RE 13-14 MARTIN MARINCIN: REAL REAL GONE

Among the very best things to happen this season: Martin freaking Marincin. A player Edmonton contemplated taking 31st overall at the 2010 entry draft, they eventually dealt Riley Nash for the pick that turned into the tall tree from Kosice, Slovakia. It turned out to be a very wise move.

Martin Marincin 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.35 (5th among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.66 (3rd among regular D)
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among regular D
  • Qual Team: best available among regular D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 47.5
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +7.0
  • Zone Start: 45.5% (3rd toughest among regular D)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (worst among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 28 shots
  • Boxcars: 44, 0-6-6
  • Plus Minus: -2 on a team that was -51

RE 13-14: 3, 0-1-1 .333

Actual: 44, 0-6-6 .136

1. What do these numbers tell us? He played second pairing opposition, tougher ZS’s, played with Petry, and his Corsi for 5×5% looks like a lush meadow on the first day of summer.
  2. Real Real Gone? OH yeah.
  3. Not much offense. Marincin’s resume suggests he’ll be a 20+ point defenseman, so we should expect a spike as he gets comfortable.
  4. Can we count on him next season? Ah, dangerous question. Prospects don’t develop in a straight line, and the Oilers could do something stupid like trade Jeff Petry this summer. Having said that, I don’t recall a 21-year old Oiler draft pick showing such range in his debut.
  5. Did you always hold him in high regard? Rated him high all down the line. He started 9th, then 4th, 7, 5, 4, 4, 3 and then 4.
  6. Is that good? Well, remember that Hall, then Nuge, then Yakupov would always have been ahead of him, and that, at least in 2010, Eberle too.
  7. Who argued hardest for him? Frank Musil. Stu MacGregor, draft day: “We got the pick in a trade for Riley Nash and with that pick we were really hoping to get a defenceman. Our European scout Frank Musil was pushing for him. We’d seen him as a 17-year-old at the World Junior in Saskatoon. He was tall and slender and could skate well and had real good sense with the puck. A lot of the decision involved the knowledge he planned to come to North America to play junior as an 18-year-old.”
  8. Did he perform so well in OKC they had to call him up? He did reach a point of consistency, but there were warts. From the same article linked to above, here’s young Willis earlier in the year. Jonathan Willis: Marincin’s year-to-date has been a little on the disappointing side. He’s big and he moves the puck well and the talent is obvious, but there’s a little too much chaos to his game and he doesn’t generate enough offence to justify it. At this point he’s probably pretty comparable to Anton Belov except at the AHL level.
  9. Which leads me to my next question: Are the Oilers convinced of him? Great question, don’t know the answer.
  10. This is such a glorious series. Answers ALL the questions! Well, they had him out the door to Vancouver in the Schneider deal (would have been Marincin, Nurse and Roy from what we know) and MacT ALWAYS mentions Klefbom first, then Marincin kind of as an afterthought.
  11. What does that mean? It’s reasonable to suggest they like Klefbom more.
  12. Is he a better player? Marincin has shown more in the NHL, but Klefbom is the higher pick and we saw him good on many shifts after callup.
  13. So Klefbom will be better? Klefbom has a rather length injury history. Marincin is a tall tree in need of hamburgers. One issue could end a career, the other costs $8 bucks and you get fries and a Coke with it.
  14. Where do you see Marincin next season? Second pairing, with Petry. The Oilers had one good pairing last season, keeping it together is a n0-brainer.
  15. How many AHL games did he play? Exactly 100 regular season games in the minors.
  16. Among Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Simpson, Gernat, Musil and Oesterle, how many do you think will have NHL careers? What do you mean by NHL careers?
  17. More than 200 NHL games. Hmm. I’ll say Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Simpson.
  18. Four guys, huh? Yes. I like Gernat plenty, but he and Musil still have some ways to go. I don’t really know much about Oesterle.
  19. How many will play the heart of their career here? Nurse and Klefbom.
  20. Why do you say that? I believe they value those two more, and MacT has made it a point to rave over them.
  21. That may not mean a thing. Sure. However, having paid attention to the Oilers, and MacT, all these years, I’d bet that Marincin is more available than Nurse or Klefbom.
  22. Or Petry. No, I think Petry could go too. Oilers often trade their rfa’s before or after they file for arbitration.
  23. Real Real Gone? It could happen. If the Oilers are going to land a stud, they’re going to pay and pay and pay.
  24. Marincin sure saved MacGregor’s bacon. How so?
  25. Until Marincin, no player outside the first round taken during the MBS watch had played in the NHL. That’s not true. Anton Lander from 2009 has played in almost 100 NHL games, and this season Marincin and Tyler Pitlick also played in the NHL.
  26. Sure, but they arrived late. No, that’s not true either. Five years after a draft is a good line in the sand, if a player hasn’t played in the NHL and clearly established himself as a true NHL prospect it probably isn’t going to happen.
  27. How many MBS picks after the first round are either on track as prospects or have played in the NHL? Anton Lander, Tyler Pitlick, Martin Marincin, Dillon Simpson, Tobias Rieder, Martin Gernat, Mitchell Moroz, Jujhar Khaira, John McCarron. Too soon on the 2013 draft but there are good things there, too.
  28. Wait five years? I think that’s a very good line in the sand, yes.

