THE SLEPYSHEV SLOPE

The 2013 Entry Draft will soon take its annual photo, and as always there are some good and bad things to report. The top and bottom of the draft are fine (Nurse, Chase) and there are good things in the middle. And then there’s Anton Slepyshev.

• Pronman draft day: He is an above-average skater, with agility and free movement, as his shiftiness makes him hard to check. He has a plus shot and he knows it, as his mentality is often shoot-first, even from distance. He can still make plays, and he does not have tunnel vision, but his playmaking skills are not his best element. His physical game has progressed, and he has added strength since last season. He can protect pucks moderately well. He will display physical effort, although it could be better at times. He also needs to work on his defensive game.

SLEPYSHEV IN THE KHL

• 2011-12 (age 17) 39GP, 4-3-7 (8:55 TOI, 28 shots) (1.21 points-per-60) (4.83 shots-per-60)
  • 2012-13 (age 18) 26GP, 7-2-9 (12:40 TOI, 63 shots) (1.64 points-per-60) (11.48 shots-per-60)
  • 2013-14 (age 19) 36GP, 3-5-8 (10:18 TOI, 59 shots) (1.30 points-per-60) (9.55 shots-per–60)

Assuming my math is correct, I’m interested in discussed  the season just past for Slepyshev. He lost playing time, and he wasn’t as successful in the boxcars or secondary numbers. Is the downturn significant? I don’t think it is. Should we look forward to a stronger season in 2014-15? I’d say likely, depending on Salavat Yulaev’s plans for guys like Hartikainen.

Thoughts?

zzzz

14 Responses to "THE SLEPYSHEV SLOPE"

1. Manitoba Oilers says:

From what I’ve seen has his contract not ended after 13/14.

2. frjohnk says:

I really like this pick, but even if he never crosses the ocean, it was just a third round pick. This guy has talent, there is a reason why he was picked number 1 in the KHL draft in 2011 and played in that league as a 17 year old.

He looked good at the WJC’s this past year. Skilled and willing to through his body around. Put up 7 points in 7 games. He was the captain. I also noticed he was captain at the WJC-18 two years ago.

Yeah, he may not have progressed as one would hope over the last 3 years in the KHL but with more playing time he should put up more points next year. The bigger question is he willing to come over?

3. eidy says:

It is funny how some draft prospects stick out over time. Each year you follow closer than others. I have mentioned Reider before, last year I watched from round 4 on waiting for chase, and my other is anton. I watched him walk in, cut to the middle, and fire a wrist shot that found net. I was impressed. He then captained U18 and U20 and has a competitive nature. The biggest knock on him when he was the highest prospect to get passed over the year before was would he leave the KHL.

and then this

“Slepyshev was captain of their world junior team and he’s more skilled than Yakimov,” Howson said. “He’s been in the KHL for two years, but he was pretty frustrated (this past season). We’re not sure of his contract status. We don’t know if it’s run out or if there’s a clause he can come over. We’re looking into it.”

I hope he comes over. He will definitely get more time in OKC and he and bogdan can go through it together.

4. Zangetsu says:

I think we could have got him later in the draft, or we could have taken him 7 round either of the last two years. I’m not too worried about him year to year, since they are such low point totals, and are thus impacted heavily by chance. I don’t know enough about the KHL to say whether he is a player or not.

5. season not played says:

Frankie Musil must have done one heck of a sales job on his boy David because man, the Oil sure passed on some quality players in the second round of the 2011 draft to take him.

season not played:

7. season not played says:

Lowetide: Musil wasn’t involved in the Musil pick. He left the room when they made the decision.

season not played: Wow, did they Oil ever make a stupid pick when they took David Musil because man, they sure did pass on some quality players in the second round of the 2011 draft.

Better. :-)

9. Hammers says:

Players like Musil can take 4-5 years to show there true worth so let’s not sweat it yet .

Hammers:

Five years after draft. That’s the minimum, and we STILL don’t know about Magnum PS and Ranton Blander.

11. sliderule says:

Teams like Wild and Ducks have had a lot of success with their later picks in the Stu era so I don’t know how to explain or sugar coat our lack of success.
    A lot of the AHL and CHL prospects are not progressing that well.I guess if they had kept Reider and his 28 goals to team with Draisaitl it would have looked better.

12. Yak2 says:

season not played,

Musil was a 1st round quality prospect who fell to us at 31st. There’s only 7 guys I would’ve taken other than Musil at the 31st pick.

John Gibson
    Boone Jenner
    Brandon Saad
    Tomas Jurco
    Matt Nieto
    Scott Harrington
    Ty Rattie

sliderule:
    Teams like Wild and Ducks have had a lot of success with their later picks in the Stu era so I don’t know how to explain or sugar coatour lack of success.
    A lot ofthe AHL and CHL prospects are not progressing that well.I guess if they had kept Reider and his 28 goals to team with Draisaitl it would have looked better.

Part of the problem is that the 2007 draft was a major dud, and 2008 didn’t offer any 2nd or 3rd round selections. I think it’s completely fair to be critical of the 2009 draft.

14. season not played says:

Yak2,

Gibson, Jenner and Saad are particularly maddening. I realize that you can never have enough LHS defencemen,especially ones that can’t skate. I just wonder sometimes if this team could have used a potential elite goalie prospect, a big two way center or a heavy power winger with speed and skill.