NEW TOP 10 FOR 2014 ENTRY DRAFT

The Edmonton Oilers hold down the third overall selection in 2014′s entry draft. This is the period in the spring where European kids start to get a push, mostly because the U18 WHC’s are the last chance Texaco (and sometimes the first Chance Texaco, and sometimes even the Choke and Puke) for scouts to see them. There’s always tweaking. Here’s my current top 10 for the 2014 edition.

TOP 10, 2014

1. C Sam Bennett (57GP, 36-55-91) Kingston Frontenacs (OHL). There’s just too much. A complete skill set, quality even-strength center who plays with an edge. He’s not a big man, but isn’t a small forward either. The best player in this year’s draft.
  2. D Aaron Ekblad (58GP, 23-30-53) Barrie Colts (OHL). Loses the number one ranking for two reasons. First, the risk factor on defensemen is higher, and second there appears to be some concern that Ekblad, unique among the top players this season, may have reached his outer marker. A fine player, but it could be a case of what you see is what you get.
  3. C Sam Reinhart (60GP, 36-69-105) Kootenay Ice (WHL). Although he’s ranked third, Reinhart is in the group we could see go first overall. Terrific playmaker, impact power-play performer. Lacks high gear.
  4. C Leon Draisaitl (64GP, 38-67-105) Prince Albert Raiders (WHL). Central Scouting likes his big, power-forward style game. The Oilers are strong on Draisaitl according to Jim Matheson, whose can-attached-to-a-string appears to be picking up intel again.
  5. L Michael Dal Colle (60GP, 36-69-105) Oshawa Generals (OHL). He’s trending as a top player, and could pass Draisaitl on draft day. High degree of skill, and the scouts say “projectable body” who could end up being a PF type.
  6. R Kasperi Kapanen (47GP, 7-7-14) Kalpa (Sm-Liiga). Along with Bennett, the most complete player available in this year’s draft. Two-way skills, and his offense is downplayed here because he was playing in the men’s league. The biggest mover this spring, he’s worthy.
  7. L Nick Ritchie (61GP, 39-35-74) Peterborough Petes (OHL). This kid is a monster already, 6.03 and 229 at 18. A team might jump up and grab him earlier, he’s a very attractive player.
  8. L Nikolaj Ehlers (63GP, 49-55-104) Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL). The Q just rolls these guys off the assembly line now, it’s absolutely nuts. Incredible skill, he might end up being the best of the bunch.
  9. L Jake Virtanen (71GP, 45-26-71) Calgary Hitmen (WHL). The modern Willi Plett is going to force his way into the top 10 based on scoring and rugged play. A very nice scoring option, his 45 goals pace the top end of the draft.
  10. L William Nylander (22GP, 1-6-7) Modo (SHL). His WHC performance gets him on the list, and a team needed offense may jump up and take him higher. I think he’s the most skilled player available this season.

85 Responses to "NEW TOP 10 FOR 2014 ENTRY DRAFT"

1. Rondo says:

Corey Pronman released his list on ESPN only for subscribers however he did give some numbers

1.Ekblad

2.Bennett

3.Nylander

4.Reinhart ( sounds like)

Leon Draisaitl (No. 7)

Michael Dal Colle (No. 8)

Haydn Fleury (No. 10)

Lowdown at 10, TSN 1260

10:05 Dennis King
    10:25 Rom from Oilers Rig
    11:00 Corey Graham
    11:25 Sarah Connors, Stanley Cup of Chowder.

10-1260 or @Lowetide_

3. Zangetsu says:

I agree with your top ten. Personally, I like dal collie over draisaitl. If eckblad is available at three, I hope the oil draft him, and pick up another top ten somehow. I think this years draft is deeper than it’s given credit. I’m hoping for bennett though, simply because reinhart is so similar to nuge. By my estimation the two are in a dead heat.

4. flyfish1168 says:

I would hope this will be our last lottery pick for a long time. So we should use it and get a top line player and be able to have control of his CAP hit. If we are to trade this pick or a short term gain we will have problems sooner with CAP space.

5. LMHF#1 says:

Interesting that the top guys aren’t the top goal scorers for their age this year. Looks like you could trade back and get a gem.

Still in favor of a Mogilny-type trade.

6. Pouzar says:

Wow…the Big R.A. on the show!

Awesomeness

7. Zangetsu says:

Do you think we could sweet talk anaheim for 10?

8. borisnikov says:

flyfish1168:
    I would hope this will be our last lottery pick for a long time.