49 Responses to "RE 13-14 MARTIN MARINCIN: REAL REAL GONE"

1. LMHF#1 says:

Pay with Klefbom if you’re going to pay that way (I still don’t think you need to). Marty’s the keeper. When his strength catches up to the rest of his game – look out. Should also find his gear on the PP some time next season.

2. slopitch says:

theScore ‏@theScore 1h
    Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon says he “definitely will” shop the 1st overall pick in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft: http://thesco.re/1kr3eU8

Im almost in the pro Bennett (vs Eckblad) camp so Im not overly keen to pay a ton to move to #1. Still interesting…

3. Zangetsu says:

I can’t wait to see gernat as well. The two slovakians seem to be oddly connected.

4. Halfwise says:

It’s so tempting to assume this tall tree will just grow straight up into the sky, like shares in a company that everyone falls in love with for a few months until they get too far ahead of themselves.

I wonder if part of the sophomore slump phenomenon is that guys start to over-think their game, because they find that the game has slowed down just enough to allow them to think but they don’t have a big enough repertoire of things to do by instinct. That is where the trouble starts.

There is also the possibility that offseason training for slimmer young players builds strength and bulk at the expense of motor skills.

Also LT I like how you wrote “n0-brainer”in #14, using a zero. This should become standard usage imo.

5. Hammers says:

I love Marincin and that’s why I’m afraid he will be traded . Agree with you on McT’s comments on Nurse & Klefbom but as I said a year ago I’m not 100% sure Nurse will make it (didn’t prove to much in OKL ) and Klefbom seems to log his injuries . Sometimes luck & being in the right place at the right time has so much to do with a players career .Lets hope Marincin is here in Oct and can prove he may be the best of those 3 .I already think so .

6. icecastles says:

With that article title, I thought Marincin had been traded. I hate you, LT.

7. sliderule says:

If you want to look at real later round drafting look at Ducks

They have five players playing more than twenty games in nhl from the Mbs era.In addition they have Anderson playing regularly and Gibson in waiting in AHL..

The oilers during this period have had one of worst or the worst teams in Nhl.This allowed almost all their picks to be at top of round which should give more success.

Their amateur drafting record is mediocre when you compare it the top drafting teams.

8. icecastles says:

I like Lander and hope he finds his way in the NHL, but he’s not just taking a slow route… he’s treading water in his development.

Pitlick was drafter four years ago, is another centre and has played all of ten NHL games, in which he managed a single point.

