NO MEMORIES HANGIN’ ROUND

So far this spring, the Edmonton Oilers have been involved in several rumors that have made it so MSM and beyond. It easy to forget those names during the long spring, and since we’re coming up on moving week, maybe this is a good time to list all of the players attached to the Oilers. Feel free to add or delete and I’ll adjust as needed, I’ve thrown in a few names we’ve discussed in the last months here and a few personal favorites to boot.

Phoenix Coyotes v San Jose Sharks

• D Matt Greene: I don’t remember the first mention, but it’s been out there.
  • D Derek Engelland: Matty iirc. 6-7 D, he’d be auditioning for the same job as Greene.
  • D Kris Letang: This goes back a little while.
  • D Dmitry Kulikov: Maybe it’s just me.
  • D Dion Phaneuf: I’d trade for him, most others do not like this option.
  • D Nikita Nikitin: I think the Howson connection makes this go.
  • D Keith Yandle: Chaos blue, not the guy I’d want to see here.
  • D Braydon Coburn: Veteran defender MacT had interest in one year ago.
  • D Mike Green: A fleeting thought.
  • D Mark Fayne: Has an entire fan club in the Oilogosphere.
  • D Andrei Markov: Veteran free agent rumored to be re-signing in Montreal.
  • D Jack Johnson: Oh, he’s out there.
  • D Zach Bogosian: I still like him plenty.
  • D Christian Ehrhoff: Sabres making him available.
  • D Matt Niskanen: Cadillac of UFA blue this season.
  • D Johnny Oduya: A valuable player.
  • D Johnny Boychuk: Bruins rumored to be looking to reduce cap.
  • D Mike Weaver: I like him, always have.
  • D Dustin Byfuglien: I don’t understand why people don’t love him.
  • D Alex Edler: If he’s available, Oilers needs to call.
  • D Tom Gilbert: I don’t think he’s coming back.
  • D Ron Hainsey: Might be the best value in the group of UFA’s.
  • D Anton Stralman: Gunnar says he wants to play in Manhattan.

moss

• C Jason Spezza: I doubt he comes to Edmonton.
  • C Brayden Schenn: I think this began around the Eberle/Simmons period last fall.
  • C James van Riemsdyk: An apparently available option.
  • C Ryan O’Reilly: Top drawer.
  • C Nazem Kadri: Would be an intriguing option.
  • C David Legwand: He’ll cost the moon, don’t know how much he has left.
  • C Josh Bailey: His name has been out there a little.
  • C Mikhail Grabovski: A strong option if available.
  • C Ryan Kesler: I’d love to see him here.
  • C Mike Richards: Only if bought out.
  • C Vladimir Sobotka: Universally adored by Oiler fans.
  • C Patrik Berglund: This is probably the last good chance to grab him.
  • C Michal Handzus: As of yesterday, wildly disappointing name to contemplate.
  • L James Neal: Skill winger who could help this team.
  • L RJ Umberger: Veteran whose skills are eroding.
  • L Bryan Bickell: A big winger, Oilers will be looking for one.
  • L Rene Bourque: I sincerely believe the Oilers will try to acquire him.
  • L Kyle Clifford: He’s been talked about in the past.
  • L Dustin Penner: The man remains a load.
  • L Nikolai Kulemin: Love this player for the Oilers.
  • L Brad Marchand: Bruins are trading players for less than 100 cents on the dollar.
  • L Patrick Maroon: I always liked him.
  • L Curtis Glencross: Always kept the candle lit.
  • R Drew Stafford: Hi, Matty!
  • R Daniel Winnik: Always a favorite, good two-way player with mentor skills.
  • R David Moss: We’ve been talking about him so long feels like he’s played here already.
  • R Patric Hornqvist: Alan Hull mentions him a lot.

I’ll add or subtract as you wish, but would like to create a laundry list for use this summer. So, please pass along any and all suggestions.

Edmonton Oilers v Montreal CanadiensBob Nicholson will be announced today as a member of the Edmonton Oilers organization. There’s already a lot of rumor and discussion about what this might mean for Kevin Lowe, and there’s much speculation about his stepping away today. As you can imagine, there’s also plenty of joy over the possibility, but I won’t be joining in the parade today. Although there are many Kevin Lowe moves we can point to as being net negatives for this organization, and he should pay for them, I would have hoped Lowe saw fit to hang around for the redemption song.

If this is sail on, I want to thank Kevin Lowe. For being a wonderful player, for representing Edmonton and the Oilers so well, for giving back to the community as a young man and an older one, for being a good person, in and for, our town. There is no rage here, only respect and a sincere hope today isn’t the day he steps away.

You may express your rage with this blog’s author in the comments section, I will not filter. I do ask that you keep personal comments about Kevin Lowe out of this piece, and I will delete them if you don’t respect my wishes in this matter.

LOWDOWN

It’s a fluid show this morning, we’ll cover the Nicholson event, and plan on having Steve Lansky, Dave Jamieson and Harrison Mooney on at some point this morning. I’ll also be off a few days in the next couple of weeks (World Cup and holidays combine for a happy window for me), so hope you’ll drop by the blog for visits as we lead up to the draft.

83 Responses to "NO MEMORIES HANGIN’ ROUND"

1. Bar_Qu says:

If the Oilers acquire Rene Bourque, we will have Raffi Torres v2, with less of the skill and all of the infuriating.

Other than that, there are several good players on that list, but goodness sakes, do bad teams ever get tagged with a lot of rumors.

2. j says:

There a lot of names on that list that could have an immediate impact on this team. I sincerely hope that at least 2-3 of these (or from other trade options) come to fruition. There really is a chance this team can turn around within 2 seasons – there is so much talent there. Regarding Lowe, I have your back LT. He has done as much for hockey in this city as anyone and his legacy will be a good one in my books. That said, the two management moves this fortnight have been absolute bliss.

3. sumaclab says:

Klowe stays as POHO.BN as CEO of Rexall Sports and Entertainment. Need a hockey guy with business knowledge to bride the gapthat KLOWE fails to fill. Not his fault but KLOWEis a hockey guy. I also believe BN represents a move that will see Rexall Sports expand its Sports properties outside the Edmonton market. I see this move as an introduction to bigger and brighter time here in Edmonton. would its surprise anyone if the World Cup of Hockey in 2016 plays a few games in New Rexall? good move hiring BN. But I think KLOWE remains POHO.

4. nqmt says:

Say what you will about Kevin Lowe, that man bled copper and blue. The two times I’ve had the chance to speak with him, he would gush whenever the conversation was about the Oilers. I may be angry at his more recent moves and comments but he will always be a proper Oiler to me

5. mumbai max says:

Markov

I agree with the positives about KLowe. He gave thirty+ years of blood sweat and tears to the Oil. If any of us holds up the last 30 years of work, there are probably bits we are not proud of. That being true, we would not want to be judged on our worthiness as a person based on some bad results, or ill timed rants. He gave his all, on the ice and off. The guy is a great Oiler. Hang him from the rafters. I mean his JERSEY of course.

And he DID win a bunch of cups. I forget how many.

