2014 FINAL 31-60 PLUS MCKENZIE’S FINAL

Bob McKenzie will release his final list in a few minutes, this is one of my favorite times of the year. There shouldn’t be any surprises, but this year is kind of a different one, so hold on. I’ll do a 61-90 tomorrow, but wanted to pass along 31-60 before the McKenzie:

• #31 (30) C Jayce HawrylukExceptional young prospect delivers offense (EV: 59GP, 15-29).
  • #32 (35) D Marcus PetterssonTrending defender, tall and thin.
  • #33 (33) G Thatcher DemkoA .935 save percentage is outstanding anywhere.
  • #34 (34) D Jack Glover—Mobile two-way defender with size and passing ability.
  • #35 (30)R Nikolai GoldobinEV totals (67GP, 27-37) quality, one dimensional.
  • #36 (36) D Travis SanheimBig defender with nice skills. Good passer, reliable coverage defender.
  • #37 (41) L Spencer Watson—Pure goal scorer, he’s an impressive skill player.
  • #38 (37) D Jack Dougherty—Two-way defender with impressive wingspan.
  • #39 (38) L Justin Kirkland—Trending player, lots of potential but a definite flier.
  • #40 (39) C Nick SchmaltzCreative center with quick hands.
  • #41 (40) L Brett Pollock—Skill winger can cash, didn’t help his case in playoffs.
  • #42  (42) D Dysin MayoA mobile, creative defenseman who can make plays.
  • #43 (55) L Dexter DancsSleeper power forward.
  • #44 (43) D Josh JacobsSmooth two-way defenseman with size.
  • #45 (44) C Eric Cornell—A quality playmaker, he also has size. A trending player.
  • #46 (45) C Chase De LeoSmall, fast, makes things happen. Famous because Portland Winterhawks.
  • #47 (46) C Brayden Point—Outstanding playmaker, gritty undersized F. NHLE: 82, 12-19-31 on fast gun.
  • #48 (47) L Brendan Lemieux—A chippy bugger, he’ll play as high on the depth chart as his skill allows.
  • #49 (48) L Vladimir Tkachyov—Small, skilled Russian with a ridiculous Q run.
  • #50 (49) C Ryan DonatoTed’s boy, intelligent skill F. Luedeke likes him.
  • #51 (50) G Alex Nedeljkovic—Had a .925 SP in the OHL this season. Solid resume.
  • #52 (NR) C Andrew Mangiapane—Extra Skater superstar, his EV/60 is 3.4 and that’s outstanding.
  • #53 (51) D Brycen MartinBig defender skates well and moves the puck smartly. A safe pick.
  • #54 (52) R Anton Karlsson—Big, strong forward with speed and skill. Enigma. 1st rder on talent alone.
  • #55 (53) L Ryan MacInnis—Lanky winger isn’t strong or fast, but he has talent.
  • #56 (54) R Vaclav Karabacek—Gritty two-way winger with skill.
  • #57 (56) C Daniel Audette—Undersized skill player who will find a way. Underrated.
  • #58 (57) C Nicolas Aube-Kubel—Two-way center, he’s aggressive and is a good skater.
  • #59 (58)  D Jacob MiddletonA nice range of skills, tough season but lots of potential.
  • #60 (59) R Ondrej Kase—Speedy winger with all kinds of skill.

I’ll do 61-90 tomorrow morning.

The McKenzie List is here.

91 Responses to "2014 FINAL 31-60 PLUS MCKENZIE’S FINAL"

1. Gerta Rauss says:

Thanks LT

Do you see anything in that 31-60 that might intrigue MacT…go out of his way to acquire a 2nd round pick..?

2. raventalon40 says:

Greg Chase and Brendan Lemieux on the same line? Oh yeah!

Gerta Rauss:
    Thanks LT

Lots. I really like that kid Dancs, but he’ll probably be around at 90. This isn’t as strong as last season, but there are good players. Goalies should interest EDM.

