RE 13-14 DARYL KATZ: BALLERINA

Daryl Katz purchased the Edmonton Oilers on July 2, 2008. The club has been a massive financial success since then, selling out everything available and landing the Taj Mahal 2.0 for pennies. Artistically? They’re Menudo.

1. Things are looking up! Since Daryl Katz took over the Edmonton Oilers, their won-loss-tie record is 170-233-55.
  2. The last 20 games were better. No, they weren’t.
  3. Taylor Hall will have an even better year in 2014-15. It doesn’t sound like they have any idea what’s wrong with this team. Hall’s succeeding in spite of the team, he’s pure nitro.
  4. I don’t like it when you’re like this, it kind of takes away my edge. Play the Oilers back to back, that’ll get you going.
  5. Come on. Jesus. You being depressed is upsetting, let’s suss this out. Fine. What do you want to talk about.
  6. What should Daryl Katz do right now? I think the Oilers need to figure out what the hell happened this season. The last 20 games were bad, and the spin seems to suggest things were better. They were not.
  7. What was their record in the last 20 games.  9-10-1.
  8. Well, there you go! Looking good! They were outscored 47-68 in those games.
  9. What about the Corgi’s? Good direction? 949-1309 . 42%.
  10. Wow, where did you get those Corgi’s? Extra Skater, Corsi for % 5×5, did it by hand. Could be wrong, it’ll be terrible even if this isn’t the actual number. It was just an awful, horrible season, and the postseason media conference by MacT was not at all encouraging.
  11. Is that what has your gonch in a bunch? Yes.
  12. Is there a quote that frames the issue? A few.
  13. Well, roll ‘em out and let’s have a lash. MacT: “Time will prove, in my mind, that this coach (Eakins) was a very good hire for this organization. I really feel that he’s the guy to add the cultural elements and police the cultural elements necessary to build the type of quality team that we’re trying to build.”
  14. He’s worried about the room. Yes, the cultural element in the room. And policing. Think of the policing required!
  15. Look, he chose his words in a funny way. This is MacTavish. He’s brilliant with words, comfortable in front of camera’s and very effective verbally.
  16. Well, try another. MacT: “The thing that I like about Dallas, is that he’s relentless and despite the ups and downs and the difficult time the team has had over the course of year, the messaging has all stayed the same. The messaging is very clear, he’s relentless in his messaging and it’s quite clear to me watching the development of our group over the last 30 games or so, that the players are buying into the direction and leadership from our head coach.”
  17. Okay, well, lots in there. NO. THERE ISN’T! It’s relentless and messaging. That’s all he’s saying. This is the anti-MacTavish. Seriously. It’s beyond galling, it’s distressing. I’m seriously thinking of driving over to Rexall and asking if he can come out and play!
  18. Is there another? MacT: “His messaging has always been consistent, he’s relentless in his messaging. The players know what the expectation is. We’re going to have the continuity in the coaching. I think he’s always been open-minded in the discussions that I’ve had with him, which is very important. You may view him differently than I do in that regard, but he’s a very open-minded guy and he’s got a ton of confidence. You need that confidence level to do this job in today’s NHL. I think he’s going to bare himself out to be a terrific and a great coach for us.”
  19. What’s the message? They are relentless in their messaging about imposing proper cultural elements and policing them. Dallas Eakins will change and police and be relentless in turning things around and ensuring the build is building. All while keeping the same people.
  20. Good, good. Excellent. Quite.
  21. Okay, that was fun. Haha. This article, IF it exists, where’s the article, smart boy. Here.
  22. Oh.
  23. Anything else? MacT: “We have consistency of messaging, continuity of coaching are developing players and have big pieces. I’m very optimistic on the future.”
  24. Okay, now I’m concerned too. Well, there is some hope.
  25. Thank CHRIST. In this Canadian Press article, MacT says he wants a high end defender and then says “I feel strongly that we have a number of those pieces in there and those are the guys we’re going to build that team around. I want them to feel the ownership, I want them to feel the loyalty from myself and the coaching staff that we have the confidence in them to drive this team forward.”
  26. Well hell man, put it in gear and take it to the limit. The team SUCKS!
  27. He’s going to get you a defenseman. Sure. There’s something wrong with this team.
  28. Well, they’re going to be relentless in their impos…shut the hell up.
  29. This is a build. They hired MacT, you like him. I can’t get past this feeling that Daryl Katz is thinking more about Connor McDavid than the 2014-15 Oilers. There are clear issues that need to be addressed, and this starts at the top. MacT is talking about cultural issues like they have to play more Canadian music in the room. What if the PLAYERS are fine, and the system, message and delivery system are flawed. What if Eakins’ message is being communicated in an obscure or condescending fashion. What then? I honestly feel this team needs a summer of sober assessment, then a two week period where they figure out how the hell to present their ideas, how to sustain them, have the players embrace them.
  30. Well, they’re going to be relentless in their impos…I’m going to kick you in the nuts until you stop breathing. That’s relentless, and I’m in the mood.
  31. What exactly do you want? Well, I’d like accountability, and that’s Katz’ role in this mess. He has to establish the priorities with management and then the management group needs to execute the plan.
  32. What would you like to see? Dallas Eakins needs some help. The team needs to add a Craig Ramsay, and or a Perry Pearn.
  33. I don’t recognize those names, did they play with the Oilers in the 1970s? See, it’s so obvious the jokes write themselves.
  34. Well, Eakins likes his group. I’m calling bull, that’s MacT’s message about continuity. I think Eakins probably has the jam to think he can do it himself, but there has to be someone in the room who is smart enough to figure out the problems. The last guy who had the credibility to be considered a true innovator and a good instructor was Billy Moores.
  35. What about Acton? I’m sure he’s a capable guy, but you need more than one person to help the coach.
  36. I see Toronto axed the swarm, following Edmonton’s lead. Yeah, well, I think execution has a lot more to do with these things than style.
  37. Oilers can’t get anyone to come here. Complete bollocks. Not every coach is going to turn down an NHL assistant job, just the ones who are looking for head coaching opportunities.
  38. Who would you hire? Me? No idea. I don’t work in the industry.
  39. I know, but just for fun. Well, Ramsay, Pearn and Huddy is a very nice place to start. And I would talk to Todd Nelson, too.
  40. Nelson? About what? What his plans are moving forward. If he’s interested in coming to Edmonton, and helping with the transition of some of these AHL kids, that would certainly help.
  41. AHL kids? There’s no one down there worthy. I believe there’s some possibilities on that OKC roster.
  42. Like? Oscar Klefbom, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander, Horak before he left, Gernat, Davidson, on it goes.
  43. They signed Lander and he’s got a chance. A coach like Nelson might be a big help in the transition. Maybe there’s something he can suggest—a week in TC with good players in his line, maybe—that can improve this roster.
  44. What else would you like to see this summer? If they can figure out the problem with the defending and the zone entries, create some kind of accountability, add a wise coach to make sure the relentless coach is being obeyed when he’s out back eating glass, then maybe we’re going in a good direction.
  45. So, you think the procurement is going to be okay? I’m fairly confident MacT has a good idea about what is needed on the ice. It’s a matter of acquiring it, and sometimes players don’t shake loose in a timely fashion.
  46. Seems like there’s going to be some movement this season. Yeah, that’s for sure. San Jose, St. Louis, maybe Boston. I think Pittsburgh will do more than just firing Shero and Bylsma.
  47. And what does Katz have to do again? Accountability. Accountability. Goals set, goals achieved.
  48. Grump. Whatever.
  49. If you were the owner, what would you do? Bring back the original Oilers look as third jersey, tell the scouts to trust their board, call Bettman and ask him for some names of trusted  hockey people to do a forensic sweep of the organization to find holes, leaks and idiots, and then take action as needed.
  50. And hire Pouliot? Day one. He’d be executive in charge of ‘when the coach sees you in a checking role, embrace it.’
  51. Why this song? Because, if you’re introducing Van the Man to anyone (which I think is what’s going on here, for the most part) then ‘Ballerina’ should be included in the group.
  52. Why this song? It works as the final song in the movie. The city is in ruins, the hero lies bleeding out, the heroine is crying, her face splashed with sunshine (which left in the first scenes of the movie). The camera swoops behind her, pans back slowly, embraces the coming day, arches upward and kisses the sky. The strings build, Van’s voice soars and repeats, the audience is overwhelmed and moved by the climax. Roll credits. Fin.
  53. Any songs you didn’t use that are decent? Van Morrison has so many beautiful original songs you could spend a week listening and still not get to all of them. ‘Madame George’ with it’s wonderful strings, vocals and bass, and the live (from Montreaux ’74) version of ‘Bulbs’ are stunning.
  54. What’s the lesson of Van Morrison? A child born to an electrician and a tap dancer in Belfast, right at the end of World War Two, recorded possibly the greatest album ever put to vinyl at 23, and never stopped being brilliant and original. How he turned an Irish rover voice into Otis Redding’s is witchcraft, and understanding the meaning of his lyrics is for the next life—I think, for him and us.
  55. Is this the end of the series? Well, we’ll fire it up in the late summer.
  56. Any musical choices come to mind? I’ve been thinking about that. Allmans? God I love that band. Clapton? The Jam?
  57. Johnny Cash? Hell. Man. That would be grand.

