SUNSHINE, LOLLIPOPS AND RAINBOWS

Craig MacTavish continued his Magical Myster Tour of the media today, stopping in at the Oilers website to lay down some smack. I’m a MacT devotee, so he can get away with bloody murder on my watch, and he seemed intent on doing just that today.

• MacT: “I think that’s the model that we’re ultimately trying to piece together where we have a fourth line that would have lots of defensive zone starts and be able to play against anybody and then have three lines that are able to have success offensively.”

Unicorns! Free sex! Here, have some money! No, YOU take the last steak! I don’t know, but I hope it’s chocolate! Women with legs to the sky!! Look, I love this team and believe there’s all kinds of good things on the roster, but they’re several forwards short of 12 useful. Tell me I’m wrong.

The Edmonton Oilers won’t have three scoring lines next season. They’ll have two offensive lines, Boyd Gordon’s line with tote that barge and lift that bale, and then a fourth line that we can safely call ‘mixed nuts’ and not go far afield.

That’s  my opinion. I’m prepared for unicorns and chocolate and will discuss the rest with Mrs. Lowetide.

neverSpeaking of Mrs. Lowetide, you bastards made her cry. She’s the chief financial officer, so your generosity today floored her and she did in fact cry a few tears. Thanks so much, I’ve read most of the notes and will read them all before nightfall. Sincerely, thanks. I feel a little guilty after today, but promise to put the dollars to good use.

kelly

THREE SCORING LINES CAN’T BE DONE

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • The New Gagner-Perron-Yakupov
  • Arcobello-Joensuu-Lander
  • Gordon-Hendricks-Gazdic/Pinizzotto

MacT suggested the club would be willing to take on a large contract to minimize the required asset given, so let’s say the club acquired Vincent Lecavalier for a load of hay, and can sign David Moss as a free agent:

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • The New Gagner-Nikolai Kulemin-Yakupov
  • Vincent Lecavalier-Perron-Moss
  • Gordon-Hendricks-Arcobello/Gazdic/Pinizzotto

Is that better? I guess it depends on the new Gagner. What IF they brought in Grabovski and Kulemin:

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin-Yakupov
  • Arcobello-Perron-Gagner
  • Gordon-Hendricks-Gazdic/Pinizzotto

If MacTavish can bring in five guys who can have an impact—Grabovski, Kulemin, Moss, Coburn, Gilbert—this team rolls along in a very good way. However, history tells us that Rome wasn’t built in a day, that these things take time. The shopping list is smaller than it was last season, but it’s still significant.

MACT’S SUMMER 2014 LIST

1. A veteran top pairing defenseman. A real man, big time EV minutes and a history of successful sorties.
  2. A 2line C with experience and the ability to play a two-way game. This is the other vital piece.
  3. A legit two-way winger who can score 12-15 goals. The Pisani role. Mentor, calms the waters.
  4. Find a way to get value, or make use of, Sam Gagner. This does not include time at center.
  5. Improve the bottom 6F’s.
  6. Retain as much of the young cluster as possible, understanding that the player who represents #1 on this list might cost a young D who will one day fill that role.
  7. Get Petry signed long term.
  8. Sign Schultz but DO NOT break the bank.

81 Responses to "SUNSHINE, LOLLIPOPS AND RAINBOWS"

1. OilClog says:

Three scoring lines.. Where’s Hemmer when you need him!?!?!

Three scoring lines.. Anything is possible!

2. RexLibris says:

That third lineup:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin-Yakupov
    Arcobello-Perron-Gagner
    Gordon-Hendricks-Gazdic/Pinizzotto

I’d add Pitlick to the mix with Pinizotto/Gazdic, but man oh man that’d be some kind of nice roster. Supports Yakupov, gives Perron the chance to bash in some heads on matchups, hides Gagner’s defensive warts and gives Arcobello a chance to shine while Hendricks and Gordon go about their business keeping the puck in the other zone and killing penalties (see: Gazdic).

And Coburn and Gilbert to boot? Careful now, because that almost looks like an NHL team.

Be pretty funny if the Oilers ended up trading Petry for Coburn and replacing him with Gilbert.

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

I’m echoing everyone else at this point when I say your website and the work you do has made being an oiler fan bearable (sometimes even enjoyable) over the past few years.

When you say “put the dollars to good use” I sincerely hope you mean “I will spend the dollars on some combination of myself and my family”. Your contribution to my happiness over the past few years is difficult to measure, thanks for doing what you do.

