HOW BLUE CAN YOU GET?

Generally speaking, the 2014 NHL draft sets up in a predictable fashion from one through five. Except, not really. Oiler fans get the feeling their team will take Leon Draisaitl at No. 3, and the Calgary Flames may be considering Nick Ritchie at No. 5. Is this the misinformation highway? In some cases, probably. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Edmonton take Draisaitl and the Flames select Ritchie. It’s also possible that Florida calls out the name of a forward at No. 1, thereby sending the draft into some kind of chaos.

Brian Burke gave a really nice description of the perceived top of the draft (and Ritchie) the other day.

1. D Aaron Ekblad (OHL Barrie) — “Great big horse of a defenceman. Hard shot. Very intelligent player. Not real belligerent. Not real truculent. But this kid can hammer the puck and he’s smart. He’s going to play 20 years.”
  2. C Sam Reinhart (WHL Kootenay) — “Brainiac centre . . . he dismantled our team, the Hitmen, in the playoffs. Smartest player available by a mile. This guy’s hockey IQ is off the charts. This is Albert Einstein on skates.”
  3. C Sam Bennett (OHL Kingston) — “A Doug Gilmour-type centre, who scores, puts up big numbers, has leadership skills. And this kid is a mean little (cuss). They’re making fun of him because he couldn’t do any pull-ups at the combine last week. I don’t give a (hoot) if he can do pull-ups.”
  4. C Leon Draisaitl (WHL Prince Albert) — “A 210-pound centre. Big centre. Big ass. Protects the pucks well. Really skilled. This (German) kid’s a dynamite hockey player. His English is perfect. This kid is an exceptional player.”
  5. RW Nick Ritchie (OHL Peterborough) — “A six-four, 230-pound mean winger with skill. A (Milan) Lucic-type winger. Which I think we can use, last I looked.”

Burke doesn’t have Michael Dal Colle at No. 5, and we know most everyone else does. How do we know this?

mckenzie tweet response what the hell he responded!.

What if the top four went like this?

1. Florida: C Sam Reinhart
  2. Buffalo: C Sam Bennett
  3. Edmonton: D Aaron Ekblad
  4. Calgary: L Nick Ritchie

What if Leon Draisaitl fell to No. 5? I’m not in favor of a rebuild, and do NOT want to trade from the current roster, but a summer that brings in  Ekblad and Draisaitl? That helps the ‘up the middle’ depth chart in a big way. I’m not saying flush proven NHL talent, but maybe there’s a fit here.

TRADING FOR NUMBER FIVE

If that’s the case, then No. 5 should have high value. The New York Islanders own the pick, and badly want to improve immediately. Why? Well, next year’s first-round selection belongs to Buffalo, and a fire has been offically lit under Garth Snow’s ass. The club solved their goaltending problems with Jaroslav Halak, but holes remain. I think Edmonton could offer a combination of the following:

• Oilers 2015 first-round selection
  • D Justin Schultz
  • C Sam Gagner

The Islanders want to improve this coming season, and they could probably use a lottery ticket on Connor McDavid. Let’s face it, betting against the Oilers succeeding is good business. If they add a scoring forward and an emerging defenseman? If NY Islanders received all three pieces, something else would have to come back, and this is probably dreaming because the Oilers love Schultz. Still, I think there’s something here, if not the assets I’ve mentioned then something else.

The Oilers could make this deal and have extra walking around money. It would be wise to send both Eckblad and Draisaitl back to junior, but if you’re trading Justin Schultz (as an example) and acquiring a free agent blue that could be an upgrade.

Thoughts? 3 and 5? Anyone? Bueller?

LOWDOWN

A busy day begins at 10, TSN 1260. We’ll talk World Cup, NBA, SCF, U. S. Open, Ramsay, draft and others with Dennis King (Oilogosphere Icon), Ian Esplen (Puck Rant), Alan Hull (Copper and Blue) and Paul Almeida (Saturday Sports Extra).

