WHAT’S BEYOND BOLD?

In a conversation this morning on the Lowdown, Travis Yost and I discussed a suggestion sent in to TSN 1260 from RCN: “would you do #3 and Gagner for #8 and Phaneuf?” I handled it with my usual aplomb (“I don’t know. Hmmmm. Ummmm”) and then threw Yost under the bus and he talked me into it (weak, weak human am I).

Yost’s argument was “for crying out loud, you have to DO something to improve this damn team” and I added that getting a veteran like Phaneuf without giving up a young defender was a good thing.

Would you do?

THE BLUE

• Marincin-Phaneuf
  • Klefbom-Petry
  • Ference-Schultz

or

• Phaneuf-Schultz
  • Marincin-Petry
  • Ference-Klefbom

I really like the veteran presence of Phaneuf, and even better would be the addition of another veteran like Markov but let’s not use all the opium this early in the offseason. Do you like this? Let’s run the  Phaneuf Vollman before Carlyle.

phaneuf vollman 11-12 sledgeahammerClick to enlarge (that’s what she said) and this is Corsi On for the bubble. This is Phaneuf in 2011-12, playing the toughs, with a better offensive zone start than this past season (but still the toughest) and most importantly there’s a healthy Carl Gunnarsson with him. I think this is the guy Edmonton would be trading for, and they get rid of Gagner’s $4.8 million (while taking on 7 large from Double Dion Kablammo).

I like the idea of Phaneuf as an Oiler, not gonna lie. And this isn’t new, I’ve mentioned this multiple times. So, fair warning. We’ll be talking Dion Bam Slam Shang-a-lang Balls Out Pow! Ka-bong! Pie-rre! until he ends up on the coast.

WHAT’S AT NUMBER EIGHT?

9. L William Nylander
  10. L Jake Virtanen
  11. C Robby Fabbri
  12. D Julius Honka
  13. L Brenan Perlini
  14. D Haydn Fleury

The “window of opportunity is in bold and underlined. Your mileage may vary. So, if we apply this list to the trade, it might be Sam Gagner and Sam Reinhart for Dion Phaneuf and Kasperi Kapanen.

Would you do it?

111 Responses to "WHAT’S BEYOND BOLD?"

1. Manitoba Oilers says:

I keep the pick and select Bennet Ekblad or Reinhart at 3

2. knighttown says:

I would LT.

I sometimes try and work the other way. Let’s pretend we had Phaneuf already. He’d be playing against the other teams best, #1 Pk, #2 PP and 23+ a night. Would we consider trading him and the #8 for the #3 and Gagner?

Probably we wouldn’t because how do you replace that? I kind of look at him as irreplaceable but with the slight problem being that we don’t have him yet. Go get him.

3. commonfan14 says:

Correction:

Sam Gagner and Sam Reinhart for Dion Phaneuf, Kasperi Kapanen and Elisha Cuthbert.

4. Rondo says:

Not the best way to look at this but, that trade makes Oilers instantly better next year, However, I wonder about the 2015 draft and if it is as strong as they say then I think you need to factor that in.

No one likes losing but your trade does not make them a playoff team. How many good years does Phaneuf have?

5. Marcus Oilerius says:

Can we find a way for Toronto to eat Ference’s contract while they’re at it?

He’s got plenty of character and grit and intangibles. Less so in the way of tangibles, but that’s their style, right? :o

commonfan14:
    Correction:

This is the play here. Absolutely the right call.

7. matt says:

I would do it. I would also be sending love notes to the wives of Stastny and Goc. Something to the effect of: “Your kids will have an extra $5M in the bank if you suck up winters in Edmonton.* Your family can do a lot with that extra money alone. Also, here are the things the Oilers organization will do to distract your family from the unpleasant parts of winters in Edmonton**…”

*Relative to any other bidding destination, over the life of the contract.
    **Ignoring the fact that the Katz answer is to spend $20M on a Vancouver penthouse.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

lowetide: Would you do?
    Marincin-Phaneuf
    Klefbom-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    or
    Phaneuf-Schultz
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Klefbom

how about:

Fayne-Phaneuf
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

there’s still all those UFAs to look at (Fayne, Niskanen, Quincey, Hainsey, Gilbert). they don’t cost a defensive asset either

or:

Kulikov-Phaneuf
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

9. LostBoy says:

If there’s a viable plan in place for a functional 2C, then maybe. I don’t think i can answer this one until there is some idea of how C depth is going to be addressed. A C depth chart of Nuge, Gordon, Arcobello, and Lander would be as big a problem as this past season’s D. This deal flushes what passes for our 2C and flushes any solid shot at a blue chip future replacement.

10. Ducey says:

Its a tough one.

You fill the 1D spot with an adequate but expensive facsimile, and shore up the D for a few years until Dion turns into a boat anchor.

I’d make the trade if Ekblad and Bennett come off the board. Otherwise I would not make that trade.

If I did not make the trade, I then take the 7 x $7 million and try and land a big fish D man in free agency. Niskanen, Nikitan or Fayne would come cheaper than that.

“Fayne” + Ekblad/ Bennett > Dion + #8, but its close.

11. LostBoy says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Can we find a way for Toronto to eat Ference’s contract while they’re at it?

He’s got plenty of character and grit and intangibles.Less so in the way of tangibles, but that’s their style, right?

Ference would accept a trade to Toronto because why again?