RexLibris:
    That third lineup:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin-Yakupov Arcobello-Perron-Gagner Gordon-Hendricks-Gazdic/Pinizzotto

I’d add Pitlick to the mix with Pinizotto/Gazdic, but man oh man that’d be some kind of nice roster.Supports Yakupov, gives Perron the chance to bash in some heads on matchups, hides Gagner’s defensive warts and gives Arcobello a chance to shine while Hendricks and Gordon go about their business keeping the puck in the other zone and killing penalties (see: Gazdic).

Steve Dangle mentioned Komarov today, have you looked at him?

5. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lecavalier had just an awful year. I’d be really weary of taking on that contract. Just taking a glance at his WOWYs made me scared for the team that takes a flyer on him when PHI inevitably dumps him.

LT I enjoy reading your stuff immensely. Couldn’t tell ya the last one I’ve missed.

6. Gerta Rauss says:

Ca$h-Money!: When you say “put the dollars to good use” I sincerely hope you mean “I will spend the dollars on some combination of myself and my family”.

I’m hoping the decision making comes down to lager, or ale

7. gd says:

Stauffer specifically mentioned Grabo/Kulemin as a combo signing today after his interview with MacT, which I thought was very encouraging. My belief in the best way to approach free agency is to focus on guys that would have the fewest eligible suitors and if those guys want to go to the same team then the Oilers are one of the few teams that I think would be interested and can afford them. I think this signing solves more problems for the Oilers than even a Markov/Stralman signing.

8. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Steve Dangle mentioned Komarov today, have you looked at him?

Not sure he’s clear of the Mendoza line, but I know he got a lot of hype/interest during his 42 NHL games. He’s also spent time with Eakins, so there is that connection again.

I’m lukewarm on him. I think we’ve got Komarov-level talent in the AHL with no need to further insulate the developing pro-rookies there this year.

I think if this itch really existed, it has been scratched with players like the recently-signed Finn, Acton and the others.

9. Melman says:

~ isn’t a Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin-Yakupov line mean that the team is in danger of losing it’s entire 2nd line to the KHL ~

It would be great to get Grabbo and Kulemin, it just seems that the internet chatter for what its worth has Grabbo staying in Wash/the East

10. jimmers2 says:

LT, I have been hanging around here since.. er… 2004 I’d guess. Is that possible? Good grief! In that time, I found a real job, learned a second language (in which I work and live), found a wife, two kids, a mortgage. A lot has changed for me since 2004 but here you are still, and somehow still with (realistic) optimism and apparently a shed load of cool stories yet to tell. Many of those sound familiar by the way, except the camping coffin, nothing can touch that. Your blog has taught me most of what I actually know about hockey and quite a bit about critical thinking with stats (which is related to my line of work) I was delighted to make a little donation today but my little gesture pales in comparison to what you have been giving me for 10 years. My sincere thanks. I’ll be back tomorrow, so keep it coming!

11. nycoil says:

That looks a lot like my lineup from the prior thread, except I actually put Yak on the 3rd line with Gordon and Perron, Gordon being the kind of Horcoff-lite mentor for Yak. I want Grabovski and Kulemin to push the river together, babysit Samwise on the wing and restore his confidence and value. I also shelter Arco’s minutes a little bit, but feel he and Lander could possibly help that 4th line not be so bloody awful. Hendricks, well…I guess he’s better than other options.

Begin quote:

“As for your hopes for the summer, they align with mine. I really think the following is achievable:
    RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovksi (3x$5M)-Kulemin (3x$3.6M)-Gagner
    Gordon-Perron-Yakupov
    Arcobello-Lander-Hendricks

Markov (3x $5.3M give the 3rd year Montreal won’t give him for $2M less)-Petry (5x$4M)
    Marincin-Stralman (5x$4.5M, trade for his UFA rights to jump the queue and offer the man stability)
    Ference-Schultz (2x$3.5M)

Scrivens-Fasth

Think you could expect 80 goals from the top line (Nuge +/- 20, Eberle +/-30, Hall +/-30), 55 goals from the 2nd line (+/- 18 each), 55 goals from the third line (Gordon 10, Perron 25, Yak 20), 25 goals from the 4th line (Arco 10, Lander 10, Hendricks 5). Total from the forwards 215.

D scoring: Markov 10, Petry 5, Marincin 5, Stralman 5, Ference 5, Schultz 10 (averaging it out. Schultz and Markov may get 12 while MM, Stralman get 3) for a total of 40 goals.

Total Oilers GF goes up from 203 to 255. If the Oilers can get their GA down from 270 to 250 with average goal-tending, which I think they will get, we’re cookin’ at least.

12. SpotTheLoon says:

I wanted to say thanks for all you do. This site has long been a favourite of mine and I read each day as well follow your writings on other platforms. I am happy to make a contribution to the cause and would also like to speak in favour of a monthly subscription. The value of what you do and provide far exceeds what I can contribute but I think that you provide the best coverage of the Oilers of any source there is. Keep up the great work and it is us who should be thanking you for your years of dedication.