102 Responses to "RE 13-14 DARYL KATZ: BALLERINA"

1. russ99 says:

I’ll get to my Katz thoughts later, but the Penguins just fired both Shero and Bylsma.

If Katz ever wanted to re-boot hockey operations, now would be the perfect time.

2. Numenius says:

LT, your evaluation of the last 20 games misses that they were disproportionately against some of the best teams. That should count for something to offset the numbers.

I also saw the team playing with more heart and less feeling sorry for themselves and giving up (unlike after the Smid trade) in those games. So your negativity about them seems excessive.

3. oliveoilers says:

“The club has been a massive financial success…”

Great RE, but you nailed it in the opening number! This is why there is reluctance for change.

Dinner Dinner Dinner, Batman! Zok! Kapow! Thunk! Crunch!

4. nycoil says:

Fine post as always, sir. And I applaud you for this monumental effort on the whole RE series this year.
    Before you picked Van, I threw the Allmans name in the hat. I second the motion to consider them later this summer. I saw Gregg and Devon down in Australia last month. They are touring parts of North America this summer. I recommend everyone to go see them before they shut it down, if you have a chance.

5. OF17 says:

I honestly think that a lot of the problem has to do with Nuge and Yakupov not being on Taylor Hall’s level yet. Of course there are huge issues with top-end defensemen and checking forwards, as well as issues with veteran leadership (Hendricks getting an A for instance), but if Nuge were scoring 70 points and Yak were popping 30 goals, this team would be in better shape. I have full confidence that both of those players will get to that level, but it’s hard to go for a “let talent drag you from the gutter” rebuild when that talent isn’t quite ready to compete. Gagner falling down the elevator shaft didn’t exactly help that either.

Unfortunately, it looks like we still have a couple more years of talent development before the Oilers are truly ready to compete, barring a few of the big trades or signings that all of us want to happen. Bennett/Reinhart/Ekblad will all round the group out nicely, but they likely won’t be superstars overnight. Honestly, I probably trade Klefbom in one deal and the 2015 1st in another in attempt to fill some holes in the top-4 D and top-2 centers. So what if we give up a top-10 pick if the player coming back is legit. This team needs some help, and those moves combined with signing or trading for a couple three Winnik, Fiddler, Kennedy, B. Boyle, Gaustad types would go a long way.

6. nycoil says:

Numenius,

8-1 loss to Calgary at home says otherwise (and that’s not the only example).

7. nycoil says:

Yup, those teams + Toronto and maybe Carolina and Ottawa are going to come calling looking to offload past-30, big-money talent to MacT for his underperforming young guns.

Caveat emptor.

8. cahill says:

Awesome series LT. This one was my fav.

Katz, needs to hold them more accountable. As much as Lowe gets the heat, it all starts with competent ownership.

Also, I’d add Dave Lewis (believe he was just fired) to the great list of coaching candidates. In my opinion Eakins has an ego, so he wouldn’t want someone to be a potential threat for head coach. Getting guys like Pearn, Ramsey & Lewis adds credibility with little to no threat of takin Eakins job.

9. LMHF#1 says:

It’s really odd to miss the days of “we need to make the playoffs to make money” but at least there was always that firm kick in the ass if you screwed up.

It really shouldn’t of had to be this way – 2006 showed us that. The fact that they learned the wrong lessons from that experience and its fallout is what stays with me and why I very rarely give anyone associated the benefit of the doubt.

Any players going to shake loose from Pittsburgh? Normally I’d say yes but do they ever have a ton of UFAs.

10. oliveoilers says:

cahill:
    Awesome series LT.This one was my fav.

Katz, needs to hold them more accountable.As much as Lowe gets the heat, it all starts with competent ownership.

Also, I’d add Dave Lewis (believe he was just fired) to the great list of coaching candidates.In my opinion Eakins has an ego, so he wouldn’t want someone to be a potential threat for head coach.Getting guys like Pearn, Ramsey & Lewis adds credibility with little to no threat of takin Eakins job.

Actually, getting someone in as a potential replacement may induce a little humility, or at least at as a foil.

11. HiddenDarts says:

” I’ve been thinking about that. Allmans? God I love that band.”

Me too, LT. I’d like to third this. I recently picked up Idlewild South, and it’s a pretty great record. Love me some Midnight Rider. But I frankly have no idea of where to go from there…

As to Bylsma, wow. If the Oilers could get him, I think we could see some success. I mean, have you seen the Penguins Bottom 6? Yikes. Scary times.

