2014 FINAL TOP 30 and MACT/MATTY

We are finally here. Bob McKenzie’s list sees the light of day tonight, so it’s time to lay down your bets and see how close we can get to the King. McKenzie has been doing this for awhile now, and routinely rips off 20+ and sometimes 25 out of 30 every year.

My list isn’t a prediction of who goes where, it’s a list of the top 30 players available in this blog’s opinion. Part Desjardins’ NHLE, part opinion of McKenzie, Red Line and Pronman, and bias mixed with beer and that mustard stain I cannot get rid of no matter how hard I try. Here we go.

FINAL TOP 30, 2014

1. (1) C Sam BennettThis is such a close race, but he’s my No. 1 pick. Range of skills, quality center.
  2. (2) C Sam Reinhart—Most skill in the draft, just shy of Bennett due partly to ?s about his future at center.
  3. (4) C Leon Draisaitl—This is a fine hockey player. No one should be surprised if he goes No. 3 overall.
  4. (3) D Aaron Ekblad—Hammer. Lots of defensive value, I’m shy because of the established risk of blue.
  5. (5) L Nikolaj Ehlers—The more we learn about his offensive season, the more impressive he becomes.
  6. (7) L William Nylander—Outstanding talent, impact offensive player.
  7. (9) R Kevin Fiala—I like him a lot, Pronman was the first to mention him at this level.
  8. (6) L Michael Dal Colle—A quality player, offense not as striking when under a microscope.
  9. (8) C Robby Fabbri—He’s a terrific offensive player, great motor.
  10. (12) L Nikita Scherbak—Skilled, rugged winger was a Stone Alone in Saskatoon.
  11. (10) L Jake Virtanen—Power winger who can score goals. 32 EV goals. Lordy.
  12. (18) C Ivan Barbashev—Gritty player with skill. A complete player.
  13. (13) R Kasperi Kapanen—Wide range of views on the Finn, offense is a concern.
  14. (19) R David Pastrnak—Outstanding prospect, might have top 10 talent.
  15. (11) L Nick Ritchie—What will he be in the NHL? A monster, but is he Lucic?
  16. (14) D Haydn Fleury—Jay Bouwmeester’s younger brother.
  17. (15) L Jakub Vrana—I like his scouting report a lot. Sound pick, under the radar.
  18. (21) C Jared McCann—A wide range of skills, I love these guys.
  19. (16) R Alex Tuch—Power forward, question is how much offense. Finished well.
  20. (24) C Vladislav Kamenev—Creative, skilled, has size. Two-way center.
  21. (23) C Dylan Larkin—Creative center, playmaker. Smooth.
  22. (17) D Julius Honka—Everyone talks about his size. He’s a really good player.
  23. (25) L Adrian Kempe—Aggressive, physical winger with skill.
  24. (27) L Sonny Milano—Skill winger with some defensive issues. Natural scorer.
  25. (26) C Connor Bleackley—Physical center with skill.
  26. (20) R Josh Ho-Sang—Started slow, finished strong. Fast.
  27. (31) C John QuennevilleSkill player blossomed in the postseason. Impressive finish.
  28. (28) D Roland McKeown—Fast train with skill. Defensive issues.
  29. (22) L Brendan Perlini—EV totals (58GP, 15-17) are not impressive. Role player.
  30. (32) D Anthony DeAngelo—Phenomenal skater, outstanding offense. A rover, defensive issues.

More movement than I thought there would be, but more information came available this week. I’d be lying if I said the Katsaros/Extra Skater watershed lacked impact, I’m genuinely unsure about men like Dal Colle and Perlini relative to their estimated value a week ago (and that is reflected in the rankings). There are five defensemen in the first round, no goalies. This is a forward draft at the top.

I have moved Ekblad behind Draisaitl. It’s based on the German’s impressive season, as we drill down there’s a real good hockey player there. It’s also true that defensemen break your heart when taken at this point in the draft.

MACT AND MATTY

A lot of talk about this interview and what it means, I’m not as upset as some folks but can certainly see how a few of the quotes could rattle cages. Here’s a quick glance at the quotes and how I read them.

• “We won’t trade those guys. So you have your draft choice (in play).”

“Those guys” are Hall and the untouchables. This is just good business. This is listening to your scouts. Craig MacTavish should be able to ask Stu MacGregor the difference in quality between No. 3, No. 6 and No. 16, and if he can find value he should take it. Lots of talk about Oilers dealing No. 3 to Toronto for No. 8 and Jake Gardiner, and MacT should pull the trigger if MacGregor says there’s a guy at 6 who is a hair below the Dangler.

• “Sam’s of really good character. We fully expect he’ll have a bounce-back year. Players normally do. He had such a good lockout year.”

Looks like he’s coming back! This may be reflective of the market on 89 at this time. If they can’t get any kind of return, then this is the right call. I still believe they could deal him for picks and use that $4.8 million on a better fit, but there’s much we don’t know.

• “We need somebody who’ll go north-south with the puck from the back end. We need defence that can move the puck better. That’s a priority, but there’s not much of that in the UFA market. Historically, a big percentage of those signings in the UFA season are poor anyway. You’re often better sticking with your own guys, guys you know. You have to do your homework with free agency. Hopefully, we make some good decisions. We are going to target some people.”

Not a thing wrong with this line of thinking, I don’t see an Ehrhoff on the free-agent list. I wonder about the definition of puck-mover though, the club tried to acquire Nikita Nikitin over the weekend and he’s not exactly Scott Niedermayer out there. One could overreact and suggest the puck mover is going to be from the Jason Smith family, but let’s see how this plays out.

• “We’d like a third-pairing defenceman who can block shots and kill penalties. A Mark Fraser-type guy.”

This tells me a couple of things. First, the club doesn’t like my idea of Ference-Schultz as a third pairing option, and that the third set this winter is going to be giving us some crazy video. I wonder if they want a veteran third pairing that will match the 4line on those tough zone starts? Maybe. Anyway, full sail for Engelland here, ladies. Don’t catch the scurvy.

• “I can’t mention any names. I think Justin has enough game. He’s not too needy out there.”

Yeah, I’m prepared to predict this won’t end well. Schultz has become ‘opposite sideburns’ where there’s nothing he does that doesn’t smell like roses. Schultz can wheel, and I imagine those old goats in the gondola see him and think of Paul, but he’s not a very good defender. The one thing I hold on to like grim death is the sweet, sweet air that Craig Ramsay breathes. He’s a dummy whisperer. Godspeed, Craig.

• “Much like Chicago’s got where they have three lines of offensive guys and a fourth line that can play against anybody. That’s what we’d really like to do. We need (Anton) Lander to step up and (Mark) Arcobello, or add a free-agent forward or two who can compete for those jobs. Maybe somebody who could come in and be a good fit with Yak (Nail Yakupov on the third line). We have the first line (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle). If we can draft a guy at centre who can play, then we’d have that guy, Perron and Sam or some form of that.”

This is the money quote, and I’ve quoted the whole damn thing. PLEASE click through and read the Matheson article, because that’s a lot of quote I’m using. First, the Yakupov third line thing. LOTS of anger and angst online last night. Relax. If the Oilers run Nuge-Hall-Eberle and then the second line houses Grabovski-Perron-Gagner, that leaves Yakupov with Kulemin and some center options. Maybe’s it’s Leon the Dangler, maybe it’s Yakety Yakimov, maybe it’s Arco the flood, hell boys maybe it’s that Swede we’ve been bashing for five long years. Worrying over Nail’s slotting at this point is folly. The one thing I continue to believe is that he’s vulnerable to a trade offer this summer. We wait.

• “Yeah, I’d say so. But the player will determine that.”

This is a question about Leon Draisaitl. The Deutschland Dangler has the NHLE to make the grade, and he’s certainly big enough. The Oilers are old hands at this stuff, and I’d expect he would get 9 games. At that point, Arcobello will probably have outplayed him, and if history holds Leon stays and Arco gets the blunt. We’ll see. I am excited to see Draisaitl-Yakupov on a soft parade line with Kulemin, gotta say.

• “I’d be surprised if I get one. If you can’t get it at the trade deadline, you can’t get it closer to the draft. The value of draft choices at the trade deadline is at the bottom. At the draft, the value is high.”

