LOUD NOISES 6: THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

The Edmonton Oilers are in a great spot for the 2014 entry draft. There are four top talents, and the rest are hind banana. Is that true? Probably not. The European contingent (Nylander, Fiala, Ehlers who played in the Q) has someone in there who will knock your socks off, and maybe someone like Pastrnak will explode as time rolls along. Some of the players in this draft are impact players, we just can’t see them from here.

I’m going to have my final top 30 up tomorrow morning, there are changes from last week so hopefully you’ll find it interesting. I’ll have 31-60 up some time tomorrow and because of the Oilers draft situation I’m going to do a 61-90 this year for fun. Bob McKenzie’s list is out tomorrow, we’ll spend some time talking about that as well. And of course there will be trades and such leading up to Friday.

TOP STORIES

• The Islanders are a team of interest for Edmonton. The club has the pick at No. 5 and some other nice things, and are looking for some skill up front. We talk about Gagner as an option there, but would be foolish to exclude Yakupov as a possible trade chip when talking about Long Island.
  • That article mentions Griffin Reinhart as being untouchable, then suggests the Oilers had been sniffing around (or that’s my read on it). That would fuel the idea that Ekblad may be a target here, and I can see Edmonton having the assets to move up to No. 1 overall. Not recommending it, though.
  • I keep reading about Evander Kane shaking loose. If that’s true, I would hope the Oilers are making that phone call. I have no idea of the cost, and wouldn’t really know what the Jets might want, but MacT has to make that call.
  • Stu MacGregor is defending the Oilers draft record, and of course the pushback will be strong from the fans. I remain convinced the moves of 2006 (no first-round pick), 2007 (three first rounders and one player to show) and 2008 (Penner offer sheet) are the things we should be focused on when discussing the lack of current NHL 6′s and 7′s and 9′s. A year ago, the 2010 draft was generally regarded as ‘Hall and that’s all’ and 12 months later no one wants to discuss dealing Marincin. I might add that 2010 draft still has a year left before the 5-year rule clicks over. If you want to be mad at the scouting department, be mad about Alex Plante and no pick from 23-100 in 2008—or better yet, rage against the leadership that flushed the farm team or decided Anton Lander was ready fall 2011. Tyler Pitlick, David Musil, Dillon Simpson, Martin Gernat and the others are progressing, and it’s folly to pass judgement on any draft from 2011 forward.
  • I haven’t heard a thing about Nikita Nikitin, Oilers may have made a move and not released information. I’ll follow the story today and update.
  • Sounds like the Rangers have upped their offer to Stralman, now a 4×4.

It’s going to be a fluid day, more as it comes available.

62 Responses to "LOUD NOISES 6: THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!"

1. Halfwise says:

Hard to not see the Nikitin negotiations as kind of a litmus test or foreshadowing of how the next 2 weeks will go.

Man, I am waiting as fast as I can.

Halfwise:

Man, I am waiting as fast as I can.

Love that line, plan to steal.

Some Oilers draft odds and ends

Why the Hockey Gods love the Flames and hate the Oilers

5. sumaclab says:

Agree that it will be a fluid day. Wobbly pops for everyone. The anticipation for draft day for us seniors is akin to a 6 year old the night before Christmas. Heck on my wedding day I was not this wired for sound. Smooth as silk that day. I am hopeful that MacT will come out of next weekend with a few solutions to our defensive problems. I think there will be 20 trades and more made by teams on Draft weekend. Players and picks will move more so this year. A lot of the bridesmaids like the Flyers and the Ducks have a shopping list that only can be filled from outside of their organization. Ryan Kesler will move next Friday or Saturday but to who is anyone’s guess. Either way it will be a fun weekend.

6. Halfwise says:

Lowetide: Love that line, plan to steal.

I’ll waive any royalties…love this site.

7. David says:

My top twelve rankings. I put a lot of weight into boxcars.

- Reinhart
    - Draisaitl
    - Ekblad
    - Ehlers
    - Bennett
    - Fiala
    - Fabbri
    - Dal Colle
    - Nylander
    - Barbashev
    - Kapanen
    - Virtanen

Interesting to me was Dal Colle had 39 G and 95 points in 67 games. Fabbri only played 58 games. If you expand his points out to 67 games he gets 51 G and 100 P. The. Again, he was on a ridiculously loaded team. 45 G in 58 games though…

8. David says:

Virtanen scored his 45 goals in 71 games. Fabbri got 45 in 58.

9. sliderule says:

When you look at oiler drafting before Stu the 2003 draft keeps jumping at you.