6. frjohnk says:

nqmt:
    Say what you will about Kevin Lowe, that man bled copper and blue. The two times I’ve had the chance to speak with him, he would gush whenever the conversation was about the Oilers.I may be angry at his more recent moves and comments but he will always be a proper Oiler to me

7. Henry says:

Would like to see Dustin Penner on that list.

Edit: Duh, he is.

8. RexLibris says:

Dave Jamieson as a guest. Clever, LT. Very clever. If the deities involved in press conferences and breaking news really do see him as the Chosen One then this might just fool them into making something break during your interview with him.

There are plenty of names on that list above that make me worry. Still not on the Phaneuf bandwagon, if only because his price is inflated relative to what this team needs, imo. And please heaven no to Rene Bourque. He’s the guy you add when you are close, like Kris Versteeg, not the one you bring in when you are still trying to create momentum and fashion good work habits.

So, how about the 3rd overall for Ryan O’Reilly? I had argued the Flames should offer up their 4th for him a while back, what about the Oilers? He’d likely throw the payscale out the window but he’d be one heck of a tandem with Nugent-Hopkins.

9. Hammers says:

I would add Santorelli UFA from Vancouver who went to Van and did a credible job until injured . Played about 45 games & 30 points so was on track for what Gags should get 45-50 points . Not sure exact $$ figure but under $ 1 mill maybe 800 K last year . Played a 200′ game and Probably Gillis’s best hire . Plus I don’t see Stastny there but big bucks .

10. book¡je says:

I agree LT and hopes Lowe stays on and that the team enjoys some success.

11. D says:

My hope is that Nicholson means Kevin Lowe stays, but able to focus on the really high-end business matters, while Nicholson bridges the gap.

12. Hammers says:

frjohnk: I loved him as a player. I think he did a fine job as coach, then as GM. Peaking in 06. The Tambellini era was a low point. I hope he stays on in some capacity.

13. frjohnk says:

RexLibris:

I would even throw in something else to get Oreilly, but if I am Colorado, their time to compete is now and in the next few years, so by getting an asset that might take 2 or 3 years to develop, might not be the best idea. I think if Colorado signs Statsny and shops Oreilly, they would be looking for a D man.

14. flyfish1168 says:

I only would be looking for players on this side of 30 and from winning teams. These are the players that is under appreciated for what they can can bring to the game and would be the one that want to prove it. I don’t want players from losing organizations and on the wrong side of 30.

15. Younger Oil says:

IIRC, Colin Wilson, Brock Nelson, Jordan Staal, and Brandon Sutter have been mentioned a decent amount around here, not sure if any of those are actual rumors or just players fans want.

16. Jordan says:

Hammers: Kevin was a good player , warrior , OK coach with little to really work with and I thought he did a credible job as GM then President . 1 mistake hiring Tambellini but I hope my mistakes were only 1 . I expect him to stay today .

Suggesting Lowe only made one mistake is… infuriating? Laughable? Depressing?

There’s 8+ years of blog history here and elsewhere that outline the mistakes he was/is/has made, many before Toonces, and many after (not firing him sooner).

I’m not going to list them because thinking about it all is a source of stress and frustration that I neither want nor need today, but Kevin Lowe’s role with the Oilers since that magical run in 2006 is just like a case of hemmeroids – even if I’m not thinking about it, I still know it’s there and it still rubs me the wrong way.

17. russ99 says:

Re: Lowe:

You don’t hire a guy like Bob Nicholson and keep the same stale management structure in place, you let him remake the org the same way he’s successfully done in the past.

If this means a reduction or elimination of the old Boys on the Bus network, I’m all for it.

But with Kevin Lowe, despite how you can criticize his record as GM/president, you can’t question his commitment to the city of Edmonton and the Oilers both as a player and in the front office.

Personally, a reassignment wouldn’t be a bad idea, as he has a lot to give the organiation despite his failures as President of Hockey Operations.

18. russ99 says:

flyfish1168,

Agreed.

The idea of spending huge FA cash or trade assets on expensive players over 30 is a bad idea, and frankly not that far off from what Tambellini did to us.

19. Ice Sage says:

‘Nicholsontide’ doesn’t have quite the same ring

20. Andy P says:

Kevin is the GM that gave MacT the roster that he coached to G7 of the Cup run in 2006. Right now Kevin plays a vital role in being a sounding board both for Katz and MacT. Lots of people have no idea exactly what a valuable role he has played in this regard since MacT replaced Tambo. We’ll all find out when he leaves and MacT has to fight his own battles, although if he reports to Nicholson, that may not be so bad.

In terms of false positives, I think Kevin’s loyalty may have got in the way of good business judgement more than once or twice. Kevin kept Tambo way past his due date which has caused a great deal of harm to this franchise, in all sorts of ways.

But there is another element that may have played a more devastating role in preventing the resurgence of this franchise than many could ever conceive. I’m saying this because I have seen companies and departments fail on account of people like these.

Typically very conniving, did something way back to earn their stripes, extremely ambitious, popular among their target audience, incapable of performing in the role that they are targeting or occupying, and incapable of understanding their own shortcomings.

Once in one of those roles, obviously incapable of seeing what they can’s see, that causes them to fall short, conniving enough to pass the blame on to everyone but themselves, use the higher-ups that give them credence to make their case. Undermine people at every level until the organization finally collapses and then move on to another hunting ground.

Consider the damage such a person may have done as an Oiler Assistant Coach, whose ambition was to install themselves as the HC heir apparent. Join the organization under the last successful coach they had, and in their first season, the HC finds that the team is quitting on him to the point that he tenders his resignation for the exact reason that he has tried everything and nothing works. For the reason that nobody who knows what is good for them, will say a word because they know there is no winning that battle.

New coach no 1. comes in, excellent resume, team gets worse. Players start getting stifled. Turns out that Coach is too set in his old fashioned ways, out he goes to be replaced by new coach #2. Assistants too embedded with Higher ups to allow the NC2 to choose his own team, players stifled, development stalled, NC2 obviously a nice guy, but hey, can’t get the job done, the players quit on him just like the last 2 coaches under the tenure of the Assistant.

And so it goes. NC3 comes in, now this one is a prime motivator and finds a way to motivate the team in spite of the Assistant, and/or understands how to handle the person to some degree. the undermining continues, the players quit on the coach late in the season, rinse, wash, repeat. Surprise move, in comes NC4. Not good enough. Competent, core players ask to be transferred out. Free agents refuse to sign here. Player development remains stifled. Players that do well elsewhere decline. Core players plateau. Team falls apart and the season is a failure despite a better roster. Fans call for the coach’s head.

Thank Gord we have a GM who has an MBA and as such likely understands something about organizational behavior, and unlike his predecessor, has stronger connections with the higher up than the termite Assistant does, does the right thing, and does everything he can to help NC succeed, including allowing him to try the novel experiment of a Head Coach choosing their own Assistants. Voila! problem solved.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that Kevin kept Bucky and Steve way past the time it became apparent that they were incapable of performing the Assistant Coach role at the level required for NHL teams to become competitive, which is little more than naked cronyism and to his detriment.

