DEALING YAKUPOV

In conversation today with readers and listeners, BY FAR the most popular subject was Nail Yakupov’s future. At the beginning of today’s Lowdown, I talked about the idea of trading for No. 5 overall from the Islanders—without giving up No. 3. My theory was that if Edmonton could walk away with Ekblad and a quality forward prospect, that’s a helluva haul for the draft.

Now, to get No. 5 overall from the Islanders, you’re going to have to give up something very good. A few of you I spoke to this afternoon feel Nail Yakupov is the guy to be dealt, and I wanted to explain why it’s not something I would do at this time.

1. The Oilers don’t know what Nail Yakupov is yet. It’s a very dangerous thing, trading away a lottery player who hasn’t reached maturity. Kyle Turris would be a recent example of this, he’s 24 now and an absolute killer. Could Ottawa get David Rundblad and Anthony Stolarz for him today? Hell yes. The hockey world is running around today talking about Jason Spezza like he’s Ottawa’s No. 1 center, but I would invite you to look again.
  2. You’re moving back the cluster one more time. The Dustin Penner trade (as an example) allowed Edmonton to draft Oscar Klefbom, and these years later you’d probably want the Swede’s future over Penner’s. However, you’ve given up so much in real-time (2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14) waiting for some time in the future. It’s a bad day, it’s an admission that the rebuild continues. At this point, it’s a noxious move for this reason alone.
  3. The organization will have dashed a wonderful new artery of talent from Russia. They’ve drafted a giant man in Bogdan Yakimov from the same town, from the same culture as Yak City, and he’s on the way. They’ve also draft Slepyshev, a brilliant offensive player who may be the finest winger in the system at this time.

Those are my reasons. That said, if the Oilers want to change Yakupov out because the fit doesn’t work, that’s something we don’t really know (because we don’t really know the culture of the team). It is very hard to see anything positive from here. The Glory Oilers had some differing lifestyles, and that’s for sure.

I am hopeful there’s room for Yakupov on this Edmonton Oiler team. This Canadian adores him.

142 Responses to "DEALING YAKUPOV"

Apparently when enigmatic Russians get the Sophmore jinx it means they have no heart and should be traded.

This is the kid who came over to play CHL hockey as it was a stepping stone to his goal of playing in the NHL.

This is the kid who broke Stamkos’ rookie scoring record in the OHL.

This kid will be the goods.

Trading him for a picks is giving up on a player of pure skill and desire that doesn’t come around often.

Certainly not in this draft.

He’s got a lot to learn, but the desire to be the best isn’t among it.

2. PDO says:

Trading Yakupov is beyond idiotic unless it’s for a few select players.

As you said; we don’t know what he is.

Know what he might be?

A 50 goal scorer.

So the only way you can trade him – the ONLY way you can trade him – is if that’s the value you get back.

That means you get PK Subban for Yakupov being the main piece. Or OEL. Or Pietrangelo.

Seriously. You get a player like that back or you say the hell with it. Dealing him for anything less (and ESPECIALLY for magic beans) is insanity.

Nail Yakupov, at 18, scored 17 goals in 48 games. That’s a 29 goal pace. At 18. Did he have some shooting luck? Sure.

Don’t care.

18 years old and he was at a 30 goal pace. He already has one of the best one timers in the league. He’s not shy of the rough stuff and he can skate above average.

He had no confidence and had a poor year. It’s happened to hundreds of kids who went onto fantastic NHL careers.

Trading him for a shiny draft pick is something the 2000 Islanders would do.

3. spoiler says:

101 points in his 17 yr old season. 1.55 pts per game. That’s ahead of Stamkos and Hall at that age. These things take some time to reveal themselves–some draftees are more NHL ready than others. He’s played a season and a half. We definitely do not yet know what we have here. I’m not saying he’s going to light it up more than Stamkos (or even the same)*. But we could have magic in that lantern and it behooves us to polish it as much as we need to before we just wish it well and pass it on to the next GM.

*His 18 yo season doesn’t fit that trajectory.

4. Glock9 says:

Trading Yak would be the final straw for me. Don’t care who it’s for, blah blah blah…Let this boy grow before making any decisions on him.

5. Wolfpack says:

After a ton of back-and-forth, I would be okay with trading Yak, but not for a draft pick. The return would need to be a player that contributes to winning hockey right now. The goal should be to shorten the rebuild, not extend it. Like the Perron trade. That should be the model for Oiler trades for the next few seasons. In my mind, trading Yak would have nothing to do with his nationality or his desire to be a great player. It would only be about making the Oilers a better team RFN.

I’ve noticed that the fans that follow the team closely tend to value our players (especially our draft picks) very highly. There always seems to be a big “gulp” moment when we think about trading guys we’ve invested time and energy in following. But man, at some point this team has to get better. If this was 2009 I would not dream of trading a player like Yak, but seven years of suck has changed my attitude quite a bit…

6. gd says:

It makes no sense to trade Yak at this point based on where his value would be right now. One of the biggest hopes for Ramsey coming in is he will improve the fundementals of the team and if he is the right hire, than guys like Yak will only be more valuable after a better year for the franchise. If his PP scheme can help a guy like Garrison a $4.6 Mill contract I’ve got to hope he can figure how to get Yak some shots on our PP.

I am hopeful that LD will be a great fit with Yak. I hope we get someone like Grabo (or even Jokinen) as a second line C who will work with Yak for the years until LD is ready for 2nd line duty. Hopefully we can make this a good franchise for Russians with the other Yak and maybe Kulikov/Kulemin/Nikitin being part of a solid core.

7. gr8one says:

PDO:
    Trading Yakupov is beyond idiotic unless it’s for a few select players.

As you said; we don’t know what he is.

Know what he might be?

A 50 goal scorer.

That means you get PK Subban for Yakupov being the main piece.Or OEL.Or Pietrangelo.

Seriously.You get a player like that back or you say the hell with it.Dealing him for anything less (and ESPECIALLY for magic beans) is insanity.

Nail Yakupov, at 18, scored 17 goals in 48 games.That’s a 29 goal pace.At 18.Did he have some shooting luck?Sure.

Don’t care.

18 years old and he was at a 30 goal pace.He already has one of the best one timers in the league.He’s not shy of the rough stuff and he can skate above average.

He had no confidence and had a poor year.It’s happened to hundreds of kids who went onto fantastic NHL careers.

Trading him for a shiny draft pick is something the 2000 Islanders would do.

This….THIS!

8. PDO says:

The other thing that never gets mentioned in regards to trading Yakupov; is that these are mostly the same voices who screamed we had to trade Hemsky because we had too much of the same.

So… Hemsky is gone. There are 4 skilled wingers on the team: Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and Perron.

Even for the “making a hockey team is like baking a cake and you need some eggs and some sugar and some cream cheese” crowd – that’s a damn good mix of top 6 wingers.

If you trade Yakupov, we’re suddenly deficient in top 6 skill, and given we have nothing to show for Hemsky, and will likely have nothing to show in a Yakupov trade, how the hell does that make any sense?!

9. kb says:

Does gagner + Schultz get this done.
    I personally don’t think Schultz has the defensive chops to play anything more than 3rd line minutes and he may still have more value than that? Gagner is on his way out for a bag of pucks…

End up with ekblad and delcolle?
    Or draisaitl and delcolle?

Let the rebuild continue!

10. Racki says:

To me, trading Yakupov isn’t a bad idea.. but trading Yakupov for some more dice rolls on a prospect.. that doesn’t strike me as a good idea. If we took Yakupov and traded him for a d-man or centreman who already is a proven talent, I’d do it. But that isn’t something that will happen, because who’d trade those kinds of players?