They moved down to pick MAP and gave up a chance at Parise who they deemed too small.

In picking Pouliot they took a tall player who was not thick.They passed on others good players but the most obvious omission was Getzlaf right in their own back door..At 6-4 and close to 200 lbs he was the perfect fit for the “big center ” the oilers wanted.

You have to wonder if the Q scout oversold on MAP.Did his Hemsky success weigh on their decision?

I have always wondered when all those scouts get in a room and most of them have barely seen some of the picks why would they have a say on a player they hardly know.

Mact says they now have instant video on every player in nhl and most likely all the draftees.

If Stu is using his scouts consensus to help make the pick with today’s technology there is no excuse for them not to give informed advice for the 2014 draft.

10. speeds says:

Not signing Nikitin, if they don’t, could be a good indicator, in a way, when it comes to searching for value. Maybe they had some reason to think Nikitin would sign early at a fairly reasonable number, so they thought “Well, we’ll give him a reasonable offer, see if he takes it. If so, great!. If not, no big deal, we can go to the market and search for other value.”

11. Zack says:

You know, taking a step back this year in terms of hockey has really helped me establish a greater non-biased fan boy view on things with the Oilers. They select top three, in no particular order…

Sam Reinhart 6’1″ 185lbs
    Leon Draisiatl 6’2″ 210lbs
    Aaron Ekblad 6’3″ 220lbs

From my understanding we have the choice of two outstanding playmaking centers with size (could easily see Reinhart add another 10lbs and still be extremely agile at 195lbs) and what seems to be a Shea Weber lite in Ekblad.

At worst if all pans out, we finally add size and a 2nd line centre, 2/3 all around d-man that logs a ton of minutes.

The glass is definitely half full this morning.

sliderule:
    When you look at oiler drafting before Stu the 2003 draft keeps jumping at you.

They moved down to pick MAPand gave up a chance at Parise who they deemed too small.

In picking Pouliot they took a tall player who was not thick.They passed on others good players but the most obvious omission was Getzlafright in their own back door..At 6-4 and close to 200 lbs he was the perfect fit for the “big center ” the oilers wanted.

You have to wonder if the Q scout oversold on MAP.Did his Hemsky success weighon their decision?

I have always wondered when all those scouts get in a room and most of themhave barely seen some of the pickswhy would they have a sayona player they hardly know.

If Stu is usinghis scouts consensus to help make the pick with today’s technology thereis no excuse for them not to give informed advice for the 2014 draft.

I’ve always wanted to see where they had Pouliot, and would love to know the names they had between Nilsson (who they clearly loved, that was the reason for trading down) and Pouliot. Luck, good and bad, plays an enormous role.

13. Dee Dee says:

It’s sad that the high point of the Oilers season is draft day with everything going downhill after they, you know, actually have to play games.

It’s like the Peanuts cartoon with Lucy holding the football and telling Chuck that things are going to be different this year. I never understood why he kept trying year after year, always getting fooled by some new lame reason.

Please please please may the Oilers be playing meaningful hockey at Christmas this year.

14. wheatnoil says:

You gotta think the announcement about next year’s cap is going to come soon. I imagine it’s got to be before Wednesday when the interview period for free agency starts.

15. speeds says:

wheatnoil,

I would be surprised if, internally, the teams had not been given a pretty solid estimate by this point.

16. jake70 says:

I remember watching that scene with a buddy at university on it’s first airing. Watched the show from time to time but I was hooked on the series after that scene/episode, only because of Patrick Stewarts character. Jean-Luc kicks ass.

My question…..why would Winnipeg want to let an Evander Kane go?

17. wheatnoil says:

speeds,

Well that is very likely true. Still, you’d think if there were any surprises (a Rogers cap boost for instance) some more info about it would’ve been leaked by now by some team. Though, Bettman probably has them on a tight leash.

18. Darrell says:

Hey LT,
    Off topic; I put a dime in the LT jukebox and am requesting a song:

I understand that you post on The Nation and most of us frequent both
    Sites to get our fix. What’s your thoughts and is it possible to add a ‘book it’
    button on Lowetide on the comments and track results ala trashes ? We
    debate 24/7/365 on what’s going to happen and it would be fun to track our
    Darts as we throw them ?

Just a crazy thought and keep up the monumental work!

19. nycoil says:

Nice to see Tyler Dellow get mention in that NBC Sports article on the Stralman negotiations. The times they are a changin’.

If the Rangers are indeed offering 4 x $4M to Stralman and that is his first choice of place to stay and settle down, Oilers are probably faced with having to go 5 x $5M to get him? Yikes, getting a bit pricey.

