NHL COMBINE LIST INSTRUCTIVE FOR OILERS DRAFT

The Edmonton Oilers and the NHL combine list have had a lot in common during the Stu MacGregor era. You may have heard me talk about MBS being ‘risk averse’ when it comes to drafting, and that will likely hold true again this year. First, the history.

MACGREGOR ERA COMBINE LIST AND OILERS PICKS

2008 Oilers draft

• Jordan Eberle selected #22 overall, ranked #29 (attended combine)
  • Johan Motin selected #103 overall, unranked (attended combine)
  • Phil Cornet selected #133 overall
  • Teemu Hartikainen selected #163 overall
  • Jordan Bendfeld selected #193 overall

2009 Oilers draft

• Magnus Paajarvi selected #10 overall, ranked #10 (attended combine)
  • Anton Lander selected #40 overall, ranked HM (attended combine)
  • Troy Hesketh selected #71 overall
  • Cameron Abney selected #82 overall
  • Kyle Bigos selected #99 overall
  • Toni Rajala selected #101 overall, ranked #50 (attended combine)
  • Olivier Roy selected #133 overall, ranked HM (attended combine)

2010 Oilers draft

• Taylor Hall selected #1, ranked #1 (attended combine)
  • Tyler Pitlick selected #31, ranked #25 (attended combine)
  • Martin Marincin selected #56, ranked #71 (attended combine)
  • Curtis Hamilton selected #48, ranked 57 (attended combine)
  • Ryan Martindale selected #61, ranked 58 (attended combine)
  • Jeremie Blain selected #91
  • Tyler Bunz selected #121, not ranked (attended combine)
  • Brandon Davidson selected #162, not ranked (attended combine)
  • Drew Czerwonka selected #166
  • Kristians Pelss selected #181
  • Kellen Jones selected #202

2011 Oilers draft

• Ryan Nugent Hopkins selected #1, ranked #1 (attended combine)
  • Oscar Klefbom selected #19, ranked #21 (attended combine)
  • David Musil selected #31, ranked #41 (attended combine)
  • Samu Perhonen selected #62, ranked #51 (attended combine)
  • Travis Ewanyk selected #74, ranked HM (attended combine)
  • Dillon Simpson selected #92
  • Tobias Rieder selected #114, unranked (attended combine)
  • Martin Gernat selected #122
  • Frans Tuohimaa selected #182

2012 Oilers draft

• Nail Yakupov selected #1, ranked #1 (attended combine)
  • Mitchell Moroz selected #32, ranked #56 (attended combine)
  • Jujhar Khaira selected #63, not ranked (attended combine)
  • Daniil Zharkov selected #91, ranked #47 (attended combine)
  • Erik Gustafsson selected #93
  • Joey Laleggia selected #123
  • John McCarron selected #153

2013 Oilers draft

• Darnell Nurse selected #7, ranked #9 (attended combine)
  • Marco Roy selected #56, ranked #59 (attended combine)
  • Bogdan Yakimov selected #83 not ranked (attended combine)
  • Anton Slepyshev, selected #88 not ranked
  • Jackson Houck, selected #94 not ranked (attended combine)
  • Kyle Platzer, selected #96 not ranked
  • Aidan Muir, selected #113 not ranked
  • Evan Campbell, selected #128 not ranked
  • Ben Betker, selected #158 not ranked
  • Greg Chase, selected #188 not ranked
  • Since 2008, when making a selection inside the top 100 players, Edmonton has selected a player who was not at the combine 8 times: Troy Hesketh, Cameron Abney, Kyle Bigos, Jeremie Blain, Dillon Simpson, Erik Gustafsson, Anton Slepyshev, Kyle Platzer.  I believe Slepyshev would have been ineligible to make the trip, but am unsure.
  • Since 2008, when making a selection inside the top 100 players, Edmonton has selected a player who was at the combine 21 times.
  • Since 2008, Edmonton has chosen a combine invite after selection #100 a total of five times.

This year’s list is here.

46 Responses to "NHL COMBINE LIST INSTRUCTIVE FOR OILERS DRAFT"

1. VanOil says:

I was amused last year, wandering the streets of Toronto early one morning I came across a gaggle of teenie bopper girls all a buzz out side a downtown hotel. Were they waiting on Beiber, hell no the NHL combine was going on inside.

2. Racki says:

That’s quite the unflattering Adam Larsson draft combine photo…

(although I’d imagine most VO2 Max pics are)

3. VanOil says:

Reading all the draft reports and the this year / last year comparisons I can’t help but think if it is all worth it.

Give up this year 1st round pick say: 1st + Gagner for Myers and Grigorenko?

