RE 13-14 OSCAR KLEFBOM: BRAND NEW DAY

When all the dark clouds roll away, and the sun begins to shine, I see my freedom from across the way, and it comes right in on time. -Van Morrison.

Oscar Klefbom 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.74 (4th among D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: worst available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.3
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +1.0
  • Zone Start: 35.1% (toughest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (2nd best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 14 shots/7.1% (3rd among D>10 shots)
  • Boxcars: 17, 1-2-3
  • Plus Minus: -6 on a team that was -51
  1. What do these numbers tell us? Klefbom had a nice season in limited exposure. By eye, this young man showed all kinds of good things including terrific speed and an idea about how to play the position. His severe zone start, added to the qual comp, means the Corsi is quite impressive. I very much enjoyed Oscar Klefbom’s first games as an NHL player.
  2. It took him a long time. What?
  3. A long time to arrive. He was drafted years ago. He was drafted in 2011. Oscar Klefbom is right on time.
  4. He was taken 19th, after all the good defensemen were gone. Heh. NHL teams chose Adam Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Duncan Siemens, Ryan Murphy, Jamie Oleksiak and Nathan Beaulieu ahead of him.
  5. In that group, who is an established NHL defenseman? Hmmm. I’ll say Hamilton, Brodin.
  6. No Larsson? Our man is having a tough time.
  7. Good thing MBS didn’t take him at #1, eh? I thought there was absolutely no brain power required in choosing #1 overalls?
  8. No CREDIT is given, only blame. Ah. Good to know.
  9. Is Klefbom going to make it? Injuries will be the story if he doesn’t have a long career. Klefbom has played 78 hockey games since 2012 summer, so he missed some development time already, and his injury history is a very real worry.
  10. So, the pick was an abject failure. Not even you believe that.
  11. Okay, if healthy, what could he be? Oscar Klefbom is a legitimate candidate to be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL.
  12. Like you’d know. Oscar Klefbom is a defenseman, a real one. He reads and reacts, closes gaps, recognizes sorties as they develop and thwarts oncoming rushes. He can play the position, he’s 6.03, 215, and he skates so beautifully that angels sing.
  13. Good grief. Okay, that last part was too far.
  14. Ya think? I like him plenty.
  15. More than Marincin? No. But the Oilers do.
  16. Who did he play with? At 5×5, 126 minutes with Schultz, 56 minutes with Mark Fraser.
  17. Christ, what did they have planned for him beyond that? Cory Cross? Well, he managed to play with them and show some very nice things.
  18. Should they start him in the minors next season? Yes.
  19. Will they? No.
  20. What’s the best thing you can say about Oscar Klefbom? He’s bona fide. If you saved the games he played in, watch them again. This is a wonderful hockey player, there’s an authority in his skating and guile in his actions. He’ll need to fly a 1,000 sorties and learn on the job, but that process is underway and there are good days a head for Klefbom as an Oiler.
  21. He’s a beauty! Yes. That’s what he is, a beauty.
  22. What’s the worst thing you can say about Oscar Klefbom? We know his weakness and it’s a very very worrisome thing.
  23. Do you think he’ll play 1,000 games? I wouldn’t bet on it.
  24. Who can we compare him too? Brodin probably.
  25. Would you be shocked if they trade him? They won’t trade him.
  26. What makes you so sure? “In the course of what I was doing this year early, I took a trip to Farjestad to watch Oscar. I went in there with one of our Swedish scouts, Pelle Eklund, and it was one of those games where I walked in, sat down, watched warm-up, Oscar came on the ice. The team that they were playing, Modo at the time, dumped the puck in the corner. Oscar pivoted and went back hard and fast for the puck. He fought off a pretty physical forecheck, turned to the back of the net, made a movement of the puck, a simple play, a direct pass up to the wall. That player subsequently turned the puck over. Oscar closed the gap in a hurry in the corner, used his stick, finished his check, knocked the guy off the puck, spun the other side of the net and moved the puck out. I turned to Pelle at the time and said, we can pretty much pack up our briefcase right now and get outta here, I’ve seen enough. I’m always a little bit skeptical when I hear very positive things without having seen them myself. I wanted to spend that trip, get over, take a look at Oscar and we have high hopes that he’ll be a part of our team very quickly. Whether he needs some time, we like to think that all players are benefited from some sort of time in the American Hockey League. Oscar, having played with men this year, might be an exception, but that will be determined at training camp for him.”

37 Responses to "RE 13-14 OSCAR KLEFBOM: BRAND NEW DAY"

1. nqmt says:

LT, do you think in an ideal world, Nurse would be in junior, Marincin and Klefblom would be in the minors next year because that would mean MacT got us a lot of dman help?

2. Ben says:

Really, the positive showings by Klefbom and Marincin highlight the astonishing poverty of the pro scouting in identifying quality veteran D.

3. 719 says:

A prospect who has developed nicely despite many injuries. Pitlick and Hamilton have no excuses.

nqmt:

I do think MacT probably makes two changes this summer:

1. He trades for a 25 minutes a night veteran, say Matt Carle just as an example.
    2. He adds Matt Greene. Smoke meet fire.