Having made those mistakes, it is to his credit that he is allowing MacT to re-assign Bucky and Smith, and pick new Assistants that will give Dallas the best chance of success next season. I still think his role of interfacing between Katz and MacT is a valuable one, but perhaps we may after all be better off if MacT is able to interface directly with Katz – or Nicholson.

21. Jonathan Willis says:

D Brett Bellemore.

Also, Spector mentioned Ron Hainsey in that piece yesterday.

22. bendelson says:

Ummm… Kulemin?
    You know – the Pisani-type we have been talking about for years?

No love for Nikolai?

Plus, please put Goc on the list. He is mentioned every so often and ignored everytime but is an interesting option…

23. maddex says:

Phaneuf is not all-world, but he would be a great fit imo, wrote about it here http://www.vavel.com/en-us/nhl/350111-dion-phaneuf-and-the-edmonton-oilers.html

It would do Kevin Lowe some good to step away for a while and get some perspective.

His “I know about winning” rant showed us that he really didn’t have any idea about how he or the Oilers are perceived by everyone who doesn’t work on Kingsway.

In an organization as insular as the OIlers its easy to see how it could happen.

Having your beliefs re-affirmed by those around you everyday can lead you to some peculiar beliefs when those beliefs are not tested by outside experts.

Pretty straight forward Management 101 stuff and nothing unique to the Oilers.

A 1-2 year sabbatical, maybe at Hockey Canada would help give him some perspective.

There is no denying the man’s intentions, regardless of how poor a manager he became.

Helluva player too.

25. cdean says:

No Stastny?

26. leadfarmer says:

Kevin Lowe can join Garth Snow and Mike Milbury in the group of men who have no idea how to run a hockey club

27. leadfarmer says:

If MacT gets Coburn and Ehroff to start next season or similar caliber players then we are ready to compete otherwise another rebuilding year

28. CurtisS says:

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 3m
    Don’t under estimate the role of Kevin Lowe in getting Nicholson to join Katz group. Lowe and Nicholson are expected to work very closely.

Looks like Lowe is staying on board, and this is just going to be a addition, unless LaForge moves on?

I look at this hiring as Katz realizing that he needs someone to keep tabs on his buddies who run the Oilers.

That’s not a snarky statement.

Lowe and MacT are his buddies in real life, and they run the Oilers.

After this many years of futility he finally realized that he needed someone between he and them because he’s too close to them.

He needed an objective “hockey guy” manager to evaluate Lowe and MacT’s performance because he couldn’t rely on himself to do it.

He’s too close to them, and he’s not a hockey guy.

Up until now, Lowe and MacT were his “hockey guys”

Also,

I’m not sold on Nicholson being a good hockey guy.

Managing Hockey Canada in terms of hockey teams is hiring managers who won’t over-think things and fuck it up.

Given the results from that tourney the last 5 years I’d suggest that when it comes to hiring hockey managers for that job, Nicholson has failed miserably, or at the very least has moved away from what was working before. ( I know other countries are getting better, but the results are pretty poor for the last 5 years with teams full of “charcter and role” players)

Interesting times.

30. Wolfie says:

I mentioned him in a previous thread. There hasn’t been any connection to the Oilers as of yet, but if he gets to UFA, I would definitely like to see them target Benoit Pouliot. He scored plenty in junior and is in the prime of his career. He’s showing well in the playoffs but he still might be under the radar a bit.

CurtisS:
    John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet3m
    Don’t under estimate the role of Kevin Lowe in getting Nicholson to join Katz group.Lowe and Nicholson are expected to work very closely.

Makes sense.

Katz wants someone to keep tabs on Lowe and MacT so Lowe works his ass off to make sure its someone he has a good relationship with.

32. Truth says:

I like the idea of Nicholson coming in and Lowe out. Lowe did work some magic in 05-06 and I will never forget that, but his management reign has been largely unsuccessful.

Hasn’t Gretzky been searching for a high up position for an NHL team? Hasn’t Gretzky worked with Nicholson on past Olympics and WC’s? One boy on the bus out the most famous back in. Nah, Janet would never want to live in Edmonton…

Edit: and I’m about 3 posts too late. Looks like Lowe stays

33. Racki says:

I don’t see klowe being out of the picture yet (not sure if this stuff has been announced yet.. Just catching up thus am). But since we are all saying our yoogoolagies to him, I have both a respect and disdain for Kevin Lowe. I respect the Kevin Lowe that turned the other cheek while the blow hard in Anaheim (at the time) ripped him apart for the Penner offer sheet. I liked the guy who took the high road. I didn’t even mind when he finally snapped back. I didn’t like that Lowe allowed MacKinnon (?) to get under his skin, which spawned the fan tier system we all now joke about. He lost it then. To play devils advocate, he’s been severely villified here as this guy who is either a bumbling Fool or someone who is an arrogant ass that hates this city and team.

The fact is he really loves this city and team and cares a lot about making a winner. It’s clear he failed but I can’t get on the bandwagon and drag him through the mud like all these pitchfork wielding crazies do. I’d like him to move on partly for the sake of change and partly so that we can stop beating up on a guy who has given his all to make the team a winner (and yes I do know he failed).. The guy that still bleeds copper and blue.

The same goes for Katz. Not a fan of seeing his name torn apart because it’s obvious how passionate he is about this city and team , but like Lowe, perhaps he should be disconnected from this team more.

Thanks for the names, men and ladies (I wish!). :-) I’ve added a few and will finish after the show. We’ll have the presser at 10 and then slide into the show afterwards with Lansky, etc.

35. gd says:

Jonathan Willis,

Bellemore looks like a reasonable bet to be the next Stralman type guy (23-27 yr old unheralded Dman who is just looking for the right opportunity to become a T4 Dman). My hope is the Oilers focus on finding this kind of guy rather than overpay for a guy like Niskanen. Stralman unfortunately looks like this year’s Bickell in a guy who might have been signed to a value contract, but his play and notoriety in the playoffs is getting him more than an extra $1Mill a year then he would have two months ago.

If the Oilers take LD would Olli Jokinen not be a reasonable and affordable place holder for 2nd line C for two years? I know he’s mediocre, but he is at least a legit NHL 2nd line C.

36. Caramel Obvious says:

So what we are saying is that everyone has been rumoured to be coming to the Oilers.

This is the night in which all cows are black.

37. delooper says:

You missed Hemsky! Hemsky! You even have an article pining for him to return. Don’t forget the Czech!

38. frjohnk says:

I’m not happy with Lowe over the last 8 years or so but there is a part of me that does not want Lowe to step down as it signals the “fans” ( or the “crazies” as one NHL player dad has said) who go over the top have won. Nothing wrong with voicing ones opinion but many crazies have taken some things too far. And this has reflected negatively on the true fans.

Some fans have done a wonderful job in helping drive some players out, and some fans have also helped in us not attracting some key free agents as well. I have heard of a few players born in western Canada who won’t even look at Edmonton as a destination because of the crazy fanbase. And when they say fanbase, they are mentioning the crazies who put up billboards, throw jerseys on the ice, start facebook pages and dedicate their life to driving out players/personnel out of the city, etc. You know, Ray Finkle stuff!

I think if Lowe goes, so should the crazies.

I would love for Lowe to stay in some capacity, I’d love it even more to see him raising a cup in 4 years as an oiler.