62 Responses to "HOW BLUE CAN YOU GET?"

1. daryl says:

Betting against the Oil succeeding IS good business, so I’m loathe to move next years #1. I look at the roster now, and that pick could be McDavid. Do we do that? I’m not advocating flushing the season, just observing that our roster isn’t good enough to unflush and get out of the lottery even with additions that have been proposed lately.

2. Rondo says:

No way do you trade your 1st rd pick in 2015, Oilers most likely will have a lottery pick next year and if the hype is real this will be a very strong draft. Draisaitl would probably be out of the top 10 next year.

If Oilers think Draisaitl is the right answer to some of the problems then they will need to trade a player or players to the NYI.

3. Jordan says:

I think Edmonton could offer a combination of the following:
    Oilers 2015 first-round selection
    D Justin Schultz
    C Sam Gagner

LT, I think you should be able to make that trade by dealing one of those assets, and a secondary asset.

Gagner & Musil should do it.
    Schultz & Ottawa’s 2014 5th should do it.
    2015 1st on its own should be more than enough simply because it could be McDavid, and the rumour is 2015 is going to be loaded (deep deep deep draft). This is the one asset I would be against them dealing.

To be honest, I like this move regardless of who is available at 5.

It gets rid of a risky asset. (Gags or Schultz)
    It brings in a quality prospect
    It makes room on the roster for a more experienced player, which this team needs to turn north.

4. frjohnk says:

We need NHL players not picks. If we traded this years pick for Courtier and next years pick for a Erhoff +, Id be happier. Not saying those players are full value for the picks, but I’d rather have players than picks we have to wait 3,4 years for.

5. kb says:

I sure hope Flordia takes Ekblad so we don’t have to…
    Whats the chance he is a 1/2 D man in the next 3 years. I’d be against it (I don’t follow the OHL that close mind you, and its really nothign against the kid). Unless he is Doughty-good he won’t be making a big impact his first couple years in the big leagues. We have plenty of young 3-6 type D men now, who all should be better than they are now in 3y.

What do you think the floor (realistically, assuming they aren’t a comeplete bust) for Draisaitl/Bennett, L3 C?

6. wheatnoil says:

If you’re throwing in next year’s first, you have to replace the roster player that’s going with an upgrade. Trading next year’s first means moving the fire from Snow’s ass to MacT’s and the pieces they get in return (Ekblad and Draisaitl? Draisaitl and Dal Colle?) can’t be counted to contribute right away in a significant way.

If you’re trading Gagner and next year’s first, you’ve got to be damn sure you’re getting Grabovsky in the off-season, no?

If you’re trading J. Schultz and next year’s first… who do you have to ensure you get? Phaneuf? It’s going to be hard to do without moving laterally if the draft picks are all used up. Stralman? Is that enough?

The problem with this trade scenario is you’re giving up Present for Future, but you’re also giving up the biggest Potential Future in the deal. How much is the Eichel / McDavid lottery ticket worth? It doesn’t matter if the Oilers make the playoffs, but by trading Real NHL Players ™, they’re digging an even deeper hole to climb out of to get there.

Now if they trade just Gagner and Schultz… do the Islanders accept? It potentially sets the rebuild back, but that’s a boatload of money the Oilers free up heading into the UFA season. Enough to get Grabo and Kulemin (I hear in a package deal) and a replacement D for Schultz?

7. Jon K says:

I just can’t see the Oilers moving Schultz. They love him, perhaps out of some sense that acquiring him was an accomplishment and proof of the value of their rebuild model.

In any case, I wonder if there is a deal to be made around sending Gagner and Schultz for the 5th and McBain. The Oilers had reportedly inquired about McBain when he was with the Canes. The Islanders may wish to move him as he’s a RFA coming off a bridge contract looking to get paid. The deal seems to make sense value wise, from my perspective. It is however an admission that their first draft golden boy didn’t live up to expectations.

8. Caramel Obvious says:

That trade might the worst trade in NHL history. I wouldn’t trade Justin Schultz straight up for the #5 pick and I don’t particularly like Justin Schultz compared to most.

