SWEET AND DANDY

The 2011 Entry Draft had to be a home run draft. The club had Taylor Hall and some hopefuls from the 2010 edition, but if the Boys on the Bus 2.0 looked to have any long term success, a cluster needed to be built. As the months between today and the 2011 entry draft continue to fly by, the names are growing in importance. The Edmonton Oilers had a quality draft in 2011, their best in many years. There are six players either in the NHL or tracking that way—even if three make the grade that’s an excellent addition to the cluster. nuge helmet

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, NHL,  per 82GP: 18-41-59

Nuge’s offense pales in comparison to Taylor Hall’s (per 82GP: 31-44-75) but he’s a wonderful hockey player. Oiler fans are, incredibly, already taking him for granted. That’s okay. He turned 21 in April. There are 15 glorious years straight ahead. FIFTEEN BULLETS!

I’m using Vollman’s numbers unless otherwise noted. OKC Barons photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved.

FORWARDS (per 82GP)

1. Tobias Rieder: 16-12-28. This is such a nice player, and one more reminder that Steve Tambellini wasn’t helping. Rieder is an undersized skill player, and the Oilers have a bunch of them. I imagine Tambellini felt that the club already had Eberle, Gagner, etc and they’d never need him. Here’s a bulletin: NHL teams ALWAYS have room for capable players making less than a million dollars. Credit to the scouts here, they got a good prospect at #114 overall.
  2. Travis Ewanyk: 4-3-7. The Oilers love this forward, I have very little doubt we’ll see him (eventually) as a 4th line energy player. He was part of the Steve Staios-Aaron Johnson trade (well, the pick was acquired that way) and taken out of order. I think Michael Parkatti did a wonderful job of explaining the player and the situation: He’s a local kid. His intangomometer (a device which measures intangibles) is apparently off the charts. In limited viewings the kid does have defensive ability and legit skating ability, it’s just the lack of offense that’s been a consistent issue. There’s an NHL career awaiting whomever wins the battle to become the Oilers 4th line centre, and I think it’ll go down to Anton Lander and Ewanyk.mckenziedellowdawgbone

You don’t know what you don’t know, and we don’t know what Craig MacTavish thinks of Ewanyk. Having said that, I think he’ll play, at the very least getting some Liam Reddox minutes somewhere in the next two seasons. Rieder is tracking well.

DEFENSE (per 82GP)

1. Dillon Simpson 6-13-19. I’m excited to see Dillon Simpson as a pro hockey player. A lot of the verbal surrounding him on draft day had skating as an issue, but those issues have faded demonstrably. Let’s compare draft day scouting report with today: Red Line Report scout Max Giese: “He’s a smart player defensively, rarely out of position; but he’s a pretty bad skater and he doesn’t have any poise moving the puck.” That was written after his first UND season, a year in which 17-year old Simpson would have been playing against men in their 20s. Now, Bruce McCurdy from April 2014: Overall I found myself more impressed with Simpson’s game than with his physical skills. His innate understanding of where to find the “good ice”, to recognize and execute the simple play, and to read opposition threats all scored high. The defender prides himself on his ability to stay out of the penalty box, having taken just 48 penalty minutes in his four years at UND. Still, there’s a lack of physical bite to his game which is bound to alienate a portion of the fanbase should he make it as far as the NHL.”
  2. Martin Gernat 3-11-14: A nice addition late in the draft, Gernat has some chaos issues that coach Nelson has been tackling all year. Although he played less than David Musil (to my eye) this season, I think Gernat has better long-term potential. He has some nice offensive things (shot, mobile) and the defensive issues can be improved by flying two more years of sorties in the AHL. I love his range, mobility and story.
  3. Oscar Klefbom 1-7-8. The great thing about writing an Oilers blog is that I don’t have to spend 400 words here trying to convince you Klefbom is a player. He was shaky early in his first game, and then slowly but surely gathered confidence. By season’s end, I think many (me) were convinced he’ll have a strong career—the only question being when do you begin to count on him? Like Darnell Nurse, offense is only a portion of his value, it’s important to remember that when discussing potential boxcars.
  4. David Musil 1-6-7. I’ve been fascinated by people’s reaction to him. I had an NHL scout tell me Musil wouldn’t be able to play at AHL pace, but that he had a very good brain for the defensive side of the game. I’ve had Oiler fans—intelligent Oiler fans—foam at the mouth over the selection (and, considering what was still on the board, with reason). However, the gloom is off the rose. Jonathan Willis: There’s been a lot of doom and gloom around Musil’s status as a prospect, but his game has translated beautifully to the professional ranks. He generally alternates with (and occasionally plays beside) Martin Gernat on Oklahoma’s third pairing and seems comfortable playing on his off-side. Musil is on track, and may end up being a third pairing, PK guy who brings the muscle, but I’ve enjoyed watching him beats the odds in his unique way.

