WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Craig MacTavish said a very interesting thing today, and I do believe it reflects the Oilers’ thinking in regard to next season. Here’s the quote:

mact on nurse

This is why I didn’t believe MacT earlier in the spring when he talked about forcing everyone down the lineup. You can SAY those things, but the leaves turn and everything changes. I sincerely believe this is what we’ll be looking at this fall: more Nurse and Klefbom and Marincin (and Draisaitl), and less this patience stuff. I’m not saying it’s wise, but it is Oilers.

For those who don’t recall, allow me to refer you to Terry Jones recent article, which stated:

• MacT: “We’re not going to compromise our young prospects on defence,” he said of forcing the likes of Darnell Nurse, Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, etc. into the line-up until they are ready. “We’d rather they played in the American Hockey League or junior.”

I wrote about it here. In that article, I said the following:

• Prospects don’t develop in a straight line, and maybe Martin Marincin arrives at camp looking like a rookie pro. I don’t think it’s likely, and I can’t imagine Dallas Eakins giving up his big defenseman—unless the Oilers plan on grabbing two LH defensemen who are in fact better and have more experience. The bottom line is this: It’s all well and good to say you’re sending the kids back to the American League, but when they’re performing better than your veterans it’s a tough sell. I can’t imagine a scenario where a healthy and effective Marincin sees the AHL next season, and the same is basically true for Klefbom (although he could start there again, depending on the summer). And Nurse? We’ll see. A lot of things get said in June, it’s a lot different when the rubber hits the road

RECENT QUOTES ON NURSE

• Michael Parkatti: “All you can really ask of your prospects is that they progress. I think it’s pretty obvious he progressed year over year. It’s probably a function of the opportunity he was given, he was playing behind some older players during his draft season. It’s good to see that he performed pretty well when given the chance. In terms of his chances, you have to look at the depth chart and think he has a shot here.”
  • SSM GM Kyle Dubas: “People get obsessed with Darnell’s plus/minus (plus-1, down from plus-15 the year prior), but his underlying numbers are excellent. Relative to the competition he plays [against], he does extremely well. Far greater than 50 percent of the time, the puck is not in our end. To me, it doesn’t get much bigger than that. If we’re taking the other team’s best players and forcing them to play in their end and away from the puck, that’s a successful day. The quality of competition he’s faced is higher than anyone else in our league, especially among defencemen.
  • Ryan Dittrick: Averaging more than 27 minutes per game against the opposition’s best players, “with no exceptions,” night after night in all situations? “That’s Darnell,” Dubas says. “There are no shifts off.” He’s been a force, an absolute brute on the Soo blueline.

(Nurse photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

116 Responses to "WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?"

1. Rondo says:

LT,

If you had a do over would you pick Darnell Nurse at # 7 again.

Rondo:
    LT,

If you had a do over would you pick Darnell Nurse at # 7 again.

I think he’s a solid pick. As you may know, I had both Nichushkin and the Finn D ahead of him.

I understand Nichushkin had a wonderful season, but Nurse did too, in a different league. I absolutely believe you need 5 seasons to assess any draft, and do in this case too. Nurse looks good from here, but it’s way too soon to tell.

3. Rondo says:

I don’t think you can ask anything more from Nurse so far. He seems so hungry to get better. I think that is what they liked about him. Pure passion

4. nqmt says:

LT, do you think MacT is just putting a carrot in front of these prospects with these comments? If they just believe that they’re gonna go straight back to junior no matter what, they won’t push themselves? I’m just trying to view this from a different angle

5. Racki says:

My guess is that MacT’s newest statement loosely translates to “god damn it, things aren’t going well with trade negotiations right now, and there’s likely to be too much competition for free agency.. so let’s prepare the fans for worst case scenario now, just in case”.

“Uhm.. ahem… the uh… young up and coming D.. we’d love for them to fight their way into the lineup to start the year!”

I’m just being cynical though. It’s a little early probably to really gauge whether he can fix the teams probs via trade, let alone free agency.

6. Ribs says:

So, about this McDavid kid…

7. Melman says:

nqmt:
    LT, do you think MacT is just putting a carrot in front of these prospects with these comments?If they just believe that they’re gonna go straight back to junior no matter what, they won’t push themselves? I’m just trying to view this from a different angle

That was my thought too. You can’t (shouldn’t anyway) make the team in June but by the same token it’s hard to tell your young picks that no matter what you do in camp you can’t make the team. Perhaps this quote stems from some reflection or comments following his earlier article with Jones. Heck maybe Moroz comes in and establishes himself as the best option as 4th line wing. Pick your team on merit.

8. Racki says:

nqmt:

I can definitely see this, that’s a pretty good point.

nqmt:

10. RexLibris says:

Ribs:
    So, about this McDavid kid…

Speculation is that the Oilers, Islanders and Panthers are on that list.

Gallows humour. It may not always be pretty, but it helps.

On another note, if Cameroon can make it to the World Cup and put in a performance like they did today, why can’t Canada get a shot?!

11. nycoil says:

Lowetide: Maybe, I can see that. Frankly, I would bet money now that if he plays well enough Nurse stays for 9 games. Even if it means sending Klefbom down for a time.

Yup, need to give the youngsters incentive to work hard this summer. I’m OK with 9 games for Nurse and 9 games only. Show him what’s required and then send him down. I want Klef playing 27 minutes a night in OKC until at least Christmas. Why? Injury history and also because it means the Oilers have actually acquired some better players to push everyone down the depth chart.

Doug Maclean (not sure how connected he is these days) said Thornton wants to go to NYR, but may not waive his NMC for other destinations. Please let that be true and the Rangers make the splash. If the Rangers take on his salary in place of Richards’, as long as the Rogers TV deal scuttlebutt doesn’t come through this year, there won’t be money for Stralman.

12. Loweblow says:

Baron fans will tell you Nurse is not close to being ready, Gernat, Davidson, and Musil are better options right now. Just because he was drafted higher doesn’t mean you play him, you have to earn that right. In the games Nurse played in the AHL, outside 4on4, Nurse was clearly not ready. His D game is severely lacking, and needs to add 30lbs, was getting beat up in the corners losing battles and knocked to his butt. Looking at how young the Oilers D is how can anyone believe Nurse would even play one regular NHL game this season.

13. abpotato says:

LT,

Do you think the Oilers should consider Zach Redmond out of Winnipeg? He’s a UFA IV, looked good before an injury last year and just had a strong showing in the AHL playoffs.

14. RexLibris says:

I’d like to see the rookie blue depth chart be Marincin/Fedun/Klefbom for the beginning of next season.

I’d also like to see an Iran/U.S. bi-partisan relationship that respects relative geopolitical spheres, a shared history, and an agreement that imperialistic agendas, past and present, are avowed and avoided.

I expect to be disappointed.

15. Clay says:

Loweblow:

That may be true of good teams, and it is the way it should be, but it is not the way the Oilers do it.

Loweblow:

All true. Spring AHL playoff games are a tough measure, though. Nurse will come to camp, get a rocking chair partner and we’ll see. I’m not arguing this is the right track, would argue the opposite. I’m suggesting the reality.

17. admiralmark says:

Loweblow says:

Source? I watched 8 OKC games at season end(2 live games in Abbotsford) and I would say Nurse easily outplayed Gernat and Musil in those games. I will admit i’m not a professional scout but that was my personal impression. Musil particularly stood out to me as not having the tools for an NHL player.

18. hags9k says:

I’ve always known in my heart of hearts that both the 3 and Nurse will be on Rexall ice opening night. It is a very unpopular decision to rush them, but as LT said, last I checked this is still the Oilers.

19. stevezie says:

“This is why I didn’t believe MacT earlier in the spring…” I’ll take that statement and expand it to “ever”.

We’ll see what he does. I think there are some easy and obvious moves that could move this team up to “in the mix”. The Grabbo-Kulemin combo, for example. If MacT goes into the season with the youth movement- again- he makes it clear that either “in the mix for the playoffs” isn’t good enough for him/ he cares less about winning than winning his way.

Because the youth movement won’t win. Right?

20. blainer says:

admiralmark:
    Loweblow says:

I also watched most of the games Nurse played on the farm and was also not impressed. Now I was told he had a bad cold or Flu.. so itmay be the case that he was weak from that… I was really hyped about him and was convinced he was making the Oilers next season..Now.. He will have to put a ton of work in this summer in order to even get a nine game look…

21. Deadman Waiting says:

I think it should be possible for the youngest draft prospects to play more than nine games without burning an ELC season. The cap averages out to just under $40k per player dressed per game played. Set a number somewhere near this, perhaps a bit less. Under my proposal a team doesn’t burn an ELC season by keeping the prospect up after nine games if they pay a flat rate thereafter of $40k per game dressed (or they can burn the ELC if they want to, compensating the player under the existing rules and not pay the flat rate).

This way it’s possible to keep the Yakupovs of the world on a shorter leash in their rookie seasons, without taking such a huge bite out of their career earnings (agents are like elephants: they remember).

Probably this arrangement needs to be suspended in some way at the trade deadline so as not to mess up the competitive balance of the AHL. That’s a matter for the fine print.

There are very few 18/19-year-olds with a combination of upside/impact that NHL teams are going to invest $40k a spin to further their development, or call up to fill any but the most extreme roster holes.

It does make it possible that as a young prospect Yakupov divides his season between the NHL and the AHL without burning a year on his ELC, but still pocketing $1.6 for his season’s effort. Is an early $1.6 million a good investment for the team to retain his rights one year further into his prime years on a value contract? I suspect it is.

Is the agent going to bitch? A little bit, but a lot less than the present situation. And wouldn’t the carrot of a flat-rate $40k extra per extra game played at the age of nineteen go a long way to getting the wool out of his ears?

Of course this is all moot if the prospect in question is drafted during one of Bettman’s midget seasons.

One always needs to consider perverse incentives. This would potentially have given Yakupov a financial incentive to push one of his fellow forwards under a bus in the early season (e.g. a Tulupov take out, or an Eric Nystrom reach around) so that he gets called up to pocket a long string of $40k game appearance fees. With a good #1 overall pick projecting to pocket $100 million over a long and successful career, I think that incentive is too small a peanut for even a closet psychopath to reach for his Tonya Harding-branded Ginsu knife; if the “accidental” injury goes horribly wrong, the treacherous prospect could easily become a Matt Cooke-branded knuckle magnet.

22. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: I would absolutely give Nurse nine games. With the mental note that no matter what he does, he’s going back to SSM at the end of those nine, no exceptions.

Although I agree with what you’re saying (whole post actually, US-Iran included!) I think we sometimes look at these decisions with young players a little backwards.

The point isn’t to send Nurse back no matter what. Nurse should stay if he’s honestly one of the top 6 or 7 defensemen on the team. The point is to acquire enough Actual NHL Defensemen so that there is very little chance for a 19 year old junior-eligible D-man to make the club out of camp. That way, if he still is the in the top 6 or 7, then you can keep him up on merit and not feel like you’re rushing him.

Sending him down no matter what, in some ways, makes as little sense as reserving him a roster spot no matter what. The mistake isn’t in not sending back Nurse or Klefbom in September. The mistake happens earlier, when they come into camp with a real chance to make the team on merit.

23. Lloyd B. says:

Mac T is becoming a master of mis-direction. Since the bold moves presser to this years end of season presser to what he is saying now, he has laid out virtually every possible scenario of the make up of the team. No matter what happens this year we will be able to find a comment somewhere that we can point to that he foreshadowed what he did. He’s playing us. Silver fox indeed.

Somewhat similar to what we do here. Throw out all kinds of trades and ufa signings over a period of time in a number of comments that we can crow that we had it he right when it happens. We are awesome GMs. If only in our own minds. Gotta love this blog.

Keep paypal up LT. Assist on the goal comng tomorrow. Agree with those that a subscription for those of us that can do it is the way to go. Still no charge for those who are unable. Best of both worlds.

24. admiralmark says:

blainer says:
    June 18, 2014 at 7:13 pm

How was your impression of Musil? I didn’t get the impression he was anywhere near NHL ready. At least with Nurse he looked to have the tools but maybe not the experience. As opposed to Musil who just appeared to not have the tools.

25. Andy P says:

I don’t think MacT is going to make any moves that hurt this team. He will ice next years team with a better roster and better coaching. He is probably getting one sided offers from 29 other teams right now, all of which require a kings ransom for a net return worth less than the ransom.

MacT looks like he’s prepared to go with what he has on D rather than gut our pipeline for their overpriced returns. Good call. Just give us a better team than we had last year.

26. wheatnoil says:

Lloyd B.:
    Mac T is becoming a master of mis-direction.Since the bold moves presser to this years end of season presser to what he is saying now, he has laid out virtually every possible scenario of the make up of the team.No matter what happens this year we will be able to find a comment somewhere that we can point to that he foreshadowed what he did.He’s playing us.Silver fox indeed.

“Our pick will be right in the mix to stay here… I’ll include Darnell Nurse in that as well.” When you look at it literally, that’s about as strong of an endorsement as he gave the assistant coaches earlier on the Spring. “I like them plenty, they could stay, but it’s not my decision so we’ll see.”

27. rickithebear says:

I will take a 2.08 EVGA 1st comp Dman that allows
    a line like Gagner- Arco- Yak to outscore them.

28. PLUGGER says:

MacT has likely been talking to agents and/or rival GMs and found that his plans for 4 or 5 additionns will likely not happen. At least not as easily as he thought it might.
    Perhaps Katz has said Whoa, what are you doing? My red-headed kid doesn’t like losing our shot at McDavid or Eichel next year.
    Probably though just throwing another comment out to cover ALL possible outcomes.

29. jb says:

His true intentions are to deal the pick, book it.

30. blainer says:

admiralmark,

I thought Musil Looked Ok..I really didn’t see him stand out.. too bad… or too good.. In Nurse’s case I think I was expecting too much. I thought He would be more Dominant…. I have to admit.. that Texas team they lost to, and who are now the calder cup champs, were a very big skilled team.. So maybe he was in tough early. A lot can happen over the summer..he can put on10 to 15 lbs and work his ass off to make the team in October. If he makes the team on Merit he should stay..

31. anonymous says:

I think Mact would be better suited holding his cards a little closer, it seems his narrative changes month to month. He’s starting to make Burke seem reserved.

32. Lois Lowe says:

Next season’s already a goner for Conor? Try rhyming “McDavid”, I dare you.

cave-in for McDavid?

34. haters says:

Nichushkin was on the Olympic team for Russia, Nurse didn’t crack the Wjc lineup…. That kinda sums it up no ?

35. bsmart says:

haters,

And how did the Russians do at the Olympics ?

36. bsmart says:

Also most people agree that Nurse was a massive omission by hockey canada

Lois Lowe:
    Next season’s already a goner for Conor? Try rhyming “McDavid”, I dare you.

Orange.

haters:

Its a long race and neither are at the first turn yet.

Lois Lowe:
    Next season’s already a goner for Conor? Try rhyming “McDavid”, I dare you.

Skid for McDavid

Lois Lowe:
    Next season’s already a goner for Conor? Try rhyming “McDavid”, I dare you.

Faded for McDavid

Lois Lowe:
    Next season’s already a goner for Conor? Try rhyming “McDavid”, I dare you.

Naked for McDavid

42. Tarkus says:

Lois Lowe:
    Next season’s already a goner for Conor? Try rhyming “McDavid”, I dare you.

Depravèd for McDavid.

Hey, if the grave-accented “e” was good enough for Shakespeare…

43. Jasmine says:

Stop forcing the over-hyped and overrated Draisaitl onto the Oilers. He’s the most over-hyped and overrated prospect in this year’s draft. He’s the next Bonsignore or Schremp. I’ll throw up if I hear an more about the over-hyped and overrated Draisaitl.

Jasmine:

ShrempBogosian
    ShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosianShrempBogosian

Jasmine:

Draisaitl is bona fide.

46. haters says:

Woodguy,

I respectfully disagree, nichuskin and yak in the same wjc and it was obvious to me the later was by far the superior player, a generational talent to be frank. Also he managed to crack the most talent laden team ( for forwards) excluding Canada. I realize it’s early but that alone has me disappointed and bewildered as to why when we were supposedly getting ready to contend for a playoff spot we pick a player that is at least 3 years from making an impact! Sry for the novel I just strongly disagree with the move . I do have my fingers crossed nurse pans out though, he has stud or bust written all over him .

47. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Faded for McDavid
    Skid for McDavid
    Naked for McDavid

McDavid is real… doh!

haters,

I respectfully disagree,

I said:

Its a long race and neither are at the first turn yet.

Not sure which part you disagree with.

The road being long, or both just starting their careers?

49. Ryan says:

Lowetide, why can’t we have nice things?

50. nycoil says:

Lots of things rhyme with McDavid. Didn’t we just do this a couple of weeks ago? Starting to feel jaded about drafting McDavid. You know what doesn’t rhyme with McDavid? Winning! Yeah, crazy concept, I know.

So why isn’t there a “what does it all mean?” Section to this “what does it all mean?” Post? And more importantly, why isn’t Ms. Johansson’s photo accompanying it? I feel lost. Anyone have a tip on how to cook steak at least to send me back on the proper path?

51. Zangetsu says:

Rebuild belated for Mcdavid.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

prorated for McDavid?
    Belated McDavid?

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jasmine:

You should know that I hate you.

54. Ben says:

Dishonour for Connor!

Waive it for McDavidt!

Rot ‘er for the Otter!

55. spoiler says:

McFated for McDavid.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Zangetsu:
    Rebuild belated for Mcdavid.

I think I read your comment, forgot about it and copied you somehow.

57. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    prorated for McDavid?
    Belated McDavid?

You’d have to think that the Oilers 2015 1st >>>> 2014 1st (3 ov) in terms of trade value.

No way we can trade our goner for Connor ticket.

58. Ryan says:

Jasmine:

59. OilFire says:

Ryan: I talked to a scout for a playoff team who confided in me that Draisatl had huge bust potential.

Draisaitl is 18, shouldn’t we know how busty he’s going to be by now?

My neighbor told me “Draisaitl!!?!!? I got yer Draisaitl right here!”

61. OilFire says:

Actually, that “scout” was me. I was just messing with you… You just seemed like the kind of guy who claims shit on the internet.

62. RexLibris says:

You have to love Oilers fans.

Is there anywhere else on the planet where a collection of otherwise intelligent, educated, informed and capable adults would willingly engage in a forum discussing their team’s chances at being the worst squad in the league a full three months before the season even began?

Okay, maybe there’s some England fans somewhere musing about the 2018 World Cup, but still.

We haven’t even arrived at the draft this year and yet we’ve become so conditioned, and simultaneously numbed, from these past four or five years that we are already anticipating a discussion of the following year’s top draft picks.

By the way, Dishonour for Connor is my suggestion.

63. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: My neighbor told me “Draisaitl!!?!!? I got yer Draisaitl right here!”

But does Draisaitl wear Don Jackson’s old #29 with the Oilers, or go with the unheralded #92?

64. Ryan says:

OilFire: Actually, that “scout” was me.I was just messing with you… You just seemed like the kind of guy who claims shit on the internet.

I’m quite sure you’re not the scout that I chatted with, but nice try. :)

65. Racki says:

Jasmine:

Hey there. Just wanted to say that I’m a big fan of your rice.

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilFire: Draisaitl is 18, shouldn’t we know how busty he’s going to be by now?

Oh, I enjoy this so much. Good job!

———-
    FWIW, I believe Pronman (or perhaps one of the ISS scouts) actually described Draisaitl as one of the bigger boom/bust players at the top end (which is already a different kind of thing from saying someone has huge bust potential).

I’m not sure I see that. I think I’d have to see more of a risk/reward type player… someone like Nylander, or Fiala seems more in that vein. May end up the best in the draft, may fall out of favor with the NHL after a few years.

For a pick to be considered simply “huge bust potential” I think you’d have to see something credible in the numbers: Like discipline splits that heavily favor PP scoring. Or, a D.

67. Ryan says:

OilFire: Draisaitl is 18, shouldn’t we know how busty he’s going to be by now?

Lol. I don’t know projecting prospects from cup sizes… Think of me as a nothing more than a parrot.

68. frjohnk says:

But to be fair, before we all jump to conclusions, who was the scout?

69. Jon K says:

Apparently Ben Kuzma has suggested that Vancouver is in active discussions with Florida to move up to first overall so they can draft local kid Sam Reinhart. If that were to occur, and Buffalo took a centre, the Oilers could conceivably end up with choosing between Ekblad and Draisaitl.

I really don’t know who they’d take. Ironically, Ekblad’s positional need could be seen as less pressing than the need filled by Draisaitl.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jon K:

It’s plausible even if the picks don’t move.

I’d take Draisaitl (obviously)… but I think (as has been said many times) it wouldn’t be a hard decision for MacT. He’d knock Stu and Katz’ kid down in the rush to the podium to take Ekblad.

71. Ryan says:

frjohnk: Well we better get this inside info to MacT, all the scouting agencies that have ranked to number 1 to number 7. And last but not least of all, somebody better tell bob mckenzie before his pre draft show. If he has Draisaitl in the top 10, it will be the end of tsn draft center as we know it.

But to be fair, before we all jump to conclusions, who was the scout?

I can’t really call the guy out here since it was casual conversation. Maybe the guy’s wrong for all I know. It was a scout for an EC team that made the playoffs and that’s as much as I ‘ll give you,

72. nycoil says:

Let me get this straight:

Ekblad is too much a man-child already, won’t grow any more.

Bennett is too weak to do a pull up. I can do a pull up so he sucks.

Reinhart is too much of a Nuge clone and we can’t have two because we already have one and we suck.

Draisaitl is going to bust because he looks lazy out there and is from Germany, a non-hockey country whose best players are Sturm and Hecht and well we know that’s not going to work cause he doesn’t have the Canadian work ethic.

Nichushkin is better than Yak because Russia picked him for the Olympics. Never mind that Canada picked 5 goals in 41 playoff games Rick Nash over Taylor Hall. You know, cause Edmonton.

And Nurse is a bust because Ristolainen and Nichushkin played in the NHL and were taken after him. Oh, how was Barkov’s first year? He a bust, too?

MacT better give up!

Not jumping on one person or another in particular. Just too funny when you put all the caricatures together.

73. PaperDesigner says:

Enslave-ded for McDave-ded?

Slurring the pronunciation helps.

74. PaperDesigner says:

Torch, pitchfork and stick waved for McDavid?

75. PaperDesigner says:

And now the nightmare one:
    The pick has been traded
    To Calgary, that is, McDavid

76. PaperDesigner says:

The rebuild longer be, the picks dismayed skid
    For one young Connor G. McDavid

77. PaperDesigner says:

The stick wave skid for McDavid.

Best rhyme, least amount of sense.

78. PaperDesigner says:

At least the top prospect next year isn’t Valeri Zelepukin’s son, or some such. The daily pukin’ for Zelepukin? Just doesn’t seem right.

79. nycoil says:

Talking hypotheticals here. Tallon wants Ehlers and Tanev for 1st overall. Vancouver wants Reinhart but won’t give up Tanev so no deal goes through.

Florida takes Ekblad, Buffalo takes Bennett. What do you do if you’re the Oilers? Take Draisaitl and ignore the noise? Take Reinhart? Trade down with dreaded Vancouver, who might be more desperate then knowing Reinhart is there and Calgary is picking next, with Griffin’s brother a lock to not make it past the Isles?

Hold their feet over the coals and take Edler and Nylander/Virtanen/Dal Colle/Ehlers?

80. Hammers says:

Thanks for the laughs tonight LT . Sometimes I think this group should smoke a little . As they say born suckers every day .

Fuck it. for Connor.

82. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

It’s fair to say Oilers have a very good chance at drafting Ekblad if pick is moved.

Like everyone, GM’s hate to look stupid.
    – Picking a D in the lottery picks is risky – you look stupid if he flops
    – Giving up assets to move up and selecting an inferior player makes you look stupid
    – Giving up to much to move up makes you look stupid
    – An impact D takes longer to shine than impact F – even if the right choice there are 5 years of critics

So…. do nothing to likely select an impact player vs multiple of ways to look stupid.

Ok, after writing this, such a move is clearly up Snow’s alley.. Oilers are Oilers… but who else…

83. borisnikov says:

honour abated for Connor McDavid?

No honour for Connor?

84. One-Timer says:

Jasmine:

It’s not a big deal. We’re just gonna run him out of town anyway, cuz that’s what Oilerfans do.

Out of town!

85. borisnikov says:

Boner for Connor… lololol

Filter off, will regret in the AM.

86. haters says:

Woodguy,

The turn.. Nurse is lagging behind by quite a bit IMO

87. soup says:

Wins hid for McDavid.

That’s all I got.

Re: Nichushkin vs. Nurse.

Hows that Yakupov vs. Murray race going. Yakupov raced out to the lead at the quarter pole, but Murray caught and pass him at the half mile.

D tend to emerge slower than forwards. It doesn’t mean they are bad picks. But if you are going to compared a drafted forward with a drafted D, do it after 5 years.

Stamkos vs. Doughty. Doughty has the lead down the stretch.

89. justDOit says:

Sedated for McDavid.

90. Andy P says:

Y’all need to get some sleep. We’re not going to be last next season, we’ll have a better roster than last year, a better, unified coaching team, better goaltending, no-one will get injured, and the Refs will call every foul against us. Well, the part before the injuries, anyway.

91. borisnikov says:

The Longest Con(nor)

Or

The long con for Connor

92. Deadman Waiting says:

Off topic. Just a random snippet of performance-anxiety foreplay that formed in my imagination as I stared at the ceiling while rolling out a spasm between my shoulder blades.

————

Flavour-of-the-day to flavour-of-the-minute [freshly peeled]: What if I told you I was concerned about disappointing you by becoming too proficient, too quickly?

Min: That’s a peculiar thing to worry about. Why do you ask?

Day [also freshly peeled]: Just checking if you’ve got a male brainstem.

Min: Oh, really?! Did I pass?

Day: Yes, of course. Twice, already, in fact. “Oh, really?!” exactly as you said it is off the estrogenic charts.

Min: Good to have that settled. Pray tell, what might I have said had I not passed the test?

Day: Who says there’s anything wrong with having a male brainstem? In any case, the male response is easy to relate. You would have started your reply with the words “Are you” followed by one of the Austrian nouns.

Min: Oh … do enlighten me. What are the “Austrian” nouns?

Day: Nuts, cracked, crazy, cuckoo, … out-of-your-mind. It’s somewhat open ended, but those are the usual suspects.

Min: So then … what are we aiming for here, traditional disappointment or non-traditional disappointment?

Day: I don’t generally hew to traditional, myself.

Min: Then I think we need to clarify precisely what “proficiency” will become quickly apparent before we proceed an inch further.

93. Younger Oil says:

I fully expect MacT to turn the #3 into a later first round and a second round pick, turn the subsequent first round pick into two second round picks, then turn the three second round picks into 6 third round picks and 9 fourth round picks.

Then, after all the trades are read out, MacT walks up to the podium, says “Moneypuck, b***h”, drops the mic, and walks out of the arena.

The next day, all 21 players drafted by the team are immediately signed to entry level deals, and make up the opening night lineup for the 2014-15 version of the Edmonton Oilers.

The Rexall DJ is fired, and is replaced by a CD playing the Benny Hill Theme Song on a loop to be played 24/7.

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are hired as assistant coaches, their only instructions from MacT are to stand on either side of Eakins at every single game, seeing who can make the most annoying sound in the world. The 50/50 is then subsequently replaced with a season long pool with fans betting what Eakins will do first: Murder them, join in, or smile.

And even after all of that happening, it would be impossible for the Oilers to finish lower in the Western Conference standings than they have in 4 of the last 5 years.

94. Racki says:

Play Dead for McDavead.

95. G Money says:

Hey, I got it!

“Let’s ice a shitty team and lose lots of games so we get a high pick and maybe we can draft that Connor McDavid kid, I heard he’s pretty good!”

Catchy, no?

96. justDOit says:

G Money:

Catchy, no?

Like herpes.

97. maudite says:

If cap is going up as much as projected. You have:

2 mil + value on hall for next 6 years
    Fair contract on eberle
    Likely 1 mil+ on RNH

Elbow room to spare. This year I hope they just settle for improvement not whale hunt like mad again. Stop gap defense contracts 3 year ufa deals. Overpay if required.

I still swear the right move is sending Shultz out now. If I can get buffalo to bite on Shultz+ for erhoff we are in way better shape. Erhoff and one ufa signing (on three year overpay) and we have thins sorted to properly develop a bit more.

Erhoff
    Stallman/Markov/name it
    Petry
    Marincin
    Ference
    Klefbom

That’s a serviceable D. I overpay huge for the 2nd dman on a 3 year deal.

I pray that pick is not in play as well. Our prospect pool is not bursting at the seams with centres. That is a huge asset that should not be spent unless you are getting a defense an or center just entering prime years (non of the trade scenarios I’ve sen yet include that)

No to clarkson (deal is too long, unless its ganger straight across with them retaining salary difference)
    Maybe to phanuef but I don’t think its likely worth asserts involved.

Slow steady improvent, coupled by proper development of prospects. That is the only way out of this mess that leads to consistent and legitimate playoff team. Throwing out a lottery pick or klefbom at this point is short sighted.

Yes, the city is pissed and tired but these next couple years determine whether you end up screwed islanders style or actual become a non joke team. It shouldn’t have take. This long but it has and all that can be done now is to slowly and finally get it back on track.

98. danny says:

McDive for McDavid

99. Deadman Waiting says:

Min: Those aren’t really nouns, you know.

Day: Well, when I palmed the clasp under your camisole—had we reached the top of the stairs yet?—many scales fell away. We reached a state where verbs and nouns suffice for the whats and wherefores.

———

“You’re nuts!”

In that sentence, “nuts” is a technically a predicative adjective acting as subject complement.

Technically, that’s lousy pillow talk.

———

Tonight my lemon tree had a sore throat, so I read to her longer than usual, after mixing up a hot toddy from fresh lime, agave syrup, and just a hint of Limoncello.

I’ve been reading her Kurt Vonnegut’s Mother Night. The comic-mordant tone makes for an odd bedtime story, but Vonnegut’s phrasing is fabulous for reading out loud. It’s the most enjoyable book I’ve read to her since The Last Unicorn.

It’s fun, also, because I try to sight-read without mistakes, booboos, hesitations, stammers, or pauses. This book is both easy and hard. Other books are stilted. Other books are mostly hard.

“He had a very live wife named Tanya in Borisoglebsk.” I passed that test, barely. I had nine easy words on the run-up. (Real city, never heard of it.)

Concerning the man of the very live wife himself: “Kraft-Potapov” came out of my mouth on first encounter as “Kraft-Patopov”. As least when your eye slides ahead to “Borisoglebsk” you know what you’re up against.

“One time Heinz and I took on a doubles team composed of Reichsleiter Goebbels and Oberdienstleiter Karl Hederich. We sat them down 21-2, 21-1, 21-0.”

“Oberdienstleiter” sat me down 21-0. There was no hiding my long regression to Hooked on Phonics, no dancing over the cracks in the sidewalk mid-stride, no quick approximation I could reliably repeat if the word came up again, later on.

nycoil:
    Let me get this straight:

Ekblad is too much a man-child already, won’t grow any more.

Bennett is too weak to do a pull up. I can do a pull up so he sucks.

Nichushkin is better than Yak because Russia picked him for the Olympics. Never mind that Canada picked 5 goals in 41 playoff games Rick Nash over Taylor Hall.You know, cause Edmonton.

MacT better give up!

and nobody seems to know what to get Millie or Jimmy for their wedding present.

haters:
    Woodguy,

The turn.. Nurse is lagging behind by quite a bit IMO

They haven’t even reached the first turn.

They can’t even see it yet.

102. book¡je says:

Jasmine:

THats the problem with You Edmonton fans. Always driving players out of town. The guys not even here yet and you are driving him out of town. We will never have a good team because fans like you are driving players out of Town!!!!

103. Fixall with Rexall says:

Gillis gone or not. If Vancouver comes up to our table and looks for a deal, I hope MacT remembers the Schneider incident. I also just pray that if we do keep the pick, that the kid turns into a better player then whoever Calgary picks. We will never hear the end of it.

104. jake70 says:

RexLibris: I hear he’s already submitted a list of ten teams he will refuse any trade, er, I mean draft to.

Speculation is that the Oilers, Islanders and Panthers are on that list.

Pretty rediculous. I can’t imagine sitting there in an office on Kingsway, and time after time, hearing or being notified a player has your organization on his no-trade list. It’s has to be quite discouraging.

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: and nobody seems to know what to get Millie or Jimmy for their wedding present.

Candlesticks?

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

book¡je: THats the problem with You Edmonton fans.Always driving players out of town.The guys not even here yet and you are driving him out of town.We will never have a good team because fans like you are driving players out of Town!!!!

I can’t believe no one thought of this before. Perfect response.

107. haters says:

Woodguy,

Nichuskin had a strong NHL year with an Olympic under his belt, age to me means nothing as Lidstrom and Crosby and many others have proven. The race is not age my friend the race is who is farther along in their development and who can help their team now. Nichuskin is a power forward whom the oilers desperately need and is a stronger hockey player than mr yakapov so I’m not sure what race you’re following but it’s the Russian out in front by a mile . Period . Bad pick . Let’s move on.

108. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

haters: Period . Bad pick . Let’s move on.

Coda! QED! Fuhgeddaboudit already!

haters:
    Woodguy,

Period . Bad pick . Let’s move on.

Right after pointing out this is absolutely crazy.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

slopitch:
    Found this on twitter last night

and because its not showing Draisatl

Drasatl looks good by this metric (ESG). The guy thats super impressive is Ehlers. His ESGDIFF is off the charts!

Ehlers 77% ES goal diff
    Halifax 65% ES goal diff

that’s nice too!

But, his IPP is low (as these things go) 66%

111. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Yea. their reporting tool has some problems. sorting the draft-eligible into lateDB is good but it’s frustrating when it excludes them altogether from draft eligible players.

Ehlers 77% ES goal diff
    Halifax 65% ES goal diff

that’s nice too!

But, his IPP is low (as these things go) 66%

If the Oilers trade down for a nice asset (say Reinhart is there at 3 and Canucks so desperately want him they offer us Horvat and# 6), I am fully on board with taking another small, skilled winger in Ehlers (drops grenade in room, runs and hides).

112. haters says:

Numbers don’t lie check the scoreboard.
    Tom Ford.

113. nycoil says:

I think a Jay-Z quote on this board is about as suited to the audience as motivational speaking is suited to Tambellini.

114. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

haters:
    Numbers don’t lie check the scoreboard.
    Tom Ford.

Numbers don’t cry. Video at 11.
    Rob Ford

115. haters says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴,

Lol !! Also after reading up some more about nichuskin and his up down season I realize I might have be wrong . I now see why teams are trending away from the “high skill” Russian forwards. What a premadona lol