9. slopitch says:

I like the idea of adding both Ekblad and Draisatl in the long run. In the short term, I don’t think you can move the 2015 1st unless your having some real good conversations with pending UFAs. If you do Gagner, keep some of his salary and add a dman I think it gets done. Big ifs though.

10. Racki says:

I would love for the draft to play out as written above, and would love for MacTavish to acquire pick #5. I would be pretty hesitant to move next year’s first but I can’t see how the Islanders do this for Gagner and some scrap (not Schultz). Maybe they could move a bigger name like Yak and get even more back. I know most don’t want to see yak traded though, understandably.

Anyways, I’ve been hoping for these two to get picked for a while. It will be difficult to get the big center and big two way D any other way too. It slows the rebuild though, yes, unless Mac also has a good year include free agency.

11. Ben says:

I’d like to see the Oilers flip some of their NHL players for highly regarded prospects, and then flip those prospects for high-end draft picks, and then flip those draft picks for well-conceived team-building blueprints, and then flip those blueprints for Bitcoins.

Caramel Obvious:

As mentioned, this isn’t a three for one pick, it’s a combination of assets for No. 5 and possibly something else.

13. Bar_Qu says:

I like the idea of dealing the 2015 first, if only to remove the “well, at least we have a high pick to fall back on” thinking.

Deal it, get two first rounders this year and make the necessary push to get to the playoffs, or die trying. If you get Ekblad and Draisaitl to boot, then its an even better day.

Also makes July first waaaay more interesting.

14. wrosychuk says:

Hypothetical, but what if the draft went as follows:

1. FLA – Ekblad
    2. BUF – Bennett
    3. EDM – Reinhart
    4. CAL – Del Colle

Would we be willing to trade same package to NYI for #5 (Draisaitl) AND Griffin Reinhart?

15. haters says:

LT was that convo with Burke real ? Or are you speculating what his thoughts are? If it’s real that’s just gold. Makes me think Bennett is the right player for us.. Lacks size but plays the way we need.

Also do you think Nj would listen to a Gagner + Musil for Henrique ?

16. Hammers says:

If next years draft is considered deeper than this years why would you give more than Oilers #1 next year for NYI #5 this year ??? . Doesn’t make sense, to me anyway . ( We have been bottom 7 for 4 straight years and counting ) If you want #5 it would take Gags + Klef or Martin so it’s not worth it . Stick to what it is and take best player for the Oil at #3 or trade #3 + Gags for Bailey + #5 or any other combination including Phanuef +6 or your choice .Yak & Schultz aren’t going anywhere . My fear is that Petry or Marincin are the ones on the block with Perron an option . All 3 of those players would get interest . More likely to see 2 or even 3 UFA’s brought in .It only takes $$$$$$ .

17. Andy P says:

Assuming the other shoe drops and we get a coaching team of good repute in place, we’ll be in a much stronger position regarding drafting and trades.

I think the damage done by the prior Assistants is up there with Lowe and Tambo, and it’s a credit to MacT that he’s allowed these moves to take place. They helped us become a team that lost talented NHL players, that caused other talented players not to want to join the Oil, and stifled or plain ruined the talent we did manage to acquire.

We were left with a relentless shuffling of deck chairs on a sinking ship, or to put it differently, we were like the fool running around in a circle yelling about the pain in his foot, yelling for better shoes and more pain killers, when in fact the problem was that his left foot was nailed to the floor. Pull the nail, and the injury will hurt for a while, but will eventually heal and things will return to a better normal.

I feel that our coaching staff in general and Bucky in particular were that bad. I think we will be pleasantly surprised what a competent coaching staff will do even in a single season, with the talent we have, specifically Gags, Yak City, and Schultz, Marincin and Klefbom, and even Nurse, let alone Nuge, Hall and Eberle. Assuming we get someone like Laxdal to complement Ramsay’s hiring.

I cringe when I see all these suggestions of trading Perron, Gags and Schultz for some mythical improvement that either the other team doesn’t want or wants less than the replacement. It’s akin to giving yourself an enema with a.44 handgun. Perron was almost found money. MPS is a helluva nice fellow but shows little offense. Perron is exactly what we need, and now you want to trade him???