At this point, especially after watching some of the great playoff series, I am filled with a sense of dread that it could be another 5 years before the Oil even sniffs at it, much less contends. I don’t consider myself an “Eakins Hater”, but he certainly hasn’t done jack to improve this team.

Does it take more than a season to improve a team? Why don’t we ask Craig Berube. Or even Paul Maurice, frankly.

12. mumbai max says:

Slight change of topic. The success of Briere and the 4th line of the Habs, reinforces my thought that Arco is a great fit as 4C. Feisty, fast and with some skill. Arco, Hendricks and somebody. Pitlick, Joenseu, Yakimov, Lander or ?. Gazdic (sigh).

13. Andy P says:

“What if Eakins’ message is being communicated in an obscure or condescending fashion. What then? ”

Best post ever, LT. You know what’s coming next, as MO said, throwing $h!t at Bucky. But, whether Eakins is being undermined by his assistants or not, they have shown themselves to be the constant in the failure of every HC we’ve had since Quinn. Which is the polar opposite of most of the teams I have seen, i.e. clean out the entire coaching staff if a team even has one season like the many we have had to suffer through.

I don’t think this is MacT’s or Tambellini’s or Lowe’s fault, I think it lies at the feet of Batman himself. Loyalty to friends over franchise. Katz and the Assistant coaches are the only two constants that remain in the land of suck. Things are not likely to turn around until either Katz moves on, or until the assistants are replaced by competent people who support the coach and, unlike this staff, have a successful track record.

14. Tapdog says:

cahill,

Just wondering what the thoughts were here about Oates?

15. Caramel Obvious says:

What we have to face is the fact, and this is an absolute fact, that the Oilers are one of the least talented teams in the league.

It is only once this fact is realized that rational decisions can be made built around these two core principles.

1) Changing the coach won’t send this team to the playoffs. This team has no talent.
    2) Trading for Phaneuf or Letang, or whomever, especially if there is young talent going the other way, won’t send this team to the playoffs. They are too far away.

The last point is especially important since firing Eakins won’t do too much harm. Trading young players for veterans is a low risk, low reward, short term strategy. You are trading the variability of young players for the relative certainty of veterans. However, the Oilers are so far from being good that variability is what you want. The only way they ever get good is if they get lucky with their young guys. We know what Phaneuf is more or less. It isn’t enough. The only way to get someone better is to hope that Klefbom or the next first round pick, or whomever, turns into a star.

This means the appropriate strategy is to keep making incremental improvements. Sign the best free agents you can, don’t trade any of the youth we’ve seen (trade Musil and Gernat if you like), trade Gagner if you can, and hope for the best. But above all don’t try too hard to make the playoffs next year. It isn’t going to happen.

To summarize:

Trade Gagner for a defensemen
    Sign Anton Stralman
    Sign three forwards

That’s your summer. Don’t chase whales.

16. Ducey says:

I am not sure we can really draw many conclusions from the last 20 games.

By my eye they began playing better defensively. There was more back checking, fewer wide open looks at their own net. There seemed to be a more dedication to that aspect. But I think that it impacted their offense.

Cheating for offense turned into cheating for defence. They need to stop cheating at all.

They are still in transition in this regard. This coupled with the fact that they were waaaay the hell out of the playoffs yet again (which has to impact effort), means that the last 20 games are not really an indication of where they will be next year.

Anyway, the last 20 games for a team way out of it are meaningless and always have been.

17. Ducey says:

Tapdog: cahill, Would Adam Oates be one to consider? The man knows how to run a powerplay and has done wonders here once before teaching the young how to win on the button???His powerplay was tied for first at 23.4% this past season and led the league the season before at 27.2%.If none of the head coaching roles shake down to him, would he consider coming here to work with this gang???Just wondering what the thoughts were here about Oates?

I expect that you give Ovenchicken to any coach and he is going to look like a PP genius.

18. G Money says:

Man, these RE conversations lately have been total turnabout. LT and his snarky alter-ego have totally swapped roles! I guess being an Oiler fan can do that to you.

Re: the late season statements about “things have been better”. MacT is a smart man – I do believe this – and I’m trying to parse what it is this could mean. The only interpretation I can make that seems to fit the facts is that, and we all know this, that misleading near-.500 win-loss record is all goaltending.

But hey, you know what? Goaltending IS the most important part of the game. Maybe that’s what MacT means. You build the team from G out. It looks like we’ve handled that now, and it shows in the record. Next step is to move one layer out and add that high-level defender, just as MacT said. Though I would be over the moon if we added just Fayne and Niskanen.

And continuing on the the theme of building from the net outwards, you also build your forwards from the middle out. We know in this draft, unless the pick gets traded, the Oilers are going to get either a high end defender or a top notch 2C.

That would then fit in with MacT’s statements about Eakins’ approach. MacT has been in the room. It’s certainly possible that a big part of the problem with this team – what separates it visually from a hard-working team like the Flambes – is a lack of work ethic on the part of many players. And that may in part be a result of coaching instability and too many nice guys in the role. So now we get “relentless messaging” and “buy in” as the last piece of the puzzle.

Not trying to rationalize – just trying to make sense of MacT’s statements given I do believe that he is a smart guy, and does, as LT says, have a good idea of what is needed on the ice.

19. oliveoilers says:

Caramel Obvious,

But you said we have no talent. So surely we win any trade! We can only get better, according to your logic. However, if other GMs religiously follow your posts, then the chicken is out of the hen-house. They’ll know we have no talent, but we have some young talent. (?) Because they don’t have scouting departments and trade only on gut feel and ‘seen him good’.

You have to face the fact, the absolute fact, that to be a fan of a team, you have to take the slightest sip of Kool-Aid from time to time. Now, hand me the harpoon and call me Ishmael.

20. Alpine says:

Tapdog,

Weren’t the Caps garbage at ES under Oates? I think I’d stay away from him. For a team as veteran-laden and talented as that to be as bad as they are has me really questioning Oates’ ability to be a HC.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t know Van’s catalogue by age. which album was at 23?

My pick, as before, would be Floyd.

Allmans would be great… but to my ear their material is weird because they have about the same length of great music as any other great band, but it encapsulates far fewer tunes, because some of the best are 15 mins ++

And… when they get overly “blues hammer” I leave the room for another whisky sour.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I don’t know Van’s catalogue by age. which album was at 23?

My pick, as before, would be Floyd.

Astral Weeks.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

When Tim Burton’s Batman came out (1989), I was 10. The bat symbol was everywhere, shirts, posters, everything. Every kid in my school saw that movie… a number of times typically.

That was a great year. I saw my first decade flip over and enjoyed my first true Oilers’ cup (I’m a firm believer that 10 is about the right age for fandom to properly take hold). Messier was my God.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Astral Weeks.