Carle-Petry
    Marincin-Schultz
    Ference-Greene

something like that.

5. Marcus Oilerius says:

I just came here to say Chicago has the greatest goal song of all time.

It’s simultaneously funny, joyful, and mocking.

on today’s SSE with Paul Almeida, our guests include:

George Richards, Miami Herald. We’ll discuss Tallon’s plans
    Kyle Dubas, General Manager of the Soo Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League. We’ll talk about Darnell Nurse and the Greyhounds use of advanced stats
    Dean Cordeiro, we’ll talk about World Cup soccer

noon to 2, TSN1260. Questions welcome!

7. Marcus Oilerius says:

Great lineup. For once I’ll be able to tune in!

8. Halfwise says:

Doug Lynch is a great comparable to Klefbom at this stage of his career. I just hope there is no foreshadowing involved.

9. czar says:

“he skates so beautifully that angels sing”

I got a chuckle out of that LT. If he can stay healthy we’ll all be singing.

10. flyfish1168 says:

It would be interesting to know what MBS thoughts were on Larson in the 2011 draft and if he is available would the Oilers trade for him if he price is right

11. Henry says:

flyfish1168:
    It would be interesting to know what MBS thought are on Larson in the 2011 draft and if he is available would the Oilers trade for him if he price is right

12. Melman says:

Lowetide: I think Marincin will be on the NHL team next season, and that’s a good thing. He’s shown enough imo that a reasonable team would allow him the leeway to play his way off the team. jmo.

I do think MacT probably makes two changes this summer:

2. He adds Matt Greene. Smoke meet fire.

Carle-Petry
    Marincin-Schultz
    Ference-Greene

something like that.

I was enjoying my morning coffee right until reading that

13. Henry says:

I always get a kick out of the MacT quote about Klefbom, mainly because of the way a professional hockey guy can remember and describe the details of individual plays when there are thousands floating in his head. Serious poker players are like that. Anyone can follow a hand as its going on, good ones remember every hand for a long time.

Klefbom has really superior speed forward and backward. With his size it will be a terrific combination particularly as he develops his acumen for the North American game. In another half year or so he could be an ideal partner to cover for Schultz’ sorties.

14. Hammers says:

Klefbom could be the trade bait with say Gags to get that top “D”. I like you, think Marincin is and will continue to be the better “D” of the two . I’m hoping after all this waiting that McT keeps them both but fear a good G.M. will ask for 1 of them in any trade . . He has to get a top “D” so if one of those two don’t go the 3rd overall pick will have to.

15. RexLibris says:

Hey LT,

I think your alter ego is hung over. He sounds like he’s being a bit of a jerk today. Although you did a terrific job in provoking him.

Klefbom. If it comes down to a day where this team needs to decide between he and Marincin, I think I may cry. I just hope the Oilers don’t make a Redden/Chara mistake should the time come.

16. flyfish1168 says:

Henry: You mean something like Gagner for Larsson? NJ did not win a single shootout this year.

I feel Jerseys d-men are will schooled and experienced before being brought up to the NHL level.
    NJD has at least 3 other d-men that they were bringing up during the season that are just a little older than Larson, in Merrill, Gelinas, and Urbom. Jersey needs scoring and they can cover some of Gagner’ s D mistakes

It still be interesting to hear what MBS had to say about Larson at the 2011 draft

17. Marcus Oilerius says:

Larsson for Ganger+ would be a steal.

The toughest part of his development – learning how much he has left to learn – is behind him. At this point he’s in the AHL to build confidence in his skills, because he took a beating in the big league.

18. hockeyguy10 says:

As far as anthem singers go Rancourt is a wet noodle compared to the guy in Chicago.

19. Henry says:

flyfish1168: I think I would go for that. Larson is only 20yrs old. Has already played in over 100 NHL games before being sent to the AHL. If this happens we probably don’t feel the need to draft Ekblad and then concentrate on a centerman.

NJD has at least 3 other d-men that they were bringing up during the seasonthat are just a little older than Larson, in Merrill, Gelinas, and Urbom. Jersey needs scoring and they can cover some of Gagner’ s D mistakes

Well the ‘consensus’ was that Larsson was the next Lidstrom. The opinion now would depend on Dave Semenko along with MBS.

20. flyfish1168 says:

Coyotes goal song I would rate as second best

Especially with the howl

21. One-Timer says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    I just came here to say Chicago has the greatest goal song of all time.

It’s simultaneously funny, joyful, and mocking.

And it’s impressive for a large crowd to sing all those semitones in tune!

on today’s SSE with Paul Almeida, our guests include:

George Richards, Miami Herald. We’ll discuss Tallon’s plans
    Dean Cordeiro, we’ll talk about World Cup soccer

noon to 2, TSN1260. Questions welcome!

WC: Belgium is a team that could surprise. With a backbone of Mignolet, Kompany, Hazard and Lukaku, along with a relatively weak group, they might get along pretty well. What does Mr. Cordeiro say?

czar:
    “he skates so beautifully that angels sing”

I got a chuckle out of that LT. If he can stay healthy we’ll all be singing.

