THERE WILL BE BLOOD

In order to know where we’re going, it’s important to remember where we’ve been. The 2013 summer began with legit promise—new GM with fresh verbal, maturing 2010 cluster, our man Nail ending the season with a bang, and of course, tomorrow just around the corner.

A year later, it’s London after the blitz. It’s a hard candy Christmas. It’s turn this crazy bird around, should not have got on this flight tonight.

I wonder if Craig MacTavish believes the kids fooled him. I suspect the reason he hired a hardass like Eakins is he felt discipline and single-minded purpose was an issue. Either way, it was a disaster and the Ramsay hire suggests to me coach and manager want to create a more productive atmosphere. It won’t be available to everyone from last season though—MacT has to build a bridge for these kids, and some of those same kids are going to pay for that bridge with new addresses this summer.

The untouchables: Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Schultz. I don’t even agree with the list, but here we go.

THINGS I THINK I THINK

First, I have no affiliation with anyone involved or employed with the Edmonton Oilers. My insider stuff usually comes from roofers who worked on Katz’ Dad’s place in the 1960s, and they think Mike Babcock is coming here. I don’t write those things on this blog.

The following comes from years of observing this club, assuming the Oilers cannot for the life of them keep a secret, and reason. They are not rumors.

We could see the following:

• Nail Yakupov is or will be available in a ‘impact prospect re-set’ should the opportunity arise. Nail for NY Islanders No. 5 overall, as an example.
  • Sam Gagner traded. If MacT is going to build up the middle, moving 89 out of there is job 1. After that, a move to wing is possible, but unlikely unless David Perron is vital to a huge deal.
  • No. 3 overall available for the right price. Oilers would trade back, not out, of top 10 overall.
  • Jeff Petry is in that exact spot where Oiler draft picks begin to get paid. Many get the bowling pin.
  • Martin Marincin is the young defenseman most vulnerable.
  • The Pinizzotto contract may end up being a bigger deal than we thought at the time.
  • Fewer Grebeshkov-style bets—”hey, he was good 5 years ago and says he’ll get in shape”—a more focused summer ahead.
  • Leon Draisaitl.
  • Free agency: Mark Spector had a killer article up the other day, based on his and MacT’s verbal I would say the club might go hard after a center (Grabovski, Legwand) and a helpful winger (Kulemin, Winnik, Moss).

MACT’S SUMMER 2014 LIST

1. A veteran top pairing defenseman. A real man, big time EV minutes and a history of successful sorties.
  2. A 2line C with experience and the ability to play a two-way game. This is the other vital piece.
  3. A legit two-way winger who can score 12-15 goals. The Pisani role. Mentor, calms the waters.
  4. Find a way to get value, or make use of, Sam Gagner. This does not include time at center.
  5. Improve the bottom 6F’s.
  6. Retain as much of the young cluster as possible, understanding that the player who represents #1 on this list might cost a young D who will one day fill that role.
  7. Get Petry signed long term.
  8. Sign Schultz but DO NOT break the bank.

I think we’re going to see a monster deal for a defenseman, and significant additions up front by this time next month. The list this season is shorter, but the cost in dollars and assets will be dear. I think we’re going to see bridge additions—Legwand/Grabovski and Moss/Kulemin—along with an established top 4 defender like Dion Phaneuf, Braydon Coburn or Dustin Byfuglien—coming to Edmonton in the next month.

I’ve read many voicing the opinion that MacT can’t accomplish all of this in one summer. I’d suggest the list is much smaller this year, and it’s extremely important he deliver a viable option on defense, center and wing. Based on the state of the team, and the anger in the marketplace, he doesn’t have any choice I can see.

Making this a very dangerous summer. There will be blood.

81 Responses to "THERE WILL BE BLOOD"

1. WeirsBeard says:

Oddly, I do not feel too worried. Two forward additions by free agency that shouldn’t break the bank (I’d take Grabovski and Kulimen from your picks), trade 89 and pieces for impact defender, and draft a forward with the pick. Trying to do more would be folly, unless Philly goes crazy again this summer.

I want MacT coach style additions. Solid players, without the flash, or the price tag that goes with it.

2. WeirsBeard says:

LT,
    Do you really think they want to get rid of Yak? Or is this smoke from all the old guard tut-tutting from this past year.

What is so terrible that he would need a reset? The guy cares, we know that much. He left his home at a young age to move to Canada to prove himself. He has talent, and should be a match with the skill set of the other young forwards.

For me, the concern is around D and C. If you’re going to acquire a legit top pairing defenseman, the other team is going to want a defender of their own plus a sweetener. So, that might be Petry and something, or Marincin and something, but it’s something.

You’re not going to get that player for nothing. Same with center.

4. Suntory Hanzo says:

I read this blog multiple times a day and the coolness factor just went supernova with DDL RHERE will Be Blood.

Best actor of this or any generation says I. And so I tell all my theatre and film students. Unfortunate how few people know his work.

WeirsBeard:
    LT,

I don’t think they’ll trade him for nothing, but as mentioned above a re-set that gives them another impact player? Yes. I think they would do it.

Suntory Hanzo:

First time I saw this movie, couldn’t sleep afterward. It just stayed with me. :-)

7. WeirsBeard says:

For me, the concern is around D and C. If you’re going to acquire a legit top pairing defenseman, the other team is going to wanta defender of their own plus a sweetener. So, that might be Petry and something, or Marincin and something, but it’s something.

You’re not going to get that player for nothing. Same with center.

Agreed the cost will be there for the defender. I think if it’s reasonable, they’ve got to do it, right? They may lose years of contract control in switching players, but the Oil have to start winning some games here. Hall must want to.

WeirsBeard: Up front though, aren’t they looking for more leather than bat? That is usually cheaper.

I think there’s a chance the C might just be money cost, Grabovski or Legwand as UFA.

9. One-Timer says:

Lowetide: First time I saw this movie, couldn’t sleep afterward. It just stayed with me.

So if I understand the bowling pin correctly, Petry is the player going away that you would regret the most?

LOVE that movie, and have to agree with Hanzo about DDL. I think the reason he’s not more reknowned is that most people seeing this actor in two different films would not realize it’s the same person! There is no more versatile actor alive. That Lincoln flick had some storytelling problems, but it was like seeing lost footage of the actual Abe on screen.

10. raventalon40 says:

Doesn’t Gagner have a no movement clause in his second year of the contract?

11. striatic says:

raventalon40,

He can waive it.

The implication is that he would.

1. Yes on bowling pin, that’s exactly it.
    2. Gagner NTC kicks in July 1.

13. KSC10032 says:

We all need to understand one very basic thing here,…

In business circles its called — “falling in love with the inventory”. And — IMO — the over-reluctance, by some on this forum, to look at trading Petry or Yakupov or Marincin, etc. falls precisely into that category of thinking.

The Oiler have finished 24th or lower for how long now — five seasons? They can do so again without anyone that’s on the current roster.

While trading Yakupov, Schultz, et, al — for the sake of trading them — is not necessarily an intelligent objective — in and of itself — you have to give something to get something. And that includes, or should include, anyone currently under contract, even Hall.

Otherwise, the best you can expect is minor improvement, based on some of the kids showing incremental improvement.

14. Big Dan says:

Based on his end of season interview, MacT does not expect to do much except wait for the kids to develop with proper coaching (FINALLY) and add a few pieces.

Really, this summer will be pretty it’s not a big deal. Since it doesn’t sound like Grabo is coming, I think the easiest thing to do is flip him for a Josh Bailey or sign somebody like Jussi Jokinen. There’s no buzz about a long-term contract like M.Richards or Lecavalier, so MacT doesn’t intend on picking up any bad contracts.

Pick up a couple experienced, intelligent MacT-like guys like Winnik/Moss who can play through the lineup as need be. The only guys I anticipate that won’t be able to play beyond the 3rd/4th line are Hendricks and Engelland (I’m assuming he replaces Gazdic).

He’ll probably trade for a veteran D and pick one up as a FA. We have four that are on the rise that aren’t going anywhere (Schultz, Petry, Marincin, and Klefbom). I wouldn’t worry about Petry not being re-signed; the precedent of trading RFA’s was Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini. MacT is a clean slate.

15. Mesmer says:

Isn’t “impact prospect reset” a fancy way of saying “giving up on?” Giving up on Yakupov this early would be a bad indicator that his team hasn’t learned from their past mistakes of being too impatient with players. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t Yak eligible to play in Juniors last year? Even if he wasn’t, I think we forget sometimes just how young some of these players are.

Then again, I sometimes believe too much of what my eyes tell me. The first time I saw Daniel Day Lewis was in the incredible “My Left Foot.” The next time I saw him was when he went to accept his Academy Award for his role in the film. I remember being absolutely shocked when the strapping man that was heading to the stage was not readying the wheelchair for DDL to come to the stage, nor was he accepting the award for him. As he gave his eloquent acceptance speech I just stood there dumbfounded at the new knowledge that Danial Day Lewis was not a severely handicapped man playing a similar role on screen, but that he was as healthy and talented actor as I would ever encounter.

16. John Chambers says:

Boy, if I could play fantasy GM I’d make the following a priority

1) a snarly defenseman like a modern-day Derian Hatcher
    2) acquiring that Stafford boy out of Buffalo because it’s be a great story to re-unite him in the locker room with his dad
    3) a veteran centre like Michael Hadzus in his current vintage who can settle the youngsters down in the dressing room. I mean, this guy centred a line with Pat Kane this past season FFS.

Spector would anoint me GM if the year before the puck even dropped, bonus points given for dealing Yakupov to Philly for Scott Hartnell.

Because if I take my straw and put it in your glass and drink it up, I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

17. Cameron says:

LT:Find a way to get value, or make use of, Sam Gagner. This does not include time at center.

Part of the problem with this suggestion is that the one team who should be most interested in a skill pivot of his age and talent is…Edmonton.

It’s the reverse ‘NY, NY’, if he can’t make it there (Edm), he isn’t going to make it anywhere – and likely everybody knows it.

If nobody else wants to pay to acquire him, would the Oilers consider buying him out?

18. striatic says:

I think trading David Perron this summer is the right move.

David Perron is currently my favourite Oiler and by far the best value for his contract. You can make an argument he was the second best Edmonton Oiler last season.

Given the length of Perron’s contract, he isn’t going to be here during much of any contention window, maybe a season at most.

Perron’s the best “sell high” opportunity on the team. He’s a consistent player and last season was not out of character for the him, and if retained he would continue producing at roughly the same level. Nonetheless, moving him this summer capitalizes on the value of his contract.

These are the contracts I would be looking at as potential returns for David Perron:

Depending on the return you might need to add players going one way or the other, but there are plenty of players on this list that we can project as being surefire top 4 D in the next few years, and with the potential to be even better than that. Losing a couple seasons of David Perron is worth that long term stability on defence.

19. striatic says:

Specifically the players i would be most interested in are guys like Jared Spurgeon, Hampus Lindholm, Radko Gudas, Olli Maata, Patrick Wiercioch and Morgan Reilly.

Guys like Seth Jones and Ryan Murray would also be of interest but I think it is unlikely they are moved.

20. raventalon40 says:

John Chambers:
    Boy, if I could play fantasy GM I’d make the following a priority

1) a snarly defenseman like a modern-day Derian Hatcher

Although Scott Hartnell is the type of player we need, that woud be a terrible trade for the Oilers. Value for value – or why trade at all?

21. Zangetsu says:

Just spitballing here, but we still have one compliance buyout right? Why don’t we do a trade buyout for a pick.

Zangetsu:

We have both, I believe.

One thing that isn’t getting much play anywhere is how much cap space the Oilers have.

Right now they have 16 players signed with almost $26.5MM left to spend.

Lets assume Jultz gets $5MM, Petry gets $4MM, and Gazdic gets $750K to clear up the RFAs.

That’s 19 players and 16.75MM left to spend.

That’s before you ship Goneyay out for picks.

If you do that its back to $21.55MM and 18 players signed.

EDM can be a major player in FA if they pick their targets carefully.

Grabbo $5MM x3 years
    Kulimen $4MM x 3 years
    Stralman $4.5MM x 5 years

That’s 21 players with $8MM left to spend and the cap going up to $75MM in 15/16 when the Rogers deal kicks in.

Grabbo and Kulimen want to go somewhere together and very few teams can offer good contracts for 3 years like EDM can.

Stralman would be a tougher get, which is why I think they need to go as high as $4.5MM x 5.

You still have lots of cap left to take Coburn off PHI if you really want to and sign a WInnick/Moss

Katzman said he’d spend to the cap if needed and he did in the Glory Year of Khabby when it all when into the shitter.

He hasn’t had a reason to spend to the cap until now, and he’s in danger of losing the kids if they don’t see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hall- RNH-Eberle
    Perron-Grabbo-Yak
    Lander-Arco-Kulimen
    Moss-Gordon-Hendricks
    Gazdik

Coburn-Stralman
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Jultz
    Klef

Scrivens
    Fasth

You can give Jultz his fill of Ozone starts and play PP1 and he’ll get 20 min/night. Just like Yandle did for 5 years.

That line up has a shot at the playoffs

I don’t know what you give up for Coburn, but I don’t give up either Marincin or Klef, which is why they are both on the list.

24. fifthcartel says:

Belanger? Or was that a regular buyout?

25. Zangetsu says:

Belanger

26. jb says:

How can you think Yakupov would be dealt for a 5th overall pick?

Belanger was just regular, no?

28. spoiler says:

Lowetide: We have both, I believe.

We used one on Belanger.

My mistake, I read earlier today they had both, but Belanger was in fact a compliance buyout

30. One-Timer says:

KSC10032,

Some posters here might be reluctant to trade away players like Petry, but the Oilers sure aren’t. And Oiler fans are typically worse. They look at our best D-man (Petry), then they look at Weber or Suter, and reflexively yell “PETRY SUX!”

Hold on there, Average Oiler Fan. Petry does not suck. The problem is that right now he should be a 2nd pairing D at the NHL level. Don’t get rid of him – find someone to play ahead of him so he can show you what a quality 3D/4D looks like.

Problem is, every trade proposal here makes another hole. I ask again: What is that McDavid lotto ticket worth? (…with one or two mid-level D prospects…)

31. One-Timer says:

jb:
    How can you think Yakupov would be dealt for a 5th overall pick?

Wait – which way does your disbelief lean on this?

32. raventalon40 says:

One-Timer: Wait – which way does your disbelief lean on this?

haha I was wondering the same thing. Even the context didn’t help me understand

33. Zangetsu says:

Or how about a gagner and 3 for Grigorenko and 2?

34. rickithebear says:

Scott Hartnell 4.75M for 5 years 32 – 36 yr.
    13-14 11 EVG in 78 healthy games
    12-13 4 EVG in 32 Healthy games
    15 ECVG in 110 healthy games.

Sam Gagner 4.8M
    13-14 9 EVG in 58 healthy games
    12-13 10 EVg in 48 Healthy Games
    19 EVG in 106 healthy games

No F………. Way.

35. Bad Seed says:

After the Blackhawks were eliminated, rumours came out that Seabrook might be moved. Chicago needs to free up some cap space for the Kane & Toews so what about that? Or is he riding on Keith’s coattails?

36. PLUGGER says:

Sorry Guys., but , cut a long-term deal with Jultz-5MMx 8 years and trade hard for Coburh or equivalent. Ehroff maybe and this is a much more stable defense that can play in the Western Conference.

rickithebear:
    Scott Hartnell 4.75M for 5 years 32 – 36 yr.
    13-14 11 EVG in 78 healthy games
    12-13 4 EVG in 32 Healthy games
    15 ECVG in 110 healthy games.

Sam Gagner 4.8M

Coburn-Stralman
    Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Jultz
    Klef

Scrivens
    Fasth

You can give Jultz his fill of Ozone starts and play PP1 and he’ll get 20 min/night.Just like Yandle did for 5 years.

That line up has a shot at the playoffs

Totally agree, and would love to see this.

I think Coburn likely costs Nurse, or the 3rd in this scenario.

Maybe a trade down to Philly’s pick and throw in Musil.

I think Nurse is going nowhere. He’s MacT’s first draft pick, And Mac loves him.

Is this a good trade for us? Is it worth the asset we get at 3rd?

Would philli take less? I think with them hosting the draft that would be exactly what they would want.

39. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Woodguy:

Grabbo $5MM x3 years
    Kulimen $4MM x 3 years
    Stralman $4.5MM x 5 years

This would make an incredible offseason and is entirely possible.

Sign me up.

till_horcoff_is_coach: This would make an incredible offseason and is entirely possible.

Sign me up.

The best part of those moves: Oilers still have Gagner to trade for Josh Bailey or whomever.

41. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy:

Right now they have 16 players signed with almost $26.5MM left to spend.

Lets assume Jultz gets $5MM, Petry gets $4MM, and Gazdic gets $750Kto clear up the RFAs.

That’s 19 players and 16.75MM left to spend.

That’s before you ship Goneyay out for picks.

If you do that its back to $21.55MM and 18 players signed.

EDM can be a major player in FA if they pick their targets carefully.

Grabbo $5MM x3 years

Marincin-Petry
    Ference-Jultz
    Klef

Scrivens
    Fasth

That line up has a shot at the playoffs

This is what I’m seeing too. Money and cap space to burn. No huge whales in UFA this year to go full Hossa crazy over, but enough solid pickups that could really help the club. There are also a few clubs around the league that will have to shed someone of value due to being squeezed against the cap.

If they start out gangbusters, is the drink recipe for 14-15 “The Bowling Pin”?

42. rickithebear says:

One-Timer:
    KSC10032,

Some posters here might be reluctant to trade away players like Petry, but the Oilers sure aren’t.And Oiler fans are typically worse.They look at our best D-man (Petry), then they look at Weber or Suter, and reflexively yell “PETRY SUX!”

Hold on there, Average Oiler Fan.Petry does not suck.The problem is that right now he should be a 2nd pairing D at the NHL level.Don’t get rid of him – find someone to play ahead of him so he can show you what a quality 3D/4D looks like.

Problem is, every trade proposal here makes another hole.I ask again: What is that McDavid lotto ticket worth?(…with one or two mid-level D prospects…)

you win cups with Strong EVGA dmen that allow fro strong Goal differential.

Chicago 2010
    Campbell; Hjarlmasson;;Seasbrook; Sopel

Boston 2011
    Chara; : seidenberg; Boychuck; Ference; Mcquaid

LAK 2012
    Doughty; greene; Mitchell; Scuderi; Martinez

CHI 2013
    Oduya; Kieth; Hjarlmasson; Rozival

LAK
    Mitchell; Muzzin; Greene; Voyonov

These are the difference makers at even.

The fact Oduya; Boychuck; might be available
    Mitchell; Greene; are available and all 4 have been in top 20 playoff GD 2+ seasons of the last 5 cups.boychuck and greene 3 times.

The best EVGA Dmen in REG and Playoffs Bitches!

43. hags9k says:

Belanger was a bastard from a basket.

44. TheOtherJohn says:

Let’s try this:

sign Hainsey, Gilbert, to overpay 2 year contracts and sign Winnik, Moss to 3 yr contracts. In a bold move trade for Jared Staal. He’ll be costly. We’d have 2 3rd line wingers, 2 top 4 D on 2 yr bridge contracts and have an elite 2C to play against Toews, Backes, Thornton, Getzlaf and Kopitar.

Expect Staal would cost Schultz, Gagner and a swap in 2014 1sts We will not get one of the scoring C
    In the draft. We would, however, have a big 2C that the big boys in the WC are gonna hate playing against. If Stralman had not had such a superb playoff I’d sign him as a FA but he’ll be too expensive

Expect Oilers sign Schultz to $30m contract, Orpick to ridiculous $$, Greene to Ference $$, Handzus and try Gagner at RW. Oilers finish 21st & will declare another abysmal season as progress and a real success

Because…….Oilers

45. Oil Fan 99 says:

I appreciate we have high expectations for our hockey club and we want to hold mangers, coaches and players accountable. However I believe everyone is a little to hot on Yakupov. He was the first overall pick 2 years ago and it’s not like the Oilers went off the board when they selected him. If he was being drafted this year I believe he would be the top rated prospect this year.
    Now when the Oilers selected Yak I believed and still do that he would be traded down the road for other team needs. Problem is we have not travelled far enough down the road. He is the type of player that brings 2 or 3 NHL players back to your team. His numbers in junior suggested he could be a 40 goal guy in the NHL. His rookie year suggested the same thing.
    He has taken nothing but heat since arriving in Edmonton. Over hyped, over celebrated, over cocky… The people that are concerned with Yak should be equally concerned with Nuge. Nuge has had 2 disappointing seasons relative to first overall picks. Yet Nuge is untouchable. I believe in both. Management must find a way to make this experiment work. The payoff will be worth it.

46. One-Timer says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Let’s try this:

sign Hainsey, Gilbert, to overpay 2 year contracts andsign Winnik, Moss to 3 yr contracts. In a bold move trade for Jared Staal. He’ll be costly. We’d have 2 3rd line wingers, 2 top 4 D on 2 yr bridge contracts and have an elite 2C to play against Toews, Backes, Thornton, Getzlaf and Kopitar.

Expect Oilers sign Schultz to $30m contract, Orpick to ridiculous $$, Greene to Ference $$, Handzus and try Gagner at RW. Oilers finish 21st& will declare another abysmal season as progress and a real success

Because…….Oilers

I was quietly enjoying Woodguy’s summer party until you threw up all over the place with this possible reality check.

Anyway, did the Canes pick up Smithson and fuse him with Jordan Stall in their secret lab? I’m not sure that would be worth much.

47. Kitchener says:

Zangetsu:
    Or how about a gagner and 3 for Grigorenko and 2?

Plus, take the savings (Grigorenko has one more year at $925,000 vs Gagner’s $4.8M) into free agency to overpay on a 2C.

48. Kitchener says:

“Nail Yakupov is or will be available in a ‘impact prospect re-set’ should the opportunity arise. Nail for NY Islanders No. 5 overall, as an example.”

I like Yakupov very well, thank you very much, but I imagine I’d learn to like Dal Colle very much too.

49. Rondo says:

If Ekblad dropped to #3 and Draisaitl was available at # 5 , I think then you could think about trading Yakupov for NYI #5.

50. jp says:

Woodguy:

Very encouraging, and these moves all look good.. Lots of room for a Clarkson too though… :)

51. Oil Fan 99 says:

Draisaitl is an interesting prospect. Intriguing because there is some unknown. He put up some crazy numbers in Germany. What we do know is his 2 years in junior.

2012/13 64 GP 21 goals 37 assists 58 points
    2013/14 64 GP 38 goals 67 assists 105 points

Yakupov 2 years of junior.

2010/11 65 GP 49 goals 52 assists 101 points
    2011/12 42 GP 31 goals 38 assists 69 points.

Now Draisaitl is a centre, 2 inches taller than Yak and 20 pounds heavier.
    Is this a trade I make today? How about 5 years from now?

Would you trade Kessel for Couture? If you were Toronto you probably want more? Maybe Draisaitl is the next Kopitar? I’m just not convinced how Draisaitl would be able to succeed any better in this line up next year over Yakupov. Draisaitl has the same concerns defensively right now.

52. flyfish1168 says:

I like the idea of sending Ryan Johansen an offer sheet and seeing if Columbus matches it. JMHO

Bad Seed:
    After the Blackhawks were eliminated, rumours came out that Seabrook might be moved.Chicago needs to free up some cap space for the Kane & Toews so what about that?Or is he riding on Keith’s coattails?

Chicago has no cap problem next season as it is the last year on Kane and Toews contract. The problem comes the following season. There is no way they are trading Seabrook this summer.

Chicago wants to get the new contracts of Kane and Toews done in June to be announcedJuly 1, so they know how much cap room the have the year after this year, so they know how much money they have to spend this summer, since any free agent or trade they make this year has to fit in the following season’s budget too.

54. flyfish1168 says:

godot10: Chicago has no cap problem next season as it is the last year on Kane and Toews contract.The problem comes the following season.There is no way they are trading Seabrook this summer.

I like the idea of going after one of the Chicago players. In particularly Niklas Hjalmarrson. In 2010 July Blackhawks matched San Jose’s four year offer sheet, that is how high Scotty Bowman thinks of him. I hate the Braydon Coburn and Dion Phaneuf rumors. If what a player that can move the puck and skate well then why are we looking at Colburn. Klefbom and 2nd rounder for Hjalmarrson JMHO

55. Gerta Rauss says:

flyfish1168: Klefbom and 2nd rounder for Hjalmarrson JMHO

Agreed

This is the type of deal that makes some sense from both sides(and this fans perspective)

Klef or Marincin for 2 years of Coburn..? Non starter for me

Klef or Marincin for 5 years of a 27 year old Hjalmarsson..? That’s the kind of deal I could get behind, but this is assuming Chicago feels they need some cap relief. I’m not certain that is the case.

56. Younger Oil says:

I was just thinking about this, and I’m not sure if it’s legal, but are teams struggling to reach the cap floor allowed to make two quick trades in succession to give a team strapped for cap space needing some wiggle room, and be compensated with a pick?

For example, say Chicago trades Patrick Sharp to Buffalo for “future considerations”, then Buffalo trades Sharp with half of his salary retained back to Chicago for a prospect or pick.

57. rickithebear says:

Top playoff FO% forwards repeatedly in top.
    Gordon
    Goc
    j. Thorton
    Malhotra
    Statsny
    Stoll
    M. Richards
    Dubinsky
    D. Moore
    Ott

FO% Forwards repetedly in top Reg seasson
    Same group in reg season.

EVA Forwards plsyoffs

Based on this we need
    Goc FO; GD EVG
    Erat EVA; GD
    M. richards FO; EVA; GD
    Penner EVG; EVA; GD
    Marchand EVG; EVA; GD
    B. pouliot GD all years looked at
    Malhotra Suited for tough Zone FO. cover for Gordon.

58. flyfish1168 says:

Gerta Rauss: Agreed

Klef or Marincin for 2 years of Coburn..? Non starter for me

As Godot10 said in an earlier post that I agree with.

I hate these rumors for players on losing teams with bad contracts. Why do these rumors even start and we on these blogs run with it. I hope Mact is smarter than that and really going after good teams in CAP hell. We can get their good young players for a better price.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

Younger Oil: I know GM’s would be suspicious of the cap strapped team just keeping the player they initially trade to them, but if a solid agreement was in place, would it be legal?

60. Younger Oil says:

Gerta Rauss: No-a year has to elapse before you can trade a player back to a team under your scenario

I just realized, we traded Erik Cole back to Carolina less than a year after we acquired him, so was the reason that trade was allowed because it was part of a three way deal with Los Angeles? My memory is a bit shaky on the details of that trade, but Cole definitely went back to Carolina after less than a year.

61. Gerta Rauss says:

Younger Oil,

Cole was traded under the old CBA-there wasn’t any restrictions then

The ability to retain salary(as you proposed) is new to this CBA,(and the 1 year restriction)

If it’s a straight up hockey trade perhaps a player can be traded within a year, but when you start massaging the money as you suggest, the CBA prevents this, specifically to eliminate shenanigans with the salaries.

62. Younger Oil says:

Gerta Rauss,

That makes sense, thanks for the response! I wonder if we’ll see any attempts to find loopholes around these rules in the future.

If it ever happens though, safe money is on Lamoriello doing it :D

63. Racki says:

Younger Oil: Ah OK, thanks for letting me know! I know this is just stretching the premise, but could a “middle man” team get involved to pass the player from one team to another, then back to the original team? I know it’s wildly irrealistic, but I’m just a bit curious! Or is it the player being traded isn’t allowed to return to any team he was traded from within a year, regardless of how many teams he has been on?

It’s because of the retained salary that the player can’t be traded immediately back to the original team.

When Cole was traded, that was well before the retained salary rule was even in place.

If you’re talking about Patrick Sharp, he could be traded to Buffalo, and back to Chicago shortly there after, as long as there is no retained salary involved or any other form of cap circumvention. That’s why the rule exists.

Edit: sorry, way behind on this… had refreshed this page 10 mins ago or so, did some stuff, then replied. Should have re-refreshed first.

64. rickithebear says:

I would love to take on M. richards for 4 years
    he has 7; 6; 5.5; 4.5 3; 3 left.
    then buy him out the 2 last years the 4 years under us averages as 5.75 so the cap hit is 1M for 4 years.
    the first 2 years of 2.75M cap hit for front loading .15 to PHI and the rest o LAK.

You trade for him cause he is
    A top 25 FO forward
    A Good EVA rate with quality finishers.
    A great GD history for reg and Playoff season.
    A top 25 PK center
    A top 30 PP center Fo ability needed on PP.
    hall-XXX-Yak are out of this world with a Horcoff; Richards type.

65. rickithebear says:

Hall-M. richards-Yak
    Perron-#3-Eberle
    Pouliot-RNH-Goc
    hendricks-Gordon-Malhotra

66. Younger Oil says:

Racki,

Thanks for the response anyways! But if the paragraph about Cole is taken out (that was a stupid moment on my part), could the three step deal possibly happen with three different teams, so the player in question doesn’t go directly from one team back to the other?

Keeping with the Sharp example, let’s say the Islanders are a “middle man”. Sharp goes to the Islanders in exchange for “future considerations”, then the Islanders trade him to Buffalo for a late round pick, then Buffalo trades Sharp with salary retained back to Chicago for an early round pick/prospect.

So, in short, Buffalo retains cap space for a substantial upgrade on a pick, Chicago gets cap space, and the Islanders get a late pick for helping out.

I know that discussing this is rather trivial, as it would likely never happen, but it would be interesting to see some teams who are struggling with the cap trying to find loopholes in the new CBA.

67. Gerta Rauss says:

Younger Oil,

The league commented specifically regarding cap circumvention and retained salaries. I really doubt they would approve any trade that tried to circumvent the cap under any circumstances.

Bill Daly was very clear wrt this

68. Racki says:

Younger Oil:
    Racki,

“A team also cannot reacquire in a retained salary transaction a player who was on its reserve list within the past calendar year, meaning a team can’t trade a player simply to reacquire him at a reduced rate.”

Really, it doesn’t matter how a team tries to filter the player around… no, they can’t take the player back after salary had been retained in a transaction. That would mean that even if the player passed through several teams since having salary retained, the player can’t go back to any team he’s played on in the past year.

But really, as Gerta said, even if the language didn’t cover it, Daly would whack the peepee of any GM that tried to circumvent the cap somehow.

69. striker says:

Bob Nicholson kept mentioning things like the “only organization with this type of vision in the North America” and having an impact “worldwide”

So when is the OEG going to buy that KHL team?

70. cabbiesmacker says:

flyfish1168: I like the idea of going after one of the Chicago players. In particularlyNiklasHjalmarrson. .Klefbom and 2nd rounder for Hjalmarrson JMHO

This is funny. Keep dreaming.

Apparently you didn’t hear Darrell Sutter’s comments prior to the WC Finals. “Blackhawks have 4 top pairing D men.”

If you think you can touch a top pairing Dman with that offer you’re delusional.

71. cabbiesmacker says:

John Chambers:
    Boy, if I could play fantasy GM I’d make the following a priority

Woooo boy. Really?

72. Big Dan says:

cabbiesmacker,

Handzus…. yeah he played for Chicago and had a good Cup run a year ago. But other than that, the wheels have fallen off for a few years now. He is 37 and done.

There are plenty of other 3rd or 4th line options that are still in their 20s. Marcel Goc would be my preference. Or a guy like Dominic Moore or Benoit Pouliot from a team in cap hell like the Rangers.

73. Big Dan says:

cabbiesmacker,

I do not think that Chicago will deal any of Keith, Seabrook, or Hjalmarsson- I believe NH is signed for a while. Your offer of Marincin or Klefbom + would be deemed reasonable by them if Nick Leddy was the player going the other way. There were rumors of Leddy being on the move.

So my opinion of a better option is that we can get Johnny Oduya for a fair price. He is very good and will be a UFA in a year.

Someone asked earlier on this thread if Seabrook was the real deal. Yes, he is. But he is UFA in a year. I would trade the farm for him but it would have to be a sign and trade. I would pay him maybe not quite Ryan Suter money but definitely close to $7M per year if I had to. You could play him close to 30 minutes a game.

Still, I think Bowman will find a way to keep the core (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford) and recycle everybody else.

74. Hammers says:

LT can you do a synopsis on exactly who you feel can be traded ???? My list is : 3rd overall , Gags, Petry , Marincin , Perron , Lander ,Hendrickson , Arco , Musil , Garnat , Pitlick. 2nd rd from next year . Long list but I think any one of these may go but probably in a package deal . Your 3 for 1 and or perhaps a 2 for 1. I don’t think Yak , Klefbom, Gordon , Ference or the goalies are on his list so would add to your 4 above .

Hammers:
    LT can you do a synopsis on exactly who you feel can be traded ???? My list is : 3rd overall , Gags, Petry , Marincin , Perron , Lander ,Hendrickson , Arco , Musil , Garnat , Pitlick. 2nd rd from next year . Long list but I think any one of these may go but probably in a package deal. Your 3 for 1 and or perhaps a 2 for 1. I don’t think Yak , Klefbom, Gordon , Ference or the goalies are on his list so would add to your 4 above .

Sure. I had something along that track planned for today, so can fit it in.

76. FastOil says:

KSC10032,

The fans might be in love with the inventory but the team is in love with competitor’s near expiry wares and hopefully they can avoid getting burned again.

Bob Nicholson’s and Ramsay’s hiring, all of the cap space, and the fact many of the top spots on the team are vacant provide MacT with another golden chance to right the ship. It isn’t going to happen every summer so I hope he makes hay.

It isn’t likely a true top notch impact D is on the market, and unless Buf is liquidated re: sideburns I hope they simply buy what they need given the team’s ‘unique’ position. There aren’t many trades this team can win long term right now, and short term thinking is hopefully over if things are to continue to move forward.

Sell the future, spend the bank, give up nothing, look for trades that are other team’s sideburn wearers, hire another quality coach or two.

cabbiesmacker: Woooo boy. Really?

Pretty sure that whole post was in jest.

FastOil,

It isn’t likely a true top notch impact D is on the market,

Stralman.

Its been shown his TOI is against toughs as Vig gave his top two pairs almost identical TOI against the best of the other teams.

As the playoffs went on, Stralman and Staal actually got the tougher TOI.

Stralman killed it.

It wasn’t Staal carrying him either. It was shown that he actually carries Staal quite a bit.

79. flyfish1168 says:

cabbiesmacker: This is funny. Keep dreaming.

Cabbiesmacker word of advice, everyone has an opinion. No right or wrong. No need for negative name calling. That is what this form is all about. If you were capable of following two other posters on this thread you would see they two agreed this wouldn’t be a bad idea. Look at the high prospect and low CAP hit Marincin or Klefbom would be along with a draft pick. Blackhawks are in CAP hell if they want to sign Toews and Kane. Sutter is known to play mind games. Build other team up and then show them otherwise. Forward thinking JMHO

80. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

I think Stralman’s play in the playoffs was stellar. He has priced himself out of the Rangers’ plans unless Richards is bought out. They won’t be able to pay him the $4.5++ per season he will get on at least a 5 year deal.

I read a Swedish newspaper article about him, Google translate isn’t the best, so take it with a grain of salt, but early in his career he struggled with some unspecified illness. Doctors in New York fixed it for him and he has been feeling better since. He wants to stay in New York, but above everything else, he does want financial security and stability for his family (as we suspected on his bounce around Toronto, Calgary, Columbus, New York in such a short span). So if the number is $4.5m, I’d be comfortable with the 5 years you proposed, but if 6 years at the same cap hit would bring him to Edmonton over somewhere else, I’d hope it gets done.

Some Edmonton fans may complain about another “soft” 5’11″ D-man, but those who do would be wrong. He plays bigger than his size now, and is a fantastic skater. Now if only we could trade for his rights and hoodwink Slats into sending us Hagelin as well! Music!

Edit- by trade for his rights, I mean like a 2015 7th so we can sign him before the other teams get a chance! Not something of great value.

81. Deadman Waiting says:

Eakins has not for a moment wavered on returning to the overload/swarm defensive posture, he just switched initiation to the other end of the swimming pool, after the deep end turned into a CPR clinic.

“My bad. Everyone to the other end and we’ll do this the slow way. I thought these people knew how to breath air. Not you, Nugent. You stay right where you are.” Eakins squeezes from a slimy Kevlar sleeve a slime-covered training droid which slips splashlessly into the pool, which is now divided at the midway point by a fine mesh screen draped from an impossibly stiff Buckminster Woolerine draw-cord, which Bucky is muscling taut, bulging eyes level to a giant Bucky-foot braced to the winch pole 12 o’clock high. Steve fiddles with the laser failsafe mounted just under the waterline at the other side of the pool, while maintaining unbroken eye contact with the denizen of the deep end. Steve is good with lasers. Highly methodical. Double-checks even the simplest adjustment. Twice. Then once more for good luck.

This calf-sized water droid doesn’t look like much trailing a curtain of slime, but it’s actually a Sirius Cybernetics barracuda/moray transformer eel Eakins won in a Gargle Blaster drinking competition from some wattle-chinned chalk chump whose precise cetiiage is masked in Eakins’ recollection by a hazy number of heads, each with a hazy number of eyes.

“Nugey, I don’t know much about that critter—or who originally programmed it—but no matter how aggressive or predatory, rest assured the sanctity of your Speedo depends on knowing when to press your advantage and when to fall back. Me, I wouldn’t invest too much for the rest of this scuppered season in embellishing your toe drag with an edge work shim-sham.” Eakins touches three joined fingers to forehead as he continues. “I foresee you won’t be thinking much about happy days in the blue paint. Here’s your mechatronic snorkel–straw, now pinch your nose—NO! back-flip entry you nitwit—you sure don’t want to enter a scrum with a razor-gummed scum scooter goggles to tile.”

RNH nods thoughtfully. “Okay, boss.” He executes a quick one-eighty on the ball of his left foot, arches his back, and sploosh, away he goes. There’s a brief splat like the jet of a thumb-choked garden hose swept across a kitchen window as his entry plume subsides. Then. The pool boils. Jets of water erupt everywhere.

Eakins, under his breath: Damn, that kid is a fast study. “Now the rest of you, form up in pairs and join hands. We’re going to practice some leg bobs.”

Louder: “Good work, Bucky! It sure won’t slip through this time. Now fetch up the vests and the 5 lb lead bars—and not just the red ones, we’re going to need them all, two vests each.” Man, it burns me to have to replace that guy. He’s such a trooper. There’s Steve pointing that finicky laser straight at him while he’s maximally indisposed, and he’s still got them both. How is that possible?

———

sanctity of your Speedo
    ================= <= double underline

All the rest was just copacetic scenery.

———

I set out to advance a dry, chalkboard argument that to pinch ice in one place, you have to open ice in another. I for the life of me can’t see how MacT lets L’Incroyable Marincin with the stretchy spider legs slip through his fingers.

That move would run completely against the grain of Eakins’ stubborn streak which ain’t gone nowhere that I can see.