4. Rondo says:

Gerta Rauss,

Alex Peters

5. Gerta Rauss says:

I was going to mention him just for the name alone…Dexter Dancs…what a hockey name!

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

can anyone find a link for Bob’s big show?

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=95289

thanks!

I meant the video presentation, but this is good too!

wow… spencer watson fell right out of the picture.

8. RexLibris says:

Rondo:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Reinhart’s has much less and Draisaitl’s focuses on his being a sublime passer and seeing the game play out while being able to control the puck and put it into very advantageous spots. Sounds like Joe Thornton.

Oilers could take any one of them and better at the end of the day for it, but based on organizational strengths and needs, I like Draisaitl. It isn’t just Best Player Available, but Best Fit Player Available.

9. PDO says:

Draisalt being #4 is the most predictable thing about this list by far.

He’s a reach at #3.

PDO:
    Draisalt being #4 is the most predictable thing about this list by far.

He’s a reach at #3.

Yeah, I don’t see that. Honestly.

11. PDO says:

Lowetide: Yeah, I don’t see that. Honestly.

I like the kid a lot… I think he has a heckuva career.

But in a year where everyone keeps saying “it’s a four horse group,” and I’m talking about the men and women who do this for a living year in and year out, they all have him at #4 … or lower.

There’s a very clear top 3 that has all kinds of moving parts, and then Draisatl.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

I see the differences between the 3 C’s at the top as being so minuscule, it’s difficult to make an argument either way.

I’m fine with the German at 3

13. blainer says:

RexLibris: Bennett’s report includes the following in quotations: “step up”, “guts of the action”, “difference making”.

I am also hoping for Draisitl..I think we have Bennett already in Chase. Bennett will have to go back to Junior and will arrive to the NHL around the same time as Chase. Most pundits believe Draisitl is NHL ready and that sounds ok to me. Give him a nine game audition with Yak and Winnik.or Moss. If it works ..Great ..if not…send him back..

14. Rondo says:

Bob McKenzie’s final draft

Ekblad had 7, 1st place votes

Reinhart had 1, 1st place votes

Bennett had 2, 1st place votes

15. nycoil says:

Looking at Bobby McKenzie’s list vs. some of the others, it’s as clear as mud after the top 5. Very difficult draft to predict. Would be surprised if no team took a flyer on Fabbri or Ehlers in the top 9.

16. Pouzar says:

Does anybody see Chase as a C in the NHL? I read that he could ultimately be a winger.

17. thejonrmcleod says:

I’ve got my eye on an American D prospect named Johnathan MacLeod.

18. Hammers says:

Rondo: Bob McKenzie’s final draftEkblad had 7, 1st place votesReinhart had 1, 1st place votesBennett had 2, 1st place voteshttp://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=455555

Yea but as he said Reinhart could move to the wing . We need a 2nd line center not a winger . Also he said Leon could make the jump so you gotta figure he gets 9 games at least . I could see Ekblad at #3 especially if Vancouver trades for the #1 . If they get that pick they take Reinhart .

19. Numenius says:

Virtanen was the fastest skater forwards and backwards at the CHL prospects game testing and his 45 goals is more than anyone in the top 10 until Ehlers. I don’t see why Button has him ranked at 43.

Ehlers could be a steal for anyone who’s willing to take a chance on a small player.

20. RexLibris says:

The Oilers need a big, 2C. There is one available in this draft. Only one. Reinhart may thrive on the wing or find a way to be an NHL C. Bennett is a draft-and-follow with significant upside. Ekblad is a man amongst boys in his league and a big, immediate-impact D.

The Oilers are awash in young D, have all the top six wingers they can handle and have been seriously hampered by their lack of a 2C for, well, forever.

Draft Draisaitl. If he makes the team it should be as a winger to Gordon or, fingers crossed, Grabovski. Let him learn the game in a sheltered apprentice role, if you won’t return him to junior.

Had Galchenyuk been healthy his draft year, I think the Oilers might have taken him instead of Yakupov.

This draft they have the chance to make up for that. Just select the kid that best fits your team’s needs, and an NHL need in general (big skilled Cs) and let everything else fall where it may.