That was my go-to makeout album for years. (as I’ve said before, I never listen to lyrics, so I’ll take your word that they are complicated… in my experience ladies love a candle or two and all those strings… wine helps, as it ever was).

25. hags9k says:

“to make sure the relentless coach is being obeyed when he’s out back eating glass”

This is gold LT.

What about Steve Downie? Could he be a legit 3rd line pick up in free agency? We could use a pest.

26. Tapdog says:

Alpine,

My thought was not to bring him in to be HC. My mistake on not being clear. I would have him here purely as an assistant. Would he be any worse than Bucky… I suspect not, plus he can help this offense, powerplay and the faceoffs.

27. Racki says:

These types of posts, the faux interviews, are very representative of Oiler fans’ bipolar natures. I think MacT and the Oilers better figure it out soon before you completely hit rock bottom.”Tyler Durden” is starting to take full control.

28. LMHF#1 says:

Funny you mention Anthony Mantha LT. 81 GP this year between reg and playoffs – 81 goals. Impressive stuff.

29. Tapdog says:

Ducey,

That is true his 24 goals on the PP helps the situation but the Caps had 5 players over 20 points on the PP, the Oil….2 I would think the Oilers have more talant to provide than what is being brought out and the coaching systems are a big part of this.
    If the Oilers could play all their games at home, the stats would fair better for them. lol

Just a thought, when I read about who everyone thinks should be brought in as an assistant, Oates just came to mind.

30. Bag of Pucks says:

Here’s the thing about MacT’s appraisal of the team’s late progress or lack thereof?

Which comes first, the culture or the adherence to system?

LT seems to be pining for some semblance of ‘big brain’ MacTavish waxing eloquently about Corgis, puck possession, and the folly of the 1-3-1. Unfortunately, I think MacT know what most HCs understood intrinsically. All the X/Os in the world don’t matter if the team isn’t buying in.

This, I believe, is where he’s seeing progress. He & Eakins inherited a stubborn young team with poor work habits that cheated for offense and dogged it on D.

Eakins’ tasks were thus.

1) Establish the ‘messaging’
    2) Break through the ingrained biases and firmly establish the new culture/expectations/accountability by being ‘relentless’
    3) Eventually the brainwashing takes hold and you have full buy-in
    4) Once it does, layer in the ‘system’ with greater complexity

We are somewhere between 2 & 3 I believe. Results are probably not going to look appreciably better on the ice until we’re somewhere btw 3 & 4.

If they want to fast-track it, a vet 1C and 1D would work wonders.

31. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw, I’m in full agreement that the assistant coaching needs an upgrade with some more specialization on the staff.

In watching OilChange and 24CH, the contrast btw the coaching staffs is marked. If the goal is to be ‘relentless’ (I would think ‘consistent’ would be a better choice of words?), probably a good idea to spread that responsibility amongst a few capable and experienced coaches.

Pretty easy to envision a scenario where the young club sours on Eakins if he’s always the main mouthpiece.

32. nycoil says:

Penguins fire Shero, but keep Bylsma “for now?” Now that just seems wrong.

33. Bag of Pucks says:

nycoil:
    Penguins fire Shero, but keep Bylsma “for now?” Now that just seems wrong.

Why?

Apparently ownership has decided the roster composition was not good enough to get them over the hump. But they like the coach.

Ultimately, I would imagine the HC will be the next GM’s call. But why toast Bylsma if the incoming GM actually likes him?

Unlike the Oilers, some teams actually don’t blame the coach for everything!

34. Mr DeBakey says:

I don’t recognize those names, did they play with the Oilers in the 1970s?

Rick Morris, Norm Ullman & Frank Beaton?

You know which 80s Oiler has been coaching and fairly sucessful?
    Don Jackson – 6D & terrific fighter and
    - ECHL Coach of the Year
    - Three NHL asst coaching gigs
    - 5-Time German League champion coach

35. nycoil says:

Bag of Pucks,

For one, is Shero the problem?
    Whitney for Kunitz
    Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen
    Staal for Sutter, Pouliot and Dumoulin when it was known Staal only would go to Carolina, etc.
    These are good moves, no?

Second, the Oilers also don’t blame the (assistant) coaches for anything. They survive all the head coaching changes.

Third, telling the new GM to make a decision on the coach, but ownership likes the coach is a bit like MacT telling the press Eakins can choose his assistants but he likes the assistants and feels no need for them to go, isn’t it?

Mostly, I guess my objection comes down to leaving Bylsma in limbo a bit like the Oilers did with Renney, potentially. If the new GM gets hired in July and then axes Bylsma in August, it doesn’t leave him much time to land elsewhere. If they are going to keep him, fine. But it puts the GM and coach in a pickle, no?

By the way, Pens fans (and there are many here) are up in arms; they’ve wanted Bylsma fired for ages, but liked Shero. Worst case scenario for them today.

36. Racki says:

Personally, I think the Pens are crazy for firing either of those guys. I wish the Oilers had the “we didn’t win the cup this year, let’s blow it up!” problems the Pens do. Shero is a shrewd, solid GM, and I don’t think a high 600s win percent is grounds for firing a coach. But I’m just an outsider. Anyways, seems like it’s just a year where the breaks didn’t go your way. Wait it out.

37. Bag of Pucks says:

NYCOIL, I’m in agreement with pretty much everything you’ve said there.

38. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Caramel Obvious:

Usually what’s followed by a claim of “absolute fact” is a) irrefutable fact b) opinion based (loosely or otherwise) in fact c) absolute opinion. C seems appropriate here.

39. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Allman bros would be great.

If band suggestions are being taken, I’d toss The Band into the mix. It’s a fact, an absolute fact, that The Weight was written for Boyd Gordon.

40. jake70 says:

LT, listening to your live show here…day off today, beer in hand on this sunny 26 degree day in the east….just wanted to say….

jimmy crack corn and I don’t care
    jimmy crack corn and I don’t care
    jimmy crack corn and I don’t care

;-)

well said….agree totally….

41. rickithebear says:

Draft results: 10 years before katz took over!
    1998 Horcoff Mact trades for Larsen
    1999 Comrie
    2000 Winchester Nhl @ 28
    2001 Hemsky UFA 2012 Mact trades for 3rd and 5th
    2002 Stoll; Greene Tambo trades for vish 2008
    2003 Brodziak trades to MINN in 2009
    2004 Dubnyk Mact trades for hendricks
    2005 Cogliano Tambo trades for 2013 pick (MO Roy)
    2006 Petry
    2007 Gagner
    4 of the 10 1st rd picks were

Alot of young depth moved by tambo.

Questioning the drafting is BS.
    Michael schuker studdied the % value of a pick based on likey getting an nhl player.