I don’t think injuries can be laid at the feet of the scouts: sometimes unforeseen crap just happens and I know Pitlick’s (as with Klefbom’s) development have been hampered by injury. But if the only defense of MBS’s later round drafting beyond Marincin is Lander and Pitlick, I’d say that’s damning with faint praise. And as Sliderule points out, most of these picks have come at or near the top of their rounds.

icecastles: A cynical way to look at this: MBS’s best late round success is a guy who, after five years and nearly 100 NHL games, is still playing only as a call-up and has not managed to stick yet, despite the Oilers having had horrible depth at his position. Arcobello outplayed him this year and was the first one called up, and for a time, they even seemed willing to put Ryan Smyth, an aging winger, at centre rather than use Lander.

10. leadfarmer says:

I dont think you can count games played by Lander and Pitlick in the evaluation of those draft picks, because on any other team their would have played a total of 0 games. He is Stu the Mediocre bastard’s only good pick outside of the first round so far. Yes I know there is a few good guys in the minors but so does every other team so until they start playing the pro games its hard to have a solid evaluation.

Marinicin is the reason I am always suprised that teams keep picking big Western Canadian kids with no offense and poor skating in the first round when there are smooth skating defenseman available in the later rounds.

11. czar says:

No show today LT?

12. cahill says:

Since 2003-04 there have been eleven 21 Year-Old Defenseman that have played 800+ Minutes in their 1st season per hockey-reference.com. This past season included Merrill & Marincin.

Prior to this season the list included; Jared Cowen, Marc Staal, Paul Ranger, Jack Johnson, Ryan Suter, John Moore, T.J. Brodie, Brian Lee & Josh Gorges. Some pretty good defenseman.

I have been working on additional comparable’s for Marincin. Here are the ones that I thought were most accurate.

Player Season Age ATOI PTS/G
    Martin Marincin 2013-14 21 19:10 0.13
    Marc Staal 2007-08 21 19:48 0.12
    Trevor Daley 2003-04 20 16:02 0.22
    Zbynek Michalek 2003-04 21 14:13 0.09
    Karl Alzner 2009-10 21 16:24 0.23
    Niklas Hjalmarsson2008-09 21 15:59 0.14
    Fedor Tyutin 2003-04 20 20:08 0.28
    Average (Pts/G) 0.16

Here was their following season.

Player Season Age ATOI PTS/G
    Marc Staal 2008-09 22 21:08 0.18
    Trevor Daley 2005-06 22 19:40 0.17 – Didn’t play in NHL in his 21 season.
    Zbynek Michalek 2005-06 23 23:50 0.29 – Didn’t play in the NHL in his 22 season.
    Karl Alzner 2010-11 22 20:01 0.15
    Niklas Hjalmarsson2009-10 22 20:40 0.22
    Fedor Tyutin 2005-06 22 21:33 0.32
    Average (Pts/G) 0.22

I think the odds are we have found a really good defenseman here. I think there is a good chance Marincin can play effectively as a 2 or 3 defenseman next season 20 – 22 minutes. I think it’s doubtful he will ever be a true #1, he doesn’t bring the offense. But he could be a guy that tops out at 23 – 24 minutes a night and a true #2 defenseman. I haven’t looked at these players advanced stats to see how they related to MM. That’s part of the next phase.

Czar: Yes, damn I keep forgetting to post

!0:05, Steve Lansky
    10:45 Corey Graham
    11:00 Ryan Batty
    11:25 Paul Almeida

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter

14. czar says:

Thank you and look forward to it!

15. icecastles says:

Lowetide: The blame for Lander lies at the feet of Renney and Tambellini. Accept no substitutes, that was a world class act of stupidity.

Seems like every coach, no matter how good, has some player somewhere that they just fail to ‘get’ or utterly misuse. We don’t hear about it as much on other teams because they are often (but not always) non-marquee players, but I get the sense that it happens everywhere. Even coaches like Ruff and Hitchcock don’t seem immune. Babcock maybe?

icecastles: I have a vague recollection of this and being pissed off about his usage, but it really is vague. Can you refresh me?

17. icecastles says:

leadfarmer: I dont think you can count games played by Lander and Pitlick in the evaluation of those draft picks, because on any other team their would have played a total of 0 games.