This blog is a rich repository of figurative language, for sure.

Sorry for not talking about hockey! I hope Klef is an Oiler for a long long time.

22. wordbird says:

RexLibris,

please please keep both, MacT. trade Schultz instead. and sign 2 or 3 Mike Weavers (useful type d-man)…

23. sliderule says:

My friend keeps telling me the rumour is there for a Perron for a first pairing D.

This would leave the current roster with a projected 151 goals.

If the oilers get .915 save percentage from Scrivens they will reduce their goals against to around 230.

When you consider every playoff team has a positive differential where are they going to pick up 80 goals.That will be an interesting calculation when you do your Re’s

I suppose they think the D they trade for will cut their GA by another 10 or 15 but I can see the Oil in top five for McDavid.

RexLibris:
    Hey LT,

Muckler didn’t make a Redden/Chara mistake. Chara wouldn’t give him a number. Chara was chosing to leave. He was going to July 1 and UFA status.

Muckler’s choice was always Chara. If Chara would have given him a number and signed, he would have let Redden go UFA.

25. barry.moore23 says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    I just came here to say Chicago has the greatest goal song of all time.

It’s simultaneously funny, joyful, and mocking.

Have you ever been to see the Oilers play at the UC? The goal song sucks nearly as much as that damn horn at the Scottrade center. Ugh !!!!!!

26. VanOil says:

I would love for Klefbom to start the next year in the AHL. A 1.5 season stink in the AHL seems ideal seasoning for defenders. For the Oilers I would see that progression as follows;

Kelfbom arriving late next year in the NHL as a long term injury or draft deadline deal replacement.

Simpson arriving late the following year.

Nurse arriving the year after and win the Calder.

To achieve this dream time line I would, obtain Kulikov (+ 2014 2nd) for 2015 1st and Fedun to play on the top pair. I would also add a Wisniewski class player for Musil + 2014 3d to play on the bottom pair.

Sadly I expect Schultz, Klefbom, and Nurse to be on Oilers starting line up. With Petry and Marincin lost to playoff teams.

27. VanOil says:

I would love the Oilers to employ a stats guy that provided written responses to articles like GMoney’s Yak review and Dellow’s new faceoff focus.

Just a response like “Thank you for you thoughtful examination. We will compare this with are own findings and investigate further” would be so reassuring. As Oilers fans we are overdue reassurance that the team knows what they are doing.

28. Gerta Rauss says:

VanOil: A 1.5 season stink in the AHL

The parent club has that beat…8 years of stink and counting!!

29. Gerta Rauss says:

I tend to agree re: Klef vs Marinicin

I think the Oilers have decided and Klef is the one they keep. I’d keep Marinicin myself…he’s closer to the known commodity and Klefbom’s injury history and (lack of) offense scares me a little.

30. VanOil says:

Gerta Rauss,

Yes, this playoff hockey thing is not exciting at all we would not want that. Wow, that third period in Boston was epic.

I might have meant stint but I am not sure and leaving it.

31. Pajamah says:

RexLibris,

So you’re saying keep Marincin?

Gerta Rauss:
    I tend to agree re: Klef vs Marinicin

Last time I checked, a team has to dress six defensemen, with a 7th in the pressbox, and because of injury usually end up playing nine or ten during a season.

The correct answer is KEEP BOTH. 2 <<<< 6.

33. icecastles says:

One-Timer: WC: Belgium is a team that could surprise.

34. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10,

Both players are wonderful prospects, and if you believe this organization can draft and develop every one of our prospects on the way to a Stanley Cup, well, you’re a much more pragmatic and patient fan than I am.

The Oilers have clearly defined deficiencies with their NHL roster-deficiencies that (likely) can only be filled via trade. We can hope that we fill out the roster via UFA signings, but I believe the 1D and/or 2c comes via trade.

Trading from a position of strength(D prospects) doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Turning Klefbom into an established NHL defenceman that helps this club in October can – and should- be viewed as a positive transaction.

I may be naive, but I believe in filling out an NHL defence with NHL players. Our prospect pool can absorb trading one of the kids this summer and still provide depth to fill out those 8,9,and 10 postions at the NHL level.

35. One-Timer says:

icecastles: I believe “Steve Smith” would support me in being fairly indifferent toward Belgium.

I bet Steve Smith is surprised that Belgium still exists as a country. But they’ve got some top-drawer soccer players these days.

Edit: I mean “Steve Smith” – we shouldn’t mix them up.

36. RexLibris says:

Pajamah:
    RexLibris,

So you’re saying keep Marincin?

37. One-Timer says:

RexLibris: If I were forced to choose between one or the other, I would trade Klefbom. Of course, this is one of those “Because Oilers” scenarios where they apparently paint themselves into a corner where they have to choose between keeping Tom Gilbert or Jeff Petry and the obvious answer, the one that is ignored or argued away, is “BOTH DAMMIT!”

Exactly. Oilerian history (viz. Gilbert/Nultz) suggests they will get burned on a straight-across type of deal. Unless one of them is part of a packege to get that mystical 1D, then keep ‘em both.