A LITTLE MORE ON LIAM COUGHLIN

I like to fill in some blanks on each draft selection in the days following the activity around the draft/free agency. One of the obscure picks during the draft this year was Liam Coughlin, to Edmonton. A lengthy search through the Gore gave me a little more than the first blush information.

noonanCoughlin will head to Boston University this fall, and an article (here) sheds some more light on the tricky Vernon to Boston connection:

• Playing in Vernon has been a common path for Catholic Memorial players looking to play in Hockey East. Former BU captain Garrett Noonan and former Merrimack College captain Mike Collins both spent at least one season in Vernon before coming to play in Hockey East.

Some other Coughlin facts:

• 6.02, 190.
  • 53GP, 18-27-45 with Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)
  • He’s from Southie and the Coughlin’s have some hockey playing history in the area.

Trevor Timmons (Habs scouting director) had him on the radar in 2013 (article here):

He’s my sleeper. He’s a strong, aggressive player. He’s been playing a lower level, but our Boston scout (Bill Berglund) recommended him.

36 Responses to "A LITTLE MORE ON LIAM COUGHLIN"

1. Yak2 says:

You and NHL.com list him at 6’2, the video says he’s 6’4, Elite Prospects has him at 6’3. Why can’t people ever have the correct information?

2. JamesL says:

One of the more troubling Oilers picks of recent times. Are there any comparable players who have made it to the NHL? Anyone? Bueller?

3. edmoil3 says:

I sense a coke machine era part deuce

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

JamesL:

I took a rough and ready look at BCHLers drafted from 2004-2010 here:

My take-away:

The players that get a sniff of NHL work out of that league (say, this trio from 2007: Kyle Turris, Riley Nash and Jamie Benn as the big success stories) reliably cover off two bases: they are drafted in their first year of eligibility and/or they score at or well above a point per game basis.

If we look at marginal-to-still-possible NHLers from this league from 2004 through 2010, we can identify one or two areas of concern, which probably relates to their struggles to hit the NHL running.

Tyler Eckford (2004; 7 NHL games) was drafted in his 19 year old season and failed to hit a point per game. But, he had 101 PIMs in 58 games. So, there’s a good chance he was drafted as a face-puncher. He spent last season struggling to score in the AHL.

Raymond Sawada (2004; 11 NHL games), also drafted in his 19 year old season, fell just short of a point per game pace (0.96). He spent last season in the SM-Liiga.

Zac Dalpe (2008; 96 NHL games), another player drafted in his 19 year old season, scored well above a point per game pace and spent most of the season last year with the Canucks. He’s a tweener at this point and a long-shot to hit 200 NHL games.

Derek Grant (2008; 25 NHL games) was drafted in his first year of eligibility and scored above a point per game pace. He is currently a tweener and has a slim chance to hit 200 NHL games.

Beau Bennett (2010; 47 NHL games), drafted in his 19 year old season, blew the doors off the point per game pace (2.14) and is, barring more injuries, going to hit 200 NHL games with no problem.

5. Yak2 says:

Based off the videos and that article, he seems like a very good pick:

- 2 way player
    - Physical, hard working, gritty,
    - Size, battles in the corners.

edmoil3:
    I sense a coke machine era part deuce

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: This guy doesn’t strike me as being a Coke Machine. I think they do like his size, but as a skill forward. Long shot’s long shot, he’s so deep there’s a chance he doesn’t get air for minutes at a time, but I don’t think he’s a coke machine.

He’s not a coke machine. He’s “New Coke”

They’ve moved on from Abney to Campbell. Evan Campbell is the new flag-bearer of the sizey draft pick.

Two things are good about this: 1) they are taking them after 100 now; 2) they are actually much better hockey players than Abney.

I still don’t think this kind of player is a good use of a draft pick.

I’d rather these guys get signed to AHL SPCs when they finish junior or whathaveyou; or if they go the college route… mark them through the years and try to sign them when they jump ship if they are good enough (NHL or AHL).

Much rather spend late draft picks on the Houcks and Betkers of the world. Range of skill guys, with some promise.

Romulus Apotheosis: He’s not a coke machine. He’s “New Coke”

I still don’t think this kind of player is a good use of a draft pick.

I’d rather they ‘draft and follow’ on a guy like Lane Bauer. He’s

1. playing in a strong league
    2. was buried by a mountain of depth
    3. has every chance to blossom next year

9. danny says:

Looked like he has decent hands, but those feet looked like cement. The guilty pleasure of scouts everywhere… a big guy that puts up numbers as a shitty skater.

“We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better…stronger…faster.”

Six million dollars depends on it.

10. Ducey says:

JamesL:

The Islanders drafted a Feb 1994 defenseman from the BCHL named David Toews in the 4th at pick 104.