39. nycoil says:

Lecavalier on the block according to Dreger (but has NMC). If he’d waive to go to Edmonton, I could see the Oilers making a push to have him as 2C, though his skills have clearly declined. Cost probably won’t be prohibitive. Philly needs cap space.

40. Ribs says:

I like the idea of Lecavalier. It shouldn’t cost much to get him. He’s a team guy that won’t get in the way of the youngsters, he can help the powerplay, and he adds size to lineup. His contract is long but it’s not a crippling amount of money.

His injury history is of some concern.

41. G Money says:

Lowe’s last many years are a perfect example of a defining characteristic being both a great strength and a great weakness.

I do not doubt Lowe’s love of Edmonton, nor do I doubt his burning desire for the Oilers to win. Just as he was on the ice, I’m sure he’s a nasty guy to be on the wrong side of (and if the barn fight between he and Burke had come to pass, I’d bet on Lowe over the fat blowhard every time).

That desire to win, combined with some savvy, enabled him to pluck Pronger away from St Loo, plus bring in other key building blocks that brought his team within one lousy strained ligament of winning a Stanley Cup.

It seems clear that this series of events also became Lowe’s watershed, and his burning desire to win became his greatest weakness.

All the (mostly bad) moves he made after that reflected that same belief and a desire to win now, but seem to have overcome his savvy in the process.

“We were so close. Just one player away. If I can just add that one key player, we can win it again”.

Meanwhile, the true strength of the team – depth, character, “grit” guys on bargain contracts, and with it the entire development pipeline – slowly drip-drip-dripped away from under him.

I think he’s smart enough to realize that he wasn’t effective anymore, and kicked himself upstairs. Unfortunately, his last act in that regard – hiring Tambo – was far and away the most destructive of all.

So – I can admire Lowe for his aggressiveness. I can respect him for his savvy. I appreciate him for his love of Edmonton and his desire to win.

But as POHO – I think it’s fair to say that staleness and perhaps even burnout set in a long time ago. He is NOT good at this job, and he needs to move on.

42. Maurey says:

Names for UFA market:
    I think Devin Setoguchi could be a good 3rd/4th RW option. He’s big and could play up and down the right side lineup as he has shown success as a scorer in the past. Could probably get him cheap as his production has dropped off a bit and he’s from northern Alberta so Edmonton is is home team.

Peter Mueller has indicated he’d like to come back to the NHL. He’s got size, speed and he shoots a lot. His concussions seem to be a thing of the past. Would sign for cheap.

Chad Johnson. Boston is looking at shedding contracts so probably won’t resign him as they have 2 upcoming goalies in the system. Small sample size but no smaller than Fasth’s. both have played 37 NHL games. Fasth has a .915pct and 2.40 avg. Johnson has a .926pct and 2.07avg. Johnson’s from Saskatoon so Edmonton is his home team. You can probably sign Johnson cheaper than Fasth’s 2.9M so it’s a win win. Then you can trade Fasth for help on D or bottom 6. I think after stealing Boston’s goalie you could trade Fasth for Johnny Boychuk who is paid 3.7M and in the final year of his contract.

MacT mentioned he was looking for bottom D. I don’t know why!?!? But, if so, he could look at Tyson Strachan in Washington. 6′-3″ 29 year old who played over 17 min. Still, why get more of what they already have. Bottom half defenders.

TRADES
    I think the most likely trade partners are eastern teams that are looking to shed contracts. Nobody wants to give up a player that is going to help their opposition beat them numerous times during the year.
    BOSTON
    Johnny Boychuk (RD) – Edmonton born player in final year of contract could be first pair right D and great mentor. Last year but there is a good chance he’d resign for his hometown team. Joe Morrow is a good young RD with potential stuck behind a lot of good D. Not sure Boston would give him up though. In his final year of contract.
    OTTAWA
    Spezza has been mentioned lots lately, but I think Clarke MacArthur (LW) would be a great fit in Edmonton. Again, hometown kid (sensing a pattern?) from Lloydminster. Great two-way forward with a big enough contract and in his final year that Ottawa might be willing to get rid of him. Could play 2nd to 3rd line and PK. He scores at a decent pace. He’d be one of my top targets. Also in their final years in Ottawa are Jared Cowen (LD) and Eric Gryba (RD), but they’re young enough that I think Ottawa would want to hold onto them. Cowen may turn out to be a minute eating monster in the not too distant future. They’re both form Saskatoon.
    FLORIDA
    Scottie Upshall (LW) is in the final year of his contract with the Panthers. Similar to MacArthur. He could play up and down the LW and he has some scoring ability. He would be great against toughs and PK. He’s from Fort McMurray, so there is a good chance of resign after final year is up. also in his final year is Alex Petrovic (RD), form Edmonton, but again, as with Cowen and Gryba, Florida may want to hold onto the big RD to see what he can become. He’s got good arrows for turning into a great defender. Drew Shore (C) and Quinton Howden (LW/C) may be other good options in Florida.
    PHILADELPHIA
    Brayden Schenn (C) is an RFA and has been mentioned. He may be looking for a big salary. Maybe the Flyers won’t want to pay it and will look at shipping him, especially if that trade partner is willing to take Luke Schenn’s 3.6M salary off their hands. Luke (RD) has 2 years left at 3.6M so offloading him may make trading Brayden more attractive. Luke would be a great 3rd pairing right defender. not much more than that. He’s got size, hits like crazy and can fight if needed. I’d rather have that than a Gazdic, especially if it helps get Brayden as 2nd/3rd center. They could also try to get back Marcel Noebels (C/LW) in the deal. If the Oilers draft Draisaitl, it would be great to have one of the only other promising young German players. Too bad Tambellini got rid of Reider. Grrr, Tambo.

43. Racki says:

G Money,

I honestly think burnout is a big part of the Lowe we see today that snaps back at media who question a guy with “six cup rings” who “knows a thing or two about winning”. You can only poke the bear so long. Well.. Maybe poking a bear once is too much.. You can only poke a retired hockey player with six cup rings for so long. :P

44. slopitch says:

I’d pass on Lecavalier. Hes buyout fodder. He was junk in the playoffs. The game leaves players at different times in there career. Unfortunately, it happened at a young age for Vinny.

I consider being a fan of a team like being in a relationship. Ups, downs, good, bad, joy and sorrow. Ive been an Oilers fan since I remember (late 80s) and Kevin Lowe has been a part of it almost the whole time. He won the cups, came back to live here and fought to keep the team around and keep them competitive. If they emerge through this, I wont remember 2007-2014. Same as I don’t really remember 1992-1997. Losing all those greats for peanuts was probably harder then the rebuild where the expectations were always low. I’m a helpless fan and I am fine with him being around as well and cant blame Katz for being loyal. I do like the idea of him being a soundboard rather then a decision maker and dont want him to be a GM. But he’s an Oiler.

45. Racki says:

Lecavalier fits the Oilers MO.. Used to be a good player? Check. Desperate to prove he’s still got it? Possibly. Likely going to work out for us? Not likely.