Prospects Most Likely to Be Picked Too High in 2014 NHL Draft

No. 1 is a surprise, guaranteed.

14. justDOit says:

Melman:

If they prefer racking up points in a sub-par league and making an insane amount of money, over playing in the best league in the world and making ridiculous money, they can go. And stay. I don’t think these guys are like that, but at the same time, I would stagger their contracts.

15. justDOit says:

… history tells us that Rome wasn’t built in a day…

… but he can be signed in a couple of weeks.

Edit: That’s not to say I’m suggesting it, despite how much traffic LT’s site would get from a Fraser/Rome pairing.

16. nycoil says:

Prospects Most Likely to Be Picked Too High in 2014 NHL Draft

No. 1 is a surprise, guaranteed.

Not going to spoil it for the others, but I’m not surprised. Totally agree with your reasoning. Was surprised to hear the recent chatter about certain GMs picking in the top 10 (again, won’t give it away cause it’s obvious) supposedly liking him at their number. Think it’s crazy.

P.S. Will only tolerate slide shows when you author them ;)

17. gcw_rocks says:

If you are gonna post a roster, can you also please post a cap hit associated with it? Not sure a lot of these survive after cap hit is taken into effect.

18. nycoil says:

LT,

We’ve heard from San Jose recently about the likes of Thornton, Marleau being made available, but look at this article! Wow. Wilson very strong commitment to a big rebuild!

nycoil:
    LT,

20. nycoil says:

gcw_rocks,

Not sure if directed at me, but my roster comes in at $70.7M including what I wrote above and re-signing Pitlick and Fedun to one-way $600K deals similar to Lander and Arco. Joensuu is still on the roster, and you get more space if you bury him and send Klefbom down and sign someone cheaper to be #7.

21. regwald says:

Prospects Most Likely to Be Picked Too High in 2014 NHL Draft

No. 1 is a surprise, guaranteed.

I thought you might have Edgars Kulda on that list. MVP at the Memorial Cup will drive his value up more than expected.

22. nycoil says:

I think they are, too. They were a good goaltender away from knocking off the Kings, and then who knows after that.

I wish there were some way to trade for Pavelski. His NTC doesn’t kick in until July 1. Maybe he even waives it anyway if he doesn’t want to go through a rebuild. He has 5 years @ $6M per season on his upcoming extension. Sell him on the idea that the Oilers are already nearly done the rebuild and entice him with the prospects of playing with Hall. One can dream for a bit, right? Not just the same old, “He’d never come to the Oilers, especially a big name American player.” Get Doug Weight to call him and sell him on Edmonton.

Pavelski-Hall-Eberle
    Nuge-Perron-Yakupov

Yup, that works!

23. stevezie says:

I can’t see a unicorn without thinking of this:

I like that so much I remembered my password and signed in from wherever I am. Enjoy.

24. Ryan says:

jimmers2:
    LT, I have been hanging around here since.. er… 2004 I’d guess.Is that possible?Good grief!In that time, I found a real job, learned a second language (in which I work and live), found a wife, two kids, a mortgage and learned a little about hockey (not my line of work) and quite a bit about about critical thinking with stats (which is related to my line of work).A lot has changed for me since 2004 but here you are still, and somehow still with (realistic) optimism and apparently a shed load of cool stories yet to tell.Many of those sound familiar by the way, except the camping coffin, nothing can touch that.I was delighted to make a little donation today but my little gesture pales in comparison to what you have been giving me for 10 years.My sincere thanks.I’ll be back tomorrow, so keep it coming!

It’s funny actually. When I used to meet new people and talk to them about the Oilers, I’d ask them if they read Lowetide and occasionally you’d get that subtle nod. It felt like we were talking about Fight Club or something. Now, if they know anything about hockey at all, the answer is more, “duh.”

For all that’s changed in my life too since I started reading this blog in 2008–marriage, house, work, etc, the one thing that’s remained consistent are my morning reads of this outstanding blog. Thank you Mr and Mrs Lowetide. :)

25. hags9k says:

My pleasure to donate today LT. I’d also be among those who would have no problem justifying a monthly subscription, I really enjoy this great little slice of cyberspace, haven’t missed a post in years, and generally spend time here each day.

I think the only way to 3 scoring lines would have to start with a big UFA signing C. A Stastny or a Legwand without giving anything up. That or the pick at 3 goes supernova directly out of the box.

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Stastny-Perron-Yakupov
    Arcobello/Draisatl-Kulemin-Gagner
    Gordon-Hendricks-Gazdic/Pinizzotto

But reality says the 4 line will be the 3 line, the second D pairing will be the first, and we are likely talking draft by about Jan 31.

26. jake70 says:

A suggestion LT. Perhaps give out official tax receipts for the donations. Let me explain – over the last few dark years, many have posted here that your blog has helped them stay connected to the team where they may not have otherwise. They have been to “the edge” but your blogs have pulled them back in..lol. That is to say, you are providing a mental health service and donations could be claimed as medical expenses. ;-)

Kidding of course. Keep up the great writing.

27. Ryan says:

jake70:
    A suggestion LT. Perhaps give out official tax receipts for the donations.Let me explain – over the last few dark years, many have posted here that your blog has helped them stay connected to the team where they may not have otherwise. They have been to “the edge” but your blogs have pulled them back in..lol.That is to say, you are providing a mental health service and donations could be claimed as medical expenses.

Kidding of course. Keep up the great writing.

I’ve always said that Lowetide is one part rumpelstiltskin and two parts psychotherapist. :).

If he wasn’t such a good purveyor of hope, I’d be mad at him for keeping me engaged with this hockey team well beyond the poin of sanity. :)

That be said, I hope daryl k stops bye and does the right thing.

28. TemujinBC says:

I spent more time watching and caring about the Oilers this season than I did about the Canucks.

First time that has happened since 1984, when my dad told me he was a Canucks fan (I was five years old) but I was all gung-ho about Gretzky and was so happy when they beat the Isles. Dad was too, still stinging over that sweep in ’82 I suppose.

My love for the NHL has waned like crazy since the Canucks lost to the Bruins and since the damnable lock-out… but I’ve been a regular reader around here despite it all. You poor Oil fans are patient and long-suffering and should have abandoned ship years ago. But with a blog like this to check in with everyday, how could you possibly desert it so easily?

You’ve dragged me kicking and screaming into Oiler fandom.

You rotten sonofabi…..

Cheers o/

29. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: Wow, that’s pretty amazing. I think they’re blowing it up too soon. Offloading Boyle is good business, but Thornton and Marleau? too much

oliveoilers: Well now, SJ has made the play-offs 10 years straight, but if they need advice on tanking and rebuilding, I think there’s one or two teams in the NHL that know as much as us, if there’s ever a concern. ;-)

bud-da-boom!

31. shawwwood says:

Glad to contribute LT.
    I’ve been a fan of this blog for a long time.
    It’s also the only comments section worth reading.
    That’s a tribute to the posters and to you.
    I think there is a players take on the personality of the coach analogy there.
    Thanx all

32. oliveoilers says:

TemujinBC,

Temujin? As in Ghengis’ childhood name? If we keep insisting on using d-men with who can’t skate, we could do a lot worse than a mongol warlord! (Don’t forget to use the mongoli bar and grill, official restaurant of the Oilers!)

33. Racki says:

nycoil:

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Grabovksi (3x$5M)-Kulemin (3x$3.6M)-Gagner
    Gordon-Perron-Yakupov
    Arcobello-Lander-Hendricks

Now I’m not one to typically advocate young players being rushed into the lineup, but if he;s on line 3 playing with vets, that’s going to be cushy, easy minutes…What about this, if the Oil take Draisaitl, and your signings go as planned? (center in the middle)

Hall-Nuge-Ebs

Kulemin-Grabo-Yakupov <– KGB LINE!.. we just have to convince Yakupov to change his last name to Bakupov.

Perron-Gordon-Draisaitl

Whocares-Whocares-Whocares / copy/paste your 4th line

In all seriousness, I think if Draisaitl is drafted, and despite our typical hatred/angst for the Oilers rushing players, demoing Draisaitl with two quite reliable veterans, one of which is a very talented scorer.. might be a good thing.

As far as Gagner, maybe he can be moved for a 2nd pairing LHD, with Oilers retaining salary on Gagner.

34. John Chambers says:

This blog, and coffee, got me through many cold Winnipeg mornings over the past few years waking up dead early with my young son and infant daughter.

I’m not sure why the writer is so bearish on Nicole Ritchie’s brother … He’s a tank and Paris Hilton hanging around the locker room would surely boost morale.

35. Alsker says:

Prospects Most Likely to Be Picked Too High in 2014 NHL Draft

No. 1 is a surprise, guaranteed.

Oh man where was your list when the Oil picked MAP in the first round, they really could have used your advise and honest non-biased insight…..such is the legacy of Klowe….sad

36. wunderbar says:

Lowetide;

I’ve been to this site every day. Every. Single. Day. Since I discovered it a couple years ago. I follow you on twitter and damned if you aren’t one of the funniest guys in my timeline. My only regret about hitting the paypal button is that I gave you my money so fast that I forgot to write the note I was going to write with it.

I won’t go into all the detail I was going to write in said note but I’ll say that because of you my interest and knowledge in the Oilers and the NHL has increased exponentially, which honestly I’m not sure whether to thank you or curse you for it. I actually find a radio and find your part of the dial to get the lowdown more days than not, and I’ll be following you across the internet for as long as you do this, which I hope is forever.

wunderbar/Tyler

37. misfit says:

If that Wilson interview wasn’t enough, the signing of Mike Brown to a two year contract extension should really drive home the fact that the Sharks are serious about rebuilding.

38. slopitch says:

‏@RumorBreak
    TOR: Hearing Phaneuf’s days are also numbered. Oilers/Sharks are the front runners. Blues also interested in the veteran D. (1/2)

This guy is likely a BS account but interestingly enough he is from Toronto.

39. delooper says:

If I hit that paypal button, how much editorial control does it buy me? I’d like more sunshine, unicorns and sexy women, please.

40. Hammers says:

Seems like we are going from the big deal from last year to the fact we need 5 NHL players . I also believe in McT but its a lot to ask/hope for . Basically I see him keeping our pick at #3 getting 2 UFA players and making 1 trade If he does add a decent 4th or 5th I will be very happy but I think the odds are against 2 trades as all good trades you must give up something worthwhile to get something . What can we give up ? As for UFA players there are 29 other teams going for at least 1 player . Hell maybe he should have got Booth for a 4th rd pick . 2 years left on contract & played well in Florida but sucked in Van . A bit of a gamble but !!!!!!!!!! maybe that’s the type of deal he has to make .

41. PDO says:

My only complaint about this blog is that LT is a heathen who won’t stop doing the weird C-LW-RW thing and he is CONVERTING PEOPLE TO DO IT TOO!

It’s AWFUL! :D

Otherwise one of the best places on the interweb.

As far as this goes… I’d be all over the Kulemin/Grabo combo but I don’t think it happens. I do think MacT is staring a very large trade right in the face that involves a ton of salary coming to Edmonton.

I trust MacT. He’s had some misses (Ference) some meh (Gagner contract) and some homers (Perron and Scrivens). There’s a lot that we won’t know for some time, and he got lucky on missing out on Clarkson, but you can see there is a plan and that he has an actual plan. I loved his reaction today to acquiring more picks. Also loved the run by he took at the GM’s who all undervalued Hemsky.

I expect fire works sooner rather than later, along with the Oiler’s not picking at #3. Should be a fun 10 days leading up to the draft.

#3 and Petry for #9 and Dusty Buf?

Would that get it done? I feel like Dusty is grossly underrated though I’m not sure Eakins would want any part of him.

42. Southern Oil says:

LT,
    I am glad to hear that the paypal experiment went well. I don’t think you have any reason to feel guilty in the slightest. I echo many hear about this wonderful corner of the Al Gore. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and if you notice so many of your sayings have become part of our lingo – standard practice. The level of discussion on this site is top notch.

I log onto this website 4-5 times / day minimum. I’d be lost without it. Unfortunately (due to my son’s medical condition where all of our money goes) I cannot contribute monetarily but want to pass on my thanks through this post.

My situation will change at some point. I married the strongest woman in the world and she will make sure of it. At some point in the future, I look forward to hitting that button. It’s a new goal of mine! In the mean time, I look forward to more of what this site has to offer.

Congrats on your success!

43. wheatnoil says:

I can’t remember when I started reading this blog. I know it was when I still lived in Edmonton, so it had to have been at least 5 years ago. I know many here have put forward the idea of a subscription. I don’t know how such a thing would work, but I know I’d like to pay in a subscription-like pattern. It just makes more sense than a one-time payment to me, based on how I consume this product. If you ever do decide to have a voluntary subscription program, LT, I’d love to be a part of it.

Until such time though, I’m more than happy to make a contribution!

44. nycoil says:

Racki,

Yes, totally agree with your plans for Samwise. I’ve been saying for a while that my preferred move with Gagner is to trade him for a top 4 defenseman, rather than try to get another C with lesser upside (like Bailey) or picks.

As for Draisaitil on the Gordon’s wing on the 3rd line, I’d be OK with either him or Reinhart in that situation. Bennett I probably send back for a year (and I am a fan of Bennett).

If they had LD depth they would have beat LAK.

Lost Vlasic, who is a top 10 Dmen in the NHL.

Behind him they had Boyle, Stuart and had to bring in Irwin.

They had nothing on the left side and LAK pounded them there.

I expected Wilson to grab Marincin for spare parts.

I didn’t expect him to blow it up.

Its the wrong move.

Only winning one round in 3 years will do that to you.

Man.

slopitch:
    ‏@RumorBreak

This guy is likely a BS account but interestingly enough he is from Toronto.

TOR wants to dump salary.

MacT mentions to everyone he can take on salary and sounds like he has a deal in the bag.

Probably waiting to see if the NHL super-sizes the cap and adds the Rogers money.

If they do, the deal probably falls apart.

My guess is:

Phaneuf and Clarkson for Gagner and Klefbom.

BOOK IT!

PDO:

It’s AWFUL! :D

Otherwise one of the best places on the interweb.

As far as this goes… I’d be all over the Kulemin/Grabo combo but I don’t think it happens.I do think MacT is staring a very large trade right in the face that involves a ton of salary coming to Edmonton.

I trust MacT.He’s had some misses (Ference) some meh (Gagner contract) and some homers (Perron and Scrivens).There’s a lot that we won’t know for some time, and he got lucky on missing out on Clarkson, but you can see there is a plan and that he has an actual plan.I loved his reaction today to acquiring more picks.Also loved the run by he took at the GM’s who all undervalued Hemsky.

I expect fire works sooner rather than later, along with the Oiler’s not picking at #3.Should be a fun 10 days leading up to the draft.

#3 and Petry for #9 and Dusty Buf?

Would that get it done?I feel like Dusty is grossly underrated though I’m not sure Eakins would want any part of him.

Just give in to the logic, PDO. You’ll sleep better. I used to have all of my hockey cards like this btw. In 1971, I would have had packs that featured Phil Esposito (Boston), Henri Richard (Habs), Jean Ratelle (NYR), Dave Keon (TOR), Alex Delvecchio (DET), Stan Mikita (CHI), Bobby Clarke (PHI), Syl Apps (PIT), Danny O’Shea (STL—I’m guessing now), Jude Drouin (MIN), Juha Widing (LAK), Walt McKechnie (OAK), Orland Kurtenbach (VAN) and Gil Perreault (BUF).

I think you may be right about MacT having a deal he’s waiting to pull the trigger on. I’ll guess Toronto.

PDO,

#3 and Petry for #9 and Dusty Buf?

I think you have to add a significant piece to get both. Petry has no cache.

49. wunderbar says:

Woodguy,

The Rogers money won’t hit the NHL salary cap until the 15/16 season. The Salary cap is based on the previous year’s revenue, so 14/15 being the first year of that revenue the cap won’t reflect that until a year later.

wunderbar:
    Woodguy,

THat’s actually being reviewed….

51. wunderbar says:

Also this is off topic but I’m not sure if this is here for consumption today: Friedman and Oake have been confirmed to be moving to Rogers. Friedman will “continue to be an insider and reporter” and I guess his first day on SNet will be July 1 for free agency. Oake will continue to be on HNIC.

So I’m just going to rub a rabbit’s foot all summer that maybe just maybe Friedman can keep Kypreos and the rest of the SNet “talent” in check a bit.

wunderbar:
    Woodguy,

CBA has a provision to include it:

Based purely on the NHL’s projected revenues of $3.7-billion this season, the salary cap will rise to roughly $69.5-million for next year – a noteworthy 8 per cent increase that is in line with what we’ve seen in the past.

What that doesn’t factor in, however, is the possibility that the NHL and players’ union negotiate to include the new Canadian television deal in the cap formula right away, a distinct possibility according to multiple sources last week.

“If a significant one-time increase or decrease to league-wide revenues is anticipated in the next league year,” the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement reads, “the parties will endeavor to estimate the expected increase or decrease and incorporate that estimate into” the cap calculation.

Source is a good one, James Mirtle: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-plenty-of-buyouts-expected-to-kick-off-nhls-silly-season/article19176028/

53. wunderbar says:

hmmm, I was skeptical on that but came across this from the CBA “If a significant one-time increase or decrease to league-wide revenues is anticipated in the next league year, the parties will endeavor to estimate the expected increase or decrease and incorporate that estimate into” the cap calculation.

While I’d have no argument that the players would want it, don’t you think there would be a number of NhL teams on a budget who would like to defer it a year to actually receive the revenue before having to start paying the money? Ottawa, Florida, Phoenix, Tampa, Nashville, Columbus, hell even Winnipeg would probably all want to see the actual money in the bank first. I’ll put it at 50/50 that it happens.

54. nycoil says:

Woodguy: TOR wants to dump salary.

My guess is:

Phaneuf and Clarkson for Gagner and Klefbom.

BOOK IT!

wunderbar:

The teams tight against the cap run the NHL and they’d all want it increased.

nycoil: For the love of Gord, I hope not. Oilers could regret that for a long time. Two years from now it wouldn’t surprise me if Klef is better than Phaneuf at a fraction of the cost (maybe not offensively but defensively). And Clarkson? Yuck.

Prepare for the worst.

Hope for the best.

57. wheatnoil says:

This is where MacT confuses me. He says things like this and I believe him. However, this model is not compatible with having Gazdic re-signed and playing on the 4th line. So we’ll see what happens with Gazdic, Fraser, and rumoured additions like Engelland.

Still, encouraging words!

58. Racki says:

nycoil:
    Racki,

Yah, I’d do the same with Bennett too (although I admittedly consider him the 4th best choice for the Oilers anyways, even though I think he’ll be a pretty good player.

Woodguy: TOR wants to dump salary.

Phaneuf and Clarkson for Gagner and Klefbom.

BOOK IT!

Hey!!! With some of the comments MacT makes, he practically admitted that they read the internet.. don’t sound so serious, they might actually think that’s a good idea and go and pull that deal off! :P

I will arrange some contacts at TELUS to route his calls to Jamaica if he attempts to make any phone calls to Toronto in the next couple of months.

59. nycoil says:

Gagner (25% retained), Klefbom, #3 for Pavelski + #20?

Not enough for an in-division trade? I know, I know. Wishful thinking.

60. nycoil says:

Woodguy: Prepare for the worst.

Hope for the best.

I hear you loud and clear. Still, your “worst” is far, far worse than my worst case scenario under MacT. So you succeeded in scaring me. I fear the Philly trade for Coburn as well.

What was that Russian saying? “We hoped for the best, but it turned out like always.”

61. PDO says:

I think SJS would pull the trigger on that. I’m not sure I would. Pavelski strikes me as the Seabrook of the Sharks – he looks really damn good, but is he that good or is it the supporting cast bringing a good player to look great?

If you’re hunting with the #3 and Klefbom, I think a pretty large return has to be expected. I’d like Pavelski a lot, but I’m not sure he’s the guy you break the bank for.

nycoil:
    Gagner (25% retained), Klefbom, #3 for Pavelski + #20?

Not enough for an in-division trade? I know, I know. Wishful thinking.

I don’t think they trade Pavelski

63. Racki says:

wheatnoil:

Still, encouraging words!

They haven’t re-signed Gazdic yet.. so it may not happen. I actually like Gazdic (because I appreciate the knuckle draggers, and he isn’t a terrible hockey player.. well.. not THAT terrible :P). But yah, he doesn’t fit into that plan at all. Anyways, he should be a slam dunk easy signing, so I kind of think they aren’t bringing him back. Always sad to see the fighters go, as I’m an ol’ dog and fan of that kind of hockey. But hey, even if they bring him back, he could still be a 14th forward.

They are negotiating with Mark Fraser right now though, which makes me face palm. Don’t like that at all.

I do like that they are attempting to build an actual legit checking line. I guess that means that Gordon has to spend all night in the d-zone still, or he gets the hose again.

64. nycoil says:

Woodguy: I don’t think they trade Pavelski

I agree. Wishful thinking that Pavelski, at 29, sees the writing on the wall when Burns, Thornton, Marleau, Niemi are moved, and decides quietly he wants out as well. They build around Couture, Hertl, Nieto and whatever futures they get for their aging vets.

Edit- Pavelski turns 30 this summer.

65. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: CBA has a provision to include it:

Wonder if some NHL teams are waiting to see what the cap will be next year before deciding on whether to use their remaining compliance buy-outs / trading to use their remaining compliance buy-out.

66. nycoil says:

Actually the more I think about it, if Wilson is really set on a rebuild, he should trade Pavelski. He’d become the #1 available C ahead of Kesler and Spezza and Stastny, and teams would give up a king’s ransom for him. His NTC kicks in July 1, his value will never be higher after his (likely) outer-marker, career-high year of 40G 79P. He is likely to regress from that next year, especially if the Sharks trade away the guys passing to him on the PP (31 PP pts out of the 79 this year).

If I’m Wilson I don’t blow it up, but since he seems set on it, well, I’d start with Pavelski.

67. nycoil says:

wheatnoil,

Seems that’s the case for certain rich teams, like NYR with Brad Richards.
    For teams like Buffalo and Dallas, they’re going ahead anyway.

68. Professor Q says:

There are quite a few famous progeny in this draft, eh?

Prospects Most Likely to Be Picked Too High in 2014 NHL Draft

No. 1 is a surprise, guaranteed.

69. rickithebear says:

WG:
    DB 3.25 EVGA
    H-R-E cannot cover that .
    F.M!
    D>A>I

70. ohhell says:

Enjoy the contribution LT. As a worn out season ticket holder, this has become the only place I turn for Oiler talk. I appreciate your even keel and insightful approach to the team, the sport of hockey and more importantly, to family. Your blog is a daily visit for me (several times per day, in fact). I could credit you (and the regular contributors here) with keeping the fire burning when other voices in my head are screaming “run!”.

I am more the consumer-type than the contributor, but I do consume a lot. Although I generally consume for free (on the internet of things), I am extremely pleased to make a contribution as thanks for your great work and steadfast commitment. Frankly, your commitment to this blog staggers me. Clap. Clap.

71. rickithebear says:

1.16
    1.13

72. nycoil says:

rickithebear,

I see “pi” in there!

P.S.-
    On TSN 1260 Dreger said that Spezza will refuse a trade to the Islanders, the Predators, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Florida Panthers as well as to any of the other six Canadian teams in the league.

73. nycoil says:

Ryan O’Reilly’s dad:
    Brian O’Reilly
    ‏@coachbri1
    Management excellence is learning how to satisfy your own needs in a way that doesn’t prevent any of your employees to satisfy theirs.

74. jesse r says:

LT I’ll echo all the nice things people have been saying. I found this blog in ’05 when I was in university, desperate for information on if the Oilers would find a goalie to trade for (they did). Little did I know I’d stumbled on the best hockey writer around, period. I’m sure you will put the donations to good use, but in the meantime, I hope you have a beer, then have another one.

75. Kitchener says:

LT – Do what you like with everyone else’s donation, but please turn mine into ice cold beer. Seriously though, this blog is the cat’s pajamas.

—-

Regarding the Clarkson rumors, if we trade for him, at least:
    – the contract amount won’t be as much as if he’d just signed here (we offered him more, right?)
    – our expectations will be so low it’ll be hard to be disappointed (imagine if we’d signed him last year, then endured the 2013-14 season with him?)
    – if he comes with a free bag of pucks (a 7th rounder or part of a larger deal), that’s a bag of pucks we wouldn’t have had if he’d just signed here last year.

That said, here’s hoping Clarkson’s salary stays tied to some other boat.

76. Caramel Obvious says:

2.14
    2.11
    1.95
    1.66
    1.16
    1.13

This is the essence of Ricki. Perfect.

77. Caramel Obvious says:

nycoil:
    Ryan O’Reilly’s dad:
    Brian O’Reilly
    ‏@coachbri1

This is the guy to target.

I don’t actually hate the idea of acquiring Clarkson. Cap space is the only thing of value the Oilers have. However, if you take Clarkson, he has to come with something nice and shiny to make it go down.. Phaneuf isn’t nice and shiny. At his salary he is serviceable at best

So Clarkson, Phaneuf, and Kadri or Gardiner is what I’d be looking at in exchange for Gagner and Klefbom.

Kitchener,

Regarding the Clarkson rumors,

Its not a rumour.

I pulled it out of me arse.

79. G Money says:

Woodguy:
    Kitchener,

Regarding the Clarkson rumors,

Its not a rumour.

I pulled it out of me arse.

You’ve heard of outsourcing, crowdsourcing, etc.?

Most rumours are proudly colon-sourced.

80. russ99 says:

Chasing three scoring lines is just a vain idea. That doesn’t especially work out in today’s NHL.

I’d much prefer 2 elite scoring lines without a Clarkson-like knuckledragger to slow them all down, a shutdown 3rd line that’s truly 2-way and can score from time to time and a 4th “energy” line that can defend and also pop a few in, with the infamous Glencross – Brodziak – Stortini line as the blueprint.

BTW: Arcobello, Lander, Pinozotto, Pitlick, Gazdic, etc. couldn’t crack a bottom six on any contender. To expect that more than one can contribute consistently is wishful thinking.

81. HallDown says:

Why do people always shove Perron down to the 3rd line?? He scored 28 goals in a career year, despite being in a different spot every night. I don’t believe that was a one-off, 30-goal Kulemin sort of thing. Leave him on the 2nd line, left or right, and you have one less spot to fill. He’s earned it, and because Perron can play either side well MacT can either trade or FA for a LW or RW, opening up more options. Yakupov should grow into a legit 2nd liner next year, although it may not be until mid or late season. Moving Gagner to his inevitable new role as a RW would help, and if not he’s a good trade chip to fill one of those 3rd line holes.

Hall – Nugent Hopkins – Eberle
    NEW/ Perron – NEW – Gagner/Yakupov/Perron
    NEW – Draisaitl – NEW/Yakupov
    Hendricks – Gordon – Whoever

That’s still a lot of work to do, but the forward group is farther along then they get credit for.