I don’t believe him. He’s a take charge guy, and he’ll have listened to his scouts ramble on about all these Quenneville’s and goalies from Blagoveshchensk, and he’ll make some kind of deal. I remain convinced Gagner is in play.

• “Brossoit is probably a couple of years away. He’ll hopefully have a solid year in the American League next season (as a backup). We’ve signed Ty Rimmer and he can play in the East Coast League. I like Ty. We also have (Frans) Tuohimaa, who we signed, (and Tyler Bunz). They’ll all be competing.”

Good news for Bachman or similar, doesn’t sound like he thinks much of anyone but Brossoit. Actually, the guy I’d rather be in that sentence is Ty Rimmer.

• “Marincin had a really good year with us and we’re optimistic about him. Klefbom played very well at the end, but we’ll see if he’s ready or needs more time in the American League. This upcoming camp is very important for players like (David) Musil and (Martin) Gernat, who played in Oklahoma City last year. They have to show improvement. I suspect Musil will come into camp with a real determined effort to compete for a job, whereas last year he was just feeling his way. Gernat has to come to camp with a better mentality and put in work on his body. He has to make a step. If guys like Musil and Gernat don’t make steps, then you start to get concerned that they won’t do what they have to do to be players.”

Some real nice quotes in there. Marincin where he should be in the conversation, Klefbom 4A and maybe ready sometime this season, and a really nice look into the thinking with regard to Musil and Gernat. Notice the urgency, and this is year two in their entry level deal, mind. Love it! I’m very much looking forward to seeing those two, along with Nurse and Simpson at TC/pre-season.

• “He was close last year. He’s over 200 pounds now. We’ll see him at our orientation camp (early July at Jasper) and hope to get him here working out for the rest of July. Get him indoctrinated into the system. He’ll be very close.”

Yep. I’m thinking the 9 game audition is there for him, Nurse just needs to push for it.

163 Responses to "2014 FINAL TOP 30 and MACT/MATTY"

1. RomZ says:

LT,

Are you taking Ekblad if he falls to #3?

I would have a hard time passing up on an impact forward prospect for the pipeline

RomZ:
    LT,

Are you taking Ekblad if he falls to #3?

I actually like the interview.

Seems like they are committed to 3 scoring lines. If it actually happens I’m going to drink all my whiskey in celebration.

They big quote was the Marincin one.

They see him and value him like we do.

*whew*

The question is not him, but whether Klef starts the year on the farm.

I think LT is right in that Klef starts on the farm so Nurse can get his 9 games in.

The saddest part are:

1) Mark Fraser type Dman? You want to get beat? You want to play a man down for 16 min/gm?

Give your fucking head a shake its not 1992.

You have a 3LD, he is also the Captain.

2) Yak on 3rd. Not earth shattering, but I wonder if it makes him a reach for the PP.

You gotta play that kid on the PP. Just have to. If he’s only getting 12 5v5 TOI/gm, he needs 3 more on the PP. Otherwise its a bloody waste of a #1.

3) Anit-burns. I agree with that. I guess MacT missed the 75 games where Jultz lollygagged to a puck and then panic-chipped it up the boards and turned it over. Maybe he was taking a pee?

Still, I don’t expect negative verbal about players, so I’m not reading too much into it.

More good than bad, and nothing surprising.

Ramsay is looming really large.

His work with the D and PP can make or break this team.

4. nycoil says:

LT,
    Curious as to why Ho-Sang dropped 6 slots in your eyes after seeing the Extra Skater EV P/60 data.

Edit- But I am nit-picking. Great list. Thank you for the efforts!

Also, posted the latest on Nikitin from Portzline at the tail end of the last thread

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
    Until/unless another #NHL teams calls for #CBJ D Nikita Nikitin’s rights, no reason why CBJ would cut off talk b/w #Oilers and Nikitin.

5. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

I’m still of the mindset that Perron and Yak work together. “Yak is really easy to play with when he is moving his feet.” That’s the $$ quote right there for me.

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovski-Kulemin-Gagner
    Gordon-Perron-Yakupov
    Arcobello-Lander-Hendricks

6. Hammers says:

I have no problem with 9 games for Nurse and Draisiatl if drafted but feel Nurse should go back . The German maybe good enough for the 3rd line .I don’t see Arco/Lander at center with Gags on the wing if he stays but we could see Gags with RNH & Hall . ; Ebs & Perron with a new center . doubt McT gets Kulimen and Grabvoski but would be great if he did . Gordon Hendricks & Lander for 4th . So if Gags stays we need 2 UFA forwards and 3 new guys if his traded . The “D” is still up in the air but Markov at 8-7-4 over 3 hyears may get it done .

7. Darcy says:

Are we sure that Nikitin did not sign a contract and we are waiting for the NHL offices to open today to announce trade?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Glad to see Barbashev back in the top 15. I think he belongs there.

I’d also put Spencer Watson in the top 30. Right at the tail end. Looking at the first line in Kingston, I don’t see him getting zoomed by Bennett too much. But, he’s not getting the same kind of attention. Sleeper pick IMO.

The more I think about Fabbri, the more I think he might belong a touch higher.

Ekblad, never one to impress me, has only slipped with the new resources. I’d probably advise a GM to take him late in the top 10.

———–
    “Not a thing wrong with this line of thinking”

I’m not sure I agree with this. The issue is UFA signings. I think whether they historically work out or not has a lot to do with your pro scouts. I read this as a lack of faith in EDM’s pro scouts that MacT is projecting out onto the league to some degree.

The general point is taken. But, I think it is overly cautious in that it relies too much on bad, point driven advice for pros.

———
    “and a really nice look into the thinking with regard to Musil and Gernat.”

That makes no sense to me at all.

And, putting Musil ahead of Gernat is silly. Goof-ball stuff.

9. Oilanderp says:

It’s gonna kill me when Bennett goes to Calgary. Kill me.

10. Jesse says:

Woodguy:

You mean, aside from when he talks about goalies, right?

nycoil:
    Woodguy,

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovski-Kulemin-Gagner
    Gordon-Perron-Yakupov
    Arcobello-Lander-Hendricks

You messed up the bottom.

4th line needs to be able to handle tough minutes and Maholtra zone starts

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovski-Perron-Gagner
    Arcobello-Kulimen-Yakupov
    Gordon-Lander-Hendricks

I could also see:

Grabbo-Kulimen-Yak
    Arcobello-Perron-Gagner

I actually like that better.

Both lines get the same 5v5 TOI.

You’re not paniced if you need to send one out for a Dzone draw.

Jesse: You mean, aside from when he talks about goalies, right?

Fuck goalies.

NYCOIL: I’m absolutely without ability to slot Dal Colle, Ho-Sang and Perlini correctly. My brain is mush in regard to those three players.

ROM: Gernat is Cliff Johnson, 1971. It’s a pattren, as my son used to say when he was little.

14. Dicky94 says:

If Ekblad falls to three, I hope the Oil pass on him as well. We need to start stock piling at Centre. Really like the d prospects we have right now. Good centers have as much trade value as d men. Can always trade one down the road for a top two defenseman.

15. Pouzar says:

I personally never bought into the front office not being that high on MM. I actually think they are doing cartwheels over this kid.

16. LMHF#1 says:

The question for me on the prospect goalie front will be whether MacTavish lets Rimmer pass Brossoit when Ty outplays Laurent. I doubt it – but you never know. The guy with the irrational hate-on for Penner may have learned his lesson by now – or not. (Referring to his irrationality, not a hate-on for Rimmer)

17. LMHF#1 says:

I still can’t see a scenario where trading the pick doesn’t sound excellent.

Either Ekblad is there and some team REALLY wants a big D, or one of the top 2 C’s is there and someone wants that pretty badly. You should be able to get an actual player from a team whose time is not coming shortly.

18. sliderule says:

LT
    You mention Leaves offering number 6 and Gardiner.
    You must mean 8 and Gardiner .
    That would be a terrible trade as you would trade for a defender barely out of the prospect camp and a forward in the magic bean group.
    The oilers have a bunch of D prospects that will be knocking at door and no center depth.
    In a draft with three centers in top four take the best center left to you.
    We should pay for an add that repeats over and over “take the center”

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

29. One other Pittsburgh note: hearing Kris Letang will not be traded, barring a ridiculous offer.

There’s one idea at least somewhat frustrated.

