WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU’RE EXPECTING

Jason Gregor has an interview with Scott Howson over at Oilers Nation today, fascinating read. Jason asked Howson some great questions, and the answers were interesting and provocative. In looking at the big ‘ol NFL draft value table (in Jason’s piece), I wondered why don’t we start the process with a simple queston: what should we expect from each draft selection this weekend? Isn’t that a good place to start placing value? Below, I’ll name a player in the range of the pick, based on my lists this week. Let’s see if we can get this thing surrounded.

OILERS EXPECTATIONS BY PICK

• No. 3 overall: C Leon Draisaitl. We should expect a quality center for seven years and beyond. First line should be the goal, understanding that might be difficult with the Nuge also in the house. I don’t know the odds of this fellow becoming that player, but it has to be very high. A team drafting No. 3 overall and not getting a solid Top 6F would be worthy of dismissal, no?
  • No. 91 overall: L Dexter DancsSleeper power forward. I’ve chosen him because (offensively) he’s beyond Khaira and the BCJHL is an area Edmonton likes to draft from in recent years. How much should we expect from this player? Dillon Simpson, Linus Omark, Chris VandeVelde and Zack Stortini are some of the more interesting picks in this range. How many times would you have to pick in the 90s to get a top 9F or top 6D? I bet you it’s a lot. I bet you that Zack Stortini (257 games) is one of the more successful picks in this range.
  • No. 111 overall: G Ville Husso—.923 save percentage in a good pro league. What are the odds this guy becomes a starting goalie in the NHL for five seasons? I bet it’s closer to zero than it is 20%. What are the odds that Husso plays 200 games?
  • No. 130 overall: C Reid Duke—This is a guy who deserves a break. Good player, bad team. I think we’re at a point where a callup should be considered a victory, no?
  • No. 137 overall:  R Austin Poganski—Big throwback winger on his way to UND. About the same as Duke, I imagine.
  • No. 153 overall: D Nelson Nogier—Big, mobile stay at home defender. Lesser chance, long long shot.
  • No. 183 overall: G Vitek Vanecek—Good numbers, dominant at U-18s. Pissing in the wind.

Now, let’s add it all up. I think, based on years of watching NHL scouts gobble up all the talent by No. 100 overall we can expect:

• A quality NHL player who will enjoy a long career. I wrote expect Rucinsky a few weeks ago, and believe that to be in the range of reasonable. Rucinsky averaged 21-31-52 per 82 games and played 961 NHL games. That’s a good, good player, for a long time. If we pumped that up to 1,000 games, and 60 points per 82gp, would that be fair? Okay, that’s Miro Satan. We can expect Miro Satan. HELLUVA player.
  • The rest of the group combined should produce an NHL GP total between Teemu Hartikainen (52) and JF Jacques (166).
  • A reasonable expectation for this season is the 2008 draft: Eberle, Hartikainen and two cups of coffee.

I don’t have a chart, but we all have our brains and the knowledge that comes from watching scouts pick the carcass clean by the end of round three.

Thoughts?

86 Responses to "WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU’RE EXPECTING"

1. Andy P says:

With the depth we have at D and the lack at C I would love to see Draisatl, and if he is gone then Ekblad looks worth the 3rd pick.

But, what if Ekblad and Draisatl are gone, what then? How much better than Gags will Bennett or Reinhart be? Enough to potentially get the Oilers to and through the playoffs with the right supporting cast?

Can either of those two, or anyone else, fill that 2C role the way Malkin compliments Crosby?
    I’m sure glad I’m not going to have to make THAT choice.

2. WeirsBeard says:

What’s the average get from a draft, two players or so, right?

Considering they got Scrivens and Perron already for their picks this year, and should get quality at #3OV, the draft should be considered a success, even if they get nothing after that.

Still, always wonderful when they hit a big fly late. Something to look forward to each and every year.

Andy P: Sam Bennett.