2008- to 2013 we should get 4.31 players from our 1sts.
    we traded MP plus our 2nd (23.7% chance)

Eberle; Hall; RNH; Yakupov; Nurse; Perron
    4 players top 40 in Goals one of the last 2 seasons.

when we look at the players drafted and Col FA.
    age start of season next year.
    Hall (23) – RNH (21) – Eberle (24)
    Slepyshev (20) – Yakimov (19) – yakipov (20)
    Moroz (20) – Khaira (20) – McCarron (22)
    Chase (19) – Lander (23) – pitlick (22)
    Houck (19) -Arco (26)

Marincin(22 )- Schultz (24)
    Klefbom (21) – Nurse (19)
    Gernat (21) – Simpson (21)
    Musil (21) – Davidson (23)

Tuohimma (23)
    Bunz (22)

3 phases of Career
    ph 1 draft and development 18-23
    ph 2 post core development 24-30
    ph 3 30= speed and skill decline.

of the 24 listed only 3 will be in 2nd phase of carrer.
    All 3 short of age 27.

in our drafts 2008 to 2009 there was no clear philosophy beyond round 2.
    Org need was chased.

MacT identified that tambo established abetter Scouting system.

drafts 2010 and 2011 were about General coverage.

2012 and 2013 under Mact technical advisement. was Skill; Skill; Skill;
    Cause skill is tradeable.

For me the best thnhg for picks from 2010 on . there are alot of Strong EVg scorer depth in the system.

It allows for young cheaper EVg scoring to fill fwds 5-12 once you have your long term evg scoring first 4 fwds.

42. Caramel Obvious says:

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons:
    Allman bros would be great.

You are wrong.

43. Ducey says:

Bag of Pucks: NYCOIL, I’m in agreement with pretty much everything you’ve said there. But, check out the Pens contract situation on Capgeek. I’m not sure any GM should be leaving a team in the situation the Pens are in now? Literally half their roster could be turning over this offseason. It seems like Shero was thinking, hey let’s keep everyone in a contract renewal mindset. They’ll play like hell and we’ll win the Cup. Oops we lost, shite. Whoever coaches the team next year, they need to find a way to get more out of Malkin. He has to be great not good for that team to win anything.

I see the Pens with 14 guys signed for next year that will cost them $60 million (the Cap will be $71 M). 8 of those have some sort of NTC/ NMC. Their top 5 forwards make about $31 million

The are very top heavy and its going to be a challenge to improve without moving a big ticket. Right now they need about 10 players and only have $11 million to do it.

44. G Money says:

Racki,

The thing is, the Pens are starting with the two best in-their-prime C in the game in Crosby and Malkin. So expectations are always going to be high.

That also creates a challenge, because those same two guys soak up almost a 1/4 (or is it a 3rd?) of the cap. So you have to build a good rest-of-team under some pretty stringent financial conditions.

Maybe they concluded that Shero, as shrewd as he is, isn’t the right guy to do that.

45. regwald says:

This. All day long. Yes please.

46. hoser313 says:

When good teams lose, sometimes there’s an overreaction. Shero’s firing is probably that.

On the other hand, Shero probably could have upgraded on Fleury and absolutely could have found a better deadline rental than Lee Stempniak for the first line.

I also agree it’s not fair to keep Bylsma in limbo.

As for Batman, other than the assistant coaches I don’t have much to criticize him for. He will make a windfall on the new arena but that’s the City’s fault for not negotiating properly, not Batman’s. He said in his letter he would be patient to build the team properly and I think that’s the right idea. MacT is trying. It will take time.

hags9k:

What about Steve Downie?Could he be a legit 3rd line pick up in free agency?We could use a pest.

Jon Cooper and Patrick Roy got rid of Steve Downie as fast as humanly possible.

48. Clarkenstein says:

Katz owns an organization that is regarded by fans, players and ex-players around the league as nothing more than a joke. A bad one. When you’re the owner of a team that:
    If it were a dog you’d shoot it.
    If it were a house you’d demolish it.
    if it were a bridge you’d blow it up.

49. serum114 says:

Not sure if it was a past RE and I spaced on it, but I’d think Zeppelin would have a big enough catalogue to give you plenty of options…

Thanks again, as always. I love the optimism of the preseason REs and the brutal reality of these post mortem ones. One day they may both be happy.

One day…

nycoil:
    Penguins fire Shero, but keep Bylsma “for now?” Now that just seems wrong.

Mike Gillis kept Vigneault in Vancouver.
    Brian Burke kept Hartley in Calgary.
    Nonis and Shanahan kept Carlyle in Toronto.
    Davidson and Kekelainen kept Richards in Columbus.
    Hextall is keeping Berube in Philadelphia.
    Tim Murray is keeping Nolan in Buffalo.

What if the new GM thinks that Bylsma is a good coach? Shero made a lot of bad decisions in Pittsburgh with respect to the goaltending and defense. And even with a bargain contract from Crosby, has a bottom six not worthy of a contender.

51. nycoil says:

godot10,

All true. We’ll see how it plays out. I guess there is a major disparity in Bylsma’s perception on either side of the border. American hockey fans in general think he is below average. I guess they blame him for the Americans failing to medal in Sochi. And the Pens fans blame him for not line-matching and for always being “out-coached.” So there is quite a bit more surprise down here about Shero leaving but Bylsma staying than in Canada, where I’ve seen from this site that everyone seems to think Bylsma is good.

52. Bag of Pucks says:

serum114:

Hall – Your Time is Going Come
    Yakupov – Heartbreaker
    Gagner – What Is and What Should Never Be
    Schultz – Dazed and Confused
    Gazdic – No Quarter
    Lander – The Ocean (as in, couldn’t shoot the puck in…)

MacT – Hey Hey What Can I Do?
    Eakins – Communication Breakdown
    Lowe – Nobody’s Fault But Mine

53. Yeti says:

Perhaps it’s already happened, but I imagine that CCR would provide an interesting body of work to set a RE series to. I can already imagine Taylor Hall running through the jungle and not looking back to see…

serum114:

You mean, Zeppelin’s catalogue of uncredited knockoffs. Right?

55. mumbai max says:

Ducey: I see the Pens with 14 guys signed for next year that will cost them $60 million (the Cap will be $71 M).8 of those have some sort of NTC/ NMC.Their top 5 forwards make about $31 million

The are very top heavy and its going to be a challenge to improve without moving a big ticket.Right now they need about 10 players and only have $11 million to do it.

Bettman is talking about a 69 m cap.

56. Bag of Pucks says:

godot10: You mean, Zeppelin’s catalogue of uncredited knockoffs. Right?

The thing that’s ironic about this Zeppelin / plagiarism issue is the blues idiom is notorious for artists knicking from each other, with many famous blues performances amalgamating material from various songs and/or artists. It’s the very way that art form has evolved.

Why does SRV get no flack for ripping off a ton of Freddie King licks? Cos it’s the blues!