20. Racki says:

LT, your article has Toronto picking at 6. They pick at 8. Vancouver has 6.

21. Jordan says:

I realize we’re in Draft-mode now, so this will be a little out of place, but it seems more reasonable to suggest it now, and talk about it again when the draft is done next weekend.

Thomas Vanek.

I think most people would agree he hurt his stock a lot in the post-season, and his uninspired play since his trade to Montreal was generally dissapointing, correct?

Presuming his offers are poorer than 6M per over a 3-4 year deal, I’d suggest signing him to a one-year overpay.

Why?

3 reasons:
    – He’s a damn good hockey player, even if “uninterested” at times
    – He only costs Money
    – On a one-year overpay, he’s a perfect trade chip at the deadline if the team is out of the running
    – He may take more money up front in the hopes of recovering his lost cache for a new contract next year.

22. su_dhillon says:

For me the scenario’s I’d be least happy with involve Ekblad.
    Starting from the worst which would be trading up for Ekblad,I just can’t imagine that working out and see zero value in a move like that.
    2. Would be Reinhart and Draisaitl go 1-2 and they take Ekblad over Bennett. I just see the hole at center way bigger than D when were talking about 18 year olds and the upside of Ekblad seems to be far more limited than the top 3 or 4 forwards. Lets hope the Analytics guys they use for the draft keep hammering the F over D data.

My fav scenario would be a trading #3+ for a legitimate NHL impact player in that 23-26 years old range, other than that coming out with Bennett, Draisaitl or Reinhart I can live with all of those.

As far as Yak on the 3rd line, if he plays with skill players it doesn’t really matter, what matters more is how they use him on the PP, the answer to that should be a lot!

23. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t know if putting Musil ahead of Gernat is “goofball stuff” as I haven’t seen a big enough sample size of the two, but I, too was bothered by MacTavish calling out these two in this way. As in, “They better hurry up and show us something this year or else.” We know defensemen develop in glacial time. If they cut bait on a 21-yr-old who doesn’t show enough at camp this year, as the “calling out” insinuates, this rebuild is in trouble.

Also, the comment about coming to camp in a certain kind of “shape.” Gernat is skinny like Marincin. Being an ectomorph is not a choice. Not everyone is a mesomoph able to pack on muscle with a protein-heavy diet and weight-lifting. It doesn’t work that way. If he is only 3,4 pounds heavier following the prescribed program the Oilers give him, I hope they don’t accuse him of being lazy or not following the program. Heck, in many cases, just packing on weight isn’t the desirable goal anyway. I see a bit of that having happened with Nuge the past year and not being as agile as they had him pack on as much weight as they could get him to add. The Patty Kane types do just fine without being heavy. It’s all about strength in the right areas (such as the legs and core), as well as dexterity.

To me, that was the most disappointing part of the interview as well.

Also, I couldn’t let slide the comment by Matty about finding a “left-handed Girardi.” Girardi is so overrated. It worries me that people still think that way. I honestly believe it has something to do with a square jaw-line indicating brute “man-strength.” This is why Ekblad seems to be coveted as well. I know it’s a reach, but I think there is a psychological, sub-conscious effect where people see Girardi or Ekblad’s square jaw and think they are strong, while pointy-jawed Nuge will never be. Stralman is going to get less money and term than Girardi this summer, and that’s just going to be mistaken valuation of these players.

24. Pouzar says:

sliderule:
    LT
    You mention Leaves offering number 6 and Gardiner.
    You must mean8 and Gardiner .
    In a draft with three centersin top four take the best center left to you.
    We should pay for an addthat repeats over and over “take the center”

This. Hate the idea. We have zero center depth and have a choice of maybe at least 2 very good ones. Pass.

25. VanOil says:

Thank you LT for sharing your efforts and passions for the draft. This is great stuff.

After observing your process in coming to the conclusions on this list I can find little fault in your conclusions.

You are a draft expert.

You are also completely wrong of course!

I offer the following alternative Top 3 analysis based on no process at all but a similar Mustard stain;

Bennett: Product of a Cherry kissing Eastern bias. A person with such horrible musical tastes Shirley he can’t play hockey.

Reinhart: If he was from Viking not North Van he would be #1. Everyone knows Cow shit makes you tough and Skateboarding and Mountain biking make you weak.

Draisaitl: Smid’s hair cut, Smytties stick and a definite lack of Eye Glow/60

Ekblad: Defensemen can’t be in the top 3. The only thing crazier than taking a D in the top 3 is taking a Goalie in the 1st round.

26. shawnmullin says:

To me if you keep Leon he and Yak together would make an interesting soft parade combo.. I don’t know how you divide the rest of it up necessarily, but those two and maybe a guy with edge like Perron or a two way guy like Lander playing wing against the weaker match-ups could be fun to watch. The key would then be finding guys through trade or free agency that could be your second line and play tougher minutes. That and who gets the top pairing minutes on D are the huge questions for the Oilers if they’re going to have a chance to be a playoff team.

27. Bar_Qu says:

I’m of the view Nikitin is the “Mark Fraser” type in this interview. Have been all along. This, imo, more than anything else demonstrates the progress this GM had made in this team’s management.

28. nycoil says:

Jordan,

The line of thinking is interesting, but I don’t think Vanek is in such hot water he has to face a one-year deal. He had a bad playoffs with a new team. He was solid on the Isles’ top line with Tavares and Okposo, putting up over a PPG after he got settled in as that line after Christmas until Tavares got hurt was the top point-producing line in the entire league. The Isles offered him 7 x $7M, which he turned down because he wants to go to Minnesota. He could go to Minnesota and take the Heatley money, thereby getting his wish to go “home” and make $6M or so per year, or he could probably just go back to the Isles and say, “hey, can I still get that offer?” or something close to it.

29. VanOil says:

Dellow seems to be trying to fix Schultz for Woodguy. Godspeed.

30. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

That’s better, you’re right. I was debating Gordon at 3C or 4C, but guess it depends on if you go for more balance or if you play your best players (Gordon > Arcobello at this point) higher up in the order.

I like your balanced approach better on second thought. My only question mark then would be Kulemin or Perron opposite Yak on the 3rd line.

31. Rondo says:

If Ekblad falls to # 3 do the Flyers make a run for him?

32. thejonrmcleod says:

Q: Having your scouts sit that long at the draft between picks after watching players all winter is tough though, isn’t it?

A: At least we have a goalie (Ben Scrivens for the third-round pick) and a decent right-winger (David Perron for the second-rounder).

The first time I read the interview, I was surprised that MacT called Perron “a decent right-winger.” But now I’m thinking that he was just trying to be humble about the successful trade. Am I right?

33. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

There’s one idea at least somewhat frustrated.

I really like point 16 and 17 of that 30 thoughts (Spezza comments to Bennett)

34. Andy P says:

Woodguy: Ramsay is looming really large.
    His work with the D and PP can make or break this team.

This all day, except Ramsay might be pivotal to the team turning north, but if he fails I’d suspect that the brokenness is deeper and wider spread than anyone guessed, rather than yet another accredited coach turning out to be past his coach, or incompetent.

35. Bar_Qu says:

Racki,

It really shows how classy a guy Spezza is and how lousy fans are for running him out of town (see Hemsky, Ales as another example).

36. Racki says:

Interesting. Hartnell and Umberger swap teams.

I guess that removes the Gagner for Umberger rumor. And i don’t think that is so bad either.

37. Racki says:

Bar_Qu:
    Racki,

Yah that is definitely a good thing of him to do. Very classy… Good show of leadership, in a sense

38. borisnikov says:

Crazy question…

Does MacT get ballsy and try to ship Yak + to Buffalo for the 2nd and then walk up to the mic and draft both Draisaitl AND Ekblad? Would really put a damper on the Godless team’s spirits I’d bet. 3 birds, one stone?

edit** Ever since Almedia brought up Ekblad in Calgary I’ve been having night sweats about ‘Regehr induced style’ shoulder injuries.

39. justDOit says:

Oilanderp:
    It’s gonna kill me when Bennett goes to Calgary.Kill me.

