PENNANTS

What a wonderful series! It’s finally over and we can congratulate this year’s pennant winners, Los Angeles and New York. Patsy Gallant, you’re about to be famous again. For those who don’t follow the blog closely, or are new, “Pennants” are rewarded annually to the two SC finalists. The idea came to me as a way to reward wonderful teams who made it to the final but were unable to win it all. I ask you: what is more difficult, winning a Stanley in the six-team era, or making it to a final in a 30-team league? Ask Los Angeles, New York and Chicago, ladies. Ask those men.

Either way, these two teams deserve an honor, and here we go.

1. Montreal (11): ’68, ’69, ’71, ’73, ’76-’79, ’86, ’89, ’93
  25. Columbus
  26. Minnesota
  27. Nashville
  28. Phoenix
  29. San Jose
  30. Toronto

And congratulations to Toronto, who have been very consistent through expansion.

19 Responses to "PENNANTS"

1. One-Timer says:

Does anyone else expect some letdown in the SCF after that series? Should be a helluva goalie duel, but I’m pretty sure the Kings will be crowned again.

I’m picking LA to win Stanley.

3. spoiler says:

Congratulations to the LA Kings and the NY Rangers! Well done, lads.

4. russ99 says:

Hawks didn’t deserve to go out like that.

Hoping the Rangers sweep those goons out of the cup final.

5. nycoil says:

I’m picking LA to win Stanley.

Honestly, I think 95% of the hockey world is picking it that way.
    I see this as a reverse ’94, so LA in a surprising 7–surprising to most it takes that long.

6. Henry says:

I like both of these teams. The only problem with this final is that Bettman gets his fondest marketing wish.

Would be nice to see Vigneault win one…but not in Vancouver.

7. cabbiesmacker says:

Rangers in 6. Quick isn’t Lundqvist and the Kings are running on fumes. Marty St Louis and Brad Richards SF Sutter one last time before retiring

cabbiesmacker:

that would be a great storyline.

9. LostBoy says:

That hurt a bit. As long as the OIlers are nonstarters I’ve sort of adopted the Hawks, in a very mild way, as I can actually go to games in Chicago. The series at least went some way to unlocking the Kings’ talent, versus the robot hockey Sutter normally has them locked down in. Shouldn’t have ended on a bounce off Leddy, but then the whole game seven was one of those after the other.

Absolute wet dream for the league. CHI would have been fine too, but NYR-LAK is going to help a lot with the game in the US. I’ll be pulling for NYR.

10. Hammers says:

7 teams since 68 have not even been to the dance . One thing to remember in sport every year is another chance to climb the mountain and you start with the same odds .Problem seems to be when you suck it takes more than a year to do it . NYR in 6 better odds from bookie .

11. Andy P says:

Even in chartered aircraft, those cross continent trips between games are going to be killers.

12. One-Timer says:

This could be debated ad nauseam, but I think the Isles’ drive for five capped the greatest streak of domination since expansion. And the back-to-back finals meetings with EDM for the change-over (like DET & PIT a few years ago) is the most epic thing in the sport.

I was really hoping for the Hawks because a dynasty is a beautiful thing, and would be magic in the cap era.

13. HiddenDarts says:

The Toronto hit is a beauty, and part of the reason why I read every day, twice a day. I’m just glad as hell that Rogers can’t buy this. Bob Cole will be gone soon (MY GOD IS THAT HORRIBLE), but as long as Allan Mitchell keeps writing, I think we’ll all survive. In our own way.

14. HiddenDarts says:

russ99:
    Hawks didn’t deserve to go out like that.

Hoping the Rangers sweep those goons out of the cup final.

Goons? Blah. Blah.

15. One-Timer says:

HiddenDarts: Anyone who really believes the Kings are “goons” clearly didn’t watch the series. I’m an Oilers fan first, but that was a team that got out of their element, and still won the hell out of that 7 game series.

Goons? Blah. Blah.

Have to agree with this – they were just playing hockey. Even Dustin Brown looked like Crosby a couple of times.

16. delooper says:

If LA is dirty, I didn’t see it. IMO LA is going to walk over NY in the final. They won’t be blow-out games but LA will strangle the Rangers.

17. Deadman Waiting says:

I didn’t exactly pick the Kings, but whenever the subject came up I did suggest that they were the team most superior to their season record, and that it wouldn’t surprise me to see them do some damage. I said this often enough to feel sheepishly smug that they pulled yet another rabbit out of their crown.

Most games ever played by a cup winning team is 25. With a sweep, the Kings move into a tortoise tie.

For the finals, I might conjecture that the Rangers’ best bet is to treat game one as do or die—first blood for the fresher team could make a contest out of this yet—but then you never know at this time of year.

———

So much depends
    upon
    a red weal

A brow
    crazed with pain
    defies

colloid of chalk
    nightcap

———

Don’t give up, scion kings! Crush a few more 222s and you’ll be feeling very sweepy.

defies –» deifies (alas, no longer)
    nightcap –» whitecap (tumultuous dreams)
    2222 –» 332 (more haikuish)

18. Pouzar says:

L.A ain’t walkin over anybody. It’s not in their DNA. This thing is goin 7.

19. justDOit says:

So happy that the Hawks are done – and in game 7 OT, no less!

Now if Pierre McGuire can be hired as Pens’ GM, all will be right with the world on this Monday morning.