21. VanOil says:

RexLibris:

Agreed.

Excited Draisaitl is ranked 4th because it should mean he is available at #3. To me his defining attribute is he is a possession player. I would like the Oilers to possess the puck more.

22. thurmtim says:

23. supernova says:

PDO:
    Draisalt being #4 is the most predictable thing about this list by far.

He’s a reach at #3.

PDO,

How so?

He basically has the same rankings as Barkov last year and Barkov went no.2 and the consensus opinion was that was in his range.

No. 3 is not a reach when he ends up #4 on bobs list.

24. supernova says:

thejonrmcleod:
    I’ve got my eye on an American D prospect named Johnathan MacLeod.

Over hyped that guy!

I kid! I kid!

25. Andy P says:

If Gags at his best or better is not good enough, at 5’11″ and 202 pounds, then We should probably hope that Ekblad or Draisatl are available at #3. 1st choice Draisatl, 2nd choice Ekblad.

My concern with Ekblad is that we have a good pipeline of D prospects on the way, and that D’s are harder to predict than forwards.

My concern with Draisatll is that this fan base tends to label big bodied players who are not face punchers out of town pretty quick. Let alone if they are enigmatic Europeans. I’m hoping those days are over though.

I know the other 2 C’s are talented etc but we do need the size with the skill.

26. blainer says:

supernova,

Ya I wouldn’t be surprised at all if draisatl went number 1 or 2…

PDO: I like the kid a lot… I think he has a heckuva career.

They were also very clear that Larsson might be a better pick than RNH.

That Bogo was the 2nd best Dman in 2008 draft.

That Sam Gagner was better than Logan Couture.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Anyone *positive* of anything on draft day aside from mortal locks believes too much in their own information.

28. PDO says:

supernova: PDO,

How so?

No. 3 is not a reach when he ends up #4 on bobs list.

Guys had Barkov that high though.

Nobody ever has Draisatl in the top 3. Nobody.

Except the Oilers.

Who always think they’re the smartest guys in the room.

Same story said 7 guys had Ekblad 1. 2 had Reinhardt. One had Bennett.

It would be like if the Bruins walked up to the table and took Johansen.

Would that be looking a lot better now? Yep. Would it have been a reach – even if it worked out – yep.

29. rickithebear says:

raventalon40:
    Greg Chase and Brendan Lemieux on the same line? Oh yeah!

Khaira and Chase played a game together in Subway Series.
    Chase 2G 0A +1
    Khaira 0G 2A +1

30. PDO says:

Woodguy: They were also very clear that Larsson might be a better pick than RNH.

That Bogo was the 2nd best Dman in 2008 draft.

That Sam Gagner was better than Logan Couture.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Again, I like the kid. I like his skill set.

I think there’s a reason he’s consistently ranked #4 or lower. I don’t know what the reason is and won’t pretend to, but if it’s a four horse race as the Edmonton narrative goes, why isn’t he ever higher than 4?

It’s a fair question isn’t it?

Lots of smoke around VAN and WIN making serious pitches for #1.

32. PDO says:

Woodguy:
    Lots of smoke around VAN and WIN making serious pitches for #1.

Winnipeg is pretty far back.

Oiler’s could possibly try to be a middle man on that deal… help Winnipeg up to 3 (and higher than Vancouver).

PDO: Sure, and there’s every possibility that Draisatl is the best player in the draft.

Again, I like the kid.I like his skill set.

I think there’s a reason he’s consistently ranked #4 or lower.I don’t know what the reason is and won’t pretend to, but if it’s a four horse race as the Edmonton narrative goes, why isn’t he ever higher than 4?

It’s a fair question isn’t it?

Ekblad is #1 by many people including Pronman etc.

Reinhart had a great 16 year old year (85p[ts in 72gms) so has the track record. Had an unreal playoff as well.

Eastern media thinks Bennett is Toews and is a young 17.

Draisatil is a late birthday German who plays in Prince Albert.

