TRADER SUNDAY

The name to remember when talking rebuild is Taylor Hall. The idea this summer shouldn’t be ‘get the franchise player’ hell folks he’s been smoking opponents on Rexall ice for years now. That established, let’s walk through a few trade options that are on the floor.

ISSUE ONE: FLORIDA PANTHERS

• On SSE yesterday, Paul Almeida proposed the following: Nail Yakupov and Sam Gagner to Florida for the No. 1 and No. 32 selections.

It’s an attractive idea, the Oilers could go to the draft podium and select Aaron Ekblad and Leon Draisaitl on day one, and then grab a nice player at the front of the second round on day two. It would, at a glance, be an exceptional draft, one that could sustain the Oilers in two areas of great need for a decade or more. If you’re building up the middle, here’s a way to do it in a heartbeat. The added feature is the Oilers cap saving, massive if you consider various bonuses for Yakupov. The Panthers could afford to take on the salaries, and the trade would give them two offensive players of note—one of which could blossom into a 40-goal scorer.

The problem, for me, comes in two forms: first, you’re trading away two NHL players (Yakupov has struggled, but is finding his way) and adding two more flat out rookies, one of whom is a defenseman. Are you sure you want to do that? Moving the cluster back again? Remember Taylor Hall? “Well Taylor, we did trade some guys you’ve played with, but these new guys will help in 3, 4, years!” Seriously?

The other item is the more important, and that’s finding free agents to take the Oilers money. I’m not convinced Edmonton can get Grabbo-Kulemin, but I’d like to think they could, and getting those two on board makes a lot of sense. Does it make the same kind of sense with Yakupov gone? I guess it does, but one could argue this move could be made without trading Yak City.

If the Oilers trade these two pieces at the draft, they must score in free agency, even if that means massive overpayment, in dollars and term. Are we all prepared for that?

ISSUE TWO: COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

Aaron Portzline from Puck-Rakers is talking about a Gagner for Umberger deal, and has some interesting details involving no-trade. That’s a city to monitor, because Scott Howson brought a lot of men into that organization and has the lowdown on them. I’d hope the club could score more, but Umberger does fit the new template for the club and he is a veteran player. The money is close to matching, CBJ might want to chip in a little because of the term (extra year) and the relative youth of 89. Maybe a second? Could happen.

ISSUE THREE: DALLAS, NASHVILLE, TORONTO

The Fourth Period is on the Gagner story, with rumors that the Stars, Preds and Leafs have interest. Each team has some contracts they would no doubt like to unload, but most have NTC and that leaves Edmonton out (most of the time). Dallas is interesting because of the Shawn Horcoff connection (Horc apparently recommended Gagner for captain as he left), but I don’t see a good money match.

Nashville has all kinds of cool things, including Paul Gaustad, Viktor Stalberg and my choice Colin Wilson. Toronto? Kadri, Gardiner, Clarkson, there’s all kinds of names there. I think the Leafs make a certain amount of sense ESPECIALLY if there’s a desire to trade Dion Phaneuf. I think the big man is probably a reasonable name to target for the Oilers.

ISSUE FOUR: THE RFA’S

Edmonton has a long-standing tradition of evaluating players once they reach their crossroads rfa summer. This year’s model is Jeff Petry, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the club deal him. Petry has tremendous value to the team (21:35 a night, he was their best defenseman this past season) and he’s been the best value contract on the Oilers for at least a couple of years now.

Petry’s figure last season was $1.75 million and he’s quality. If I’m his agent $4 million is the area I’ll settle so would start the bidding well north of that number. MANY Oiler fans will (and have, with me) argue he’s not worth $3 million dollars a year, but I don’t believe that to be reasonable. You’re buying free agent seasons and any fool can see what he meant to this team in 2013-14.

vollman sledge blue 13-14That’s Corsi Rel, and the Vollman Sledgehammer. Mark Fraser sure has an interesting spot on the map.

So there you go. I don’t think it’s sexy on a Sunday morning to suggest Dion Phaneuf is a better target than No. 1 overall, but I also think Taylor Hall’s increasing frustration is a real and present danger. He is joined by millions of Oilers fans, who now look at the draft as some kind of false spring. There was a time when having the No. 1 meant everything, and now the idea of trading for it is noxious. What a ride.

78 Responses to "TRADER SUNDAY"

1. Clarkenstein says:

Sorry for not paying attention but as of today what kind of cap room do they have for this year? Mind you it probably won’t matter because the world is ending according to that renowned Climatologist and Geologist Desmond Tutu!

Clarkenstein:
    Sorry for not paying attention but as of today what kind of cap room do they have for this year?Mind you it probably won’t matter because the world is ending according to that renowned Climatologist and Geologist Desmond Tutu!

MacT has them in a good spot. $26M left, with Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry to sign. Most of $20M available.

As for Tutu, if you hadn’t sold all of your Ft. McMurray land to the devil, the world would be free!

:-)

Capgeek Oilers

3. flyfish1168 says:

JMHO. I like you LT is concern about Hall’s inner feelings about the rebuild and the reset on the rebuild.Its time to make this lottery pick the last and move North. I like the idea of keeping the pick for CAP control by developing and hopefully signing the pick for long term later. I would love to bring in some Russian players to help Yak and sign him to a bridge contract.

To trade Yak and Gagner for a 1st and 32nd is bold when your fans and Hall losing patience with this rebuild.

4. supernova says:

I like the idea of the Florida trade but don’t think #1 and 32 are enough.

I know age old story but if yak is worth say a little less than the #1 that means Gagner is only worth the 32. I would much rather look at a different trade or get a 3rd liner back from them as well.

I can see the fit there on both sides though. Florida seems to me a team that could be players for one or both guys.

That would be an outstanding trade from a Florida perspective, as they would pick up two top 6 players who at minimum should both get 45 plus points per year.

5. mumbai max says:

Ok, I am getting used to the idea of Phaneuf (gag).

I could live with soaking up Clarkson for a bag of pucks.(Musil?)

Solves a couple of problems for only cash (and Gagner). It depends on how confident MacT is regarding free agency. Something about ‘a bird in hand’ etc.

6. Hammers says:

Great synopsis LT . I like you fear a Petry trade and I don’t like the idea of Gags & Yak to Florida .I do think McT / Lowe feel the heat on Gags and he will be traded but for a serviceable player not picks . Yak stays . You didn’t mention Schultz and that may cost more than Petry but he isn’t as good as Petry . That one could be a problem . Overall Hall may affect decisions more than we think as I can’t see a player like that doing what Gags did and that’s staying here after no playoffs for 6 years .

7. speeds says:

Hope it’s OK that I repost this next bit LT, it’s from the last thread but pretty directly relevant to this one.

I don’t know if I’d say that’s a non-issue (re: pushing back the cluster), but I do think you’re making a little bit too big a deal about that.

1 and 32 for Yakupov and Gagner. I’m not sure FLA would do that, but let’s say they would.

EDM would be giving up Yakupov and Gagner, sure, but they’d also be opening up a pretty good chunk of cap space. You move the cluster back a bit, get a chance to look at the UFA market, exchange 5 yrs of Yakupov for 7 yrs of ??? in, arguably, a more key position.

If the argument is you wouldn’t move Yakupov because you still prefer him to anyone in this draft, that’s one thing. Moving the cluster back is less of a problem (well, maybe that would be more like creating a 2nd cluster, you could send Nurse back along with both players picked at 1 and 3, and have 3 guys to drop into the 15/16 thru 17/18 lineup on ELC’s), and arguably a good thing if EDM does a great job in the trade and UFA markets.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think a 2nd would be enough of an inducement to make that Umberger trade. Not even sure a first would be enough.

8. flyfish1168 says:

speeds,

speeds:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think a 2nd would be enough of an inducement to make that trade.Not even sure a first would be enough.

I like your thoughts on the idea of the Florida trade. If I was Hall or RNH I would not be able to help it but compare what has happened to the player that was chosen right after me. Seeing them play into late April and May would piss me off that management on the Oilers are looking at a 2nd cluster of high picks to lead the team and not me. The psyche of the currant core I believe would be damaged. JMHO

9. Henry says:

The Florida option (Yak and Gagner for Ekblad and an 18yroldwithastick) is the sort of thing they could do if they still had Hemsky. Instead they have a third rounder next year. Trading these two would make the Oilers one Eberle injury away from Tyler Pitlick playing with the Nuge and Hall. Barring a miracle on UFA day of course.

10. gr8one says:

I don’t think the FLA scenario is enough, I think it sets us back too far, and in this supposed weak draft year I think that second rounder carries less value. Spending five years for a Tyler Pitlick to develop doesn’t cut it for me.

Now something like Yak/Gags fir the 1STOV + Drew Shore and their 3rd rounder and I’d feel alot better.

With Barkov, Bjugstad and Pirri, they have good, young C depth already so losing Shore and them keeping their second rounder might be doable, no?

11. nycoil says:

I doubt Florida does that trade as it has been suggested. I could see them wanting to move down to the 3~7 range for a nice asset. I guess this is where missing the 2nd rounder given up for Perron hurts. Florida would be unlikely to find much better than #3 and #35 for #1.

Having watched the draft combine interviews, I am becoming a bigger fan of moving up to ensure they can get Ekblad. The young man is smart, articulate, calm, and focused, not to mention with him there are far less worries about how his frame will fill out in the future. He is big and strong already– and I don’t see how that is a bad thing despite the common discourse that says take the guy who “may” have more upside. Oilers can’t afford any misses here and I see Ekblad’s floor as being the highest of this draft.

Draisaitl also interviewed well, I think. Bennett, not so much.

Question is, can the Oilers afford to stand pat at 3 in the hopes that Florida bypasses Ekblad (Buffalo almost surely takes a centre)? I am beginning to think no. Some team below Edmonton is going to move up to grab him (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto…Philly–they are hosting the draft).

#3 + Musil/Gernat +Pitlick +#91 for #1 and #32?

12. Darcy says:

Hopefully Howson could build that deal into something bigger. Gagner + ? for Umberger, David Savard, and the rights to negotiate with Nikitin would probably be too much to ask. One can hope that Howson has some extra leverage in regards to a road trip Iphone photo to make it happen.

13. sumaclab says:

If your druthers are Florida.Eckblad for Yakupov. I would do that. I’d give up a 30-40 goal guy for a potential 1-2 dman in a heart beat.

Its the Pavel Bure vs Nick Lidstrom comparison. Would you trade one for the other. Both have value. But which has the potential to bring back a SC ring?

Gagner for the 32cd pick in the draft. I would take that. Brendan Lemieux or Brentt Pollock or some such player. Why not. Salary gone.

So you get Eckblad. Who do you draft 3? If its me. Its going to be Nylander or dalColle. One gives me skill and hockey IQ who has played against men.The other would give me the shooter/power forward desire .

But if its me I do the first deal ith no hesitation. The #3 and J Petry for me then are traded to Philly for BShenn Scott Laughton,B Couburn and the #18 .

Fun trading away on a Sunday. Time to go walk the dog. Sunshine and mosquito’s.

14. gr8one says:

Further to those thoughts, adding Grabo/Kulemin plus what I just suggested, Imho a pretty nice looking C depth chart moving forward.

Nuge, Grabo, Shore, Gordon, Draisatl.

Although, if I’m spitballing in ideals, I’d love to see a Spezza or a Stastny that pushes Nuge to 2C to insulate him for another year or two until he is truly ready to become am Elite 1C.

15. Henry says:

Umberger has three more years at Gagner money, is 32 and his play is slipping. We already saw the results of the Belanger experiment. If it was Gagner for Atkinson with Umberger’s contract thrown in, it would be more interesting.

16. Henry says:

Is Jeff Petry arbitration eligible?

17. Andy P says:

Hall will ask for a trade sooner or later if we continue to suck no matter who we do or don’t draft or trade.

18. LMHF#1 says:

Makes no sense to trade back 3-4 years. If MacTavish is actually serious, this summer is about the Grabovski/Kulemin crowd and a superstar Dman. Trade the first pick only if someone offers a star, and move players for players. Until the second Subban signs with MTL I hold out hope. Otherwise they need two slightly lesser guys.

Add Ulf’s kid as a support move if you can. He would be a perfect building block for that killer 3rd line a bunch are looking for in a year or two.

19. Younger Oil says:

I wonder if instead of Yakupov, we could trade Gagner, Schultz and a 4th/lower tier prospect for Florida’s 1st and 2nd. Schultz did outscore Yakupov this year, and if both Gagner and Schultz played all 82 games this season, they would have been Florida’s highest scoring forward and 2nd highest scoring Dman respectively.

I suggested this because it doesn’t leave the hole in the top 6 RW, and from what we’ve heard about Ekblad, he should be able to slot into Schultz’ spot and perform to a similar caliber. It would also keep us from a tricky RFA negotiation, and give us the cap space to sign most of Grabovski and Kulemin.

I would still likely do the deal with Yakupov (if we could get Grabbo-Kulemin-Perron as a 2nd line), but I would be much more enthusiastic about it if we could do it with Schultz instead.

20. mumbai max says:

I look forward to the posts here in a couple of years, wiping our collective brows, and thanking MacT for having enough common sense not to have traded Yakupov for magic beans. Even if they WERE organic, genetically modified magic beans!!

mumbai max:

22. Barcs says:

I see that deal with FLA as a possible solution. I’m loathe to trade Yak, I really am, but I am also a strong believer that Stanley Cup contenders are always strong, if not elite, up the middle.

The other thing is, with Gagner traded to FLA (I would be alright with just the 1st + 2nd if Gag’s cap is fully gone) that would give us right around 31M this offseason.

IF, and it is a fairly big IF, we can get Grabo to come here, his history suggests that he is roughly Gag’s offensive equal. Yak’s production is a wild card but I would suggest could be offset in the short term by solid and defensively sound veterans.

With 31M, minus say 8M for the RFA’s, that should be enough for 3-4 F’s and 1-2 upgrades on D. I’d love to have Markov and Stralman/Boyle/Fayne to push Schultz to 3rd pairing.

I would rather do Young Oil’s deal using Schultz instead of Yak, but I just can’t see Tallon pulling the trigger on that, Schultz doesn’t have the same pedigree as Yak, and is quite a bit older.

If we send both Ekblad and Draisaitl (or whoever) to junior for 1-2 more years, we not only let them develop more, but we also maximize their value to us while on their Entry Level deals for later on. That cannot be understated, if we want to avoid cap problems in the future. Having contributing players still on EL’s is a staple of a good team.

My point in all this is just to say that the cluster of our star young players getting pushed back a few years doesn’t have to hurt us if we are smart with signing UFA’s now, and may help us in 2 years when we have those high picks for a full 3 years while being further down their development path.

23. speeds says:

Lowetide: That’s my point. I mean, Yakupov is NOT going to get you full value right now. MacTavish trades him now, and chances are he looks like a donkey by 2016.

I get what you’re saying LT, but just to play devil’s advocate, “there is a chance” is not necessarily the same as “chances are”.

And I am not sure that 1OV is what people normally mean when they say “magic beans”

24. flyfish1168 says:

1st June today does this mean we lose Erik Gustafsson and the colorful Daniil Zharkov ?

flyfish1168:

Believe it’s midnight.

speeds: I get what you’re saying LT, but just to play devil’s advocate,“there is a chance” is not necessarily the same as “chances are”.

Sure. And Ekblad is a nice player, no doubt. Do you think EDM and FLA would both agree to the deal as described above?

27. rich says:

Actually I would take this one step further. Neither Yak or Gagner is going to get you full value. Trading both of them right is bad asset management and really sets things back.

If the Oilers get off to a tough start again next season, this thing could very quickly implode on MacT. He’d be hearing screams for the head of the coach and a request for trade from Hall.

This summer is more important than last year. You can’t afford to screw this one up and trading 2 under-valued assets for something that will be less than the EA sports GM’s realize is going to set this franchise back a decade.

28. speeds says:

I think FLA would pass. If the Oilers now don’t consider Yakupov part of the core, I could see them looking at that kind of trade.

29. rich says:

Just to clarify – I’m not saying “don’t trade either Gagner or Yak”. We may have no choice but to trade 1 – very possibly Gagner.

Trading one will have risk. Trading both, is even more risky. Part of being a GM is taking calculated risks. But given what’s happened here the last 8 years – and in particular, the last 5, this is a huge summer, even more important than last year.

30. eidy says:

I don’t have any interest in Umburger, I think there are better deals to have. Gagner has his flaws, but is still an NHL player and I think getting a Colin Wilson, Brock Nelson, etc is still a possibility. The only way I consider that deal with Florida is getting Kulikov back as well. I don’t think Fla does it.

I have been on the Kulemin/Grabo wagon for a few years. I was trying to think of the best way to get them. What about if the oilers traded a 7th or 6th rounder to toronto for fights to negotiate for Kulemin. Toronto is moving on and would probably do it. Then you can negotiate with Kulemin and his agent (who is also Grabo’s agent I believe) with the understanding that you want the same thing they want. Kulemin and Grabo playing together and you would also get an idea of what Grabo would want. If you could secure Kulemin and hence Grabovski as well, then you could trade gagner knowing that #2 C was taken care of. The other option would be to trade late round picks for both, but this way you keep the extra pick.

then it would look like this
    No. 3: C Leon Draisaitl or member of big 3 with ekblad and bennet
    No. 33: R David Perron (also cost Magnus Paajarvi)
    No. 63: G Ben Scrivens
    No. 91: I wish Vlad Kamenev would fall related to Russian factor, but not likely so D Andreas England. The idea of drafting from Europe and having a 4 year window vs 2 year window is a selling point for me. More draft and follow. Does anyone know if the Europeans have the same out after 4 years as NCAA players?
    No. 111: C Colby Cave- Captain and centre for Swift Current. PPG player. 5 days older than Chase. Was on Red line underrated last year. One extra year of development is key as well. Same range as Ewanyk was taken, but many more points.
    No. 130: D. Nikita Tryamkin- big body, did well at WJC. 6 foot 7, 225 why not take a chance. Suspect he is gone by here.
    No. 137: LW Edgars Kulda- like to take a Oil king. played really well for last 6 months. can penalty kill
    No. 153: rights to negotiate with Kulemin (and basically Grabo as well)
    No. 183: another Greg Chase please

31. gogliano says:

I take the deal because it solidifies two key positions going forward. The cap room can then be used to trade for good players on bad contracts. Hall is a smart hockey guy and will see what the trade does for the team going forward, I doubt he has a problem with it.

But I doubt Florida trades the 1OV for a 1OV that another team is trying to unload. Why do it? The very act of offering Yakupov lowers his value. Florida would have to be asking what they don’t know about Yakupov and they aren’t going to got out on a limb to find out given that they have the most valuable asset on draft day.

All of this is to say, I think, that “draft BPA” should include a decent premium for players playing the most important spots in the lineup (centers, dmen if they were easier to project). Trading down the line doesn’t return fair market value.

32. HallDown says:

If we’re trading Yakupov to Florida, whey aren’t we getting Kulikov back? He’s available, and would fill a hole in our D. Yak is going to be very good. I’d guess not this season but next.

I’m ok with Gags for Umberger. We can afford the cost, and again we fill a need. Yes he’s on the decline but he’s HUGE, can play both wings, and can still produce offensively. Also, he may be the one player with a No-trade clause that we could get, because few teams want that contract. This trade is dependent on Oilers filling the 2C role.

I don’t like the idea of trading Petry. MacT has to add without subtracting, a tough job but he did well with it last season. This armchair GM thinks we should get on older #1 Left D to hold the line while Marincin/Klefbom/Nurse grow up, and one long-term #1 right D, preferably with the physical/grit dimension to complement Petry and Schultz. Of course, if we did trade Kulikov for Yakupov, Klefbom and Nurse become available for trade. Maybe Mac could fill another hole in the forward line.

Great Sutter quotes from Mayor’s Manor: http://nblo.gs/XlVKV

This is my fave:

Q. Safe to say you would rather go back to defense tomorrow?
    SUTTER: You say defense. It’s an old adage. This league is not about defense, it’s about good checking and not turning the puck over. Teams that just play defense, they’ve been on the outside looking in on Apr 15. If you just take last night, goals were scored, goals in the third period, one was a power play goal, Drew’s goal, good offensive zone play, and Kane’s goal off the wall, that’s miss coverage on a defenseman. Duncan Keith’s goal was missed coverage. So little areas of a better player taking advantage of a lesser player.

I think Eakins and MacT take the thought of “not turning the puck over” and take it too far with pounding them with “not making a mistake”

They sacrifice zone entries on the alter of “not making a mistake” and give up possession often and they are not a team that gets it back easily.

THEY’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!

34. Jordan says:

Based on all the verbal about Schultz being the part of the untouchable cluster, I’m doubtful that this is likely, but I’d really like to see something like Gagner + Schultz for Phaneuf + Tor 2014/15 1st (1 or the other).

I’ll be the first to admit this is biased in favour of the Oilers, but at that same time, it provides a potential top pairing D-man and a top 6 scorer to Toronto, for an underperforming Dman on a noxious contract, and a pick that may or may not become an NHLer.

There is some value on both sides of the deal

35. Maverick says:

Woodguy,

Sorry had to add this to the “Going the wrong way!”

36. Maverick says:

As for the discussion, Gagner for Umberger with CLB retaining salary, I would do the deal.
    But for Yakupov…. value is too low, can’t make the deal with Florida. Have to develop the kid.

37. Barcs says:

Jordan,

I think if you were to ask a Leaf fan/management they would stop you after Gagner + Schultz for Phaneuf. Maybe we could have then take a little cap hit, or toss in a lower pick because of that monster contract, but I don’t think those two Oilers get you Phaneuf and a 1st.

Just IMHO.

38. OilClog says:

Trading Yakupov is madness, complete utter madness.

Trading Yakupov means that nothing since 06′ has meant a damn thing.

8yrs!

If any of these rumors are true we’re losing every damn one of them.

Oates, Huddy, and Ranford need to be brought in.

Eakins is impossible to follow, he says one thing then does the exact opposite.

What player progressed under Eakins? Zero. None to his doing.

Hall didn’t turn a corner until Eakins said himself they stopped applying so much pressure and just let him be Taylor Hall on the freaking ice.. Gee golly geewilligers no poop!

zero recognition on killing on of the leagues best power plays..

The entire season was indefensible coaching mistake after mistake. There was Zero reasoning for allowing Lander to get beat on the 2nd line winger.. Who does this?!? For 20games!! A 1/4 of the year!

Damn Toronto media hype

39. Spydyr says:

I’m all for Gagner moving on .IMO he is not the right fit here.The thing is you cannot trade him for a player entering the twilight of his career.This team is years away from being competitive.Trading for players outside the core groups age makes no sense.Therefore I fully expect “The Braintrust” to do it.

The team at present should be picking up pieces that fit long term.The time for picking up veteran pieces is a few years down the road.When the team is ready to win.There is no way this team will be ready to win next season.Far to many holes to be filed.

40. HBomb says:

41. spoiler says:

I highly doubt FLA makes that trade either. That would mean they value Yakupov over Ekblad, and I don’t see any way on this planet that is the case. Nor do they have a roster spot for Gagner, unless it is at wing. But let`s say they`re interested for the sake of argument.

If the goal is to push this team forward this off-season, then at the end of trade season we need to have more NHL players than when we started. At the very least, the same number.

Yak+Sam for 1st and 31st defeats that purpose.

Out of those two expected signings, one HAS to be for a Moss or Winnik to improve the 3rd line. They won’t be easy to sign and will take some effort, but one of them is essential.

Okay, that being established (at least in my own head), let’s re-visit Blue-haired Boca…

Obviously trading the two hobbits for picks doesn’t add to the roster, but let’s say Ekblad will play NHL next year (he will). So we’re already down an NHLer.

What if instead the deal was something more like this:

Yak + 3rd overall FOR Kulikov + 1st overall.

I’m not sure how Tallon feels about Kulikov, but it hasn’t sounded like a love-in. If FLA is happy with getting any of the top 3 draft prospects, then maybe they do this deal.

What if we can expand it?

Yak + Gags + 3rd overall FOR Kulikov + Bergenheim + 1st overall

Finns! Bergenheim has a nice contract, but he’s far too old for their rebuild at 30. He’s a two way player and can score some goals.

The thing about Berg is that he shoots the puck. A lot. I’ve been of the opinion all year that the Oilers Corsi numbers don’t accurately reflect their possession time. This is a team that tries to pass the puck into the net and has no crease presence for rebound shots that can really jack the Corsi numbers.

Bergenheim is not the kind of player that passes the puck into the net. And did I mention he’s a Finn?

So in this case, we get two NHL players back with a possibility of three–Kulikov, Bergenheim, and maybe Ekblad–out of trading two.

If one was to also trade a 7th to sign Grabo early, or take the Philly trade as offered… 1st overall for the Schenns, well then we have increased the number of NHL players by one again.

We would actually be ahead of the game before UFA frenzy begins.

Maybe this sort of deal would work for Buffalo too…

Yak + Gags + 3rd overall FOR Erhoff + Stewart + 2nd overall?

That seems a little tougher as both those players are useful for Buffalo. Maybe it gets closer by removing the two 1st rounders, but still tough for me to imagine unless Buffalo has a real hard-on for bringing in Yak to play with Grigorenko.

The rumoured Philly deal–the 3rd for the two Schenns–brings in more NHL players then it send out. It bolsters the roster today.

42. prairieschooner says:

Any trade involving Yakupov is an admission of 3 things
    They picked the wrong guy
    The can’t “fix” Yakupov
    BPA is not always the best way to go

How unfunny is this
    The Oilers trading up to get the number one pick because they think this years number one will get them out of future lottery picks land, ass opposed to all their other number 1 picks

Have they any idea what they are doing?

43. spoiler says:

HBomb: So by any reasonable measure, Petry was the Oilers best D last year by a significant margin, yet we should prepare for the Oilers to deal him? Have we become so desensitized to this management regime not having a clue that we freely expect them to do the dumbest thing possible in all situations?

Hope things are well with you H.

I think Petry goes out only if there`s a stud coming back. And obviously as part of a bigger package. They won`t want to sign him while playing around in the trade market, but once the market dries up, he will get signed.

44. Deadman Waiting says:

OilClog: Gee golly geewilligers no poop!

Of course it’s obvious. Nearly every naturally-gifted offensive player in the league benefits from being given the green light. Unfortunately, twenty green lights is Ice Capades and not a team sport.

There’s a cost to the cohesion of the team. In our case, our third and forth line are all dressed in red tunics. Justin is jumping into the play like he’s cycling through green/yellow/red at the whim of a Budapestian traffic control box recently MacGyvered with a sliced-up credit card while our sparklepony scouting staff man sweeper fixates on the big poke with the most polish (bycatch of a few discarded ice cream wrappers notwithstanding).

A smart coach needs to fill in the curve between the yellow and green for each gifted attacking player on the team, and allocate the green to its greatest impact as constrained by the sea of red tunics getting turned around once too often and losing the plot.

Turns out the extra chaos with Taylor is worth the price. That was not obvious on the day Eakins arrived, who is still scratching his chin on a system that works.

HBomb:

Short answer: yes. I’m not really expecting much after the Fraser acquisition and the Greene/Engelland rumors.

46. Mr DeBakey says:

spoiler: I think these are the kind of deals the Oilers should be looking at. Hell, I would send out the 3rd overall AND the 3rd and 4th rounders, and basically skip this draft, if it means adding to the NHL roster.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

spoiler: Out of those two expected signings, one HAS to be for a Moss or Winnik to improve the 3rd line.

Something/nothing [Kessy] for buyout candidate David Booth
    Something/nothing to Silicon Valley for pressbox denizen Tyler Kennedy.
    Something like Marco Roy to Ottawa for overpaid Colin Greening
    Gagner + 3rd to Toronto for Celine + 8th
    Sign Brett Bellemore
    Sign Derek Roy

Do Carolina want to re-sign Tlusty?

2) Please stop with the Justin Schultz hating. At crunch time in these playoffs, it is the team with D who can make a difference offensively who turn the tide. Keith, Doughty, Subban, McDonagh. Schultz has been playing for a putrid team with little help slotted too high too early. He is not going to be Scott Niedermayer, but Brian Rafalski and Brian Campbell helped a lot of teams win a lot of playoff games.

4) If Phaneuf can be had without giving up the #3, Petry, or Schultz, in a deal involving Gagner….but it is hard to see a deal. Afraid it would be Gagner and Petry for Phaneuf. If it is Gagner and Klefbom or Gagner and Marincin, what does one do. I haven’t decided yet.

5) I would pick Ekblad before the centres. Least downside risk. Fills a great need even if he does not achieve the top end of is potential. (And it would be extremely difficult for Eakins to screw him up…Yak and Hall and even the bobblehead went backwards under Eakins) Bennett has the highest potential, and the highest risk. He is less polished in his interviews than Reinhart and Draisaitl because the latter two are 2nd generation hockey players, sons of professional hockey players. So if no Ekblad, draft Bennett, and send him back to junior. Eakins probably won’t be around a year from now. But I think the draft is trending, Ekblad, Bennett. So the choice is probably going to be between Reinhart and Draisaitl.

48. spoiler says:

Mr DeBakey: Ding! Ding! Ding!That Panther trade proposal could only be made in June when too many glowing scouting reports causes a softening of the brain.Something/nothing [Kessy] for buyout candidate David BoothSomething/nothing to Silicon Valley for pressbox denizen Tyler Kennedy.Something like Marco Roy to Ottawa for overpaid Colin GreeningGagner + 3rd to Toronto for Celine + 8thSign Brett BellemoreSign Derek RoyDo Carolina want to re-sign Tlusty?

If I was at the helm, and had it to keep it reasonable and achievable, the first thing I would do is admit to myself it can’t be done in one summer. And then I would…

Trade 7th rounder to WAS for rights to Grabo. SIgn him.
    Trade Gagner to FLA for Bergenheim. Gagner fits their age plans far better and has a history of more offense. I think this is do-able.
    Trade Yak + 4th rounder to BUF for Erhoff + BUF 2nd rounder. Tough to say whether BUF would do this. But since we would hate the deal too, maybe it gets done.
    Draft Reinhart. Make a smart D pick with the BUF 2nd and take Edgars with the 4th.
    Sign Winnik/Moss, Mark Fayne.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Berg-Grabo-Perron
    Hend-Gord-Winnik
    Lander-Arco-Reinhart

Erhoff-Petry
    Marinicin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz
    Klefbom

Trading Yak is riskier than screwing junkies, but we replace him with Reinhart and end up with what I think is a borderline playoff team that could make it if Nuge and Schultz take steps forward and they get decent goaltending. It also means the holes that need to be filled next summer are a lot easier to accomplish.

The 3rd line is still a bit of a black hole, but other than that there’s scoring on every line, there’s more vets, there’s a better 1st pairing and we’ve added a better RHD than Fraser. The 3rd line gets fixed if Reinhart can grow into the 2RW role mid-season and you can move either Perron or Bergenheim into Hendricks’ spot and then Hendricks down to the 4th.

49. spoiler says:

godot10: 3) I don’t see the Florida deal. Philly can outbid everyone for that pick. They can offer their #1 and Brayden Schenn, and probably something else.

I don’t think Schenn + Philly pick beats Yak + 3rd overall.

The Oiler pick is notably better, and FLA is in a re-build. Considering their roster they probably prefer a good defenseman or a scoring winger to a center. Yak has better pedigree than Schenn, and Schenn hasn’t exactly lit it up since taking a regular shift either.

I don’t see that as a clear outbid at all. Of course it comes down to how GMs value specific players, but neither you nor I know what those values are.

50. russ99 says:

Trading Yak now, especially for picks and not NHL players would be dumber than a box of rocks.

If you’re going to trade anyone from the (Non-Gagner) cluster it has to be Eberle.

He’s plateaued offensively, though this could be due to Eakins’ line switching games.
    He can return the most in a deal over any Oilers player save Hall.

51. russ99 says:

Btw: did anyone else see that hilarious story of Sam Bennett not being able to do a pull-up?

52. G Money says:

godot10: 1) If I’m Petry’s agent and I don’t get offered 4 x $5 million, I’m going to arbitration, and testing UFA next summer. There is no reason to sign a long term deal for less than that. Arbitration will get him a hefty raise, and UFA will get him the $5 million with term from somebody.

Doubt that.

Playing on one of the worst teams in the league not only makes it hard for the team to sign UFAs, it makes it hard for the players to get market leverage.

It’s exactly the reverse of the effect that bloats the UFA market value of mediocre players the year after they play on a Stanley Cup champion team.

It’s why people can taunt the Oilers for signing Hemsky to a contract right in line (if anything, undervalued) with his historical scoring rates. The same people that react in shock and surprise when Hemsky lights it up on a better team.

If Petry can get $4.5M out of the Oilers for any term, he should sign it in a heartbeat. Until the Oilers are a much better team, he’s not getting that anywhere else, so as an RFA, he might as well try to be part of the solution.

53. G Money says:

russ99: He’s never going to live up to the full value of his contact unless this team turns a a huge corner.

If Eberle keeps up his now-established career average of 0.8 ppg, and I don’t see why not, his contract is average to slightly undervalued in the long-term. “He’s never going to live up to the full value of his contract” is nonsense.

G Money:

If Petry can get $4.5M out of the Oilers for any term, he should sign it in a heartbeat.Until the Oilers are a much better team, he’s not getting that anywhere else, so as an RFA, he might as well try to be part of the solution.

55. G Money says:

My all UFA solution for next year:

Stastny 2C $7m (trade Gagner for picks and prospects)
    Kulemin 3R $3.4m (Lander or Joensuu or Hendricks at 3L)
    Setoguchi 4R $2m (Lander or Joensuu or Hendricks at 4L, Arco at 4C)
    Niskanen $5M top pairing
    Fayne $2.5M second pairing
    (assumes Petry @ $4.4M and Schultz @ $3.8M)

Capgeek tells me this makes the 23-man roster a cap roster, excepting about $100K of bonus overage. Numbers look realistic except possibly for Fayne, that doubles his current salary, but not sure what it might actually take to get him.

It’s not a contender, but it’s a playoff team.

56. G Money says:

Lowetide: Supply and demand is EXACTLY the reason Petry and Schultz have value. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a prolonged negotiation for either or both, and maybe even an offer sheet.

57. spoiler says:

G Money: I didn’t imply or try to imply that either player does not have value – in fact, in my UFA roster above, I assume that Petry signs for $4.4M and Schultz for $3.8M.In Petry’s case, we are fans of him because we see his play night in and night out, but conversely, I absolutely do not think you can be -22 on the third worst team in the league and command $5M as an RFA – even if you’re the “best defenseman” on that team.

58. cabbiesmacker says:

Wondering what you meant by including Stalberg in the “cool” Nashville things?

Yeesh.

I thought many teams did advanced stats analysis these days. Petry is young proven veteran all-tool 2nd pairing D (and a right shot). He will get $5 million with term as a UFA.

spoiler: I think LT’s point is that because the Oilers have no other option for 1RD (supply), that Petry does have some leverage internally. I could be wrong though.

Yes, should have been more clear. Oilers are exposed.

cabbiesmacker:
    Wondering what you meant by including Stalberg in the “cool” Nashville things?

Yeesh.

Cool as in this is a player Edmonton was rumored to be interested in previously, and may be interested in again.

62. spoiler says:

cabbiesmacker: Wondering what you meant by including Stalberg in the “cool” Nashville things?Cool as in “how can a player with that size and rumoured ability be that useless” cool or “How cool would it be if the Oilers could get a POS like Stalberg into their lineup and give up a decent asset in the process” cool?Yeesh.

I’ve been looking more closely into Colin Wilson too over the past couple of days and I don’t think he is a worthwhile target either.

Since he messed up both his shoulders a couple of years ago, his production has fallen off a cliff with no sign of returning. He’s been a healthy scratch occasionally since the dual surgeries, due to his lack of offense. Also, the only time he has played C for Nashville was after they traded Legwand. He had been playing at LW prior to that.

63. spoiler says:

That Nashville roster is a right mess. I don’t see how Weber doesn’t demand a trade looking at the hill that needs to be climbed and the years it will take to climb it. They can’t even put together a valid 1PP unit much less a 2nd PP right now. And really, if they want their rebuild to take less time than forever, they SHOULD trade Weber.

64. speeds says:

spoiler: People have been posting four and five and six player UFA signings this off-season. This just doesn’t happen to a non-playoff team. Two can be expected, three hoped for, four maybe if two of the signings are bottom end.

65. spoiler says:

speeds: Last summer the Oilers signed Gordon, Ference, Jones, Grebeshkov, and Joensuu as UFA’s. Maybe the last 3 are not top end UFA’s, but guys like Gilbert, Hainsey, Raymond and Grabovski were hanging around for a while. EDM committed 3.9M to Jones/Grebs/Joensuu, is it unfathomable that EDM could have committed that money (and perhaps more, EDM was not at the cap) to acquire at least a couple of those players?

Jones was already here and wanted to stay. That doesn’t fit with what commentors were trying to do. Grebs was not a UFA coming off a NHL team. That brings us down to 3 signings, one of which, Joensuu, was bottom end. I stick by my assessment, (which doesn’t include UFA signings from Europe, nor did the posts I was critiquing). How many NHL UFA signings can be reasonably expected?

66. spoiler says:

You raise a good point though, speeds, in that is there a solution to a roster hole hiding off-shore that we can add to the N. American options? I think you would be far better at answering this question with some names than I though. Or maybe LT can do a post on some possibilities some time in June?

67. speeds says:

spoiler: Jones was already here and wanted to stay. That doesn’t fit with what commentors were trying to do. Grebs was not a UFA coming off a NHL team. That brings us down to 3 signings, one of which, Joensuu, was bottom end. I stick by my assessment, (which doesn’t include UFA signings from Europe, nor did the posts I was critiquing).How many NHL UFA signings can be reasonably expected?

I am not sure why Jones and Grebs don’t count as UFA’s. They were signed as UFA’s, and made a combined 3M. Had they not given that money to those 2 UFA’s, could they have not have given it to 2 other UFA’s that fit your definition?

I don’t know how many can be “reasonably expected”. EDM has roughly 17M in cap space (if you allow 8M for Petry/Schultz), and could use 3F and either 2 or 3D (depending on Klefbom). That works out to roughly 3M per slot. Any reason they shouldn’t be able to land 4 or 5 reasonable UFA options for that money?

68. spoiler says:

speeds: I amnot sure why Jones and Grebs don’t count as UFA’s. They were signed as UFA’s, and made a combined 3M. Had they not given that money to those 2 UFA’s, could they have not have given it to 2 other UFA’s that fit your definition?

Yes. There’s more to landing a UFA than just having the money. First, they have to be actually useful and a fit, which narrows the list considerably. Second they have to want to play for you, which narrows the list further. Grabovski and Raymond not being signed here may have something to do with either of the first two reasons. Third you need to have the contract number space, the money and the term to offer. Fourth, possible competition from other teams can change the values of the contract and term to something you don’t want to live with.

My comments are coming from the point of view of what do you plan on doing today if you are at the helm of the USS Oiler. I think it would be very optimistic to make a plan that relies on signing that number of UFAs to ice an improved NHL team next season. I’m not saying that if you hit all your targets and can still improve in the UFA market that you stop. of course you don’t. But sitting here today, coming up with a plan, what can you reasonably expect to get accomplished? I’d rather err on the conservative side than fail at the market and be left with holes.

I haven’t included signing one’s own UFAs, because first if they were any good they would’ve been signed by you prior to July 1. Other signings often come after that date just because of the length of negotiations but an understanding a re-singing is coming. I’m talking about UFAs that you have to go to the market for. That aren’t for sure.

I also don’t include our own UFAs nor those playing in Europe because neither were part of the conversation, and my comments were directed towards that conversation.

But if you would like me to refine my remarks further I would re-frame them as thus: one can expect to sign 2 UFAs from N. American skaters, reasonably hope for 3, and possibly do 4 if there’s 1 or 2 bottom enders in there. One can also reasonably expect to sign any and all of one’s own UFAs that are willing to sign, and one might also be able to add a UFA or two from Europe.

69. bendelson says:

spoiler,

Bergenheim… I was thinking Kopecky (more LW options available as UFA’s?).
    I would think these players could be traded for without involving Gagner in fact.
    But indeed, either player fills a role.

Curious that you included Grabovski and didn’t include Kulemin…

Question 1: Lots of talk about trading Yak but little involving Perron. Does Perron not get more value back today with all the questions around Yak? Does this suggestion anger people more than trading Yak at such low value?

Quesiton: If the Oilers end up drafting Draisatl, does Goc enter the picture as a potential UFA?

Very interesting time for the Oilers.

70. One-Timer says:

spoiler:
    That Nashville roster is a right mess.I don’t see how Weber doesn’t demand a trade looking at the hill that needs to be climbed and the years it will take to climb it.They can’t even put together a valid 1PP unit much less a 2nd PP right now.And really, if they want their rebuild to take less time than forever, they SHOULD trade Weber.

71. spoiler says:

bendelson: Bergenheim… I was thinking Kopecky (more LW options available as UFA’s?).
    But indeed, either player fills a role

I would like to think that they could swing it without Gagner too.

Kopecky hasn’t played since his last concussion and Bergenheim is a shot machine and a Finn and two years younger, so he would be my preference. If Kopecky is fine though, I would be willing to look at him. Gagner and a prospect for the pair?

I didn’t include Kulemin, or a bunch of others, because I don’t want to over-reach on my plan. I want to see what I can reasonably hope to accomplish and anything beyond that is bonus, baby.

Otherwise why not say we’ll sign Stastny, Markov, Moulson, Winnik AND Moss, Fayne and be done with it?

That’s the reason I send Washington an end of the draft pick too… to make sure I can sign Grabovski before I trade Gagner. I don’t think we can trust UFA Frenzy to be our saviour. It rarely has been.

72. spoiler says:

One-Timer: Just to be clear: nobody’s assuming that he would choose EDM over the Preds, right?

73. speeds says:

spoiler,

I appreciate the in depth response, I’ll try to post a response for you at one of the intermissions here.

74. One-Timer says:

spoiler: Don’t think I mentioned EDM anywhere in there, but they are far more preferable than the Preds right now. It’s not enough close. There are, of course, destinations more preferable than Edmonton, which is why the Oil go unmentioned.

You did not mention the Oil, quite reasonably. I was just alluding to the fanatical popularity of Weber trade proposals.

75. G Money says:

godot10: I thought many teams did advanced stats analysis these days. Petry is young proven veteran all-tool 2nd pairing D (and a right shot).He will get $5 million with term as a UFA.

Petry is a RFA.

76. bendelson says:

spoiler,

If you can get Grabo, Kulemin shouldn’t be out of reach but I get your point nevertheless.

Would you agree Frolik would be preferential to either Berg or Kopecky? He would cost more surely, but an attractive asset.

77. speeds says:

spoiler: Yes. There’s more to landing a UFA than just having the money.First, they have to be actually useful and a fit, which narrows the list considerably. Second they have to want to play for you, which narrows the list further. Grabovski and Raymond not being signed here may have something to do with either of the first two reasons. Third you need to have the contract number space, the money and the term to offer.Fourth, possible competition from other teams can change the values of the contract and term to something you don’t want to live with.

My comments are coming from the point of view of what do you plan on doing today if you are at the helm of the USS Oiler.I think it would be very optimistic to make a plan that relies on signing that number of UFAs to ice an improved NHL team next season.I’m not saying that if you hit all your targets and can still improve in the UFA market that you stop.of course you don’t. But sitting here today, coming up with a plan, what can you reasonably expect to get accomplished? I’d rather err on the conservative side than fail at the market and be left with holes.

I haven’t included signing one’s own UFAs, because first if they were any good they would’ve been signed by you prior to July 1.Other signings often come after that date just because of the length of negotiations but an understanding a re-singing is coming.I’m talking about UFAs that you have to go to the market for. That aren’t for sure.

I think if you can find some players where a team might be willing to move a player, you look into that. If a player is overpaid on a short term, and the other team wants to move him, you look at it depending on cost. One guy that I’ve haven’t really much looked into, but might fit that bill, could be Kennedy in SJ, who was a HS in the playoffs.

I think that’s what you look to do today, and as always if there are trades that make sense, you look at those.

In terms of UFA’s, how many you need depends on who you get. If EDM decided they were going to allocate a big portion of their available cap room to Stastny and Stralman, they may or may not get both, but getting guys that can play that high up the ladder changes your other targets. For instance, if you happened to get Stralman, that might change your thoughts on keeping Klefbom vs. a scenario where you sign Greene and decide to sign a vet in place of Klefbom, leaving him in the AHL, unless a useful vet D shakes free in late July/August for little money.