I don’t think any of us want to see an impact player go to Calgary, but they pick 4th, and there’s not a lot anyone can do about that. Hopefully they have a great season this year, but still miss the playoffs?

40. Andy P says:

LMHF#1:

The coach that just won the last Stanley Cup also passed on Penner.

41. Pouzar says:

What about a signed ROR for a hypothetical Ekblad at #3?

42. Deadman Waiting says:

Pouzar:

Me neither, and I said it not long ago, in a rare on-topic moment.

I never saw a more interesting creature: his eyes have generally an expression of wildness, and even madness, but there are moments when, if anyone performs an act of kindness towards him or does him any the most trifling service, his whole countenance is lighted up, as it were, with a beam of benevolence and sweetness that I never saw equalled.

Poe is a good guess. But the unctuous diction dates back even further. Perhaps a hybrid? I’ve never read any Lovecraft. The following snippet is of a different texture:

The paradisal scenes were almost too extravagant to be believed, portraying a hidden world of eternal day filled with glorious cities and ethereal hills and valleys. At the very last I thought I saw signs of an artistic anticlimax. The paintings were less skillful, and much more bizarre than even the wildest of the earlier scenes. They seemed to record a slow decadence of the ancient stock, coupled with a growing ferocity toward the outside world from which it was driven by the desert.

Back to our confident of the mad monster-maker in frigid perdition:

I shall satiate my ardent curiosity with the sight of a part of the world never before visited, and may tread a land never before imprinted by the foot of man. These are my enticements, and they are sufficient to conquer all fear of danger or death and to induce me to commence this laborious voyage with the joy a child feels when he embarks in a little boat, with his holiday mates, on an expedition of discovery up his native river.

To boldly go … to seek out …

My how diction evolves.

I must own I felt a little proud when my captain offered me the second dignity in the vessel and entreated me to remain with the greatest earnestness, so valuable did he consider my services.

It went well, then.

Six years have passed since I resolved on my present undertaking.

No point wasting a whole weekend.

* * *

Did anyone recognize that the “interesting creature” was the husk of Dr Frankenstein and not his monster?

43. nycoil says:

Holy crap, that is a huge win for CBJ. Jarmo keeps making the right moves over there!

Philly? What the EFF were you thinking?!

44. Reginald Cooper says:

Scherbak is really high on your list. Did Extra Skater put a little more shine on him for you?

45. LMHF#1 says:

Andy P: The coach that just won the last Stanley Cup also passed on Penner.

46. Rondo says:

Flyers acquire RJ Umberger and and a fourth-round pick in the 2015 from Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for Scott Hartnell

Reginald Cooper:

No, I’ve been liking him more as time rolled along.

48. nycoil says:

@GeorgeRichards
    #FlaPanthers Tallon says he doesn’t want to drop any farther than eighth in the first round. Let the rumors begin.

@GeorgeRichards
    #FlaPanthers Dale Tallon says he’s talked to a dozen teams about first overall pick, has one serious offer. Is waiting until the draft.

Friedman’s 30 thoughts:

4. One team that has definitely made an offer? Vancouver. I believe it included their first pick in this draft (which is sixth overall) and Hunter Shinkaruk, who was taken 24th in 2013. There was at least one other piece, probably off the main roster, but I can’t pin it down. It’s not Ryan Kesler, who won’t go there.

MacT, don’t trade up! Price is too rich.

49. Racki says:

nycoil:

MacT, don’t trade up! Price is too rich.

Could not agree more. There is no reason too with the top 4 so close. If the Oilers didn’t need big help at C too, sure. But it makes way more sense just to draft their C at 3rd (or ekblad if still there) and not give up anything to do so.

50. misfit says:

My first thought after seeing that Hartnell/Umberger trade was “How much of RJ’s deal are Columbus retaining?”. After finding out that the answer is “zero”…crazy.

Don’t get me wrong, Hartnell isn’t a 1st line winger and is signed for 2 years beyond Umberger’s term, but that’s still robbery.

51. russ99 says:

I’m really hoping the three scoring lines and Gagner still here things are a smokescreen…

52. KSC10032 says:

nycoil,

Barring some kind of undisclosed injury-recovery scenario, I’d have to guess the impetus for PHA is the minor cap reduction involved (@$1 million?) in this trade.

I can’t see any other reasoning involved. A few years ago, these two players may have been seen as close equivalents. Not now.

53. nycoil says:

KSC10032,

The cap hits are $4.6M for Umberger, $4.75M for Hartnell. So only $150K savings, not $1M. 2 more years on the Hartnell contract, though. Still, box cars and Corsi both in favour of Hartnell by a lot. Great trade for CBJ, considering people were saying they may have to buy out Umberger.

54. Zack says:

Hey Lowetide,

Ever since the oilers have been part of the lottery, I’ve become increasingly excited/obsessed with the drafting process and player development and wanted to thank you for your continuous work on this blog!

Serious question now, how firm are you on your decision for the top pick in Bennett? The biggest things I usually look for in prospects, after potential, is skating ability and work ethic. I know that Bennett is supposedly known for his work ethic but are his other attributes, skating, hockey IQ, defensive game on par with Reinhart?

I understand our need for centre but I just see Ekblad’s ceiling way too high to pass up on. Whoever we pick I think they’ll take at the very least one more year to ripen, at least in the CHL, with maybe just maybe Ekblad playing as a 7th D-man option (that’s a whole other story) but I think a big part of the argument of Elblad derives from the log jam at Defense. However, none of our d-men in our system have anywhere near the pedigree that Ekblad possesses.

Yes we are weak at centre and D-men have a greater bust value, but I just see Ekblad’s ceiling too high, in comparison to the other centers to pass up on. If this years crop had a Mackinnon/Hall/Duchene type of skater I’d be all over drafting one of these centers but none of them wow me in that aspect.

What are your thoughts LT, on potential and skating ability of these players?

55. Racki says:

Hartnell is a great add for CBJ, but not for 5 years at that cap hit. I think the Flyers have a lot more to worry about with cap management though.

56. KSC10032 says:

Racki,

^^^^^ — This, 1000%

Best Prospect Available. This draft, any draft. Trade from surplus down the road.

Look at all the available NHLE. While we all can see how little there is to choose between the top 4, we must also remember that NONE of these kids is a genuine top unit NHLer RIGHT NOW.

Its a question of how much better these kids get. Being able to identify the capacity to improve, and the likliehood of it happening with any given kid, is what separates the good organizations from the rest of the pack.

Zack:
    Hey Lowetide,

What are your thoughts LT, on potential and skating ability of theseplayers?

I think it’s all very close, SO close that things like:

1. The history of defensemen not developing like forwards
    2. The range of skills
    3. The size (yes, all things equal take the bigger man)

Have an impact. Now, size isn’t enough for me to take Draisaitl over Bennett, but I do understand the thought process. Same with Reinhart, we are hearing he may end up as a RW. Well that isn’t what the Oilers need here.

58. KSC10032 says:

nycoil,

My bad. Makes the trade less comprehensible, and — perhaps — hints at other issues?

59. nycoil says:

Racki,

I don’t think Hartnell is a great add for CBJ on its own. It’s the context. Giving up Umberger and a 4th for Hartnell is great problem-solving.

I don’t know what Philly was trying to accomplish here because Hartnell is the better player, easily, and the cap savings are negligible.

60. FastOil says:

Dicky94:
    If Ekblad falls to three, I hope the Oil pass on him as well. We need to start stock piling at Centre.Really like the d prospects we have right now.Good centers have as much trade value as d men. Can always trade one down the road for a top two defenseman.

Agreed. I like Ekblad, but watching the Kings and Hawks square off, the biggest difference (barring the games Quick stonewalled them) was at centre with the Hawks thin depth and injuries etc.

Not that the Oilers are set or anything on D, but there is more hope there and closer to helping than down the middle.

61. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Me? No. I’m concerned enough about his offense and like the three C’s enough to pass on him. There’s no WAY the Oilers would imo.

I’m not sold on that.

They wanted Monahan last year and settled for Nurse. This year, I think MacTavish is smart enough to realize that bueliners can be drafted in any round, but big scoring Cs tend to go in the top of the first.

Said it before, I’d be pleased to see Ekblad fall to Calgary. In my opinion the other forward prospects all have a higher potential ceiling.