This is a very nice group. I think they might all play in the NHL someday, and at least two of these guys are on track to begin their careers as Edmonton Oilers (Klefbom and Simpson) based on range of skills and team need. Musil and Gernat lag behind in the group, but not as much as one might think. If you woke me up 20 years from now and said Martin Gernat had an NHL career I wouldn’t bat an eye. He’s got some things.

GOALIES

1. Samu Perhonen 8gp, 3.19 .864 Indiana Ice (USHL). I have no idea how the Oilers identify goaltenders. It must be like that Bob Dylan scene in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (“hmmm, beans, baked beans…”) where they’re just reading labels.
  2. Frans Tuohimaa 19gp, 3.12 .894 HPK (Sm-Liiga). God, I don’t know what to put here. Lisa McRitchie :You would think that because one of the Finnish goaltenders was selected in the third round, and the other not until the seventh round, that one is better than the other. ”Not really quite true. We just thought that with the younger guy, that you needed to get at it, that if you wanted to get him you’ve got to step up and get him just because he’s in his draft year. Sometimes those later aged guys, you can take a little bit more of a chance. I know that [Oilers goaltending coach] Freddie Chabot saw these guys play over in Finland and has watched tape on them. He was really thrilled when I phoned him just before the seventh, just before our pick. I said, ‘What if we take Tuohimaa with this one’, and he said, ‘I’d be really happy.’” Tuohimaa is either someone of interest, or he isn’t. I will say I like him more than Perhonen just based on cost.

I don’t talk about these guys much because it doesn’t seem useful. Goalies can surprise you, so we shouldn’t go too far overboard in calling these picks terrible. However, the Perhonen selection, especially early, is galling considering they basically had these two men in a hat. Perhaps they could have stepped up later?

RANKING THE 2011 OILER DRAFT

1. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  2. D Oscar Klefbom
  3. D Dillon Simpson
  4. D Martin Gernat
  5. R Tobias Rieder
  6. D David Musil
  7. C Travis Ewanyk
  8. G Frans Tuohimaa
  9. G Samu Perhonen

The Oilers have one guy in the NHL, Klefbom basically there, and I like the chances for Simpson and Gernat. That’s really good value three seasons after the draft. It’s really, really important to remember that Martin Gernat, as an example, is progressing. That’s a thing. I’m hammering the point but it seems to me that people are missing it. When you’re tired from ripping Stu MacGregor, please remember that this draft has Nuge AND three defensemen who are on track. That’s surely worth acknowledging, right? I mean, before going back to bloodletting and such.

Rieder also looks like a player, but I’m going to downplay his progress, Musil’s debut, and anything Ewanyk might deliver. Why? It takes away from the argument in the previous paragraph. If you REALLY want to be fair, and more than an internet goon, then please look at this 2011 entry draft by the Edmonton Oilers.

There’s some good stuff here.