Romulus Apotheosis: how about:

Fayne-Phaneuf
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

or:

Kulikov-Phaneuf
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

That Kulikov lineup is very nice.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If I’m picking at 8, I’d piss everyone off, because you couldn’t stop me from picking Barbashev, who will probably go around 12-14.

But Kapanen or Fabbri or Nylander are all nice pieces.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: That Kulikov lineup is very nice.

it’s got fancy fantasies written all over it.

should we start asking what TOR might want in return?

do they value the top 3 of the draft? do we know much about this? how about Gagner? do they have a read on him that we know of?

15. nycoil says:

I’d take it one step further if I could:
    #3 + Gagner for Phaneuf + #8

Then, #8, 2015 1st + one of Gernat/Musil to Florida for #1 and Kulikov

Kulikov-Phaneuf
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

Eventually Ference and Phaneuf can move on as Nurse, Klefbom push their way up. You can always trade Double Dion again down the road.

Cost is a potential MdDavid/Eichel lottery ticket, but I’m still going after a Stastny, a Winnik, a Pouliot to fill in the forward lines. I’m taking Bennett (sorry Rom, and sending him back to junior).

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Stastny-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Winnik-Pouliot
    Arcobello-Lander-Hendricks

The year after, Bennett, Klefbom, Nurse join.
    Too bold?

16. PDO says:

Rondo:
    Not the best way to look at this but, that trade makes Oilers instantly better next year,However, I wonder about the 2015 draft and if it is as strong as they saythen I think you need to factor that in.

No one likes losing but your trade does not make them a playoff team. How many good years doesPhaneuf have?

If MacT takes care of business and Eakins learns from his mistakes, there’s no reason the Oiler’s cannot be third best in their division behind SJS and LAK.

17. LostBoy says:

nycoil,

It’s a lovely story, but obviously it depends on Florida betting on 2015 1st having extreme value while we go all bold in an attempt to make it have much less value. Both of these things can’t be true. Then again, maybe it’s not that hard to convince suitors that Edmonton won’t be able to find its ass with both hands as usual in 2014-2015, no matter who you add.

If one somehow knew Stastny was going to come to market and for some reason would consider signing with Edmonton, I’d do the Phaneuf deal, even with the fierce Phaneuf-Stastny cap hit that would be necessary.

18. blainer says:

I would not trade the number three pick or exchange it for Phaneuf. I would be very worried about his possession numbers in our division. Don’t forget he has been playing in the East. I always worry when a player of Dion’s caliber is being traded or shopped for a third time… what is the problem with him. Can someone explain why he is being shopped again. To me there are red flags everywhere with this player. Not to mention that contract is very scary. We could have a Clarkson on our hands. Risk reward I guess.

19. gr8one says:

No, No, No.

IMHO we need to ADD centers more than we need D. We have D in the pipeline, we are sorely lacking at high end C depth.

I’d way rather have Bennett, Reinhart, Draisatl(in that order) and find a way to add D some other way. Like add a stop gap like Markov and/or Ehrhoff.

I say draft one of the C’s and use Eberle as trade bait to bring in the big fish we need on D and then move Gags to Eberle’s wing. If Gag’s could bring even 80% of what Eb’s does, plus we strengthen our C depth, plus add a top defender we’d be way ahead.

I love Eb’s, but with his salary going forward it makes way more sense to sell high(relatively) on him than sell horrifically low of Gagner, to me that’s way better roster management.

I’d be more inclined to try and target the Senators with a big offer. Spezza/Cowan perhaps and go batshit crazy on UFA’s. If we could somehow use a combination of Eberle, Gagner, Gernat, 2015 first rounder to acquire some players like Spezza, Ehrhoff and Cowan and then target some players like Michalek(Milan), Kulemin, Winnik, Goc.

Hall Spezza Perron
    Michalek Nuge Yakupov
    Winnik Goc Kulemin
    Lander, Gordon, Arco, Larsson, Hendricks, Gazdic, Bennett/Draisatl

Ehrhoff Petry
    Cowan Schultz
    Ference Marincin

Send Nurse and Draisatl/Bennett back to junior after their nine games and use Klef as the first callup.

Of course we won’t get all those players but that’s at least the direction I’m hoping this team steers towards.

20. prairieschooner says:

As mentioned on the show top caliber d men do not come available very often and the Oilers may have to up the ante to make the deal happen. If we could send some cap hit back as well as Gagner.
    Would the deal be good for Toronto ?

21. B.C.B says:

I have to say, I think the third overall pick is worth Dion and number eight overall (with out Gagner). I think that is the price of a top 3 pick: a good, with one flaw, real NHL veteran and a top ten pick. For Dion his flaw is money ’cause he is a good top pairing defenseman but he is paid like an elite top pairing defenseman.

22. blainer says:

I wonder if Toronto is seeing something in Phaneuf like San Jose did with Heatley. San Jose dumped Heatley in the nick of time and got a great player in return. Minni got heatley the seond time he was traded and look at him now…washed up. Dion Phaneuf ‘s second trade…Buyer Beware.. If we trade for him …due diligence please.

23. russ99 says:

If we can also get the rights to Kulemin and a signing window to sign him before UFA, I’d do it, and throw in a D-kid (Not Marincin, Klef or Nurse) to even it out.

24. Mr DeBakey says:

Hey
    Wait a minute!
    That’s my suggestion from the bottom of the Phanoof thread.
    Only i didn’t say Gagner because I assumed Carlyle would nix him
    But now that Carlyle has less power….

