This is Coda Gordon. He was selected in the sixth round of the 2012 Entry Draft by the Calgary Flames. I liked him, said so at the time.
- L Coda Gordon: An impressive goal scorer who lacks size and is not a speed merchant. I have no idea where he goes in the draft but man he’s an interesting offensive prospect.
The post is here and the comments thread is fun, too. I’m hoping the Oilers draft him and he scores 50 in Oklahoma City, but that may not happen. He had two pretty good seasons in Swift Current after the draft, one hopes we’ll see him land somewhere.
The Oilers didn’t sign Daniil Zharkov, but they claim to retain his rights (this from Matty). The nature of the CBA is that even their own teams sometimes screw up on the rules, so don’t be surprised if the Red Wings take Zharkov in the seventh round and he gathers up five Stanley Cup rings in the 20s with Detroit.
Erik Gustafsson was also not signed, he becomes a free agent. The Oilers picks from 2012 are:
- Nail Yakupov, NHL player.
- Mitchell Moroz, just signed pro contract and won Memorial Cup with the Oil Kings.
- Jujhar Kharia, also signed pro and impressed in short stint with AHL Barons.
Joey Laleggia, John McCarron are NCAA players with time left and Zharkov is in limbo as an Oiler.
The good news: there’s room for Coda Gordon!
- Lukas Sutter, selected by Winnipeg, did not sign. This makes me chuckle, because many were wildly unhappy about Moroz but loved Sutter.
- Francis Beauvillier, a Florida center, re-enters. He’s not alone. Florida drafted five guys in 2012, three re-enter. Lordy.
I hope the Oilers draft or sign Coda Gordon. That’s one of the coolest hockey names I’ve ever seen.