The only reason it’s even an issue with Zeppelin is because they got rich with it. For Wille Dixon, it was an actual win/win. In the short-term, he got more attention for his catalogue from a younger audience because of a vastly more successful artist knicking his material, and then he gets a massive and deserved pay day. Neither of which he would ever have achieved without Zeppelin knicking from him – much as he took from the blues artists that preceded him.

Wanting to castigate Zeppelin over this issue is just white man’s guilt imo.

57. bendelson says:

The Allman Brothers would be a great choice – they still remain the greatest live show I have ever had the pleasure of seeing…

The Jam? Sure LT. Add in Paul Weller’s solo work and you have a extremely large and impressive body of work.

It still strongly support Lou Reed and the VU, but the lyrics may confuse/upset… who gets ‘Lady Godiva’s Operation’?

Let me add to the many voices thanking you for another great RE series.

Back to the VU for a moment – I love the conversation between Lou and himself in ‘Temptation inside of your Heart’ – it reminds me of the fantastic ‘dialogue with yourself’ on the RE series.

As for my confidence in management fixing this mess…

‘If you’re going to try to make it right, your surely going to end up wrong (wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong….)’

58. cahill says:

Tapdog: Would Adam Oates be one to consider?

I think I would consider Oates, for PP & FO, I’m not sure if I would target him ahead of the other guys mentioned. I think that Eakins needs some mentoring without being completely threatened. Like the situation with Hall and the water bottle. It has to be frustrating to completly suck, to have water all over you. But you have to be the captain of the ship. Like a captain you need to wear your red shirt if things get bad or brown paints if it looks really bad. Ref – http://english-zone.com/esl-jokes/brown.html

I know the even strength issues. But I truly believe this team could use two coaches. Ultimately you brought in Eakins & Acton to deal with 5×5 & 4×5. NHL teams should start looking at coaches in specific areas.

I would strongly consider Laxdal & Ramsey or one of the coaches LT mentioned. Then see if you can pry kim Dillabaugh outta LA.

59. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw Godot, I challenge you to actually listen to both songs side by side and tell me the Zeppelin version isn’t SUBSTANTIALLY different?

To my ears, everything is substantially altered and updated. The primary riff, melody and rhythm. The production, performance and arrangement, etc.

The only direct lift and Plant / Zeppelin admitted as much is some lyric phrases “women, you need love” “you need coolin’, I’m not foolin’ etc.

Page/Plant took Model T material and transformed it into a Ferrari for an audience that to be fair, was never going to buy the traditional material. I’m not sure that the fact they used the words “I need love’ should be enough to merit them not getting the bulk of the rewards.

Honestly, I suspect Dixon felt the same way which is way the money from his settlement went to fund a charity rather than into his own pocket. Musicians understand the idea of ‘knicking riffs’

60. G Money says:

nycoil,

I think the impression of Bylsma is strongly driven by possession, and the Penguins were actually the best possession team in the playoffs at 55% 5×5. So Bylsma was doing his job.

As Jon Willis at CoH noted, two numbers drive the Penguins playoffs this year:

Crosby 2.6% Sh% (dead last among all F in these playoffs! I mean, WTF)

Fleury 0.915 Sv% (not bad for him, but pales in comparison to e.g. Rask, Price, Crawford…)

Blaming Bylsma for either of those is a bit of a stretch …

61. DeadmanWaking says:

G Money:

No question, this Spock wears the beard.

May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous — in every way, splendid examples of homo sapiens. The very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing.

[[ Hell's bells! The Google street view car just rolled up my cul-de-sac. Small white car, brightly painted, small pod on top–appeared to be mounted on stout aluminum tubes painted dun grey–emitting slowly strobing flashes of dark blue light. As it happens, I also spotted the Google car up the peninsula a couple of years back. Made it to my front door just in time for the return transit. I have a line of sight on the cul-de-sac bulboe through a slit in the mid-day shade covering the south-facing window beside my desk. Spotted the car through the corner of one eye as it passed between a hedge and a gravel truck–it's street repair day. Yesterday I saw that they had dug up and formed-in an entire segment of the sidewalk on the other side. No point letting that first tender shoot of moss gain a foothold. Eventually a crack might form. Water could get in there. It could, conceivably, even freeze one dark winter night. The crack could expand. Some poor soul might someday walk by with a loose nail in the bottom of their shoe and snag the nail head in the giant fissure, leading to an unexpected stutter step of the kind that jars the neck with surprising force, resulting to a visit to a chiropractor, who perhaps suggests a follow-up visit. And then what? ]]

Good thing the Google car doesn’t have a real-time feed. Lowetide would be outside my front door by now clacking the Coors castanets–in a car much less attractive. I wasn’t nearly so discouraged by MacT’s end of season presser. We’d be heading out to the sand at the bottom of the stairs behind the bulboe railing (there’s barely enough beach down there between the moss-covered knobs for a dead sea lion to wash up between a couple of dead tree trunks). Lowetide would have the carbon-fiber stick. The closest I have to a switchblade is a pair of Fiskars scissors who two halves pop off the captive knuckle just as soon as I open my hand to its natural size. Of the two pieces, the black anodized piece has the large, comfortable grip, so I’d be tucking that into the back of my belt. This downward cutting piece has a 1″ rasp knurled onto the back edge (but lacks the bottle opener). What would Inigo do with the rasp when confronted with an irate hockey stick? After seven years? Think, Inigo, think!

Anyway, I don’t stand a chance. Lowetide already blinded me by getting me to look up Menudo right after I viewed numerous clips on YouTube of Eyes Wide Shut. Tom had many opportunities in that movie, some of them mighty fine, but he didn’t have Menudo. No chance getting that scene past NC-17 so he just had to go without.

Golden-edged victory-hat brow ridge with no mouth.

Cruise flashes back Menudo.

Man with no mouth gags, attempts to violently spew from his stomachless body into his mouthless face, racked with dry convulsions he careens over the balcony–plunging with a silent scream–and ruptures his neck on impact.

Some people have strong opinions about what that movie really means. I observe this to be true even after skipping several extremely long pieces of critical insight lacking paragraph breaks.

This all lead me to formulate a devil’s def:

Conspiracy: Insatiable eking of the least likely observation into congruence with its least plausible explanation.

All I want is a little congruence, man.

Poor, deluded souls.

[ Hey, what happened to the auto ndash and mdash substitutions? Not that I haven't programmed my keyboard to insert those directly, but it was nice to have it automated while it lasted. ]

62. nycoil says:

Ducey,

Yup. Niskanen will command too much so he will shake loose. They’re going to try to get out from Letang’s contract, I think. They are going to take something like 50 cents on the dollar in current players, plus some futures on that one given his injury history. MAF may move. I sincerely doubt they actually move Malkin, but if they do, it would be tough to top what St. Louis might offer them.

Sutter is an RFA. Doubt anyone tries an offer sheet, but they could be vulnerable.

