OILERS DEAL GAGNER, ACQUIRE PURCELL

The Edmonton Oilers dealt young veteran Sam Gagner today. Tampa Bay gets a fine offensive forward with coverage issues, but on that high octane club he’ll likely thrive. MacTavish got the Oilers a useful player in return, an “actual NHL player” who can come in and help this fall.

TEDDY PURCELL EXTRA SKATER PLAYER CARD

purcell es

Nice numbers there, although he was ghastly in a short postseason run. Purcell’s offense is solid, his Corsi For % is good and he’s been above average on the Lightning for years now. WHERE does he bat in the lineup?

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

purcell sleHere’s the Sledgehammer, he played softer opponents, received a zone start push and as ES indicates his Corsi For % was a very nice number (this is Corsi On). Purcell is about to play for a much less successful team, so we’ll review after next season. Purcell has 2 more years left at $4.5M and I don’t know if either team retains salary.

OILERS FORWARD DEPTH CHART

CENTER LEFT WING RIGHT WING
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS TAYLOR HALL JORDAN EBERLE
LEON DRAISAITL DAVID PERRON NAIL YAKUPOV
BOYD GORDON MATT HENDRICKS TEDDY PURCELL
MARK ARCOBELLO LUKE GAZDIC JESSE JOENSUU
ANTON LANDER TYLER PITLICK

Purcell can play either wing, and I’ve seen him at center but it’s been awhile. I don’t think he’s that two-way player we’ve been talking about, and would suggest he won’t be on that “tough zone start” fourth line management envisions for the Boyd Gordon’s trio. I’m sad to see Sam Gagner leave, I’ll have a sail on post up later tonight or sometime tomorrow. I hope he kills it in Florida. Best, Sam. Wish you could have played here during happier times.

As for MacT, he got more than I thought he would, and my guess is he felt pressure to deliver the coach a more veteran and a more certain defensive group. I guessed a second and a fourth, I think Purcell is fine as a return. It won’t look good five years from now, but you’ll just have to remind people of the circumstances. Sometimes, young men get traded in the NHL because the GM and the coach feel pressure to win.

Such is the case today.

A reader sent me an email I would like to share: He is a Swiss-Army player – moves up and down the lineup, plays all forward positions. This is the Pisani player. I really like this – you will too.

280 Responses to "OILERS DEAL GAGNER, ACQUIRE PURCELL"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

Hey LT, do us a favour.

Make sure you misspell Gagner in your article. Just for old time’s sake. Or maybe a top-ten misspellings.

Man, first Omark, then Hemsky, now Gagner. We’re running out of fan-trade-speculation favourites. Well, we’ve still got Eberle, I suppose.

2. RexLibris says:

spoiler: I think the proper question is does $5.5M get him talking to us?

A good agent would field all the calls.

If only, as MacTavish pointed out, so that he could say to the Lightning or whomever “yeah, can I get back to you, I got a guy on line two wants to know about a set of whitewalls”.

If MacTavish offers $5.5 and his agent can get $5.3 in a location/team that he prefers rather than *just* $5 million, then the Oilers have served their purpose as far as the agent is concerned.

3. v4ance says:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline Teams can only talk parameters (nudge, nudge) during free agent interview window (wink, wink), but @TBLightning must know somebody’s coming.

IF Tampa has already agreed in principle to a deal with one or more pending UFA(s), today’s maneuvers make a lot of sense. If they actually strike out in UFA season, they’ll be relying on a lot of unproven youth to step into holes next season.

4. Numenius says:

spoiler: I think the proper question is does $5.5M get him talking to us?

I’d be hesitant to sign anyone for more than $5M, especially since Yak’s and Marincin’s contracts come up next year and the only remotely big contract being lost is Fasth’s (2.9M). Not good to hamstring yourself for the future.

5. FPB94 says:

Numenius,

They still have 20M$ in space with 3 guys on 6M$ contracts out of the nucleus: they can afford it.

God that’s an overpay on RNH tho.

6. Bruce McCurdy says:

FPB94: God that’s an overpay on RNH tho.

heh heh

7. spoiler says:

From TSN:

Maloney said he got a call from MacTavish about Gagner early Sunday but by the time he called back a deal was already verbally agreed upon with Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman. Later in the day, he and Yzerman were able to work out another deal that satisfied both sides.

“It came together in a hurry,” Maloney said. “I think there’s three of us that feel pretty good about our day so far.”