4. nycoil says:

20-30-50 with good face-off and possession stats would be a big fly. I think beyond what should be reasonably expected of this pick to be honest. I’m thinking more like 15-25-40, hopefully with good 2-way attributes (something close to Sean Couturier with perhaps a touch more offense, a touch less defense) would go a long way to solidifying the team. Would take a 9/10 here over an Ace or bust scenario.

That Hainsey deal looks nice for Carolina, bad for the other teams looking for a d-man. This summer is starting to look more and more dangerous. Careful MacT, careful. Don’t force a trade just to do something.

5. Manitoba Oilers says:

Andy P,

Reinhart

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

anyone got a link to the podcast of that Gregor Howson interview?

7. Hammers says:

TSN had there mock draft & Button chose Draisatil for The Oilers & Reinhart for Calgary . Ekblad to Florida & Bennet to Buffalo . Interesting .Del Colle to NYI .

8. supernova says:

Expecting a Center who can range in the 60 point range maybe push 70 for minimum 10 years.

The other 7 picks starting with pick 91.

I am expecting a combined game played total of 20. Nothing much maybe a Fedun or Davidson at best.

Leon is the man for me. Second choice is Bennett.

Happy with any of the 4 though.

9. Yak2 says:

Take Aaron Haydon at 91

10. John Chambers says:

Manitoba Oilers,

Button mentioned Reinhart’s 2-way play several times during the mock draft and got me thinking: we keep discussing Bennett / Draisaitl / Reinhart’s ppg, and EV ppg, but is one player (Reinhart) possibly a more difficult player to play against?

Everyone wants to avoid re-drafting Sam Gagner so we look at Leon’s size and say voila. But watching all of 5’11 Bergeron pick up another Selke makes me want to invest in a C with defensive acumen to slot behind RNH.

Maybe that player is Reinhart.

11. David says:

I think it would be much more accurate to expect Matt Duchene. Or Evander Kane. For Reinhart I’m expecting Taylor Hall. These are some pretty dang good players in the top group.

12. nycoil says:

Greene deal with LA done. 4 years, sounds like $10M

13. Thor762 says:

If that’s the expectation wouldn’t it be better to draft the #3 overall and then trade the rest of the picks plus prospects for actual NHL players? GM’s sometimes go full retard at the Draft when trying to acquire more picks don’t they?

14. gcw_rocks says:

Draft Reinhardt, Bennett or Leon and trade Nuge to Phoenix for Ekman-Larson. Even if your can’t do the deal straight up, the team would still be better off. The team could then go hard after Grabovski or Stastny to fill the Nuge gap. Or, look to Carolina for Jordan Staal. Easier to replace Nuge than to find someone of Ekman-Larson’s calibre, but Phoenix needs offence and some star power, so Nuge might be enough to pry Ekman-Larson free.

15. nycoil says:

Slide show froze my browser on me but I made it to #3.

16. Melman says:

Andy P: Sam Bennett.

If that shook out, talk about the ultimate twist having Reinhart join his brother in Calgary. $5 says Van. trades into #1 and takes him though.

17. Ryan says:

gcw_rocks:
    Draft Reinhardt, Bennett or Leon and trade Nuge to Phoenix for Ekman-Larson. Even if your can’t do the deal straight up,the team would still be better off.The team could then go hard after Grabovski or Stastny to fill the Nuge gap.Or, look to Carolina for Jordan Staal. Easier to replace Nuge than to find someone of Ekman-Larson’s calibre, but Phoenix needs offence and some star power, so Nuge might be enough to pry Ekman-Larson free.

Stastny is rumored to being willing to take a haircut last I heard to stay in Denver.

I heard some chatter that Carolina was looking to shed salary awhile ago, but nothing recent.

18. David says:

An article that probably couldn’t be truer about Lindros.

19. misfit says:

I agree about the 3rd round being the last chance to be making picks you expect to develop into players.