25. Rondo says:

blainer,

Agree

1) We don’t know if the Leafs/Burke agreed to honour Phaneuf’s full NMC till July 1 to get him to accept the trade from Calgary in the first place.

The Oilers are unlikely to be on his list of teams for his limited no trade clause which starts July 1.

2) Ference has a full NMC. The Oilers are stuck with him.

3) I can’t think of a trade scenario for Phaneuf that I like. I would want to see who is on the board at #3. I think I want whoever this there. I wouldn’t do it. San Jose or Colorado will offer a far better deal anyways.

4) If the OIlers did work a trade, I like

Ference with Phaneuf, Marincin with Petry, and Klefbom with Schultz.

27. Melman says:

Lowetide: That Kulikov lineup is very nice.

Or would you rather keep your #3 and give Markov $7M for 2 (or max. 3years) and use Gagner as a piece to try and get Kulikov, or Gags + to get your 2C. Then you aren’t crying over Neon Dion eating $7M in cap space for years 4, 5 , 6 & 7

28. LostBoy says:

blainer:

Minnesota got Heatley the third time he was traded, for what it’s worth. ATL-OTT, OTT-SJS, SJS-MIN.

29. nycoil says:

The way I look at it, why can’t we treat Phaneuf as a 2-year rental? If the price isn’t prohibitive in acquiring him, he can be that stop-gap until the cavalry or Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Schultz, Simpson, Gernat, Musil, possibly Ekblad arrive as legit NHL players?

By the way, I hate Phaneuf. To be honest, I don’t want him anywhere near the Oilers. But that’s just personal feeling and irrational if there is a chance to buy low on a misused/misunderstood asset.

I still prefer signing Markov and Niskanen instead. But if bold needs to happen, this doesn’t mean we need to mess with the core, the plan, or that it locks us in for the full 7 years.

30. anonymous says:

A million times no, Phaneuf looks slow and out of place in the east. In the west he’ll be exposed. Gagner straight up maybe, likely still will come to regret it.

31. Zangetsu says:

That’s filling a hole by digging another. We need that top pick to address our centre depth, unless you’re foolish enough to think stastny is coming here.

I would also want TO to retain at least 3 mil in salary. That contract will look terrible in three years, mark my word. I just think the timeline isn’t right for phaneuf. The oilers may be legit contenders when Hall is 25 and at the height of his career, so that’s three years. At that point in time phaneuf will likely be a second pairing dman, and at 7million will hurt the team. Even if you assume toronto takes half the salary, who knows how useful phaneuf will be. Over thirty dmen decline fast, ask Nick Shultz. We don’t need a dman on the back nine when we finally start to compete.

I would agree that we need a number one dman, but I don’t think the time is right yet. Unless we are looking at someone young (25 or less), we should wait until we are on the cusp contending to make this move. If in three years, we have several of the blue prospects looking like players, we might be able to roll with them or at the very least their trade value will be higher.

For now let’s just find stopgaps, and let the kids grow.

32. Zangetsu says:

nycoil,

Because what are the chances another team wants a 31 year old 7million dollar second pairing dman.

nycoil:
    The way I look at it, why can’t we treat Phaneuf as a 2-year rental?

Because Phaneuf has a 7-year $7 million per season limited no-trade contract.

He had an awful last month to the season. I wouldn’t be opposed to Phaneuf necessarily. But he is not a rental. He is a commitment. He would be a very good veteran partner for Ference.

Marincin/Petry and Ference/Phaneuf would be two strong 2nd pairing combinations.

34. Zangetsu says:

gr8one,

Eberle was 30th in points last year. Look at the players around him, and you’ll find his contract is in the range. He’s 23 and his all around game will round out. If you trade him for something better thats fine, but there is no “we have to move him before his contract bites us in the ass,” with eberle.

35. borisnikov says:

I’d much rather target a guy like Byfuglien or even Bieksa. I think Phaneuf is trouble, contract wise and degrading game wise. A 103 PDO, horrible shot differentials and not that great of an offensive season for 7 x 7. Trouble.

Here is the extra skater comp from 11-12 for the 3 of them.

Also if anyone cares to read. My Eberle piece from today.

36. blainer says:

LostBoy,

Thanks for that. Forgot about Atlanta. Just goes to show where we will be if we have to try and trade Phaneuf again. I really don’t want Phaneuf but will say the leafs fans on leafs Nation seem to think he is worth Eberle + + . And I thought we over valued our players.

37. Racki says:

gr8one:
    No, No, No.

IMHO we need to ADD centers more than we need D. We have D in the pipeline, we are sorely lacking athigh end C depth.

Disagreeing with this…

D is the most important position on any hockey team, IMHO, and by a fair bit. C is quite important too, but for me, we want guys who we already know can play D, not guys who are years off, or maybes. Now Phaneuf might not be the best option at D (well, he definitely isn’t, but he might be the best within reach), but he’s still an NHL d-man by a mile and brings a mix of skills that this team definitely needs. He also is a top pair d-man (in my opinion anyways) whereas the Oilers haven’t got a single D-man on the team that is a top pairing d-man… yet. They will get there.. someone will. But the Oilers need someone who can allow the Oilers to shelter these guys while they develop.

A centreman would be great as well too, but I don’t think we’re talking about the same top quality of centres we’re using to foaming at the mouth, like even the recent Nate MacKinnon.