8. PunjabiOil says:

Our top 6 is set. There was no sense keeping Gagner around. He was just a fume, a black hole and a liability on the ice. I know he wanted to stay in Edmonton, but played hardball and forced the Oilers to pay more than they wanted to last summer. His contract (4.8M) is the biggest reason the Oilers can ill afford to give him another opportunity (on say, the wing), and the biggest reason he had little value around the league. Had he signed a more cap friendly deal like Kyle Turris (3.5M), I suspect he’d still be here with another opportunity.

9. Bulging Twine says:

If Purcell scores 15 goals on the third line, I’ll be happy.

I kinda got behind TBay during the 2011 playoffs. Purcell was great. 18 games 17 points. That was 3 years ago now.
    He has better speed than Gagnay.

10. blainer says:

We have been complaining about size forever…Finally we get some size and a player that does NOT bounce off players on a 50/50 puck. This is great news..now add 1 more big winger and a big vet center and we are in good shape…add fayne and hopefully Yak gets back on track and maybe a shot at the playoffs….good start for MacT…can’t wait til tuesday…

11. ASkoreyko says:

Bulging Twine:
    If Purcell scores 15 goals on the third line, I’ll be happy.

I kinda got behind TBay during the 2011 playoffs.Purcell was great.18 games 17 points.That was 3 years ago now.
    He has better speed than Gagnay.

Before last year the guy was top 15 in RW scoring two years in a row.

I am not sure where this notion of him being a 3rd line player came from but its total garbage.

12. Henry says:

ASkoreyko,

Do you want to play him in front of Eberle, Yak, Perron or Hall?

I like three scoring lines, with the new draft dude on the left side and Arco in the middle. Purcell can add experience and skill on the RW. He looks like a softer minutes killer.

dangilitis: You’re kidding me, right?

Have you not been the most outspoken critic of Gagner for the last year?

And now you’re pissed we traded him away? Forgive me for being confused with this seemingly contradictory post. Also, you may have to take back your prediction of 70 pts once he is paired with Korpikoski…

Isn’t this a bit of a lateral move?
    Offensively: Gagner and Purcell have similar pts per game. Gagner has more offensive skills, and yet Purcell has put up the most pts in a single season. Gagner still has 4 years on Purcell and more upside but it’s a lot closer than we think. Possession stats clearly favour Purcell.

Defensively: don’t have enough knowledge of Purcell but one would have to think he’s similar if not better.

I also think the trade with TBL has to be taken in isolation, unless MacT knew in advance that Gagner was going to Arizona within an hour. Although, TBL’s actions are a bit of an indictment of both players, as this was clearly a salary dump of Purcell mediated through Gagner.

Where did I say I was pissed about the trade?

I said in the last thread it was ok. Not great. Ok.

I think Gagner would have been a useful winger, but never wanted to see him as a C on the Oilers again.

It’s pretty clear in the post.

Seems like he still might play C in PHX and take Ribero’s heavy OZS soft minute spot.

Tippett will be much greyer next spring.

Also,

If Yz is such a great GM who freeing up a bunch of space why did he spend 5.8 x 5 on bloody Calahan?

Negative possession player, not much scoring.

Meh.

14. ASkoreyko says:

Henry,

I was hoping Yak will start on the 3rd line and still get some premium PP time. I just don’t understand why some people keep talking about Purcell as a 3rd line winger.

The top of the roster looks pretty set, lets hope MacT can fill out the bottom portion now with some real NHL help.

godot10:
    The net effect for Yzerman is basically turning Purcell, Crombeen, and a 2nd round draft pick into Jason Garrison and a college prospect LW (and a 6th and a 7th).Efficient GM’ing.

With Drouin on the way.

How efficient is 5.8 x 5 for Callahan?

Gerta Rauss:
    I don’t know much about Purcell but I like the fact he is an actual NHL player

I like what MacT is doing with the 2 year deals…Purcell, Nikitin, Gordon, Perron, all expire in 2 years

We should be spending like drunken sailors for this year and next. The only number that matters right now is $69M, and we know that the cap is going up next year. All that money will drop off in 2 years and you’ve got some flexibility to add/edit the roster.

This all day long.

Nailed it.

In 2 years the class of UFA that would sign here will be much better as well. *crosses fingers*

17. misfit says:

This is like the Cole/Williams+2nd/O’Sullivan trade to me in that I can’t help thinking we would’ve been much better off keeping Gagner and simply trading a 6th for Crombeen and a reduced Purcell.