COMBINING THE 2011-2013 DRAFTS (RANKED)

1. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  22. C Travis Ewanyk
  23. L Daniil Zharkov
  24. G Frans Tuohimaa
  25. L Evan Campbell
  26. Samu Perhonen

Agree? Disagree?

45 Responses to "SWEET AND DANDY"

1. Zangetsu says:

This is essentially the same verbal on gernat that marincin had last year. I really think they both make it, and form a twin towers 2nd pairing.

2. heavyoilcountry says:

Am I crazy to suggest that drafting a goalie outside the 2nd round is pointless when chances are they’ll never amount to much & there’s always seems to be quality back-ups available? I mean, if you’re going to take a flyer in these rounds, pick a D or F, right?

3. supernova says:

What an excellent defensive draft.

One of the four young D could be on the team for years, another one or 2 could become excellent trade chips.

Ewanyk is “the coaches dream” player having seen him many, many times there is a chance he ekes out a Strudwick type career. Maybe not the games played but what strudwick brought with intangibles and his defence of team mates.

The curious case of Musil.

Remembering back when the experts start ranking the draft but the players are 2 seasons away from the draft. Musil was highly highly thought of, he also held great sway and was able to pick his WHL team. The problem is that he never reached the heights predicted of him. Possibly he was never going to be the #1 D that many thought he would be. This doesn’t mean he won’t have a productive career as a 5 or 6 though.
    Too bad he wasn’t a round 4 pick but he had the pedigree for years with his name.

4. heavyoilcountry says:

Zangetsu,

Ala Smith/Beukeboom would be nice!

5. Hammers says:

As of today I would put Klefbom ahead of Nurse and I thought Moroz would be in the top 10 .Maybe ahead of Gernat . RNH deserves to be #1 but he needs another top “C” now not 2 years down the road as he has to much pressure on him .

Excellent stuff LT.

This series on the drafts is even handed and sober.

Nice change from those who scream bloody murder 10 seconds after a pick is made.

The ones I’m watching closely are: Khaira, Yakimov, Chase, Moroz and Houck.

These are the types of players the Oilers lack now, its just a matter of whether they can bring it to the NHL.

If Houck can improve his skating he might even be the best of the bunch.

7. vesci says:

Thanks for all your hard work LT. Once again great stuff.
    Consider this my thank you to you.

I don’t like the idea of 4th line energy guys who bring little offence.

Let’s compare Ewanyk’s draft boxcars compared to the 4th line for the 4 Cup Finalists:

Ewanyk 72gp 27pts 126PIM (3rd round)

All player stats CHL unless otherwise note.

MTL

Weise-Briere-Prust

Draft year:

Prust 64gp, 52pts, 226 PIM (3rd round)
    Weise 53gp, 51pts, 84PIM (4th round)
    Briere – We know Briere is

NYR

Dorsett-Moore-Boyle

Draft year:

Dorsett 68gp 48pts 279 PIM (6th round)
    Moore – 30gp 28pts 16PIM (3rd round – ECAC)
    Boyle – 31gp 61pts 26PIM (1st round – MASS High School)

LAK

Clifford-Pearson-Tyfolli

Clifford 60gp 28pts 123PIM (2nd round) *closest Ewaynk comparable
    Pearson 60gp 91pts 37PIM (1st round – 2nd year of eligibility)
    Tyfolli 65gp 79pts 54PIM (2nd round)

CHI

Been a bunch of injuries so I’ll use the players with the most games:

Krueger-Versteeg-Bollig

Krueger 39gp 34pts 29PIM (4th round -SWE JR)
    Versteeg 68gp 49pts 65PIM (4th round)
    Bollig 58gp 16pts 175PIM (not drafted – stats from 18 year old USHL year)

What the thread here?

Players with no offence in their 18 year old year can make the NHL in a 4th line role, but you better bets (on your better teams anyhow) are for players with more offence.

I know the verbal around Moroz and why he was taken so high, but Ewanyk in the 3rd is a real head scratcher.