I think both positions are damn near hard to get outside of the draft (at least guys with the high end talent, size, etc), so I think if you can make a big jump defensively like this now without losing a tonne of ground in the draft… I’d definitely do it.

I do think Gagner will be a hell of a player out east though, so we’ll be sure to have people look back and say “I can’t believe we gave that guy up! I knew that was a bad idea..”.

But yah, I’d sooner go with the sure bet D-man that we know what we’ll get (and while he has his warts, I think what you get is quite a good all around blueliner).

Phaneuf MAYBE isn’t the right guy here, but I’d have no problems moving Gagner and the 3rd overall for a top pairing, well rounded d-man even if we didn’t get a 1st back.

38. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,
    Fayne-Phaneuf
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    or:
    Kulikov-Phaneuf
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Schultz

Nice.

You could also swap in Hainsey for Kulikov and still have a pretty nice d corps.

39. Racki says:

If the Oilers made the trade above, what about Virtanen at #8? 45 goals as a 17 year old.. (6th in the Dub). Not too shabby at all. Damn good size too. Left winger, but there will come a time where a left wing will be needed here. Can’t always go for immediate need.

40. blainer says:

Still would like to know why Toronto is shopping him first. If he is that good why don’t they keep him?

41. gcw_rocks says:

If the are picking 8th, I think they take Virtanen. Give him another year in junior and then if he is rocking you trade Perron to fill a hole and let Virtanen be the big body in the top six.

42. nycoil says:

blainer,

Epic collapse late in the season, and he disappeared from media availability rather than turn up, etc. He took a lot of heat as a captain not facing the music.

43. HiddenDarts says:

Said it before and I’ll say it again… what if Eakins IS Carlyle? They’re from the same organization, using a similar system, and Carlyle is Eakins’ “biggest influence”.

If that’s the case, you can’t get all wishy-washy and use the Phaneuf before graph.

That would be cheating.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

borisnikov: Here is the extra skater comp from 11-12 for the 3 of them.

45. nycoil says:

Zangetsu:
    nycoil,

godot10: Because Phaneuf has a 7-year $7 million per season limited no-trade contract.

He had an awful last month to the season.I wouldn’t be opposed to Phaneuf necessarily.But he is not a rental.He is a commitment. He would be a very good veteran partner for Ference.

Certainly agree with you both if he is 2nd pairing at that point. I was working off the assumption that he would still be top pair for us, play some primo PP minutes, and restore a bit of value for himself as the team finally gets to where it competes for a playoff spot.

If he is going to be a 2nd pairing D-man making $7m, that’s obviously going to be a disaster.

I thought the chatter from Kypreos is that the Leafs were going to eat some salary? If they aren’t, that changes things and I want to revert back to my original stance of: DO NOT WANT. Sign 2 of Hainsey/Niskanen/Markov/Nikitin instead.

46. HiddenDarts says:

nycoil:

No options, then, as far as I know about the CBA.

HiddenDarts: I don’t think the Leafs CAN eat any salary. They’ve already done so! Once with Frattin, and once with Scrivens.

No options, then, as far as I know about the CBA.

Both of those contracts expire this summer.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

No options, then, as far as I know about the CBA.

that can’t be right.

You can only eat salary twice, ever?

More likely, you can only have two contracts at any given time. both end this year:

blainer:

Word is that Phaneuf asked for a trade when they extended Carlyle.

Kypreos is plugged in with player agents and this is coming from Newport Sports, who represent Phaneuf.

Dreger, who is Nonis’ cousin and mouth piece vehemently states they are not shopping him.

Lots and lots of smoke about calls being made though.

This is about Phaneuf wanting out, not TOR wanting him gone.

Romulus Apotheosis: that can’t be right.

You can only eat salary twice, ever?

Gimme a minute and I’ll dig it up.

51. John Chambers says:

The Oilers simply cannot afford to NOT make at least a couple of bold moves like this.

A vet like Phaneuf is absolutely essential to help develop our young D. Trade for Buff or sign Markov while you’re at it too, please.

After years of getting pushed around, having some big bodies including Klef, Marincin, and soon Nurse will all of a sudden make this a tough team to cycle and create offense against.

The corgis will bark. Yes, those corgis will bark loudly.

52. RexLibris says:

So the Penguins are out in the 2nd round.

Hmm, let me consult my SHN manual. What? You don’t have one of these? Stands for Standard Hyperbolic Narrative and it is priceless.

Okay, let me check here…

Need to change captains…current one doesn’t have heart…Nope, he’s Canadian and does Tim Hortons ads so that doesn’t apply. Um, trade Malkin for Backes…soft Russian disappears in the playoffs when it really counts…yeah, that might work. Buyout the flaky French-Canadian goalie…maybe, rings with francophobia but hidden under business motives…AH! Here it is. Fire the coach! Yep, that’s the one. Sub-themes are “things need to change”, “team needs makeover”, and “move in a different direction”.

I’ll look for that tomorrow from the talking heads.

Yes, its 3 contracts to a max of 15% of the upper limit.

In the context of Player Trades, participating Clubs will be permitted to allocate the AA and related Salary and Bonus payment obligations between them, subject to specified parameters (“Retained Salary Transaction”). Specifically, the Club trading a Player may agree to retain a percentage of the SPC’s AA and related Salary and Bonus obligations for each of the remaining years of the Player’s SPC, up to 50% of the SPC’s AA.