Maybe time to shift focus to Fayne, etc.

Darrell:
    Hey LT,
    Off topic; I put a dime in the LT jukebox and am requesting a song:

I understandthat you post on The Nation and most of us frequent both
    Sites to get our fix.What’s your thoughts and is it possible to add a ‘book it’
    button on Lowetide on the comments and track results ala trashes ?We
    debate 24/7/365 on what’s going to happen and it would be fun to track our
    Darts as we throw them ?

Just a crazy thought and keep up the monumental work!

I’m not even sure I could do it (would have to ask Danny, who is an absolute saint). Honestly, though, I see this blog as more of a ‘if you have an opinion, then explain and get ready to defend until 2am” kind of place.

I’m not sure anyone would bother, beyond “Steve Smith” winning all the thumb’s up competitions. There are times when I have felt like using the trash it button, though. :-)

21. speeds says:

nycoil:

Maybe time to shift focus to Fayne, etc.

I would be willing to give him 25M over 5, in a vacuum, compared to 14M over 4 for Nikitin. A marginal 1.5M to have Stralman instead of Nikitin would be worth it, IMO. But, like you say, if there are other, better values elsewhere, by all means, explore that as well, or potentially instead.

22. sliderule says:

jake70,

Probably for same reason philly let Carter and Richards go.

Young guys like to party.

Too much news in media then pressures management.

23. Gino says:

How does this guy do this, Dean Lombardi is magic man. Trades Nicolas Deslauriers and Hudson Fasching for Brayden McNabb, Jonathan Parker, round 2 pick in the 2014 draft and round 2 pick in the 2015 draft. Are Deslauriers and Fasching something special that warrants moving McNabb and 2 second round picks for this am I missing something here or did Buffalo just get fleeced. Why can’t the Oil make these type of moves?

24. Darrell says:

Understood – there is just so much crap we throw at the wall and it would be nice to see what actually sticks :). No complaints here – I enjoy the 24/7/365 hockey around here but then again that’s why we are Oiler fans.

Cheers,
    Darrell

25. oliveoilers says:

David Warner is an awesome bad guy, and played many Star Trek baddies. I really don’t want to empathise with the bad guy, I want them to be pure evil on a stick, and get their comeuppance. This is where Disney started to get it wrong. Not a decent baddie since Hades. Take Jungle book. Was Shere Khan a twat because he didn’t get enough attention as a cub? No, it’s because he’s a bad ass Mutha Trucker.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Extra Skater ‏@ExtraSkater 6m View translation
    Introducing CHL statistics http://wp.me/p3Z7pu-4B

we live in a rarefied age.

27. Cameron says:

I have a friend who will still on occasion express his displeasure with where an argument is going by looking me straight in the eye and saying ‘there are FOUR LIGHTS’!.

Thanks for the unexpected nedrgasm !

28. blainer says:

Stralman plays in the weak East. I just don’t think a small Dman like him will be the same out west and especially in our division. I know the analytics love him….but.. in the west it WILL be different. Ference looked better also on a strong team in a weak conference. I am very wary of any players coming from the east. I would rather get players that can play against the big boys in our division. Someone with a decent corsi who has proven he can handle the load.

29. blainer says:

David:
    My top twelve rankings. I put a lot of weight into boxcars.

- Reinhart
    - Draisaitl
    - Ekblad
    - Ehlers
    - Bennett
    - Fiala
    - Fabbri
    - Dal Colle
    - Nylander
    - Barbashev
    - Kapanen
    - Virtanen

David:
    My top twelve rankings. I put a lot of weight into boxcars.

- Reinhart
    - Draisaitl
    - Ekblad
    - Ehlers
    - Bennett
    - Fiala
    - Fabbri
    - Dal Colle
    - Nylander
    - Barbashev
    - Kapanen
    - Virtanen

David:
    My top twelve rankings. I put a lot of weight into boxcars.

- Reinhart
    - Barbashev
    - Kapanen
    - Virtanen

David: Quote

30. raventalon40 says:

blainer:
    Stralman plays in the weak East. I just don’t think a small Dman like him will be the same out west and especially in our division.I know the analytics love him….but.. in the west it WILL be different. Ference looked better also on a strong team in a weak conference. I am very wary of any players coming from the east. I would rather get players that can play against the big boys in our division. Someone with a decent corsi who has proven he can handle the load.

