EKBLAD THE NEW SOURAY?

Twitter legend Hope Smoke tweeted out some gems from Ray Ferraro this afternoon, and Ferraro’s words about possible No. 1 overall pick Aaron Ekblad were fascinating for this Oilers fan. This is all Ray Ferraro speaking, courtesy Hope Smoke:

• “I wouldn’t be opposed to the Leafs moving up to take Ekblad. I think he’s a second pairing defenseman.”
  • “people will think that it’s negativity, but I don’t think he’s [Eklbad] a 1 or a 2. I don’t believe he’ll be that at the NHL level”
  • “watching Ekblad at the WJHC I was more impressed with his mobility than I thought. He’s unbelievably strong. A grown man”
  • “that [Ekblad's size & strenght] will level off when he gets to the NHL because you can’t continually be the biggest/strongest guy”
  • “if you’re moving up to get that pick in the draft, you’re making a significant move. You’re not moving your third line winger”
  • “do you move Kadri and your 1st for the top pick? That’s the type of guy you’d need to move. Around that age”
  • “here’s the thing with Ekblad: let’s say you draft him with the thought that he’s a #2 for you, say that’s a swing and a miss, he becomes a 3rd pair for 10-12 years. That’s ok too. He’ll play in the NHL for a long time”
  • “both physically and mentally Ekblad is a mature kid. If he plays a safe game for the next 5 years & that’s the high end for him, that’s a real solid asset.”
  • “I think you have Ekblad you don’t get the high end ceiling that Rielly has, but the low end isn’t a 5’10″ defenseman”
  • “you’re getting a real safe pick in Ekblad in a draft where people aren’t jumping up and down”

Again, my thanks to Hope Smoke. Let’s quickly remind ourselves about where Ekblad finds his offense.

EVEN STRENGTH

PPG NAME (LEAGUE) GP G A PTS
.541 SETH JONES (WHL   12-13) 61 10 23 33
.397 DARNELL NURSE (OHL 12-13) 68 10 17 27
.362 AARON EKBLAD (OHL 13-14) 58 6 15 21
.357 HADYN FLEURY (WHL 13-14) 70 4 21 25
.314 JOSH MORRISSEY (WHL 12-13) 70 9 13 22

POWER PLAY

PPG NAME (LEAGUE) GP G A PTS
.534 AARON EKBLAD (OHL 13-14) 58 16 15 31
.377 SETH JONES (WHL 12-13) 61 4 19 23
.343 JOSH MORRISSEY (WHL 12-13) 70 5 19 24
.300 HADYN FLEURY (WHL 13-14) 70 4 17 21
.176 DARNELL NURSE (OHL 12-13) 68 2 10 12

So, according to Ferraro he sees him as a second-pairing defender. The numbers tell us that Ekblad—playing big minutes at evens—is not Seth Jones as an even-strength scorer. No sin in that, but it does cast some doubt on Ekblad’s reputation of being a complete player—especially in light of Ferraro’s words this afternoon.

57 Responses to "EKBLAD THE NEW SOURAY?"

1. bucknuck says:

Can he clear the zone (first pass?)
    Can he break the Cycle?
    Can he clear the front of the net?
    Can he play big minutes?

If the answer to all of those questions is yes, I don’t see how they can pass on him if he’s available.

It’s the defence which will determine whether he is a top pairing guy. A cannon from the point coupled with a big minutes dependable player is exactly what the doctor ordered. I won’t quibble about Even strength points versus Power Play points if the dependability is there.

2. LMHF#1 says:

You’ll always be able to acquire that type of dman. If the analysis is correct (haven’t watched near enough Ekblad to know) then there’s no way you pick him at 3.

One hopes for Bogosian if one drafts Ekblad. But because the Oilers already of Shultz and Nurse, he brings the different skill set and the RHS that you want.

Marincin, Petry
    Nurse, Ekblad
    Klefbom, Schultz
    Gernat, Musil
    Simpson.

is one hell of a well-balanced defensive core in three years.

I don’t think he gets to #3, and I wouldn’t trade up to get him, but if he falls to #3, I pick him. And then Grabovski might be more likely to come with only Nugent-Hopkins here.

4. Rondo says:

Oilers will pick their D-man in the 4th round. Brett Lernout?

5. sumaclab says:

My feeling is the same as Bob Stauffers and many others. We need a center as much as we need Eckblad.