I don’t get why Gagner had to go, nor do I get why he can’t be a center. Purcell has had good possession numbers in a terrible division with heavy offensive zone starts and one of the game’s best as a line mate. Can he do the same here? Maybe, but I don’t consider him a slam dunk either, and at $4.5M x 2, I’d like more of a sure thing. I’m hopeful though.

18. Henry says:

ASkoreyko,

Thats all fine. They can slide around until there is a fit. I would like to see a good 2C here. A big mean ugly skilled and experienced one. And a pony.

19. rickithebear says:

ASkoreyko: Again, this is a RWer who has been in the top 30 for RW scoring the last three years and we are expecting him to play on the 3rd line?

Before last year the guy was top 15 in RW scoring two years in a row.

top 50 EVG scoring winger.
    that is 1st line.

20. One-Timer says:

Woodguy:
    It’s a damn shame.

Cogliano had to leave to play wing and thrived.

Now Gagner leaves and I have no doubt he’ll play wing and thrive.

This sounds at least a bit pissy.

But I would have liked to see Gags have a bounce-back year in EDM, so I don’t disagree.

Edit: And now he’s going to play C again, in the Pacific Div, and not thrive. Poor Sam.

21. Rosco says:

Found this little tidbit about Purcell and Boyle… Says they’re good buddies and Boyle would be a great fit here as well… Figured they had played on the Monarchs together.

“Closest NHL Friends: “Probably Brian Boyle for the Rangers. Kyle Quincey in Colorado. All the guys in L.A. I spent those first three years with those guys. But some of the guys here I’m starting to become pretty good buddies with, too. So, a lot of good friends throughout the league.””

22. Lloyd B. says:

Something does’nt feel right yet. Dont know why ,,,Duck….A shoe to drop?? …. …..Nothing ????? …..great… but something ???

23. longway says:

Henry,

ahhh, I think we would all love a pony

spoiler: I think the proper question is does $5.5M get him talking to us?

I think you stick with 2 year overpays to FA.

Will Grabbo turn down 13MM over 2 years?

Dunno, but that’s the way I go.

Half the roster is up in two years and a better class of UFA should be willing to come then if you sign the right ones now.

Also,

“MacTivity” is freaking awesome.

Well done.

25. One-Timer says:

longway:
    Henry,

ahhh, I think we would all love a pony

Mine has a horn on his forehead.

One-Timer,

Didn’t have to be this way.

27. Gerta Rauss says:

In the immediate aftermath of the Gagner-for-Purcell swap, the Lightning Tweeted that Gagner was going to be bought-out, which makes sense considering the Lightning’s decision to retain salary as part of the deal with Arizona.

Since Gagner is under 26-years-old, a buyout would cost one-third the value of his contract, so the Coyotes jumped in, before Gagner hit the open market, and by taking on Crombeen’s salary, gave the Lightning a little increased financial flexibility as they prepare for free agency on July 1

A quote from that Cullen article linked above indicating the timeline – the trade to the Coyotes was not pre planned, Maloney acted after the buyout tweet was published.

MacT was probably aware of the planned buyout however-draw your own conclusions

28. gd says:

I’m having a hard time seeing any negative to this trade. Purcell looks like a better version of Stafford/Stallberg, has shown the ability to excel with skill and can play both wings. He is only 28 and it looks like his only issue is he is starting to fall down the depth chart as Tampa becomes an elite team, but he is a top 9 forward on any team in the league.

The fact the Oilers completely screwed up Gagner’s development is a separate issue, and as a fan I can only pray that they have learned from it. I hope the number one FA goal now is getting the best C possible.

29. One-Timer says:

Woodguy,

Well, you don’t have to skate back as far to cover the man at the point, so it was definitely worth a shot.

30. AZOIL says:

PaperDesigner:
    Why are people complaining about Purcell? Are we just so conditioned to the. Oilers making terrible moveswe simply can’t process an actual quality player.

I swear people, they could trade Gazdic for Crosby and you would find a way to complain. “It wrecks our salary structure…”

This all day, drives me nuts, a bunch of pessimists! Be patient!

31. prairieschooner says:

Woodguy: One-Timer, I’m pissed at the Oilers for not drafting/trading for more C’s and not trying Gagner on the wing.Didn’t have to be this way.I think MacT is cleaning up someone else’s mess, but like Bookie said, the fact that it got this point is shitty.

