SAIL ON, LONDON KNIGHT

I remember well the day Sam Gagner became an Edmonton Oiler. We’d been talking about him for weeks, and discussing options and preferences. The morning Sam Gagner was drafted in 2007, I wrote:

• Jim Matheson says the Oilers have targeted Sam Gagner and that’s alright with me. I’d be a little disappointed with Karl Alzner (I suspect Prendergast likes him most of all, he’s been positively silly in his comments) and very disappointed if they dealt the pick at #6.

They took Sam.

• Red Line Report: Sam Gagner is Kane’s running mate in London. He has wonderful vision and creativity and a variety of touch passes that he can make through traffic. He is also the son of former NHL standout Dave Gagner and has acquired his father’s intuitive offensive instincts and general hockey sense. Gagner’s lateral quickness and variety of shifty moves create problems for defenders.

I wasn’t convinced early. I could see his skill, but wondered about him at center and really wondered about him staying that fall. I went to training camp with my friend Louise and she convinced me (Louise is a wise person)—well, 89 convinced me, but Louise pointed it out—that he was the Oilers best option and earned the roster spot. In that first season, Gagner scored 49 points and could have had more—the lasting memory I have of Robert Nilsson was how many golden chances he missed on perfect and sublime passes from Sam Gagner.

He was a project at 18 defensively, they all are really. The thing about Gagner is that he improved a little each year, or maybe I just told myself that and hoped Horcoff would live forever. Well.

We know about Sam’s down arrows and I’m not going to spend too much time on them. Suffice to say that the moment Leon Draisaitl’s name was called, the die was cast for Sam Gagner. Edmonton is quite likely content with carrying youngsters Leon Draisaitl and Nail Yakupov in their top 9F (I’m still not completely convinced Yakupov is here long term, but pray baby Jesus MacT is patient), but if they’re going to do it, savvy veterans are required around them.

Which, incredibly, is exactly what Phoenix will do with Samwise. Two good veterans, plenty of offensive zone starts to use 89′s skills, and we’re cooking with petrol.

gagner111

When I was a kid, I collected hockey cards and dreamed about playing in the NHL, but, as an adult, cheering takes on a different view. I enjoy watching these young people arrive before they can shave, take on challenges and succeed, slowly but surely finding their way. That’s it, that’s what being a fan is for me really. I like to see winning and 30 goal seasons and the 2006 run was just about the most fun I’ve had as a fan in 20 years (only fun, but you get the point). As you get older, you realize the journey is the thing, the struggle, and the victory is a fully formed player and the reward is watching them grow up in front of you.

So, if that’s your viewpoint as a fan, and I know from reading you these years in the comments you’re the same, if that’s your seat in the house, then these failures are painful and galling. And sure it’s Gagner’s fault and Pouliot’s fault and Rita’s fault and Schremp’s fault, but sooner or later you develop a past, and the Oilers’ recent past is chapter and verse on the subject of ‘you’re going the wrong way’.  And they’re trading Sam to do the same thing with Leon.

Oh, those Oilers.

I think Craig MacTavish did us all one giant, beautiful favor when he brought in Craig Ramsay. For the love of Pete the Oilers can’t possibly be this bad at developing hockey players. Can they? If Ramsay can’t fix them I think Old Man Katz is going to have to flush the group.

Today’s news: 89′s last two seasons were his worst in fact (2012-13) and by eye (2013-14) and he’s down the line. Not a yip, this is how it’s done. I thoroughly enjoyed him as a player and sincerely wish he could have hung around for the good times. Sam Gagner should be, and will be, so much more than a Pat Quinn punch line, and I hope he wins a Stanley and scores 8 in Rexall.

Sail on, London Knight. It should have been so much better. Don’t beat yourself up, you had a lot of help.

MACT’S SUMMER 2014 LIST

1. A veteran top pairing defenseman. A real man, big time EV minutes and a history of successful sorties. Update: Nikita Nikitin has been added to the defense, but doesn’t fit the top pairing role. It’s possible EDM adds that top-pairing option in the next week. Nikitin is an actual NHL player.
  2. A 2line C with experience and the ability to play a two-way game. This is the other vital piece.
  3. A legit two-way winger who can score 12-15 goals. The Pisani role. Mentor, calms the waters. Update: Teddy Purcel has some of the elements we’re talking about here, although he’s not a terrific two-way type. He does give the team offense on the wing, and he has experience.
  4. Find a way to get value, or make use of, Sam Gagner. This does not include time at center. Update: I like MacT’s aggressiveness in problem solving. He dealt 89 after the draft, and acquired an actual NHL player in Purcell. I’ve got miles of room to criticize the organization about handling Gagner, but the trade is fine from here.
  5. Improve the bottom 6F’s.
  6. Retain as much of the young cluster as possible, understanding that the player who represents #1 on this list might cost a young D who will one day fill that role.
  7. Get Petry signed long term.
  8. Sign Schultz but DO NOT break the bank.

There’s progress being made, he’s addressed defense and given the team an experienced forward to add to the group. The center position has more (not less) clarity today and I’d expect a trade or free agent signing in the next while for the empty spot:

PROJECTED FORWARD DEPTH CHART

CENTER LEFT WING RIGHT WING
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS TAYLOR HALL JORDAN EBERLE
LEON DRAISAITL DAVID PERRON TEDDY PURCELL
MARK ARCOBELLO?? JESSE JOENSUU?? NAIL YAKUPOV
BOYD GORDON MATT HENDRICKS TYLER PITLICK ??
ANTON LANDER LUKE GAZDIC

The top two lines are interesting, I’ve placed Leon Draisaitl on the 2line—for the record I would send him back to Prince Albert for at least another year.  The Oilers don’t play that way, as mentioned in the Sail On. I like the veteran combination for the big German on that line, but am decidedly not thrilled with the Yakupov linemates. That’s the work to be done, I’d love to see Grabobski-Kulemin there but we’ll see. It could be Brian Boyle-Rene Bourque-Nail Yakupov on that 3line so let’s not get carried away.

They need a veteran center and they need a Pisani and they need another NHL defenseman. And right soon!

rishaug quincey

KYLE QUINCEY EXTRA SKATER PLAYER CARDquincey esTHE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

quincey vollman

You can click to enlarge, it shows Quincey (this is Corsi ON) as a second pairing defender who is a little in the red on a good possession team. He’s a good player, second-pairing defenseman who is average in zone starts (no push, no penalty) and his ON trails most of the group. Do I like him? Yes. He was playing with a young Danny DeKeyser for most of the season, and was over 50% without him.

Do I like him better than Nikitin? Yes. Do I think he’s a top pairing defender? No. However, if the Oilers signed him their depth chart might be:

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE
MARTIN MARINCIN JEFF PETRY (RFA)
KYLE QUINCEY JUSTIN SCHULTZ
ANDREW FERENCE NIKITA NIKITIN
OSCAR KLEFBOM

I would prefer they gather themselves up and grab Ehrhoff, or pursue Stralman. Quincey is miles from Engelland, and that’s a good thing. I still think Marincin will end up playing big minutes.

255 Responses to "SAIL ON, LONDON KNIGHT"

« Older Comments
  1. spoiler says:

Maybe Petry to Boston for Kelly+Boychuk?

spoiler:
    Petry is a tough contract call. How much do you pay a guy who will likely never put up more than 25 points in a season?

Veteran first pairing defensemen get $7 million for UFA years.

Veteran 2nd pairing defensemen get $5 million for UFA years.

Veteran 3rd pairing defensemen get $3 million for UFA years.

It isn’t that complicated.

3. spoiler says:

24 minutes ago
    @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Winnipeg Jets didn’t make the cut as Stastny camp shortens list of suitors today

Aren’t we usually first to get kicked out of the sandbox?

4. spoiler says:

godot10: Veteran first pairing defensemen get $7 million for UFA years.
    Veteran 2nd pairing defensemen get $5 million for UFA years.
    Veteran 3rd pairing defensemen get $3 million for UFA years.
    It isn’t that complicated

Source please.

spoiler:
    Maybe Petry to Boston for Kelly+Boychuk?

I tell Boston that I will take Boychuk off of their hands.

6. Marcus Oilerius says:

spoiler:
    24 minutes ago

Aren’t we usually first to get kicked out of the sandbox?

Not since the Jets re-appeared. Not only is the Peg a barren frozen wasteland, it’s an extra 14 hours from Jasper and is half the size with twice the suck of Edmonton.

7. spoiler says:

MOAR MacTIVITY seems a sure bet over the next couple of days. I know this is the most liquid market we have seen in years, but he really does seem to be Opposite Steve.

8. book¡je says:

spoiler: Source please.

It was Godot10. It says that right above the comment.

You’re welcome.

9. Ryan says:

Frank the dog:
    Petry’s numbers:

Buffie:

10. cabbiesmacker says:

Marcus Oilerius: Not since the Jets re-appeared.Not only is the Peg a barren frozen wasteland, it’s an extra 14 hours from Jasper and is half the size with twice the suck of Edmonton.

Only a couple hundred thousand more people here too. As much as Edmonton would like to claim the burgs immediately around the city as theirs the folks living in those communities want nothing to do with the idea. Call someone from St Albert an Edmontonian and watch the reaction.

11. cabbiesmacker says:

Ryan: If Petry can put up those numbers, he must be the next Karlsson… (You linked to Gagner).

No. He’d be the next Sam Gagner.

Poor bastard

12. rich says:

Woodguy,

For every good move MacT seems to make are we going to be cursed with a bad move?

Not a good sign at all if they are seriously considering trading Petry. He’s the best d-man on the team.

13. Ryan says:

spoiler:
    24 minutes ago

Aren’t we usually first to get kicked out of the sandbox?

Either way, we’re next.

14. Marcus Oilerius says:

cabbiesmacker,

True about the women. The men have all left for jobs elsewhere, and the women aren’t spoiled by money.

15. cabbiesmacker says:

spoiler:

Same as Nikitin but much longer term? Gawd that’s a smelly contract.

16. Snowman says:

Any way MacT is looking at Buff out of Winterpeg? Petry + for big Buff? or Petry + for Coburn?

Either of those would be nice options. I’d love to see Buff in Oiler silks.

17. cabbiesmacker says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    cabbiesmacker,

True about the women.The men have all left for jobs elsewhere, and the women aren’t spoiled by money.

I’ve lived in both obviously and the only city in Canada with a stronger female factor is Montreal. Don’t sell your town short. Great place. And 4 actual seasons? What a fn novelty that is

18. Marcus Oilerius says:

I love the World Cup. Intense action, no commercial breaks… But this stupidity of ending matches in a single-elimination tournament with freaking penalty kicks has to end.

19. Zangetsu says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Winnipeg: four times the suck per capita of edmonton. Put that on a postcard. Has anyone ever been on a flight that stopped in winnipeg? My for friends an I each had a row to ourselves. I think only two people on the whole plane buddied up.

20. spoiler says:

godot10: Boston needs to give players away basically for free to get cap compliant. And you are suggesting giving them the Oilers best defenseman.
    I tell Boston that I will take Boychuk off of their hands.

Not at all. I’m suggesting MacT might be fielding some such offer.

21. VanOil says:

Snowman,

Buff and Penner would be great. Eakins would love it.

22. Marcus Oilerius says:

cabbiesmacker,

My town? Edmonton? The only city worse for women is maybe Calgary. *maybe*. Note that I don’t count the overgrown work camp known as fort mac as a city.

23. kooler says:

Marcus Oilerius,

You do have to love the camera guys who tend to pick out some of the prettiest women out of the stands.

24. Melman says:

Dammit LT it’s been more than 4hours since we’ve had a new post! What gives?

25. cabbiesmacker says:

They’e too busy trading Jeff Petry, it appears.

The Chicago Blackhawks will tender a couple of shiny young C’s in Nordstrom and Regin along with Sheldon Brookbank for Mr Petry thank you very much.

Brookbanks an RD so WG will be appeased. Har.

26. spoiler says:

13 minutes ago

@TSNRyanRishaug: Expecting Oilers to qualify most of their RFA’s today, including Philip Larsen and Tyler Pitlick. Taylor Fedun may be only one not.

@TSNRyanRishaug: RT @JasonGregor: The Oilers didn’t qualify Fedun… He is now a #UFA

27. Frank the dog says:

Typo fixed.
    shit.

28. spoiler says:

Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice · 31m Lamoriello: Devils made Fayne “a good offer” & still want him back, but “might not be able to compete with the numbers that are out there.”

29. icecastles says:

Marcus Oilerius: Not only is the Peg a barren frozen wasteland, it’s an extra 14 hours from Jasper and is half the size with twice the suck of Edmonton.

Lived in both. Preferred Winnipeg on nearly every level.
    - not actually that much smaller.
    - better lakes and watersports if you’re into that (I’m a mountains guy but still)
    - shorter winters
    - better restaurant scene
    - infinitely better cultural scene
    - better architecture
    - economy not constantly crashing through the floor like Edmonton between booms
    - fantastic people

30. Henry says:

spoiler:
    13 minutes ago

Damn. I wanted Fedun for the 7th Dman.

Are we going to get a Sail on, Princeton Tiger?

31. cabbiesmacker says:

Zangetsu:
    Marcus Oilerius,

Winnipeg: four times the suck per capita of edmonton. Put that on a postcard.

32. icecastles says:

Marcus Oilerius: Victoria is pretty awesome when it comes to women, but they can’t cook or clean.

That’s straight up offensive, dude.

cabbiesmacker: Always nice to hear from those who were born, raised, and still live in the cultural mecca of Edmonton, who at best still refer to that road trip to Sp Grove 10 years ago as…. cultural enlightenment. Did the bull balls slap you in the ass when you braked to enter Jack’s Drive-In?

And I’m back to being ashamed that I ever agreed with Cabbiemacker on anything.

33. LMHF#1 says:

What was it about Fedun that pissed these guys off? He came up, played well, even scored, then gets banished for the rest of the season and released. Just silly.

Snowman:

Either of those would be nice options. I’d love to see Buff in Oiler silks.

Yep…trade your best defenseman, the one who is just entering his prime career mid-to-late twenty years for one who is exiting the prime of their careers on the verge of turning thirty.

Petry would join the long list of MacT/Lowe franchise destroying moves of player in their mid-twenties who they discarded. Stoll, Torres, Greene, Glencross, Pitkanen, Hejda.

35. Marcus Oilerius says:

icecastles: That’s straight up offensive, dude.

Why? Because its important to me, as a man who works out of town, that my wife can take care of a home? I don’t care if it’s not important to you, and I don’t go calling you offensive for self-emasculating yourself.

36. Melman says:

Melman:
    Dammit LT it’s been more than 4hours since we’ve had a new post!What gives?

Wow that worked!!

37. Pouzar says:

icecastles: Lived in both. Preferred Winnipeg on nearly every level.
    - not actually that much smaller.
    - shorter winters
    - better restaurant scene
    - infinitely better cultural scene
    - better architecture
    - economy not constantly crashing through the floor like Edmonton between booms
    - fantastic people

Wow…been in the Peg for 15 years and I f^cking hate it here. Oh the golden hand cuffs!

38. Ca$h-Money! says:

icecastles: Lived in both. Preferred Winnipeg on nearly every level.
    - not actually that much smaller.
    - shorter winters
    - better restaurant scene
    - infinitely better cultural scene
    - better architecture
    - economy not constantly crashing through the floor like Edmonton between booms
    - fantastic people

I seem to recall you saying you were a woman….

39. Lois Lowe says:

cabbiesmacker,

spoiler:
    The Petry talks would have to mean something like Byfusion coming back, I’m guessing. Either that or MacT has been reading WG’s Fayne posts.

I actually haven’t done a post on how much I like Fayne.

He’s certainly among the top FA Dmen.

Tyler has me scared about trusting NJD CF% and it’s clear that Greene drives the bus on that pair.

I’ve been much higher on Stralman and wrote about him.

Greene btw is all of 5’11 190lbs and drives the bus on a NHL shut down pair and does it very well.

A lot like Stralman from what i’ve seen.

There’s a real chance Fayne isn’t much different from Petry.

spoiler:
    Maybe Petry to Boston for Kelly+Boychuk?

Not sure BOS can handle what Petry will get in arb, or what he wants.

They need to shed salary.

42. Pouzar says:

Lois Lowe:
    cabbiesmacker,

As much as I hate living in WPG, they are loaded with beautiful women.

43. Pouzar says:

Woodguy,

So no Fedun and “listening” on Petry. MacT better know what he’s doin.

cabbiesmacker: Better access to “real” lakes in summer though and way…WAY better women. Never ignore the female and personal watercraft factors.

True, but using population within a 30min drive is a standard for figuring out population. (is that called “metro”?)

Drive around EDM with someone who’s never been here and they will have no clue when you slide into St.Albert or SHWDPK.

Last I check EDM was ~900K proper and ~1.05 metro.

WIN was ~650K I think.

Big difference.

45. icecastles says:

Marcus Oilerius: Why? Because its important to me, as a man who works out of town, that my wife can take care of a home?

Partly, yup. Incidentally, why is it important for her to cook if you’re out of town? Unless you mean for her to wait on you hand and foot when you’re home? Yeah dude. I’m gonna call that offensive.

Marcus Oilerius: Would you tell my girlfriend she’s offensive because she wants to be a housewife? To be there for the kids?

Nope, but I’d probably think she was offensive if she judged the value of her entire gender based on her ability to “cook and clean” as you did in your post.

Lois Lowe: Vancouver has the most beautiful women in Canada, and so so many of them. Edmonton and Winnipeg have comparatively little.

You’ve never been east, have you?

Ca$h-Money!: I seem to recall you saying you were a woman….

I don’t recall saying that.

46. Lois Lowe says:

icecastles,

Lived in Toronto during my undergrad, spent a summer in Quebec as well. Vancouver wins hands down.

rich:
    Woodguy,

Not a good sign at all if they are seriously considering trading Petry.He’s the best d-man on the team.

It really depends.

If Fayne is in the bag and Petry has a big ask I can see them trading them.

I’m not sure Fayne is better than Petry. Might be.

I’d prefer that if Fayne is in the bag that they run w/ him and Petry and Jultz.

Get good players, keep good players.

I’m just scared because i’m and Oiler fan and these things haven’t turned out well in the past.

Because Oilers (h/t Icecastles)

48. cabbiesmacker says:

Lois Lowe:
    cabbiesmacker,

I’m sure based on population one could say there are “more” good looking women in Vcr than either of the cities you mention, but per capita? Not a chance. I will give Van City a big step up over Toronto tho. Yeesh.

49. icecastles says:

Lois Lowe, cabbiesmackera>,

Can we all at least agree that Regina and most of the maritimes land squarely at the bottom of the list? I’m sure there is a certain appeal to the “ruddy” look for some, but….

edit: Seriously though, Montreal women frequently land on lists for cities with the most beautiful women in the WORLD. I rarely even see Vancouverites on lists for the most beautiful women in Canada.

50. Frank the dog says:

LMHF#1:

I’d guess he’s too “small” for the Western Conference at 6’0″. All of our young D seem to be coming through @ upwards of 6’2″.

Had he not received that horrible pre-season hip injury – I still cringe when I think of it – he’d probably be a fixture on the roster by now. Or he’d be shipped out by now which is happening anyway.

MacT has been pretty good to his players. I suspect he is giving him a breakl by not qualifying him, he may have some assurance of a garuanteed 2 way contract if he cant get a UFA placement.
    But too small is too small so he’d need to take the Arco route, which I think he has enough determination to achieve.

51. spoiler says:

Woodguy: There’s a real chance Fayne isn’t much different from Petry.

Agreed. And then there’s all this Engelland smoke.

52. G Money says:

icecastles,

LOL. Blog commenters arguing on the interwebs on which city has the hottest chicks.

*That’s* not cliched, nope, not a bit!

(P.S. Have lived and worked coast to coast, and it’s Montreal and then everyone else. And the big population centres generally blow the little ones out of the water).

53. danny says:

icecastles:
    Lois Lowe, cabbiesmackera>,

The fuck is this conversation really happening?

Besides the fact that St. John’s is known for having a high percentage of very attractive women, do you always find it OK to insult entire regions of people with stupid comments?

(technically St John’s is Atlantic, but point stands nonetheless)

54. oliveoilers says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    I love the World Cup.Intense action, no commercial breaks… But this stupidity of ending matches in a single-elimination tournament with freaking penalty kicks has to end.

Hahahahahaha, I love the North American take on sports older than their country. It’s ok. Europeans can’t figure out why an NFL game takes four hrs, the first place team in the league doesn’t win and the effin’ draft and salary cap that supposedly ‘evens’ out the field.

55. Marcus Oilerius says:

icecastles,

Who the hell said anything about waiting on me hand and foot? And yes, I do judge a woman’s value partly by her ability to keep a home. The same way that women judge my value in part by my ability to provide. Because sure as shit, when I was dating, within the first 5 minutes of getting to know a girl, she would ask what I do for a living.

I don’t know why this offends you, but I can only assume you somehow feel as if men aren’t allowed to have selection criteria for their women. Too bad for you, because we do. Now keep your asinine judgments to yourself, unless you want the men around you to be offended any time you mention that you want a man with a job, or who can fix things around the house, or any other typically male quality.

« Older Comments