In each Retained Salary Transaction, the percentage allocation of the retained AA and retained Salary and Bonuses must be the same (i.e., the Salary and Bonus obligations as between Clubs would be allocated on the same percentage basis as the AA being allocated) and cannot be altered from year to year.

So, for instance, if an assigning Club agrees to retain 30% of an SPC’s AA over the balance of its term, it will also retain an obligation to reimburse the acquiring Club 30% of the Player’s contractual compensation (Salary and Bonuses) in each of the remaining years of the contract. A Club may have up to a maximum of three (3) SPCs on its Cap per League Year as to which a portion of the AA and Salary have been retained in a Player Trade, provided, however, that the aggregate amount of AA retained by a Club does not exceed 15% of the Upper Limit (e.g., 15% of $70.2 million or $10.53 million in Year 1; 15% of $64.3 million or $9.645 million in Year 2; or $12 million if the Upper Limit equals $80.0 million) in the aggregate for all such contracts in any one year.

An SPC can be subject to a Retained Salary Transaction up to a maximum of two (2) times.
    The NHL shall promptly disclose the amount of Retained Salary and Bonus obligations in every
    Retained Salary Transaction to the NHLPA.

In the case of one or more Retained Salary Transactions, and a subsequent SPC “buy-out” or
    termination such that the SPC is no longer in force, the resulting cash and cap consequences will
    be divided as between the Club parties to the prior transaction(s) on the same basis they originally
    agreed upon. In the case of one or more Retained Salary Transactions, and a subsequent Loan of
    the SPC, the prior Club(s) shall retain their portion of the SPC’s NHL cap charge that they agreed to retain for the balance of the Player’s contract (regardless of whether the Player is ever recalled), but will get the benefit of any reduced cash obligations to the Player during the time he is playing
    outside the League.

The Player shall be paid by the Club for which he currently plays (or most recently played for).

54. VanOil says:

I can not endorse a move to acquire Phaneuf.

The Dion that earned a $7 million per yer contract would be a great fit on the Oilers. The Dion who currently gets paid $7 million per year is not that Dion.

Sure Dion has been Carlyled and sure he is young enough to recover. I have seen no compelling proof that Eakins is a more capable defensive coach than Carlyle.

Which ever player you chose at #3 overall he is capable of being a #2 Center of the future at a minimum. To give up both our current #2 Center and a future #2 Center for a no longer #1 D seems folly. Yes the hole at D is deep but the hole at C is more than a shallow grave as well.

55. borisnikov says:

Romulus Apotheosis: how are you creating your own lists with extraskater? are you just doing it manually in the url?

When you view a player on his own, there’s a little compare button just below their name. Once there you can add as many guys as you want, a name at a time, for any seasons that are available and whatever game situation.

56. blainer says:

Woodguy: Word is that Phaneuf asked for a trade when they extended Carlyle.

Lots and lots of smoke about calls being made though.

This is about Phaneuf wanting out, not TOR wanting him gone.

Thanks. Was just wondering why and that makes perfect sense. Seems odd though as he was getting lots of ice time. Maybe a philosophical difference. I still really like to keep our third pick though.

57. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: My hazy memory tells me the limit is 3 contracts and X% of your cap being retained money.

Gimme a minute and I’ll dig it up.

I believe you are correct in that it is capped at a number of contracts and total cap amount until the contract expires. The Oilers are a current example in retaining salary on Hemsky, Dubnyk and N. Schultz.

At the end of the season all those come off the books and they could presumably then retain salary on other contracts. For the Leafs, their total retained salary in real numbers is minimal $499,000, and all comes off the books this July.

Here’s the capgeek retained salary info: RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS

Teams can retain a percentage of a contract’s remaining cap hit, salary and bonuses in trades. The following stipulations apply:

No more than 50 per cent of the salary/cap hit can be retained
    Salary/cap hit cannot be retained on more than three contracts in one season
    The aggregate cap hits retained cannot exceed 15 per cent of the upper limit
    A contract can be traded only twice where salary/cap hit is retained

link: http://www.capgeek.com/faq/new-cba

scroll to bottom

But….I see you’ve already got it. Damned slow fingers. And straight from the source too. Nice work.

58. RexLibris says:

So the Eskimos trade down and get Bailey (R, 6’5″, 202lbs) and the Stampeders trade up and get both Lavertu and Smith.

Hufnagel really ticks me off.

John Chambers:

Ditto Bryan Campbell.

60. John Chambers says:

VanOil,

I realize you probably lose the trade if Bennett turns into Toews, but I also think the chances of that actually happening are quite slim, and having that #3 overall pick make an impact any time over the next few years is virtually impossible.
    There are 3 wins here:
    1) Dion Kablammo
    2) walk away from the draft with Ritchie or Virtanen (not too shabby)
    3) getting rid of the Gagner contract …

… All for missing out on the upside of what the 18 yo kid could be.

It’s been 8 years man, we need to shake it up.

RexLibris:

Hufnagel really ticks me off.

The only way the Eskimos day makes any sense is if the Olineman they got in the trade is a beauty.

62. John Chambers says:

godot10,

Indeed there are a few options. Green doesn’t seem to excel at anything but the power play – I think he’s more of an expensive Jultz. Campbell’s a nice player, ditto Ehrhoff, Markov, Byfuglien,Coburn, hell I’ll even be satisfied with an offseason where we add Niskanen and Fayne.

Just push Jultz and the rest down the lineup or get ready for a full season of McDavid chatter.