That’s probably why.

34. rickithebear says:

That Bogo was the 2nd best Dman in 2008 draft.

That Sam Gagner was better than Logan Couture.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Sam gagner ;
    2011-12 12/13
    123gm 22 EVG 10 PPG 53 A 85 P -1

End of season this year with hall; Eberle; Perron; Jones; Smyth
    14 gm 3G 9A even .85 PPG

PDO: Winnipeg is pretty far back.

Wonder if WIN is dangling Kane?

36. PDO says:

Woodguy: Ekblad is #1 by many people including Pronman etc.

Reinhart had a great 16 year old year (85p[ts in 72gms)so has the track record.Had an unreal playoff as well.

Eastern media thinks Bennett is Toews and is a young 17.

Draisatil is a late birthday German who plays in Prince Albert.

That’s probably why.

Could very well be right.

I also love everything I’ve ever read about Bennett from the Toews comps, to the birthday, to the fact he was the best player on a great team.

37. PDO says:

Woodguy: Wonder if WIN is dangling Kane?

Or Dusty.

Keep in mind the Tallon connection (with regards to WPG moving up to Florida).

I’d deal the third + for Dusty, though I can’t see Eakins behind that.

38. Oil Fan 99 says:

If we draft Draisatl what do you think about signing Ott for our 2C. I know he does not provide enough offense but he did play over 18 minutes a night last year. Protect Draisatl on a soft minutes line with Yak for a year or so.

Hall – Nuge – Eberle
    Perron – Ott – Gagner
    Yak – Draisatl – Kulemin (hopefully open up some ice for the 2 young stars)
    Henricks – Gordon – Pitlick

PDO: Could very well be right.

40. striker says:

rickithebear: Khaira and Chase played a game together in Subway Series.
    Chase 2G 0A +1
    Khaira 0G 2A +1

Foreshadowing?

41. striker says:

thurmtim: On an unrelated note… Steve Smith signed as Asst Coach with Carolina, rejoining Ricky O on that staff. What is in the water down there? I know Carolina is tobacco country but methinks they might be smoking something else of late….

Orange for McDavid

Oil Fan 99,

I can’t stand Ott as a player.

He’s a piece of shit.

An old piece of shit.

43. RexLibris says:

Oil Fan 99:

Hall – Nuge – Eberle
    Perron – Ott – Gagner
    Yak – Draisatl – Kulemin (hopefully open up some ice for the 2 young stars)
    Henricks – Gordon – Pitlick

Ott should not play higher than the third line, and that would be on a bad team.

Now, if you’ve got a Delorean, 1.21 Gigawatts, and some Rohipnol, maybe 2007 Ott would be a fit. Otherwise, I think the Oilers need someone closer to their prime.

Jussi Jokinen as a 3/4C to play depth C alongside Gordon (albeit at the cost of Lander/Arcobello) would be a good signing. Maybe even as a depth winger at this stage of his career. But I think he’ll aim for teams considered closer to the top of the standings.

44. RexLibris says:

striker: Orange for McDavid

Funny. Let’s hashtag it and see if it catches on.

45. striker says:

RexLibris: Funny. Let’s hashtag it and see if it catches on.

Someone else said it a few days back, forgot who, Woodguy or Rom I think.

Orange being an example of a word that is notoriously difficult or impossible to rhyme.

Carolina will get some nice pasta dinners with the Ricky O signing but don’t know about managerial competence.

46. striker says:

Woodguy: Some look his 76%ish IPP and think that Reinhart and Draisatl being above 90% are feathers in their cap.

Been covered before ad nauseum but hard to know what to make of the IPPs without data for previous seasons to see whether the high IPP is an aberration or consistent with previous seasons.

Took me all damn day, so please read

Two full rounds, some cool video too

48. PDO says:

I’d agree, though at that high of a percent I’m tempted to say they were simply the best player on their team and everyone deferred to them.

“Get him the puck no matter what and see what happens.”

Of course, that also means that he would be checked like a mad man. I still think it would help those numbers more though.

