EXPECT RUCINSKY

Part of the reason I do an RE series every summer is to think in rational terms. It’s important, because as a fan, I have pendulum moments: thrashing wildly out of control and beyond the rational, in real danger of flying too close to the sun. I need that beautiful sea-level logic that brings me back to normal breathing.

With that in mind,  let’s try to bring “reasonable expectations” to the 2014 entry draft.

What should we expect from Edmonton’s 2014 draft picks? Scott Cullen is a frequent guest on the Lowdown, and several years ago gave us a nice line in the sand. It is here. Please read the article, as I am about to steal liberally from it.

CULLEN’S GUIDE

10 – Generational (Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin )
9 – Elite Player (Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley )
8 – First Line, Top Pair D (Thomas Vanek, Dion Phaneuf )
7 – Top Six Forward, Top Four D (Daymond Langkow, Chris Phillips )
6 – Top Nine Forward, Top Six D (Daniel Cleary, David Legwand )
5 – NHL Regular (Michael Rupp, Boyd Devereaux )
4 – Fringe NHLer (Kris Beech, Krystofer Kolanos )
3 – Very Good Minor Leaguer (Pavel Brendl, Jeff Heerema )
2 – Minor Leaguer, maybe gets a shot in NHL (Chris Hajt, Daniel Tkaczuk )
1 – No NHL games (Matt Zultek, Luca Cereda )

Scott set out 10 different levels in order to establish what we might expect historically from different spots in the draft. It’s a really cool way to approach it, gives us a quick reference point. If you’ve followed the draft for years, then expecting a top talent in the top 3 overall is a given—but HOW good will he be? That’s what Scott was trying to establish, and I like his idea. If you read the article, it will tell you (as an example) that Taylor Hall has already flown by the average and is on his way to something very nice.

OILERS 2014 DRAFT PICKS

• #3 overall (first round) 6.84—top six forward or top 4D. Martin Rucinsky
  • #91 overall (fourth round, this is the Bryzgalov return) 2.15 Selmar Odelein
  • #111 overall (fourth round, this is the Mike Brown return) 1.61 Alex Plante
  • #130 overall (fifth round, this is the first pick of the Ales Hemsky return) 1.79 Dwight Helminen
  • #137 overall (fifth round, this is the Nick Schultz return) 1.64 Alexei Mikhnov
  • #153 overall (sixth round) 1.90 Michel Riesen
  • #183 overall (seventh round) 1.77 Peter Sarno

That’s what we should expect from the 2014 draft. How many of us have expectations beyond that? How reasonable are we being? NHL draft history really is a sobering thing, as this article from ages ago reflects. The numbers echo and sway, but the truth is in those words. Example:

• From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.

25% of the players in that decade turned into players. I think drafting has improved, but this is still a very difficult reality to beat for scouting staffs. How many of us will be pleased to see Martin Marincin emerge as a successful player among the three second round picks in 2010? That’s 33% success rate, correct? Even allowing for more successful drafting in the last 15 years, is it reasonable to expect two of three to connect consistently? Really?

• From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That’s about 12 percent.

If you’re an NHL scout, the odds are amazing. The chances of finding an NHL player after No. 60 are poor, and the expectation is to score at the draft table.

The lesson here: Want Taylor Hall? Draft first overall.

Then light a candle.

60 Responses to "EXPECT RUCINSKY"

1. John Chambers says:

Looks like Garth Snow is keeping the 5th overall pick.

Amazing how not having a 1st rounder causes a GM to, you know, actually fill out a major-league roster. For that reason I wouldn’t be opposed to dealing our 2015 1st because it:

A) holds major value in other teams’ eyes
    B) fear of failure will cause MacT to build better depth into the lineup

2. Ribs says:

Well I WAS sort of excited about the draft…. Thanks a lot, LT!

Hah.. I kid, I kid. I really like the breakdown as well.

3. RexLibris says:

Jeez, LT.

There’s sobering and then there’s French Cinema.

Martin Rucinsky with the 3rd overall? Ouch. Really puts one in an existential, nihilistic state of mind considering the pain we’ve already been through these past few years.

Hmmm, maybe life as an Oilers fan IS something close to French Cinema. Minus the cigarettes, those things’ll kill you.

4. Marc says:

Great stuff LT.