63. Racki says:

Shero getting canned might be the best thing to happen to the 29 other teams. The new guy can’t possibly be as tough to trade with.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki:

2 2nds for a few weeks of Douglas Murray!

GM of the Year.

65. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 2 2nds for a few weeks of Douglas Murray!

GM of the Year.

Every GM has warts ;)

66. Caramel Obvious says:

godot10: You mean, Zeppelin’s catalogue of uncredited knockoffs. Right?

Why am I not surprised that Godot is propagating this idiocy?

This is the nature of folk music. It is the nature of art. Indeed, it is the nature of human activity. You can’t own thoughts. There is no such thing as a thought that comes from nowhere which you created, and therefore, have some title to. They come out of a culture that produces them, and the idea that an individual can lay claim, not simply to a particular representation of an idea, but to the Idea itself is anathema.

Zeppelin stole nothing. To say otherwise is to advance a misbegotten cosmos that exists only in your imagination (and perhaps courts of law). But since moral fictions are the currency of courts of law that isn’t a point in your favour.

67. LMHF#1 says:

Caramel Obvious:
    This is the nature of folk music.It is the nature of art.Indeed, it is the nature of human activity.You can’t own thoughts.There is no such thing as a thought that comes from nowhere which you created, and therefore, have some title to.They come out of a culture that produces them, and the idea that an individual can lay claim, not simply to a particular representation of an idea, but to the Idea itself is anathema.

This is tripe and you know it.

A “culture” cannot produce. Only individuals, the sum of which make up said “culture”.

A thought does not need to “come from nowhere” for this to be true.

(FTR – not agreeing with Godot)

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What was that trick for establishing “reach” picks again…

Staples is saying his version of a reach is anything out of “consensus” order (I assume he means BM = consensus)…

that’s going to make a lot of picks “reach”… too many to be informative of anything IMO.

at any rate, was it ranking x .5 or something?

69. Bag of Pucks says:

Caramel Obvious: Why am I not surprised that Godot is propagating this idiocy?

Zeppelin stole nothing.To say otherwise is to advance a misbegotten cosmos that exists only in your imagination (and perhaps courts of law).But since moral fictions are the currency of courts of law that isn’t a point in your favour.

Oddly enough, if Zeppelin had directly ripped off the music itself, and not the lyrics. It likely goes unnoticed. 12 bar blues in E? Variations on that theme have been recorded a million times.

Regardless of the source, the version on II still rocks and lays waste to the Dixon version imo. Kudos to the source of inspiration but Willie couldn’t match Pagey’s performance in a million years.

Plant could’ve use any multitude of phrases instead of Dixon’s “I Need Love” and I’m sure it wouldn’t have lessened my enjoyment of the track.

70. Yeti says:

“Zeppelin stole nothing.”
    Caramel Obvious,

But that’s not really true. They did grab lyrics pretty directly from other songs while reinterpreting them. Both Plant and Page have admitted this, and Page was apparently meant to do a better job of changing the lyrics. Despite this, they refused to give writing credits to Willie Dixon and others for the material until the legal challenge. Don’t get me wrong. They’re a great band, and I love what they did with the material, but they might have been slightly more honest in ascribing writing credits. At least they finally admitted this and now Dixon is put as a co-writer of the song. As Page himself put it: “you only get caught when you’re successful”.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

man… Zep talk!

for me… a lot of bands ripped off blues bands and were terrible. hell the Stone first couple of albums suck compared to when they branched out.

I have no problem with the academic chatter over heritage etc… but the moralizing is so wrongheaded IMO.

72. Bag of Pucks says:

Tom Petty on allegations that the Chili Peppers ripped off Mary Jane’s Last Dance with their track Dani California.

“I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock & roll songs sound alike.”

Petty went on to say that he was amused when The Strokes openly admitted that they took the riff for “American Girl” and used it in their song “Last Nite”.

73. justDOit says:

Although LZ appear most often in this link, they are accompanied by many other very big artists.

And here is Page throwing Plant under the bus:

As far as my end of it goes, I always tried to bring something fresh to anything that I used. I always made sure to come up with some variation. In fact, I think in most cases, you would never know what the original source could be. Maybe not in every case — but in most cases. So most of the comparisons rest on the lyrics. And Robert was supposed to change the lyrics, and he didn’t always do that — which is what brought on most of the grief. They couldn’t get us on the guitar parts of the music, but they nailed us on the lyrics. We did, however, take some liberties, I must say [laughs]. But never mind; we did try to do the right thing.”

74. justDOit says:

And for the record, I can’t imagine going to a party in high school, and hearing Willie Dixon on the record player!

75. Bag of Pucks says:

Caramel Obvious: Why am I not surprised that Godot is propagating this idiocy?

Patents or copyrights on intellectual property to the contrary? Or are those moral fiction?

76. justDOit says:

Ha! A shirt inspired by the Lurchic quote: http://i.imgur.com/b0vnYvj.png

77. Bag of Pucks says:

JustDoIt, that quote is definitely a case of Page throwing Plant under the bus.

Plant was a young, still impressionable teenager from the backwoods black country of England when Zep recorded their first two albums.

Page was already a seasoned session player, producer and presided over the dissolution of the Yardbirds. He knew what he was doing when that album went out the door with the song-writing credits as they were.

Though to be fair, that first Zeppelin was recorded in only two weeks! Incredible.

78. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

********************************************************************************
    I looked it up at Webster’s online Dictionary – Reach:

With the FIRST selection in the 2nd round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select David Musil of the Vancouver Giants”

******************************************************************

Brandon Saad was ranked 22nd overall….Boone Jenner 26.

79. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks,

And I believe that all or most of the successful lawsuits against LZ were for the ripped lyrics.

You’re right – Page, and the even more seasoned JPJ (not to mention the record company…) should have known that they were over the line on some songs. But a few decades before the internet, it might have seemed like those old, obscure blues songs would never come to the public’s attention.

80. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    What was that trick for establishing “reach” picks again…

at any rate, was it ranking x .5 or something?

I recall LT doing a post on just this subject a couple of years ago?

81. Bag of Pucks says:

justDOit:
    Bag of Pucks,

Maybe I’m just rationalizing cos I’m a fan but I honestly don’t believe there was any intent.

They were fans of the blues, they saw this type of thing happening in the idiom all the time, and felt they could get away with just like everyone else.

If they hadn’t got rich with it, unlikely anyone would’ve cared. That’s what put the target on their back.

Btw, Page had a history doing this long before he met Plant. Check out web for “Train Kept a Rollin’ and ‘Beck’s Bolero’ Bolero is a particularly interesting glimpse into the rows that happen when musicians are creating on the fly and then trying to assign credits after the fact.

82. OilFire says:

DeadmanWaking: No question, this Spock wears the beard.

Funny how true it rings that the evil version has a goatee. Bizarre choice when worn by the non-evil.