Will be nice in a few years when we can have some more context for these numbers.

49. ashley says:

No need to overthink this too much.

50. Oil Fan 99 says:

Woodguy,

That’s kind of the idea, no one likes him. Not sure if his own mothers likes him. He’s always yapping. But he hits everything, wins faceoffs and knows how to play defense. Or at least he did, up until last year.
    He is only 31 and paired with Perron teams may not look forward to playing us.
    The kids should take another step this year and dominant at times. Our second line needs a centre that can play against tough completion and I just don’t see the answer. Draisatl at best is 3 years from that guy.

51. Pouzar says:

PDO: Or Dusty.

Keep in mind the Tallon connection (with regards to WPG moving up to Florida).

I’d deal the third + for Dusty, though I can’t see Eakins behind that.

Wow. I would stop watching hockey if we did that deal. No offence man.

52. PDO says:

Pouzar: Wow. I would stop watching hockey if we did that deal. No offence man.

None taken.

Why?

Dusty is a top 10 RD in the league by most measures. He’s fat and loves the bottle, but he can skate for days and is imposing and most importantly moves the puck in the right direction.

53. supernova says:

blainer:
    supernova,

Ya I wouldn’t be surprised at all if draisatl went number 1 or 2…

Agree

54. Pouzar says:

PDO: None taken.

Why?

Dusty is a top 10 RD in the league by most measures.He’s fat and loves the bottle, but he can skate for days and is imposing and most importantly moves the puck in the right direction.

I have said in the past that I think he is a fine offensive defenceman with some really nice skills this team could use ( Offense from the back end and PP production).

But what he is not is a first pairing d-man on a Stanley Cup playoff contender. Heck he isn’t even one on the Winnipeg Jets. At #3 we may have a shot at a guy who could be that #1 D-man or at least a shot at a solid #1/2 Center. My issue is more the acquisition cost of Buff in this case and not the player.

55. supernova says:

PDO: Guys had Barkov that high though.

Nobody ever has Draisatl in the top 3.Nobody.

Except the Oilers.

Who always think they’re the smartest guys in the room.

Same story said 7 guys had Ekblad 1.2 had Reinhardt.One had Bennett.

It would be like if the Bruins walked up to the table and took Johansen.

Would that be looking a lot better now?Yep.Would it have been a reach – even if it worked out – yep.

Link is here

What guys are you talking about ?

It clearly lists the rankings of the experts. If you are talking someone had a mock draft or something that’s fine but you do a mock based off of lists.

Unless the NHL shifts to NFL style of drafting ( based on need not best player) but even at that a
    No 4 overall ranked player going at no. 3 is not a reach at all. Not by any stretch. In the NFL you can see players move 10 spots in the top half of the draft based on need or position.

If Leon was a consensus ranked 6 or 7 it might be a reach but not a 4. Bob Mckenzie is the consensus rank,

56. edoil1 says:

With Steve Smith now following Bucky out the assistant coach door they can finally chissel some new faces in the Oil version of Mt.Rushmore,thank god,thank’s McT.One more assistant please, Derek Laxdal.Class act.

57. RexLibris says:

striker: Someone else said it a few days back, forgot who, Woodguy or Rom I think.

I remember. Still funny, and I’d love to see it become a “thing” on twitter only to have media guys out East scrambling to determine the provenance.

58. RexLibris says:

Took me all damn day, so please read

Two full rounds, some cool video too

You forgot the Slideshow alert. ;)

Doesn’t bother me, personally. And I think your mock draft it pretty much bang on, although I only went through the top ten. It gets pretty hazy after that.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT.

Have to think the Leafs pick Ritchie.

Makes too much sense. massive. over-rated. OHL. ANd a ton of sudden, random MSM love… seemingly out of nowhere… which means Toronto.

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 5m
    Far as I can tell, talks between #Oilers and #CBJ D Nikita Nikitin continue into Tuesday. #windowstuck

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stauffer mentioned like five times today NN struggled with English.