Give up next years 1st round pick for Kulikov and a second?

Myers, Kulikov and Grigorenko would add a lot of age appropriate talent in areas of need, is this not equal to two first round picks?

Vets can be found as UFAs, Malhotra would be my choice as I value faceoffs over face punching.

4. franksterra says:

VanOil,

I agree, knowing I don’t have the details at my fingertips, we need the 22-26 year olds. What we really need is this – just once, a real one; we need to do and win this trade:

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Best thing about a big pile of hockey players put into a box… all the glorious names.

LUC SNUGGERUD is my favorite.

EDWIN MINNEY is pretty close.

Romulus Apotheosis:

LUCSNUGGERUD is my favorite.

EDWIN MINNEY is pretty close.

There was a Dave Snuggerud years ago, wonder if they’re related.

7. sliderule says:

Other than accurate height and weight how much does the combine provide to teams?

No on ice testing or skill measurement like the NFL combine provides just a bunch of jumping and the Vo2 max testing.

The NHL does a lot of of things right but the combine is mostly a waste of time.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule,

aren’t a lot of the team interviews done then?

It’s like a big job fair.

9. Racki says:

sliderule:

No on ice testing or skill measurementlike the NFLcombine providesjust a bunch of jumping and the Vo2 max testing.

The NHLdoesa lot ofof things right but the combine is mostly a waste of time.

That said, while I shameless am plugging my own blog (which I’ve shut down, for the most part and earn no money on), I had a friend/visitor post a damn great blog post on the NHL draft combine that is worth a read. I wouldn’t link it here if I didn’t think it was legitimately good reading. The person also posts here sometimes (Zackman35). Anyways, it details what the NHL combine tells these teams, although as we know, it doesn’t tell nearly everything, unfortunately.

10. OilClog says:

If Gretz goes to Washington..

Could a Brouwer, Alzner/Green combo trade work?

It would be a good spot for Gags to land in, not sure what could be worked out but..

Is Sam and the pick good enough to land that.. What needs to be added?

11. blainer says:

The interview process is important just as it is in trying to find the correct employee. Teams are trying to find out about the way they will conduct themselves in the dressing room and as a professional…not to mention work ethic as related to compete levels on the ice. It doesn’t always work but I really think it impacted MacT’s decision in selecting Nurse last year.

12. Rondo says:

blainer,

I believe Valeri Nichushkin was ranked higher than Nurse until the combine, when he quit half way through a discipline .

13. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think job fair pretty much covers it.

I think Hall killed his interview with oilers.

Nichushkin spitting out the bit in vo2 may have cost him .I would think some of foreign players not training for the type of testing hurts them.

If it did affect teams outlook of Nichushkin it was to their loss.

14. Rondo says:

Nichushkin vs. Nurse ?

I still would take Nurse over Nichushkin today.

15. blainer says:

sliderule,

Ya I was really hoping for Nichuskin..especially in our division and the Yak connection. Man I sure hope MacT’s decision to take Nurse look smart…as I would have taken Nichuskin despite his showing at the combine…however I wasn’t privy to his interview..One has to wonder why he dropped so far as a lot of people had him as high as number 4. Picking the defenseman is a longer more painful process as I wasn’t impressed with his showing in the AHL playoffs even if he wasn’t 100%…but these are early days.

16. blainer says:

Rondo,

I was surprised a bit when I heard Nurse’s name. I was hoping that Nurse would be ready for the NHL in the fall…he is really gonna have to put some hard work in over the summer in every area if he expects to play with the Big Boys in 2014. I am not too disappointed with the selection at this moment but boy they really need to be careful with his development.. As of today he should be sent back to Junior without the nine games.. Would Love to be proved wrong and he shows better than Trouba.

Rondo:
    LT,

Is thismock draftok to post?

I think so, yes. Corey must have given approval.

18. gr8one says:

Racki: They also do the interviews too, but you’re right, it seems fairly silly, and plenty of others more connected than you or I have made similar comments. There is a lot of room for improvement here.

Shameless hoor. :p

But seriously, it is a good read.

19. czar says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Nice job on the show today.

20. gr8one says:

Lowetide: I think so, yes. Corey must have given approval.

Seems odd he would, considering it’s behind a pay wall fit subscribers at ESPN.

I know it doesn’t have the fancy explanations there, but I’d still think ESPN wouldn’t like that.

21. flyfish1168 says:

Need to vent. Just saw a video of Lucic ‘s post game rant. Starting to hate this guy. Does the NHL not have any balls to suspend this guy. Seriously 3 incidences of spearing twice to someones privates, repeat offender and only 5k fine for Dekeyers. Violence and bullying goes unpunished, way to go NHL.

22. Zangetsu says:

I never say nylander’s whole name before. Altelius, that’s so badass. I want him now.

Romulus Apotheosis: seems probable. both from Minn.

Ever been to MIN?

Snuggerud is like Smith there.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Ever been to MIN?

Snuggerud is like Smith there.

No, but I’ve got many reasons to go now.

25. Caramel Obvious says:

flyfish1168:

So yeah, I hate him too.

26. Ribs says:

Konopka banned for first 20 games of next season after testing positive for an unknown banned substance

I’m trying to recall the Oil Change clip where it sounded like they were talking about him. Was it Tambi that said they didn’t want the guy near the kids? Good call if that’s correct.

27. frjohnk says:

No hockey tonight so a bit bored, so I took a peak at last years combine results. I noticed Bogdan Yakimovs name in the top 10 for grip strength, ( left and right hand) upper body pull strength, bench press test, and seated medicine ball throw.

I don’t put much weight on the combine but with those results and if he grows into his body,I think this guy is gonna be a beast.

28. Racki says:

I wonder what the chances are that the Oilers can parlay some players or other picks and get themselves another top 10, potentially selecting Haydn Fleury if, as I can almost guarantee, Ekblad is gone before 3.

I want this team to select Ekblad, more than anything, but I don’t see Florida passing on him. But I would definitely be mighty happy if MacTavish left Philly with a top-C in hand, plus a guy that sounds like a pretty solid shutdown/physical D-man with some offensive abilities.

I don’t expect him to be in the NHL any time soon, but I don’t hear any teams complaining about having too many good D prospects in the system. However I think for the last 5 years, I’ve said “wouldn’t it be nice if the Oilers grabbed another top-10 pick?” and that never happened.. so not expecting this.

Edit: Stupid me, I forgot it’s the Sabres that draft second… I could see them passing on Ekblad, potentially. So if Florida, unexpectedly, drafts Bennett (or, less likely, Reinhart) because they feel he’s the BPA, the Oil could get Ekblad. Still unlikely though.

29. spoiler says:

I am impressed to see that Pronman ranks Ritchie 18th. I couldn’t rank him that low but it would be even harder to rank him at 7th, which appears to be the mode of that “consensus” of rankings. Maybe I have seen him bad, but Ritchie is not a player I would be trading down to get.

30. spoiler says:

Caramel Obvious: Lucic is a despicable human being. A moron, a thug, and a sociopath. That the NHL gives cover for worthless garbage like him is the worst thing about the league and puts everything they say about the importance of character and the code under question. Lucic knows no code, he’s an animal, but the NHL wants to go on with the charade of boys will be boys.
    So yeah, I hate him too.

31. spoiler says:

spoiler: I almost thought we were talking about kevinlowedallaseakinsshawnhorcofftomgilbertpaulcoffeychrispronger’swifeandthecaptainethanmoreau there.

And the Vancouver Canucks. Don’t forget them.

32. Ribs says:

spoiler: Maybe I have seen him bad, but Ritchie is not a player I would be trading down to get.

He looks so slow and his shot seems weak. But …he’s big?

A lot of hatred going on for Lucic right now. It seems a bit displaced to me. If you want to ban someone, ban guys like Matt Cooke who throw knees and deliberately try to hurt people when they least expect it. Or the guys with the chicken wings flying around giving people concussions. What’s the worst Lucic has done? Poke a few guys in the pants? Say something mean to a guy while he’s shaking his hand? Sure, he could have been classier in these recent incidents, but you have to admire the emotion that he displays. He plays on an edge that very few players these days are able to play on and I think the league could use more guys like him.

33. gcw_rocks says:

Not entirely sure McGregor its risk adverse. In over fifty prevent of the cases above when drafting in the top ninety the Oilers seem to have taken a player either before their ranking or took a player not ranked. That isn’t my definition of risk adverse.

34. nycoil says:

Sharks are moving Burns back to D and parting ways with Havlat and Boyle. Boyle has a medium blue bubble in the lower right quadrant with o-zone push and lower QofC. Would you take him on a cheap 2 year deal? I don’t know how much he expects to get paid at this point.

Just curious what people think.I’d be OK with 2 x $3.25m but not much more than that.

gcw_rocks:
    Not entirely sure McGregor its risk adverse. In over fifty prevent of the cases above when drafting in the top ninety the Oilers seem to have taken a player either before their ranking or took a player not ranked.That isn’t my definition of risk adverse.

2009 they spent three picks pissing about, but after that it’s just Blain and Simpson. From 2010 on, they’ve tightened it. A player like Slepyshev was #45 Pronman, so I would count that as a risk averse selection.