We’ve all seen Gagner good, really good, lets cut him slack for having perhaps the worst Offensive Assistant in the league for his entire tenure here, draft Draisatl, send him back to Junior or the AHL if allowed to do so, and give Gags the benefit of at least one year under a competent coach, and then make your decision. You may be surprised at the outcome.

This team moved heaven and earth to woo Schultz, put him in the hands of Steve Smith and expect him to succeed? C’mon! Again, watch what happens to this player’s motivation and execution when he gets top calibre coaching.

We’re finally getting depth on Defence, with Marincin and Klefbom showing well with Petry, and with Nurse, Simpson, Fedun and others in the pipeline. What sense is there in trading away our strength for some collection of has-beens?

We lost Horcoff, and Smid, and Hemsky I believe, to frustration over embedded incompetent coaches. But we have enough talent left, thank Gord, to still move forward and compete with what we have today and at #3 in the draft. How about we acquire good players, and then KEEP good players, instead of looking at the talent we have like a bunch of ripe bananas ready to give away at a discount for a bag of half rotten peaches?

I like what I am seeing in MacT, and while Renney, Krueger and Eakins have all proved that no HC can succeed with incompetent Assistants, it takes a mighty poor coach to fail with good assistants.

For the first time since I started “throwing shit at Bucky”, I am feeling like the most glaring and fundamental flaw of this team has been fixed and we can at last look forward to icing a competitive team. We have the talent, we’re getting the size and abrasiveness, so I’m looking forward to sitting back and watching how this comes together from training camp onwards.

18. OilClog says:

Aslong as Perron and Yakupov are staying Oilers today lol

19. LadiesloveSmid says:

Wow. A lot of optimism in the comments section today. Schultz and Gagner’s trade values are not sky high right now. One guy suggested Gagner+Musil? Aye aye aye. Maybe if you’re trading for Josh Bailey and Ville Pokka. The deal seems reasonably fair as is, although without a 2C/playing LD in his draft+1 year, that 2015 1st is more than likely top 5. Worth it?

20. Rondo says:

Oilers are not making the playoffs in the next few years, so decisions must made with that in mind.

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 24m
    It’s anticipated former Hockey Canada Exec Bob Nicholson is headed to Edmonton to become Pres/CEO focusing on the business side #Oilers

22. RexLibris says:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland24m

So Nicholson becomes the Oilers’ version of Ken King, then, without the local vitriol.

How long before the Oilers look at purchasing the Rush? The day may not be long removed from Daryl Katz owning the Edmonton Eskimos. I wonder what those stadium funding negotiations would look like? :)

23. CurtisS says:

So we wanna now trade 2 NHL players and a chance at a generation talent for #5 a second line player.

Please I hope this doesnt happen.

24. slopitch says:

Whats this, news breaking before the Jaimeson show?!?

25. jbfuzz says:

I could see something like Gagner, Petry and a 2015 2nd round pick for Bailey and the #5. The Oilers trading a 2015 1st round pick would be TML Tom Kurvers-esque.

I would not consider this trade a win for next year, unless they used that cap space to fill the massive holes created in that trade. That would require a Matt Niskanen signing.

26. Mr DeBakey says:

Thoughts? 3 and 5? Anyone? Bueller?

The Oilers should make NO trades sending current NHL calibre players out for draft picks.

The Oilers do NOT need two picks in the Top 10 in a weak draft.

In fact, they barely need one. Any trades involving Top 10 picks in this year’s draft should see the 3rd going in exchange for a current NHL calibre player.

The 2015 1st Rounder should not be traded.

Have a nice day.

27. VanOil says:

Gagner + 2015 1st for the #5 and Brock Nelson add a Germat if you must.

But I am not that high on Ekblad but if WROSYCHUK is correct adding Rienhart’s Einstein and Draisaitl’s ass would be a coupe.

I don’t believe this will happen though. I am all for trading the 2015 #1 pick, I wan’t MacT to have a fire under his ass. But it should be dealt for a defender. Keeping Gagner for a year and a half allowing the Center drafted to grow seems the prudent move.

2015 1st for Kulikov and 2014 2nd after Florida selects Ekblad is my dream draft. Then sign Fayne as a UFA to ensure the pick is not McDavid. Lets face it a top 3 pick is going to start on the Oilers next year, but if it adds a little talent to 3d line not having to cover for a awful 4th line it will be OK.

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland24m

Laforge having to answer to someone?

Hahahahaha!

29. Henry says:

I’m really not in favour of making a trade unless it definitely helps the Oilers compete in their division. Trading Gagner may have to happen to give him a change of scenery. I’m not sure now, but definitely felt that way most of last season. Josh Bailey doesn’t seem like a real upgrade though. He gives up 35 lbs to Kopitar, Thornton, Hanzal, Getzlaf. Would the plan be to put the Nuge on these guys all the time? He has the will but the same strength problem and it hurts his offense.

I’m not one of those demanding bigstrongtruculence all the time, but a new 2C really should help the Nuge compete with the gents in this division.

30. Lloyd B. says:

Andy P,

What you said all day long.

31. Racki says:

Henry:
    I’m really not in favour of making a trade unless it definitely helps the Oilers compete in their division.Trading Gagner may have to happen to give him a change of scenery.I’m not sure now, but definitely felt that way most of last season.Josh Bailey doesn’t seem like a real upgrade though.He gives up 35 lbs to Kopitar, Thornton, Hanzal, Getzlaf.Would the plan be to put the Nuge on these guys all the time?He has the will but the same strength problem and it hurts his offense.

Brock Nelson. Still good point production.. And had good size

32. misfit says:

I’m with Debakey on this one. This isn’t the draft to be trying to collect picks. Certainly not at the cost of real assets, and especially not if those assets are in the form of roster players.

And trading next year’s first for a draft pick, only to send the draft pick back to junior doesn’t do anything to ensure that we’re not giving up a shot at a much better player next year. We’re simply not a team that can count on free agency to adequately fill the holes on our roster.

33. Henry says:

Racki,

He may be a good flip for Sam. Played with Dillon Simpson too.

34. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Others have mentioned it, but what you’ve done predicts what you’ll try. Longshot, but If anyone is going to get #1 a Burke multi-team deal sounds about right. E.g. the 1 Flames, 2 Sabres, 3 Oilers, 4 Canucks, 5 Islanders, 6 Panthers scenario.

35. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland24m

And Kevin Lowe to Hockey Canada?

Woodguy: aforge having to answer to someone?

Sound like more impact on Laforge than Lowe.

36. nycoil says:

I again refer you back to this Arthur Staple tweet:
    Staple is very connected in Islanders circles and usually doesn’t throw out casual speculation without basis. The Isles want help now. Win for the move to Brooklyn, win for Wang’s team sale, win to not give Buffalo McDavid.

Fan: “Who do you think we are taking at 5?”
    Staple: “No one. Trade.”

That said, whoever mentioned Brock Nelson–the Isles see him as a potential RW for the Tavares-Okposo line. They loved him this year. Snow has also said he isn’t trading any more young players or prospects (Griffin Reinhart isn’t going anywhere). I think unfortunately for the rest of us he learned from his Niederreiter for Clutterbuck blunder and the Vanek fiasco.

37. RexLibris says:

Pinizotto signed for one year. Listed as a C, although I think he may work better on the wing.

This season’s Tyrvainen?

38. nycoil says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴,

Posted in the “Breakout” Thread but if Florida moves the pick:

1) Calgary Ekblad
    2) Buffalo Reinhart
    3) Edmonton Draisaitl
    4) Vancouver Bennett
    5) NYI Dal Colle
    6) Florida Ehlers (+something from Cgy and Van on a double trade down)
    Could be one plausible scenario perhaps

If Florida doesn’t move the pick
    1) Florida-Ekblad
    2) Buffalo-Reinhart
    3) Edmonton-Draisaitl
    4) Calgary- Treliving sprints up to the table to take Bennett with a huge grin on his face. Monahan-Bennett vs Nuge-Draisaitl

39. Racki says:

RexLibris,

I’d say an older Gazdic.

40. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

nycoil,

Thanks for the link. Yours was the “as others have said” scenario I was recalling. The possibility of Burke doing that also sets up other scenarios. Florida defends a higher ask by talking about the D over the other 3. Who knows how motivated they are, but multiple moves makes it easier to assemble their ask. Still a long shot seeing #1 move.

41. nycoil says:

Some of the Senators’ leverage with Spezza may have gone out the window.

From Elliotte Friedman: At GM meetings, Bryan Murray confirms Jason Spezza has “requested we give him a chance to go elsewhere.” More later.

Also, on the chances of the Flames trading up in the draft:
    Though Treliving is considering moving up in the draft, he made it clear he wasn’t willing to pay too high a price.

“We’ll see. You’re managing it all the time. Is it realistic? I don’t know,” he said. “We’re going to explore everything and if there is something that we feel makes sense, we’ll do it. If not, we won’t.”

42. nycoil says:

Tallon:
    “He’s got a little bit of Patrick Kane in him. But he’s quicker. Best skater in the draft.” – on Ehlers
    “We have tremendous depth on the blue line and up the middle. We need to add some speed and skill and grit on the wings.”
    “With the addition of Luongo we can look now to offense and scoring.”
    Relevant part of the interview begins at 2:30 mark and lasts a couple of minutes.

Tallon clearly would prefer a W over a C or D. The question is if he gets enough incentive to trade down and still get his player. Toronto Star quoted him as saying he has received one “fair” offer already.

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Late to the party on the ‘trade Yakupov’ post, but it possible so much of the internal ‘buzz’ on the topic in the Oiler offices is due to the fact that Yak is more Katz’s pick than Hockey Ops? It’s entirely possible that “Yak” sits atop the trade list because the ‘hockey people’ didn’t buy the 1OV hype on him from the beginning and feel ownership has tasked them with the impossible task of transforming a one trick pony into a 5 tool franchise player? Shame, cos that ‘one trick’ is stellar and Brett Hull showed us you can fashion a HoF career out of it.

RE: What does Justin Schultz have to do to get demoted to the A or traded, there certainly seems to be areas where Oil mgmt and coaches have their ‘favorites?’ Another example is playing Gags over Arco when the former was clearly not ready to return. Yakupov certainly appears to have a shorter leash when slumping than the other core Fs as well. This culture of favoritism and gifting mins has to change. Eakins’ had all the right verbal on this when he was hired, saying playing time is the most effective tool a coach carries. Why then was he so reluctant to use it for Schultz and Gagner? The same reluctance was certainly not in evidence with Yak and Smyth.

The great thing about Nail is he provides a clear bellweather on Eakins’ coaching abilities. I think everyone agrees this kid has the raw talent to score at minimum 30Gs per year with the right linemates and deployment. Eakins’ vision is to turn the one trick pony into a Triple Crown winner instead. It’s a wonderful vision to consider, the fiesty Russian playing a complete two hundred foot game, back checking like Lehtinen whilst potting one timers like Bossy. But is it feasible? And more importantly, why sacrifice the goal production in the meantime, while you break the bad habits? At the very least, don’t you keep the player invested in this ‘hard road’ approach by finding him some more opportunities on the pp to unleash that laser with time and space? Honestly, shouldn’t that be job one of your man advantage tactics?

LT, I like Yak too, a LOT. His enthusiasm and entertainment measures are off the charts. And why else do we watch this stuff, if not to be entertained?

But, and it’s a big BUT, there is a very realistic possibility that Yakupov is that all too frequent athlete that combines $1 of talent with .$10 awareness on how to best use it. Gretzky was not the most talented player we’ve ever seen. He was most definitely the smartest. Some players are born with this, and some players can have it coached into them. Clearly with the likes of Gagner, Schultz and Yakupov, it’s going to take the latter approach. And realistically, the lessons won’t take with all of them.

If Tallon would take Yak for the 1OV in this draft (and I highly doubt that’s the case), you don’t necessarily push back the rebuild – precisely because you might end up drafting a player like Reinhart or Bennett to replace Yak, and the indications are their in-game intelligence is one of the key strengths that sets them apart. They could conceivably hit the ground running quicker than the ongoing Yak Project.

My biggest concern with Yakupov and the development strategy being applied to him is his precipitous decline in shots under Eakins’ Dallas has a 59 Les Paul at his disposal and he’s keeping it in the case instead of playing it. That’s a waste any way you choose to parse the rationale behind it.

44. FastOil says:

I think given how the lottery works now, the talent available next year, and the small chance of a massive improvement, it would be Oileresque level folly to trade the 2015 first. Trading the first rarely works out, but in a draft with McD and Eichel?

The Oilers should be trying to get a 2015 first out of NYI, Sabres or Panthers so they have 2. It is possible to work on more than one level, acquiring current players for now and the best young players for later, old timey Habs style. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

45. rickithebear says:

nycoil: Monahan-Bennett vs Nuge-Draisaitl

More a:
    Monohan-Yakimov
    Bennett- Khaira
    RNH – Backlund
    Draisatl – ???????????

46. rickithebear says:

When i think we could have
    3 of the 9 .20 GPG and .30 PPG 18 yr RSL/KHL forwards
    on the same line.

Slepyshev 6’2″ 195lb – Yakimov 6’5″ 225lb – yakipov 5’11″ 190lb
    (Semin; Ovechkin; Malkin; Tarasenko; Kuznetsov; Nischuskin)

Damn!

47. Caramel Obvious says:

Bag of Pucks,

Yakupov had more shots/game under Eakins than Krueger. The difference in production is entirely shooting percentage.

The narrative that Eakins has somehow ruined Yakupov is not born out by the facts. He was exactly the same player last year.

48. hags9k says:

Low ball Murray with Gagner, Musil 2015 2nd, for Spezza. Maybe he is in tough to get 100 cents ala Pronger?

49. hags9k says:

rickithebear:
    When i think we could have
    3 of the 9 .20 GPG and .30 PPG18 yr RSL/KHL forwards
    on the same line.

Slepyshev 6’2″ 195lb – Yakimov 6’5″ 225lb – yakipov 5’11″ 190lb
    (Semin; Ovechkin; Malkin; Tarasenko; Kuznetsov; Nischuskin)

Damn!

Wow that’s cool. Were our guys 7-9 on that list? Any higher? I’m trying hard to get my head around Yakimov at 6’5″,225. That’s a LOAD.

50. OilClog says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Bag of Pucks,

Yakupov had more shots/game under Eakins than Krueger.The difference in production is entirely shooting percentage.

The narrative that Eakins has somehow ruined Yakupov is not born out by the facts.He was exactly the same player last year.

Bullpoop

He had no swagger, no confidence, no faith in his abilities. He had more shots, yet every single one of those shots were shot with less ability then every shot he took for Kruger. His state of mind was not on the same level, he wasn’t the same player. Eakins did not properly handle Yakupov, he was not the same player what so ever.

51. hags9k says:

OilClog,

Eakins needs to strap him to a chair and show him P.Kane game tape. Where to be without the puck, how to play it in D zone, when and where to dangle. For hours and hours.

52. Andy P says:

misfit: We’re simply not a team that can count on free agency to adequately fill the holes on our roster.

We weren’t that but we will be with top flight coaches in place that everyone wants to play for.

53. Ice Sage says:

When was the last time any trades for top 5 draft picks (once the lottery had been decided) occurred?
    Burke / Sedins in ’99?
    Just doesn’t happen anymore…

Maybe a more productive line of speculation would be to envision the 4 potential new Oiler draftees and how they would fit into a competitive line-up in 2016-17.

54. Caramel Obvious says:

OilClog: Bullpoop

I’d like to say this is an example of Post hoc ergo propter hoc, but that dignifies the argument too much. Rather, I’ll just say that your mind is inventing patterns where none exists and using magical terms that signify nothing. This is as bad as any of the Hemsky body language nonsense.

I mean seriously, you can’t possibly believe that a) Yakupov took those shots with less ability and that b) even if he did, it was somehow caused by the coach.

You’d have more credibility with me if you told me you saw a unicorn in your backyard. Your mind is a mishmash of vague superstitions and magical ideas.

55. nycoil says:

Found an article featuring Tim Murray of Buffalo and his draft thoughts.

“Murray feels defenseman Aaron Ekblad will go number one either to Florida or any team that jumps up there. He said he’s heard at least four teams are trying to get to number one to take Ekblad.

Murray said a few teams have talked to him about trading down in the draft, but he said they won’t make him an offer. The GM said he will go no further down than 7th overall.”

P.S. A less than ringing endorsement for Tyler Myers as well.

56. Bag of Pucks says:

2013-14 Nail Yakupov – 122shots/63GP (1.93S/G)
    2012-13 Nail Yakupov – 81shots/37GP (2.18S/G)

Anyone know a good site trackign pps per game? Suspect the decline is more precipitous on that front.

57. FastOil says:

OilClog: Bullpoop

I don’t think Yak is the easiest player to deal with. The only way to avoid conflict is to let him do what he wants. He’s not good enough for that, few are.

Trading him for the right return wouldn’t hurt the team. I see this year’s draft players as at least his equal, next year’s better. Ekblad and Reinhart/Draisaitl for Yak works and doesn’t push things back much, or Yak for Eichel or McDavid works for me. Sign a winger, easiest players to get.

Oiler fans are so shell shocked by Gagner and players that just aren’t that good we forget how fast a really good player gets up to speed. There is no replacing a quality vet with a rookie, but some rookies are pretty good after a year or two. Some aren’t and play for the Oilers too often. If it takes a guy five years to approach ok he’s not a great player. A lot of the D in the final aren’t that old and are contributing a lot.

The D that take years to develop for example are the guys not that good. Ekblad may not be a superstar but I bet in year three he’ll be better than anyone currently on the Oiler’s blue including Nurse and Klef.

58. commonfan14 says:

nycoil: Sounds to me like if Ekblad is the Oilers’ target, he isn’t going to fall to them. They would have to trade up to get him.

I don’t know, Murray saying he thinks Ekblad will go #1 could just be him hoping that happens so that he gets his pick of the Cs that he really wants.

I’m getting a little nervous that Ekblad will fall, since I don’t really want the Oil to take him. Not that I think he’ll be a bust or anything, but we just need another good C even more.

59. sumaclab says:

Now your thinking Lowetide. Why is next years pick not on the table? Who the frak cares about next years pick.

I would trade my 1972 GI JOE and my KISS Army card if I could move this train wreck an inch further along this year.

I’d trade a sure thing over a might have any day of the month. And especially so in a month when the draft takes place.

You don’t trade JS. But you certainly move Gagner/the 20151st/Gernator,Simpson/Musil.

In a heart beat.If Snow needs something else throw in Lander for good measure. Kid needs a new look. Offer him tangible assets.

The Isles are moving into Barclays Arena and will be competing hard for the dollar in that markey against the SCF Rangers. They’ll want to be competitive.

Next on my list is Perron. Trade himnow.He has a value contract. And his trade value is at its highest. Send the pitbull east and go get a player like Brandon Sutter.

60. Ribs says:

Thoughts? 3 and 5? Anyone? Bueller?

Ekblad and Draisaitl/Dal Colle would make the day a very good one. I’m not too attached to Schultz or Gagner so I could contemplate your proposed deal. I’d be wary of giving up the 2015 1st rounder, though.

61. blainer says:

Racki:

Agree with you on Yak. Sorry LT…I know your really big on him..If Ekblad is gone and were trying to get The Isles pick..What about Draisatll and Ritchie..Now that puts us in the same league as the big Boys in a coulple of years..6′ 2 220lbs for Draisaitll and 6’3 230 lbs for Ritchie. Bring on the Kings , Ducks and Sharks in 2016…The oilers will be in the same conversation as those teams if these players are developed properly.