At this point, I’m all in on NN for the comedy. The sitcoms I’m writing in my head about these contract negotiations are fantastic!

62. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline5m

Damn they sure are trying hard, aren’t they? I don’t think it should’ve have taken this long if Nikitin was willing to sign. If they get him now, I’m scared of the money and the term.

63. eidy says:

Nice list LT.

looking forward to Friday and seeing how it falls. Lots of gnashing of teeth for a lot of close calls at the top.

I am more curious as to who drops down to 4th round and if they will have to wake Stu up to pick.
    Interesting to see Kamenev at 43 and wonder where he will go because Russia.

Ant idea if blue bullet is gracing us with his list?

64. spoiler says:

RexLibris:

All three players are ranked as 2C potential, but Reinhart might also be able to play 1st line wing. People seem to be misinterpreting this as a knock on Reinhart.

All three players have played wing regularly in the past and may find themselves at wing in the NHL. All three.

If the Oilers are looking for a 2C for near future, they will not find one in this draft. None of these three kids have the defensive chops right now to play C at the NHL level. My guess is Reinhart is the closest, due to his 16 and 17 yr old scoring and his ability to raise his play in the playoffs this year. Draisaitl the next closest although he is no great shakes defensively yet either, maybe Bennett passes him in development sooner rather than later.

65. One-Timer says:

It’s nice of the NHL to hold the draft on a World Cup rest day.

Agree with this. BPA is 100% value for that pick (if you’re even sure who that is), but there’s no guarantee that you can trade him at 100% value later on for what your team needs the most. And EDM needs some size AND hands down the middle.

If you reach a little – like one spot over and there’s no cliff – then picking at, say, 90% value but getting what your team needs is probably a better bet in the long run.

In 2012 if there was a big C that the scouts said was just a shade less of a player than Yak, then that guy would be an Oiler now.

This may or may not mean they take Draisaitl. It’s more of a theoretical argument. Provided mostly by this WSH state rosé, which is not half bad.

66. bendelson says:

Regarding Anton Karlsson:

What’s the deal with this enigma label? Has anybody read anything that speaks to it… At all?

I’ve read that his extremely physical style has led to some injuries…
    I’ve read that his offense in the junior ranks have yet to translate to the big club…

I’ve also read plenty about his ‘warrior’ approach to the game…
    I’ve read he has a great attitude, never takes a shift off, and is a well rounded team player…
    I’ve noted he has captained several teams in recent years..,

So, we have big positives, some concerns of note but absolutely nothing that sounds like an ‘enigma’.

Can anybody add some insight?

67. Racki says:

OK, so the Jets reportedly have made an offer for #1. Jets don’t need another good RHD. They have serious power up the right side D, so I’m going to instantly eliminate them from wanting to pick Ekblad with that top pick and feel they’ll take Bennett.

So hypothetical situation.. they pass on Ekblad.. So does Buffalo, and takes a center…

Oilers take Ekblad at 3, and Calgary takes Dal Colle or Ritchie (hypothetical still)…

That leaves one centerman left at #5… what the heck can the Oilers give to NYI to obtain that? I think I’d be pretty damn happy if the Oilers left Philly with the D and a C (especially Draisaitl). How fantastic would that be? I can’t see that scenario really happening, but a guy could dream.

Another possibility… Jets get pick #1, and don’t take Ekblad (almost can guarantee this) …. would Buffalo take Yakupov for #2? Then draft Draisaitl and Ekblad to Edmonton? I’d love that.

