. He also excels in the physical side of the game, especially on the forecheck where he’s eager to make a hit to force a turnover. To put the icing on the cake, there wasn’t a more consistent player in the league this year than Bennett, who had a 25 game point streak through November-January. I really can’t say a bad thing about his game. He just needs to get stronger to ply his trade at the next level and you’re looking at a potential captain and offensive leader for your hockey team.”

66. Racki says:

Most scouting reports seem to say it’s ekblad and Bennett 1/2 then a drop to everyone else (although still good players later). For that reason, I think any team that passes on Ekblad or Bennett if they don’t take the other guy will be foolish to do so. I’m calling it: Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl, Reinhart. Assuming Katz’s kid doesn’t veto ;)

67. wintoon says:

Now that the NYI have decided to keep their 2014 #5 draft pick, should they be a trade target.?

What would it take for MacT to get the #5 to go with our #3?

Would it be worth our 2015 first rounder and Gagner? Would that be enough? If it worked we might be in the position to add two key pieces this June (Draisaitl or Reinhart and Dal Calle or Fleury)

68. denny33 says:

Pouzar,

***************************************************************************************
    Agreed….watching Sam live here in Winnipeg was embarrassing.

Ryan Whitney
    Eric Belanger
    Sam Gagner.

Sam’s “pretend” forecheck was just sad….

69. Racki says:

wintoon:

What would it take for MacT to get the #5 to go with our #3?

They won’t give it up. They’ll trade up.. Maybe even trade down, but they aren’t giving up that when they just gave up the 2015 1st

I like the Halak singing in NYI.

They had some nice underlying number with the 4th worst 5v5 SV% in the NHL at .911

Halak posted a .926 at 5v5 last year, good for about 17th in the NHL among regulars.

NYI allowed 1922 SA last year at 5v5.

If Halak the back up can put up .925 they would allow 27 less GA at 5v5

That alone would have taken them to 11th in Goal diff in EC.

Let’s add in 4v5 SV%.

NYI had a league worst .832. Gave up 57 goals on 340 shots

Halak put up a .900 (very good number, average is about .880)

Give NYI that last year and thats 34 GA 4v5 instead of 57, so another 23 goals better.

Now NYI has give up 50 less goals and their goal diff goes from -42 to +8.

Goes from 14th in the conference to 7th, right behind MTL at +11.

Add to this a healthy Tavares, another year for their good young D and I think NYI has a real shot at the playoffs.

At the very worst the bookies will hate them more than they should to start the year so bet them every game for value.

71. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

Fiddler was not fleet of foot in his prime.
    At 34 he’s glacial.
    Can play the game, but not at the pace the Oilers need
    ****************************************************************
    Sounds eerily familiar to what some were saying last year about a certain UFA defenceman….

Could not agree more with you……

72. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

denny33:
    Woodguy,

Fiddler was not fleet of foot in his prime.
    At 34 he’s glacial.
    Can play the game, but not at the pace the Oilers need
    ****************************************************************

Could not agree more with you……

let’s collect the whole set.

73. sliderule says:

Caramel Obvious,

We keep hearing the excuses for the lack of success in oilers drafting after first round.

It’s to early to tell as you need at least five years even as most are doing nothing to assure that there is hope.

It’s mostly luck and the oilers are just not lucky.

The oilers are drafting well it’s just our shitty development.Fix that and superstars.

You folks are by and large pretty smart.Its pretty much established as a non sunbelt team the only way to build is thru the draft.

Tell me if you had he bucks to buy this team what would you do to improve their chance of success.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule:
    Caramel Obvious,

It’s to early to tell as you needat least five years even as most are doing nothing to assure that there is hope.

It’s mostly luck and the oilers are just not lucky.

I’d differentiate between an excuse and an explanation.

Also… while we can certainly quibble about the actions taken, it’s pretty clear the Oil have spent a lot of cash investing in people and institutions for development.

75. Deadman Waiting says:

I wouldn’t put it past either MacT or Eakins to enter the season with a triple crowd of lithium-NICAD batterymates a la Nuke Laloosh Ference. Marincin only has half a season. He’s still a rookie in my books, like any farm boy forty years ago driving the harvester at age thirteen with half as much supervision as the year before.

Somehow I suspect MacT envisions Niedermayer–Nurse as his second pair sooner rather than later.

Clarification: If Nurse doesn’t start in the fall, it could be due just as much to MacT failing to swing a sufficient hitch over the summer than an underlying sentiment of slow. In my mind MacT will go there, if he can land a horse (corollary: he’ll pay a pretty coin should the opportunity arise).

76. Big Dan says:

Pouzar,

Pouzar, if the Oilers would have lost that last game of the year to Calgary, they would have drafted Kyle Turris #1 overall. That 2007 draft was one of the worst days in Oiler franchise history (trading Parise for Pouliot and Jacques was painful too).

It was bad enough Lowe drafted Alex Plante with the 15th pick (I remember swearing at the TV because I really wanted David Perron). He then traded his 2nd pick so he could move UP to pick Riley Nash for god’s sake.

But he also almost made a deal to trade up from 6th to 1st in a multiple team deal because he had a hard-on for Kyle Turris. Paul Holmgren backed down at the last second because he was worried JVR would not be available.

Can you imagine Turris and his pencil frame here in Edmonton? He would have been rushed just like Phoenix did, fail miserably, and get booed out of town because we would have gnashed our teeth watching Patrick Kane’s success in Chicago.