Poor Anton Stralman, not being able to compete against Western Conference players…

Or wait, never mind. Maybe you mean a different Anton Stralman than the one I’m talking about…
    :D

The difference between Ference and Stralman is that Ference’s numbers were already middling-to-weak before he came over.

31. blainer says:

David,

My top Five are the same as MacKenzie’s last post.
    Ekblad

Reinhart

Bennett

Draisitll

Dal Colle

I do think it will be interesting to see if the oilers do pick Ekblad over Draisaitl. Tough Call IMO. I think Sam Bennett may be this years Sean Coutouier though. Can see him slipping to seventh if Buffalo doesn’t take him. No way the oilers draft this player.

32. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Extra Skater ‏@ExtraSkater6m View translation
    Introducing CHL statistics http://wp.me/p3Z7pu-4B

we live in a rarefied age.

This crude keyboard is incapable of sufficiently translating my feelings on this development.

Thanks for bringing this up.

33. blainer says:

raventalon40,

Ya saw Ference make the same kind of plays the year the won the cup. Beware of the the finals. Still not sold on this player because of a few plays in the finals. We need size and skill back there and would rather use that money on somebody bigger with a good corsi. Just see him as another expensive Ference….sorry JMO..

34. raventalon40 says:

blainer:
    raventalon40,

In short, I don’t agree. He may end up being overpaid for what he does, but he is a free agent after all. He may not be an ideal solution but he is an improvement, which frees up another asset to be traded if the need arises. I’d prefer Ehrhoff, but meh.

As a stopgap, that may allow a Klefbom+Gagner trade for that big veteran 2nd line centerman we need.

Ehrhoff-Petry
    Marincin-Nikitin
    Ference-Schultz
    Fraser

or

Nikitin-Petry
    Marincin-Stralman
    Ference-Schultz
    Fraser

Not the best fantasy blue line but still a bit more veteran presence than last year’s edition.

35. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Extra Skater ‏@ExtraSkater6m View translation
    Introducing CHL statistics http://wp.me/p3Z7pu-4B

we live in a rarefied age.

Wow. Very cool!!

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Extra Skater ‏@ExtraSkater6m View translation
    Introducing CHL statistics http://wp.me/p3Z7pu-4B

we live in a rarefied age.

WOWOOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!

LT finally has TOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just pure awesomeness.

Also,

Connor McDavid, as a 16 year old leads the entire CHL in 5v5 pts/60

Unreal.

37. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Extra Skater ‏@ExtraSkater6m View translation
    Introducing CHL statistics http://wp.me/p3Z7pu-4B

we live in a rarefied age.

Here’s some interesting numbers on Draisaitl: his EV GF% rel is +12.3% to Reinhart’s 15.8%, his on-ice points share at evens relative to his team was 91.8% to Reinhart’s even 90%. This kid is driving the bus.

Also, Khaira’s points share at evens was 65.8% on what has been called a lock-down Constantine team while his GF% rel was 16.3%, higher than either of the above.

38. blainer says:

speeds: I would be willing to give him 25M over 5, in a vacuum, compared to 14M over 4 for Nikitin.A marginal 1.5M to have Stralman instead of Nikitin would be worth it, IMO.But, like you say, if there are other, better values elsewhere, by all means, explore that as well, or potentially instead.

There has to be better value out there. I agree his numbers were good. If he had those numbers while playing for say.. Phoenix who play against bigger stronger teams way more often than those eastern teams… I would be all in for this player. Since he didn’t I have to say look for a player with bigger size who can do it against the bigger teams.

39. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: WOWOOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!

LT finally has TOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just pure awesomeness.

Also,

Connor McDavid, as a 16 year old leads the entire CHL in 5v5 pts/60

Unreal.

He’s not bad. But I bet he’s got a Pouliot somewhere on his team helping to pad his stats. ;)

RexLibris: Zykov and Ehlers appear to come out well in the GF rel view, as well as Dal Colle. The Q absolutely owns the top of that list.

Draisaitl is 4.0/60 combined on a very average team. Jesus.

Here’s your top 10 draft eligible players in terms of 5v5 pts/60

Sam Bennett 3.5
    Robby Fabbri 3.4
    Andrew Mangiapane 3.4
    Spencer Watson 3.4
    Nikolaj Ehlers 3.2
    Kris Schmidli 3.2
    Jayce Hawryluk 3.2
    Josh Ho-Sang 3
    Leon Draisaitl 2.9
    Nikita Scherbak 2.8

42. RexLibris says:

blainer,

Wideman’s contract in Calgary is viewed by many as a bit of a boat anchor and he is making 5×5 and producing some offense as well.