I’ve long since held the opinion that picks from the 4th round on are better served as trade chips for UFA signing rights, backup goalies, and 4th liners, but if we could move our 2 4th and 5th rounders for a pair of picks in the 3rd round, I’d consider them smart moves.

20. misfit says:

Hammers:

Not surprising. Button’s mocks always seem to work out ideally for the Flames. Only if Draisaitl and Bennett go 1 & 2 do I see there being a chance Reinhart is there for CGY.

21. Rondo says:

Hammers,

Before the show stated Button said the best fit for the Oilers is Sam Bennett. However in his mock Bennett was taken #2.

22. Bar_Qu says:

Apparently Hall is only the 4th best LW in the NHL. Benn, Pavelski and Sharp are better.

Taylor Hall fourth in voting for LW all-star team behind Benn, pavelski and sharp— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) June 25, 2014

I’m not even sure what to do with the NHL anymore.

23. hags9k says:

Pull-up-gate just makes me want Bennett more. Makes me think of Gretz for some reason and that maybe this was a hint that a much higher ceiling exists on the horizon.

Bennett
    Reinhart
    Leon
    Ekblad

I am in agreement with the host. He may now want to revise!

24. Maurey says:

My Predictions for the Oilers’ draft:

3. C/LW – Leon Draisaitl – Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) 6′-2″, 208lbs.

91. 1 of these 2, if available:
    RW/C – Keegan Iverson – Portland Winterhawks (WHL) 6′-1″, 210lbs.
    LW – Edgars Kulda – Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL) 5′-11″, 179lbs.

111. G – Ty Edmonds – Prince George Cougars (WHL) 6′-1″, 175lbs.
    130. RD – Nelson Nogier – Saskatoon Blades (WHL) 6′-2 1/4″, 191lbs.
    137. LW/RW – Nikita Yazkov – Windsor Spitfires (OHL) 6′-0″, 165lbs.
    153. RW/LW – Brett Boehm – Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL) 6′-1″, 180lbs.
    183. C – Tobias Kircher – Mannheim Jr (Germany Jr) 5′-10″, 163lbs.

25. Rondo says:

LT,

What is your opinion of the hockey writers/Christopher Ralph rankings?

Rondo:
    LT,

What is your opinion of the hockey writers/Christopher Ralph rankings?

I really like THW overall, and the rankings are very unique. I definitely pay attention to what they’re doing.

27. Deadman Waiting says:

This really only works for a team already stuffed to the gills with fresh caviar:

Gravid for McDavid

We just need to fill out a line card top to bottom with all the maturity of Chris Pine munching an apple from the big chair.

———

Quinto hits the chill switch on the underside of his private console, which transforms the bridge into a festive screening room. Each crew member now reclines in his/her/hyn/zie very own big chair—munching through his/her/hyn/zie very own bag of candy apples—while kicking back to enjoy Starfleet Academy 8: Eleven of Ten.

By the end of the movie everyone and everything is now coated with impossibly sticky Drakian sour gum, but that’s okay, because Quinto also harbours a “Jacuzzi” setting, if he can be convinced to enter the code. That hurdle soon falls when then entire bridge crew begins to grope toward him like curious Yanomamo Morlocks encountering a strange alien for the first time.

———

Ya ̧nomamö, Sixth Edition: The Legacy Edition:

A hand came forward and cautiously and ever so delicately touched my leg. The hand retracted quickly with a hiss of amazement from its owner—“Aaahhh!” A chorus of admiring tongue clicks followed from the less bold, and then more touches and hisses, and soon many hands were touching me all over, pulling on my hairs, and they smelled my spoor repeatedly in their red-stained cupped hands, clicking their tongues and marveling that someone so different was so similar.

Chagnon describes this same scene even better in Noble Savages: My Life Among Two Dangerous Tribes where in his first meeting with a remote tribe, custom forces him to lie very still in a hammock while his noisy, nosey, nara-stained hosts strain against their own etiquette in helping themselves to his strangeness.

28. Rondo says:

It is interesting Christopher Ralph in his own words

“First of all, my personal prospect analysis and scouting reports from live player viewings (due to geography restraints mainly limited to WHL and to Hockey Canada events/camps) and video analysis. Admittedly, there is nothing comparable to live viewings, but video does have its place, albeit with limitations.”

He sees Leon D as ranked # 6.

29. hags9k says:

Maurey,

At #91, if Iverson wants to make it, we’re going to be talkin about a lot of practice.

Rondo:

It is interesting Christopher Ralph in his own words

“First of all, my personal prospect analysis and scouting reports from live player viewings (due to geography restraints mainly limited to WHL and to Hockey Canada events/camps) and video analysis.Admittedly, there is nothing comparable to live viewings, but video does have its place, albeit with limitations.”

He seesLeon Das ranked # 6.

Yes. I’m absolutely certain there are people who don’t see Draisaitl as being on par with the others. Miles of proof.

31. razor says:

Based on all the opinions I’ve seen, I vote Bennett, if available. Sorry Rom.

32. Rondo says:

A good collection of the latest respectable draft rankings.

33. nycoil says:

Bar_Qu:

I’m not even sure what to do with the NHL anymore.

Hmm. I would say they got this one right this year. Each of those 3 had a better year than Hall. I think next year, though, Hall will prove he is the best LW in the game. He has all the potential to be, and he probably was during the lockout year.

34. Younger Oil says:

Rondo,

Thanks for posting that! Nice to see that someone has Draisaitl in the top 3 so people can stop using that argument that “absolutely nobody has him higher than #4 so we shouldn’t take him”.

35. RexLibris says:

Rondo:
    A good collection of the latest respectable draft rankings.

Interesting to look at.

Seems like Draisaitl averages out to around 4th to 5th.

All this being said, I still think he is the best fit for the organization and it isn’t a reach pick if you need a C more than a W and you are only talking one or two draft positions in year with very little agreement.

36. Caramel Obvious says:

gcw_rocks: A good collection of the latest respectable draft rankings.

If your plan depends on someone else doing something monumentally stupid, it isn’t a very good plan.

Hopkins isn’t within the same stratosphere as Ekman-Larson.

37. RexLibris says:

Willis’ article on Nikitin over at ON brings up Hejda as a NIkitin comparable. Funny because today I was just thinking the same thing. He may not be the top-drawer FA we’ve all be clamoring for, but he’d be a damned sight better acquisition than many of those we’ve seen these past few years.

Overpay to cut the term is a good move, in my opinion. Willis argues that 3×3 makes the most sense, but if it is 2 years @ $4 million I wouldn’t be upset. They have Marincin’s ELC to offset the cost and would be a better team for the addition.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Younger Oil:
    Rondo,

Kennedy is a bit of an outlier and it’s hard to tell if this is mock draft of his ranking that he does based on his interviews with scouts.

twice this year he’s had Draisaitl #1 OV.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nycoil:

amazing that the Grabo, Kulemin and MacArthur line is all gone… for nothing.

and we think, we have problems.

40. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yes! And they misused Grabo, bought him out, then paid that money to Clarkson. Amazing is right.

41. Gerta Rauss says:

nycoil:

That’s good news all around – we’ll get our chance to talk to his agent tomorrow

And a mention of Gardiner/Leafs working on a bridge deal to boot

42. Good-Natured Locomotive says:

LT, not a bad mock draft, I would not be upset if it turned out that way on friday. Here’s my hopeful predictions:

3- Ekblad (it’s not that crazy, realistically happy with any of the Top 4)
    91- Pavel Kraskovsky, C (better skating Yakimov, less dangles, almost as big)
    111- Brent Moran, G (led very young Niagra team to the playoffs unexpectedly)
    130- Dominic Turgeon, C (bigger role next year in Portland, responsible defensively)
    137- Nelson Nogier, D (would go much higher if not for injury, apparently a fantastic skater)
    153- Alec Dillon, G (huge BCHL goalie,dub rights belong to the Oil Kings after a trade in the fall)
    183- Rhett Gardner, LW/C (AJHL, UND commit, same size as Dancs, 1 yr younger)

43. Pouzar says:

Man I hope we hear some rumors tomorrow…I am dyin here!

44. G Money says:

If we sign Nikitin, then convince Grabo and Kulemin to join Yak and Nik, we’d certainly cement our status as Second Russia (assuming it’s OK to be rude and lump a former Soviet Republic in Belarus as a form of “Russia”).

Then cue Edmonton/Siberia jokes in 3 … 2 … 1 …

45. Lummeropenet84 says:

Leon interview with Oilers: LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY MOTHER

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lummeropenet84:
    Leon interview with Oilers: LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY MOTHER

that’s great.

47. One-Timer says:

David:

An article that probably couldn’t be truer about Lindros.

Strictly in terms of his hockey playing, Lindros should be in the HoF and the league is playing politics with this snub.

Still can’t stand him, though, and the article just fluffs over how he gave French Canada the finger by refusing to play for the Nords. But there’s always poetic justice to fall back on: he’ll never have a Stanley Cup ring, and he’d likely have a couple today if he hadn’t been such an egotistical bigot.

48. Bar_Qu says:

nycoil,

I am not disagreeing with you, but we watch they guy, we know how much of an engine he is. I would take Hall over all of them, especially when you take into context the fact they all played on top teams in their conferences.

I can’t argue they had better years, I might argue they aren’t better players.

49. gr8one says:

John Chambers:
    Manitoba Oilers,

Maybe that player is Reinhart.

Bergeron is 6’2.

Not that size really has anything to do with being a Selke winner/candidate, one only has to look to Datsyuk to see that. Which, btw, many compare nuge to, so we may already have that player once he matures.

I still maintain that Bennett is the BPA in this draft, he is the top player by pretty much every metric excluding size. His Birthday is the cherry on top. That being said, I won’t be disappointed with the Dangler. I’d say the chances of Reinhart being an Oiler are slim to nil. I think their draft list goes Ekblad, Draisatl, Bennett, Reinhart, so at least one of those players ahead of him will still be available at three.

50. nycoil says:

Bar_Qu,

Yeah. I take Hall over any other LW, too. Just saying that a case could be made all 3 were better this year. Hall, maybe due to coaching, maybe due to the knee, just wasn’t pushing the river the same way for much of the year as he did last year. His box cars were still good, which bodes well. Those 3 guys had similar box cars with more goals and better Corsi and CorsiRel, where the latter should isolate player from good team or bad. I love Hall but can’t make the case he had a better year than any of those 3 players. So I can’t really find fault with that result. Now the prior year was a joke. Here’s hoping from next year on it will be no contest. Hall’s by far the youngest, too.

51. Snowman says:

52. OilClog says:

grabs Kulemin yak.. If that’s our 3rd unicorn horn… I’m going to eat it up! Unicorn squirt, it’s magicially delicious!

53. Bar_Qu says:

nycoil,

True. I hope next year Hall has the cast behind him to let him make another result like this from the PHWA really look like a joke.

54. Hammers says:

Snowman: Hey LT, at what point should we begin to worry about Petry’s contract?.. I’m also worried about Shultz’s contract but for different reasons. Petry I want to sign. Shultz I want to sign for a reasonable amount. For some reason I’m starting to get the feeling I should be worried about both despite what MacT has said.

Then you join a few others , me included . We all see different players in a somewhat different way but I feel Petry has improved his game year over year and on a crappy team to boot , let alone becoming a top pairing player when he should be a 3-4 .Schultz on the other hand may have slipped this last year (full year) over the previous year (lockout ) Hopefully they won’t get around to contracts until after the UFA debacle on July 1st .

55. PerryK says:

Maurey:
    My Predictions for the Oilers’ draft:

3. C/LW – Leon Draisaitl – Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) 6′-2″, 208lbs.

91.1 of these 2, if available:
    RW/C – Keegan Iverson – Portland Winterhawks (WHL) 6′-1″, 210lbs.
    LW – Edgars Kulda – Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL) 5′-11″, 179lbs.

I agree with your 91 selections. Iverson was a beast during the WHL finals. Looked great by eye. No more needs be said about Kulda. MVP and deserving. Needs more TOI which he will get this year, and shine!

If all this talk is correct and if Reinhart is still available at #3, you would be crazy to pick anyone else.

I would be happy with Draisaitl, but that assumes that SR is already taken. Any one says otherwise did not watch him play this year!

56. ashley says:

Interview with Macgregor:

Quote: “You’re just trying to get the best available player you can,” head amateur scout Stu MacGregor said in a phone interview. “And if you end up with too many of one kind of player, it would then be up to management to trade whichever asset you have to attain something else at a different position.”

If that quote can be believed, it is very doubtful that MacGregor will recommend drafting Draisatl at #3. MacGregor has always been risk averse at the top. I doubt he strays from the conventional wisdom of multiple other published draft rankings.

The management may overrule him, but I think it is more likely that the Oilers call out one of Bennett, Reinhart, or Ekblad.

The Oilers are in a great position in this draft. There is a reasonable chance they could get the first name on their draft list at the third spot.

Snowman:

Here’s what I know about the Oilers: if you’re an RFA and you aren’t signed, there’s a chance you’ll be traded. Now, in the case of Petry I can’t see it without a major defensive return. And they love Schultz.

IF one or both are asking for stupid money, then I could see a deal.

58. raventalon40 says:

I hope Justin Schultz gets over sophomore jinx. But I still prefer Petry because he’s ready now, but a look at the Schultz’s rookie season shows that he has it in him and will be a solid Top 4 guy in the league – just everyone on the team performed poorly last year and Schultz was definitely no exception.

The team culture is currently damaged. But the team culture can turn around in a hurry with all the right leadership. The boys just gotta believe in themselves again and buy into a two way game. We need more guys like Gordon and Hendricks – but hopefully with a tad more offense (and I emphasize tad, not asking for the moon just possession). After almost making the playoffs the year before, I know they have it in them. The culture is just an issue right now.

ashley:
    Interview with Macgregor:

Ifthat quote can be believed, it is very doubtful that MacGregor will recommend drafting Draisatl at #3.MacGregor has always been risk averse at the top.I doubt he strays from the conventional wisdom of multiple other published draft rankings.

The Oilers are in a great position in this draft.There is a reasonable chance they could get the first name on their draft list at the third spot.

I think Draisaitl is in the mix. I wouldn’t be surprised with any of the 4 names announced. Seriously.

60. Kirby says:

Is there a lot of negativity around Josh Ho-Sang? I ask this in reference to this article:

Just watching some of this kids highlights and he seems ridiculously skilled. I notice you have him going between 20-30, and Bob Mac’s list has him ranked at 30, but is there a slight possibility he slips to later rounds based on these “attitude” problems? If there is a player I want the Oilers to draft and have develop, this is the guy. I wonder if this kid is even on their radar?

61. justDOit says:

Kirby,

According to that lovely Sun article (sources say…), the Ho Sang index is quite low, and trending downward. He’ll be an interesting player to watch in the draft.

Relevant? (watch til the end – amazing).

Kirby:

Just watching some of this kids highlights and he seems ridiculously skilled. I notice you have him going between 20-30, and Bob Mac’s list has him ranked at 30, but is there a slight possibility he slips to later rounds based on these “attitude” problems? If there is a player I want the Oilers to draft and have develop, this is the guy.I wonder if this kid is even on their radar?

Honestly, the only player who I evaluated somewhat on off-ice is DeAngelo, who is probably one of the 15 best players in the draft. I am certainly biased in that area.

Huh. I just read the interview. I didn’t know his story at all.

64. nycoil says:

Stastny testing the waters but Avs have right to match. That doesn’t sound like the hometown discount was much from the Stastny camp.

65. VanOil says:

Kirby,

If Ho-Sang is still available in the mid 2nd round I would trade all of the remaining Edmonton picks to select him. I am not yet confident that the Oilers have the development system they need to get the best out of him, but one can hope. He has a much higher chance of being an NHL hockey player than picks 91 through 2000.

66. wheatnoil says:

Lowetide: I have Ho-Sang No. 26 overall, wasn’t aware of any controversy over him as a player. His numbers are excellent, and I had a hard time placing him because of his numbers relative to Dal Colle. I did read that “he tries to do too much with the puck” but that’s not really something that strikes me as terminal.

Didn’t realize DeAngelo’s issues. Bit of a problem when he’s a repeat offender.

On another note, talks between Nikitin and Oilers are ongoing and heading in a positive direction according to McKenzie.

67. Ducey says:

VanOil:
    Kirby,

Not me. Looks like another Robbie Schremp, Robert Nilsson, etc.

Ducey: Not me.Looks like another Robbie Schremp, Robert Nilsson, etc.

I think that’s the worry. Real or imagined, NHL teams only have one bullet in the first round and can’t afford to waste it. Ho-Sang may be in that risk area for teams. It’ll be fun seeing him make them pay.

69. Pouzar says:

Ryan Malone bought out.

70. Bar_Qu says:

Ho-Sang sounds like the Canadian Omark. I wish him well, because no one in hockey will give him two chances.

71. FTO says:

Nikitin signed per Portzline

72. RexLibris says:

On Ho-Sang, it seems reminiscent of some other recent draft drops.

Schremp, Cherepanov, Chase, Ebert all fell. The latter two to the 7th round, and Ebert to the very last pick in his draft year despite starting the season rated in the top ten.

All fell due to perceived character issues. In Schremp’s case the scouts turned out to be correct. We’ll never know with Cherepanov and time will tell with Chase and Ebert.

I wonder if New Jersey would take Ho-Sang (if available) at #30. They’ve dealt with Jon Merrill and could certainly use some skill.

I’m not certain that Ho-Sang would be the best addition to the Oilers given the many conversations that surrounded Yakupov this season. It shouldn’t necessarily be an issue, but sadly it usually becomes one.

73. RexLibris says:

Mike Johnston takes over the Penguins.

Good move. Surprised it took a team this long.

So, now, Oilers. About Coach Laxdal…

74. Pouzar says:

FTO: Nikitin signed per Portzline

Brace yerself as per Stauffer yesterday. :)

75. RexLibris says:

Nikitin for the 137th pick (5th round) in this year’s draft as per Portzline.

76. Pouzar says:

Good start. Now sign Stastny for 8 x 8!!!

77. RexLibris says:

Player/prospect (10th overall pick) plus 2nd round pick = Perron

3rd round pick = Scrivens

5th round pick = Nikitin

Value found.

78. Pouzar says:

2 years for $ 9 million. Wow.

79. RexLibris says:

Callahan signed for 6 years at 5.8 million, per TSN.

That’ll be a contract to watch.

Kind of sets the bar for Statsny and Grabovski.

80. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    2 years for $ 9 million. Wow.

I don’t mind the money because the term is perfect.

81. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I don’t mind the money because the term is perfect. Makes one wonder though, how much is left in the piggy bank for Petry? Schultz will almost certainly get his share, but poor poor Petry (extra points if you can spot the reference!)

That’s how I feel. Term is key here imo.

I have a bad feeling RE: Petry

82. russ99 says:

IMO, if Ekblad and Draisaitl are gone, we’re trading down.

Likely in the 5-8 spot to nab Ehlers.