I think this mess was MacTs he bragged about Gagner when he signed him to his recent contract

32. jb says:

spoiler:
    two 2nds…

33. delooper says:

Was TB considering waiving Purcell? I’m unsure what their motivation was in all this. They basically gave him away for a late round draft pick.

34. Kris11 says:

Purcell for a 6th seems odd to me. He is an overpay, yeah, but not a huge one. Or is this wrong?

The idea that he has near negative value seems strange to me. I suspect TB could’ve done better.

35. eidy says:

MALONE, RYAN
    345:28 53.0 46.0
    CLARK, BRETT
    341:00 47.5 44.4
    PYATT, TOM
    276:47 49.5 43.7

Looks like a pretty good pickup by this

36. Kris11 says:

Seems like a good day for the Oilers. Reminds me of how I felt when they dealt MPS, which turned out to be a good trade. Tough to lose tale ted young players, even if they seem to underperform, but Purcell fits the teams needs a bit better.

IMO, winning is about winning puck battles by a.) playing along the wall well, b.) making smart decisions with the puck and positionally without it and c.) being faster to the puck and in transitions.

Purcell does all three better than Gagner who has miles of talent but loses board battles, seems really slow too often, and who makes bad decisions in his own end (though decent ones in the offensive zone).

37. Kris11 says:

I can only assume that TB planned to keep Purcell, but recently (like maybe today) discovered that one or more UFA’s wanted to play in TB (during this new talking phase thingy) and they had to scramble to find cap space and dumping Purcell was the best they could do. Other teams didn’t want to pay because they think they can do better in free agency, but MacT and the yotes knew they couldn’t do much better.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

delooper:
    Was TB considering waiving Purcell?I’m unsure what their motivation was in all this.They basically gave him away for a late round draft pick.

This is what I was referring to above when I said draw you own conclusions

-Yzerman let it be known to the league that he was going to buyout Purcell, and MacT contacted him suggesting Gagner was a cheaper buyout option, and proposed a deal straight up

-Yzerman contacted Mac T proposing a straight up swap, and either told MacT of his buyout intentions, or didn’t

39. Marcus Oilerius says:

delooper:

Possibly considered a buyout. For whatever strange reason, a Gagner buyout would be cheaper according to an earlier post in this thread. Tampa is clearly making cap room in anticipation of a big free agent signing.

40. book¡je says:

danny: Who’s to blame?

That’s where I see a difference here. Hemsky was a plus player. Gagner was not. Giving up on Hemmer isn’t the same as giving up up on Gagner.

Speeds has a valid point that they never gave him a shot at being a plus winger, other than that… it should have come to this before it was obvious, to the astute hockey mind, that he was only worth a 6th round pick.

41. Gerta Rauss says:

Marcus Oilerius: For whatever strange reason, a Gagner buyout would be cheaper according to an earlier post in this thread

It’s because he’s under 26 years of age

1/3 buyout for players under 26
    2/3 buyout for players over 26 – in this case, Teddy Purcell

If a buyout was on the agenda, it made sense for TB to buyout Gagner instead.

And this just in from the grassy knoll, EDM could use their compliance buyout on Purcell if that’s the end game here, something they couldn’t do with Gagner’s contract(regular buyout only)

/drops mike and leaves stage

42. longway says:

One-Timer,

a pony is a baby unicorn isn’t it?

One-Timer: Mine has a horn on his forehead.

ah all baby unicorns are ponies…

43. Hammers says:

How do you loose when 80% of those writing in wanted Sam gone plus a certain % like LT figured he was worth 2 3rd rd picks . We got an actual NHL player for 2 years who can definitely play on this team . What TB did is meaningless and I wouldn’t be surprised if McT knew what was going to happen . . If Sam stayed here he was another Hemsky ( 3rd line rW ) so we have an actual player who can handle that job . Quit bitching you guys . Tomorrow is another day .

44. Nyeoseok says:

I think a bunch of posts are getting hung up on whether it will be Yakupov or Purcell on the 2nd line. This is one of those times when I’d side with Eakins in emphasising that the whole line-ranking idea is more important to fans than coaches. Let the two players try a bit of both places and see what works best.

It seems like another shoe will drop in either getting another D-man or a 2nd line centre, but even if we are going with Draisaitl as a de facto centre, lets not forget about Arcobello. I could easily see a 2nd line of Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov and a third line of Hendrick-Draisaitl-Purcell. I’m not saying it’s a great combination, but most fans were complaining all last year about Arco not getting a proper shot. That also keeps a bit of pressure on Lander to up his game quickly. I imagine he and Gazdic take turns as the 13th forward.

45. Marcus Oilerius says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks, that was awesome. You could have also finished with the Vince Carter slam dunk competition “it’s over” GIF.

46. Clay says:

The addition of Purcell means that if the wild rumours of MacT planning to trade Nail are true, then they have someone in place for 2nd line RW. I believe this is the other shoe to drop. My guess is that Yakupov will be part of a package with either Marincin or Klefbom (or even Nurse) for a top pairing dman.

47. Gerta Rauss says:

Clay,

Could be

They’ve got Eberle, Yak, Perron and now Purcell that can play RW, although 3 of those guys have also played LW

We’re in for more loud noises

48. spoiler says:

jb: HAH, I’d consider giving you a 6th, but you’d need to retain 1/3 salary. Welcome to reality

I’m guessing analyzing deals, reading GMs’ comments etc isn’t really your thing?

49. spoiler says:

rickithebear:
    top 50 EVG scoring winger.
    that is 1st line.

16:30 TOI the past three years.
    that is not 1st line.

50. spoiler says:

book¡je: I think if Sam Gagner had been developed better (i.e. coached better and used better) from the start, things could have worked out very differently.

No amount of coaching is going to have an effect on a player who refuses to stop cheating for offense. Players this incorrigible need a trade to act as their wake-up call. As for better use, I don’t know how Gagner could have been given better opportunities than what he got (seven years of soft parade, pp time, and top 6 linemates), nor do I see how these opportunities in any way affect his defensive mindset. I wish things would have worked out differently, but his defensive issues were evident and that mindset hasn’t been able to be coached out of him by the many who have tried… MacT, Quinn, Renney, Kruger, Eakins, Moores, Daum, Bucky, Acton…

This is on the player. Hopefully for him, he hears the phone ringing. Hopefully for us, since he’s with a division rival, he sleeps through the alarm yet again.

Yeah it’s shitty it came to this, and Kassian sure didn’t help, but we need to be looking at the player, not the org, squarely in the eye when we say it’s shitty.

51. Pouzar says:

spoiler,

Thank you. Perfectly said.

52. spoiler says:

The TSN write-up implies that MacT didn’t start calling GMs on Gagner till yesterday morning.

What changed yesterday?

Grabo?

53. Deadman Waiting says:

prairieschooner:

He bragged about Gagner’s character, which is code for “I love the player as a human being, but damn if I can figure out how to best fit him into this woebegone collection of misfits and outcasts”.

I think Gagner earned an extra squirt of relish after eating through a straw for eight weeks, a thin straw that must have seemed all too familiar after his long tenure here in Mirkwood.

54. Frank the dog says:

When did Moores, Daum or Acton coach Sam?

55. Zelepukin says:

Pouzar:
    spoiler,

Thank you. Perfectly said.

Damn straight.

56. Aitch says:

What changed yesterday? Draisaitl. Now, the Oilers have two stop-gap solutions at 2C in Arcobello and Draisaitl. Dr. Drais might become the permanent solution, but having RNH, Arco, Gordon and now Drais in the fold finally allowed them to let Gagner go.

57. RT26 says:

I am willing to give MacT the benefit of the doubt on this move, as I think this was a good (if not great) return for Gagner.

If you look at the following proposed line-up:

Hard mins 1: RNH Hall Eberle
    Hard mins 2: OPEN Perron Purcell
    Soft OZ starts: Arco Draisaitl Yakupov
    DZ starts: Gordon Hendricks OPEN 2
    Lander Facepuncher

You can see the outlines of a plan with 3 scoring lines. Sign Winnik or Moss for OPEN 2 and get Grabbo or another option for OPEN 2C and I will see progress up front.

We still really need at least one more true top 4 Dman and a real experienced 2c with successful sorties and I will be very happy with the off-season

I’m okay with the deal.

Though MacT did not maximize the value possible in the deal. On a purely technical basis, Don Maloney is the technical winner, and MacT is the technical loser. MacT did not understand how to extract value from Yzerman’s need for salary cap relief AND Maloney’s interest in Gagner. A distinct absence of multidimensional thinking. Maloney was able to piggyback Yzerman, and get Gagner from a division rival at 2/3rds the cost for basically nothing.