I fear that one coming to fruition. I’d love it for year one probably but he’s got 4 years left doesn’t he? Already slowing down.. That doesn’t bold well for it being good in the long run. His contract isn’t terrible, but I’d be nervous. Seems khabibulinesque. It’s hard to really know with those players. It doesn’t sound worth the risk though even though he had some great years.

That said, I wouldn’t be upset if it did happen, but I definitely have way higher hopes

46. nycoil says:

Re: Lecavalier. Yup, I am not advocating for the team to acquire him. Just adding his name to the pile based on Dreger’s comments.

47. G Money says:

Racki: You can only poke the bear so long. Well.. Maybe poking a bear once is too much..

We were at our cabin in the Kootenays last summer and were walking back to the cabin from the lake when we came across a Grizzly. Fully grown. About 50 ft away when we saw him lumbering out of the trees – on our neighbours property across from ours.

Luckily another neighbour was driving by and we piled the kids into their car. We then watched from a safe distance while the bear wandered down towards the lake, through our next door neighbours property (appropriately named “The Bears Den”).

Since then, my wife has bear nightmares, especially whenever we talk about taking the kids cycling or hiking.

In my head, I imagine this is exactly the reaction a typical ON poster would have if they saw Lowe on the street!

48. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Lowe and Nicholson are peers. Vice Chairs of the new OEG (just a few vowels away from EIG). The vice chair titles are interesting because Nicholson will still have his IIHF hat. That opens the door for Lowe to take an outside role and still be a Vice Chair. The following wording is also interesting: Lowe will maintain a “leadership role with the organization’s Hockey Operations. Not his. Not the. A. So they have lots of options open as this transitions.

The Katz Group launched the Oilers Entertainment Group, which is a new sports and entertainment company that will manage the Katz Group’s “growing family of sports and entertainment assets.”

The corporate structure announced today includes Daryl Katz serving as Chairmen, with Kevin Lowe and Bob Nicholson serving in the role of Vice-Chairmen. Patrick LaForge becomes the President and COO.

Nicholson’s responsibilities will include fulfilling OEG’s “exciting vision” and growing the business. Lowe will continue to oversee hockey operations for the Oilers but will assist Nicholson in his role. LaForge will work with Lowe and Nicholson while being responsible for OEG’s business operations.

Mr. Nicholson recently retired as President and CEO of Hockey Canada and will assume his new role following a brief transition period. He will continue to serve as Vice-President of the International Ice Hockey Federation.

Lowe will maintain a “leadership role with the organization’s Hockey Operations.”

Lowe answered a question at the press conference pertaining to Nicholson’s role with hockey decisions. Lowe said he has great respect and a great relationship with Nicholson and that the new addition to the executive team is “As passionate in fixing the Oilers as we are.”

The team will be welcoming Nicholson’s input and help in decision making in that department.

Lowe says Nicholson sat in on the Oilers pro scout meetings and he, “will be as involved as much as we can get him and I know that will be a massive addition to our organization.”

49. G Money says:

A note on the age range of the hockey players the team should be looking for, especially on defense.

A few threads ago, WG and others postulated the dangers of older defensemen, with the key dropoff being around age 31, especially for physical defensemen.

I went looking for aging curves for defensemen to ascertain whether this was true or not. I could not find any published information supporting or disproving that assertion. There is some work on aging curves out there, but nothing specific to defensemen, and nothing indicating 31 as some sort of inflection point.

So I decided to pull some data myself and see what I could find.

Some surprising findings so far:
    - The peak age for defensemen is not 30, it appears to be 28 or so
    - The development of defensemen is linear from age 22 or so up to 28
    - The decline from 28 is also steady (and slower than the development), up to after age 35. The equivalence point is about 35 and 25 (that is to say, 25 y.o. and 35 y.o defensemen on average seem to be comparable, but one is rapidly on the way up, the other is in the middle of a steady decline)
    - There is no inflection point for the decline at age 31, though I haven’t yet separated the “physical” D from the point getters
    - The data shows a weird uptick at both extremes (18 yrs and 39 yrs),but after digging into the data, this artefact reflects the very rare defensemen who are effective at either a very young age or a very old age. That’s about two each in my sample set

I will publish the results as a FanPost over at C&B in the next couple of weeks (gotta finish my UFA D salary line in the sand article first!).

The bottom line: whether whale hunting or just looking for a Top 4 Barracuda, the sweet spot of age for D is 26 to 28. Except for those rare players who haven’t declined in effectiveness from 28 to 30, anyone approaching 30 is probably a bad hire.

50. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

That’s not a snarky statement.

Lowe and MacT are his buddies in real life, and they run the Oilers.

He’s too close to them, and he’s not a hockey guy.

Up until now, Lowe and MacT were his “hockey guys”

Also,

I’m not sold on Nicholson being a good hockey guy.

Given the results from thattourney the last 5 years I’d suggest that when it comes to hiring hockey managers for that job, Nicholson has failed miserably, or at the very least has moved away from what was working before.( I know other countries are getting better, but the results are pretty poor for the last 5 years with teams full of “charcter and role” players)

Interesting times.

Go back to his involvement in the sports complex in Hamilton a few years back. At the time it looked like he was laying the groundwork for moving the Oilers, but from my perspective it seemed like the move someone might make if they had intentions of running something bigger at a different location – practice on a similar, albeit smaller scale somewhere else.

Then we have the re-installation of the Oil Kings (which pre-dated the Hamilton bit, granted), the recent purchase of the Condors, and ownership of the Edmonton Capitals.

Nicholson may be there as a counterbalance to Lowe and MacTavish, but the organization has brought in others like Carriere, Ramsay, and Green who have only passing affiliation with the so-called Boys on the Bus group.

I believe the goal of putting NIcholson into the mix is to grow the Rexall Sports organization, as I’ve mentioned before, and I’m only partially joking that I think an eventual offer for the Edmonton Eskimos is coming.

Imagine the storylines when Katz goes to the City to ask for a new stadium.

51. RexLibris says:

Caramel Obvious:

This is the night in which all cows are black.

So then what you’re saying is that this has become a Maple Leafs’ forum.

52. RexLibris says:

Something else just occurred to me regarding Lowe/Nicholson – does this mean that we are guaranteed two or three roster spots for Oilers on all WHC and Olympic rosters?

53. Gerta Rauss says:

Flyers just announced they extended Timonen for another year. Not sure if/how this affects the Oilers, but the Philly still has a lot of money tied up on the back end

54. nycoil says:

How about Jussi Jokinen? UFA on a cap-strapped team. Good CF this year and nice boxcars, too.

55. rickithebear says:

•D Dustin Byfuglien: I don’t understand why people don’t love him.

last 3 years he has avaeraged 18.6 EVmin and 3.25 EVGA/60

versus league average that is -.92 EVGA/60 that is -23 EVG to average.
    there were 31 Forwards with GF rates that would allow you to break even.
    Hall-RNH-Eberle would not have.

who in there right mind wants a dman that eliminates the power vs. power abilty of your best line.

Schultz did that with N. schultz.
    Gilbert averaged 3.02 EVGA/60 5 of 7 years.
    you cannot waste your Top producing EVGA forwards on this EVGA.