Coughlin is 7 months younger and was picked in the 5th at 130.

The Jets picked Matt Ustaski in the 7th round. He is a May 1994 birthday.

5 picks from the BCHL this draft. 2 from the AJHL.

Any consolation?

The reality is these guys are going to college. In 4 years their NHL teams will unwrap the box and maybe they will have a Pisani.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Lane Bauer

so, basically more Platzers.

I can get with that.

12. RexLibris says:

If he’s the Oilers’ version of a Coke Machine, I’m okay with that, because there is at least the faint aura of offensive skill to him.

It could be worse. He could be Bryce Van Brabant. I mean seriously! How does someone get 384 PIMs in 151 AJHL games? http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39628

13. RexLibris says:

BTW, I recommend you all take a gander at the new elite prospects site. It is in beta right now, but I like some of the features.

I’ve been using it for awhile now to get ppg rates for different leagues, as well as position, cap hit, transfer history and physical stats. They’ve buried or gotten rid of the ppg rates for each league on the player stats, but I’m hoping it’ll be brought back along with some more advanced analytics.

Romulus Apotheosis: so, basically more Platzers.

I can get with that.

Yes, I think that’s a great description.

15. dsr29 says:

Yikes. Ugly skater.

16. Bank Shot says:

Taking really old draft eligible players that are playing in usually lesser leagues has been a trend since Stu took over in 2008.

Bendfeld, K.Jones, Bigos, McCarron, Laleggia, Campbell, Vesel, Coughlin.

The first three have proven to be big failures. I can’t imagine the rest of them accomplishing much being so far behind their peers in most cases.

I really wonder what the rational behind these picks are. Maybe the later rounds are such a crap shoot you may as well take an older guy that is more physically mature on the off chance you hit, and he is NHL ready quicker?

It just seems to me that taking these older players means you are still taking extreme long shots, but they also likely have less potential upside.

17. danny says:

It’s like we are trying to outflame the calgary scouting department! gOilers!

18. striatic says:

Bank Shot: I don’t get it. Does anyone know what the thought process behind these selections may be?

I’m too lazy to do it, but I’d really like to look across all NHL teams at all the sub 4th round picks that have played 82 NHL games in the past 10 years and see if there is a profile, and if the guys the Oilers have been picking are anywhere close to it.

Just out of curiosity.

19. Big Dan says:

A lot of talk about a long shot pick drafted late. I don’t mind them swinging for the fences on an overaged draft-and-follow as long as it’s not 3rd round picks on bums like Abney. I also laugh about the amount of talk spent on a 7th rounder on a long shot goalie. It’s a 7th rounder! Us Oiler fans are so passionate – it’s awesome.

Sorry to change topic, but my co-worker is good friends with Purcell. Grew up with him in Newfoundland. He is the nicest guy in the world according to her. A big skinny teddy bear who wouldn’t hurt a fly. Everybody who knows him adores him.

She talked to him yesterday. He was a little bummed as most players are after finding out they’d get moved. Not depressed say like when he was in LA/Manchester (was depressed and lacking in confidence back then). He heard the rumblings of a buyout so he wasn’t surprised. He just loved the night life and fun in Tampa. And he and Stamkos were best friends. But he is looking forward to Edmonton. Thinks he’ll be a nice fit. He is SO sick about people telling him to buy a winter coat. Weather doesn’t bother him; he grew up in Newfoundland.

He doesn’t hit (no mean streak whatsoever) so think Bouwmeester at forward without the speed. He doesn’t like to be “the” man so moving throughout the first 3 lines would likely appeal to him. He told MacT that he considers himself a solid two-way contributor. His girlfriend lives in Toronto so not much difference between St.Petersburg and Edmonton.

Another co-worker of mine is close friends with Jarret Stoll (she also called the Iggy to Colorado signing so I now worship her). It has not come out in the media yet but Stoll had a couple more concussions last year and his quality of life is depreciating. He is very scared he may have to retire and may take next year off, which explains why Lombardi is keeping Mike Richards. Stoll is engaged to a red hot reporter and is considering his long-term options (coaching, broadcasting). Too bad. I guess he got his life in order after a brief drug problem some years back. Still likes to party though.

20. KSC10032 says:

Since he’s a “southie” , should he ever make it — with that accent — at least the interviews should be hilarious.

“Wicked”.

Lowetide: I’d rather they ‘draft and follow’ on a guy like Lane Bauer. He’s

1. playing in a strong league
    2. was buried by a mountain of depth
    3. has every chance to blossom next year

But they can’t draft and follow those guys anymore.

They have to make a decision on CHL players in two years now.

You probably still won’t have enough info then to make a decision.

I think we are going to see a flip in drafting marginal CHLers late to drafting marginal college players late because you get the extra two years without having to put them on the 50 man.

The college FA period near the end of the year will be replaced with the CHL free agent period.

CHL is pretty picked over so it won’t be as fun.

Woodguy: But they can’t draft and follow those guys anymore.

They have to make a decision on CHL players in two years now.

You probably still won’t have enough info then to make a decision.

CHL is pretty picked over so it won’t be as fun.

Bank Shot:
    Taking really old draft eligible players that are playing in usuallylesser leagues has been a trend since Stu took over in 2008.

Bendfeld, K.Jones, Bigos, McCarron, Laleggia, Campbell, Vesel, Coughlin.

I really wonder what the rational behind these picks are.Maybe the later rounds are such a crap shoot you may as well take an older guy that is more physically mature on the off chance you hit, and he is NHL ready quicker?

Its not just the Oilers. Troll the other teams’ later rounds.

I think the thought process is this:

“We have to make decisions on CHL kids in two years so lets stay away from the marginal ones so we don’t make mistakes and plug up the 50 man”

“We’ll still take swings in the CHL late if warranted like Chase, or even Platzer and Houck”

“We can hold college kids’ rights for 4 years so let’s take the long swings on those kids because we have 4 years to watch them grow”

:”Let’s try to identify who will be the best college FA’s before they become college FA’s and grab their rights when nothing else is appealing on the board”

Lowetide: They’ve always had to make a decision on CHL players in two years. The problem with these kids who are 20 and playing in the BCJHL is that you’re seeing them with the puck. When this fellow gets to the NCAA, he won’t have the puck as often and he may not be fast enough/skilled enough to get it.

I thought it was 3 years before and just changed to 2?

I still think there is hand wringing about nothing though.

Lots of teams did a big walk about in later rounds this year.

It was that type of year.

Woodguy: I thought it was 3 years before and just changed to 2?

No. You draft a kid after his 17-year old season, when he’s 18. He plays two years in the CHL and then you sign him.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think WG and I are on the same wavelength here.

They want more time to evaluate these guys. And, they’ve got some serious buyer’s remorse on Abney (not just the pick but the contract). I bet on occasion they stub their toes over Tambo’s Ewanyk contract too.

28. doritogrande says:

Based on the LT write-up, I think we’re looking at a Dustin Penner ceiling rather than a Pisani.

Which is fine with me.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

doritogrande:

Which is fine with me.

You’re really blue-skying if you see either.

Woodguy: I still think there is hand wringing about nothing though.

Lots of teams did a big walk about in later rounds this year.

It was that type of year.

Oh God yes. And I’m the worst culprit.

31. doritogrande says:

You’re really blue-skying if you see either.

That’s why I prefaced it with the word “ceiling”

We’re more likely looking at Brock Radunske. I’d be elated with Colin McDonald.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I think WG and I are on the same wavelength here.

Luke Philp

Jordan Thomson

Bet he gets drafted next year.

Lowetide: Sure. And I would suggest you’re chasing Chris VandeVelde 2.0 and there are kids buried in the WHL who would be better choices.

Luke Philp

Jordan Thomson

Bet he gets drafted next year.

See, I think that’s a better idea with the CHL kids.

Draft them in their 18 year old year if they are a reach.

That extra year can be everything in figuring out how they will develop.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Luke Philp

Jordan Thomson

Bet he gets drafted next year.

I’m not sure how you figure that.

I don’t know the deep cuts from the CHL well and I really don’t know about the US kids.

My list for the Oilers for the 100+ picks was the following (in no particular order): Point, Tkachev, De Leo, Watson and the overagers Kulda and Descheneau.

I’m not sure those are good comps for CVDV.

But, I’m sure the kind of players you are picking out here (guys buried, or late bloomers) would suffice just as well for my tastes. As we talked last night, I like the Platzer pick (though I was hoping he’d bring more offence to OS this year when traded).

I much prefer these kinds of gambles 100+:

1. players in their draft year who score really well but are overlooked for one reason or another (usually size).

2. players in their draft year who have real potential if given opportunities

3. players in their draft +1 year who have blossomed late and remain overlooked

35. go_oil says:

It’s a curious draft strategy, as folks have pointed out, with the talent that was left on the board. This and the Evan Campbell pick do appear to be Hail Mary’s to find and then develop size and skill (not coke machines) through the college ranks. You would think there would be a bar of productivity that teams would draft at for each league. What’s the minimum BCHL point per game production you want? Ideally the “saw him good” strategy would merge with looking at the stats.

As a fan though, I’m pulling for Liam. It’ll be interesting how he does on what is apparently an up and coming Boston University Freshman group this year which includes Jack Eichel:

Also, I wonder if the Oilers are going to just try and sign more overage skilled/small WHL/junior players like Mitch Holmberg and Josh Winquist down to their affiliates instead of drafting them in late rounds.