This needs to be said, repeatedly it seems, to address the totally unrealistic expectations many seem to have about the draft.

One thing to note though would be that if Cullen did the same exercise again now, taking into account more recent drafts ie. 2000-2009 instead of 1995-2004, the average for picks 1-5 would be higher than 6.84 – probably closer to 8.

You’d lose the awful ’95 and ’96 drafts, and the ok ’98 and ’99 ones, and gain good drafts in ’05, ’07, ’08 and ’09. The top five picks in both ’97 and ’06 were both great, so that’s probably a wash.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

20th OV. Played >900 NHL games. Scored >600 points.

If you’re picking 20th over all today and someone offers you that career, are you happy with your pick, or do you think you can do better?

Romulus Apotheosis:
    20th OV. Played >900 NHL games. Scored >600 points.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Rucinsky fits the Langkow description, I was using him as a more interesting proxy.

I follow you.

Still, that’s another interesting question on the same theme.

If you are picking 5OV and someone gives you an offer:

1. Forget the pick, I’ll spot you >1000 games and >650 points
    2. Take the pick and try for more

what do we think most GMs go for?

I mean a big part of the appeal of the draft (esp. at the top) is the chance to nab one of Cullen’s 8-10s. That and the whole intrigue of watching your children grow up (psychologically I don’t think this can be discounted)

But, if someone just spots you a 7… do you take it? knowing full well that if you roll the dice you might get stuck with a 6 or lower?

Romulus Apotheosis:

Romulus Apotheosis:. That and the whole intrigue of watching your children grow up (psychologically I don’t think this can be discounted)

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Yes. All day. Especially with the current Oilers. Draisaitl can help win a Stanley as Langkow imo.

Agreed. And that’s the thing.

The expectations are nuts. I bet many fans would balk if you offered them Joe Stumpel’s career instead of Joe Thornton at 3rd OV.

But, the truth is (IMO) getting Jozef Stumpel’s career is a homerun of a pick. The alternative can be and is more likely to be worse, not better.

For pessimistic hockey fans we have a really weird optimism about what’s plausible.

Romulus Apotheosis: Agreed. And that’s the thing.

It makes me feel better reading that, I’m a little confused by what Oiler fans have as expectations.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’m just about to write something about that at ON. It has to be, at some level, a motivation for MacTavish. Watching your own kids grow has to be an overwhelming positive to the job.

Feeds into the idea that new GMs want a clean slate to operate with to.

I worked with a guy once. He only dated women with children. Wanted the whole family package right out of the box. Step right in, everything’s already done.

He’s an outlier, I imagine. Most people like starting from scratch.

Martin Rucinsky isn’t a centre. The Oilers are drafting a centre. So I don’t expect Martin Rucinsky! -).

Romulus Apotheosis: Feeds into the idea that new GMs want a clean slate to operate with to.

He’s an outlier, I imagine. Most people like starting from scratch.

Thank God for that guy. All those little ones deserve a daddy.

15. justDOit says:

godot10,

Messier converted to center, and that worked out fine. I’m sure Martin will get the hang of it.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Thank God for that guy. All those little ones deserve a daddy.

That’s one way to look at it!

He actually was a really good guy. Never found out if he settled after I left the job. worked with him for 5 years during which he never did.

2014 Mock, slide show, photos from combine, I reference a lot of people it’s pretty cool but only click if you want no pressure

18. bucknuck says:

The crazy expectations of Oiler fans are probably the most irritating thing about reading blogs. It bothers me. Petry is a wonderful player and everyone wants to trade him because he’s not Shea Weber. That’s nuts.

And Gagner… he’s a good young player in a tough league. A skilled forward that will get you between 40-50 points has value. I don’t understand the hate, though he admittedly had a rough time last year.

19. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I’m a little confused by what Oiler fans have as expectations.

My expectations are eminently reasonable. Something like:

1. Kevin Lowe
    2. Mark Messier
    3. Glenn Anderson

… & the scouts can take the rest of the day off!

Bruce McCurdy: My expectations are eminently reasonable. Something like:

1. Kevin Lowe
    2. Mark Messier
    3. Glenn Anderson

… & the scouts can take the rest of the day off!

Ah. Man. What. A. DAY!

21. Rondo says:

Has anyone done the point totals for Reinhart Bennett and Draistl for the 2nd half of the season?

22. justDOit says:

Bruce McCurdy: My expectations are eminently reasonable. Something like:

1. Kevin Lowe
    2. Mark Messier
    3. Glenn Anderson

… & the scouts can take the rest of the day off!

And then maybe a little game of backgammon for Katz?

23. Rondo says:

Reinhart 31GP, 20-39-59 1.90
    Draisaitl 36GP, 23-40-63 1.75
    Bennett 32GP, 20-34-54 1.69

25. Rondo says:

Thanks , I was hoping for more separation.

Rondo:

Thanks , I was hoping for more separation.

I know. Me too. There’s no angle I can see, so I chose the June birthday.

27. haters says:

Hextall was bang on with those statements he made, but how much of that is anger because soon enough the oilers will be “paint by numbers” easy to manage with the influx of cheap young serviceable talent .

28. Lloyd B. says:

So 60 players in a draft have a reasonable expectation of having an NHL career. That is two players per team per year. 30 teams x 2 = 60 NHL careers per year. 30 teams x 23 players each = 690 players. So… players drafted get a 10 year career. Nobody else has a long term career. OK…there are outliers.

Except …only 25% of 2nd round players make it. 12% after that. Assuming ALL 1st round picks make the NHL (nope … but bear with me) 30 first round picks all have a 200 game NHL career ( which we use here) 7.5% 2nd round picks have the 200 game career and after that outliers. the math does not work !! Where do the rest come from?

29. Rondo says:

Lowetide: I know. Me too. There’s no angle I can see, so I chose the June birthday.

Seems quite equal , so I choose size.

Lloyd B.:
    So 60 players in a draft have a reasonable expectation of having an NHL career. That is two players per team per year.30 teams x 2 = 60 NHL careers per year.30 teams x 23 players each = 690 players.So… players drafted get a 10 year career.Nobody else has a long term career.OK…there are outliers.

Except …only 25% of 2nd round players make it.12% after that. Assuming ALL 1st round picks make the NHL (nope … but bear with me)30 first round picks all have a 200 game NHL career ( which we use here) 7.5% 2nd round picks have the 200 game career and after that outliers.the math does not work !!Where do the rest come from?

College, junior free agents, Euro free agents.

31. Racki says:

So are you saying I should cancel getting Draisaitl’s name put on my Oilers jersey?

32. wheatnoil says:

Rondo: Seems quite equal , so I choose size.

I choose the one with more pull-ups. :)

33. Jon K says:

Is anyone else somewhat annoyed that the Oilers have drafted high in years without elite talent (save for Hall’s year), and then when there is elite talent available, they finish higher?

RNH and Yakupov both seem to project as lesser players than MacKinnon, and the draft class this year certainly projects to be much weaker at the top end compared to next year which will have phenoms McDavid and Eichel.

I suppose there’s not much to be done. Who knows, maybe we see the Oilers in a position to draft in the top 2 next year (ugh).

34. Caramel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Agreed. And that’s the thing.

The other day someone (Godot I think) warned us that Draisatl might only turn into Radek Bonk.

I’d love that.

35. Racki says:

Jon K:

I think RNH you have to be a lot more patient on. The trouble is, he’s a boy playing against men still. Sadly true. Once he gains proper strength, we’ll see. But you can tell already that there is an impressive toolbox here.

Yak… the jury is very much out here. Others have had instant success (MacKinnon), but this is definitely more rare. The whole team has really stunk, and aside from Perron, it always seems like players come here and see a drop off. So it stands to reason that maybe Yak isn’t a bad player at all. Year 1 was also pretty good for any rookie. Year 2.. well, sophomore jinx is a very real thing, so you can’t worry too much just yet.

Anywho.. patience…

36. HallDown says:

I wasnt figuring on geting a Malkin or an Ovechkin. I was only betting the farm on getting a Kopitar.

37. wheatnoil says:

Jon K:

RNH and Yakupov both seem to project as lesser players than MacKinnon

Let’s not close the book on RNH quite yet (or Yakupov for that matter).

Also, Sidney Crosby couldn’t bring this Oilers team out of the gutter without a supporting cast behind him. The problem is not the number 1 picks.

Talking to a buddy, this was a few weeks ago. We got into Oilers centers as a subject:

1. Buddy: “We need SKILL at center! Who was the last Oiler center to score 50 points?”

2. Me: Stare. Stare. Blink. Stare. Blink. Stare.

39. Racki says:

Lowetide: Nuge, people. Nuge. Two seasons of 50+ points, just turned 21. He’s crazy good. Seriously.

But LT.. this is his 3rd NHL year. Why hasn’t he recorded a 212 pt season yet at this point? Or even just 137? Is that too much to ask??

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

We should start two new awards.

The Stump goes to unreasonable predictions of gloom in honor of Abney “stumping in the corner”

and

The Stumpel goes to reasonable expectations for drafted players.

41. danny says:

I think Nuge is the ‘truth’ of the Oilers future. He is the difference maker. Without him becoming what he can be, we can still be a good team, because his lower levels is still a #1 center in a 30 team league.

Personally, I see Nuge as a Datsyuk/Modano hybrid type player. Granted, that’s predicated on him filling out and becoming physically capable of becoming an impact player.

RNH had 52 points as an 18 year old. 0.89ppg. League leader had 1.51ppg

Datysuk didn’t score 52 until his 24/25 season. 0.79ppg. League leader had 1.4ppg

Modano remained in junior post draft, and then had .94 ppg in his rookie season. League leader had 1.9ppg.

The book isn’t out on this RNH kid, but the reviews are glowing, it might become a franchise.

42. Jon K says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Nuge as a player and Yakupov hasn’t even played a full two seasons yet. But I think we can agree that they are a different class of player than Crosby, MacKinnon, Kane, Hall, or the two fellows coming in next year.

43. Pouzar says:

2. Me: Stare. Stare. Blink. Stare. Blink. Stare.

We sure have our blindspots in Oilerland don’t we!

44. wheatnoil says:

Interesting Cullen article. There’s a real drop off between 1-5 and 6-10, which isn’t surprising. I kind of wish he hadn’t grouped 1-5 together, there can be an awful big difference between 1 and 5, which I suspect drags the average down a bit.

There’s also a pretty reasonable drop after the top 100 and things tend to even out a bit after that.

It does speak to the inherent flaw in the “build through the draft” philosophy. Even if you were an above-average drafting team, it’s just too much of a crapshoot. There’s just no way you can load the die well enough for that to be your only source of procurement.

There’s been a lot of attacks on the Oilers drafting lately (and personally I don’t think the Oilers have drafted amazingly… I think they’ve been average, with some home runs and some stinkers), but the problem isn’t the Oilers drafting and that’s not going to be the fix. You can’t win in this league, even if you drafted well, if a majority of your trades are losses and your most of your free agent signings are busts. It won’t be Draisatl/Ekblad/Bennett drafts that save this team. This team can only be saved by more Perron/Scrivens-like trades. And is one Free Agent value find too much to ask for?

45. Hammers says:

LT that’s why you don’t trade Gags for 2 third round picks , your better of taking somebody else’s problem than basically nothing. Maybe he rebounds . Think of a guy like Booth in Vancouver . Great in Florida lousy to begin and a bit better this year but will probably get bought out . People say Gags is overpaid this year but last year everyone agreed he deserved a contract . The guy is a 45-50 point player and I would keep him before dumping him . Having said that who really knows what McT really thinks and if his trade value is there then trade him . People say that most G.M ‘s stick with there picks and isn’t that what McTavish did last year in giving Gags the contract .

WheatnOil: That’s why you need to sign an Arcobello or Fedun or Oesterle every spring, maybe two.

Hammers:
    LT that’s why you don’t trade Gags for 2 thirdround picks , your better of taking somebody else’s problem than basically nothing. Maybe he rebounds . Think of a guy like Booth in Vancouver . Great in Florida lousy to begin and a bit better this year but will probably get bought out . People say Gags is overpaid this year but last year everyone agreed he deserved a contract . The guy is a 45-50 point player and I would keep him before dumping him . Having said that who really knows what McT really thinks and if his trade value is there then trade him . People say that most G.M ‘s stick with there picks and isn’t that what McTavish did last year in giving Gags the contract .

I didn’t explain the ‘Gagner for picks’ trade well. The picks are part of the deal, but the other side is $4.8M in cap room. So the trade is:

1. 2nd rd pick

Bogo
    Duchene
    Gubbranson
    Hubradeau
    Galchenyuk
    Drouin

Toews was a steal but most of these guys look better then Ruchinsky.

Also, small sample set but the D don’t impress much compared to forwards.

49. VanOil says:

I refuse to accept the basic reasonableness of the post this evening. After reading the earlier post and the wonderful links commentators provided about Draitsaitl I am convinced he is an 11. An 11 being an all time great, Jagr class player. I am now convinced he and Yak will form the greatest 2nd line in hockey since Messier and Anderson.

As a fan(atic) supporter of a team that has been crushing my spirit since the summer of ’88 I due not feel this is an unreasonable in this expectation.

50. wheatnoil says:

True. It still bugs me that Fedun got so few games last year. The kid’s earned a real honest shot. The Oilers could do, and have done, worse than a guy like him as the 6-7 D.

Between Arcobello, Fedun, and the gift of J. Schultz, I feel like the Oilers have done reasonably well with the college free agent pipeline. I know Willis had an article recently on last year’s list, but I wonder how the Oilers have done with that route of procurement compared to other teams over the last few years. It’s a little harder to collect the data compared to drafts.

51. G Money says:

Jon K,

NM rookie season: 63 in 82 = .768 ppg

RNH rookie season: 52 in 62 = .829 ppg

Just sayin’. Let’s not anoint Mackinnon the next Crosby or RNH a bust just yet.

52. Jordan says:

G Money:
    Jon K,

NM rookie season: 63 in 82 = .768 ppg

RNH rookie season: 52 in 62 = .829 ppg

Just sayin’.Let’s not anoint Mackinnon the next Crosby or RNH a bust just yet.

Everyone seems to forget he started the season injured, and may have also rushed back, especially have the Gagner injury. And still managed 56 pts in 67 games.

53. Jon K says:

G Money,

Fair enough, I agree that it’s too early to make any greater conclusions. However, projecting forward if we look at ES scoring already it paints a pretty clear picture.

MacKinnon ES PPG 0.56

Hall ES PPG 0.65

RNH ES PPG 0.37

By the way, Hall took a massive step forward after the lockout in terms of ES scoring.

13-14 75-20-42 0.827
    12-13 45-12-24 0.8
    11-12 61-14-18 0.525
    10-11 65-14-17 0.477

Crazy. I know LT has in the past pointed out that Hall is in elite company in terms of ES scoring, but that jump is incredible.

54. wintoon says:

I would appreciate feedback on this proposal.

Given that the odds of acquiring a ‘good’ player fall off dramatically as the draft progresses throught the various rounds, I consider it to be a very viable strategy to try to acquire an additional top five pick for the Oilers this year.

My proposal would be to offer Yakupov plus the Oilers first round pick in 2015 for a top five pick.

Is this reasonable?
    Is it doable?
    Which pick could this yield for the Oilers?

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wintoon:
    I would appreciate feedback on this proposal.

Is this reasonable?
    Is it doable?
    Which pick could this yield for the Oilers?

here’s why.

anything for futures right now that uses roster players is a bad decision (caveat: unless it is to free up cap space to buy roster players. see: Gagner)

we need to acquire NHL players to help win during the Hall window (next 5 years).

So, any roster players (like Yak) spent on acquisitions should be spent on NHL players who make this team competitive now.

——–
    sidebar: the inversion of your idea is possible though.

after a certain point the feasibility of draft picks washes out. There is little advantage in having a 5th rounder over a 7th.

therefore (like last year) it is a good plan to try and trade late round picks for multiple later round picks.

56. wintoon says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Would your position remain the same if , by acquiring the additional pick, we were able to draft say – Ekblad and Draisaitl. That would, in effect, replace Yakupov with Ekblad and allow LD to develop further or play in the NHL as a winger for a year until he was able to fill the #1C or #2C role?

57. FTO says:

So LT,

You think i’m going to lose my 50 dollars I bet my buddy that Ekblad wasn’t going first? Haha

FTO:
    So LT,

Too soon to know.

59. FTO says:

Lowetide: Too soon to know.

Oh for sure, I don’t know why but for some reason I keep thinking he’s going to drop to us and we will be choosing between him and Draisatl.

60. FTO says:

Looking at your mock though LT I could totally see it going like that. I live in Calgary and I’ve been telling my Flames fan buddies that they will be getting Reinhart or Bennett.