DeadmanWaking:
    …after I viewed numerous clips on YouTube of Eyes Wide Shut

…Some people have strong opinions about what that movie really means.I observe this to be true even after skipping several extremely long pieces of critical insight lacking paragraph breaks.

Love that movie. I think people get too caught up in the included details of occult rituals. Gangs of New York spent a lot of time getting the period dress correct, but that doesn’t mean the thesis of the movie is the hidden secrets of petticoats. Eyes Wide Shut similarly develops mood through the weird music, lighting, masks, etc., but I don’t think this is the really interesting part of the film. Kidman’s character pining for the bizarre cultural dance of dating (as lampooned in the orgy ritual), and the thrill of flirting and fucking is the tasty bit. Fascinating how the flirty types among us pretend we are no longer interested in such things the nanosecond the marriage band comes to rest. It’s a nice setting for Kubrick to fool around with ideas about why we want to play the parts anyway: is it our naughty appetites? is it that oh-so-addicting drug of feeling valued when someone agrees to play our counterpart in the mini drama?

83. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks,

I’m also a big fan, but the lifted lyrics were pretty much word-for-word, in some instances. It’s difficult to imagine that was done innocently, but it’s also important to remember the other hundreds of songs that they weren’t sued for.

Anyone care to work out their lawsuit percentage?

84. Bag of Pucks says:

But that’s just it, I’m not sure that words like ‘innocent’ or ‘guilty’ even apply.

Guys like Buddy Guy, Clapton, Muddy Waters, do this constantly.

They’ll be in the middle of playing “Born Under a Bad Sign” and they’ll throw in a verse from “Smokestack Lightning” or a couple lines from “Dust My Broom”

They’re not making a conscious decision to rip from another artist. They’re just ‘playing the blues’ and a big part of that is the constant recycling of and homage to past & current influences.

85. FastOil says:

godot10: god

Most art is derivative. Not many Gretzky’s out their.

86. Bling says:

Wouldn’t mind seeing the Oilers bringing on Shero as GM or President of Hockey Operations.

Won’t happen, but whatever.

87. Bling says:

Bag of Pucks:

Yeah this absolutely needs to be addressed.

One of the downsides, though, with a non-established guy like Eakins is that he may feel threatened by the hiring of a Muller or Pearn.

The other issue is that elite coaches like that may have no interest in working under him.

Muller probably figured he could learn a lot from Hitch. Maybe not so much from Eakins.

88. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks,

Apparently, copyright enforcement was pretty lax in the 60′s, but here’s Memphis Minnie’s lyrics to “When the Levee Breaks” (1929):

If it keeps on rainin’, levee’s goin’ to break

I had a woman, she wouldn’t do for me
    I’m goin’ back to my used to be

I’s a mean old levee, cause me to weep and moan
    I’s a mean old levee, cause me to weep and moan
    Gonna leave my baby, and my happy home

89. Bling says:

The saddest thing about MacT not allowing Eakins to hire new assistant coaches is that the former was helped along quite a bit by Charles Huddy. He knows the value of good assistants! Argh.

90. jimmers2 says:

From DMW’s message: Cruise flashes back Menudo.

Hey -isn’t that Gagner, Gags and Rowbert there, off to the right?

Youthful optimism, so naive…

91. Bag of Pucks says:

I had a woman, she wouldn’t do for me
    I had a woman, she wouldn’t do for me
    I’m goin’ back to my used to be

I’s a mean old levee, cause me to weep and moan
    I’s a mean old levee, cause me to weep and moan
    Gonna leave my baby, and my happy home

Crosby and Malkin make more than their cap hit now and Letang might as well for the next few years.

It’s tough, but a smart manager can spend that wisely.

I think the cap will 70. USD is C$ 1.085 or so recently, it all depends on where the Canadian teams buy their US$, but I think it won”t go as low as 69MM

Shero got fired because he’s had 2 of the best C’s in the NHL for years and years and only has one Cup and only really threatened to win another.

The main reason for their failures has been Fleury. 1st overall in the deepest draft since 1979 for a mediocre bites you in the ass often.

Shero didn’t draft him, but he gave him the contract and stuck with after the results over a number of years told him it was the wrong thing to do.

Maybe he tried to rid himself of Fleury and couldn’t? Still a failing.

He wasn’t the main reason this year, but he was the last few years and Shero has to wear it.

The other reason I hear he was let go is because the drafting hasn’t kept the pipeline full other than Pouliot and Maata.

Trade 2 2nds for a concrete pylon and that bites you in the ass too.

93. justDOit says:

Bag of Pucks: Lyrics were credited to Memphis Minnie on the original LZ recording. Not sure what the issue is what that one?

On the original pressings of vinyl? I thought that was one of the songs that were later credited to the original artists some time in the 90s (such as, “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You”). Sadly, I don’t have many records any more, so I can’t check.

If originally credited, that would make me feel a lot better. I remember reading a quote from Plant regarding Whitesnake, where he called the lead singer, ‘David Coverversion’.

94. Zangetsu says:

I love when you look at the oilers and see the shit show I do. Usually you are too hesitant (optimistic?) to call them out.
    oliveoilers,

This is why if we have a bad start again I’m checking out. I’m not going to let the oiler organization see that I’m willing to put up with it. Maybe sports net will take note too, and we can have TSN back. Something has to change, and it’s not going to come from the organization on it’s own.

I’m just so mad recently. I’m watching some great playoff hockey, and I feel apathetic, because I can’t pick a dummy team again this year. It’s been eight years (8FY-New acronym, it will catch on, trust). I should at least be able to watch the oil be in the playoff race in november.

#8FY

95. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy: 60MM is their actual salary, the cap salary is 55MM, so they have 15MM or so to spend.

It’s tough, but a smart manager can spend that wisely.

Maybe he tried to rid himself of Fleury and couldn’t? Still a failing.

Trade 2 2nds for a concrete pylon and that bites you in the ass too.

So Doug Wilson is next to be fired?

96. Gerta Rauss says:

Late to the party but I’ll add another vote for the Allman brothers. I’m familiar with their well known songs, but not their whole catalog. I like to use these RE series to get to know the artists a little better and make a point to listen to the whole series.

I’ll throw Bruce Cockburn into the ring again, Gordon Lightfoot would be cool as well. And of course,Johnny Cash

oliveoilers: So Doug Wilson is next to be fired?

Might be.

Wilson doesn’t have Crosby and Malkin and let Fleury fuck them for 4+ year though.

Might save him.

98. edoil1 says:

When mentioning the Allman bros. we should be also spend some time on Duane’s great guitar on the Derek and the Domino’s song’s that just seem to be unequaled as time goes by,On the hockey front,needed a break,we could not give away the last few sets of oiler tickets and that should not be overlooked .Big time revamp,2 new assistant coachs(they can’t possibly be worse)Trade Gagner /Petry for # 1/2 D,draft a center and wait ,what the hell else can you do,In a chess game we are cornered.