36. oliveoilers says:

Wow. Shero and Bylsma gone. Apparently you have to win a Cup every year in some places. We’re happy when we win a game. Well some of us. Others are happy with moral corgi victories.

I don’t like this firing. Smacks of arrogance, that they alone are entitled to a cup every year and those pesky teams who try to stop them are insolent upstarts! Damn their eyes! They should look to their players. Shero put a good supporting cast for Crosby and Malkin, and Bylsma is a good coach. Hmmm, if I was MacT and Eakins, might be advisable to stay off Skype for a while…Katz might be wondering. Maybe a few players shaking loose.

37. DeadmanWaking says:

Racki: damn great blog post on the NHL draft combine that is worth a read

It’s actually not a bad post, but his 120 seconds for the anaerobic lactic system struck me as misleading.

What I used to read in Coaching Science Abstracts back in the late 1990s was that this system is 80% pooched by the end of the 400 meter sprint, around 45 seconds. By the last ten strides acidosis is well into the vertical lift phase–the white cake has long since shuddered free–and you’re digging for that final burst with the Repo Man hot on your busted heels avulsing the very thread of your being through the back of your fluttering singlet (it feels like Edward Tweezerhands equipped with motorized winders) as you asphyxiate your way through the masochism brick wall–the whole of Eyes Wide Shut has played through you mind since the final turn, now the projector is slowing down like Mulholland Drive, reversing, darkening, sickening; you’re off balance, entwined in a vertiginous spiral inching you ever blackward into the black pentagram of the man in the black cape with the gold-tinged victory-hat brow-ridge and no mouth. 43.1. Clunk. 43.2. Clunk. Good news: only 75 more seconds to go.

What I’ve read more recently is that many of these numbers are surprisingly sport specific. In addition, your “unused” muscle mass also contributes to energy balance by participating in blood metabolism.

38. nycoil says:

oliveoilers,

Bylsma is a pretty bad coach. Shero probably took the axe because he stayed loyal to Bylsma too long.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nycoil:
    oliveoilers,

what makes you say Bylsma is a bad coach?

40. oliveoilers says:

nycoil,

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah, I’m with Rom here. Crosby, Malkin and the mercurial Kuntiz pretty much take care of themselves, but the rest of the trained chimps require direction. More than “Sid, Geno, we’re two down, could you please score some goals, pretty please?” That Neal trade: THAT was a good trade. Weber for Malkin rumours start now….

41. nycoil says:

I think Shero is a fine GM, and he would still have his job if he had fired Bylsma last year after getting blown away by the Bruins.

What make me say Bylsma is a bad coach? What makes you say he is a good coach? The year the Pens won the Cup, Crosby and Malkin were all-world, blowing everyone away. It’s not the old Sather line on Krushelnyski about how a “fire hydrant could score 40 on Gretz’ wing,” but it is close.

Bylsma has failed to take the Pens anywhere in 4 years since, the US Olympic team underperformed expectations again.

There are a lot of Pens fans here in the northeast US. They point to his being out-coached by the other team’s coach all the time. Failure to line-match properly, undue loyalty to ineffective players, etc. Sound familiar? Sounds like Renney with the Oilers. I think at one time he was effective, but he has been trending worse for at least the past two years.

I think you are underrating the Pens’ depth. Crosby-Malkin-Staal/Sutter is a very nice cluster of Cs. Martin and Niskanen have been very good. Letang before he was hurt. Neal and Kunitz have at least been effective, at best very good. Dupuis is like Pisani. They have the pieces to be better than they’ve achieved last year and this. They really had no business losing to the Rangers, Lundqvist or no Lundqvist.

42. oliveoilers says:

nycoil,

They lost to the Rangers because their best players weren’t their best players and the secondary scoring was lean. It seemed that the Rangers still held on to some of Tort’s defensive acumen, but managed to enhance it with Vigneault’s cheat for offense style. Vigneault seems to have adapted, so there may be something in what you say about Bylsma. It could be that he just hasn’t adapted the Pen’s game while everyone else figured out how to play them. Truth be told, this is what scares me the most about Eakins: His ability, or lack thereof, to adapt to another team’s game when they start to dominate. It’s ok to say we should be imposing our game on other teams, but the world isn’t perfect and we don’t have the ponies just yet.

43. regwald says:

nycoil:

It’s not the old Sather line on Krushelnyskiabout how a “fire hydrant could score 40 on Gretz’ wing,” but it is close.

Not sure you will see the reply, but that line was used by Sather after trading away BJ MacDonald after having 46 goals the previous season (before the trade) playing Gretzky and Brett Callighen.

44. nycoil says: