WATCHING THE DETECTIVES

The Cult of Hockey has been doing a tremendous job in their look back to the Oilers drafting this century. I’ve enjoyed it for three reasons:

• It’s well researched and presented.
  • It is critical when warranted, but isn’t vicious or personal.
  • I can tell McCurdy’s getting frustrated, especially about 2007. I don’t know why we humans enjoy the suffering of others, but this is us.

If you haven’t read the series, I suggest you do. Start at the beginning, and make sure you have a quiet moment to read 2007, there may be some weeping. In one of the later installments, 2010, Jonathan Willis writes the following:

• There is still a substantial element of uncertainty in the 2010 Draft, which we currently have rated as below NHL average. If Marincin continues developing as expected and one of Pitlick/Davidson emerges, we may look back at 2010 as an average draft or perhaps even a clean win for the Oilers. On the other hand, if Marincin regresses and those players fail to develop, it will be a total fiasco that even the Hall selection cannot redeem.

Jon (correctly) points out the amount of the uncertainty in the 2010 draft. We just don’t have all of the information. We’re 80% there, which is a big part of the 5-year period, but would you walk out on a movie at the 80% mark and do a review? Bruce has 2011 up today, and I just wanted to congratulate both on writing an exceptional, thoughtful and enjoyable group of articles about something I’m very much interested in. I was fully prepared to rip them a new one (although I consider both to be friends), but that series was a joy to read.

rishaug fayne

rishaug engelland

These two tweets (imo) represent the Oilers current state. I believe they are paying attention to advanced stats on some level, but the old ways keep pulling them back in. If the Edmonton Oilers are talking to Mark Fayne, that’s a good thing. If they’re talking to Derek Engelland as an option for the same job Fayne would fill, that’s a very strange thing.

It’s also very cool that we have this new wrinkle leading up to the draft, where we can see what a team is thinking. They might not get there, but will be shopping in the right aisles. I’m not certain the Oilers were in past years, although we would have no way to know which free agents turned them down.

Darren Dreger says the Oilers are looking for C and D, we know they’re also wing shopping. Dreger mentioned the No. 3 overall selection is in play, with Edmonton talking moving up or down. I’m not terribly worried about who they pick at No. 3, they’ll get a very good player. They could trade up for Ekblad, and that’s fine, but I’m thinking they’re going to get just as good a player at No. 3 overall as things are breaking down.

Dreger also says Sam Gagner is in play, I still think they’d take less than full value in order to get the money off the books. Based on the men they’re shopping for, Edmonton will need some extra walking around money next week. I’ve been hammering the Gagner for picks train for some time, and still think it’s possible. One player I could see Edmonton targeting with No. 3 and Gagner is Eric Staal.

rcn1rcn2RCN is a bright guy, and he’s certainly correct in his thinking. It can’t be a coincidence that Edmonton is talking to pretty much the entire list of people we like. I’d be over the moon if they caught two of those guys, even one would be an indication (like Boyd Gordon last season) the era of casting about blindly is over. I’m still fretting about the Engelland portion of the story, and of course Nikitin’s advanced stats are no screaming hell (not since 11-12, anyway).

So, I think the names I’ve presented here are indicators, tells, about just how conflicted Craig MacTavish may be during this most dangerous summer. He has his analytics and they have value—but how much does he value them? And Scott Howson clearly has his ear, he just spent $9 million of the team’s cap on a guy many Oiler fans didn’t have on the radar (we did, but I don’t think we’re all thinking one way on the Nikitin add).

I think MacT’s state of mind right now is perfectly reflected by a Dallas Eakins comment earlier this year:

DALLAS EAKINS

“I can easily stand here and argue “Yes, we need that.” We’ve got a guy back there that’s more than willing to fill the role  with Mark Fraser and, uh, one side of me says “absolutely, we need the toughness up front, we need it on our back end.  But, Mark [Spector], I… and that’s the honest to God’s truth, there’s one side of me that says: “Yes, we need to old school it and we’ve got to have those guys.” And, then there’s another side of me looking at how teams are, some other teams are building and… I’m not sure.”

And so say all of us.

We wait.

And tremble.

114 Responses to "WATCHING THE DETECTIVES"

1. soup says:

LT,

Any role for Vinnie from Philly if some of the contract is held back? Could he be the #3 guy? Long term, but could be bought out in a couple of years if the Flyers hold some.

Thoughts?

2. Jon K says:

I don’t post over at CoH because of their commenting system, but I agree wholeheartedly that the drafting series has been a brilliant read. Glad to see their hard work getting recognized.

Given the interest in Fayne (6-7 teams), I wonder if the Oilers indeed have a shot at getting him. If he is a good top 4 option who can play as a #2 (as he was with Greene in NJ), he should be able to command 4×4 from at least one of those teams. The Oilers have said they aren’t in the market for another $4mill defender, which suggests they aren’t going to seriously be in the running.

This offseason really has a sense of building momentum. It’ll be really interesting to see if MacT puts his mark on this team.

EDIT: Oops meant #2.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Speaking of 2010 and Pitlick (pictured)…

any word on the RFAs?

soup:
    LT,

Any role for Vinnie from Philly if some of the contract is held back? Could he be the #3 guy? Long term, but could be bought out in acouple of years if the Flyers hold some.

Thoughts?

Rishaug was on the 1260 morning show and said (paraphrased)

“Oilers like Fayne’s possession numbers. They want to become a better possession team.”

“Think what you will about corsi, but its become clear that its important to the Edmonton Oilers”

More baby steps.

Once the walk matches the talk there will be much less weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Also,

Was away from the Al Gore for most of yesterday so didn’t chime in on Nikitin.

My thoughts echo many others.

Short term over-pay, which is fine, actually ideal.

Not sure the player they picked was ideal.

I like Nikitin more than most because you can see a clear delineation in his WOWY splits.

For the same reason I think Jultz has way more to give. When with a reasonable partner, he isn’t drowning. Nikitin is the same.

He’s not good enough to prop up a poor partner, but I don’t think he’s a drag on a good one.

6. book¡je says:

We wait, and tremble with antici…

7. book¡je says:

Woodguy,

I think that Wowys and Corsis have reached a level equal to ‘good guy in the room’ and ‘character player’ and that ‘we really wanted him in his draft year’ is now a secondary consideration.

Baby steps

8. mumbai max says:

book¡je:
    We wait, and tremble with antici…

Let’s do the time warp…again…

9. blainer says:

The oilers have to stop chasing face punchers. If they go and get another Fraser.. Eakins will be putting his job on the line again. Chasing a guy like Fayne is the right move. Too bad they spent that money on Nikitin as they sure could have used it for the Fayne deal. Go after the possession players.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Speaking of 2010 and Pitlick (pictured)…

any word on the RFAs?

I think they must be qualified on the 29th or 30th. It’s right after the draft.

11. HallDown says:

If we could go into next season like this:

Hall Nuge Eberle
    Perron Grobovski Gagner
    Kulemin Draisaitl Yakupov
    Hendricks Gordon Arcobello

Nikitin Fayne
    Marincin Petry
    Ference Shultz

I would be elated. Not ecstatic, but elated.

Short deal for Grobovski (pun intended) like 2-3 yrs, no more than $3MM. Only taking him as rumors are him and Kulemin want a Sedin deal.

Sign Kulemin for long as possible, $3MM/4-5 years.
    4-5 yr deal for Fayne, guessing $4M per. Solid 2nd/possible 1st pairing D in his prime. Klefbom/Fayne=awesome.

I don’t know what the FA solution is for C, not much out there. I’d prefer Legwand for 2-3yrs just to buy Draisaitl time, but not sure if he’s up for 2C role and seriously doubt would come here anyway. Bolland would be the other option if he can stay healthy but he reeks like Clarkson.

12. Ca$h-Money! says:

HallDown,

Except we know Ference/Schultz is a bad mix.

13. blainer says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    HallDown,

Except we know Ference/Schultz is a bad mix.

And if we are keeping Gagner and put him on the wing we need a much bigger center than Grabo,,,

14. Hammers says:

Fayne would be a good addition but we won’t get him at 4×4 . maybe 4.5 x5 or $23 mill for 5 . The question then is would he be here that long . I still forsee 2-3 years down Petry , Marincin , Klefbom , Nurse , Schultz , ( Simpson or Gernat or Musil ) but maybe Fayne is that other “D” . Also re NN its done a 2 year deal that the player can be traded if needed in spring of 16 plus the cap is expected to keep rising .

15. Rondo says:

LT,

Have you ever looked at this guys mock draft for 7 rounds?

“This is my fifth year predicting the draft (beginning with the now defunct Hockey Herald back in 2010). That year I picked 72% of the entire class (well ahead of my sources), while in 2011 I picked 70% (again well ahead), 75% in 2012 (two points up on Red Line Report), and 69% in 2013 (tied with Hockey Prospect‘s). What follows is a continuation of the same analysis.”

16. Hammers says:

HallDown:
    If we could go into next season like this:

Hall Nuge Eberle
    PerronGrobovskiGagner
    KuleminDraisaitlYakupov
    Hendricks Gordon Arcobello

Nikitin Fayne
    MarincinPetry
    Ference Shultz

I would be elated. Not ecstatic, but elated.

Sign Kulemin for long as possible, $3MM/4-5 years.

Agree your picks would fit well but you won’t get them at those prices and Legwand would be $5×3 so a good addition but no way will we get 2 centers unless a trade happens .

17. su_dhillon says:

If Fayne is plan A and Engelland is plan B and obviously its probably not that simple but lets say that is the order then I dont really give a shit if the overpay for Fayne, Engelland isnt going to help in any way.

I agree on the baby steps comment towards using analytics I would guess they are a move or 2 bombing that the stats dont like from jumping all in, if they sign Engelland that may end up being his greatest contribution.

18. Deadman Waiting says:

I was momentarily choked at Willis in his 2010 piece.

Oh really? If you allow a sad mulligan on Kristians Pelss (removing his line entirely), the difference between actual and expected is reduced to 0.23, or about 1 part in 100 if one takes the absolute scale seriously.

That’s not below average. That’s churlishness born from frustration immemorial. Apart from that momentary brain fart (I know Willis is smarter than that on any other Sunday), the combined series has been a good one.

19. nycoil says:

I would so love it if the Oilers’ $4.5M cap hit for Nikitin had the effect of pricing Fayne and/or Stralman up to $5M, too rich for other teams’ cap plans and we scoop one or both. It would be especially sweet to take Stralman from the Rangers and watch them complain about the Oilers driving up the free agent market (after Holik, Sakic, Drury, Redden, Richards, Girardi, etc.). Actually that brings me to a good point. Girardi at 5.5m for 5 years or Nikitin at 4.5m for 2. The latter. Stralman at 5m for 5 over both, though.

20. Caramel Obvious says:

Listening to Rishaug on 1260 was disorienting. He was a completely different person. All the names were the same as here. Very strange.

On Engelland it is very clear that they don’t consider him and Fayne comparables. They want Fayne but can’t guarantee that they get him.

Engelland, on the other hand, gives them options. If he’s the 7th D that means there is less pressure to play Gazdic. So there are benefits to signing him. If they sign him it is as a depth guy at the bottom of the roster.

Deadman Waiting:
    I was momentarily choked at Willis in his 2010 piece.

Oh really?If you allow a sad mulligan on Kristians Pelss (removing his line entirely), the difference between actual and expected is reduced to 0.23, or about 1 part in 100 if one takes the absolute scale seriously.

That’s not below average.That’s churlishness born from frustration immemorial.Apart from that momentary brain fart (I know Willis is smarter than that on any other Sunday), the combined series has been a good one.

I took it to mean they’re keeping their powder dry on Marincin, which is understandable. If Marincin has a strong season, and Hall remains Hall, I would certainly call the 2010 draft a success. One of the things we do as fans is forget what we know, and I’m certainly as guilty as anyone.

History teaches us three second-round picks fetches you 1 NHL player, historically. Ladies and gentlemen: Martin Marincin.

It feels like it should have been more, but if Marincin and Pitlick emerge as useful then the 2010 draft deserves our praise. The 3 games I saw before Pitlick’s injury were promising.

5 years. It’s the right thing to do.

22. Ribs says:

Lowetide: I’m hoping they get a better player for the role. He had a putrid season by Corsi and by EV scoring, major dip in production. He should rebound, he isn’t 90, but I think that money could be better spent.

He came back early from a non-displaced back fracture and then had the coach move him to wing when he didn’t have a place for him. Sounds like a rough season all around for Vinny.

23. slopitch says:

Schadenfreude – pleasure in the misfortune of others. Thought of it when you mentioned Bruce getting frustrated. Love that word.

@agrabia last night tweeted out Oilers UFA hires since 2007. The list is depressing.

Tarnstrom, Garon, Souray, Penner, Strudwick, Khabibulin, Comrie, Foster, MacIntyre, Gerber, Barker, Hordichuk, Eager, Belanger, Potter, Green, Danis, Ference, Gordon, Labarbera, Joensuu, Acton

Add Nylander and Heatley to the list and it doesnt look much better. Vanek and Hossa were the only good targets.

I’m not overly optimistic that anyone useful will sign here without major overpays ala NN. I kinda hope they sign no one until July 5th. That being said, they do appear to be more involved with analytics and that should mean better choices.

I think most of the good additions will be through trade. One guy available that Id take back is Brodziak.

Spitballing, but if Ekblad slips to 3 (ie Florida moves the pick), we could run.

4-93-14
    57-2C-64
    3LW-Brodziak-Gagner
    Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick

Petry-Marincin
    NN-Schultz
    Ferance-Ekblad
    Klefbom

Gagner is miscast and the top d pairing is still a mess. Grabovski and Kulimen would fit well. If thats the case, I think you dump Gagner for picks and over pay Fayne and slot Lander on 3RW. Long term, Klefbom, Nurse and co steal the jobs but you have guys in place to help their development.

Holy shit there is work to be done. I’d love to see MacT’s white board of scenarios. If X signs,we can afford to trade Y for Z. Other wise …. if we get Draisatl, then we could use Gagner on his wing ect ect ect. I’m still torn on Ekblad vs LD, I want both as they address such glaring needs long term. Neither are major factors on next years roster.

24. admiralmark says:

I’m not so bothered by the Eakins quote. I think he is making a general statement about a teams need to have toughness in the lineup in some way shape or form. In the Western conference who can really argue with that? The examples of successful teams that are doing it are clearly doing are out there for all to see. LA just resigned Matt Greene… They won the Cup. Any questions?

25. rickithebear says:

Lt: you are confused.

the old-old way made them chase Fayne:
    physical Dmen.who keep players to the perimeter.

the old way made them regect
    looked at corsi. ( a baseline moment in time stat)
    but
    (corsi-(blocks+misses) * (1.00-save%) = goals

Corsi really does not cover alot of the affect.

Thensome one with common sense said.
    There must be a reason to the classsic trite sayings.
    Goals is the end game.
    Lets get as many good EVGA/60 Dmen.

What do they have in common.

Holy crap they defend the box.
    and play physica lwith the oposition into low probabilty shots.

that trite goalie out has merit to it.

Good thing we are chasing a dman who generates top 10 EVGA/60 when facing 2nd comp.

26. nycoil says:

slopitch,

Schadenfreude from Avenue Q is also one of the best Broadway songs ever, in my opinion. Ha ha. Dare you to watch this clip and not be humming it the rest of the day.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I think they must be qualified on the 29th or 30th. It’s right after the draft.

What the rationale for waiting here?

It’s not a complicated negotiation I imagine. The players don’t hold any cards here. One team controls their rights until they don’t want them anymore. And, they can’t command any real salary.

The only question, I’d guess is if the oil want them or not for another year.

I can’t imagine them adding enough players via UFA or trade to change that thought process much.

I’m just curious if anyone can explain why they would wait.

Romulus Apotheosis: What the rationale for waiting here?

The only question, I’d guess is if the oil want them or not for another year.

I’m just curious if anyone can explain why they would wait.

Names could be in play, or the club may alter their offers based on how the shopping goes at the draft.

29. OilClog says:

Vinny will be an Oiler.

30. Pouzar says:

Leon Draisaitl has emerged as a hot prospect heading into Friday’s NHL Entry Draft.

Some teams reportedly have him as high as No. 2 on their draft boards. “It’s an exciting time, really exciting,” said the German-born forward, who can play center or the wing. “It’s always been my goal to play in the NHL one day and I’m close. I’m not there yet and I know I have a lot of work in front of me, but it’s kind of surreal so far. I’ll be extremely proud and honored because we’ve had some high picks. To be considered as maybe the highest drafted German player so far would be a huge honor.”

Source: Buffalo News

Jun 26 – 10:24 AM

31. El Duderino says:

“Ect” = electro convulsive therapy

32. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

A scenario to ponder.

1. Oilers feel they have a good shot at Fayne or Stralman.
    2. Ekblad falls past the first two (which I think is likely)

The isles have stated they are seeking a top 4 for their pick. Considering the above scenario would anyone consider trading Petry + a pick for 5OV. Then Oil can draft Ekblad and their German wonder (who doesn’t seem like a Burke target).

With Stralman or Fayne the sting of losing Petry is lessened and it sets the team up great for 2015. Not sure if Snow would do it but it’s hard to predict crazy combined with desperate.

33. mumbai max says:

How about Buff and Kane for #3OV and Eberle or Perron. Any takers?

34. nycoil says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

960 AM Radio in Calgary now all of a sudden saying Calgary looking to trade with Buffalo to move up to #2 to take Draisaitl ahead of Edmonton. Now that could just be Burke messing with MacTavish, but…

nycoil:
    till_horcoff_is_coach,

THIS IS WHY YOU DON’T TELL JIM MATHESON ANYTHING!!!

36. haters says:

If the oilers draft ekblad dosent that make getting fayne or Engllend redundant ? Since Ekblad would most likely be better at the 5-6 spot with Ferance ? Or am I wrong. I think who we draft will determine the free agents we go after … I’m so excited for fri ! Come on Bennett :))) :$$$

37. rickithebear says:

Hall-RNH-Eberle 1250 FO 41.4% 518 wins 732 losses.
    jesus i thought we were concerned about Pocession. (corsi)

Oh the how doesn’t mater.
    Just as long as we can say.
    look at that corsi
    That is bad.

38. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: THIS IS WHY YOU DON’T TELL JIM MATHESON ANYTHING!!!

True.

At the same time, the Oilers pick ahead of the Flames and there is nothing they can do to stop the Sabres and Flames from talking.

I don’t think Murray is interested in moving down, at least not in exchange for anyone Burke and Treliving are willing to offer.

The Flames are rattling the cage. If they can be seen talking to Murray and leak something about Draisaitl maybe they can convince the Oilers to give up an asset to move up out of fear that their prized prospect gets picked up elsewhere.

It is a very Sather thing to do. Don’t just make your team better, see if you can’t convince your opponents to do something stupid at the same time.

39. rickithebear says:

If draisatl goes:
    were ever will we get large skilled Centers who have shown clear signs
    of potential difference makers in NHL.
    oh say playing against
    Other teams best in AHL
    or
    having elite production numbers in RSL/KHL
    relative to NHL peers.

Woe is us!

40. RexLibris says:

I think Reinhart is a Flame by the end of Friday. He’s also very likely playing in Calgary next season if they select him.

41. wheatnoil says:

haters:

The hope is that it doesn’t. A right side of Petry-Fayne-Schultz would constitute 3 actual NHL defenseman on that side. Ekblad would have to show really well to actually make the team in that situation (unless they move someone to the left side, which they could do). There’s no guarantee that Ekblad will be NHL ready. Look at Larsson… also the top ranked D-man in his draft year, could have gone 1st overall, yet in his last year of his entry level deal, he’s spent most of the year in the NHL. Not every team has a Shea Weber to ease a rookie into the NHL and the Oilers certainly don’t.

An addition of Fayne or (dare to dream) Stralman on the right side allows the Oilers to go slow with Ekblad, put him back in junior for another year or two. That way, he’ll be coming into the NHL right when Petry and Schultz’s potential bridge deals are expiring, which would be excellent timing.

42. OilFire says:

rickithebear:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle 1250 FO 41.4% 518 wins732 losses.
    jesus i thought we were concerned about Pocession. (corsi)

Oh the how doesn’t mater.
    Just as long as we can say.
    look at that corsi
    That is bad.

Ricki!!!!! For the sake of all that is holy in this world, please stop spelling it “Pocession” ! There’s no goddamned c in that word!! Nobody expects you to be a high-school english teacher in spelling, but for god’s sake man, you don’t help your cause when you misspell a common word you use in half your posts. I keep thinking you’re talking about Pokemon…

43. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris:

I think the entire top 4 is playing in the NHL next season, even Bennett, no matter who drafts them, even if it would be better if they didn’t. None of the top 4 teams picking have enough depth not to.

44. Hammers says:

Just heard from Buffalo (friend ) They are going for Draisaitl not Bennet . Combine effect . Also said #1 to Vancouver ( one of there “D” + pick .) So Reinhart local boy will be first pick . . All of a sudden Ekblad may fall to Oil or they could trade him . Rumors are really going to heat up in the next day .

45. Oiler fan says:

nycoil:

This!! All day!!
    This would be the smartest GM move I have ever seen in my life. And it wouldn’t surprise me. (I think MacT has been the best thing since sliced bread for the oilers)
    Think about it.
    You drive the whole market up surrounding the players you want on your team, full well knowing that their current teams can’t afford to sign them for that much money.
    But you can….you’ve got lots of cap space.
    And maybe MacT knows that the few teams that can afford those contracts are trying to fill separate needs, thus, competition just got way smaller. These GM’s talk all the time, its not far fetched that MacT knows what the teams with cap space are looking for.
    Being as we needed to overpay anyway, and that was probably the plan all along,why not get all the fish with dynamite.
    MacT, if this is the case, then my opinion is that the city needs to name a street after you. We shall call it “silver fox way”

46. rickithebear says:

mumbai max:
    How about Buff and Kane for #3OV and Eberle or Perron. Any takers?

Do you remeber how many Even lines can score 3.35 GF/60 to break even on GD.

47. raventalon40 says:

Oiler fan: This!! All day!!
    Think about it.
    But you can….you’ve got lots of cap space.

Kevin Lowe invented this method. Drive the price up enough to cover future free agent years and inflation and league growth (Vanek), but not overpriced so much so that the team can’t afford to pay the player as their play declines (Redden).

Timing is also crucial as hell! (see Penner)

48. Deadman Waiting says:

I obtained Competing on Analytics: The New Science of Winning (which someone helpfully mentioned in a previous thread) and took a boo just now.

I don’t know what it is about business books, but 90% of all business books feel like you’ve in the pews at a Pentecostal church on Sunday morning all bright and shiny to hear a familiar sermon larded with three shallow references to recent events, just to keep it fresh. In the next-to-Godliness department, cleanliness and repetition are in a dead heat. Not that this has ever been a secret.

Zen trainee

But instead, every morning of the first three months of my stay, my heart sank: I was dispatched to clean the public toilets. It was boring, it smelled, it had no status whatsoever, and it was really hard work.

Of course, there was a happy ending: she achieves happy scrubbing-bubble enlightenment.

In this book, the first page after the table of contents is the Foreword. This is an encomium credited to Gary Loveman (three-cheese Big Cheese, Harrah’s Entertainment) with the ring of a career business consultant cashing a major chip, for the win:

To take perhaps the easiest and biggest opportunity in my tenure, we found that a ten-basis-point movement of slot pricing toward the estimated demand curve for a given game could enhance our profitability by an eight-figure amount and be unobservable to the guest. [Chorus line leg kick.]

For what value of unobservable? I can smell this kind of outfit two brochures down the street. Master of the House, two percent for looking in the mirror twice. But perhaps that’s just me. Perhaps I’m the only astute consumer who has noticed the ever-so-subtle shift in airline business models.

What I’ve observed change in my own behaviour since the analytics revolution is that I now write off favourite products in a heartbeat, at the first whiff of decline. My first instinct on any product change is that they’ve added more velvety cat liver, fructose, and soy.

Recently my local Costco substituted 4-year-old Balderson cheddar where they used to sell 5-year-old Balderson cheddar. I can definitely taste the difference. What I found with the 5-year-old is that within a week of opening the package, it acquired a slightly harsh edge (which I didn’t mind, and seem to enhance its punch when cooked). I haven’t noticed this as much with the 4-year-old version, which has less flavour to begin with. I’m dithering precipitously on whether this remains a favoured consumption good. So much for loyalty, if it ever existed: your “unobservable” analytics have trained me well in the black art of bridge-contract consumerism.

Of course, this book was published in 2007. That was before Occupy Wall Street stormed the Bastille to no great effect after what no-one had noticed became the largest TARP since Karlheinz Schreiber’s original background check.

The index is also hit and miss. It mentions Dell (miss), but not Toyota (hit). From the book:

For example, during the last recession, Dell executives used predictive models to recognize months before their competitors how thoroughly sales were going to soften.

In 2013, Dell went through a massive buyout to take it private under existing management, so as to go through the kind of harsh restructuring that doesn’t feed the street a long succession of rosy quarterly earnings reports. From Wikipedia:

After the buyout the newly private Dell offered a Voluntary Separation Programme that they expected to reduce their workforce by up to seven percent. The reception to the program so exceeded the expectations that Dell may be forced to hire new staff to make up for the losses.

Analytics, anyone?

49. slopitch says:

nycoil,

Classic. Saw that play in NYC about 5 years ago now.

I just dont know who to believe anymore. Im just gonna sit down, have a beer and watch the damn thing.

50. frjohnk says:

The oilers have done extremely well so far in the 2014 draft

#3 overall -To Be Determined
    #33 overall DAVID PERRON
    #63 overall BEN SCRIVENS
    #91 overall TBD
    #111 overall TBD
    #130 overall TBD
    #137 overall NIKITA NIKITAN
    #153 overall TBD
    #183 overall TBD

I wonder if they add any more guys that can play next year in the NHL, maybe the 3rd pick?

51. Yak2 says:

I want Grabo & Kulemin

52. thejonrmcleod says:

frjohnk:
    The oilers have done extremely well so far in the 2014 draft

#3 overall -To Be Determined
    #33 overall DAVID PERRON
    #63 overall BEN SCRIVENS
    #91 overall TBD
    #111 overall TBD
    #130 overall TBD
    #137 overall NIKITA NIKITAN
    #153 overall TBD
    #183 overall TBD

The Oilers didn’t really get Perron for the 33rd pick. They also gave up the 10th overall pick in the 2009 draft.

frjohnk:
    The oilers have done extremely well so far in the 2014 draft

#3 overall -To Be Determined
    #33 overall DAVID PERRON
    #63 overall BEN SCRIVENS
    #91 overall TBD
    #111 overall TBD
    #130 overall TBD
    #137 overall NIKITA NIKITAN
    #153 overall TBD
    #183 overall TBD

I think that’s exactly the way to look at it. MacT is using assets—picks, money—to address need. I’d still like a 3rd round pick for Dancs though.

54. Pouzar says:

Those were good times.

GMillerTSN: @TSNBobMcKenzie @CraigJButton I will never forget the panicked look on our faces when Edm took Jesse Niinmaki in the first round in ’02.

55. Andy P says:

My fear of choosing between the two new Sams to replace the existing Sam seems very real right now. I like the taller Sam over the one that cant do chin-ups but think the demoralized Sam may surprise us under good coaching if given the chance.

Given that Aaron and Leon now look like the 1-2 picks. Who knows, maybe the silver fox wants Sam after all.

56. frjohnk says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    ICYMI yesterday, my draft ranking 1-10

Very in depth article. While some will not agree with some of your rankings ( me included), I understand why you ranked the players where you did with this quote.

“For the most part, I’ve relied upon even strength scoring and NHLEs to guide my judgment as I believe they are strong, objective indicators of future NHL success.”

Great stuff. I love seeing different angles.

Keep em coming.

57. Caramel Obvious says:

If Bennett falls to #3 the Oilers better f’N take him. That is all.

I want the Flames or the Canucks to trade up. It will make their team worse. And that is good.

If Bennett and Draisatl both fall to three I still want Bennett but I won’t cry.

58. Pouzar says:

@Sun_Tychkowski·37 secs

59. haters says:

wheatnoil,

I hope Bennett or Draisalt fall to the oilers and it’s not an issue. But if it is Ekblad has the size and skill to start on the third pairing and work his way up the depth chart IMO

60. lance says:

I wonder if “analytics” is the new fung shui. Its very possible that the aristocracy of hockey is en masse trying to sound progressive while having never actually shut off the saw-em-good valve. Old habits el all.

The proof of verbals will be in the roster. NN is not evidence that advanced stats have any bearing on decision making yet.

Regarding the whole application of analytics to roster make up (beyond verbals) I don’t yet see.

61. ashley says:

Hammers:
    Just heard from Buffalo (friend ) They are going for Draisaitl not Bennet . Combine effect . Also said #1 to Vancouver( one of there “D” + pick .) So Reinhart local boy will be first pick . . All of a sudden Ekblad may fall to Oil or they could trade him . Rumors are really going to heat up in the next day .

If true, this would be remarkable good fortune for the Oilers. The 2 best players in the draft to choose from at #3. I suspect their phone would be ringing off the hook prior to the pick with all kinds of trade proposals. It would be like having #1OV. Which makes me think it is too good to be true.

Burke is playing games. He’s not picking Draisatl unless all 3 of Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad are gone. He wants one of those 3 to fall to him. If he can convince the Oilers that the Flames covet Draisatl, then one of the big 3 falls to them. A clever strategy from from a smart hockey man.

62. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:

Thank Gord.

Needs at C far outweigh those at D that can be resolved at the draft.

Even if the Oilers are trading the 3rd overall, it likely doesn’t get them that franchise blueliner who can play the next eight years that we covet.

63. RexLibris says:

Deadman Waiting,

I had mentioned the Analytics book.

I try to remain open minded about business psychology books as sometimes they can provide an interesting window into a hyper-competitive world, but too often I find myself sickened by the false premises, sycophantic platitudes, and flavour-of-the-month idolatry at whichever corporation happens to be doing well at the time of writing.

Haven’t read the book and I don’t intend to, but the concept was one that I had mentioned as being something I would hope sports management types would investigate.

64. CurtisS says:

Am I the only one that will be angry if we dont throw a massive amount of money at Iginla??

Isnt he exactly what we need?

65. su_dhillon says:

MacT mentioned Grabo in his media scrum today as bringing good elements to the Caps. then didnt say no when asked if they would be interested in him. May not mean anything but at least we are hearing the right names this year. Progress!

66. RexLibris says:

CurtisS:

Isnt he exactly what we need?

What the Oilers need is a top 4 D with more than 300 NHL gp and an ability to move the puck quickly and efficiently out of the zone, a second line C to help remove some pressure on Nugent-Hopkins, and at least one, if not two, wingers to play the third line and provide some offense.

Iginla has to play 1st or 2nd line RW, and with Hall, Yakupov, Eberle and Perron, the roster spots there are crowded with younger options.

67. Pouzar says:

Stauffer saying the upcoming Ramsay interview will be “music to some fans ears”.

68. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:

What about those that are tone deaf?

69. Andy P says:

Pouzar:

Talk is cheap.

70. RexLibris says:

Toews and Kane asking for $12 million a year each, according to Stauffer.

Ouch. Let’s see how Bowman jr. handles this one.

71. thejonrmcleod says:

I think I’m actually a little more excited about tonight’s NBA Draft. I’m a Sixers fan, and they also have the 3rd overall pick. Seems like most Sixers fans want the Canadian Wiggins. I don’t follow the Sixers as closely as the Oilers, but their GM seems like a smart guy.

72. Kitchener says:

Refresh. Refresh. Refresh.

Will the Toews & Kane rumours finally silence the Eberle contract grumps?

73. RexLibris says:

Ramsay seems to echo the possession narrative we’ve heard from Eakins.

74. Pouzar says:

Kitchener: Refresh. Refresh. Refresh.Will the Toews & Kane rumours finally silence the Eberle contract grumps?

Thank you. I didn’t want to be the first.

75. su_dhillon says:

thejonrmcleod,

Sam Heinke is everything you want in the new NBA, loved what he did at last years draft. By all accounts he is definitely in love with Wiggins the big question is if he is willing to give up #3 and #10 seems like thats what Cavs are asking for.

So the Oilers’ old boy network blabbermouth to Matheson has Burke and Murray playing games.

Neither Burke nor Murray want Draisaitl. Burke and Murray have a mutual interest in getting MacT to offer something to Murray, so Burke will get one of Ekblad, Bennett, or Reinhart at #4, and Murray can get the guy he really wants at #3, plus whatever he is able to extort from MacT to move up to #2 and pick Draisaitl.

Can the Kingsway boys please shut the eff up.

#2 and #4 ganging up to try to take advantage of the big mouth picking #3.

The Oilers PR campaign to make Draisaitl an acceptable pick at #3 instead of the best player available may backfire.

Team Bennett

77. nycoil says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 59s
    Around 10 teams showed interest so far to Benoit Pouliot. He’s looking for a long term contract and he will get it.

78. Death By Misadventure says:

Pouzar: @Sun_Tychkowski·37 secsMacTavish says Oilers aren’t especially interested in trading up to first anymore. They believe the need at centre trumps the need on D

79. Kitchener says:

godot10,

If MBS & co have Sam/Sam #1 on their list, the Draisatl smoke screen has been expertly played.

80. RexLibris says:

nycoil:
    Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 59s

Good.

Look everyone, there’s Benoit Pouliot!!!!!

Quick, Kulemin, sign here on the dotted line. :)

81. RexLibris says:

Great story by James Duthie here http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455718 about a draft eligible kid we’ll never get to see. Evan Frustaglio, died age 13 due to H1N1.

82. Ribs says:

Death By Misadventure: I wonder how Sam Gagner feels about this. It pretty much says Marincin/Klef/Nurse > Sam G.

It’s okay. Gagner’s a winger now. *hope*

83. Jordan says:

Ribs: It’s okay. Gagner’s a winger now. *hope*

Yakupov must cry himself to sleep at night.

2012 – I’m the best RW in the CHL!
    2013 – I’m the 2nd best LW on one of the worst teams in the NHL. S***.
    2014 – I’m the 3rd best RW on one of the worst teams in the NHL. S***.
    2015 – They trade away Hemsky, and now Gagner is a winger? F***!!!

84. RexLibris says:

Listening to Stauffer’s interview with the Jets’ media member – can we just get to tomorrow night and pick Draisaitl already. Cripes, the waiting is killing me.

85. Kitchener says:

Jordan,

2014, July – I’m 1RW for Florida/Buffalo/NYI !

I’m not advocating a trade, but the crickets when the Oil core is mentioned is deafening.

86. Death By Misadventure says:

Ribs,

Ha. I forgot. The roster has been set and Gagner penned in at RW. :)

Either way, as much as Oilers may want to get rid of Sam G and his cap hit, I can’t imagine why Sam G would want to stay if he can’t play his natural position. Especially if the replacement for his services is an 18 year old kid from Germany.

In any case, fun speculating.

While I’m add it, Yakupov scores 42 goals next year and Eakins is deemed a genius by fan and media alike.

87. Lois Lowe says:

Kitchener,

I am actually pretty confident in MBS’ ability to choose BPA at 3. He’s been very risk averse with his first picks, and I still believe that Yak is going to be a major contributor.

88. Ribs says:

Jordan,

Competition for ice time is a normal thing for most teams.

89. Death By Misadventure says:

Lois Lowe: I still believe that Yak is going to be a major contributor.

Yaku will score 42 goals next year.

Book it!

(Did I do that right?)

90. Oiler fan says:

CurtisS:

Isnt he exactly what we need?

If you were Iginla, would you come to a team that won’t have a real shot at the cup before you retire?
    Why do you think he keeps signing one year at a time contracts?
    Why do I see so many comments on different boards suggesting we should go for Iginla?
    Why do I keep seeing these suggestions about Iginla?
    Does anyone really think he’s going to sign here after playing in CALGARY for that long??
    To play a stop-gap/mentor role???
    And just forget all about that little childhood dream of winning the cup?

Cmon guys really now.

91. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Good.Look everyone, there’s Benoit Pouliot!!!!!Quick, Kulemin, sign here on the dotted line.

THIS.

92. Kitchener says:

When do we start the Dustin Penner rumors? After we draft a Sam and need more ‘cakes in the top 9?

93. rickithebear says:

Sam knows Mact thinks he is a Winger.
    Gagner already talked with cobgliano re this!

94. Lynas1 says:

Any news on a guy like Fedun? I’m a fan, but the longer it goes in, the more I’m convinced he’s out..

95. wheatnoil says:

Bettman says the salary cap for next season should be released Friday. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher says he expects it to be high 60's to low70's— Brent Wallace (@tsn_wally) June 26, 2014

Dale Tallon is telling gm's he has 1 really good offer for 1st pick overall. Not sure he's going to take it. Other so-so offers as well.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 26, 2014

Trade senses are on high alert. Starting to sound like Kesler deal is inching closer. Still working on destination, but next 24hrs, perhaps.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 26, 2014

Man… this has the potential to be either the most exciting draft day in awhile or the most over-hyped draft day in awhile!

96. Rondo says:

wheatnoil,

People talk about how bad Gagner is, take a look at how many points Kesler got in the 2nd half of the season 2014. specifically assists.

Lynas1:

Any news on a guy like Fedun?I’m a fan, but the longer it goes in, the more I’m convinced he’s out..

I wouldn’t expect him back.

98. OilClog says:

Would the Oilers go after Jerome for the 3rd line, fill in top 6 when needed. I think it would be a brilliant addition, which could turn out horribly.. But still.

99. Ca$h-Money! says:

OilClog:

… seriously? Why would he come here? He wants to win a cup, plus Boston is trying to pay him big $$$ to play on their top line… so how much do we pay him to move from the best team in the east to the worst team in the west, and to move from 1 RW to 3 RW.

Seriously… like $15/m per year?

100. OilClog says:

Ca$h-Money!: …seriously?Why would he come here?He wants to win a cup, plus Boston is trying to pay him big $$$ to play on their top line…so how much do we pay him to move from the best team in the east to the worst team in the west, and to move from 1 RW to 3 RW.

Seriously…like $15/m per year?

I take it you’re not very up to date with the current daily news..

Due to the bonuses that Iginla received for performance has put the bruins in a situation where Iginla is going to have to take LESS MONEY then last season..

So A.

Iginla is available, why wouldn’t you want him?

Why can’t we win next year? Fuck

B. Boston needs to sell some quality off for nothing if they really want Iginla back.. Boston never brought Jerome in thinking he would end up on the first line, it was a surprise he still had the tank. Sportsnet just spent an entire segment on the issue..

101. jb says:

Only the fans have decided Drasaitl is the pick… based on size.

102. raventalon40 says:

Nail Yakupov+ for Evander Kane+

103. wheatnoil says:

Rondo,

I wasn’t meaning to make a comment on Kesler’s ability, but he will likely command a lot in a trade. My point was only that there a lot of trades being hyped, including some big names and the potential of the first overall being moved, plus the salary cap being announced which may be a couple million higher than expected which may effect whether some free agents get resigned or are let go on July 1st. That could lead to an exciting draft day!

jb:
    Only the fans have decided Drasaitl is the pick… based on size.

Once again not true, but rail on.

105. Marc says:

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 35m

BREAKING: #stlblues announce a three-year contract extension for Patrik Berglund.

Suggests that they’re out of the Spezza/Kesler/Thornton hunt, no?

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 27m
    Oilers met with reps from Petry and Schultz camp today to continue talks on new contracts.

107. Ribs says:

For those wondering…

Ryan RishaugVerified account
    ‏@TSNRyanRishaug

108. Ca$h-Money! says:

OilClog: I take it you’re not very up to date with the current daily news..

So A.

Iginla is available, why wouldn’t you want him?

Why can’t we win next year? Fuck

I get why the Oil would go after him, I don’t see any way he decides to come here. He left Calgary to win a cup. He was playing 1RW on the best team in the east last year, scored lots of goals, showed he still has plenty in the tank. Why in god’s name would he leave that to come play 3RW on the worst team in the league, as you have suggested, is my question.

The Bs are trying to find a way to fit him in, including trading Marchand/Boychuck… if they don’t he will have options that don’t include Edmonton, which wouldn’t kill his legacy in Calgary, which would allow him a shot at the cup.

Seriously, the amount we would have to throw at him would be INSANE. I get wanting to win, you seem to be suggesting I don’t want to go whale hunting; that’s not the case. I do, however, think you are forgetting that there are 2 parties in these negotiations, and I don’t see any reason why he would want to come here.

book¡je:
    Woodguy,

Baby steps

rickithebear:
    Lt: you are confused.

the old-old way made them chase Fayne:
    physical Dmen.who keep players to the perimeter.

the old way made them regect
    looked at corsi. ( a baseline moment in time stat)
    but
    (corsi-(blocks+misses) * (1.00-save%) = goals

Corsi really does not cover alot of the affect.

Thensome one with common sense said.
    There must be a reason to the classsic trite sayings.
    Goals is the end game.
    Lets get as many good EVGA/60 Dmen.

What do they have in common.

Holy crap they defend the box.
    and playphysica lwiththe oposition into low probabilty shots.

that trite goalie out has merit to it.

I think you should change your handle to “John The Baptist” because you are one lone voice calling out in the wilderness.

111. stupendousman says:

Lots of concern about a potential Engelland signing, I see. If the Oilers seem to be targeting a lot of players the analytics crowd like, I think they can also be trusted to use Engelland only sparingly (if they sign him). The Oilers’ decision to dress “facepunchers” (hate that term, by the way) is not the reason they’ve been perpetually near the bottom of the standings lately. These guys tend to be used in limited and relatively unimportant minutes. Sure, they don’t advance the possession cause — but NHL teams are also in the business of entertainment, not just winning. The only thing fans hate worse than a perpetual loser is a perpetual loser that doesn’t have the ability to stand up for itself. If we’re looking at another bottom-5 finish come mid-season, I’d more than welcome a legitimate fighting tandem of Gazdic and Engelland on the roster to at least keep things interesting. I think this exchange from the movie “Gladiator” about the emperor’s decision to re-introduce gladiator contests captures the mindset of NHL coaches and GMs when they dress these guys:

Gracchus: Fear and wonder, a powerful combination.
    Gaius: You really think people are going to be seduced by that?
    Gracchus: I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they’ll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they’ll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it’s the sand of the coliseum. He’ll bring them death… and they will love him for it.

112. book¡je says:

Woodguy: “He’s got great WOWY in the room and we tried to move up and draft his corsi in his draft year.”

My greatest fear is that this is what McKatzalowetaveakinsish sounds like in the war room!