Nikitin is not worth a Wideman contract either by way of dollars or term. MacTavish needs to find his price and stick to or near it.

If he can’t interest him by offering something in the range of the Ference deal (preferably less) then he’d best walk away and find another option.

Woodguy:
    Here’s your top 10 draft eligible players in terms of 5v5 pts/60

Sam Bennett 3.5
    Robby Fabbri3.4
    Andrew Mangiapane3.4
    Spencer Watson3.4
    Nikolaj Ehlers3.2
    Kris Schmidli3.2
    Jayce Hawryluk3.2
    Josh Ho-Sang3
    Leon Draisaitl2.9
    Nikita Scherbak2.8

44. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Draisaitl is … Jesus.

Kind of Mad Magazine’d your quote there, but I think that is what we’re starting to believe around here.

45. blainer says:

raventalon40,

Ya I could go along with Stralman if we didn’t have Ference there. I do like that first set of pairings but really do not want Fraser in any kind of capacity. There has to a better player there for that extra D.

Man I wish we had this info from past drafts so we could look at high end players from later rounds (Subban, Weber, Keith etc) and try to find a common thread.

47. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I agree that using Relative X with these stats will tell a truer story than straight line stats.

I generally defer to rel stats as they put a player within a group of peers, either by competition or teammates, but doing so in junior ranks is a necessity, I think. The age difference doesn’t look big on paper but common sense would tell you there is a world of difference between a 16 and 18 year old, let alone the occasional 19 and 20 year old.

Boxcars are shiny but don’t mean anything until taken into a broader context. Those who ignore the context, be they scouts, fans or media, are welcome to their ignorance, in my opinion.

48. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

Until they add EVpoise/60 I don’t think we’ll find that out.

49. blainer says:

RexLibris:
    blainer,

Now that is very well said. Stupid things are done in Free Agency….ie..Clarkson..just barely dodged that bullet..

Who in Christ is Kris Schmidli?

51. blainer says:

blainer,

Now that is very well said. Don’t be stupid in Free Agencey.. RE Clarkson…

52. blainer says:

Woodguy:
    Here’s your top 10 draft eligible players in terms of 5v5 pts/60

Sam Bennett 3.5
    Robby Fabbri3.4
    Andrew Mangiapane3.4
    Spencer Watson3.4
    Nikolaj Ehlers3.2
    Kris Schmidli3.2
    Jayce Hawryluk3.2
    Josh Ho-Sang3
    Leon Draisaitl2.9
    Nikita Scherbak2.8

Do you think this changes things on how the top teams will draft and do teams consider how those stats are based on the quality of the teams they played on?

53. Rondo says:

I thought Sam Bennett was suppose to be the best 2-way player of the 3 centres but it looks like he is on the ice 32% of the time shorthanded.

54. RexLibris says:

Who in Christ is Kris Schmidli?

Sounds like a Prendergast pick candidate.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Who in Christ is Kris Schmidli?

who is Andrew Mangiapane?

56. raventalon40 says:

blainer:
    raventalon40,

It’s still an improvement IMO and it’s hard to get a decent defenseman for less than 4 million now anyway. We wish they were all Niklas Hjalmarsson or Jan Hejda but that’s not realistic.

I wonder if Aaron Rome would be an upgrade over Fraser? He’d come cheap, at least.

57. Caramel Obvious says:

Beware people who turn the difference in conferences into a mystical quality. The western conference is better but a) it’s a difference in degree not kind and b) you still play 37% of your games against the other conference.

Not signing Stralman because he played in the eastern conference is ludicrous. The difference isn’t anywhere near large enough to be considered in free agent signings.

58. Caramel Obvious says:

So Sam Bennett is the clear #1 now. Younger and a better scorer than the other contenders. This debate is pretty much over. If he falls and the Oilers don’t take him it will be a disaster. Draisatl over Reinhart is also a clear choice.

59. blainer says:

Caramel Obvious,

So I guess then you are in for the Stralman signing. I am still for drafting Draisaitl over Bennet but am beginning to wonder after the latest news. I also wonder about the difference in the quality of the two leagues from year to year as well. So do you take Bennet over Ekblad. One thing is for sure…we are getting a great player..

60. Caramel Obvious says:

blainer,

I’m all-in on Stralman. Whatever the going rate happens to be.

My list is for the draft is probably Bennett, Draisatl, trade down and draft Ehlers, Ekblad, Reinhart.

61. gcw_rocks says:

man, I never realized how much of a trekie I must be. I recognized that “four lights” line immediately.