If Eckblad is there you take him at 3. If your ambitious and feel that LD is that guy then perhaps you go to the Islanders and offer them a deal they can’t refuse for the number 5 too.

I truly and honestly believe that this coming season the Oilers must take a step forward. It hasto happen.

If you feel, as I do strongly that we need to add size and veteran presence then you gout in free agency or at the draft and get those players you feel can help this team move forward.

I believe MacT has his to do list and includes ensuring that Eckblad or LD or both are part of the Oilers organization come September.

We need to move forward.

6. Yak2 says:

Ekblad had 21 EV points in 58 games. Had he played another 5-10 games, he’d be in range with Nurse and Ekblad.

Yak2:

His ppg total ranks third. I mean, it does.

8. Kitchener says:

All three C’s > Ekblad.

No disrepect to Ekblad, who seems like a solid guy, but it would be insanity to choose a defender with the #3 pick when there are 3 more-or-less equally excellent centers available.

I’d love to have Ekblad in the Oilers system, but not if the price is Rein/Benn/Dais.

9. Melman says:

“It sounds like he’s Sheldon Souray. Fine player but not a No. 1 overall. Not even a No. 3 overall. Thoughts?” This really frames itself as an argument for taking the BPA. If Souray is the best player in the 2014 draft that on the board when it’s your turn to pick you take him. On one hand in a year where there is no clear cut #1 that’s all the more reason to hedge your bet and take the guy who you know will be a sure thing. On the other, you should be able to count on your scouting staff to pick the guy with the highest ceiling 4-5 years out.

Edm. has lots of D coming and even if he is the most “NHL ready” in this year’s draft, the Oilers as currently constructed cannot play him next year – they need veteran D. I truly hope he is gone so the decision is made for them and they can pick the best C on the board.

10. RexLibris says:

…and this is why I’d love to see him fall to the Flames.

11. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

It sounds like he’s Sheldon Souray

Good thing Boston claimed Potter off of waivers. The sweater is available.

12. spoiler says:

They’re ALL 2nd line or 2nd pairing prospects in this draft. Not to say one of them couldn’t step ahead of the curve. But there’s no guaranteed 1st liners or 1st pairing guys. Ekblad might top out at a #2 (Huddy style) and Reinhart might top out at a 1LW, but really we’re talking second order. Nylander is the wild card… He could be a 1st liner–he has the talent–but I don’t know that we know enough or have seen enough.

I was looking at video of Nylander last night and he blew me away. He has NHL quality moves and vision already. But damn he sure likes sharp-angled low percentage shots, when a pass would make more sense. That said, if he was two inches taller, he probably would be ranked first by now.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, I think most of us, by now have mulled this over.

The danger of picking D really high is ever-present.

I just hope he’s gone before we pick, so we don’t have to worry about it.

14. oilabroad says:

If Edmonton also sees him as a second pairing guy, there is no reason not to trade that pick to TO for Phaneuf… I wouldn’t wait 5 years on a second pairing guy, use the pick now while it is still shiny

15. 8p0intgame says:

Would anyone do Gagner + 3OV to Winnipeg for Byfuglien + 9 OV? If we go by Bob McKenzie’s list, Jake Virtanen, Kasperi Kapanen, Haydn Fleury, Brendan Perlini, Willie Nylander or even Nickolaj Ehlers could still be available.

16. WeirsBeard says:

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone saying Ekblad is a 30 minute defender. He doesn’t appear to be an elite point producer. I’d take a forward. Doesn’t Ricki always say scoring goals is the hardest thing? Get the guy that can do that.

17. Racki says:

8p0intgame:
    Would anyone do Gagner + 3OV to Winnipeg for Byfuglien + 9 OV? If we go by Bob McKenzie’s list, Jake Virtanen,Kasperi Kapanen, Haydn Fleury, Brendan Perlini, Willie Nylander or even Nickolaj Ehlers could still be available.

18. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I just hope he’s gone before we pick, so we don’t have to worry about it.

godot10:
    One hopes for Bogosian if one drafts Ekblad.But because the Oilers already of Shultz and Nurse, he brings the different skill set and the RHS that you want.

Marincin, Petry
    Nurse, Ekblad
    Klefbom, Schultz
    Gernat, Musil
    Simpson.

is one hell of a well-balanced defensive core in three years.

I don’t think he gets to #3, and I wouldn’t trade up to get him, but if he falls to #3, I pick him.And then Grabovski might be more likely to come with only Nugent-Hopkins here.

I agree that Bogosian is a good comp and have been saying that for a while.

Solid NHLer, not worth blowing your brains out to get,

He might be better than Bogo eventually but wagering on it isn’t smart.

20. spoiler says:

Racki: I’d do any deal that lands the Oilers either a legit good Dman or legit good centre (as long as we will get some good years out of the player ). I think people have a bit too much expectation that this draftee is going to have a huge impact. That may be the case, but I like the idea of acquiring a player in mid late 20 who already has a good track record (Buffy is 29,but I’m not limiting this to just him)

Yep!

21. Lois Lowe says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: Good thing Boston claimed Potter off of waivers. The sweater is available.

Rob Schremp has dibs.

22. 8p0intgame says:

Racki, Spoiler,

Dustin Byfuglien may be exiting his prime years but, according to research done by the University of British Columbia, he should still perform fairly close to his peak levels for the next 5 to 6 years. Keep in mind the Byfuglien’s peak was comparable to Shea Weber’s peak in both counting and underlying numbers. If Byfuglien begins to decline sooner than expected, his contract expires after the 2015-16 season so the Oilers can cut him loose or re-sign him to a less expensive contract.

I think Byfuglien would be a good fit because the Oilers have a lot of good, young defensive prospects coming up. The team really just needs a stopgap solution to give Gernat, Klefbom, Marincin, Nurse and Simpson time to develop. Byfuglien shouldn’t be too expensive (the Jets don’t seem to know what to do with him), he isn’t signed through forever, his cap hit is less than 6 million, he can push Petry and J. Schultz down the depth chart, and he is a very good defenseman in his own right.

Plus, the Oilers need a good forward prospect to develop in junior or the minors, such as Vitranen, Perlini, Nylander or, God forbid, Ehlers.

23. nycoil says:

I’d take him at 3 if he slips and Florida doesn’t trade down. If Toronto then offers #8 and Kadri or Gardiner, I’d do it and hope Draisaitl falls. If not, draft Ehlers and set off the hockeyverse with a supernova..Oilers take another small winger!

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: I’m hoping there’s no way in hell we’re picking. If we are, we can probably tack a year or two onto Infinibuild.

I think we’re picking.

But I’m all for a trade. I also think they can make it work and keep the pick if they are creative.

25. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

Agree with you. I think Ekblad is a safe bet to be top 4 for a long time. He has enough skills in terms of mobility, has a brain, and has size. His floor is low. Do I see a blue sky ceiling? No. But at this point the Oilers need actual NHL players down the line and I think he is the safest bet to be one along with Reinhart. Just don’t want a big miss at #3.

P.S. replied to you on the Stralman issue on the last thread. Agreed and am on board. I went to 15 Rangers games this year. I saw him good every time. Just not McDonagh good despite what the numbers say. And as your link shows, McD was dragging Girardi along whereas Staal was OK with Stralman.

26. Truth says:

Just for fun, In the years they were drafted:

Shea Weber:
    2003 – 2004 Kelowna Rockets GP 60 – G 12 – A 20 – PTS 32 – PIM 126

Cam Barker:
    2004-05 Medicine Hat Tigers GP 52 – G 15 – A 33 – PTS 48 – PIM 99

Aaron Ekblad:
    2013-14 Barrie Colts GP 58 – G 23 – A 30 – PTS 53 – PIM 91

27. Pouzar says:

I think Ekblad will be better than Bogosian. Nothing to base it on other than seeing Bogo live a few times and from the fan base/media feedback. Bogo is a 2nd pairing D-man on a non-playoff team so if that’s what Ekblad’s future is then I won’t be happy not taking the Center.

28. Numenius says:

One way to get perspective on Ekblad is to compare his stats this year (his 3rd in OHL) with the other D’s 3rd years, under the assumption that he simply matured a bit early (and so would hit his peak earlier than the others).

Morrissey 59, 28-45-73 (’13-’14)
    Ekblad, 58, 23-30-53 (’13-’14)
    Nurse, 64, 13-37-50 (’13-’14)

This makes Morrissey look fantastic (at least offensively), and that may be accurate especially because he doesn’t have the size advantage of the others.

29. 8p0intgame says:

Truth,

Dustin Byfuglien:
    2002-2003 Brandon Wheat Kings/Prince George Cougars GP – 56, G – 10, A – 29, PTS – 39, PIM – 78

*Also Weber was drafted in 2nd round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. Shouldn’t you be using his 2002 – 2003 numbers?

Shea Weber:
    2002-2003 Kelowna Rockets GP – 70, G – 2, A – 16, PTS – 18, PIM – 167

30. Numenius says:

A way to keep the pick would be to trade Klefbom for Cobourn.

It’s a risk for both sides (Oilers risk losing 15 years of a fantastic defender because he develops well and isn’t regularly injured after all; Philly risks losing Klefbom to lack of development or injury), but might be worth it.

I’d be tempted. I wonder if Philly would be.

31. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think we’re picking.

I think they keep the pick as well.

But I also think MacTavish uses the pick like honey to attract the GMs. Let them come and start talking about trading for the pick, then let them down slowly and offer alternatives – “well, we’re all out of 3rd overalls, but have you seen our Gagners? They’re a great deal and I’ve got to clear them out to make room for next year’s inventory!”

RexLibris: I think they keep the pick as well.

I think they pick Draisaitl.

nycoil:
    Woodguy,

Cool, I’ll go read it.

He’s not McDonough.

You need to pay like…..Gomez prices for him!!

I think he’s an elite 2nd pairing Dman who can probably deal with 1sts and he’ll come real cheap.

Its worth a bet if he costs 2nd pairing money and he should.

34. VanOil says:

RexLibris:
    …and this is why I’d love to see him fall to the Flames.

I second this motion. I would prefer if they traded up and wasted even more assets to obtain him.

Truth:
    Just for fun, In the years they were drafted:

Shea Weber:
    2003 – 2004Kelowna RocketsGP 60– G 12– A 20–PTS 32 –PIM 126

Cam Barker:
    2004-05Medicine Hat TigersGP 52 –G 15 –A 33 – PTS 48–PIM 99

Aaron Ekblad:
    2013-14Barrie Colts GP 58 –G 23 – A 30–PTS 53 – PIM 91

Ever year Weber spends away from Suter the more I think he’s way over paid.

Every year Suter is away from Weber the more I think he’s over paid.

Together they were ridiculous.

Best Dpairing in the NHL for at least 2 years.

Got them paid.

Its not uncommon for some Dpairs to play much better together than apart.

36. VanOil says:

Lowetide: I think they pick Draisaitl.

Fair warning I might blame you if they don’t. Which I fully admit is wildly unfair.

Pouzar:

If Bogo played on a playoff team he’d be a 2nd pairing Dman on a playoff team.

Hell, I think he might be better than Muzzin and Muzzin is a 1st pairing D on a Stanley Cup Final team!!

Imagine!

38. David says:

At what point do you stop penalizing a player for his powerplay points when he had 16 goals on the powerplay and Jones had 4. That’s got to count for something right?

Woodguy: Ever year Weber spends away from Suter the more I think he’s way over paid.

Every year Suter is away from Weber the more I think he’s over paid.

Together they were ridiculous.

Best Dpairing in the NHL for at least 2 years.

Got them paid.

Its not uncommon for some Dpairs to play much better together than apart.

The drop off is especially steep when your partner used to Weber……or Suter.

Those 2 guys are pretty good.

Doughty put up ungodly numbers with Jake Muzzin.

He’s on a great team, but he’s a big reason why its great.

40. David says:

I think there is also some merit to the argument that Jones had a ridiculously offensively gifted team. I don’t think it’s enough significantly close the gap but I would factor it in slightly.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I think they pick Draisaitl.

you’re such a tease.

42. David says:

I disagree with this argument. For starters there are lots of large players in junior. And there are lots of small players in the NHL. Ekblad’s size and strength isn’t a negative it’s a positive. He’s going to be a big strong defenseman at the NHL level.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Every year Suter is away from Weber the more I think he’s over paid.

Together they were ridiculous.

Best Dpairing in the NHL for at least 2 years.

Got them paid.

Its not uncommon for some Dpairs to play much better together than apart.