LAK have 5 of the 10 best EVGA/60 dmen in the game. Plus most are in the .50 EVA/60 last 3 years
    #4 Martinez 1.37 EVGA/60 .47 EVA/60
    #6 Greene 1.50 EVGA/60 .53 EVA/60
    #8 Mitchell 1.61 EVGA/60 .48 EVA/60
    #9 Muzzin 1.63 EVGA/60 .58 EVA/60
    #10 Voyanov 1.66 EVAG/60 .71 EVA/60
    #29 Doughty 1.85 EVAG/60 .58 EVA/60
    #35 Reghr 1.90 EVGA/60 .39 EVA/60

Pocession is driven by puck movement to or in Ozone and FO.
    This is Forwards; Forwards; Forwards.

Corsi tells us Shite about a Dman. in regards to this.
    Corsi is the base line for Dman.

Some one has turned over the puck
    the Dmen face X corsi.
    of those
    -X miss the net; (misses)
    -X are blocked (blocks)
    -X hit the net. (shots)
    These all establish a % of Corsi on net rate for a Dman.
    Give me the Dmen with the lowest %

Then we have Shots as the next baseline.
    Give me the Dman that prevents shots from being inside 25 ft. Above 8.5% shooting% shots.
    -The low % inside 25ft Dmen.
    -Give me Dmen that reduce the success rate of Shots inside 25ft. (THIS IS YOUR SO CALLED PUCK LUCK)
    It is not puck luck it is Dman box pressure and Forward backcheck to 20 Ft from net.

Give me a Dman that has a low shots/corsi Rate and cause a low Shots and success inside 25ft.
    anything outside 25 ft is more about forward back check and Point pressure.

The other thing.
    Watch LAK. they attack on nthe Cycle and drive the net.

but I allways see them trying to get as many players in between the puck and net.

High risk pass to D man sliding in from point or cycle back down low.
    The choice seems to be more bodies between the puck.

LAK team is Box protect and end up with the best EVGA D in the game by a mile.
    Move the puck to the forwards.

Oilers dmen EVA/60 last 3 years
    Marincin .34 EVA/60 rate mostly from last half of season .50+ might be expected.
    Ference .65 EVA/60
    Petry .60 EVA/60
    J. schultz .56 EVA/60

I am confortable with this puck movement rate.

Byufglien 3.25 EVGA/60 .81 EVA/60
    Byufglien!
    I want to win!

Boychuck 1.99 EVGA/60 .53 EVGA/60 1st/1st
    Oduya 1.99 EVGA/60 .55 EVA/60 1st/ 4th
    Bellimore 1.73 EVGA/60 .37 EVA/60 with 4th line teamates. 1st/4th
    Engelland 2.09 EVGA/60 .54 EVA/60 3rd/3rd
    Niskanen 1.99 EVGA/60 .61 EVA/60 3rd/1st
    M. Greene 1.50 EVGA/60 .53 EVA/60 3rd/3rd
    Fayne 2.45 EVGA/60 .39 EVA/60 1st /2nd
    Fayne 1.68 EVGA/60 .48 EVA/60 2nd/3rd
    Gilbert 2.84 EVGA/60 .67 EVA/60 2nd/2nd
    Some people want Gilbert!
    Mezaros in PHi 2.77 EVGA/60 1.03 EVA/60 3rd/2nd
    Mezaros in BOS 1.58 EVGA/60
    Mezaros in TB/OTT 2.54 EVGA/60 .61 EVA/60 1st/3rd
    Markov 2.40 EVGA/60 .48 EVA/60 2nd/3rd
    Nikitin 2.13 EVGA/60 .51 EVA/60 2nd/2nd cannot handle 1st 3.00+ EVGA/60

56. G Money says:

nycoil,

Yeah, he’d be a decent ‘un to enhance 3/4 lines. He was much talked about April of last year because he could have been picked up on waivers for free. I think we ended up trading a pick for Smithson instead.

57. russ99 says:

Ugh, Lowe being elevated to the same title as Nicholson is a sad state of affairs.

Katz had the perfect chance to change things up and he blew it.

58. Deadman Waiting says:

Woodguy:

I never saw it that way. A leopard can’t change his spots. He simply wasn’t wired to consult any idea about external perception in the heat of the moment. You could have sent him off for a mind-meld with Sarah Palin’s Maître d’Umbo of Grooming Operations and the same damn things would have come out of his mouth when you pulled on the brass-ring body ornament embedded between his shoulder blades.

With Lowe it was always “get this man a stretcher” or “shit, I should have whacked him harder”. His competitive fire never tangoed with sober seconds. (“sober second” has 123,000 hits on Google).

And as much as we complain about Tambo and his truly woeful record in secondary procurement, he never uttered the unforgivable curse Firesalebaconsave. An army marches on its stomach. For all his faults, I think Tambo left the stomach in better shape than he found it, with greater organizational strength in the feeder system.

What has the organization accomplished lately? Well, for one thing, they successfully frisked $300 million (or was it four hundred?) from the local community—not without some tense moments that cooler heads might have averted, but hot damn that’s one hell of a big bite out of other people’s coin purse, one that a blurry B-52 of Africanized horseflies can only envy.

The way I see it is that working memory in most people can handle 7 ± 2 elements. At the list “mistakes were made” begins to lengthen, at some point there’s no room left at the bottom to add another entry. Then the natural human reaction is to go “Furtenbrass, my ass! Something is clearly rotten in the state of Denmark”. Then the analysis—which I sometimes term “management by bad smell”—takes up residence in the bottom brain mental circuits of essentialism: that which smells like shit is shit. Is there’s a truism more deeply engraved in the human neural circuitry, it’s identity continues to elude my commodious contemplations of campsite carpentry, and from there it takes not more than lufting a backward pawn to drift into schoolyard narratives of purity and contamination.

Those of us with a loooooooooonger ticker tape of specific ailments are slower to dance on the rotting corpse.

59. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Ice Sage:
    ‘Nicholsontide’ doesn’t have quite the same ring

Yeah. Not very high on the vish list. (try the veal)

Nichol & Dime?
    Nichol Beers?
    Wooden Nichols?

60. Ca$h-Money! says:

rickithebear:
    •D Dustin Byfuglien: I don’t understand why people don’t love him.

last 3 years he has avaeraged 18.6 EVmin and 3.25 EVGA/60

versus league average that is -.92 EVGA/60 that is -23 EVG to average.
    there were 31 Forwards with GF rates that would allow you to break even.
    Hall-RNH-Eberle would not have.

Schultz did that with N. schultz.
    Gilbert averaged 3.02 EVGA/60 5 of 7 years.
    you cannot waste your Top producing EVGA forwards on this EVGA.

#4 Martinez 1.37 EVGA/60.47 EVA/60
    #6 Greene1.50 EVGA/60 .53 EVA/60
    #8 Mitchell 1.61 EVGA/60 .48 EVA/60
    #9 Muzzin1.63 EVGA/60 .58 EVA/60
    #10 Voyanov1.66 EVAG/60 .71 EVA/60
    #29 Doughty1.85 EVAG/60.58 EVA/60
    #35 Reghr1.90 EVGA/60.39 EVA/60

Pocession is driven by puck movement to or in Ozone and FO.
    This is Forwards; Forwards; Forwards.