I dislike Eakins destruction of the value of Gagner as an asset.

MacT also was not able to extract full value in trading Smid.

The David Clarkson whale hunt.

He has a lot of bottom six players and 3rd pairing defensemen on overpays. Ryan Hamilton and Will Acton were also signed to two year deals, when one year deals should have sufficed.

These should at least be a flashing yellow light about MacT’s ability as a GM.

59. Doomoil says:

If The Professional is playing on the Oilers next year then the off season was a failure.

60. Hammers says:

We now have Purcell & Hendricks who can play a little at C” L”& R’” and what that does is open up options . We also have Arcobello & Lander both younger versions who have the same ability but not the years in the NHL so as RT26 said we can see a bit of an idea on how McT see’s this team . I won’t be surprised to see a center added that has more tendencies like Gordon than on the offensive side . Don’t be surprised to see a Legwand , Malhotra or Goc added if he can’t get Grabovski .

61. Yeti says:

godot10,

So how do we go about getting you elected as GM? :)

62. Hammers says:

godot10:
    I’m okay with the deal.

Though MacT did not maximize the value possible in the deal.On a purely technical basis, Don Maloney is the technical winner, and MacT is the technical loser.MacT did not understand how to extract value from Yzerman’s need for salary cap relief AND Maloney’s interest in Gagner.A distinct absence of multidimensional thinking.Maloney was able to piggyback Yzerman, and get Gagner from a division rival at 2/3rds the cost for basically nothing.

I dislike Eakins destruction of the value of Gagner as an asset.

MacT also was not able to extract full value in trading Smid.

The David Clarkson whale hunt.

He has a lot of bottom six players and 3rd pairing defensemen on overpays.Ryan Hamilton and Will Acton were also signed to two year deals, when one year deals should have sufficed.

These should at least be a flashing yellow light about MacT’s ability as a GM.

Sorry don’t agree as I see McT differently . He has a plan , he acts and yes he takes chances but he had a lot of both NHL & AHL players to dump thanks to Tambo .He is slowly , I admit , building a team that has balance . Yea Hamilton & Acton plus Belov didn’t work out but this is him 15 months or so into the job . Let the summer role out and see what we start the season with then make your negative comments .

63. Hammers says:

Could there be a deal with Boston for Boychuck & Campbell . A “D” & a “C” worth $5 mill combined for say a defenceman & next years 2nd. . Problem is they would want Marincin to be mentored by Chara . This would clear 4.25 mill for Boston . Problem is both Boston players only have 1 year left but my gut says this may be the type of deal McT will look at . Maybe different players both ways but with us taking more bucks in any deal .

64. Cactus says:

spoiler,

Your post on giving Gagner a “wake up call” reminded me of something that hasn’t been discussed much here: the NTC. The Oilers may have been interested in giving Gagner a shot at RW and seeing if that would yield better results than at C, but with the NTC kicking in after June 30, making that bet was potentially a two year prospect. By making the trade for an already-successful top 6 RW (at least in a soft minutes, top 6 role), Mact T has avoided that risk entirely.

This trade is only a downside if Purcell somehow craters and Gagner reaches this mysterious potential we still haven’t seen (plus 60 pts, positive corsi). Any dispassionate reading of this trade suggests that’s the most unlikely result.

65. Henry says:

godot10,

Clarkson was scary, but we have to remember that it didn’t actually happen and we don’t actually know what was offered, only rumours.

The Smid trade was very odd.

MacT deserves credit for bandaging the goaltending for draft picks in an obviously weak draft. That was the emergency this year.

Who knows, Purcell may fit in like Guerin did after the Arnott trade.

66. Frank the dog says:

There’s a lot of stuff that has gone on in the Oilers’ dressing room that few of us will ever know about. The popular narrative about Gagner is his lack of defensive behaviour.

MacT was right to mitigate his NTC risk of Gagner not recovering from his injury sufficient to have some career years ahead of him. We know what caused him to crater last year, that’s pretty obvious and if you research the blogs you’ll see Gags was pretty popular around these parts prior to that injury. After the injury the irritation about his defense became a fetish, exacerbated by the goalie collapse.

We know who the Offensive Coach was for every season Gags played, we don’t know what impact that had on him, and how much of his ultimately glaring defensive lapses Gags himself was responsible for. But it doesn’t matter now, because both Gags and the Assistant Coaches are now gone. We can assume that Gags will be given some solid NHL calibre coaching in Arizona as he would have hopefully received this coming season.

But at the end of the day we have another player who seems more defensively capable as-is, and who won’t have the fans running him out of town just yet. So MacT made a good move, and Sam will show which narrative is more accurate this season.

67. pboy says:

Pure speculation;

Yzerman needed that cap room to go after either Dan Boyle or Christian Erhoff.

MacT is going to make a huge offer to Paul Stastny.

68. frjohnk says:

Today should be interesting for more trades, maybe a couple of buyouts. Thus setting up teams for free agent frenzy. Toronto is very interesting. They have 12 guys signed for just over48M. Need to sign 11 guys with only 20M in cap space. I’d be surprised if both Phanuef and Clarkson are with the team tomorrow.

69. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: The fancystat guys who watch every Leaf game in excruciating detail love Kulimen.

Hmmm. Do they cite this?

How do the Toronto-based fancystat guys handwave that away? I don’t get it.

70. Aitch says:

godot10,

MacT took over a perennial losing franchise. You wouldn’t expect him to make normal moves in order to turn the team around, would you? I wouldn’t. When you’re an NHL outpost and a losing one at that, you have to try some unorthodox things to turn things around. So, you sign Nikitin to an overpay on years; you trade Smid to clear cap room for Bryzgalov, and you give fringe players an extra year to sign-on. That’s the reality. But as soon as this team’s shows any signs of winning, the power balance should shift back to the management.

71. frjohnk says:

Don’t know if this was posted earlier. Sorry if it was.
    This is one of the few highlights oiler fans have experienced in the last 8 years

Sam Gagners 8 point night

72. sumaclab says:

Good solid move bt MacT. I did not feel that Gagner would be traded. My bad. On the other hand the Oilers bring in Purcell who will solidify the 3rd line RW. MH-BG-TP all have size and should movethe puck in the right direction.

Does Leon become the defacto 2cd line center? I got to believe that MacT has already made that decision with Gagners trade to TB/AZ.

Am I comfortable with that? I am. You have to think that Mact’s comments this past weekend foreshadowed his thoughts on that subject. Puck possession guy,protects the puck,uses his linemates.

And really the Oilers history shows that they develop their topfirst round picks at the NHL level rather than at the AHL level. If Yak is here and Hall and RNH why not Leon? Really that is the question. Why not?

Bruce McCurdy: Hmmm. Do they cite this?

Every Leaf is awful under Carlyle CF% wise.

Same as the Oilers since they fired Renney.

Bruce McCurdy: Hmmm. Do they cite this?

How do the Toronto-based fancystat guys handwave that away? I don’t get it.

Top Leaves pre-Carlye:

SPECULATION:

MacT goes hard after Statsny then Grabbo and finally has to settle for Legwand.

Henry,

MacT was very disappointed in his post FA signing presser that he didn’t get Clarkson.

Every MSMer had the Oilers offering more $$$.

77. speeds says:

If EDM were to strike out on a top 2 C in UFA, what would everyone’s thoughts be on an offer sheet to Johansen?

Aitch:
    godot10,

The team is a perennially losing franchise because of MacT’s (and Lowe’s) bad decisions of Smyth, Moreau, and Staios’s contracts post 2006, on the decision to turf the mid-career core of the team in Stoll, Torres, Greene, Hejda, Pitkanen, and Glencross, on the whale hunting, alienating Peca so that he had no interest in staying, etc.

MacT was the first mate who abandoned the ship after sailing it into an iceberg leaving the passengers to drown, and then showing up several years later saying he is going to be the captain of the new ship.

79. Henry says:

Woodguy:
    Henry,

Every MSMer had the Oilers offering more $$$.

Woodguy,

I remember the quote ‘I thought he was an Oiler,’ and talk about more money coming from Edmonton. Did MacT offer the seven years? That to me was the huge risk in the contract for a physical player. I certainly didn’t see Clarkson’s 2013-14 coming.

Anyway I hardly wish to argue this point and my thesis is that MacT hasn’t hamstrung the Oilers (yet). I wait with nervous anticipation of what Statsny and others will be offered. I hope he can effect a salary dump of Boychuk or Coburn much like happened in Tampa.

« Older Comments