63. Dicky94 says:

I would make that trade if Toronto keeps 1 million of Dion’s salary. Then move that pick and some prospects for a decent second line centre.

64. nycoil says:

65. Zangetsu says:

I’ve been watching coombs for awhile. He is a really good tailback. I hate watching the cfl draft though. The idea of well he might be good enough to go to the nfl really ticks me off. Oline is the most important position on offense though, and from the sound of it the ones at the top were studs (I know canada west well, not so much oua quebec and atlantic). Goddamn if we could have just given ray an oline for years. Worst trade ever!!!

66. VanOil says:

John Chambers

I am less concerned about what the drafted kid could be than I am about what Dion currently is. From Dion’s last year in Calgary on he has had a reputation that out stripped his ability. I do not have faith that Eakins is the coach that can return him to form.

I am not opposed to trading this years pick or next years to acquire a #1 D man. I would just not do that trade for Dion.

67. rickithebear says:

Eberle goes to the net at a better rate than Simmonds and was 14th for even Goals over the last 3 years.

I want a tough scorer.

Quit trying to F………. trade him!

68. HiddenDarts says:

Wow. So it’s 3 contracts PER year? Crazy! I just thought it was a one time CBA thing to help with the lowered cap.

69. flyfish1168 says:

Why should be solve Toronto or Ottawa’s problems by taking their over rated players. If they are such functional players on their respective teams they would not want to be traded or be ask to leave town. We need to be patient. yes maybe two more years but lets not use short term gains for long term pain. Paying $1.50 for these losers is not what we need in our dressing room culture.

70. hags9k says:

No way I make that deal. Take BPA at 3. Stay the course. The goal has to be perennial contender, not make the playoffs as soon as possible. We have been through hell, if el Kablamo and a one and done playoff team is all we get from it, I’ll cry real tears.

71. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Rex

This is the Eskimos.

They selected Warren Kean 2nd overall and then cut him a few months later.

On a day when we’ve been discussing Stu MacGregor, I think we should also hold the professional football team to account on their recent record.

I still hold out hope that Sean Fleming becomes CEO at some point. Smart guy, knows the game and business to boot.

See what I did there.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Try the veal.

72. spoiler says:

Woodguy: This is about Phaneuf wanting out, not TOR wanting him gone.

73. spoiler says:

nycoil: As an aside, if you want to see an example of overvaluing truculence and undervaluing draft pedigree in the face of early struggles as a pro, look no further than Nino Niederreiter for the Wild. It is mind-boggling Garth Snow still has a job after trading him for Clutterbuck and the Vanek fiasco.I hope MacT is watching and doesn’t send Yak away for Simmonds (and Simmonds is a much better player than Clutterbuck!)

74. Gerta Rauss says:

HiddenDarts:

I think it’s 3 contracts at a time…as the contracts expire they drop off(like all 3 of the Oilers retained salary transactions this year)

If the contract has multiple years on it(like Phaneuf), Toronto would have to retain salary for every year remaining on the deal. I’m not sure if that can be negotiated…ie: Toronto would retain salary for the first 4 years, and Edm would pay 100% of the salary and cap for the last 3 years. If that flexibilty isn’t in the CBA, it should be.

75. spoiler says:

godot10: Mike Green might be a better less risky and easier to acquire alternative to Phaneuf.

Easier yeah, less risky is a difficult case to make. And that’s why easier.

76. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m not sure if I’d move 3 and Gagner for 8 and Ugly

I’d be tempted

BCB made a good point…moving from 8 to 3 should come at a premium…Phaneuf and his $7M covers that cost. We can move Gagner in another deal.

And it depends who is available at 3…I would wait until the first 2 picks are made…I agree with Ducey that if Bennett or Ekblad are there at 3 I probably make the pick.

77. Marcus Oilerius says:

Clutch Kane Carries Chicago’s Champions.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: Which is why there’s no way in Gord’s green ass that Edmonton is the destination.

it got a little confusing the other day… suddenly Dion had clauses in his final two years on cap geek and then they said they were voided with the trade from Calgary and updated their listing:

so it looks like, barring some kind of gentlemen’s agreement, the leafs are free to trade him anywhere.

If the player asks for a trade, they can choose not to oblige; oblige and cut their market short to suit the player; or, oblige and target the open market.

1 and 3 look like the best options for Toronto.

79. Caramel Obvious says:

That’s a bad deal. The Oilers don’t have enough young talent right now to compete in the next few years with Minnesota and Anaheim*. They need to keep stockpiling young talent. This team isn’t going to make the playoffs next year no matter what they do.

If you were to do this type of deal the guy to target is Byfuglien. He’s much better than Phaneuf.

*This team has gotten nothing almost nothing out of the draft and college free agents for the past five years in comparison to the good teams. Until that changes they are doomed. Trading first round picks isn’t going to help.

80. Gerta Rauss says:

Ducey: But then there is a massive hole at 2C with only little Arco to fill it, and he has less backup than Magnum PI.

TC and Rick get no respect on this blog

81. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis: it got a little confusing the other day… suddenly Dion had clauses in his final two years on cap geek and then they said they were voided with the trade from Calgary and updated their listing

82. rickithebear says:

Jake vertanen Aug 1996 means .75% of production at 22.
    Vertanen 30EVG and 17EVA.
    Rhinehardt 17EVG 29EVA
    Draisaitl 17EVG 27 EVA

Is vitanen available at 8.