This seems highly speculative. You just just as easily (and probably more convincingly) argue that on another team, Lander would have been a regular 3rd or 4th line centre for over a year already.

What’s your reason for believing they’d never have once been called up?

18. russ99 says:

Klefbom needs the same patience. And IMO he has more trade value than Marincin due to his draft number.

I think Martin is a keeper, and he has room for further improvement as he gets older and hopefully bigger and stronger.

It would be a bad move to deal him given what we’ve seen, unless we’re getting a top first pairing D in return.

Something like Subban would be OK, Byfuglien would not. By the time he’s 29, Marincin could be better than Byfuglien.

The other issue with Marincin is why aren’t the defensemen on the NHL club getting the same guidance as the ones in the AHL?

I’d be happy with Nelson replacing Smith as assistant coach (and not only for defensemen) at this point, but it seems that playing with Gretz is a job requirement with us.

19. vinotintazo says:

Hi LT.

new here, how do i listen to you show?

thx.

vinotintazo:
    Hi LT.

new here,how do i listen to you show?

thx.

listen live

archived shows here

21. frjohnk says:

vinotintazo,

Listening to a radio show is enjoyable when the host is very knowledgeable but willing to learn and hear other points of view, admits to mistakes, will make fun of themselves, and loves his/her job which is amplified through the broadcast. LT does this and more to a T. I’m a huge fan and I’m not trying to suck up.

While I listen to tsn1260 during the day most days, LT’s show is the only one where I will try to catch up on the podcasts if I miss a day. My favorite: I love how LT is usually on the verge of a huge belly laugh when he has Dennis King on.

22. Zangetsu says:

23. speeds says:

Halfwise:

It’s unlikely there’s any one cause. I don’t have any numbers to back up the following, but I do wonder if sometimes the “sophomore slump” really relates to an increase in the quality of competition. For example, a D plays his rookie year with 3rd pairing minutes, and against somewhat sheltered competition, followed by a step up in responsibility the next season that makes it look like the player is slumping.

24. sumaclab says:

Talk a bout a rock and a hard place. Eckblad awaits possibly.Then you have Nurse Klefbom,MM and DS awaiting. How screwed are we? Totally. Our defense will certainly be the youngest in the NHL. MacT alluded to not overpaying for a guy like Markov or other FA dman. Training camp is going to be a humdinger if Eckblad is there. If there was ever a time in Oilers history more crucial to this franchises future it is in the decisions that await MacT in the next 4 months. I am so excited forthis teams future.

BTW. There has been some comments in the media by certain wags regarding Oiler fans trading places with SJ Sharks fans because wouldn’t we want the certainty of a 100point playoff team every year. That is such bs. I would not trade a single season for any of theirs. I would not trade our 2006 SC run for 7 of their first round exits. I look at the direction of our franchise and see the possibilities ofglory given patience and the right coaching. Comparing ourselves to others belittles the struggles and effortsof Hall and RNH and EBS. Let the SJ of the league wallow in their perceived success. I’ll take what we have earned everyday of the week.

25. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99:

I’d be happy with Nelson replacing Smith as assistant coach (and not only for defensemen)at this point, but it seems that playing with Gretz is a job requirement with us.

To be fair, it IS a pretty cool thing to have on a resume. Hell, I’d settle for ‘played beer pong with the Great One.”

26. Bag of Pucks says:

Sumaclab, the thing about the SJ Sharks consistent success (albeit mixed results in the playoffs), is they’re maximizing their odds at winning Stanley. I’d much rather the org is a well run & consistent organization as opposed to a cinderella longshot every couple decades.

The Sharks have the second longest consecutive post-season appearance streak after Detroit.

By contrast, the Oilers have the longest playoff drought in the league.

The Oilers draft Sam Gagner. The Sharks draft Logan Couture. Preferring the former is being a glutton for punishment.