Corsi tells us Shite about a Dman. in regards to this.
    Corsi is the base line for Dman.

Some one has turned over the puck
    the Dmen face X corsi.
    of those
    -X miss the net;(misses)
    -X are blocked (blocks)
    -X hit the net. (shots)
    These all establish a % of Corsi on net rate for a Dman.
    Give me the Dmen with the lowest %

Then we have Shots as the next baseline.
    -The low % inside 25ft Dmen.

Give me a Dman that has a low shots/corsi Rate and cause alow Shots and success inside 25ft.
    anything outside 25 ft is more about forward back check and Point pressure.

The other thing.
    Watch LAK. they attack on nthe Cycle and drive the net.

High risk pass to D man sliding in from point or cycle back down low.
    The choice seems to be more bodies between the puck.

LAK team is Box protect and end up with the best EVGA D in the game by a mile.
    Move the puck to the forwards.

Oilers dmen EVA/60last 3 years
    Ference .65 EVA/60
    Petry .60 EVA/60
    J. schultz.56 EVA/60

I am confortable with this puck movement rate.

Byufglien 3.25 EVGA/60.81 EVA/60that is .20 EVA/60 better than our best 3 dmen sure as heck does not make up for .92 EVGA/60 Seriously!
    Byufglien!
    I want to win!

Boychuck1.99 EVGA/60.53 EVGA/601st/1st
    Oduya 1.99 EVGA/60.55 EVA/60 1st/ 4th
    Bellimore 1.73 EVGA/60 .37 EVA/60 with 4th line teamates. 1st/4th
    Engelland 2.09 EVGA/60 .54 EVA/60 3rd/3rd
    Niskanen 1.99 EVGA/60.61 EVA/60 3rd/1st
    M. Greene 1.50 EVGA/60 .53 EVA/60 3rd/3rd
    Fayne 2.45 EVGA/60.39 EVA/60 1st /2nd
    Fayne 1.68 EVGA/60.48 EVA/60 2nd/3rd
    Gilbert2.84 EVGA/60 .67 EVA/60 2nd/2nd
    Some people want Gilbert!
    Mezaros in PHi2.77 EVGA/60 1.03 EVA/60 3rd/2nd
    Mezaros in BOS 1.58 EVGA/60
    Mezaros in TB/OTT 2.54 EVGA/60 .61 EVA/601st/3rd
    Markov2.40 EVGA/60 .48 EVA/602nd/3rd
    Nikitin2.13 EVGA/60 .51 EVA/60 2nd/2ndcannot handle 1st 3.00+ EVGA/60

Ricki, I want you to know that you’re quickly becoming my favorite poster. You have such a unique take on things, and you support your arguments nicely. Thanks for a fresh perspective on things.

Plus, I actually picture you as a bear, sitting at a cubicle, typing while drinking tee from a tiny cup. So that’s fun…

Could you do me a favour and go on Capgeek and build your ideal (realistic) oilers lineup for next season with the Armchair GM tool? Name it Oilersthebear or something obvious. Really curious to see where you take things.

61. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I’d like to throw out the name Dubinsky.

Been rumoured to be on the block more then a few times.

Would be a nice fit.

62. Jordan says:

Ca$h-Money!: Ricki, I want you to know that you’re quickly becoming my favorite poster.You have such a unique take on things, and you support your arguments nicely.Thanks for a fresh perspective on things.

Plus, I actually picture you as a bear, sitting at a cubicle, typing while drinking tee from a tiny cup.So that’s fun…

Could you do me a favour and go on Capgeek and build your ideal (realistic) oilers lineup for next season with the Armchair GM tool?Name it Oilersthebear or something obvious.Really curious to see where you take things.

Ha! Ricki the Bear is to hockey analytics what Ishmael the Gorilla is to environmental anthropology?

Love it!

63. hugo says:

Based on the Spector article, would Cody Franson be a fit ? He is a RFA currently.

G Money,

There was one that specifically looked at “physical” Dmen.

I’ll try to dig it up.

Pretty sure it was on SBNation if that helps the google-fu.

RexLibris: I disagree to the extent that I believe Katz is trying to build a sports ownership empire, of sorts.

Imagine the storylines when Katz goes to the City to ask for a new stadium.

I agree with you on this.

Deadman Waiting: I never saw it that way.A leopard can’t change his spots.He simply wasn’t wired to consult any idea about external perception in the heat of the moment.You could have sent him off for a mind-meld with Sarah Palin’s Maître d’Umbo of Grooming Operations and the same damn things would have come out of his mouth when you pulled on the brass-ring body ornament embedded between his shoulder blades.

With Lowe it was always “get this man a stretcher” or “shit, I should have whacked him harder”. His competitive fire never tangoed with sober seconds.(“sober second” has 123,000 hits on Google).

And as much as we complain about Tambo and his truly woeful record in secondary procurement, he never uttered the unforgivable curse Firesalebaconsave. An army marches on its stomach.For all his faults, I think Tambo left the stomach in better shape than he found it, with greater organizational strength in the feeder system.

The way I see it is that working memory in most people can handle 7 ± 2 elements.At the list “mistakes were made” begins to lengthen, at some point there’s no room left at the bottom to add another entry.Then the natural human reaction is to go “Furtenbrass, my ass! Something is clearly rotten in the state of Denmark”. Then the analysis—which I sometimes term “management by bad smell”—takes up residence in the bottom brain mental circuits of essentialism: that which smells like shit is shit.Is there’s a truism more deeply engraved in the human neural circuitry, it’s identity continues to elude my commodious contemplations of campsite carpentry, and from there it takes not more than lufting a backward pawn to drift into schoolyard narratives of purity and contamination.

But when Kevin was playing he had coaches to correct him if we was veering off course.

I don’t think he really had that as a manager in terms of hockey-specific things.

Feedback loop at Kingsway was ridiculously surprised that people were upset that they had missed the playoffs for the 7th consecutive year.

67. Henry says:

rickithebear,

That post has a ton of info. Two questions:

Where do you get your information on distances shots are coming from? This is pretty key at ES and I’d like if the teams that have guys lobbing muffins from the boards equate statistically to what my eyes see.

EVGA/60 is EVen strength Goals Against per 60? So Dustin Buff’s 3.25 is kind of high but when do all of the assists mitigate that sufficiently? What would be an acceptable ratio that could be used to compare players directly?

68. nycoil says:

Re: Mike Richards. Dreger saying he won’t be bought out.

69. Henry says:

With Kimmo being reupped with a bonus on top it seems more likely that there is fire behind the Coburn idea Spec puffed out.

70. HenryDrix says:

Would love to see Paul Stastny on the list, instant upgrade on the 2c hole.

71. rickithebear says:

Ca$h-Money!: Could you do me a favour and go on Capgeek and build your ideal (realistic) oilers lineup for next season with the Armchair GM tool

I do not Do trades!
    I have a hard time with this!
    last year would have been easy for Me.

I looked at the players with a high history of Better with than without!

Last year for me was!
    Perron we traded for!
    Boyes great results with Perron.
    Pouliot critical to NYR run.
    Wellwood Retired

to me this year is about
    - as low as possible EVGA.
    -Dman with .50 EVA/60
    -Forwards with good giveaway takeaway ratio
    -Good EVG depth for Cheap.
    As MacT said Goals; Goals; Goals.
    centers who win FO.

Quite honestly.
    LAK 5 of 10 best EVGA Dmen
    LAK has 3 of the top 25 FO fwd in game.
    Stoll; M. Richards; Kopitar.
    4 of top 40
    Carter.

It is always best to get one of the best goaltenders save% from inside 25ft.
    #1 bishop
    #2 lundquist
    #3 Riemer
    #3 Scrivens
    #6 Quick

Hal and Yak Are most successful with a ; Linear Center with good assist; FO%.
    I hope for a M. richards Buyout.
    Perron-XXX-Eberle had very high success together.
    Both were successful together with
    Arcobello
    who i think was our best puck retrieval Forward last year.
    Hit ; leverage ; retrieve puck

RNH is to weak on FO.
    Opposition gets almost 50 % more pocession from faceoffs.
    We need a winger with Strong EVG numbers and Strong FO.
    With a real good EVG production with a Great Passer.
    M. Goc is a 15-17 EVG forward when he plays with the likes of Hubredeau, Erat, Sullivan; Dumont; Hornquist
    He is a top 25 FO Fwd.
    kulemin is the Flavour but quite suits
    but i am of the scotty bowman WOWY crowd.
    Goc is great with C. Wilson (homage to LT’s Nashville trade!)
    They have one of the best EVG WOWY rates of any Forward Pair.

Hall-M. Richards-Yak

Boychuk-Petry
    Bellimore-Ference
    Marincin-Schultz

Scrivens
    Fasth

Lots of Even Goals for forwards 1-9
    3 of the 24 best face-off forwards in the game.
    Good tough ZS depth in forwards.

4 of 6 D men have shown a tough comp top 20 EVGA/60
    All but 1 have a good Box protection limited success history with good functioning goalies.
    All can be .50 EVA/60

We have a top 5 Save% inside 20 ft goalie.

72. rickithebear says:

nycoil:
    Re: Mike Richards. Dreger saying he won’t be bought out.

Gagner for M. Richards
    A RISK!

73. rickithebear says:

Henry:
    rickithebear,

That post has a ton of info.Two questions:

Where do you get your information on distances shots are coming from?This is pretty key at ES and I’d like if the teams that have guys lobbing muffins from the boards equate statistically to what my eyes see.

EVGA/60 is EVen strength Goals Against per 60?So Dustin Buff’s 3.25 is kind of high but when do all of the assists mitigate that sufficiently?What would be an acceptable ratio that could be used to compare players directly?

League average for EVGA/60 is 2.33

Leaguue average for Special team is 6.18 PKGA; PPGF/60

3.25-2.33 -.92 EVGA/60 X (EV min) X (avg # games in season)

74. Barcs says:

Deadman Waiting:

I would respectfully suggest “confound” over “elude”, but excellent alliteration monsieur.

75. G Money says:

Henry: Where do you get your information on distances shots are coming from?

As Ricki didn’t answer this one, I’ll answer for him: somekindofninja.com

76. G Money says:

Woodguy:
    G Money,

There was one that specifically looked at “physical” Dmen.

I’ll try to dig it up.

Pretty sure it was on SBNation if that helps the google-fu.

My google-fu is weak in this regard: still can’t find anything on the defensive side. On players and forwards yes, but not D specifically. If you can find such a link, would be much appreciated.

Here’s a sneak peek at my first cut at this dataset:
    - Used players 2002 to 2013-14
    - Any defenseman that played at least 8 seasons = 98 players (amazed it was so small)
    - Used TOI as the measure of their effectiveness. Normalized TOI vs peak TOI for their career. That is to say, for each player I converted their career so that each age had a number from 0 to 1. “1″ was their career peak in TOI, and all other years were relative to that.
    - Then I generated the curve for total TOI (again, normalized to 1) by age for all players

This is the defensemen aging curve:

This is the player count that generated the curve:

Have a few more ideas on how to flesh that out and make the data a little more rigorous, including splitting out “physical” D, but the results do seem interesting.

77. flyfish1168 says:

Wow some of these rumors is scaring me. I really don’t want to pay $1:25 for a 0.75 cent player. I don’t want some losing teams garbage player or contract, especially someone on the wrong side of 30 that will make us have CAP issues. JMHO

78. slopitch says:

Does anyone know what time the draft is On the Friday? I just realized I have a wedding that weekend out of town to attend… Crisis!

slopitch:

Usually starts at 5pm EDM time, we’ll be picking before 6PM.

80. Melman says:

rickithebear,

At the risk of being a nitpicker, your line-up has RNH in the 3C slot with Wilson and Goc which seems to fortify the argument against relying to heavily on advanced stats. Eberle and RNH are good together, and with a 1st line to take on the toughs I would happily wager that a line of Perron, RNH and Ebs could kick out the jams. Particularly if there was a bottom 6 that hold its own. I would think flipping Arco/#3 with RNH makes way more sense, notwithstanding his weak FO% (which should be better this year since he’ll be stronger).

I think Richards would be an excellent fit here. Based on the gagillion scouting reports and analysis the last while Sam Bennett’s ceiling could very well be Mike Richards. If there is such a thing a buying low on a 29 year old 2 time Stanley winner who has a solid defensive game, do it. He’s competitive as hell, doesn’t have a NTC, his contract is not outrageous, he puts this year’s #3 back in junior for another season and this team does not need to rely on him to score outside of what his range is (45-50 points). As #3 and RNH develop he moves down the line-up or to another team that needs to get to the cap floor without paying all the $.

EDIT: I don’t know what LA would want – but the cap relief could really lower their asking price. I don’t think his salary is much lower than what you’d have to pay a UFA C to get them to sign here.

81. rickithebear says:

G Money: As Ricki didn’t answer this one, I’ll answer for him: somekindofninja.com

Forgot metformin and insulin today!
    little flighty till now.

Sorry. you can strip out the x;y data to form your own.
    thanx G Money.

82. dangilitis says:

G money, your thoughts about Kevin lowes time over the last 10 yrs have been exactly my thoughts. There are still GM’s who make his mistake about chasing the high of getting back to the cup run at the expense of the future (eg Pittsburgh) , whereas other GMs have learned from klowe’s mistakes.

One other point- most teams that make the finals do not undergo such major changes so quickly which is why they remain competitive for years, which the oilers were poised to do. Kevin was dealt a really shitty hand in that regard. What if suddenly doughtys wife preferred Florida, Willie Mitchell preferred to play for an Eastern conference team and bolted (spacek) and mike Richards (peca) left as well? LA would still be better off than Edmonton was but none of that was within lowes control.

That being said, Lombardi would never offer Martinez an overinflated contract and trade Dustin brown over 100,000 dollars.

Sourays mismanagement due to pride, and the 6 rings speech were his other personal lowetides.

One more point- it’s ironic that people refer to the old boys club as his reason for failure yet frequently cite his major non old boys club hire (tambo) as his worst move.

83. Henry says: