TAYLOR HALL APPRECIATION DAY

Taylor Hall is a brilliant hockey player, an impact NHLer with an insane resume and a super nova future. At 21, he enjoyed a breakout season in the NHL, finishing ninth in scoring and second in the Western Conference in total points. At 22, he finished in a tie for sixth overall in points, and was the No. 1 point-getter in the entire league among LW’s.

NHL 2013-14 TOP SCORING LEFT WINGERS

hall overall points

Number 1 overall. This is via NHL.com, so if you’re missing someone they’re probably listed as RW’s on their website. In your mind’s eye, imagine the ages of the men behind Hall on this list. VERY FEW contemporaries, even fewer men who play for horrible teams. And look at the assist total. Taylor Hall is a complete offensive player, an absolute killer.

NHL 2013-14 TOP EVEN-STRENGTH SCORING LEFT WINGERS

hall even points

Hall widens the lead here, as he’s beyond the rest by five points despite playing six or seven fewer games. This is a brilliant even-strength performer, a man who gets the puck on his stick less often because of the men sending it in his direction. A man who was snubbed last season by the PHWA and by the Olympic team because he plays for a wayward franchise that can’t get out of its own way, and Hall wears their mediocrity by association.

I suspect Hall will spend another summer snubbed, the PHWA deciding to reward Jamie Benn or Sid Crosby and passing over the league’s best left winger.

I pray baby Jesus that Taylor Hall is as a committed to the Oilers as he seems, that he doesn’t tire of the burden placed upon him by an addled crew and management that spends each summer rebuilding the perfect beast. God bless you, Taylor Hall. They don’t deserve you, and that’s for sure.

40 Responses to "TAYLOR HALL APPRECIATION DAY"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Taylor Hall is ready now.

2. Dicky94 says:

This is why I believe we have to start winning games now before Hall becomes tired of losing . Starting to hear and read that Seabrook and Sharpe may be traded this summer. Would you move this years first pick to bring one of those guys in.

3. Lloyd B. says:

Agree with the post completely. If he makes as big a leap this year as he did last year in the defensive end he’ll also become the best left wing in the game. Not just on offence. When Yak watches the success Hall has and he copies it…..Watch out!!

4. carefreephil says:

Have the Oilers ever asked Taylor Hall how he would improve the team? He’s on the ice, he would know where the breakdowns are. We need to really start making this his team and get him involved with influencing some of the personnel decisions.

5. Younger Oil says:

I dread to think of this, but if Hall does get fed up with losing and demands a trade, I wonder what the return for him would be. We’d be sure to lose the trade, but I wonder how other GM’s value him.

6. commonfan14 says:

Younger Oil,

I don’t know, lots of people think Howson won the Rick Nash trade.

Hall is younger and on a better value contract.

7. Younger Oil says:

commonfan14:
    Younger Oil,

I don’t know, lots of people think Howson won the Rick Nash trade.

Hall is younger and on a better value contract.

Oh, I think CBJ absolutely fleeced NYR on that trade, even before Nash trailed off! The thing with Hall is, he seems like he is very underrated by the league, while Nash was somewhat overrated (while still a very good player).

8. Caramel Obvious says:

What the Nash example shows is that scorers peak earlier than we think. Hall isn’t likely to be any better than he is right now. Which returns us to Romulus’ point. The time is now, though I want Byfuglien or Couturier (or both).

9. spud says:

I hope the Oilers are a playoff team soon, or Hall will be gone before the new arena opens. How much disappointment can he take?

10. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: And… that’s why you stop adding futures, trade for Ehrhoff and Kulkov. Sign Grabo and Kulemin. Sign Moss and move on.Taylor Hall is ready now.

Yessiree. Have to make moves now.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Grabovski wants to stay in Washington. Liked the team and they liked him. But there’s a different regime running the show now, so you never know. Still I would put the chances of him going elsewhere at less than 50%.

Who is coaching seems to make a big difference to Grabovski. He really feels burned by the whole Carlyle episode from what I have read. And he signed with the Caps because of Oates. Not sure how he feels about Trotz—or about Eakins during the time they were both in the Leaf organization.

Sounds like Kulemin wants to go wherever Grabo goes. Again, have no idea of his feelings on Eakins. But that surely will have a big effect on the two former teammates signing here or not.

And the verbal coming from the TV pundits makes it sound like Stastny will re-sign in Colorado too. But they need a cap number to move forward.

I am not liking the way things are looking for MacT. It’s like he’s on the tee box of a par 4 with 275 yards of water ahead, a sharp dogleg left, and then the green is at the top of a towering volcanic plug.

Hopefully Eakins was like a second father to Grabo in Toronto.

11. Ice Sage says:

The best news this year is that #4 stayed healthy.
    Some more attention to play without the puck and he’ll be our Iginla for a decade, ‘C’ included.

When was the last 100 point season for an Oiler?

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

I don’t know where you get this “Hall belongs on the All-Star team” nonsense, LT. As LW’s go, he’s clearly behind Doughty and Lundqvist.

spoiler: The big concerns for me are:

1. MacT’s postseason presser that sounded nothing like the confident MacT
    2. this ridiculous MAtt Greene/Derek Engelland chatter
    3. The rumblings about Schultz’ contract
    4. The LACK of anything Petry
    5. “If we have to go young, we’ll go young”
    6. Nail’s future

14. Racki says:

Taylor Hall Shmaylor Hall. He doesn’t know anything about defence!

/ramblingoldmanhockeyplayermode

Seriously.. He’ll be on all Star teams and Canadian Olympic teams in a hurry.

15. spoiler says:

Lowetide: spoiler: The big concerns for me are:
    1. MacT’s postseason presser that sounded nothing like the confident MacT
    2. this ridiculous MAtt Greene/Derek Engelland chatter
    3. The rumblings about Schultz’ contract
    4. The LACK of anything Petry
    5. “If we have to go young, we’ll go young”
    6. Nail’s future

And those are some pretty legit concerns.

I wouldn’t be upset at Greene if he signs a value contract. Hell he is playing bottom pairing in the Stanley Cup Finals, so he’s not utterly useless. But MacT can’t think that’s anything more than a baby step forward (over a Fraser).

Engelland only makes sense if he’s replacing Gazdic, but then we have the Bruins on record saying that fighting is disappearing in the league and will probably go without a pugilistic sort next year (I believe the question from the press was about re-signing Thornton). So really no sense at all.

I think Petry and Yak are in play and that scares the living daylights out of me. Not that every player shouldn’t be for the right price, but I have no confidence at all that we will get that right price.

16. Henry says:

Caramel Obvious:
    What the Nash example shows is that scorers peak earlier than we think.Hall isn’t likely to be any better than he is right now.Which returns us to Romulus’ point.The time is now, though I want Byfuglien or Couturier (or both).

Even if Taylor Hall doesn’t improve his own offensive ability, as the Oilers improve (I know) he should add 20 points to his total. 10+ on the powerplay.

17. spoiler says:

Ice Sage: The best news this year is that #4 stayed healthy.

He did?

18. spoiler says:

Hey LT, my reply to you got sent to the sandbox. I didn’t even mention He Who Shall Not Be Named, lol. But if you could free it from limbo please, that would be appreciated.

19. Henry says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Fishler and Trautwig are still voting for John LeClair.

spoiler:
    Hey LT, my reply to you got sent to the sandbox. I didn’t even mention He Who Shall Not Be Named, lol.But if you could free it from limbo please, that would be appreciated.

sorry about that. Glitch for sure, no one is in hell currently.

21. spoiler says:

Lowetide: sorry about that. Glitch for sure, no one is in hell currently.

Thanks, bro!

22. spoiler says:

The rest of the Rutherford Analytics quote:

Rutherford: “I don’t think we’re up to speed here on the use of analytics.” Will use them to check opinions, not make final decisions.

Then from MIrtle:

The interesting thing about Rutherford talking about the Penguins misuse of analytics is they had a company they were working with.

Penguins were using shot quality type analytics, which were controversial.

23. Clay says:

Ice Sage:
    The best news this year is that #4 stayed healthy.

Taylor Hall’s knee has a problem with this statement.

24. rickithebear says:

Ice Sage:
    The best news this year is that #4 stayed healthy.

When was the last 100 point season for an Oiler?

Hall and draisatl

25. Jon K says:

I remember before Hall had yet played a game for the Oil I commented here that he had a lot of maturing on and off the ice before he was a leader for the team.

I think we can say that we have seen quite a bit of that maturity coming through in his on-ice performance, especially last season under Eakins, something he doesn’t receive much credit for.

Hall will never be a favorite of mine on the basis of his personality, but there’s no denying he’s a sublime talent and an incredible player. In the end, that’s all that should matter for those interested in seeing the Oilers win games.

Possibly the best player for the Oilers since Weight? Better?

EDIT: I also wanted to comment that, regrettably, the way that Hall comes across to people might have something to do with his snubs for representing Canada and by the PHWA. His difficulties with Lindy Ruff come to mind, and have been referenced by Stauffer as a reason that “hockey circles” view Hall as a young man still in need of some maturity.

26. oliveoilers says:

Caramel Obvious:

No, the Nash example shows us the impact a coach (torts) can have on a player. That Torts was able to turn Nash into the player he is today does not bode well for us. I get the horrible feeling that Eakins looks at Nash and says to Hall “That’s what we want from you.” A former #1 OV who was drafted by a horrible team (then), still was able to light it up, traded to a prestige original 6 team in arguably the biggest Hockey market, and Torts tells him not to bring his shooting stick and to stuff some extra Sears catalogues down his socks. You can’t just put a hat on it and call it a thing. It’s a rare player indeed that can change everything about their game, and is willing to do so after being so successful as another type of player.

27. spoiler says:

Jon K: Possibly the best player for the Oilers since Weight? Better?

Pronger? Best forward I will give you though.

28. Jon K says:

spoiler,

I guess I should have specified “forward”, not player. My bad.

29. commonfan14 says:

Friday afternoon tought experiment that I want no part of in reality:

If the Oil were to decide that yes they blew it when they started the rebuild by not building from the back and up the middle, what kind of options are there for a full reset?

Trade Hall to the Panthers for the #1 pick plus?

Could Hall and Eberle together get the pick and Barkov plus?

Then you could pick Eckblad and Draze, send both of them back to Junior and Barkov to the AHL (or wherever it is he can go if not there), and the crappy team left over allows them to pick up McDavid or Eichel next Spring.

You really could keep playing this rebuild game forever until you get it right.

If you don’t mind rioting in the streets, that is.

Any better targets than the Panthers?

30. spoiler says:

Jon K: I guess I should have specified “forward”, not player. My bad.

I was pretty sure that’s what you meant.

31. Andy P says:

The people that have succeeded on this team have done so in spite of sub-standard coaching. Putting an experienced, successful team of veteran coaches in place will allow the existing roster to turn it up two notches, play as a team, and make it less difficult to attract quality ufa’s.

if they don’t fix this soon then I would think Hall would likely be among the next group of players wanting out.

32. Rondo says:

LT,

Are the Oilers looking at this player free agent Jiri Sekac , Bob McKenzie mentioned him 6’2 192 left-winger Czech 22 yrs old.

33. Caramel Obvious says:

oliveoilers,

That is a ridiculous theory. Coaches can’t make players, especially established players, lose any of their ability. He didn’t make him any slower. And even if he somehow had such a magical, Kryptonite like ability, how does he make it work from a continent away?

34. WeirsBeard says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Taylor Hall is ready now.

They’ve got the MAN. Give him some help, win games. Seems simple doesn’t it?

Oh, Gords, I hope they try to add pieces this year.

35. spoiler says:

Can you imagine if Taylor Hall played in Toronto? And then he got snubbed…? There would be rioting in the streets, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together…mass hysteria!

After these past two seasons, TSN would have worshipped him into a demi-god by now.

36. WeirsBeard says:

spoiler: The big concerns for me are:

1. MacT’s postseason presser that sounded nothing like the confident MacT
    2. this ridiculous MAtt Greene/Derek Engelland chatter
    3. The rumblings about Schultz’ contract
    4. The LACK of anything Petry
    5. “If we have to go young, we’ll go young”
    6. Nail’s future

MacT was a coach, surely he remembers the indignity of going to a gun fight with only a knife. I just can’t see him saddling Eakins with an incomplete roster, even if it isnt loaded for bear (or California).

37. Younger Oil says:

Rondo:
    LT,

Are the Oilers looking at this playerfree agent Jiri Sekac, Bob McKenzie mentioned him 6’2192 left-winger Czech 22 yrs old.

38. Ribs says:

Younger Oil: He said that he had “at least 12 firm max entry level deal offers” from NHL teams, I would be very surprised if the Oilers weren’t one of them! The kid looks good, hopefully we have a shot.

SNIPER! lol

39. OilClog says:

Halls stat line… Wow.

This is what you show free agents. Taylor Freaking Hall.

He’s only just beginning, ridiculous.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nice find on the video!

missed that yesterday when I saw that BM bit and scrambled to get a post up. I’ve added it to my post.

thanks!!