This is one of those WOWY situations we often forget.

sometimes both players do better (or worse) together and NEITHER is the outlier, ie. as you say, together strong, both drop apart.

we saw that with Belov this year and a couple of pairings (Petry, Schultz)

44. Racki says:

Pouzar:

It might be misleading to call Bogo a 2nd pairing though. First off, Enstrom and Byfuglien are no slouches in the D department, so that’s pretty tough competition for ice time. However, Bogo leads the team in TOI per game at evens. He’s also 3rd in overall TOI, and that’s by a c— hair too from 2nd, and only a minute per game short of #1. He’s 11 seconds behind Buffy and 59 behind Enstrom. To me, the Jets just have a pretty enviable D.. at least right now. Those 3 plus Trouba. Damn.

I’d be pretty happy with Bogo. He’s not much of an offensive player, but I think having a guy that can play a heavy shutdown role is important too.

45. VanOil says:

Woodguy: The drop off is especially steep when your partner used to Weber……or Suter.

Those 2 guys are pretty good.

Doughty put up ungodly numbers with Jake Muzzin.

He’s on a great team, but he’s a big reason why its great.

Agreed on all points.

But will go further Doughty is the best defender in the NHL. That the PHWA does not think so speaks to there idiocy.

Also extrapolating this back to Ekblad, it is a reason he might not work in Edmonton.

To Bruce’s point on a player like Schultz requiring skill to play with, I love the passive aggressive insult to Ferrence. Schutlz will be well served to play on a third pairing with Kelfbom, in 2015. Plus all the PP time he can handle as long as he has another defender on the ice with him.

46. Yak2 says:

If Ekblad is there, you take him. Simple as that. Reading these posts, and seeing the Weber comments, it’s true that you can’t judge a prospect and what he’s going to be until 5 years in the NHL. Weber’s numbers in junior weren’t spectacular, and he’s put up a couple 20 goal seasons in the NHL and is one of the best dmen in the league. These comments on Ekblad being nothing more than a 2nd pairing dman in the NHL aren’t accurate. He’s going to be that stud, #1 guy.

47. Darcy says:

When i read observations like those of Mr. Ferraro, the name that keeps coming to me is Barrett Jackman. Won the Calder trophy and peaked soon after that. Not a top two defenseman but a guy the Oilers could definitely use. Tough as can be and been around for a long time.

48. jonquixote says:

Doesn’t Ekblad’s ability to project as a 1st or 2nd pairing defender (however those are defined) depend largely on factors beyond his ES or PP scoring ability? If he’s a big, mobile defenseman with a physical game, a point shot, and pretty much all the other tools beyond perhaps breakaway speed, I would think the rest depends on the stuff between his ears.

Is that what’s being questioned here? Bad choices on the ice? Likes the Barley Sandwiches a bit too much off it? How does someone go out on a limb right now and say “yeah, this guy is gonna top out at decent NHLer” when his toolbox is full and he’s been touted as exceptional for years?

If he’s got a bomb from the point that should be good for around 10 goals a year, a big body, a mean streak, and good wheels, AND he’s playing at the top of his peer group for a few years… then isn’t the difference between a Souray and a Doughty largely dependent on brains and commitment to the game (plus factors like health and development that are beyond the player’s control)? How does Ferraro (or anybody else) make that call right now, and if so, what exactly are they saying?

49. jonquixote says:

For the record, here’s Brian Burke on the 2008 draft: “More guys would say that Doughty’s ready to play right now. Bogosian’s got more upside, but he hasn’t become the player he’s going to be and Doughty has. He’s ready to play.”

Worth noting for a number of reasons. “Nobody knows anything” being one of them, but also the “he’s the player he’s already going to be” criticism sounds a bit familiar. I dunno. I think Doughty’s managed to improve a bit, wouldn’t people agree?

For the record, and not for shaming purposes but rather to reiterate caution and foster dialogue, here’s a Lowetide comment on the same draft: “If Bogosian’s scouting report is true AND he can be within a few points of Doughty offensively I can’t see a team passing on him at #2 overall.”

I’m not advocating the drafting of Ekblad, I’m just curious about this criticism.

jonquixote:
    Doesn’t Ekblad’s ability to project as a 1st or 2nd pairing defender (however those are defined) depend largely on factors beyond his ES or PP scoring ability?If he’s a big, mobile defenseman with a physical game, a point shot, and pretty much all the other tools beyond perhaps breakaway speed, I would think the rest depends on the stuff between his ears.

Is that what’s being questioned here?Bad choices on the ice?Likes the Barley Sandwiches a bit too much off it?How does someone go out on a limb right now and say “yeah, this guy is gonna top out at decent NHLer” when his toolbox is full and he’s been touted as exceptional for years?

If he’s got a bomb from the point that should be good for around 10 goals a year, a big body, a mean streak, and good wheels, AND he’s playing at the top of his peer group for a few years… then isn’t the difference between a Souray and a Doughty largely dependent on brains and commitment to the game (plus factors like health and development that are beyond the player’s control)?How does Ferraro (or anybody else) make that call right now, and if so, what exactly are they saying?

If you’re drafting this high, you want to be sure. Getting input from guys like Ferraro is interesting, but he’s not a scout and I doubt he can project as they can. Still, it’s a piece of info we add to the pile.

51. jonquixote says:

I don’t mean to criticize the collection of this information and the discourse it creates. What I meant to inquire about was the “why” of Ferraro’s analysis (or those who have similar opinions, in the comments here or really anywhere) and what leads them to it. It seems like a pretty unusual thing, to me, to go out on a limb for, and I think people can look pretty silly a few years down the road.

Certainly in retrospect, the notion that Doughty, as an 18 year old with a mature game and enough talent to be considered as a 1st overall, had largely finished his development by that point is really, really silly. Brian Burke (and others) should cringe hard when they remember holding that opinion.

I think those who have similar comments about Ekblad should bear that in mind and either qualify those statements with more information (yes, this is why we’re right about this player, even though similar criticisms on other players have been proven foolish in the past), or with the understanding that they’re guesses pulled from the smelly place (which is totally fair for casual speculation).

52. wontbewritten says:

Any thoughts on Marc Staal? Over 20 min a night, over 50 corsi % on a Finals team (plus 3 corsi rel) 47% zone starts. Not the same after the eye business but still would be the oil’s best defender, paired with J. Schultz.
    So…
    Staal – Schultz
    Marincin – Petry
    Ference – Free Agent
    Klefbom #1 in the AHL
    I don’t think it would take much, maybe just Klefbom and a pick, NYR is goimg to be in a cap crunch if the want to sign all their heroes from this run.

53. Truth says:

8p0intgame,

You are correct. Looking at the wrong year doesn’t help much.

Woodguy,

I would agree. Weber may be overpaid and overrated, but he is still a top flight defenseman in my eyes. I think the Oilers would be very happy if they drafted a player at 3 overall that turned into him.

I guess the reason for my comparison is just to show that there is plenty of comparisons about defensemen’s points when in the end it really is a big crap-shoot picking them high in the draft. 2 that were/will be picked in top three could only dream of becoming a Weber.

54. wintoon says:

To be a full fledged #1 D Man a player first must be a + skater; must have good offensive instincts and ability; must have defensive skill and functional strength with high hockey I.Q.

Based on assessments I have seen pertaining to Ekblad I question if he is a plus skater and I also question his offensive instincts. He has all the other tools including a big shot which gets him PP points.

In the final analysis, I believe that Ferraro’s comments may be the most astute assessment I have seen on Ekblad. Having said this, it does not mean for one second that the Oilers should not consider drafting him. What it does mean is that teams and fans could easily fall into the trap of having unrealistic expectations for this player.

I still believe that MacT will lean toward drafting a quality #1/#2 Centre prospect and that is just fine. Whatever he does, I hope it is the right thing for the right reasons.

55. j says:

wontbewritten,

I like Staal but am really curious to see how Klef turns out. I’d hate to see him go at this point given all the press. He may be an absolute beast. And I am not convinced that Staal takes our d to another level. At this point in time,I’d rather the Oil pick up some solid leadership at the back end without giving up any of the kids i.e. pick up UFAs like Markov. Let the kids develop naturally and evaluate what we have. It would suck to see Klef, Maracin, or Nurse turn into solid defenders for another team.

56. Melman says:

David,

good point, not to mention the fact that most men continue to grow and add weight beyond 18 years old

57. Fish82 says:

The thing with a guy like is that YES, he could step into the NHL next year. That said, i think that forces him to keep a simple game and play safe, thus limiting his ceiling. If he plays CHL next year, I would guess he continues to grow and develop and dominate with a different style of game. This could lead to a higher ceiling. Either way, if your scouts feel the same as Ray, he’s not a 3rd OV pick.