If LT only had a dollar for every time those words were uttered around these parts he’d own the team by now.

Shameless plug alert… Some more new stuff by me. Green, Reinhart, Lazar and the Oilers.

9. sumaclab says:

If Eckblad is gone what do we do? I hate the not knowing. On left wing we could get a monster like Ritchie,Dal Colle or Virtanen. It almost behooves us not to look at what it would take to get another top10 pick.

I would love a a scenario where we had the Islanders 5th and our 3rd. Options galore. When do the Isles have to let Buffalo know if their giving up their pick?

I guess my question is this. Which player in the drafts top 30 makes those who play with him better . I look at Rheinharts numbers and his linemates are comparable to his. Is this a function of him making his linemate better? Or is this his linemate making him better?

Does LD play makes those he plays with better?

When your looking at players individually how do you measure their stats and play without looking at who they are teamed up with?

10. admiralmark says:

Your Top 8 is absolutely bang on the money. Assuming Oilers keep the 3rd pick the only way they will end up with Draisaitl is if they make a mistake.

11. Racki says:

Sadly, Ekblad will go #1 overall because Florida has a pretty Damn impressive bank of skilled forwards. I’d love to see Ekblad at 3 though. If he was there at 3 and I started hearing MacT say “from the Prince Albert Raiders..” I’d sprint down to the stage and push him off the Mic and yell “AARON EKBLAD OF THE BARRIE COLTS!”. I think he’s the man for this team, above all. But I’m sure I’ll be happy with anyone available at 3.

Oh Colorado in a similar boat too.. They’d take ekblad if he’s there at 2. Zero chance he drops to 3rd. I’m thinking the Panthers take ekblad though, then unsure who Colorado will take. Most likely Bennett even though they are stacked at F too.

12. Bar_Qu says:

If Kapanen is the guy as described here, then it makes real sense to look at trading down to get a vet C and Kapanen. Bold.

And frankly, since Bennett won’t be there at 3 and Draisaitl won’t be there for the fall NHL line-up, this move makes more sense, imo.

On the other hand, if the clouds part and Bennett is there at 3, run don’t walk, up to the podium and draft the boy.

13. russ99 says:

I’m still not sold on Bennett. I don’t see the offense panning out at the NHL level, especially if he’s counted on early to play a two-way game. Also his assist numbers are low compared to the other centers. Like usual, because Oilers.

I’m almost hoping he’s gone before we pick.

Draisaitl is still my pick. Scouts sometimes make too much of late season numbers.

14. Rondo says:

Surprising that Corey Pronman has Nylander at # 3 in the draft

15. Death By Misadventure says:

Zangetsu: I’m hoping for bennett though, simply because reinhart is so similar to nuge.

I’ve heard/read this meme a lot leading up to the draft, but it just doesn’t compute.

If we take Reinhart and in 5 years have 2 Datsyuks as our centers, this is somehow a bad thing?

I understand that physically they may be similar but considering the style of hockey they play, I hope the Oilers draft a 100 more.

Please don’t take this as me picking on you. I just hate the meme and it’s got to stop.

16. nycoil says:

Racki,

You would think so, but there are a few rumblings Florida isn’t totally enamored with Ekblad, and actually want to trade down, get another asset, and take a big LW to go with Barkov, Huberdeau, etc (Ritchie? Dal Colle? One of those guys).

17. Pouzar says:

Rom knocked it outta da park. Gotta be a regular LT.

18. misfit says:

I don’t get it either…but then again, I also don’t see Reinhart and Nuge being all that similar.

19. barry.moore23 says:

Seriously Rom is a real person ?!?!?! That’s awesome !!!

20. Rondo says:

Comparing Pronman and ISS recent mocks draft.

Ekblad #1 and #2

Reinhart # 4 and #1

Bennett #2 and #4

Leon D # 7 and #6

21. frjohnk says:

Good job Rom and good job Lowetide on your guests. We all hear the dregers or lebrun on the tv, but I really like the fact that you have bloggers ( great ones I might add) on your show. And I love when you have Dennis King on the show. Comical but smart guy.

22. cahill says:

Death By Misadventure: So Nuge is a Datsyuk clone whose complete game is lauded and praised, but having another one is a bad idea? I don’t get it.

I don’t get this either. I’d have no problem drafting Reinhart his point totals in his draft year and the year before his draft year are good. In every scouting report people talk about hockey sense or hockey-IQ. He seems like such as low risk player. His point totals are a touch below Hall at this point in time in his career. But they are on target or even ahead of Seguin at this point in time in his career. Having two centers that are smart, responsible defensively, high IQ’s and capable of 70+ points year in year out is the way I would like the team to be built. Look at how some very good teams build their roster with skill, two-way and high IQ at the center position and then size on the wing and skill or two-way on the other.

Boston (Bergeron, Kelly, Krejci) W (Lucic, Florek, Iginla, Thornton)
    Chicago (Toews, Shaw, Kruger) W (Bickell, Morin, Bollig, Hossa)
    Colorado (O’Reilly, Stastny, McKinnon, Duchene) W (Landeskog, McGinn, McLeod, Bordeleau)
    NYR (Stefan, Brassard, Richards) W (Nash, Kreider, Pouliott)
    Montreal (Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller * 6’2 but not overly physical) W (Pacioretty, Bourque, Weise, Moen)

I mean even LA & Anahiem outside of Getzlaf & Kopitar their centers aren’t “big physical players” they are two-way, defensive or small scoring centers. Would it be great if Reinhart was 6’4 and physical yes of course? But you don’t pass on him because he doesn’t fit the prototype of what you are looking for. You draft the best players and then build around them.

I’m not a scout but there’s something in Draisitl’s scouting reports and what I have seen that reads a little like Radek Bonk. Which in all honesty was a good player? Second line center, took on the toughs, but was never really an All-Star and only once scored more than 60 points.

From what we know Bogdan Yakimov may become the player that Draisaitl is and he’s bigger. Again no scout, but I saw Yakimov real good at the world juniors. The question the scouts may be asking one another is, “how further ahead is Draisaitl than Yakimov right now in the development process?”

23. RBB says:

Rondo,

Good morning Rondo,

Could you provide the complete list of Pronman’s rankings for those of us on too meager a salary to afford his services?

24. Rondo says:

RBB,

I don’t have it, I only read the article as far as it would go and someone listed the top 10 on the internet.

25. Melman says:

cahill,

up until a late season charge Reinhart was touted as the top F available. If Bennett and Ekblad are gone at 1-2, passing on Reinhart would be totally idiotic. Whichever F they draft should go back to junior anyway which means they and Nuge will have another year of growth & development before they play together anyway.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m a little surprised you’ve got Ritchie so high.

but I think part of that is that I still haven’t come to terms with how Vollman accounts for such a disparity in talent between the OHL and the other CHL leagues.

I thought Ehlers and Nylander might be higher on your list too… I gather it is the “range of skills” issues that have you less enthusiastic than some.

For a center, we really don’t hear anything about Nylander’s ability to defend, win faceoffs, quarterback the game, etc…. and the whole size issue.

One thing I wonder about is the comparison of Virtanen and Perlini.

Virtanen 6’1″ 210; 71gps 45-26-71 (1.00 PPG) WHL
    Perlini 6’3″ 205; 58gps 34-37-71 (1.224 PPG) OHL

Pretty similar players really. Bob has them both in top ten, Virtanen ahead:

I gather Vollman’s NHLE would give Perlini the edge (OHL weighted).

Virtanen much stronger at even strength (10 goals vs. 16) and has way more PIMs.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:
    Rom knocked it outta da park. Gotta be a regular LT.

don’t be absurd. he’s got to pay the bills off this ;)

thanks though. felt excessively rambly, like a crazed person recounting a series of trivial events as if they held great significance.

Hard to follow Rupert Pupkin too.

frjohnk:
    Good job Rom and good job Lowetide on your guests.

thanks!

28. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: don’t be absurd. he’s got to pay the bills off this

Hard to follow Rupert Pupkin too.

thanks!

Not rambly when you are making points mang. Well done.

29. G Money says:

Had a chance to tune into LT’s show for the first time in ages – nice job Rom. You’ve inspired me to add another project to my humungous data analysis projects list. Assessing draft success by team using all player data available from all leagues using NHLE.

Someday! Gotta finish my “UFA fair value contract” project first …

30. Zangetsu says:

I take whoever is there at 3- eckblad reinhart or bennett. I have bennett and reinhart as even. I have no problem playing with two nuges, but to have a nuge with a mean streak adds some versatility to the top six. Bennett is also very young for his draft, much younger than reinhart. If you think reinhart is a better player, thats fine, take BPA. If you think they’re on par however, bennett has some intangibles that make him more appealing.

31. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar:
    Wow…the Big R.A. on the show!

Awesomeness

No shit! I’m busy as hell right now, but I saw LT’s post of the schedule and had to log on to get the podcast of that. Great job man, very cool to hear a voice to connect to the written word.

32. Andy P says:

With the Pens about to spring Bylsma, I wonder if there is any chance of a blog on the possibility of Bylsma (or Trotz or Nelson) replacing Eakins?

33. Bag of Pucks says:

Anyone know of a site that parses sv pct by individual playoff series?

I’m interested in seeing how often the team with the highest sv pct wins the series, both this year, and historically (i.e. what is the baseline impact of the ‘hot’ goaltender on playoff success).

34. vinotintazo says:

Andy P:
    With the Pens about to spring Bylsma, I wonder if there is any chance of a blog on the possibility of Bylsma (or Trotz or Nelson)replacing Eakins?

MacT Said Eakins is staying. So not a chance. I hope they add new assistant coaches though

35. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks,

You may have to just total the shots and saves for each series from the game summaries.

36. justDOit says:

Andy P:

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: About the only way you’re getting rid of Eakins, is if he resigns – and then you’ll probably see Bucky promoted to HC.

ooph… dagger to the pancreas.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Anyone know of a site that parses sv pct by individual playoff series?

extraskater allows for this:

click on series and you can pick which ever you are after and then you can change the situation to 5×5 or all or whatever and look under SV%

39. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

more like a prison shiv than a dagger, but I couldn’t resist.

Interesting idea of Bylsma. I like it, if for no other reason than being able to post things like, “Well that was an aBylsmal effort from the team…”

40. Rondo says:

I’ve said it before at least interview these candidates Bylsma and Trotz, maybe they have some good ideas regarding the Oilers. I guess on the flip side Eakins would not be pleased.

41. justDOit says:

Rondo:
    I’ve said it before at least interview these candidatesBylsmaand Trotz, maybe they have some good ideas regarding the Oilers.I guess on the flip side Eakins would not be pleased.

Are you going to break the news to him?

42. justDOit says:

Interesting that Ted Nolan has coached Latvia to a 3-0-0-1 record at the WCs so far. It’s like meeting an old girlfriend from highschool, and finding out she’s wealthy and hotter than ever. The one who got away…

43. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Nylander at 3… interesting.

Is he married yet?

44. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

justDOit: Is he married yet?

no. but his mother can advise him until then.

45. justDOit says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: no. but his mother can advise him until then.

I think she’s considering it.

46. blainer says:

Rondo,

No way the oilers take Nylander at three.

47. blainer says:

I am expecting Ekblad to fall to us. If not draft Reinhart. He was also on fire in the playoffs. We have to take Ekblad if he falls to us. We need some offence from the point desperately.

48. frjohnk says:

blainer,

Drafting Ekblad is mostly redundant with our D prospects. By the time Ekblad is an impact player which best case scenario would be his 3rd nhl season, Schultz, Nurse, Marincin and Klefbom will have formed a nice top 4 of skill, size and mobility.

We need to draft a center with the top pick.

49. rickithebear says:

Based on Age curves and Even Scoring in Junior.
    likely Even NHL production at 22
    Bennett: 23 EVG 32 EVA 55 EVP
    Rheinhardt 15 EVG 25 EVA 40 EVP
    Draisaitl 15 EVG 23 EVA 38 EVP
    Dal Colle 16 EVG 22 EVA 38 EVP
    Ritchie 17 EVG 17 EVA 34 EVP
    Ehlers 24 EVG 23 EVA 47 EVP
    Virtanen 28 EVG 14 EVA 42 EVP

Virtanen 6’1″ 210lb and turns 18 in August.
    Sigh!

Hall(22)-RNH(20)-Eberle(23)
    Slepyshev(19)-Yakimov(19)-yakipov(20)
    Virtanen(17)-Chase(19)-McCarron(22)
    Moroz(20)-Khaira(19)-Houck(19)

Marincin(22)-Schultz(23)
    Klefbom(20)-Simpson(21)
    Gernat(21)-Nurse(19)

50. blainer says:

frjohnk,

Ya we shoulda picked nichuskin last year… can’t argue with on the center idea either… Will be happy with Reinhart or Bennett too. I think we are getting a good player and just hope we don’t trade it for something stupid like Phaneuf.

51. Racki says:

blainer:

I don’t disagree about Ekblad.. He was given exceptional status for a reason, and has a good mix of skills.. Good at both ends… Exactly what the Oilers need. I’m sorry (other) folks, but D is most important position IMHO.. Especially a complete D. I can be patient with whatever his timeline is to be an impact NHLer. Centre is important too, but think of the impact a guy like Pronger had.. At both ends.

However, sadly the Avs and Panthers are both well stocked with forwards (even C) so I can’t see both passing on Ekblad unless they decide to trade down. Either way.. Ekblad won’t be there at pick 3,im almost positive of that.

52. blainer says:

frjohnk,

If Bennett and Reinhart go 1and 2 would you the draft Draisaitl? Boy that will make for some interesting draft Floor entertainment. Wouldn’t it be interestinging then if they drafted Ekblad and then Maybe have a deal in place involving Nurse for that established center ala Martin Hanzal… Ya just never Know…

53. blainer says:

Racki,

Ya I’m with you on that. It would be very hard to pass on Ekblad at three. However Jones fell to fourth last year and pronman said he considers them to be very close. That pronger analogy is really good. I said when they traded him to the Ducks the oilers gave them that next years stanley cup and of course I was right…unfortunately at our expense. If Ekblad is even close to Pronger or even Subban we will be a cup contender annually. These days though it seems risky taking D high but in his case I take the risk and for Gods sake develop him properly. It is a tough decision depending who is left on the board but just to have him still ranked at 1 overall is obvious if he falls to us. Trade for the center.

54. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis: extraskater allows for this:

Excellent. Thanks!

55. Zangetsu says:

blainer,

Someone has to take it upon themselves to lynch steve smith before he ruins anymore d prospects.

56. blainer says:

Zangetsu,

Ain’t that the truth. If the oilers management and ownership want to be loyal to Steve Smith then just task him with driving the Zamboni !!!

57. Zangetsu says:

blainer,

Why do they even like him? He cost us a true dynasty (3 cups straight). Maybe they just feel bad for him?

58. blainer says:

This is true. I remember watching that game.. the tears are still there…Ok he would probably break the Zamboni and the backup Zamboni also delaying every game so forget that. Maybe we can put him in the stands selling beer…scratch that ..he would spill them most likely over me knowing my luck…lol..maybe just have him selling popcorn. Just don’t see the oilers getting rid of them if they haven’t by now.

59. Ribs says:

…And he played for the Flames! Yuck!

60. Racki says:

That’s pretty cold. Steve Smith’s hockey career was defined by one moment where he made a bad mistake. This was nowhere near representative of how he played. He was a pretty reliable D man (and physical) outside of that one bad blunder. It must be nice to live life without ever have made a mistake, but I can say I have been in his “skates”. No worse feeling than letting your team down like that.. Tough to move on from. Pretty sure people can stop kicking that dead horse.

That said, I’d like the Oilers to cut him lose, but it has nothing to do with his playing days which were quite good if you remove that black mark. One play shouldnt define a player.

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14,

thank you very much for this!

62. blainer says:

Racki,

Just a bit of light hearted humor. I am well over that mistake and got past that a long time ago just as I did with Bill Buckners Gaf. I actually agree he was a decent player for most of his career but do happen to believe they would do well to hire some better coaching for the defense. Oh and just for the record I played defense myself at a much much lower level and had a few pucks find the back of my teams twine at my expense. I am over that now too…Tough position..I still draft Ekblad if he is there at 3.

63. Ducey says:

Apparently the Sharks are looking to dump Havlat and won’t be resigning Dan Boyle.

As the entire hockey world rightly revolves around the Oilers, I ask the question, should the Oilers go after them?

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oops… I see Ducey beat me too it.

I’d look long and hard at Boyle

65. blainer says:

commonfan14,

Not sure what to make of that list Seems like this draft is all over the place. Maybe we should check Craig Buttons list too. I just don’t see the oilers drafting another small player. It seems that Bob Makenzie’s rankings always seem to be the closest. I think LT is very close with his top ten also.

66. Bag of Pucks says:

Zangetsu:
    blainer,

I think it used to be you had to win 3 in a row to be legitimately labelled a ‘dynasty’ but I think that’s going by the wayside now in the modern age of sports parity.

With 4 in 5 and 5 in 7, the majority of hockey historians now seem to unanimously refer to the Oilers of the 80′s as a dynasty. What Steve Smith cost the club (and to be fair to him, they had a significant amount of time to come back from that goal) is hockey immortality – with a very strong argument to make a claim as the best team of all time. Only the Habs of the 50′s won 5 in a row and certainly, that would seem to be an exceedingly easier accomplishment in the original 6 era.

See a lot of media bandying around the word dynasty in relation to the current Hawks team should they win this year, and thus 3 in 5 years. I’m ok with that. 3 in a row seems a fairly arbitrary measure.

Btw, on Smith’s own goal, I always thought Fuhr got off easy for not looking back at the play. Given the time & importance of the game, Cocoa was fairly nonchalant on that play (but then again, that nonchalance is part of what made him great). To be clear, I’m not saying the goal was in any way Fuhr’s fault, but the goalie’s eyes should ALWAYS be on the puck when it’s in play. Fuhr took his eye off it for a split second and it bit him in the ass.

Similarly, there was nearly an own goal in Game 7 of the Pitt/NYR series and Fleury made what I thought was an exceptionally cool athletic move under pressure to prevent it when his D-man was quite literally falling all over himself to put it in his own net.

67. Minister D- says:

Congrats there, Romo-cop! It might just be the Paul Masson talking, but your inaugural radio appearance reminded me of the latter-day work of the great Orson Welles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvxwf1jxdaM

68. Zangetsu says:

I agree the oil were a dynasty, but I wouldn’t call the hawks a dynasty unless they win this year and one of the next two. It’s hard to define I guess. Maybe if they win this year you could call them a dynasty. I would rather keep it at three years and say there are no more dynasties. Maybe the age of dynasties is dead, but you never know. I could be persuaded to change the definition to over 75% of cups in a period of 4+ years.

Holy god if you think about the oil keeping the team together and winning cups til 94 (when oilers east won). I think that is why the oil are called a dynasty; because they had much more potential. Unlike the islanders and other dynasties that ran their course, edmonton blew itself up, because oilers.

As for smith, it was just light humour. I’ll never forgive the 1986 version of him though. I wanted to rip on him for something else, but nobody really knows what the assistants do aside from opening the gate.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:

“just do anything?” is pretty much what I said to LT when he asked me on. with the same tired, drunken slurring.

70. Minister D- says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Crab apples, prickly pears! Marincin gets tetanus! Forget all this analytics stuff, THAT’s the Rom I know.

Minister D-:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

He was on fire. I had just interviewed King, and then Rom comes in with his jargon! Lordy.

72. russ99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ve wanted to see Dan Boyle in Oilers silks for a long time.

But he’s surely on the downslope of his career so the money and term would have to be right. We don’t need another Ference contract.

Guys, we can’t post Corey Pronman’s stuff. Sorry. I had to take it down.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-,

haha. thanks guys.

still sounds like an alien rambling to me. hearing your voice played back to you is very strange.

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Guys, we can’t post Corey Pronman’s stuff. Sorry. I had to take it down.

what do you make of his take on Fiala?

76. blainer says:

Good. Your list is way more accurate anyway.

Romulus Apotheosis: what do you make of his take on Fiala?

I don’t agree, but he’s had a good run. The McKenzie list may be insane compared to his mid-season, but I don’t see Fiala moving up that much. McKenzie had him at #24.

blainer:

Good. Your list is way more accurate anyway.

Well, Corey’s doing a list based on what he sees, hears and the numbers tell him. I’m doing numbers times tea leaves and historical.

btw Corey Pronman will be on the show 10:05 tomorrow, questions welcome./

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

btw Corey Pronman will be on the show 10:05 tomorrow, questions welcome./

well, that Fiala item seems like a good place to start. that’s the real outlier that I can see.

His placement of Nylander at 3 probably deserves some mention.

beyond that, you might ask him about things like DOB, NHLE, discipline scoring (EVs, ST)… though IIRC you may have asked him that before.

oh… and he mentions this is weak year for D beyond Ekblad. that seems like an interesting item, esp. after we’ve been wandering down memory lane with the 2008 list:

so many D in the first round.

81. Rondo says:

Here is a good list with the top 30 mock draft

82. PunjabiOil says:

I think while the Oilers are high on Draisaitl, it’s entirely plausible they’re not locked onto him, and would take Reinhart/Bennett over him. Opinions change – perhaps they’ve noticed he’s struggled at the World’s for Germany.

I think the Oilers have the easiest pick of the draft. Take whoever is left out of Ekblad, Reinhart, or Bennett.

Or you end up risking the Flames making you regret the pick for the next decade.

Well, lets not go there.