If, for example, Reinhart fell to 4th, the Flames could convert him to W and have him alongside Monahan and either Baertschi or Gaudreau. Thanks, but I’d rather have the Oilers facing Ekblad for the next ten years than that line combination.

62. nycoil says:

Lisa DIllman of the LA Times says Matt Greene about to re-sign with LA. There goes the Edmonton MSM’s great hope

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa 16m
    Looking like Kings defenseman Matt Greene will be staying. In LA. Deal is close…

63. Racki says:

nycoil:

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa16m

nycoil:
    Racki,

Yes, “great add” is wrong way to put it.. I agree with what you’re saying though and that’s what I meant. Good swap for them.

64. RexLibris says:

Hartnell for Umberger and a 4th?

And we say that Gagner has no value?

Philadalphia – new GM, same old crazy.

65. nycoil says:

Racki,

Agreed on Greene. Think there’s a good chance that’s why MacT asked for the window with Nikitin. Context helps and this was a surprising development (Greene not hitting the market) given the lack of noise on Greene re-signing prior to this.

So Nikitin is likely the bottom pairing, “stay-at-home” target, in which case, that’s fine, cause he is a decent possession player to boot.

66. RexLibris says:

nycoil:
    Racki,

While we have no idea if the Matheson/Greene connection was really a concern, how often have the Oilers been saved from themselves by the actions of third parties? Heatley, Nylander, Vanek, Clarkson…those are just the ones that immediately come to mind.

67. Racki says:

nycoil:
    Racki,

I’d be fine if he wandered into 2nd pairing, even, but I know it isn’t ideal. It’s just that I can’t see MacTavish bringing in as much help as he hopes to.

RexLibris,

Yes, interesting point! Maybe you can add Umberger to that now too

68. Ducey says:

Romulus Apotheosis: .———“and a really nice look into the thinking with regard to Musil and Gernat.”this part just straight up pissed me off. Especially the dig at Gernat’s “mentality”… what does that mean. And followed right after with a comment about his size. Reminds me of a Gregor column early in the year that called out Gernat’s character for not putting on weight in the off-season. That makes no sense to me at all.And, putting Musil ahead of Gernat is silly. Goof-ball stuff.

Not sure how you can say this. Does Gernat have a higher upside than Musil? Yes. He has an offensive component that Musil will never have. I have not seen him play in the AHL, but I would bet he still has al lot of Phillip Larsen in him and struggles in his own end. I saw him play enough in the WHL to know he got banged around pretty good and had a lot of brain cramps. The AHL will be more physical.

If he has been put on a program to get stronger and isn’t following it, I can see the GM justifiably being upset at him.

I think I would have Musil ahead of Gernat at this point. This mirrors the verbal from Todd Nelson. Musil had a real nice year last year. He seemingly has the strength and understanding to be in position to make the jump for at least a few games this year. Then we will see if he has enough speed.

69. Racki says:

I haven’t seen Gernat since he was with Oil Kings and I’ll be honest, I can see where the organizations comments are coming from there. Bean pole. Looks like a strong wind would knock him over. Not sure if he muscled up any. Like it or not, you still need to be able to lean on guys in the NHL. I’m not saying you want a bunch of lumbering D men by any means though.

70. Racki says:

Markov off the table. 3 years at 5.75m aav. D just got pricier.

nycoil: ter depth an

I like Kulimen there to help with play without the puck.

Racki:
    Interesting. Hartnell and Umberger swap teams.

I guess that removes the Gagner for Umberger rumor. And i don’tthink that is so badeither.

Incorrect.

PHI is now putting together a massive package that includes Umberger, Coburn and both Schenns.

BOOK IT!

73. nycoil says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m
    Looks like Matt Greene is staying in LA. Work finishing up on a 4 year deal.

FOUR YEARS?!

Clarke, Holmgren, Hextall.

The players change but the tune remains the same because the Snider has been the guy paying the band the whole time.

75. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

That’s what’s worrying about Bruce Wayne’s Oilers.

76. blainer says:

nycoil:
    Woodguy,

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovski-Kulemin-Gagner
    Gordon-Perron-Yakupov
    Arcobello-Lander-Hendricks

That lineup is still too small for me. Maybe sub out Lander with Draisaitl and have him move up if he is doing well. Maybe in Gordon’s spot.

77. Rondo says:

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer · now
    Talks “On-going” between the Oilers and Nikita Nikitin’s camp…at this time

78. Bar_Qu says:

Rondo:
    Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer·now
    Talks “On-going” between the Oilers and Nikita Nikitin’s camp…at this time

This, along with the Matt Greene signing, is good news.

79. Melman says:

With Umberger Philly now has a ton of C, which means……?

80. kooler says:

Rumors of Griffin Reinhart…..what would it take to get him here.

81. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:
    Hartnell for Umberger and a 4th?

And we say that Gagner has no value?

Philadalphia – new GM, same old crazy.

This. I really think NHL GMs are the worst of the Major pro sports.

82. RexLibris says:

Melman: Rex

Lecavalier will be moved to a coaching gig? No, wait, that’s the Islanders.

83. nycoil says:

kooler,

Did you not read the part that says clearly he is untouchable?

84. G Money says:

I too have feared the idea of the Oilers signing Matt Greene to a high dollar long-term deal.

And yet … if the twumours are true, and he’s signing a four year deal with the Kings … it gives me pause.

You can hardly accuse the Kings of not being an astute team when it comes to player personnel.

So what is it that the defending Stanley Cup champions see in Greene that we (fans of the 8-years-out-of-the-playoffs perennially bottom-feeding Oilers) don’t?

85. VanOil says:

Alternate descriptions of the Defenders the Oilers are looking for as Defensive Defensmen and Puck Moving Defense Man should just be called Defensemen;

A Schultz baby sitter, until Klefbom is ready. My preference is Fayne but would accept Nitikin.

A better than Marincin, let the kid develop down the order. Kulikov would work, Campbell or Erhoff would work better.

86. Pouzar says:

nycoil:
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m
    Looks like Matt Greene is staying in LA. Work finishing up on a 4 year deal.

FOUR YEARS?!

Just when you think you know the answers….

87. Bag of Pucks says:

Ducey: Not sure how you can say this.Does Gernat have a higher upside than Musil?Yes. He has an offensive component that Musil will never have. I have not seen him play in the AHL, but I would bet he still has al lot of Phillip Larsen in him and struggles in his own end.I saw him play enough in the WHL to know he got banged around pretty good and had a lot of brain cramps.The AHL will be more physical.

I think I would have Musil ahead of Gernat at this point.This mirrors the verbal from Todd Nelson. Musil had a real nice year last year.He seemingly has the strength and understanding to be in position to make the jump for at least a few games this year.Then we will see if he has enough speed.

The Oilers still draft players like this. Why, I’ll never know. The Bruins avoid them like the plague.

88. kooler says:

nycoil,

Never say never….but I must of skimmed by that. I was wondering if trading spots with the NY’s 5 for our 3 and a NY’s 2nd round could happen?

Anahiem also 4 picks in the first two rounds. We are so short of picks. Like to see MacT pull off a 1 for 3 deal again.

See Gagner fitting in with the NYI?

89. Doomoil says:

Pouzar: This. I really think NHL GMs are the worst of the Major pro sports.

Not while Ruben Amaro is alive and running the Phillies.

90. Younger Oil says:

kooler:
    Rumors of Griffin Reinhart…..what would it take to get him here.

Do we even want a guy like Reinhart? It seems to my eye that we have an incredibly similar player in Musil (with less footspeed and leadership qualities though). Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse are better LD prospects than Reinhart IMO.

Final season in junior:

Reinhart: 45GP 4G 17A 21P (0.467 PPG), 55PIM, +20. 6’4” 202lb.
    Musil: 48GP 7G 16A 23P (0.479 PPG), 56PIM, +29. 6’4” 203lb.

That is about as close as you can get size and boxcar wise, and people around here aren’t too high on Musil.

I’m not sure if those numbers are good for Musil or bad for Reinhart though.

91. Younger Oil says:

Bag of Pucks: I don’t think Gernat will ever make the show. He’s an absolute rail and further to the post above, there’s a limit as how much weight/muscle you can reasonably expect this ‘ectomorph’ to add.

Gernat: 6’5” 191lb
    Marincin: 6’4” 187lb

Gernat is one year younger than Marincin too.

And Marincin has done pretty well for himself in the NHL and internationally.

92. Good-Natured Locomotive says:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but WJC Summer Camp invites came out today. Nurse is there obviously, but so is the EV Bandit, Mr. Chase.

93. borisnikov says:

G Money:

It’s the poison you know vs the one you haven’t yet tried.

That is the biggest difference between here and there. We (fans) know too much would be expected out of Greene in Oilers’ silks, much like Ference, and failure by him would be imminent. LA has the luxury of a Stanley cup team ahead of Greene in the batting order. If the Oilers can ever get to a point of having a team that wins consistenly, they too will be able to hide character guys like Greene without the worry of expecting them to do more than they’re able.

94. Rondo says:

I always wonder if Oilers ask Nurse, Chase, Kyle Platzer and others their thoughts on potential draft picks.

I would think player s has an unique opinion.

95. One-Timer says:

G Money:

Positioning. He’s not speedy or skilled, but he knows where to put himself to break up attacking plays. That’s all LAK ask of him, and he delivers.

96. Jordan says:

Rondo:
    I always wonder ifOilers ask Nurse, Chase and others their thoughts on potential draft picks.

I would thinkplayer s has an uniqueopinion.

97. One-Timer says:

Jordan: Maybe the Oilers have figured out that if you’re going to promote former players to management, it helps if you draft players who have a good eye for talent?

Or they could just draft them straight into management.

98. Racki says:

Woodguy: Incorrect.

BOOK IT!

In a 3 way deal that involves Weber, of course!

99. wintoon says:

Get the sense that Philly is setting the table for a big splash around the draft, which they are hosting. By acquiring Umberger they have increased their depth at C. Does this or could this mean theyare preparing to trade Couturier or Schenn for a draft pick or to move up significantly in the draft?

What scares me is a blockbuster involving the Oilers. If it happens, I hope that MacT has a case of the smarts. That #3 draft slot is very valuable for solving long term Oiler problems.

100. Kmart99 says:

nycoil: RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovski-Kulemin-Gagner
    Gordon-Perron-Yakupov
    Arcobello-Lander-Hendricks

I’d like to see Draisaitle in there somewhere… Maybe the C’s go 1RNH,2GRABO, 3DRAISAITL, 4GORDON, 5ARCO

I’ll be surprised if the grabo kulemin duo ends up in edmonton, but i’d be happy if it did.

101. Lois Lowe says:

It sure sounds like Florida is very high on Nylander or Ehlers to me. They seem to always be sitting in that 5-8 range, though part of me hopes it’s Ritchie for schadenfreude alone.

102. sliderule says:

Younger Oil: Gernat: 6’5” 191lb
    Marincin: 6’4” 187lb

Gernat is one year younger than Marincin too.

And Marincin has done pretty well for himself in the NHL and internationally.

On the oilers site
    Musil 6-3 198
    Nurse 6-3 192
    Gernat 6-3 197

On the nhl site two recent draftees
    Doug Hamilton 6-5 212
    J Trouba 6-2 187

Nelson pointed out that while Gernat is not thick he is very strong..

If Gernat doesn’t make it as an nhler it won’t be because of size..Mact might have commented about it to spur him to work harder to thicken up.

103. B.C.B says:

Racki,

“Vancouver. I believe it included their first pick in this draft (which is sixth overall) and Hunter Shinkaruk, who was taken 24th in 2013. There was at least one other piece, probably off the main roster”

Isn’t this good for the Oilers if Vancouver moves to first overall in the draft. I mean this because doesn’t it both increase the likelyhood of Ekblad falling to #3 overall? I think it would be likely that both Vancouver & Buffalo would want to draft a centre. Likely both Reinhart and Bennett going in the top two slots?

I do understand that it might be too tempting for the Oilers to draft Ekblad at #3 (being a defenseman and all). But I think teams like Toronto or Philadelphia would trip over each other to throw assets at Edmonton to draft the big D of their futures.

104. Bag of Pucks says:

sliderule: On the oilers site
    Musil 6-3 198
    Nurse 6-3 192
    Gernat 6-3 197

On the nhl site two recent draftees
    Doug Hamilton 6-5 212
    J Trouba6-2 187

Nelsonpointed out that while Gernat is not thick he is very strong..

If Gernat doesn’t make it as an nhler it won’t be because of size..Mact might have commented aboutit to spur him to work harder to thicken up.

Watch the Oil Change episode where they visit Gernat at home.

If he’s 197lbs, I’m the King of Siam.

105. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: Watch the Oil Change episode where they visit Gernat at home.

If he’s 197lbs, I’m the King of Siam.

I was walking from work and standing right next to Trouba outside MTS. The kid is much larger than 187 lbs that I can assure people. Take any published weights with a huge grain of salt.

106. Racki says:

B.C.B:
    Racki,

Isn’t this good for the Oilers if Vancouver moves to first overall in the draft.I mean this because doesn’t it both increase the likelyhood of Ekblad falling to #3 overall?I think it would be likely that both Vancouver & Buffalo would want to draft a centre. Likely both Reinhart and Bennett going in the top two slots?

I do understand that it might be too tempting for the Oilers to draft Ekblad at #3 (being a defenseman and all).But I think teams like Toronto or Philadelphia would trip over each other to throw assets at Edmonton to draft the big D of their futures.

I’d sooner see the #1 pick kept out east.

107. sliderule says:

Bag of Pucks: Watch the Oil Change episode where they visit Gernat at home.

If he’s 197lbs, I’m the King of Siam.

Do you guess weights by eye at the exhibition in your spare time?

108. stevezie says:

nycoil:
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m
    Looks like Matt Greene is staying in LA. Work finishing up on a 4 year deal.

FOUR YEARS?!

I’m not saying Lombardi is right, but it’s a good reminder that I might not be either.

109. wintoon says:

Great to see that both Nurse and Chase have been invited to the training camp for the WJC team. Speaks very well for the season Chase had that he was even included.

110. RexLibris says:

Rondo:
    I always wonder ifOilers ask Nurse, Chase,Kyle Platzer and others their thoughts on potential draft picks.

I would thinkplayer s has an uniqueopinion.

Maybe, but that would essentially mean tipping one’s draft table hand to prospects, many of whom are connected via social media and may not yet have the maturity to be discreet.

It isn’t necessarily a bad idea, especially in terms of on-ice issues like “hey, Greg (Chase) who was the one guy you played against that ticked you off the most?”, but I’d rank that level of information below much of the other intelligence gathered.

111. RexLibris says:

Pat Burns into the HHOF.

About freaking time. HOF board deserves to wear some egg on their faces here.

112. nycoil says:

stevezie,

I am 100% wrong 95% of the time.
    Surprised they are re-signing him, but in his role as a 6/7 on a great team with a mobile top 4 and with the likely cost to acquire a UFA D-Man this summer I guess I see it. I don’t see 4 years working out well for a 31-yr-old physical D with so-so skating.

Very glad the Oilers aren’t making that deal though, as Greene would no doubt have a bigger role on the Oilers, one he is unsuited for but for which he would have been paid.

113. Andy P says:

LMHF#1: Yeah, the Oilers certainly had LA’s forward roster during MacTavish’s tenure…come on man.

So all the coaches that let go of Mr Pancakes were wrong, eh.

edit: There’s been quite a lot of comment about Penner on this blog, he can play very well if he so chooses but too often takes his foot off the gas which drives coaches crazy. Tough to ca
    coach a team where you want 100% out of some players but not others, that impacts the whole team and remember Eamins puts particular emphasis on fitness.

114. stevezie says:

nycoil: I don’t see 4 years working out well for a 31-yr-old physical D with so-so skating.

Me neither. Can’t believe he is getting that term.

I think you’re right about the key- LA can insulate against Greene’s flaws a lot better than the Oil can, I can see that making his positives, such as they are, more desirable.

If I had just won a cup, my default move would be to change as little as possible. That said, Greene seemed like an obvious opportunity for improvement.

115. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m drinking my morning Earl Grey and getting caught up on the news-Umberger for Hartnell, and 4 years for Matt Greene..?

How long have I been asleep..?

Gregor with a new piece up at ON and mentions that Brodziak is being shopped-Mike Russo with an item here:

116. G Money says:

borisnikov: In LA Lombardi knows what Greene brings. He has clear cut expectations for him that suit his abilities (a part of the time at least). Greene is never, and will never be, expected to perform at a level above his ability.

Sure, I buy that line of reasoning. But there are two contrasts here:
    - “Lombardi … has clear cut expectations for him that suit his abilities …”
    vs those here saying something along the lines of
    - “Greene’s a bad hire at any price at any role.” – even as a Fraser replacement at 6D

Which creates the contrast – Greene’s good enough for Lombardi as a depth defenseman for LA, but not good enough for Edm?

117. Racki says:

nycoil:
    stevezie,

I am 100% wrong 95% of the time.

Definitely agree with your last paragraph. Matt Greene in Edmonton would be a heavily utilized, top 4 D man. Matt Greene in LA is just a reliable reserve player.

118. rickithebear says:

Racki: Thank you, Jesus

LAK D playoffs:

Mitchell +10 1st
    Muzzin +6 7th
    Greene +5 9th
    Voyonov +4 10th
    Doughty +2 22nd
    Martinez +1

EVGA rank of LKA D reg season.
    #4 Martinez 1.37 EVGA?60 3rd comp

#21 Nikitin 1.62 1st comp
    #71 Boyle 3.14 3rd comp
    #73 Niskanen 3.26 1st comp

119. jb says:

borisnikov:
    Crazy question…

Zero chance. Yak’s perceived current value combined with the value of draft picks on draft day means your shooting yourself in the foot doing something like that.

As I’ve said all along, we’ll likely see a 3rd for established pricey veteran player type deal if the offers right. If not happily draft the leftover C or Ekblad.

120. nycoil says:

rickithebear,

Doesn’t that say more about the team (LA) than it does the player? LAK had a filthy low GA overall this season. It’s not like they have 5 of the 10 best defenders in the league on their team.

121. rickithebear says:

G Money: Sure, I buy that line of reasoning.But there are two contrasts here:
    - “Lombardi … has clear cut expectations for him that suit his abilities …”
    vs those here saying something along the lines of

Remember now his Corsi does not justify bringing him to the oilers.
    That silly Lomabardi chasing the best EVGA/60 dmen he can get!
    I know greene is 6th best EVGA in league playing 3rds.
    Goals as a Measure!
    That is Crazy!
    We are better off getting high EVGA/60 dmen our forward lines will not be able to outscore.

Go corsi!

122. Racki says:

rickithebear: LAK D playoffs:

123. spoiler says:

Racki: Context, sir. As nycoil pointed out.. Greene comes here and he’s the blueline rock, not a 6/7 guy playing the other teams bottom units. LA kings can hide his foot speed. I’d love him here as a 6/7 guy too, but that wouldn’t be the case unless MacT had a very busy off season

You expected him to play more minutes than Petry or Schultz?

124. Racki says:

spoiler: You expected him to play more minutes than Petry or Schultz?

I expected him to play a lot of minutes.. Until I realized he was a RHD (just now) . My poor memory had him as a lefty. Oop. Would have been fine by me to have him as a 6 though, as I said if that was the plan.

stevezie: We’ve been rallying against the idea of signing Greene, but it’s interesting to me that a GM we don’t trust yet has been saved from making a bad move by the best GM in the league making that exact move first.

Greene had a big bounce back year in terms of his fancystats

Was a +4 RelCor on a very good team.

He plays the dregs, but he played them well.

There is a concern that Muzzin and Martinez were carrying him though.

Muzzin was Corsi monster this year.

stevezie: Me neither. Can’t believe he is getting that term.

Term is certainly an issue.

Shades of Lowe’s spending spree after making the SCF.

Staios’ contract in particular.

127. rickithebear says:

Lombardi the Genius said to him self.
    1.What is the desired Defensive outcome?
    - Have low GA.
    2. how well does matt greene do.
    top 30
    3. Is it repeatable
    top 30 last 3 healthy years.

I should keep that!

Mact tried to sign Mark fistric for 3 years.
    Anaheim signed him for 3 years.
    Everyone scofed at it.
    Mark Fistric
    1. Have low goals
    2. top 30
    3. 26th; 8th; 23rd

Mact not so dumb!

Corsi is not the simple truth!

128. spoiler says:

Thank Gord Lindros didn’t make the HOF class.

129. nycoil says:

Pens expecting to see Niskanen, Jokinen walk in free agency

130. borisnikov says:

G Money,

I’d take Greene over Faser. My bet is we’d still be dissapointed without there being a simultaneous change in dynamic at the top of the blue (and forward?) roster.

So Gare Joyce is saying the Oilers should take Ritchie.

I pointed out to him that the Oilers are deep at D prospects, have NHL level wingers, but lack C in the NHL and none in the system.

His response was that the OIlers need physical wingers.

Man.

132. Bag of Pucks says:

sliderule: Do you guess weights by eye at the exhibition in your spare time?

As to what kind of Defenseman he’d be at that size in the NHL?

I suspect it would be something like this… http://thecrossovertest.com/?p=504

133. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: Gernat is supposedly an inch taller than me and nearly the same weight? No bloody way. The kid looks like a poster boy for malnutrition.

Because you saw him on TV?

That can be a *tad* misleading.

For example, did you know that Prince in real life is only a foot and a half tall? True* story!

*Politician’s version.

134. G Money says:

Woodguy: His response was that the OIlers need physical wingers.

And he’s right.

Of course, there is the minor point that we need them but not *nearly* as bad as we need an NHL-calibre 2C and three NHL-calibre Top 4 D.

But yeah, we could use a physical winger here or there.

135. russ99 says:

G Money,

And we need NHL veteran physical wingers, not yet another Lucic hunt on draft day.

IMO, if we end up making a deal to move down it will be in return for an experienced NHL player, and the prospect we’d most likely target (if within his range) would be Ehlers.

No sale on dumping players like Yak for picks, kicking the rebuild another year down the road. Doesn’t seem like MacT’s M.O., more like Tambellini…

136. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money: Because you saw him on TV?

That can be a *tad* misleading.

For example, did you know that Prince in real life is only a foot and a half tall?True* story!

*Politician’s version.

Well, they say that tv adds 10-20lbs and I hadn’t even considered that until now. Seriously, the kid’s a waif.

I posted a link a while back quoting Chiarelli and how the Bruins use height to weight ratio as a very important factor in their draft criterion. I think it’s a smart approach.

Eakins is constantly talking about having a team that plays ‘heavy’ It’s important to remember that this isn’t nearly as much about height as it is about having the frame/mass required to consistently win puck battles along the boards and in the slots.

When you draft a player like Gernat, you’re already starting on the back foot, operating under this wishful thinking that the kid can steak and protein shake his way to sustainable mass. Unfortunately, there’s a limit as to how much we can manipulate basic physiology.

137. G Money says:

russ99: And we need NHL veteran physical wingers

Are you saying that any winger we draft at #3 will be at least a year from playing in the NHL and at least two years from contributing meaningfully?

DON’T DISTRACT ME WITH DETAILS, DAMN YOU!

138. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: having a team that plays ‘heavy’ It’s important to remember that this isn’t nearly as much about height

As I like to remind everyone I know … I’m NOT overweight, I’m undertall. And I play heavy. Also walk heavy, sit heavy, sleep heavy, etc.

139. borisnikov says:

rickithebear: LAK D playoffs:

EVGA rank of LKA D reg season.
    #4 Martinez 1.37 EVGA?60 3rd comp

Willie Mitchell 0.59
    Jake Muzzin 0.56
    Slava Voynov 0.22
    Matt Greene 0.13
    Andrew Campbell 0.00
    Robyn Regehr -0.20

Is a team full of +.13/60 goal differential guys going to win you a Cup or two? It undoubtedly helps having guys at the bottom of the roster who can keep pucks out of their team’s zone/net but you still have to outscore to win.

*edit* context: a team full of .13 guys would end up as a team outscoring 10 goals overall in a season

140. Pouzar says:

Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes 4m

141. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes4m

Let’s see how Justin Faulk does this year, shall we?

142. hags9k says:

One thing for sure, this place is going to see a lot of lineup revisions once Grabbo and Kulemin sign elsewhere.

143. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw, I was giving some further thought over the weekend to the discussion last week about shot distance/quality and the way in which it applies to assessing defensive defencemen.

It occurs to me that current focus of the analytic assessment of hockey, predominantly on ‘possession’ related stats, is missing a key part of the equation which is only partially addressed by zone starts (i.e. that of territorial advantage).

Obviously football breaks up far more readily into digestible linear data chunks, but there is some metrics used in that sport that indicate the types of data that may need more consideration in hockey.

Like hockey, football rates ‘time of possession’ as a worthy metric. Football stats however are much more concerned with territorial advantage, with the money shot metric, being scoring efficiency (i.e. output from the red zone).

At some point, I think we’ll start to marry possession and zone start data with scoring zone and scoring efficiency (i.e. territorial data), and at that point, we’ll start to get some even more meaningful output on coaching strategy and player effectiveness as they apply to the most crucial metrics of all (i.e. impact on the bottom line – the score of the game).

In particular, I was thinking of the 72 summit series and that classic contrast btw a Russian squad that looked to dominate possession time with the express purpose of maximizing eventual shot/scoring chance quality. Pundits argue that Team Canada by contrast, used a shoot from anywhere approach to maximize shot output and thus maximize their odds of scoring. In reality, what you have is both teams trying to establish territorial advantage (i.e. the closer the shot the better) with each simply taking different stylistic approaches as to how they accomplish that territorial advantage.

Think about it in these territorial/scoring distance terms and hockey becomes more comparable to football. The odds of scoring from the 1yd are much stronger than scoring from the 40 yd line just as the odds are much stronger of scoring from the slot than the point. Quantifying how teams/players establish, maintain and most importantly, leverage territorial advantage is I think much more revealing than time spent in the zone and/or shot production. Much more important is how that time is spent and those shots used.

Bottom line, we need a bloody chip in that pick.

144. Pouzar says:

Philadelphia Flyers ‏@NHLFlyers 2m
    BREAKING: The #Flyers have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract extension with center Brayden Schenn.

145. denny33 says:

Rondo,

I would think player s has an unique opinion.

****************************************************
    Great question – Darnell any thoughts on S. Bennet? Or Ekblad? Just two cents on playing against Bennett…..

146. Ducey says:

Pouzar: Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes 4mNEWS: #Canes add Steve Smith as assistant coach. Details: http://m.carhur.com/035bI

Didn’t they also add Rick Olczyk?

Who knew our cast off admin types would be so popular?

147. rickithebear says:

nycoil:

nycoil says:

June 23, 2014 at 2:24 pm

rickithebear,

5 of the 20 best Dman at keeping shots outside 25ft and shots inside 25 ft well below the shooting average.

using a line from the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer.

“there it is!”

148. Pouzar says:

Ducey: Didn’t they also add Rick Olczyk?

Who knew our cast off admin types would be so popular?

Yes they did. Must be connected.

149. denny33 says:

Pouzar,

Bag of Pucks: Watch the Oil Change episode where they visit Gernat at home.
    If he’s 197lbs, I’m the King of Siam.
    ***********************************************************************************************
    In addition, having watched game 1 of the NHL season last year against the Oilers top line…..I have to assume Jacob Bench Presses 300 pounds.

Either that, or RNH, Hall and Eberle. are not great at puck retrieval – watching them try to take a puck away from that teenager last year was pure comedy.

As an aside, Josh Morrissey looks like he will be another silly 1st round defenceman pick for the Jets. Played a key role in St. John’s advancing to AHL final….

Silly Jets – they keep wasting 1st round picks on defencemen.

150. VanOil says:

rickithebear,

Ricki is right there are a disturbing lack of Ice Hockey players from Iceland. Your move Calgary, draft away.

151. denny33 says:

wintoon,
    Well said….

Also, quite a few 2nd round picks from 2013 NHL entry draft invited as well…..

152. Bag of Pucks says:

Following on the last post about ‘territorial’ advantage and ‘scoring efficiency’ and how that type of data could be applied to hockey, we could look at a theoretical example of the optimal usage of Stephen Stamkos.

For instance, data may reveals that the average NHL shooter enjoys his greatest shooting percentage from directly in front of the net between the circles. However, data may also show us that gaining territorial advantage in that position is exceedingly difficult, particularly within enough time / window of opportunity to properly aim and release a shot. As a result, Tampa instead focuses offensive strategy around a scenario whereby Stamkos shoots from a slightly less optimal spot (say on the dot in the left circle) where his shooting accuracy marginally declines but where his odds of achieving territorial advantage (i.e. time and space to shoot) are significantly improved. In this instance, the territorial gain trumps the shot quality advantage to create the optimal scoring chance.

With metrics like this factored in, Eakins could consider where someone like Yak achieves the greatest scoring efficiency, and design set ‘pick’ plays to position Yak in those spots that clearly yield territorial advantage and strong scoring efficiency for him.

Using an approach like this, you could even design line combinations that combines players based on their primary scoring efficiency zones (i.e. combine a slot guy with a half wall guy with a rebound guy).

153. Racki says:

Schenn deal is pretty good for Philly. 2 years at a cap hit of 2.5m per

154. Pouzar says:

denny33:
    Pouzar,

Bag of Pucks: Watch the Oil Change episode where they visit Gernat at home.
    If he’s 197lbs, I’m the King of Siam.

Either that, orRNH, Hall and Eberle.are not great at puck retrieval– watching them try to take a puck away from that teenager last year was pure comedy.

Silly Jets – they keep wasting 1st round picks on defencemen.

According to the Icecap play-by-play guy Morrissey has looked great in the AHL playoffs. Great job of drafting there from a perceived, at the time, position of strength. Now they should have a nice forward to choose from at #9.

155. sliderule says:

Bag of Pucks: Well, at 6’4″ 200lbs, I’m a little on the thin side. Gernat is supposedly an inch taller than me and nearly the same weight? No bloody way. The kid looks like a poster boy for malnutrition.

As to what kind of Defenseman he’d be at that size in the NHL?

I suspect it would be something like this… http://thecrossovertest.com/?p=504

The oilers weigh their guys at start of training camp and I could see no reason for pumping up their weights.
    Hockey players have a lot of weight in their legs as that’s the area were most of their training time is spent on.

156. Racki says:

sliderule,

Gernat skips arm day

157. denny33 says:

G Money,

**************************************************************************
    No worries about finding 3 top 4 D – the oilers are *deep* on D…..

You have to respect the Oiler PR department….although, I am not even sure Mac T buys it…

Mac T:

This upcoming camp is very important for players like (David) Musil and (Martin) Gernat, who played in Oklahoma City last year. They **have** to show improvement.

158. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hahaha…

I had no idea Gernat’s frustrated detractors ran so deep.

Oh, the humanity of a non-thuggish defensemen.

hahaha.

never ends in Edmonton. never ends.

159. Gerta Rauss says:

denny33,

Would it be too much to ask for you to use the “quote” function on this blog…and you can highlight any portion of a comment and hit “quote” and it’ll just quote that portion you want to respond to.

copy/pasting and using the =========== keys or ******** keys doesn’t make things legible

I find it almost impossible to read your posts-and I’m not just talking about the content..:)

please and thanks
    Gerta

160. G Money says:

Pouzar:
    Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes4m

F**kin’ clever bastards. They obviously want McDavid something fierce.

161. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    hahaha…

I had no idea Gernat’s frustrated detractors ran so deep.

Oh, the humanity of a non-thuggish defensemen.

hahaha.

never ends in Edmonton. never ends.

This.

162. Zangetsu says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Thnk you. Oiler fans frustrate me to no end when it comes to large skilled players. Why isn’t penner getting 200pim? Gernat plays with a lot of chaos, but I haven’t heard any concerns over him getting knocked off the puck or pushed around. More weight would be nice, but that’s not what makes or breaks him.
    I love gernat. Would love to see him and marincin on the 2nd pairing. Probably isn’t a callup option until 2015 fall, but I thought the same of marincin last year. Very similar players following a similar path.

163. Zangetsu says:

Bag of Pucks,

Idiots drafting 6’5 near ppg dmen in the fifth round. Why don’t they just draft Saad or lucic? Fire them all.