83. nycoil says:

spoiler: Nino has no truculence? What a series he had. Coyle looked good too, but Nino looked great. Snow needs to be phoned daily by MacT. Maybe hourly.

Of course he does. Love the power games of Coyle and Nino. However, who the heck gives up on Nino so early? It was because Snow overvalued Clutterbuck’s agitation game.

And yes, MacT should be calling Snow. I’ve been saying since the time of the Smid trade you have to be calling Snow. Snow was all in on Vanek and was desperate for a Dman at the time. I would have offered him Smid for Reinhart or Strome and seen what the response was. Honestly, Snow might have been crazy enough to bite at the time.

I’d still be calling him in case he is desperate to improve his team given they will likely be on the hook to Buffalo next year and don’t want to hand them McDavid.

As soon as Wang sells the team Snow will be as good as gone. So time is running out.

84. nycoil says:

With TSN talking about a potential shakeup in Pittsburgh how about we go for Letang instead? Doctors say his chances for another stroke are remote. They want wingers for Crosby. Crosby reportedly likes Gagner?

Letang, when healthy, is better than Phaneuf, no?
    However his cap hit is higher.

If Pittsburgh offered their 1st and Letang ($1.5m retained) for Gagner and our 1st would you take it? Too much risk still? What if we asked them to throw in Derrick Pouliot for a 3rd? (Assuming Maatta is a pipe dream without Yak being involved)

85. Racki says:

nycoil:

Letang, when healthy, is better than Phaneuf, no?
    However his cap hit is higher.

If Pittsburgh offered their 1st and Letang ($1.5m retained) for Gagner and our 1st would you take it? Too much risk still? What if we asked them to throw in DerrickPouliot for a 3rd? (Assuming Maatta is a pipe dream without Yak being involved)

Letang would be nice. He has a modified NTC on his new deal (Which starts July). We know how those go, but it doesn’t kick in until July, so Shero could pull an LA/Visnovsky and trade him before that kicks in. I’m not sure if his current deal has any NMC or NTC though.

This would be a good player to have though, if his health is fine. I would guess that it’s more than likely behind him (the stroke issue).

Letang might be a little underrated on the d-side of things too by the critics. I think Bylsma has really allowed him to free wheel, but I think he’s got the tool box to play a safer game than he does. But that said, when your line is scoring goals in bulk like tends to happen with him out there, I’m not sure how much it really matters if he can cause the odd stinker against too.

Letang plays the right side though, which makes me wonder if you’d want to move a guy like Petry after and also look for a more solid left side option.

As for Derrick Pouliot, you won’t be prying him away from the Pens, especially as a “throw in”. This player is not a throw in.

86. Dicky94 says:

nycoil,

This why we can only hope and pray Reinhart makes it to the Oilers. Snow will get stupid trying to have the two brothers.

87. nycoil says:

Not sure what happened to the post above.
    Wouldn’t Letang being RHD actually be helpful because most of our better D prospects are LHD? Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, Simpson all left, no?

88. Zangetsu says:

Letang has an albatross contract. On top of that, he likely has long lasting issues with his stroke. Slight vision loss, slower mental processing ect. My aunt had a stroke at a young age, and she has trouble remembering words, is slow to think sometimes, and has a blind spot in her vision. She is also supposed to avoid strenuous activity. Letang will likely still lead a good life, but I don’t know that he will ever return to nhl hockey, let alone be an elite dman. I feel for the guy, but to trade for him would be asinine.We have no idea how much he has been affected, and likely he won’t even know until he skates again.

How about we target a young established dman with upside, say Pysyk, Myers, Kulikov, ect. We can run defence by committee until one of the prospects arrives as a legit first pairing guy.

89. nycoil says:

Zangetsu,

Until he skates again?
    He looked pretty good this series. One of the Pens’ few bright spots. Doctors have also said he is fully recovered and unlikely to lapse again.

I’m sorry about your aunt.

90. Traktor says:

Nope.

Traktor:
    Nope.

Nice to hear from you, Traktor.

92. Genjutsu says:

I’m on board with Double Dion I think he could be a real big boost to the team and has enough term and the perception of over pay that we could possibly extract value for once.

1: It may not happen this summer, Mac T might do well to low ball Nonis and wait for Gags to recover some value.

2: The price should be in range with what the leafs paid but lower. No Fab Five (Hall Nuge Ebs Yak Schultz) no Marincin Petry Klef or the first. Gags, cap relief and parts picks and prospects.

I feel the rush to improve shouldn’t be too drastic.

I count CHI LAK ANA STL SJS as well clear of us next year and dog fight for the remaining 3 spots that include some very good teams.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

rickithebear:
    Jake vertanen Aug 1996 means .75% of production at 22.
    Vertanen 30EVG and 17EVA.
    Rhinehardt 17EVG 29EVA
    Draisaitl 17EVG 27 EVA

Is vitanen available at 8.

You got Draisaitl right and all the other ones wrong. Seems about right.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss: Yes, you’re right. The clauses were there for a brief time, but they are no longer on the site. Huh..my comment still stands though, I’d want some kind of assurance that Phaneuf would want to play here, although if he has asked out of Toronto, that changes everything.

I completely agree that you’d want to get some sense of whether the player will be happy here, or at least whether you can coax him into it over time… but ultimately, it’s not his choice and once the deal is done, he’d face immense pressure from the media for demanding a trade and then being a baby about it.