68. Rondo says:

Rondo:
    Gerta Rauss,

Alex Peters

Peters has to be considered one of the top shutdown defensive prospects available for this draft. At 6’4, 200lbs, and with good mobility, he’s very difficult to get around off the rush. He keeps attacking forwards in front of him and picks his spots well when using a stick or body check. Peters is also already very strong in the corners and comes away with the puck in the vast majority of his loose puck battles. As he matures, I look for him to become even more of a menacing presence in front of the net, utilizing his size just a bit more than he currently does. The best thing about Peters is that he’s very capable at handling the puck and does a great job with getting the puck out of his zone by pass or rush. As he gains confidence, I look for him to try to jump up in the rush a bit more and to try pushing those rushes deeper into the offensive zone. While he does a great job of skating the puck out of trouble, he’s quick to dish it off once outside of his blueline. The offensive numbers aren’t necessarily there, but I can tell you that he has more offensive potential than those numbers would indicate. Bottom line is that Peters looks like a guy who could play 10+ years in the NHL in some capacity, but who also has the potential to impact the game on more than just a defensive level.

69. Hammers says:

ashley: I’m with PDO on this. The most striking thing about all the draft rankings is the interchangeability of 1-3 with exactly none of the lists having Draisatl in the top 3. Draisatl appears to be a distant 4 amongst those who are educated in the matter including multiple scouts for McKenzie’s list. This should make it an easy draft for the Oilers. Just take whoever is left after the first 2 of the big 3 are gone. Unless they think they are smarter than all these other smart draft people. No need to overthink this too much.

70. nycoil says:

Tallon has done a nice job through the media of drumming up a perceived bidding war for 1st overall. I love Yak but wish Tambo had been capable of doing that to at least sweeten the offers. Never sounded like the Oilers ever got close to dealing the pick.

We’ve gone from hearing it would take Tanev +6th to Shinkaruk +Tanev +6th to Byfuglien + 9th…how is Tallon doing this in a “weak” draft year? Canucks really want Reinhart. Jets–Bennett or Reinhart?

71. nycoil says:

Racki,

Snow has made it clear he wants either a top line LW to play with Okposo and Tavares or a top young D-man. Doubt he gets either. I would think from the Oil he’d ask for maybe both: Perron + Schultz/Klefbom or something like that. Avoid.

72. nycoil says:

Thornton and now Marleau saying they don’t want to waive their NMCs, torpedoing Doug Wilson’s rebuild early on. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/23/marleau-i-want-to-play-in-san-jose/

73. Racki says:

nycoil:
    Racki,

Yah, agree to avoid that. What about Buffalo? I realize this is far fetched to think it could work out better with Buffalo, given the Islanders are trying to soak teams for 5. I’m bored I guess and wanting something exciting to happen. :P

74. Hammers says:

They said on TSN McKenzie has picked the first pick correctly for what something like 10+ years . I also have heard on 2 different programs only 2 , Ekblad & Leon have a good shot at playing next season . Even if they all get sent back to junior it doesn’t change the fact we need a potential 2nd line center more than a 2-3 “D” ( Ekblad rated below Jones ) Potential may be a guy who starts out as 3rd line “C” with the likelihood to move up . This isn’t an exact science so don’t be surprised if Ekblad is there at 3 and McT trades him . Time will keep rumors coming right up until Friday .

75. spoiler says:

Hammers:

I will be surprised if the team that drafts Reinhart sends him back. Maybe Ritchie too, if the team that takes him thinks he’s Nichushkin.

76. ashley says:

Hammers: Problem with that is if you want a center there is only 3 and some say Reinhart makes a better winger so now your 2 .

But now we’re talking about drafting for need instead of BPA. I don’t agree with that. If we don’t want the obvious BPA, then the correct play is to trade down or trade it away for NHL roster players. I hope MacT is working having something like this set up if he is also thinking that he doesn’t want Reinhart or Ekblad because of team need.

If it was close, then I could be convinced otherwise, but outside of this blog, it looks like there is a top 3 and the rest.

Who gets you more return in a trade? Ekblad or Draisatl? Bennett or Draisatl? What about 3 years from now?

I believe if the Oilers don’t take Draisatl, he won’t go until 5 or 6 because the Flames are going to do the Burke thing and take someone from outside the top 10 (Richie?), and the Islanders may have their eyes on something else.

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nycoil:

more like saving him from a stupid decision.

78. frjohnk says:

I would not be surprised to hear Burke utter the words “we had (player they pick) ranked number 1 in the draft”
    I do wonder if they would go after Virtanen.
    Big
    Fast
    Physical
    Lethal shot

Placed in the right situation with a playmaking center, Virtanen may turn out to be the best goal scorer of this draft.

79. JohnnyOilfan says:

Racki,

I’m with you Racki, if we can leave Philly with both the Ekblad and Draisatl, I would be floored! Even if we have to give up Yak. Like the kid, but we need to be stronger down the middle. Would Buffalo do that trade, maybe if they see yak a good fit with Hodgson and a good link for their other russian. I wonder if the NYI would be keen on taking on Yak for the #5. Yak is a former #1 and with NYI moving into Brooklyn next year and having a large russian community in and around Brooklyn, that might do it for Snow. Perhaps throw samwise. But you only do it Draisalt is skipped by Calgary and available at the #5 slot.

80. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

As the salary cap goes up, it looks like the Sharks will have to implement a team cap. Reports of a bad TV deal for them.

Link

81. Andy P says:

thurmtim:

How nice if they took Bucky too……

82. Marc says:

Still trying to get my head around Philly’s crazed Hartnell for Umberger trade. Here’s a left field theory.

The only thing that Umberger has going for him is that his contract is 2 years shorter. It seems odd to downgrade from an effective player to an ineffective one solely to help yourself three years down the road….unless the real goal is a compliance buyout. Umberger’s buyout number is $7M less that Hartnell’s, which may make a difference to the guy signing the cheques.

Philly has used both of theirs, but if they package Umberger with Coburn and send him to a team with a. a compliance buyout left and b. a rich owner, then they could clear $9M in cap space.

Enough to offer sheet PK Subban at 8 x $9.5M.

So Coburn and Umberger to Edmonton for a bag of pucks? The Oilers buyout Umberger and get a LD partner for Schultz for nothing but some of Katz’s millions.

83. supernova says:

Hammers,

Add in the fact that everyone had Yakupov as the sure fire No.1 2 years ago.

And now the same people that said you have to take Yakupov criticize Oiler management for following the list.

You hire a scouting department you spend money and time and effort. If you believe one is better than the consensus list than you take him.

Otherwise fire all your scouts have one guy use a computer and draft from Bobs list.

Taking a player ranked 4th is not a reach at 3. You have to accommodate for many things,

Projected position
    Size
    Injury concerns
    Scouts
    Lots of others

I sure as hell hope each and every team has their own list if it is what the media has we are in a world of hurt. The value of bobs list is it actually uses a consensus team list.

84. Ca$h-Money! says:

supernova,

Bingo.

1. Argument for BPA is based on the idea that you can then move that asset for a “fit” asset at a later date.
    2. This was the basis for taking Yakupov (a move I support, and I don’t want to trade the guy).
    3. Most people, many of them making argument #1, are against trading Yakupov, in spite of the fact that this is the flip side to the “always BPA” coin.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

4. The “always BPA” argument is a sound one generally, in that it is a good catch all for most teams, most of the time. With that in mind, I’m not convinced it applies all that well to a team that’s stuck at the bottom of the league for 6+ years and is trying to build their entire roster from top 5 draft picks. Once you’ve picked in the top 5 a handful of times, I think it’s ok to push the rankings a little bit to slot in for need. I feel that now is an appropriate time, given the abundance of centers available, the utter lack of depth at both the pro and minor league for that position, and the relative lack of separation between the top 3 in terms of boxcars and overall ability at the junior level.

In short….. Draisaitl is close enough at #4 that it’s worth the risk to address the center & top 6 size deficit.

85. nycoil says:

86. Lloyd B. says:

Marc,

And I thought I saw snakes in the grass. Interesting theory. Head hurt much?

87. Pouzar says:

nycoil: To everyone here on this board, this article will seem like stating the obvious, but it would be nice if the rest of the hockey world at least read this.http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/why-the-edmonton-oilers-should-keep-the-no-3-pick-and-take-leon-draisaitl/

Yeah I am back on Team Drysaddle again. Dammnit…come on Friday!