CODA GORDON

This is Coda Gordon. He was selected in the sixth round of the 2012 Entry Draft by the Calgary Flames. I liked him, said so at the time.

• L Coda Gordon: An impressive goal scorer who lacks size and is not a speed merchant. I have no idea where he goes in the draft but man he’s an interesting offensive prospect.

The post is here and the comments thread is fun, too. I’m hoping the Oilers draft him and he scores 50 in Oklahoma City, but that may not happen. He had two pretty good seasons in Swift Current after the draft, one hopes we’ll see him land somewhere.

The Oilers didn’t sign Daniil Zharkov, but they claim to retain his rights (this from Matty). The nature of the CBA is that even their own teams sometimes screw up on the rules, so don’t be surprised if the Red Wings take Zharkov in the seventh round and he gathers up five Stanley Cup rings in the 20s with Detroit.

Erik Gustafsson was also not signed, he becomes a free agent. The Oilers picks from 2012 are:

• Nail Yakupov, NHL player.
  • Mitchell Moroz, just signed pro contract and won Memorial Cup with the Oil Kings.
  • Jujhar Kharia, also signed pro and impressed in short stint with AHL Barons.

Joey Laleggia, John McCarron are NCAA players with time left and Zharkov is in limbo as an Oiler.

The good news: there’s room for Coda Gordon!

Other highlights:

• Lukas Sutter, selected by Winnipeg, did not sign. This makes me chuckle, because many were wildly unhappy about Moroz but loved Sutter.
  • Francis Beauvillier, a Florida center, re-enters. He’s not alone. Florida drafted five guys in 2012, three re-enter. Lordy.

I hope the Oilers draft or sign Coda Gordon. That’s one of the coolest hockey names I’ve ever seen.

28 Responses to "CODA GORDON"

1. thejonrmcleod says:

With a name like Coda, I wonder if his parents were musicians and he was their final child.

thejonrmcleod:

Music!

3. cabbiesmacker says:

A guy I think the Oilers could go after is Hawk prospect Kevin Hayes. Nice player and nice year at BC. Rumours are that he’s po’d at the Hawks for some reason and won’t sign there. Not sure if that means he falls back into the draft or not but I don’t think so.

He’s played some C and he definitely brings some size..

Brady Vail also didn’t sign. Agree with CS above.

5. spoiler says:

Damn I was hoping for Alyssa Milano and Raquel Welch (Chicago girl) in a GBT for our Conference pennant. Don’t care about missing the GBT so much, but on the other hand Alyssa MIlano and Raquel Welch!!

The pennant post goes up later tonight, as an aside.

7. spoiler says:

That makes Hayes a UFA shortly, doesn’t it?

spoiler:
    That makes Hayes a UFA shortly, doesn’t it?

right away here

9. spoiler says:

Well scoring first hasn’t helped much in this series, but I’d still rather play LA with a lead.

10. spoiler says:

Hayes had a really nice year but his college production is behind say Brock Nelson’s or Colin Wilson’s–two guys I can speak about because we have looked at them recently.

There’s some danger… Is his non-signing due to wanting an NHL roster spot guaranteed? Is it because he only wants to play for Boston? We will know soon enough I guess, but he certainly is a player of interest.

11. justDOit says:

Yes! Carter!

How sad is it that I’m cheering for LA? Just… really…

12. spoiler says:

I think that was one of those calls where it was going to stay with whatever was called on the ice. I couldn’t make a convincing argument either way from the replays.

13. Bar_Qu says:

This is the SCF, no doubt about it. The best two teams left in it.

14. Ripoux says:

On the Justin Williams goal, Jarret Stoll was the straw that stirred that drink with a brilliant dump in and forecheck which netted LA possession.

15. spoiler says:

What a game of bounces this has been.

16. VanOil says:

What I have learned from this series;

Those who think replacing Gagner with Grabovski and Kulemin is the answer are crazy.

The Oilers may rebuild too 2006 levels by 2016. Shame that the game has got better since then. Wow these two teams are good.

17. spoiler says:

VanOil: To keep up with either of these teams the Oilers would need to add Grabovski and Kulemin while keeping Gagner and drafting Draitsaitl. Not to mention adding Kulikov and Fayne on the backend. Even then these two ‘Total Hockey’ teams are a class above every where but in goal.

I don’t think anyone is thinking we can catapult the Oilers into Cup contenders this off-season.

A note on Fayne: he just had surgery to repair the core muscles on the left side of his groin.

18. supernova says:

Coda Gordon is interesting.

From the seen him file, I have seen him probably 10 ish times over the last couple of years, and watched him closely a few times.

To me he was completely non descript. Of the games I have seen he is seemingly a perimeter player that doesn’t really play the body, or forecheck hard or have great speed but he does seem to find the odd goal. In those games I seen he was a complete non factor but left with a goal and assist a few times but his team lost though.

I would be ok with a signing but to me he isn’t worth a draft pick.

19. nycoil says:

It doesn’t get much better than these two in sudden death in game 7, except if this were officially for the Cup instead of just unofficially.

20. cabbiesmacker says:

nycoil:

Only thing better would be someone who has a clue what player wears what number calling the game.

Bob Cole….dodder….dodder… Pull the plug Bob. Please.

21. cabbiesmacker says:

VanOil:

To keep up with either of these teams you’d have to give the Oilers 6 free picks from the players on both rosters.

22. VanOil says:

spoiler: I don’t think anyone is thinking we can catapult the Oilers into Cup contendersthis off-season.

23. VanOil says:

cabbiesmacker: To keep up with either of these teams you’d have to give the Oilers 6 free picks from both rosters.

Does that include coaching staff as well?

24. Andy P says:

One of the two coaching staffs – lock stock and barrel too.

25. spoiler says:

VanOil: So are you saying that Fayne is as good buy low option or a new Whitney? Fayne for Ference money would seem like a reasonable risk to me.

Don’t know which he will be, but injuries are a caution. Should make him easier to sign though.

26. spoiler says:

And another unbelievable bounce.

27. cabbiesmacker says:

VanOil: Does that include coaching staff as well?

Cmon now. Don’t be greedy. I think Doughty, Keith, Toews, Kane, and Kopitar is being more than generous

28. shawnmullin says:

Coda Gordon’s primary skill is hockey sense. He’s not necessarily a guy who stands out in drills but a player who outthinks and out-anticipates his opponents. He knows where to be, he seems to knwo where the play was going and he can see the ice very well. His defensive game improved a lot and his skiating had come on significantly in the first half before he got hurt and that nagged him down the stretch. He has shown he can be a goal scorer and his playmaking/passing might actually be his best skill.

I never bet against a player with good hockey sense.