Want to take a .375pts/gm player because of his gritensity and intangometer? Sure, all teams do.

Take him in the 3rd round?

No sir, I don’t understand that.

9. Jonathan Willis says:

Ewanyk was in over his head in a fourth-line role in the AHL this year. He’s physical and he kills penalties but he has a long, long road ahead of him.

Nelson really likes Musil, and seemed bullish on him as an NHL possibility. Here’s what he said in February:

. I have to tell you, I like the way he battles in the corners; he’s definitely strong enough to play up there. What impressed me about him is that he makes better decision with the puck than I thought he had in him. He’s able to try and make the right play; it’s a matter of execution because of skill level, that’s a different matter, but if he keeps a simple game… it’s his footspeed. With David it’s a matter of being able to handle a guy like Phil Kessel coming down the wing. We’ve seen guys in the NHL in the past that weren’t overly quick; for David that’s something where hopefully he matures and gets quicker as he gets older, but he’s a guy I could see playing some [NHL] games next year.

And I tend to agree with Zangetsu above on Gernat – in a lot of ways, he’s looked like a slightly lower-case Marincin in the AHL and you hear the same things said about him.

A quick pts/gm summary (in order) of the draft year of all the players in my post above:

Briere 2.43pts/gm

Boyle 1.97
    Pearson 1.51 (2nd year of eligibility had .636pts his first year, Ewaynk’s draft year)
    Tyfolli 1.22

Weise .962
    Moore .933

Kruger .871
    Prust .813

Versteeg .720
    Dorsett .701

Clifford .467

Ewaynk .375

Bollig .275 (not drafted)

I don’t think I need to add any comment to this.

11. admiralmark says:

When watching the games OKC played in Abbotsford this year 2 things stood out for me. 1) Musil did not see him good. Maybe early but I saw him get beat inside and out several times. 2) Khaira looked great. Still raw in some ways but had the look and style resembling Kesler from what i saw. 1-2 more years in tyne AHL and I definitely could see him as a solid 3rd line player. Possible 2nd line someday.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That gif… oh man. I still don’t understand how that wasn’t a high-sticking penalty. How do you see that and not blush as a ref?

The thing about Ewanyk… I hadn’t seen much of his actual play until this year. I watched a fair number of Barons’ games this year. What struck me about his play is that he looked a lot less “defensively reliable” than I was expecting given the verbal surrounding him, esp. for a center who is supposed to be a future, d-zone ace with grit.

I saw him caught out of position a number of times this year.

Now, that may be pro learning curve. Maybe he gets it together next year. But, I wasn’t impressed in the one category that’s supposed to be his calling card (aside from the other one: grit, which he certainly has).

Also… speaking of Tambo and Rieder… Tambo signed Ewanyk.

March 22nd.

It’s open to question whether MacT signs him. I’m not convinced he does.

Romulus Apotheosis:

I saw him caught out of position a number of times this year.

Also… speaking of Tambo and Rieder… Tambo signed Ewanyk.

March 22nd.

It’s open to question whether MacT signs him. I’m not convinced he does.

I heard that Reider wasn’t going to sign in EDM and that’s why they traded him.

Anyone else hear that?

Anyone with a radio show that can perhaps interview Reider and ask him?

I think the Oilers may pursue Umberger. Agree he’s not the guy they should go after, and the Jacket s HS him this season, but can’t believe Howson wouldn’t say good things about him. Contract is awful, he’d be well below value in year one, less valuable in the seasons following.

I think Oil would look at him as a bridge ala Ference. The money should mean they get him for nothing.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: I heard that Reider wasn’t going to sign in EDM and that’s why they traded him.

Anyone else hear that?

Anyone with a radio show that can perhaps interview Reider and ask him?

I’ve heard that a lot too….

but here’s my response. If he’s not going to sign, it’s got to be because the team has signalled to him he doesn’t fit with the program. that they see his skill as duplicated within the organization.

That, or he just doesn’t like EDM as a city or something random.

If he won’t sign, it’s because the Oilers are horribly run and have created the conditions where he feels he’s got no future.

16. jayzz says:

All I have to say about this draft is even a blind chicken scratches up a worm once and a while.

17. alice13 says:

LT, that is a fine record.
    Used to play it in the car for the kids, and today’s number always puts a smile on the face. It should be given as medicine.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

watch them trade Gagner for him.

I can see them thinking bridge. They clearly think Khaira, Moroz, Yakimov are the big fellows of the future.

I just hope they aim higher (in player quality) and lower (in $$ and term). A guy like Penner would be perfect.

Romulus Apotheosis: watch them trade Gagner for him.

bridge to those men and Connor McDavid.

20. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Umberger?

no thanks!

Good writeup Mr. Apoth. If every move is supposed to bring the Oilers closer to a Stanley (as MacT has said), Umberger is not one to make. Anisimov might be though. Dubinsky’s recent play must make him untouchable now.

21. Pouzar says:

Anyone else hear that?

Anyone with a radio show that can perhaps interview Reider and ask him?

That’s exactly how I remember it. And that’s what i NEED to believe. :)

speeds:
    RLR has both Fabbri and Fiala in their top 10, 9th and 10th respectively.

Ha! Fabbri’s a helluva player by the numbers. What do you make of Fiala’s rise? I’m always leery of small sample size tournaments swaying people, but he was well enough liked before the tourney, too.

23. p2e2l says:

Why do you include Tobias Rieder, since traded, as an Oiler prospect?

24. Rondo says:

If Oilers have to decide between Bennett or Draisaitl who do you think Oilers would choose?

About Umberger, Lander, Arco and Gagner

p2e2l:
    Why do you include Tobias Rieder, since traded, as an Oiler prospect?

I’m looking at the draft, as it relates to the scouts. I see no reason to exclude Rieder, since MacGregor drafted him. Is this another of these ‘first overall picks get no credit, only blame’ things?

27. gd says:

I think lost in all of our criticism of all things Oilers is that Klefbom was a very good pick at 19, considering without the injuries he might be the best talent picked in the 1st round after Brodin at 10. There’s a lot of guys in the back half of the first round that look as suspect as Musil. Saad seems to be an indictment of the entire NHL scouting system rather than just the Oilers. The 2nd round in 2011 seems pretty strong, but there’s not a ton of guys trending well from the 3rd round and beyond that we can criticize too much, though Perhonen was another Heskethian/Abneyesque bad pick.

I’ve been out of the hockey loop lately, I’m wondering if there is a feeling that the lockout has hurt the development of lots of guys from the 2010-2012 drafts throughout the league? Also I notice Bakersfield is 1-1 in the ECHL semi-final, and Broissoit seems to be leading them. Is there a feeling that he is a legit NHL prospect at this point?

28. VanOil says:

No to RJ Yes to Penner.

More centers good. Centers that can win faceoffs more good.

Penner-Gordon-Arco ~would get puck keep puck
    Hendricks-Malhotra-Lander ~would get puck keep puck

Keep Gagner until his value rebounds or the #3 draft pick actually beats him out for the job.

gd:

Saad was always a top ten talent who draft eligible season cratered because of off-ice issues.

How does one evaluate a prospect whose on ice play is being impacted by off ice issues? He was a binary prospect. A home-run or a great talent with a huge potential to bust.

So unless a team had a really good grasp of the off ice problems impacting Saad, and whether they would go away, Saad was a coin flip. Home run or strike out.

gd:

Olivier Roy led the Stockton Thunder to the ECHL final. Is he a legit NHL prospect at this point. I think one has to stop pucks in the AHL first before one can be considered an NHL prospect. Both Roy and Brossoit have been lousy at that so far.

godot10: Olivier Roy led the Stockton Thunder to the ECHL final.Is he a legit NHL prospect at this point.I think one has to stop pucks in the AHL first before one can be considered an NHL prospect.Both Roy and Brossoit have been lousy at that so far.

This.

32. VanOil says:

The best hope for either of the Eastern conference teams is significant injuries and a 7 game series in the West. LA and Chicago are very good at hockey. Mtl and NYR would struggle to make it out of the 1st round in the West.

33. gd says:

godot10,

Thanks. That’s probably all I need to know at this point.

34. Bruce McCurdy says:

Brossoit has gone the whole way for Stockton. .934.

Bruce McCurdy: Roy has split the duties in Alaska with Gerald Coleman. Roy .909, Coleman .934 in the playoffs.

Brossoit has gone the whole way for Stockton. .934.

Olivier Roy, in leading the Oilers Stockton Thunder to the ECHL final last year. From hockeydb:
    2012-13 Stockton Thunder ECHL 9 1 0 545 11 1 1 1.21 7 2 0 271 0.961

Save percentage 0.961!!!

36. Zangetsu says:

Some russians look like they might fall in the draft. Particularily nicolay goldobin. 5’11.5″ RW and put up basically the same number of points as bennett. Russian factor with him. Claim is he is “moody” on the ice. I think that translates to streaky in canadian. Vladislav kamenyev is another one. 6’2 C playing in the KHL. Plenty of offense at the U18s, but likely limited icetime in pro. Has “zero accountability”. Also worth noting is he was captain of the U18 team. There are also concerns he is soft.

With macT’s willingness to take russians, we might see these guys as oilers if the slip because of the russian factor.

Goldobin ISS 26 THN 34
    Kamenev ISS 29 THN 56

37. Rebilled says:

Speaking of goalies, isn’t there a chance we see Dubnyk on the bench for the Habs tomorrow?

If Budaj gets lit up this could be interesting.

38. blainer says:

Zangetsu: lockout has hurt the development of lots of guys from the 2010-2012 drafts

Agree. I think that Gernat makes it too. The guy can really skate and with that height and with some weight gain he will make a great D. I really feel that our prospect pool on D is deep. I would not hesitate to trade Nurse and Gagner and next years first in a package for a big winger and center like Hanzal… if…Ekblad falls to us. I am Expecting big things from MacT..

39. Logan91 says:

Rondo:

If Oilers have to decide betweenBennett orDraisaitlwho do you think Oilers would choose?

I’d say Bennett, if he was still there. I honestly think he might go number 1, the speed and skill that Bennett has is something special. If anyone were to complain about his size its a pointless argument, the kid drives the net like a power forward at times.

40. One-Timer says:

From the ‘team needs’ perspective, the very best thing about this list is all of the C and D in the top 10. Looks like scouting and management have been on the same page for a while now.

The downside is the lack of offence. Besides 1, 2 and 5, there isn’t a ton of firepower, and the defencemen are pretty… defensive. Hopefully with another year in junior Nurse will really light up the boxcars.

Is there no big shot from the point anywhere in the system? Does anyone think Marincin might become that guy once he’s settled in?

Poor Samu. Bottom of the barrel and LT won’t even call him a goalie.

41. sliderule says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I always wondered if his agent wanted a bigger contract than the oilers thought. a mid round pick gets.

In his second season he scored like a first round pick and then tailed off in his final season.

He had some injuries in his final year which probably affected his play.

I am betting that he will play in nhl and probably well.

42. raventalon40 says:

Rebilled:

If Budaj gets lit up this could be interesting.

I was wondering this myself

43. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10: Olivier Roy, in leading the Oilers Stockton Thunder to the ECHL final last year.From hockeydb:
    2012-13Stockton ThunderECHL91054511111.217202710.961

Save percentage 0.961!!!

well yeah, there is the matter that Roy is in his 2nd pro season & still in the ECHL. Probably not a good sign.