95. wintoon says:

Any plan which includes giving up the #3 draft pick would be a mistake unless it included the return of an elite player (Centre or D Man). Phaneuf is a solid first pairing D Man but he is definitley not an elite player. He has warts on the ice and has serious baggage off the ice.

The Oilers would be much better off to draft the Centre or D Man of their choice and fill the D needs via judicious use of trades or UFA signings. With the upcoming talent they have with Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse and Simpson I would prefer that they use the #3 to fill the need for a top six Centre.

Oiler fans have demonstarted unbelievable patience through this re-build. Now is not the time to jeopardize that with impatience. Acquiring Phaneuf for their #3 would be an impatient move not a prudent one.

96. nycoil says:

I couldn’t find his Vollman sledgehammer. Perhaps someone can help?http://www.extraskater.com/player/22/kris-letang
    “0.01% chance of another stroke”
    $7.25M for 8 years (ages 27-35)
    2013 Norris finalist
    Limited NMC to 12 teams kicks in July 1.
    Pittsburgh talking major shakeup.

Risky to acquire? The perception is certainly that way. But if the due diligence says otherwise then it could be a nice chance to buy low on a top pair RHD. We have some intriguing pieces at W for Pittsburgh (Perron or Gagner). We may not even have to discuss the swap of draft picks given the perception of risk, his high cap hit and we are in the west and nonthreatening to the Pens. Gagner + Petry enough?

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nycoil: I couldn’t find his Vollman sledgehammer. Perhaps someone can help?

sledgehammer is LT’s nick name.

if you just google “vollman usage charts” you’ll get the link ok

98. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thanks! I knew it was LT’s name for it, but I was googling “Letang Vollman” and coming up empty. Thanks for the link. That doesn’t paint a pretty picture for this year. Orange bubble with o-zone starts galore.
    In the years prior, he is a nice blue with less of a zone push, however.

99. fuzzy muppet says:

Hell, lets aim higher. Something’s broken in Pittsburgh

#3 OV, 2015 1st rounder, Gagner, Klefbom, and prospect for Malkin.

Perron-Malkin-Yakupov
    Hall-RNH-Eberle.

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nycoil:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

In the years prior, he is a nice blue with less of a zone push, however.

if you want to see prior years graphed in a usage chart try somekindofninja

101. Marcus Oilerius says:

LostBoy: Ference would accept a trade to Toronto because why again?

“So Captain, today is the 30th game in a row – and 56th, going back to last season – when you’ve been outside by at least 5 or more shots. Over that span you’ve actually been outshot on average by over 10 shots. How do you feel about that?”

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marcus Oilerius: Because otherwise he’s stuck as captain of this sad-sack squad and has to answer to the media for the results on a nightly basis.

He wouldn’t be captain.. but all the other stuff applies to Toronto, except the media is more ravenous and national.

103. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: sledgehammer is LT’s nick name.

Hmm, now I’m picturing LT walking, no, strutting to work with this as his theme song.

104. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That’s fantastic. Thanks a lot.

105. Hall Awaits says:

To me Phaneuf makes us better only until Nurse becomes that guy. And when that happens Phaneuf contract becomes a boat anchor. I’d rather them just sign a Fayne, Boyle or Nikitin on a two year.

Keep the pick . Unless a 22-25 year old stud becomes available.

106. misfit says:

Dicky94:
    nycoil,

The problem is, what do you hope to get from the Islanders that would be better than simply drafting Reinhart ourselves? Reinhart is probably the top player in this draft and would fill a major hole on our roster for years.

107. misfit says:

As for the proposal in the OP, is Toronto retaining any of his salary? Phaneuf is worth the $7M, but retaining some of that money would take the sting out of the term. He’s also worth giving up quality for, but the drop from 3 to 8 is a big one, IMO. None of the names after 5 on your list excite me. Virtanen is interesting, but there’s a very strong chance he’s gone by the 8th pick.

And in the end, we’re filling one hole but making another much bigger. Not only that, but I would say our center depth is a bigger issue than the defense to begin with, and there are more defense options in free agency/trade.

Looking at it in terms of similar drafts (say, 2006) with a clear top 4/5 and a drop off from there, would adding Phaneuf be enough to justify dropping from the Johnson/Toews/Staal/Backstrom tier down to the Meuller/Sheppard/Frolik/Little group? And giving up Gagner too?

108. commonfan14 says:

Zangetsu: He’s 23 and his all around game will round out.

This is a fine point on Eberle, and I also think it’s worth reminding ourselves that Gags is only 9 months older than him. Maybe he’s not yet a guy who needs to be dumped at all cossts?

I know, I know, he didn’t spend and extra two years running and gunning in London and it kept him from getting taller and faster, but maybe just maybe he’s still moderately salvagable and having the same coach in consecutive years for only the second time in his career (the first time being his second year with Renney when he led the team in +/-) will be good for him.

109. Dicky94 says:

misfit,

Strome and Okposo.

110. maudite says:

Late but:

If Dion allows us not to rush a D prospect in over picking say a bennet and not developing him properly (rushed into NHL). Then yes, I do it.

If I thought they could accept their fate. Actually right the course of the ship and not put a single prospect in the lineup without some AHL salting…Then no, I wouldn’t. Until they get that, we stand no real chance of being a consistent playoff contender.

The highway to San Jose/Detroit/Chicago success over the dirt road to Islander style chaos will depend on the next couple years. We blew the tank and get top prospects on the cheap to win the Stanley window (forgot about assembling vets around Hall and Nuge). All that’s left is actually developing a solid organization…