But yah, as much as I’d love to have a guy like Ekblad on the Oilers, he comes with his own risks (perhaps even larger) as with any of the other top prospects. I’d rather just stick with the devil we know, which actually seems to be a pretty good player who just had a bad year last year under a new coach and new systems.

kb:
    Does gagner + Schultz get this done.

End up with ekblad and delcolle?
    Or draisaitl and delcolle?

Let the rebuild continue!

12. bucknuck says:

I am feeling trepidation with respect to BOLD moves this summer. There is a lot of negativity because of past failure, but if a bunch of these kids all turn a corner at the same time it could be an amazing year. What if RNH and Yakupov and Marinicn and Petry and Schultz all progress. Doesn’t that immediately make this team better.

I would HATE for the them to blow this up just when it was about to work. Keep the hand off the panic button please.

Solid goaltending can make up for a lot of errors, and bolstering the coaches with Ramsay has made me feel much more confident.

13. Racki says:

bucknuck,

I don’t think they have to / should move those flashy guys…. they just need to finally surround them with good players. I think a lot of that can be taken care of in free agency if MacT gets busy and guys look past the 8 years of suck we’ve seen here.

There are a lot of holes to plug here though, so it could be tricky. But in MacT I trust.

14. Pouzar says:

I don’t agree with trading Yak for the reason that his trade value is too low. But I am nowhere as bullish on his abilities as some here. Not sure the Hockey IQ is there with this kid.

I also said the cup final would go 7

15. spoiler says:

I would rather see Schultz go for an established Dman. Say for Letang, if you’re willing to taking on the the injury risk. Trading a player for picks once again moves the cluster back. Trading two players for a pick is crazzzyyy.

And as a corollary, relying on any of the draft picks to fill present roster holes also holds up the present cluster.

Has to be real players coming in.

Flip 3rd for B. Schenn and 17th. Flip 17th for Boychuk and 25th. Trade Gagner for CAR 2nd and 3rd and add the 3rd to the last deal if needs be. Will still have two picks in the top 40. And will have added Boychuk and switched Gagner for Schenn.

I’m okay if we pick 3rd overall, that’s fine, but there had better be other solutions incoming.

16. PDO says:

Pouzar: Quote

Pouzar:

I also said the cup final would go 7

What was Brett Hull’s hockey IQ?

He finds soft ice and he can wire it.

17. bucknuck says:

Racki,

I’m with you Racki. I feel trust for MacT because he keeps on doing smart things. He recognized the goalie problem and fixed it. He stated that we don’t need anymore bottom pairing defenders (thank god) and was looking for a top end one or nothing at all. He mentioned size in the top nine.

My only big concern is the pugilist love affair. i hope they keep their eye on puck possession, but that begins with defense which has been a huge problem.

If I had to pick my biggest fear, it would be to trade Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom, or Petry. Everyone talks about how long it takes for defense to mature, but the fans in Oil country don’t seem to internalize it. They run good defensemen out of town just as they are figuring it out. Gilbert is a good example of that. If I had to protect four players on the team, my list would be Hall, RNH, Scrivens, and Petry.

That’s right, I said Petry. He’s going to be a top pairing defender, he just had the job too damn early and was exposed too often without a good mentor on the other side.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Draft-1 year Yakupov: 1.03 ES PPG.
    Draft year: 0.95 ES PPG

I don’t know if he dipped in the second season due to injury or anything. And, that is a drop. But, regardless… these are impressive numbers (esp. the draft-1).

19. Racki says:

Did Craig Simpson get hired on somewhere in a coaching capacity?

Ron MacLean just said something like “I don’t know what job he wants, but he’s got one job.. coaching..next year”.

… fearing another OBC moment. But maybe he was just making a joke and it sailed over my head.

20. Racki says:

bucknuck:
    Racki,

I’m with you Racki.I feel trust for MacT because he keeps on doing smart things.He recognized the goalie problem and fixed it.He stated that we don’t need anymore bottom pairing defenders (thank god) and was looking for a top end one or nothing at all.He mentioned size in the top nine.

My only big concern is the pugilist love affair.i hope they keep their eye on puck possession, but that begins with defense which has been a huge problem.

If I had to pick my biggest fear, it would be to trade Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom, or Petry.Everyone talks about how long it takes for defense to mature, but the fans in Oil country don’t seem to internalize it.They run good defensemen out of town just as they are figuring it out.Gilbert is a good example of that.If I had to protect four players on the team, my list would be Hall, RNH, Scrivens, and Petry.

That’s right, I said Petry.He’s going to be a top pairing defender, he just had the job too damn early and was exposed too often without a good mentor on the other side.

I’m with you on Petry. I’ve liked him since he was drafted (so much I actually watched some of his College games).

I admit I’m guilty of not being Schutlz’s biggest fan, but I wouldn’t just trade him off for anything. I’d only move him if a very proven d-man comes back. But I wouldn’t want to mortgage the future on a trade like that. Basically, in a roundabout way, not my favorite player, but I wouldn’t move him for anything that can realistically be done.

Also, I’m a big fan of the pugilistic arts, thus my name/avatar, however I realize that kind of player is long dead in today’s NHL. I want guys that can play the game. I still want guys that can fight, but we only need one or two, and they have to be able to play a shift without looking out of place. No MacIntyres.. no Engellands even.

21. kb says:

I wonder what it takes to get nashvilles pick? Or around there? Pick up Ritchie or perlini or Virtanen?

22. Pouzar says:

bucknuck:
    I am feeling trepidation with respect to BOLD moves this summer.There is a lot of negativity because of past failure, but if a bunch of these kids all turn a corner at the same time it could be an amazing year.What if RNH and Yakupov and Marinicn and Petry and Schultz all progress.Doesn’t that immediately make this team better.

I would HATE for the them to blow this up just when it was about to work.Keep the hand off the panic button please.

Voice of reason. I like it.

23. blainer says:

Pouzar:

I also said the cup final would go 7

I feel the same way about Yak and don’t think he is gonna be that great player everyone is expecting here. I really hope everybody is seeing something I am missing. I keep wondering do we have a Filatov or Zheredev or do we have Stamkos. I disagree that his value is extremely low and think he could be packaged with another player for a decent return. ..however… if we wait to see what we have and it is Zheredev or Filatov …we are getting nothing in return as by that time the entire league will also know. I will have to drink the koolaid and count on him proving me wrong. I just wish I had been wrong about Gagner too.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Draft-1 year Yakupov: 1.03 ES PPG.
    Draft year: 0.95 ES PPG

He was killing it midseason and then was injured (knee)

25. kb says:

On top of my last post, I know draft picks aren’t the answer, I just worry we trade gagner and/or a young d man for more facepunchers…

26. Pouzar says:

PDO:
    What was Brett Hull’s hockey IQ?

He finds soft ice and he can wire it.

Come on man.

Pouzar:

I also said the cup final would go 7

And that’s a point too. I would wait a year because it’s certain his value will increase, and will bet it’s enough to convince MacT to keep him.

28. PDO says:

Pouzar: So this is where I say “you have Yak as a Hall of Famer now?”…see how silly this can get?
    Come on man.

No, but it’s not impossible either.

The guy can wire the puck like nobody I’ve ever seen wear an Oiler jersey. He’ll pick pucks out of the air on one T’s that are harder than guys like Eberle can shoot when they lean into it on a platter. It’s ridiculous.

His hockey IQ doesn’t need to be the best in the world, he just needs to find the soft ice. He can do that.

29. PDO says:

As LT says… what is the hardest thing in the NHL to do?

Score goals.

Nail Yakupov scores goals that most guys in the NHL can only dream of. One shot scorer. Teams dream of guys that can shoot the puck like him.

And we’re going to give up on the guy who shoots the puck like that at 19 because of “Hockey IQ?” Really?

30. D says:

Bad organizations would trade Yakupov. We’ve suffered this long in the rebuild, if, as Bucknuck mentioned, it’s about to get good, why the rush to move players?

31. VanOil says:

Nail Yakupov is the reason I occasionally pay money to watch an NHL games live.

He is a remarkable talent. It still boggles my mind that he was not Eakins favorite player on the team. Can we send Eakins to coach at the HC Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk summer camp to gain some cultural appreciation?

As Eakins has stated before they are joined at the hip, if Eakins fails this player he fails as an NHL coach.

32. spoiler says:

PDO:
    What was Brett Hull’s hockey IQ?

Well for one I’m pretty sure Brett pronounced it Hockey Ick.

33. spoiler says:

I was beginning to think Quick had made a Faustian pact with Mephistopheles.

34. Pouzar says:

PDO:
    As LT says… what is the hardest thing in the NHL to do?

Score goals.

Nail Yakupov scores goals that most guys in the NHL can only dream of.One shot scorer.Teams dream of guys that can shoot the puck like him.

And we’re going to give up on the guy who shoots the puck like that at 19 because of “Hockey IQ?”Really?

Wow.

35. PDO says:

Pouzar: Wow.

Astute argument.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: He was killing it midseason and then was injured (knee)

I knew he was injured… but I didn’t realize how ugly the pre/post splits were.

regardless that draft-1 year means that if the Oilers screw this up… we’ll be choking on bile for the rest of our lives.

this was encouraging though… (I saw some daylight in the year ender)

And, I mean the knee-jerk reaction is to, ok bring in, continually fire somebody and bring somebody else in but at what point are we responsible to continue the development of the group that we have?

and this:

[On Yakupov, but I want to highlight the point broadly] There’s lots of upside in Nail and it’s up to us and our organization to get that from him.

37. Henry says:

PDO:

Trading him for a shiny draft pick is something the 2000 Islanders would do.

This is so right.

The new Islanders are in panic mode and traded their struggling 5thOV from 2010 and their shot at McDavid for Cal Clutterbuck and 50 games of Vanek.

In 5 months.

Probably best not to be too bold with Yakupov. Just think about what Mike and Garth would do.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:
    I was beginning to think Quick had made a Faustian pact with Mephistopheles.

regression to a lesser demon.

39. PDO says:

I’d love nothing more than Brad Richards scoring the game winner on the PP 4 straight games and Quick getting lit up 4 straight games.

40. VanOil says:

This clip from my second favorite Tartar sums up how I feel about Yakupov for picks trades:

You brought two too many

41. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: regression to a lesser demon.

His goalie stick was thrown to him by that watery tart, The Lady of the Lake?

42. RexLibris says:

I had mentioned the topic of trading Yakupov in relation to the chatter about Tallon shopping the 1st overall pick this year and needing a sniper-scoring winger.

Not that I think this is a good idea, but the topic at least needs to be raised if only to be soundly put down.

Personally, I don’t trade Yakupov until we are at least facing his RFA stage, when there is a clearer picture of performance and potential. Doing otherwise is madness and I have no concern over MacTavish pursuing this unless he felt there was real and fair value returning.

On another note: Toronto? Nope. Vancouver? Nope. Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa? No, Nyet, Nada.
    Edmonton? Heck, yeah. Best in North America http://www.epl.ca/libraryoftheyear
    Not to brag, rest of Canada, but we’re kind of a big deal.

43. Pouzar says:

PDO: Astute argument.

44. nycoil says:

Please, sir, have a look at the interview with Tallon I posted in the previous thread, and also the Arthur Staple tweet from Newsday regarding the Isles and #5 before you post your article tomorrow. I think both are pertinent considering the quality of the sources. Thanks!

45. gr8one says:

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 6m
    Told Edmonton is frontrunner for Bob Nicholson.

That, via twitter…

in what role? Isn’t this kind of a “holy shit?” development?

Would he be GM, or possibly Klowe’s replacement?

Intriguing.

46. Racki says:

gr8one: THNKenCampbell

47. PDO says:

Pouzar: And what genius have you offered up? He could be a 50 goal scorer? That’s why he can’t be traded UNLESS that’s the VALUE you get in return? He has one of the best one timers in the league he just needs to find the soft ice? Look man, I am wrong a TON, but bring something else to the table and at least read my posts before you crap on them. I said trading Yakupov would be the wrong move AND I didn’t think his IQ was that high.

See, you’re coming in like a ball of fire and then being defensive. Tough to have a good conversation that way.

You know who was accused of having bad hockey sense at the same age Yakupov is? Taylor Hall. In fact, a large part of the fan base wanted to trade him. Over half the fan base would have told you Eberle was and always would be better.

This is the best hockey league in the world, and their experience is less than 100 NHL games and seasons of Junior where they were the runaway best player on their team. There’s a learning curve.

I’ve pointed out an elite tool Yakupov has.

Oh, and you know who was credited with having amazing hockey sense until the last 2 or 3 years?

Sam Gagner.

48. nycoil says:

Here is the Tallon interview again.
    From 2:30 on is the good stuff. He wants a scorer like Kane.

Very likely we see some trades within the top 5 this year.

49. Racki says:

PDO:

Sam Gagner.

Damn it, I totally guessed the answer was Jaroslav Pouzar!

50. spoiler says:

Racki: Also from Ken Campbell: Am told Bob Nicholson has offers from Washington, Edmonton and Vancouver to be CEO

Wow. Are you sure? Does Nicholson have six, SIX! Cups?

51. nycoil says:

My friend just sent me a photo he took of Benning talking with Crawford this evening.

52. gr8one says:

gr8one:
    Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell6mMoreTold Edmonton is frontrunner for Bob Nicholson.

That, via twitter…

in what role? Isn’t this kind of a “holy shit?” development?

Would he be GM, or possibly Klowe’s replacement?

Intriguing.

Man…the more I think of it, he’d have to be KLowe’s replacement, no?

Man, if that happens, between the movement of Bucky/Smith and the arrival of legit help for Eakins like Ramsay and __________, this summer could truly be the the rudder this organization needs.

Add a savvy trade or two and a couple of good deckhands via UFA and those sails might be billowing before we know it!

Alas, getting ahead of myself aren’t I?

And aye Rack, I saw that too.

53. OilFire says:

Dreger’s twitter feed has a link a tsn video clip where he says Bob Nicholson will be “above the level of President, below the level of owner” for an NHL team. Clip must be before the tweet about Edmonton being the front runner.

54. Big Dan says:

Did he suck last year? Yes.

Was it all Eakins’ fault, like so many Oiler fans say? No, he sucked.

Do I think they will trade Yakupov? No.

Do I want them to trade Yakupov? No.

Do I love the guy? Yes.

Do I think he will be better next year, with a better coach & #2 center … and the sophomore jinx out of the way? Yes.

I think this sentiment is shared by most Oiler fans.

That being said, I don’t think that trading Yakupov for either of the top four of this draft would be a tragedy. I think either of Reinhart, Drasaitl, Bennett, or Ekblad will be his equal in the long run.

I’m hoping an experienced, defensively strong C like M.Richards or Lecavalier (heck, I’d settle for B.Richards) for a reasonable price + Perron on his LW will set Yak up for success. And shut all those stupid haters up.

Also, for all those fans clamoring for a Pisani type on RW, if that’s not possible, you can acquire a good 3C instead if the opportunity presents itself. Boyd Gordon can play RW.

55. spoiler says:

Racki: Did Craig Simpson get hired on somewhere in a coaching capacity?

I re-wound, and MacLean did say exactly that.

Y’know, Jamie Salé and Simpson live in… Edmonton.

Could we end up having two new assistants and a new President/CEO?

56. Racki says:

gr8one: Man…the more I think of it, he’d have to be KLowe’s replacement, no?

Alas, getting ahead of myself aren’t I?

And aye Rack, I saw that too.

He would be Patrick LaForge’s replacement, by the sounds of it.

57. spoiler says:

OilFire:
    Dreger’s twitter feed has a link a tsn video clip where he says Bob Nicholson will be “above the level of President, below the level of owner” for an NHL team.Clip must be before the tweet about Edmonton being the front runner.

Ahh, that makes more sense. President/CEO of Rexall Sports Corporation. Not the POHO.*

*said with the same inflection as “not the Mama” from the TV show Dinosaurs.

58. Racki says:

spoiler: I re-wound, and MacLean did say exactly that.

Y’know, Jamie Salé and Simpson live in… Edmonton.

Could we end up having two new assistants and a new President/CEO?

What kind of vibe did you get from that? I kind of almost thought it sounded like “oops, I just spilled the beans!”. But maybe I read too much into that whole thing. Guess we’ll know when Simpson accepts his job as an assistant here :P

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dreger said nicholson would be btw “pres” and “owner”

if the Oilers add another dude… they’ll have the biggest mgt group in history.

60. gr8one says:

Racki: Have you not been paying attention here? Klowe doesn’t get fired. They either a) create some obscure position for him or b) they create some obscure position for Nicholson.

He would be Patrick LaForge’s replacement, by the sounds of it.

Dreamsmasher. I bet you hunt unicorns in your spare time.

61. spoiler says:

Racki: What kind of vibe did you get from that? I kind of almost thought it sounded like “oops, I just spilled the beans!”. But maybe I read too much into that whole thing. Guess we’ll know when Simpson accepts his job as an assistant here

Well, I thought it couldn’t possibly be true, because I checked Wikipedia and it was not yet updated, lol. Ramsay’s entry took about 10 seconds.

It sounded like Ron was regretting his words as soon as he said them.

62. One-Timer says:

Rangers up by two – exactly where the Kings want them!

63. spoiler says:

One-Timer:
    Rangers up by two – exactly where the Kings want them!

You’ve been reading Twitter.

64. Racki says:

gr8one: Dreamsmasher. I bet you hunt unicorns in your spare time.

65. spoiler says:

Broken sticks lead to broken hearts.

66. One-Timer says:

spoiler,

I don’t even have an account.

Anyway, the comeback begins.

67. gr8one says:

Racki: What a majestic beast! How could you NOT want to murder it and hang it on your wall?

Ok, I’ll give you that.

And Rom, in case you haven’t figured it out, I’m “TwittyTwittyBangBang”…I know, pretty douchey handle, but it seemed really witty(wittywittybangbang!) one evening after a few too many soda’s and have just went with it…

68. Racki says:

spoiler:
    Well, I thought it couldn’t possibly be true, because I checked Wikipedia and it was not yet updated, lol.Ramsay’s entry took about 10 seconds.

It sounded like Ron was regretting his words as soon as he said them.

Yah, I looked on Wiki too because I thought maybe I just missed him accepting a job somewhere.

Actually, if I had to guess, I could see him being hired by Vancouver. The way he fellates that team when doing colour for Canucks games… could see that.

69. spoiler says:

One-Timer: I don’t even have an account.
    Anyway, the comeback begins

Don’t need one, to read the twits. Don’t worry about my ribbing, I’m sure it was said in a thousand households these past two games. And justifiably so.

70. spoiler says:

If the Kings score before the end of the period, the Rags are gonna crater like a broken lawnchair.

71. PDO says:

This series can get very interesting very quickly.

Henrik Lundqvist is very capable of stealing three straight.

72. crude says:

I’m working on some data that tracks guys who have a major break-out season after they get their favourite number on their jersey.

73. One-Timer says:

spoiler,

Yeah, probably not my most original remark, so far as they go. There is a feeling of inevitability about LAK now.

74. spoiler says:

One-Timer: And CBC has to clear the airwaves before the World Cup kicks off tomorrow. So pumped!

I have the scoreline in the ENG-ITA match as -1 to 0 for Italy.

75. lawrenharris says:

Remember when everybody was suggesting Yak might be the next Bure? I have dreams of him as the next Brett Hull.

76. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler:

Better keep Brad Richards on the bench then.

77. One-Timer says:

spoiler: I have the scoreline in the ENG-ITA match as -1 to 0 for Italy.

The old catenaccio will be trying its best to kill the buzz, yup. Pirlo’s four years further along though, so I wonder about their midfield…

78. anonymous says:

I hope any decision on Yak isn’t made until the jury’s out on Eakins. Hate to lose a number 1 pick and find out the coach really was no good.

79. Connor says:

Hey Lowetide, tell what you think of my idea.

People are looking at the Oilers and possible trade chips like Yak and Gagner and say we would be trading them on a low. Gagner has to go but I have come to the conclusion that the Oilers should trade Perron , not Yakupov.

Perron had a great season. A career high in goals and close in points. He has a great contract without a NTC/NMC for two more seasons. What happens after his contract is up? Are the Oilers going to re-sign him to a big raise with already having similar skill set forwards with bigger upsides?

I do not see Perron as having much higher value then he has right now and even the words from MacT make it out that he is not part of the core we’re building around. If Perron can be traded for a player to add to the core I’d say do it.

80. gr8one says:

One-Timer:
    spoiler,

Yeah, probably not my most original remark, so far as they go.There is a feeling of inevitability about LAK now.

And CBC has to clear the airwaves before the World Cup kicks off tomorrow.So pumped!

Not to mention all of the Kings Latino audience(3) it will lose to the World Cup! Wrap it up Kings!

81. spoiler says:

Connor: Are the Oilers going to re-sign him to a big raise with already having similar skill set forwards with bigger upsides?

Who would these forwards be?

82. VanOil says:

From the Simpson house hold I would hire Jamie Sale as the skating coach.

From the CBC line up I would hire Cassie Campbell as the Pressbox/Video coach.

But then again I would also hire Tikkanen as a culture and etiquette coach so what do I know. Many the reports of the Edmonton bench being a quite and brooding place last year. Esa would cure that.

Connor:
    Hey Lowetide, tell what you think of my idea.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gr8one: Ok, I’ll give you that.

cool!

I had no idea.

seems like a fine handle.

85. Racki says:

Connor:
    Hey Lowetide, tell what you think of my idea.

I wasn’t asked the question, but I’ll respond anyways, since there isn’t much else going on here at the moment :P

I think your idea does make sense, and it’s one that people bring up from time to time. For me, I don’t like the idea of moving Perron because this team is in search of guys who play big. A lot of fans and even media get this confused with guys who ARE big. Play big, is what’s important. When Perron first came here, my immediate opinion was “wow, this is what an NHLer plays like?”.. what had be watching up until then? He competes hard and is chippy, strong on the puck.. I think he’s everything we’ve been searching for and to move him would be a bad idea. I’d do everything I could to make this guy happy so he doesn’t scram for greener pastures.

Since he’s the subject of this post, I’d sooner move Yak, or even Eberle.. so long as I had confidence Perron would stay here past his deal, and so long Yak or Eberle would actually fill a need in a big way (but in no way am I really advocating moving either player).

Never say never though.. who knows, if the right deal came around… and I agree Perron’s value is quite high… the ideal value for a team wanting to sell. But it’d have to be a pretty good one.

86. Connor says:

spoiler: Who would these forwards be?

Perron can probably get a younger top 4 dman right now? Will he get that next year? Is Perron’s ceiling much higher than what we’ve seen? I think Yakupov has a lot more potential, it’s just getting it out of him.

It’s just really good asset management IMO.

87. gr8one says:

Racki: I wasn’t asked the question, but I’ll respond anyways, since there isn’t much else going on here at the moment

Mind your own business. :p

88. Racki says:

gr8one: Mind your own business. :p

FHL score adjusted..

89. gr8one says:

Mess!

Btw, has anyone figured out what he’s doing for the Oilers yet?

Racki: FHL score adjusted..

lol

90. Racki says:

Connor:
    It’s just really good asset management IMO.

Isn’t keeping good assets also good asset management? If he’s not landing a good 1 or 2 C or a top pairing defender, I’d say it’s best to hang on to him.

91. Connor says:

Lowetide: I like Perron plenty, would be open to a deal that involves a C of some quality.

Thanks for the reply.

I think Perron would be more valuable to the Oilers if we were closer to being a legit playoff team. If we were able to trade Perron for a top 4 minute eatting defenceman, I think the Oilers would be better off as an overall team.

I also have a feeling Perron’s value could go down. He’ll have one less year of a “value” contract and has had injury problems before. Even if he stays relatively injury free the Oilers might give him harder assignments next year decreasing his offensive output. Teams’ don’t have the same value for offensive players working the harder assignments. (See Hemsky)

We were the third last team in the league with Perron having a career season. Sell him high for a greater need and I think would push the Oilers forward.

92. Connor says:

Is Perron better than Yak or Eberle?

Eberle had more points than Perron, is younger and is locked in. With the salary cap rising every year, Perron might be a 6 million dollar player in two years. Even then Eberle is Hall’s boy and we know this team does not want to turn Hall against them.

Who has more value right now between Yak and Perron? I’m not sure but I bet it’s close. I do not believe that Perron has much more room to get better but we haven’t even scratched the surface of Yak.

The thing is we know more or less what we’re trading with Perron. I also do not see his value being any higher than it is right now. We made the same mistake with not trading Gagner a couple years ago. Lets hope MacT doesn’t want to get fooled twice.

93. Connor says:

Racki,

If the Oilers were a playoff team then it would be foolish to trade him. I think if we can trade him for a good defencemen the Oilers as a whole would be a better team and might be playoff calibur. We were third last with him having a career season.

94. speeds says:

Connor,

Honest question: Do you think it’s easier to find that kind of D via UFA than it is to find a guy like Perron?

95. Kitchener says:

Aside from Perron’s hockey skills & strut, the biggest problem with trading him is that he’s 26 years old. The Oilers don’t need more teenagers or 34 year olds – they need real players between 24-30.

96. Gerta Rauss says:

I think this game is going to overtime

97. Gerta Rauss says:

omg

98. spoiler says:

Connor: Perron has a little bit different style but he is still a smaller, skilled forward. I would not say he adds a different dynamic than Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Nuge or even Gagner.

Sorry, I thought you meant a forward we have in the system to replace Perron. Not one he is already playing with and thus cannot be replaced by. That said, speeds raises an interesting point in that Perron is probably the easiest to replace via UFA signing.

99. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler: Ahh, that makes more sense.President/CEO of Rexall Sports Corporation. Not the POHO.*

*said with the same inflection as “not the Mama” from the TV show Dinosaurs.

loved that show

100. Racki says:

Connor: Is Perron better than Yak or Eberle?

Like I said though, I have no ambition in moving Eberle or Yakupov. I just think that when you look at actual team need, Perron fits a need. Not that the Oilers don’t need scorers too, but Perron is also a scorer, but brings that extra bit of grittyness that the other two don’t bring (although Yak is starting to show that a bit… but he says himself that isn’t really his game).

As far as Eberle having more points, to me that is negligible due to Eberle getting the ice time edge, typically playing with both Nuge and Hall, and that they both have the same amount of goals… plus there is a very small margin in points.

Anyways, I again want to re-iterate I’m not saying move Yak or Eberle. I’m just more saying don’t move Perron unless you get a fantastic return… like a #1/2C or a top pairing D. But to fill those needs, there aren’t many players on this team I wouldn’t give up.

I also agree with Spoiler that a “top-4″ d-man is something you can get in UFA market. Top pair? That’s definitely harder to do.

101. Connor says:

speeds,

If I understand the question, you’re asking if a minute eatting defenceman can be found as a UFA.

If that is the question, the Oilers have yet to find one or sign one in recent years. I also do not see free agency as ideal to add core players because they are likely to be overpaid and will be at an age where they’ll either be in their prime or past it.

This is just an example trade: Perron FOR Tyutin

I think the value is close but the Oilers would have a No 2-3 defenceman that can play all situations and doesn’t have a huge cap hit or long term. He’s not perfect but IMO the Oilers would be a better overall team. Ideally, the defenceman would be a bit younger.

102. One-Timer says:

Can’t believe this.

The SCF/World Cup overlap is gonna be brutal. I’m a Kings fan right now just so this ends quickly!

103. Wolfie says:

One guy I target this off-season is Benoit Pouliot. I haven’t looked at the advanced stats on the kid but I wonder if he might fly under the radar a bit. Big, fast has some skill and is starting to find his way after wandering in the desert for a time.

There’s always talk here that good 3rd and 4th liners were good scores in junior not bangers and crashers.

Any thoughts on Pouliot?

104. speeds says:

Connor,

I guess my point is that, if I were the Oilers, I would want to sit back and really look at my strengths when it comes to identifying and valuing UFA’s, what’s available (or likely to be available) in the market, and how that compares to what I could get for Perron via trade.

105. Racki says:

Wolfie:
    One guy I target this off-season is Benoit Pouliot.I haven’t looked at the advanced stats on the kid but I wonder if he might fly under the radar a bit.Big, fast has some skill and is starting to find his way after.

Any thoughts on Pouliot?

He would be a very good add for line 3. I think he’s going to have a bit more interest from teams than you might think though due to some good showing in this year’s playoffs. MacTavish and Pouliot reunited! Ok, different Pouliot, but this one is even better, so it’s a match in heaven.

106. spoiler says:

Connor: Are the Oilers going to contend for the cup in the next two years?

No, but we would like to be in the playoffs within that time frame.

107. Connor says:

Racki: I would guess that you’re right that Perron’s value is at or near peak, but I think that peak is quite good. Is he better than Eberle now? Hmm.. arguable. Better than Eberle will become? Probably not (and I don’t think so either). It’s not always about who is the best individual player though. Eberle creates a fair amount of his chances, but I think Perron does that to perfection. Perron didn’t have regular (or near regular) linemates like Eberle, and it seems like he produces no matter who he plays with. This is pretty critical to me.

We could do that and keep Perron with Perron taking more of a defensive role but his numbers will drop, along with his value. We could also sign a 3rd liner that can do a similar job as Perron would in a defensive role.

IMO this team has holes and we have to move assets to acquire assets to fill those holes. I just think Perron is ideal for that because of his great season and his long term future undetermined.

108. spoiler says:

Hockeycentral speculating Kulemin would like to play in Pittsburgh with former KHL teammate Malkin.

Brad May speculates he will sign wherever Grabo signs, and that might be Edmonton.

Shannon mentions he looked more effective the times he played center this season.

109. Connor says:

speeds:
    Connor,

That’s a good way to manage assets for sure, see what you can get for free compared to what you can get at a cost.

There is more put into it than what I am saying but Perron’s value is unlikely to be much higher. He is a good complimentary player but not a difference maker or we would’ve been higher in the standings. I think we would be wise to trade him because of his premium value. If he get injured next season and or he gets worse assignments, his value will plummet and although he had a great season, I question how much better he actually made our team.

110. hags9k says:

Trade Yak for a #5 pick? The Al Gore needs to take a few deep breaths and maybe sit out a couple plays. We are in good shape to draft a very high quality centre, let’s give Yak more time. We will have nice things if we let the crop ripen. If we take our things to the pawn shop at this point, fire them all into the sun.

111. Racki says:

Connor: Another reason I would trade Perron is ice time distribution. We need to give Yak more looks in the offensive zone.

I definitely agree with the last paragraph, although I’m hoping that MacTavish pulls off miracles in free agency. But Yak and Perron aren’t competing for ice time. They could actually play on a line together. Perron is best on LW, Yak on RW. At least at evens.

I also think this team has no depth on LW past Perron either. So more reason I wouldn’t want to move him, but I think RW isn’t exactly thriving other than Yak/Ebs either. So basically what I’m getting at is I would like MacTavish to get a GM drunk, since I have nothing to offer for the big holes this team has ;)

hags9k:
    Trade Yak for a #5 pick? The Al Gore needs to take a few deep breaths and maybe sit out a couple plays.We are in good shape to draft a very high quality centre, let’s give Yak more time.We will have nice things if we let the crop ripen.If we take our things to the pawn shop at this point, fire them all into the sun.

While I am open to a Yak trade for the right player, I agree with you here. In a draft that supposedly has no outstanding talent, why would we want to trade our former #1 overall who hasn’t had enough time to bloom yet for a scratch ticket in a fairly weak draft, right?

It’d basically be cycling out players before they can even grow here.. going for the shiney, new toy all the time.

112. VanOil says:

hags9k,

If I understand you right;

Al Gore has a “Steve Smith” and visited FarmersOnly.com with directions from Bruce?

113. One-Timer says:

Alert: do not trade Yak!
    I’ve posted this idea a couple of times: basically, EDM should not be trading away NHL players at this point. They have gaping holes at C and D, and are barely adequate on the wings and in net. There is no strength to trade from, apart from D prospects as sweeteners. Moving anything out creates another hole.

The Perron trade was brilliant because it was a net gain on the ice. Hurts at the draft table, but imagine the past season without him. Perron is the closest thing the Oil have to a Marchant.

Right now the team needs net gains on the NHL ice surface because Hall’s contract clock is ticking. We will get a good D or C with the #3. Hopefully a vet can be found on the UFA market to keep his place warm while he spends more time in junior.

The other hole has to be plugged by trading the McDavid lotto ticket + prospects/picks, not an actual NHLer, and especially not at a loss, which is inevitable if they move Gags right now. His value will rise again.

The question is, how much is the 2015 1st-rounder worth, and when is the best time to move it?

114. spoiler says:

Bob Welch passed away? Way too young. I remember when you came into the World Series as a 21 year old rookie and struck out Reggie with men on base. That blew me away. Too young, bro, it all happened too young.

115. slopitch says:

I proposed yak for #1 and drew shore this morning saying I wouldn’t do it but the fit is close. I also like adding Draisatl and Ekblad. After reading the comments here, I almost want to defend it. But I like Yak so I won’t.

That being said, this team won’t turn the corner with 6 small top 6 forwards and Jeff Petry as the best D. The same logic of not selling low on Yak applies to Gagner as well. The only sell high on the team is Perron and I don’t want to go there. Is adding a top 4 D and upgrading the bottom 6 enough? I’m not ready to talk McDavid.

116. Racki says:

Connor looks like you might have a virus/spyware……

all your new posts (and only yours have some garbage in it referring to “The weDownload Manager”.

These links may help:

(I’m not the only one seeing this, right?)

117. Kitchener says:

Notes on the Ramsay hire (see http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=29966):

1) The Craig Button interview is enlightening. I take everything Craig says with a grain of salt, but I’ve never heard him this effusive before. I like the part where he says, ‘don’t ask Andrew Ference about Ramsay…’ Let’s hope what Craig says is bang on.

2) Months ago I said that the Oil needed some yin/yang in their coaching staff. Or, restated, a ‘good cop’ to balance Eakins’ ‘stern cop’ persona. Check out the post title in this Ramsay intro: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722359&navid=DL|EDM|home “Fun”?? If this is true, Ramsay will bring a much needed balance to the locker room & coaching staff.

I was DEEPLY concerned shortly after the Eakins hire about the locker room going out of balance toward “work hard” and other serious stuff. Within balance, serious stuff is GREAT, but with Eakins/Buchberger/Smith/Acton I saw no balance on the coaching staff. All 4 guys were stick squeezers and brow furrowers. RK brought balance. Renney brought balance. Now, maybe Ramsay will bring balance again.

To any stat-heads who think that last paragraph is “saw him good” mumbo jumbo, remember that yin/yang (or, if you prefer, “balance”) has been relevant forever.

3) Craig Ramsay’s wife’s name is Susan. Married men will all understand this: Susan Ramsay deserves our sincere thanks. Craig wanted to move to Edmonton for hockey & a gut feel (the “Craig Ramsay” link here: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blog.htm?pg=1&id=23&navid=DL|EDM|home) and Craig mentioned that the Oilers made this transition work for him and HIS WIFE. A 62 year old married man does not move to Edmonton on a whim, and we have Susan’s “yes” to thank for most defensive & PP progress next season. Thank Susan with cupcakes, gift certificates to Vi’s for Pies, and a season’s pass to the Winspear.

4) Prediction: Ramsay is perfect for Yakupov. Back to the “Craig Ramsay” link above, CR’s emphasis on fun & his reflection on the 80s Oil’s ability to ‘trade chances when they needed to or win 1-0′ should connect with the Yak we love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36YNCae9yg). Good on Eakins for picking Ramsay.

Ramsay’s comments on Bobby Hull are of prime attention here. CR talks about how Bobby Hull scored 50 by passing more. Yak in junior was a PASSING beast, not a ‘golden shot’ trigger-happy player. Yak dominated the Kitchener Rangers with 3 assists per game from the half wall, then pounded in a shot or two when the goalie was tired of checking the slot for the open man. Yak is a pass:shoot 1:1 player, not a pure shooter, whatever the scouts say, and Ramsay’s Hull comments indicate that he has seen this movie before. Finally.

5) CR’s comments about his “checking line” duties in Buffalo (a line that scored 99 goals) is perfect for the Oil. Player personelle is a different question (Pitlick? Gordon? Face-Puncher? etc.), but the coaching personelle seems excellent for this. For a top 6 that Tambellini graced with 3 #1 OV’s plus Eberle, Perron & [Sam/Sam/Sam/Drais], it is the 3rd & 4th lines that need a serious boost. With Eakins & Ramsay & MacT & Acton (bottom 6 types) in control, on paper Ramsay seems like another good fit.

6) CR’s comments near the end of his interview about Ference cement Ference’s role as Captain for next season.

7) Same oilers.nhl.com link as above, but on to the Eakins’ interview. Eakins’ tone sounds like he just hired an older brother or a mentor to the coaching squad. He sounds relieved, as if Ramsay is bringing skills and abilities and presence that make Eakins’ life easier. Finally.

8) The end of Eakins’ interview (the last minute) is interesting. He is in contact with players about how they can improve on 2013-14, but also says that he’s on the hook for his end of the bargain too. We don’t know specifics, but there’s increasing verbal being released that Eakins and this team are in the process of getting joined at the hip through mutual vulnerability or shared hardship. For all of Eakins’ confidence (or perceived arrogance) throughout the season, this offseason leaves ‘no stone unturned’ for making 2014-15 a better season. Ramsay is just one piece of this, but the Eakins connection is that the coaching staff and management as a whole are not naive to the challenges that lay ahead, which is a good thing and is reinforcement to LT’s recent (http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/06/counter-trey-3.html) supposition that MacT is playing his offseason hand completely differently in 2014 than a year ago.

The Yakupov connection (back to the content of this thread) to me is that the meta offseason plan is not just to trade players (such as Yakupov) to improve the team, but rather to adjust coaching and anything else possible as well. The Ramsay hire and the other points I raise above are relevant because the signs do NOT POINT TO A YUPUPOV TRADE. The Oilers Brass realize they have a potential Bure/Kane/___ on their hands and won’t trade him now when other variables (coaching, etc.) can be tweaked instead.

To anyone wondering why this post is so long when it’s 20 degrees outside, it was Woodguy’s YouTube link to Yak’s dramatic goal & celly that reminded me that Oilers hockey still means something. I’m fucking sick of watching Vigneault & Lundqvist delay the inevitable when there is Oilers hockey to be talking about instead.

118. Racki says:

Woodguy:

Just saw this link.

I had the pleasure of being there, front row (married into those seats!). I can say I’ve been to some fantastic games, but man.. never has my mood changed so dramatically in such a short period at a hockey game. Well, maybe vs Dallas back in 97 too. But this was a big change because I was so pissed at the refs for the horrible job they did, plus extremely pissed at Jonathan Quick and Mike Richards for trying to push Yakupov around for a slightly late shot he took at one point. It was an obvious “get off my lawn” moment from Richards, even though he’s only 30 (?). But you could tell he was trying to push the new NHLer around and flex his veteran muscle as though you have to earn your stripes in the league to do anything slightly wrong (I hate guys like that). Was sorta like TB losing their sh– over Omark’s spin-o-rama in my opinion.

Anyways, several times in the game it took everything in me not to be that idiot that climbed over the glass (which would inevitably lead to me fracturing my skull, amongst other things, I’m sure).

Great moment. One of my favorite games I got to go to and holds a pretty special place in my heart. I had a few beers rain down on me that game (that were directed at the ice/refs, of course), but it was all worth it in the end! Closest thing to a playoff game this team has seen since 2006.

Connor: I’ve deleted several of your posts from the conversation. My apologies. You seem to have some things attached to your posts. Racki has some help above, hope that helps.

120. spoiler says:

Racki: I also think this team has no depth on LW past Perron either. So more reason I wouldn’t want to move him, but I think RW isn’t exactly thriving other than Yak/Ebs either. So basically what I’m getting at is I would like MacTavish to get a GM drunk, since I have nothing to offer for the big holes this team has

spoiler: I would love to get Perron ontp the 3rd line to balance out the scoring. Partly because he can manufacture offence without much help from others and that allows Gordon to take less risks offensively and just go to the net. Go another step and get a play-making two way winger like Winnik, who is a very good passer, to play the opposite wing and we could have the mythical three scoring line hydra.

They have to get some support players who can fill roles. That’s why it was so disappointing that Horak signed away.

122. spoiler says:

Kitchener:

1) The Craig Button interview is enlightening.I take everything Craig says with a grain of salt, but I’ve never heard him this effusive before.I like the part where he says, ‘don’t ask Andrew Ference about Ramsay…’ Let’s hope what Craig says is bang on.

2)Months ago I said that the Oil needed some yin/yang in their coaching staff.Or, restated, a ‘good cop’ to balance Eakins’ ‘stern cop’ persona.Check out the post title in this Ramsay intro:http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722359&navid=DL|EDM|home “Fun”??If this is true, Ramsay will bring a much needed balance to the locker room & coaching staff.

I was DEEPLY concerned shortly after the Eakins hire about the locker room going out of balance toward “work hard” and other serious stuff.Within balance, serious stuff is GREAT, but with Eakins/Buchberger/Smith/Acton I saw no balance on the coaching staff.All 4 guys were stick squeezers and brow furrowers.RK brought balance.Renney brought balance.Now, maybe Ramsay will bring balance again.

3)Craig Ramsay’s wife’s name is Susan.Married men will all understand this: Susan Ramsay deserves our sincere thanks.Craig wanted to move to Edmonton for hockey & a gut feel (the “Craig Ramsay” link here: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blog.htm?pg=1&id=23&navid=DL|EDM|home) and Craig mentioned that the Oilers made this transition work for him and HIS WIFE.A 62 year old married man does not move to Edmonton on a whim, and we have Susan’s “yes” to thank for most defensive & PP progress next season.Thank Susan with cupcakes, gift certificates to Vi’s for Pies, and a season’s pass to the Winspear.

4)Prediction: Ramsay is perfect for Yakupov.Back to the “Craig Ramsay” link above, CR’s emphasis on fun & his reflection on the 80s Oil’s ability to ‘trade chances when they needed to or win 1-0′ should connect with the Yak we love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36YNCae9yg).Good on Eakins for picking Ramsay.

Ramsay’s comments on Bobby Hull are of prime attention here.CR talks about how Bobby Hull scored 50 by passing more.Yak in junior was a PASSING beast, not a ‘golden shot’ trigger-happy player.Yak dominated the Kitchener Rangers with 3 assists per game from the half wall, then pounded in a shot or two when the goalie was tired of checking the slot for the open man.Yak is a pass:shoot 1:1 player, not a pure shooter, whatever the scouts say, and Ramsay’s Hull comments indicate that he has seen this movie before.Finally.

5) CR’s comments about his “checking line” duties in Buffalo (a line that scored 99 goals) is perfect for the Oil.Player personelle is a different question (Pitlick? Gordon? Face-Puncher? etc.), but the coaching personelle seems excellent for this.For a top 6 that Tambellini graced with 3 #1 OV’s plus Eberle, Perron & [Sam/Sam/Sam/Drais], it is the 3rd & 4th lines that need a serious boost.With Eakins & Ramsay & MacT & Acton (bottom 6 types) in control, on paper Ramsay seems like another good fit.

6)CR’s comments near the end of his interview about Ference cement Ference’s role as Captain for next season.

7) Same oilers.nhl.com link as above, but on to the Eakins’ interview.Eakins’ tone sounds like he just hired an older brother or a mentor to the coaching squad.He sounds relieved, as if Ramsay is bringing skills and abilities and presence that make Eakins’ life easier.Finally.

8) The end of Eakins’ interview (the last minute) is interesting.He is in contact with players about how they can improve on 2013-14, but also says that he’s on the hook for his end of the bargain too.We don’t know specifics, but there’s increasing verbal being released that Eakins and this team are in the process of getting joined at the hip through mutual vulnerability or shared hardship.For all of Eakins’ confidence (or perceived arrogance) throughout the season, this offseason leaves ‘no stone unturned’ for making 2014-15 a better season.Ramsay is just one piece of this, but the Eakins connection is that the coaching staff and management as a whole are not naive to the challenges that lay ahead, which is a good thing and is reinforcement to LT’s recent (http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/06/counter-trey-3.html) supposition that MacT is playing his offseason hand completely differently in 2014 than a year ago.

The Yakupov connection (back to the content of this thread) to me is that the meta offseason plan is not just to trade players (such as Yakupov) to improve the team, but rather to adjust coaching and anything else possible as well.The Ramsay hire and the other points I raise above are relevant because the signs do NOT POINT TO A YUPUPOV TRADE.The Oilers Brass realize they have a potential Bure/Kane/___ on their hands and won’t trade him now when other variables (coaching, etc.) can be tweaked instead.

That’s a beautiful post, Kitch.

123. spoiler says:

Well, that also pushes Hendricks to the 4th line, who will be a great help to Arco in his first season. Find a vet who can still pot a few goals for the other wing and keep Lander and/or PItlick for backup. Brendan Morrow is still good for ten+ a year and would add another gritty leader type.

124. Andy P says:

Please lets keep Gags, Yak Schultz and Petry for this season to see how they perform with competent coaching?

125. TheOtherJohn says:

I echo Spoiler Kitchener: good post. In Ramsay the Oilers hired a pro. If we hire enough of them our organization will be noticeably stronger.

Hope it continues

126. Hammers says:

No way McT trades Yak unless its a blockbuster type deal not another draft pick .I have been on and off re trading Gags and see it from both sides but trading him will reignite his career .Perron I have mentioned a few times along with Petry as tradeable with an upside coming back . Think Perron & 2nd rd pick this year . If McT could get Perron for Magnus + a #2 what can he get next time for Perron + a # 2 Or Petry . Good trades only happen if both sides get something they want . Cap relief , specific player , dumping a player . That’s life .

127. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Not sure if this has been said or not, I apologize if I repeat someone’s idea, it’s unintentional.

I’m trading Yakupov as the principle piece if it gets me the 1st and Kulikov while retaining the 3rd pick as well.

If the Oilers move are going to move up to first to take Ekblad they might want to pry Kulikov out from under FLA, this way it gives some stability to the young defensemen.

At the same time I would use the third and take Draisaitl or Bennett and move them to the wing until ready for full time center spot.

That would lessen the departure of Yakupov.

Personally, I would trade Perron before I moved Yakupov.

128. mumbai max says:

The ONLY exception to YAK CITY STAYS, is a deal for Subban or Weber. Nothing else qualifies as a good idea.

And on another note, please Gord, do not start any rumours about Spezza or Thornton. NO to both.

129. DBO says:

Watching the playoffs, and especially the finals there are a few huge things that are evident.

1. A stud defensemen is a game changer
    2. minimum 3 solid lines. Not 2 good and 2 crappy “checking” lines. Your checking line is now your 4th
    3. Two way players earn their money in the playoffs, not the regular season (see Pisani, Fernando)

This talk of Perron vs Yak because oif ice time is ridiculous. We need 3 lines. Perron adds a ton to the “third” line. As much as I want top end dmen, I believe they are so hard to get. I hope MacT gets 1 or 2 Ference esque dmen (realistic) that shelters our kids better. And then turns his attention to Kulemin and Grabovski, and maybe my old favorite Boyle as our 4th line C. Two way forwards who are in their prime/vets. Our stud dmen are 2 years away, but with two way forwards in their prime we can still make the playoffs.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Yak-Grabo-Kulemin
    Perron-Gordon-Arco
    Hendriks-Boyle-Lander
    Gazdic-Pitlick

Kitchener:

Thanks for that.

Couldn’t agree more.

131. G Money says:

Checking into the thread late (or rather, early the next day), and steeling myself for all kinds of nonsensically moronic “Yak for 3rd OV” and “Yak for Richards” types of trade suggestions.

SOOOOOOOOOOO glad to see the Yak support on this thread, and reminded once again of how different the Lowetidians are from the ONers.

132. G Money says:

DBO: 1. A stud defensemen is a game changer

These are both true for the vast majority of Cup winners, however, there is a bit of survivor bias in that statement.

I would put it this way:
    - All Final 4 teams will have excellent scoring lines. Often these will cancel each other out.
    - All Final 4 teams will have good depth on D. Often this will cancel the other out.
    - All Final 4 teams will have good goaltenders

My observation over the last ten years or so is that the teams that win therefore have these characteristics:
    - A third line that rises above (see: Pisani; Bolland; Penner (from 1st Ana cup), and so on) and suddenly becomes a third scoring line
    - A defensive player that rises above (usually but not always the designated stud D)
    - The hotter goalie

Since these are situational, it is why the teams that are contenders remain so over long periods of time (because they have excellent scoring, D depth, and a good goalie), and yet different teams win each year.

133. jake70 says:

I am in the extreme minority, maybe I am the only one along with Eric Belanger..lol, but i didn’t like the Yak celebration vs. the Kings. Go jump up ten feet and pound onto the glass, sure, but a solo flight to the other end…not a big fan of…geez, guess I am turning into Cherry. I think it’s the lack of acknowledging teammates after a goa…oh well he is just a kid.

Bookie with a great Oiler organizational chart this morning:

jake70:
    I am in the extreme minority, maybe I am the only one along with Eric Belanger..lol, but i didn’t like the Yak celebration vs. the Kings.Go jump up ten feetand pound onto the glass, sure, but a solo flight to the other end…not a big fan of…geez, guess I am turning into Cherry. I think it’s the lack of acknowledging teammates after a goa…oh well he is just a kid.

Lowetide: I think people forget the circumstances surrounding that moment. The Oilers were getting royally screwed over by the refs, the world was crashing in, and then pure ecstasy.

Disallowed goal for non-existent goalie interference on Gagner.

The last time I was that mad during a regular season game was Mr. Magoo calling a phantom hand pass on Horcoff to nullify a late tying goal.

Yak scoring the impossible goal was a release of emotion not unlike an orgasm.

137. wheatnoil says:

Jagr also had some pretty over-the-top celebrations in his youth, as I remember. Much more over-the-top than Yak’s celly. That long-haired kid probably never matured. He’s probably not a guy a team would like to have in their locker room today.

138. book¡je says:

I remember one of the refs sticking a shiv in Yakupov ribs.

139. russ99 says:

Lowetide: My post tomorrow addresses how to get No. 5 this year, but this is an interesting idea. I think it falls short, but it’s creative and Justin Schultz is an interesting piece to trade.

This is just as bad as trading Yak. We’ve put all this time and effort into the kid, and yet he goes on to reach his potential with another team – just for yet another 1st round pick?

140. russ99 says:

bucknuck:

Totally agree. Especially since we can fix the parts of the roster that are keeping us from competing for a playoff spot in lesser trades and via UFA – bottom four defensemen and bottom six forwards.

Gimme 2-3 average/above-average experienced NHL players at each spot, and we’re a much better team without dealing any of the core kids.

Though I’d also love to see a Gagner trade and Grabovski brought in.

141. rickithebear says:

Nail Yakupov:

With non-linear centers:
    Gagner/Arco/RNH 986 min 2.13GF/60 3.71 GA?60

With Linear Centers
    Horc/ Belanger/ Lander 219 min 3.56 GF/60 1.64 GA/60

LW::
    Hemsky-Eberle 497 min 1.81 GF/60 4.47 GA/60

RW:
    Hall/Perron/ Jones/ Smyth 572 min 3.05 GF/60 2.41 GA/60

I wonder if there is a linear/defensively responsible/ high assist/ strong FO center available.
    for a younger cheape/shorter cap hit center.

Cause: