SWEET JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH

The Edmonton Oilers have hired Craig Ramsay as assistant coach. Jesus. Jesus. Thank you Jesus. THIS is a terrific item. More to come.

ramsay capture tsn

This is beyond good news, this is clarity and vision and hiring the BEST AVAILABLE. Craig Ramsay knew how to play hockey in Peterborough, played it brilliantly in Buffalo and coached it all over hell’s half acre.

imlach book 1

This is golden.
It was the two-way play of Buffalo Sabres like Craig Ramsay, Don Luce and Danny Gare in the 1974-75 semifinals (when Montreal was eliminated by Buffalo) that showed Scotty Bowman his team needed two lines that could keep an opposing team at bay.

-Douglas Hunter, A Life in Hockey

Music! I’m thrilled. I’ve mentioned Ramsay for years, he’s the real McCoy, but did mention his name at ON many times, recently here. You’re going to see the Oilogosphere fall all over themselves talking about Ramsay as an option and how far we’ve gone back talking about him, but the answer is probably a decade or more. He’s that good, and he’s an Oiler.

I’m going to have a beer, and then I’m going to have another one!

81 Responses to "SWEET JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH"

1. Ben says:

Smith considering options.

Huddy available?

2. tubes says:

Sweet baby jeebus!!! Great news.

3. cmcousine says:

Please hire Huddy, please hire Huddy, please hire Huddy

4. G Money says:

cmcousine:
    Please hire Huddy, please hire Huddy, please hire Huddy

Or how about Pearn? Do I hear a Pearn out there?

5. Jordan says:

sabreslegends.blogspot.com/2007/10/craig-ramsay.html

Plus:
    He’s not one of the boys on the bus
    He knows hockey, and has been around the league
    He knows a lot about losing

Minus:
    He’s never coached a winning team.

I’m happy they have someone different in the room. I’m not convinced this is the right person.

Eakins on Bob’s show right now. 1:07pm

7. book¡je says:

Kelly Buchburger is gone – the Oilers have fixed all of their problems!

8. CrazyCoach says:

Best news I’ve heard out of Oilerland in a long time.

The planets are aligning now, and not in an Ultimate Warrior kind of way.

9. TheOtherJohn says:

Any possiblity that POHO K Lowe is out too?

Eakins: Ramsay is running D and is reponsible for PP
    Stauffer Bucky been here last 6 years…….. whats his win % .44

Love Ramsay’s helmut above

10. supernova says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Any possiblity that POHO K Lowe is out too?

Eakins: Ramsay is running D and is reponsible for PP

If Ramsay is running the D then Smith is out than too.

Wander if we are seeing Nelson come up

There was the mysterious assistant coach in OKlahamo posting.

11. Jordan says:

Sounds like Smith is gone too – according to Eakins he’s been offered a new role, and Smith is considering his offer. (based on my understanding of Eakin’s comments on Stauffer).

12. Melman says:

Hip Hip Hooray!!!

13. book¡je says:

Jordan:

From Eakin’s tone in discussing that, I think it was clear that Smith is being offered a lesser role.

Notes from Eakins interview with Bob

-Lots of teams were interested in Ramsay so they locked him down as soon as they could.

-Checks of many boxes of the things we need, not just a one trick pony

-Wants to run an aggressive defence, his imprint is on BOS (awesome!!! lack of a fiece forecheck is my biggest pet peeve)

-Been a Head Coach, Associate Coach and Assistant Coach

-Ramsay will be running the defence and be on the bench

-Ramsay will run the Powerplay

-Smith is an excellent coach – want to keep him in a new role that Smith will have to consider

-Tough decision by Eakins, MacT and Bucky to get this done.

-”Felt it was a necessity to make the change” “I challenged the players to do everything to be better and I challenged myself to do the same, and we had to make tough decisions”
    _____________________________

This is just great.

This shows me that MacT is giving Eakins reign over the coaching. Still wish MacT wouldn’t have given the coaches his thumbs up at the year end presser.

Eakins talked like Smith is gone too.

Wonder if they bring someone else in or just go with Eakins, Ramsay and Acton?

Have to think there is one more hire coming.

I think that there will be some Oil King and Oil Baron movement and perhaps the other assistant comes out of that.

Great day.

Jordan:

He’s never coached a winning team.

I’m happy they have someone different in the room.I’m not convinced this is the right person.

Won inTampa Bay as an asst and has been an exceptional asst coach for decades. This is a big deal. If you’re not convinced next year, we can chat. Holy hell, this is the best thing that ever happened to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

16. book¡je says:

Woodguy,

I no longer care about MacT’s ‘Thumbs up’ for Smith and Buchburger now that I know which part of the press conference was B.S.. It was either ‘Eakins has the authority to hire/fire coaches’ OR ‘Buchburger and Smith are great coaches and are going to stay in Edmonton’.

This is simply an awesome move. I am thrilled. While not having great success as a head coach, he has a really good background as an assistant on winning teams – exactly what the Oilers needed. He also brings experience from about 6 different NHL clubs.

17. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy,

thanks for the update

This is great news, I can’t see how anyone can spin this otherwise, although I’m certain some will try

18. TheGreatMutato says:

A positive change that isn’t simply for change’s sake. I’m so happy right now.

19. Jordan says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    For the curious.

Followed up on a Speeds suggestion here:

Hi Rom,

I think there are two assertions we can make with that kind of IPP.
    1 – It’s an outlier, and is likely not to be repeated
    2 – It’s an outlier, and this player may be underrated

My question is “How does this IPP compare to previous draft years?”
    I’ve been a fan of Leon for a while now, so I’m curious to know what kind of company he would have had in other draft years – surely there are other players who have had such high IPPs.

20. TheOtherJohn says:

Fla PP% is 6th in NHL in 12/13 with a less than stellar roster

21. speeds says:

I thought Kulikov might be an interesting fit for EDM prior to this, but it would be interesting to know what Ramsay thinks of Kulikov as a player, if indeed he becomes available for trade

22. Henry says:

I’m laid up sick and cant get out of bed. But because of this news I’m feeling good. I get annoyed sometimes when people refer to defensive players as two-way. Ramsay almost defined two-way. Danny Gare scored 56 one year with him.

speeds:

GREAT point. Campbell and Gilbert also had success with him in Florida.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Oilogosphere jokes come full circle.

Next will be hiring a guy with an onion belt.

25. cmcousine says:

So, who do we fire next year if the team craps the bed? Eakins?

26. bendelson says:

Ahem…

No ‘sail on piece’ for Bucky?
    He was a good foot soldier for teams ‘Boys on the Bus’ and ‘Batman and friends’ for many, many years…

Sail on Moose Jaw Warrior!
    It’s about bloody time.

27. striatic says:

bendelson: Sail on Moose Jaw Warrior!
    It’s about bloody time.

I’ve read he’s been “Re-Assigned”, not fired, which makes it awkward to say he’s “sailed on”.

28. G Money says:

bendelson,

He’s not sailing on, he’s just moving sideways (and a little bit down).

Let’s hope he does not do for Oiler player procurement what he did for Oiler assistant coaching.

29. spoiler says:

It’s both stunning and perfect.

30. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: an onion belt.

I would take an onion belt as a replacement for Smith at this point.

Not a guy *with* an onion belt – an actual onion belt.

31. Pouzar says:

I said no matter what happens this offseason, I wouldn’t be able to take this organization seriously if Bucky and SS were back. We’re 95% there (pending SS news).

Sweet Moses the liver is taken a beating tonight!

32. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    The Oilogosphere jokes come full circle.

Next will be hiring a guy with an onion belt.

Damned funny twitter thread there.

LT’s grad photo, huh? Nice. :)

I had wondered about adding Nelson this year and moving Laxdal to OKC thus promoting Hamilton for the OKs. This would mean moving Smith back to something like pro scouting, which he’d done previously (in Chicago for awhile, iirc) and finding a new roost for Buchberger. But it rewards competence and success, retains coaching assets, and provides examples of internal accountability.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: I would take an onion belt as a replacement for Smith at this point.

Not a guy *with* an onion belt – an actual onion belt.

“And. I’ve always maintained having an onion belt on the bench was worth 500K a year.”

34. VanOil says:

Eakins seems determined to not only have the best hair behind the bench but the only hair behind the bench. Bucky should have never sprung for those plugs.

Other than signing Petry this is the best news I can think of pre-draft.

35. Lloyd B. says:

I hope he doesn’t teach them to watch the puck like he’s doing in this photo. He is a second away from meeting Mr Oreilly up close and personnal. O’reilly was a beaut. Probably be suspended for longer than anybody if he was playing today. Great signing by Oilers. MacTavish must read us or he is smarter than some in these parts give him credit for.

36. commonfan14 says:

Friedman saying Carolina has interviewed Nelson for their head coaching job.

book¡je:
    Woodguy,

I no longer care about MacT’s ‘Thumbs up’ for Smith and Buchburger now that I know which part of the press conference was B.S..It was either ‘Eakins has the authority to hire/fire coaches’ OR ‘Buchburger and Smith are great coaches and are going to stay in Edmonton’.

This is simply an awesome move.I am thrilled.While not having great success as a head coach, he has a really good background as an assistant on winning teams – exactly what the Oilers needed.He also brings experience from about 6 different NHL clubs.

Agreed.

I was concerned that MacT wasn’t giving Eakins full authority over the coaching staff with his verbal.

That fear has been alleviated.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jordan: Hi Rom,

I think there are two assertions we can make with that kind of IPP.
    1 – It’s an outlier, and is likely not to be repeated
    2 – It’s an outlier, and this player may be underrated

My question is “How does this IPP compare to previous draft years?”

I think both of your take-aways (esp. as caveated) are correct.

I would run the numbers on previous years but I don’t have the On Ice ES Goals for numbers.

the Gus Machine goes back to last year, but it doesn’t sort easily and I’ve found a few glitches in the 2013 numbers (haven’t found any in the 2014, but I haven’t checked them all obviously… otherwise what’s the point of having the tool, ha!)

But, I certainly suspect you are right. I’m sure there are other examples. But, I doubt now (after this second look) that it is relatively common.

39. blainer says:

This is a smart move on Eakins and Mact’s part. They need someone who knows how to coach and can hopefully teach the players how to practice at an NHL pace rather than a minor league pace. This helps in every area and may indeed save Eakins his job if he works out. The coaching is as a whole will be very happy if Scrivens has a 928% save percentage next year as that would make them look like brilliant. This could likely happen if they change the goalie coach also in order to avoid any more Dubnyk type of errors.

40. Ribs says:

Oh, good. His kids are too old to play on the Oilers fourth line next season.

41. book¡je says:

blainer:
    This is a smart move on Eakins and Mact’s part. They need someone who knows how to coach and can hopefully teach the players how to practice at an NHL pace rather than a minor league pace. This helps in every area and may indeed save Eakins his job if he works out. The coaching is as a whole will be very happy if Scrivens has a 928% save percentage next year as that would make them look like brilliant. This couldlikely happen if they change the goalie coach also in order to avoid any more Dubnyk type of errors.

I’d be happy with only 100% save percentage!

42. Pouzar says:

Hmmmm…..

“For years, Ramsay served as the cooler-head counterbalance to John Tortorella’s presence in the Tampa Bay dressing room, a dynamic that apparently served the team well during the Lightning’s run of success.”

Me likey….

“Most recently, Ramsay was an assistant to Kevin Dineen in Florida for two and a bit seasons. Dineen is also looking for an NHL job, making for an interesting possibility there. Ramsay’s responsibility was the Panthers’ horrendous 30th ranked powerplay; however, in 2011-12 and 2012-13 the Panthers’ PP finished 7th and 5th respectively.”

43. bendelson says:

OK so the whole ‘sail on’ verbal was premature – overly excited by the news I suppose… one can hardly blame a fella.

“Enjoy your new position in the organziation Moose Jaw Warrior!’ works better in this instance.
    It’s sincere too – so long as the new position is one of little authority or consequence.

I imagine one of those offices with no doors.

45. Hall Awaits says:

This gives me hope. Go Eakins for forcing Mac-T’s hand on this.

46. anonymous says:

Still think Eakins doesn’t make it to American thanksgiving. If anything he should be Ramseys assistant.

47. anonymous says:

Did they clarify assistant or associate?

48. Gerta Rauss says:

anonymous:
    Did they clarify assistant or associate?

The Edmonton #Oilers have hired Craig Ramsay as an Assistant Coach; Kelly Buchberger transitions into new role in Player Personnel.
    ExpandReplyRetweetFavorite

49. OilClog says:

I’m so happy!!

50. anonymous says:

Seems like a good bet. Good guy to have in the interim should Eakins prove not up to the task.

51. OilClog says:

Can’t name new goalie coach until the kings win.. Then hopefully all energy put into bringing Ranford back!

52. Big Dan says:

I have nothing else to see. MacT had a rough first summer (with the exception fo the Perron trade and Gordon signing), but I have liked everything he has done since then.

MacT knows what he is doing. Ramsay is PERFECT, bloody perfect for what we need.

Now I can go onto step 2 and navel gaze for MacT to get a couple experienced bought out centers for cheap (Richards? Lecavalier?) and a #1 and #2 D. No problem.

53. zatch says:

I’m sure most of you have seen Dellow’s tweets by now to the affect that Ramsay actually got some solid Corgis running out of a pretty mediocre roster in Atlanta’s last season. I think Winnipeg ditching him was a mistake.

I’m encouraged. I never got how Smith and Bucky stuck around year after failed year; they tried switching up just about everything else.

54. Kitchener says:

The best part about the Ramsay news (and other possible changes to the coaching staff) is that reasonable expectations for next season just got a lot harder to predict. Coaching can have a big impact, which may be enough to elevate the team beyond the doom-and-gloom predictions of our armchair GMs.

It may be overly optimistic to say “with Ramsay in, our problems are solved”, but it’s way better than just re-icing last season’s formula and hoping for improvement.

Two thumbs up!

55. slopitch says:

This is a great hire. I’m no longer gonna believe what management says to the media. Im fine if they spout off BS rather them promise stuff that they may or may not be able to get. Under promise and over deliver all day and I wont care what they say publicly.

Makes me wonder how big MacT will be swinging behind closed doors with all that cap space.

56. rich says:

Been in meetings all day and just seeing this. Very good news.

LT – I don’t know if you had this on your checklist for MacT this summer or not, but this is absolutely huge. We’ve been talking about this since at least last January. The GM needed to give Eakins help on the bench if he was going to succeed.

I’m not sure if this was initiated by MacT or by Eakins – or a collaboration, but this move can’t be under-stated for it’s potential impact. The rookie coach needed help, he’s getting it from another sage who’ll be able to mentor him.

Gives me hope for the new season. Even more if he’s running the D.

Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, we’re free at last!

57. theres oil in virginia says:

Mother Mary and Joseph!

(This is a test to see if JustDoIt is around.)

;)

58. gogliano says:

Another solid item in Ramsay’s favor–and probably why he took the job–is that if we do start off terribly he is a pretty solid choice to finish out the year. Nice year in ATL by Dellow’s analysis and a pretty seasoned coach. Certainly good enough to play out the string and see if he should be brought on as a permanent HC if it comes to that.

A good powerplay coach?

A good Dman coach who can teach Jultz to eat the puck once in a while and the others to make a good first pass?

Systems that are fast and are predicated on pressure?

Fast transition/zone exit game to play to the Oilers’ strength?

The best available candidate?

Man.

Is this the Oilers?

My expectations of MacT just went up a couple notches for the coming roster moves.

Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.

Go Oilers!!!!

*clap,clap*

60. spoiler says:

Woodguy,

It’s perfect. It really is. MacT is Opposite Steve.

Wonder who they want as a third assistant. Pearn has been linked to Toronto and Philly, but still has no offer.

Ramsay has coached for Roger Nielson (on two different teams), Jacques Martin, Claude Julien, John Tortorella, and Scotty Bowman briefly. That’s some serious mentorship there, that is. This guy will know an NHL head coach when he sees one.

I wonder if Ramsay was MacT’s choice or Eakins’?

61. Andy P says:

cmcousine:
    So, who do we fire next year if the team craps the bed? Eakins?

yup!

62. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris: Damned funny twitter thread there.

LT’s grad photo, huh? Nice.

I agree. This would be the optimal scenario, but I’m afraid the ship may have already sailed on the Oil retaining Nelson when they passed him over for Eakins.

Suspect you’ll either see Laxdal replace Nelson in OKC should the latter get an offer, or Laxdal as a potential Oiler asst coach candidate should Nelson remain in OKC.

Nelson’s already been an assist coach in the NHL, so it would seem he took one step back (HC in the A) with the intention of taking two steps forward (HC in NHL). Though you could certainly make a compelling argument that taking an assistant position with the Oil is a smart move if you have HC aspirations. The team falters out of the gates and the knives come out for Dallas….?

Anyhoo, massive digression. Really happy to hear about the Ramsay hire. Like the combo of fiery motivator w/cerebral systems guy. Kind of reminscent of Slats/Muckler.

Isn’t Ramsay from the Roger Neilson coaching tree? That’s the equivalent of the Bill Walsh tree in the NFL. Gold standard.

63. nycoil says:

Just got out of the water to see this great news. Nice choice by Eakins. Totally OK with the moving Bucky away but still “in the organization.” Not like Quinn did a lot after being moved aside.

Still optimistic about next year’s outlook and this certainly helps matters. Working on beer number two right now!

64. vinotintazo says:

Bag of Pucks,

Ramsay also was a Head Coach recently, so hes talking a step back?
    I’d say probably, but still took the job.

I’d take assitant coach on any NHL team over AHL headcoach.
    I’m sure Nelson would too.

65. Bag of Pucks says:

vinotintazo:
    Bag of Pucks,

Ramsay also was a Head Coach recently, so hes talking a step back?
    I’d say probably, but still took the job.

I’d take assitant coach on any NHL team over AHL headcoach.
    I’m sure Nelson would too.

Really boils down to the individual person. With Nelson, the verbal after the Eakins hire was not particularly encouraging. That’s mainly what I’m basing this on. As I said, it would be the optimal scenario if Nelson took the assistant post so we can always hope.

And yes, in some ways Ramsay has taken a step back. But at sometime you have to weigh the value of sure employment as an assistant vs uncertain employment as an HC. This is what’s known as the Ted Nolan paradox ; )

66. haters says:

Let’s not go crazy, it’s an asst coach not a player, if the room won’t listen to him he’s as useful as a new garbage can. He was looking for work so someone else wasn’t convinced he was a good fit for a coach, namely the worst team in the league at that.
    Let’s take second to look at why he won’t be back next year with the panthers and go from there, hockey changes so much year to year, I don’t care about what happened 5 years back, give me his story from last year.

Legit pessimism no ? Or should I be getting drunk too ?

67. Bruce McCurdy says:

A terrific hire by the Oilers. Exactly what the doctor ordered, a highly-accomplished, uber-experienced but non-threatening assistant coach. Ramsay’s 63, he’s had 3 kicks at the can as a head man and numerous others filling in various roles in whatever capacity. He’s a career coach, a consummate professional.

Reminds me a bit of Tom Renney for his capacity to adapt to different situations; thinking back, even as Renney ultimately did get Pat Quinn’s job, I never got the slightest sense that he was angling for it or was anything but supportive and appropriate as an assistant. Expect the same from Craig Ramsay and you’ll be safe.

This guy was a wonderful player, I mentioned in my post this afternoon that I consider him worthy of HHoF consideration. Let’s just say if he’d been a Leaf or a Hab or had the good fortune to play on a dynasty there’d be way more buzz about him than there is. Great two-way player, just never got much of a sniff on that Sabres PP so never really padded his (still excellent) stats. Scored more shorties (27) than powerplay goals (17) in his career, which gives a pretty good hint as to his role at even strength as well. Defence first, against the toughs, with enough offence to be more than a neutralizer. His career +328 is 22nd best all time; 18 of the guys ahead of him are in the Hall, and one who isn’t is Nick Lidstrom, so make it 19. It’s an elite list.

Ramsay was a brilliant penalty killer, on a first-unit pair with long-time linemate Don Luce that was renowned as one of the best PK duos in the game. Those two along with Danny Gare combined to make an topnotch second line behind the more famous French Connection. There were issues with other aspects of the team, including goaltending, but as Lowetide is my witness that second line was just outstanding, year in and year out. Played the 200-foot game to a T.

Anyways, I’m rambling again. Also tickled pink. This is a good day.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I enjoy a good McCurdy ramble, myself.

69. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy,

This reads like the subtitle to LT’s yelling “YAHOO!” at the top of his lungs.

Thanks for the perspective and background. I’m encouraged by this hire in terms of what it implies about evaluative processes and problem solving behind the veil of Oilers management.

70. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris:
    Bruce McCurdy,

This reads like the subtitle to LT’s yelling “YAHOO!” at the top of his lungs.

Reads more like Book One than a subtitle, but yeah. Or should I say, YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!

71. bigbadbruin24 says:

Nice photo…just sayin.

bigbadbruin24:
    Nice photo…just sayin.

73. delooper says:

Nice move Oilers. Why this didn’t happen two years ago, I don’t know….

Looking forward to watching LA strangle the light out of New York’s eyes tomorrow night.

74. Deadman Waiting says:

I never for a minute doubted MacT when he said it was Eakins’ decision. It honestly surprised me to return here and see so many voices taking a different view.

Maybe I feel that way because I inhabit a strange world where’s there’s a lower coefficient of body language than in some walks of life. It struck me as possible for both statements to be true at the same time: that it was indeed Eakins’ call, and that MacT would be happiest if that call turned out to be retaining the existing personnel who MacT liked and respected.

Yes, he was tipping his hand that he personally favoured keeping it all in the family, and I think Eakins registered his view, but I never had the least doubt that Eakins would up-end the donut cart on the least conviction that it needed doing. In fact, I think it would have been extraordinarily dim for MacT to stand in front of a public microphone and say “this is Eakins’s final decision” and then to expect Eakins to sit back and parse the tea leaves concerning side sentiments. Once you tell Eakins that something is his decision, you wrest it back out of his cold, dead fingers or I have my man figured wrong.

Steven Pinker has written a new book on the classic prose style. This paragraph comes from the website of Mark Turner and Francis-Noël Thomas, who did much to innovate the teaching of this form:

But in each class there are a couple of students who are frozen by proscription (“don’t write about x; don’t begin with y”) and who have a knack for learning activities at a swoop. Their debilities and abilities are inseparable. To such a student, we say, aside, “See that bicyclist? Here’s a bicycle; get on it and ride.”

Eakins to a T: his abilities and debilities are inseparable. Weakness: He doesn’t parse tea leaves. Strength: He doesn’t parse tea leaves.

Concerning the coefficient of body language, I would never say in a personal relationship “this is your decision” and not mean it 100% literally, no matter what additional sauce I pour on top. I don’t think that’s incompatible with also indicating which decision will be received more gracefully and which decision with more friction. I think it’s better that way. Most of the time mollification is a false step. Even when I anticipate that a decision will go badly, I am able to hold this view while genuinely hoping for the sake of the other party that it goes well (without subconsciously trying to sabotage it so far as I can tell), even if that leaves me holding the short straw at the end of the day. Fully embracing the autonomy of others is a harsh mistress: either one’s own judgement goes to school, or you eat a lot of straw soup. One also earns respect by taking some lumps, though it’s a slow process.

As far as this situation goes, we only had indirect evidence to lay blame at the feet of the existing assistant coaches. There’s so much assistant coaches don’t control. It might trace back, or it might not. Only insiders can reach an informed judgement. Firing people for external optics might please people externally, but word also gets around inside the grape vine that the organization bends to the breeze. Then the best people don’t want to come to your organization to fill those positions, because no supremely competent person enjoys being held accountable to the sacrifice of the month club.

I’m thrilled Eakins did decide it was time for fresh blood. It’s a superb move to bring in guy with this track record. RNH were the first three letters than went through my head. Here’s hoping Ramsay knows how to perform a Vulcan mind-meld with that receptive and able bobble-head cranium.

75. KSC10032 says:

Not to be a pee-pants, but there is one — hopefully minor — question mark.

Ramsay has had serious health issues in the past (severe ulcers IIRC). I presume this has been successfully addressed.

Like LT and Bruce, I am old enough to remember Ramsay as a player. His line in BUF, with Luce and Gare, was truly extraordinary, years ahead of their time. A team with two lines like that would rival the great dynasty teams of the post expansion era.

76. bigbadbruin24 says:

Lowetide: Loved O’Reilly when I was a kid. I don’t think he scored more than 10 goals as a rookie, but he kept getting better in the offensive zone while also being a very dangerous hitter. Crazy love-in with Boston, JUST missed the Stanley team in 1972 iirc

He has always been my favourite. Tons of heart, willing to put his nose where it didn’t belong, hit like a freight train and could put the puck in the net too. When most people think of him they automatically picture him dropping the gloves and rightfully so but what they don’t realize is that he made the all star team as well. Clone him and put three of them on your roster and you would be quite happy, lol.

77. Andy P says:

This is really good news:
    1) Bucky’s no longer there to stifle our offensive players. More so than him proving beyond reasonable doubt that he was not up to the role at this time, I also believe, from comments he is reported to have made to posters on ON, that he was an undermining influence to at least Eakins, perhaps Renney and Krueger as well. That’s a death knell to the success of any organization and as such I wish him well whatever he does, as long as he is working on a team of 1.

2) We’ve replaced another Assistant coach that also didn’t work out as planned with an excellent D Assistant. Really good.

The jury’s still out though on Bucky’s replacement. Even Acton would be better than Bucky but I’m hoping that MacT is aiming higher than that.

78. jp says:

Biggest move of the offseason? Quite possibly. And I don’t mean that in a bad way.

Deadman Waiting,

Very nice DMW.

79. gcw_rocks says:

I have top give Eakins credit for stepping up here and making the tough call. I am very pleased and of out means Smith is gone as well, then it’s a very good day.

I am not going to give MacT much credit here based on the year end presser. It was an obvious call and he didn’t make it.

What is Ramsey’s record with the powerplay? I don’t think of him when I think offence. I was hoping for Ramsey for defence and PK, and Oates for the PP.

80. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

TYS.

MacTs confidence in that staff presser was was a tell.

(Katz: MacT is not going anywhere)