27. Ducey says:

Zangetsu: Man do I ever want that florida pick. If we could get it without giving up our own, we could get a 1D and 1AC in one draft. Doubt we have the assets for that though. Well we do, but MacT isn’t moving Hall eberle or Nuge.

If BUF goes for Reinhart I’d be offering Gagner and a D prospect of their choice. That might get it done.

28. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

One potential benefit of Florida being active in shopping their pick is that they can create a ‘frothy’ market for trading a high pick. If you are one of the teams pursuing the first overall pick with FLA and you miss getting it, you may have that unstoppable inertia to get one of those coveted top three picks and suffer brain damage in acting irrationally – especially on a compressed and hectic day like draft day. Creating hyped up market demand is not such a bad thing and if you really wanted that one widget and you JUST missed, how much do you covet the #3 widget as a consolation? Good to be holding some of these cards at the table for MacT (I think he wants to deal it but the returns have to be LARGE)..

29. thejonrmcleod says:

Ducey: If BUF goes for Reinhart I’d be offering Gagner and a D prospect of their choice.That might get it done.

You realize Buffalo picks second?

30. Bag of Pucks says:

Isn’t is SOP for the GM picking 1st to say the pick could be in play for the right price?

I don’t think Tallon’s doing his job if he doesn’t put that out there. That said, I’ll be very surprised if FLA actually trades the pick.

31. Melman says:

Lowetide: They brought him over for the rookie camp, and he was faster than they remembered. It became the RAGE to talk about his footspeed, and they kept him for no real reason except he could PK. The right call there is a season in the AHL.

Fair enough – Lander’s improper development has zero to do with MBS. Having said that there haven’t been any nice surprises yet apart from Marincin being ready earlier than expected, although it still may be too soon to tell. The other factor is the GM telling the scouts what to draft when – see Abney. Met a guy in Van. recently who works with the ‘Nucks and when the topic of their poor drafting came up he said that Gillis was regularly overriding the scouts (which fits with his ‘I know better than everyone’ personality)

32. PaperKurtRussell says:

I’m not one to spread rumours, but I just heard from a “reliable source” that Ben Eager is expected to sign in Russia. He’ still got good wheels for a big man, so hopefully he does well over there. This is not going to be front page news that’s for sure. :-)

33. Ca$h-Money! says:

vinotintazo,

As a non resident of Edmonton I had the same struggle. My solution was to download the Bell Media app for my Iphone, I use it to live stream 1260 using my LTE connection on my phone, synced to my car. Much clearer than AM radio generally (and regardless I don’t get 1260 here) and the data usage is quite minimal, so it doesn’t end up bitting me in the wallet come phone bill time.

34. admiralmark says:

thejonrmcleod says: You realize Buffalo picks second?

It’s quite astonishing how some Oiler fans overvalue Gagner? I’m not sure where this illusion that he holds much value in the NHL market lies? I believe the best offer MacT saw last season was Clifford from LA?

35. Ca$h-Money! says:

On the topic of the Bell Media app, I only ever glance at the picture of yourself on there, but it sure looks like you’re wearing a Colorado Avalanche jersey. It fills me with sadness.

36. Caramel Obvious says:

In any other year none of these guys would be in the conversation for first overall. Trading anything of value for the first overall pick would be a huge mistake. Which, of course, is why Tallon wants to trade it.

Qual Comp: 4th toughest among regular D

This is incorrect.

I think you took it from Extraskater which has the QC as follows:

Smid 29.3%
    Petry 29%
    Ference 28.9%
    Shutlz 28.8%
    Marincin 28.7%

That’s a metric which is based on QC TOI only and they are all razor close.

If you look at BTN you get a different picture:

For straight QC (QC during every scoring play) he is tied with Petry for 1st

For Corsi QC (QC during every corsi event) he is 1st.

If you look at stats.hockeyanalysis.com Marincin is rated 2nd.

Marincin played 1st pairing sir, not 2nd.

The boy played the toughs and thrived.

Finally a prospect crawls through the muck and comes out the other side smelling like a daisy.

He will be cheap and good for a while.

You do not trade players like this.

38. denny33 says:

Ducey,

*************************************************************
    Completely on both of your pages…..Ekblad and a stud C – change the face of this rebuild quickly.

Obviously, it would take a few years but – Bennet and Ekblad ( along with Nurse ) address two GLARING holes in this roster.

39. Jordan says:

Woodguy:

He will be cheap and good for a while.

Doug Wilson, Stan Bowman or Don Maloney would not trade players like this.

So we can expect MacT will because Oilers.

Fixed if for you. :*(

Woodguy:
    Qual Comp: 4th toughest among regular D

This is incorrect.

I think you took it from Extraskater which has the QC as follows:

Smid 29.3%
    Petry 29%
    Ference 28.9%
    Shutlz 28.8%
    Marincin 28.7%

That’s a metric which is based on QC TOI only and they are all razor close.

If you look at BTN you get a different picture:

For straight QC (QC during every scoring play) he is tied with Petry for 1st

For Corsi QC (QC during every corsi event) he is 1st.

If you look at stats.hockeyanalysis.com Marincin is rated 2nd.

Marincin played 1st pairing sir, not 2nd.

The boy played the toughs and thrived.

If MacT trades him for less than a true #1 in apackage he should be shot with a ball of his own shit.

He will be cheap and good for a while.

You do not trade players like this.

I’ve never been comfortable with BTN QC, that’s my reason for going away from it. As for not trading Marincin, from your lips to God’s ears. I don’t believe the Oilers as as devoted to him as the readers/posters on this blog.

41. icecastles says:

Lowetide: I don’t believe the Oilers as as devoted to him as the readers/posters on this blog.

42. Jordan says:

icecastles: Is it overestimating MacT’s savvy to think he’s building up the verbal around Klefbom because he sees Marincin as his true keeper and wants to stoke interest in Klefbom for a trade?

Possibly. I know I’m hoping that’s the case with both him and Schultz.

But my heart’s been broken so many times hoping this team is playing the counter-trey, and finding out that really they’re actually just incompetent, that it’s SO hard to keep believing it even possible, let along likely. The Silver Fox did a lot to make me believe it’s possible with the upgrades in goal he made on the fly this year, but… crediting them actually making that kind of bluff on purpose is… difficult to fathom.

As DK & LT has been suggesting, we’ll have our answer when we find out what kind of offer they make for Rene Bourque.

I think we’d need to see evidence that the Oilers have done this before. although more creative than Lowe and Tambellini, I don’t see him as being the type.

That’s fair.

Even using Extraskater you have to see that there is very little to give between Petry, Marincin, Ference and Shultz.

You can all all 4 of them a mix of 1st or 2nd pair.

Woodguy:

That’s fair.

You can all all 4 of them a mix of 1st or 2nd pair.

Sure, and I agree the young man was all that this year. I’m thrilled he made it, as a guy who hopes for all these kids man it’s nice to see when one of them does what he accomplished this season.

46. bendelson says:

Jordan,

Pending UFA Matt Greene will tell us what we need to know about MacT… if he receives a Ference-type offer this summer from the Oil, the answers to the questions about the GM will be loud, clear and ugly.

Let’s hope MacT can do better than this – much better.

47. 719 says:

Woodguy: If MacT trades him for less than a true #1 in a package he should be shot with a ball of his own shit.

This is the funniest punishment I have ever read. Good show sir!

48. Wolfpack says:

russ99:

I have a very different way of looking at this. I like Marincin a lot but if the projection is that Marincin will probably be better than Byfuglien at 29, that is the reason you DO make that trade. We are talking about 8 YEARS. In eight years this will be a completely different team – the core will most likely be gone. If the Oilers want to contend before 2022 then you absolutely trade Marincin for Byfuglien (or make similar trades to that one) 7 days a week. If MacT cares more about how this team looks in 2022 then he does about how it performs in 2015, then he is out to lunch and we are in for another decade of drought.