A LITTLE MORE ON ZACH NAGELVOORT

A few facts on Zach Nagelvoort:

• Nagelvoort is the grandson of Dr. Paul W. Gikas, U-M professor emeritus of pathology and a former faculty representative (1982-88) for the U-M Athletic Department.
  • He is the sixth U-M player or commit to be selected by the Edmonton Oilers.
  • 1991   David Oliver (7th round, 144th overall)
    1999   Mike Comrie (3rd round, 91st overall)
    2002   Dwight Helminen (8th round, 244th overall)
    2003   David Rohlfs* (5th round, 154th overall)
    2005   Andrew Cogliano* (1st round, 25th overall)
    2014   Zach Nagelvoort (4th round, 111th overall)zach nagelvoort stats
  • In place of injured sophomore netminder Steve Racine, Nagelvoort became one of the best goaltenders in the NCAA and finished the season allowing just 2.20 goals per game, good for 15th among Division I goalies. Nagelvoort’s .929 save percentage placed him second only to Shawn Hunwick on the program’s single-season record list.
  • A single-game, school-record 63 saves in a double-overtime loss to Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament perhaps solidified Nagelvoort’s potential draft stock.
  • “I was talking to my dad about it — I have never been drafted by any team before. I never got drafted to the NAHL, to the USHL, or the OHL. When I was at those levels I was thinking, ‘man, am I going to be able to make it to the next level?’”
  • The Hockey Writers: Nagelvoort adds some size to Oilers future goaltending hopefuls with a 6’2 190lbs frame. He had a great season for Michigan where he held a 2.20GAA and 0.929SV%. But the most impressive stat might be a 63-save performance in March against Penn State that holds as the new record for most saves by a Wolverines goaltender. He’s been passed over in two drafts already and was in his last year of eligibility which may have more to do with a lack of exposure having spent the last three seasons prior in the NAHL. Nagelvoort is a project like Lagesson and the Oilers may get exposed for reaching with this pick. They’ve been off the mark alot on goaltenders in recent drafts and it’s still early to see what they have in the 20-year-old. He projects to stay in college for another season or two before turning pro. It’s worth noting that Brent Moran of the OHL Niagara Ice Dogs (CSS ranked 3rd among NA goaltenders) was still available and the Oilers passed instead to take the 20th ranked NA goaltender. Moran ended up going to the to Dallas Stars at 115th overall.   It’s still early to say what the Oilers have with the rangy goaltender who was the 20th ranked goaltender available and taken much earlier than expected. Nagelvoort could project as a future NHL goaltender of some sort but it’s still a project none the less.

12 Responses to "A LITTLE MORE ON ZACH NAGELVOORT"

1. zatch says:

“hey’ve been off the mark alot on goaltenders in recent drafts and it’s still early to see what they have in the 20-year-old. He projects to stay in college for another season or two before turning pro. It’s worth noting that Brent Moran of the OHL Niagara Ice Dogs (CSS ranked 3rd among NA goaltenders) was still available and the Oilers passed instead to take the 20th ranked NA goaltender. Moran ended up going to the to Dallas Stars at 115th overall. It’s still early to say what the Oilers have with the rangy goaltender who was the 20th ranked goaltender available and taken much earlier than expected.”

This made me laugh. A fun thing to do is go on Wikipedia and go through the drafts. At the top, it usually lists the top 10 skaters and 3 goalies for both NA and Europe. It’s really amusing to see how rarely any of the goalies even amounted to backups. CSS goaltender rankings are worth what we pay for them. Goalie development is voodoo, so the pretension in the above quote is a little rich.

I like the pick, he seems to have turned some kind of corner and his SP is all world this past season. Beyond that, it’s booga booga.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think the fact that he played for a team called “Compuware” deserves a lot more attention than it is getting.

4. nycoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

From their website with respect to their key software “Dynatrace”
    Knowing how your users interact with your application is critical to ensuring their satisfaction and your app’s overall success. Only with dynaTrace from Compuware APM can you capture 100% of every user’s transactions 24×7 from every device, browser and location – allowing you to correlate performance data into key business metrics.

Sounds like Corgis, no?! Actually jokes aside sound a bit Big Brother-level scary.

5. David says:

I thought Cogliano was on the Spartans and not the Wolverines. Nagelvoort is a decent bet (if there is such a thing for goaltenders). I’m very happy they went after a goalie because of his good save percentage after the close call with Fucale last year. Wins is and always has been the silliest way to grade a goaltender. Can they stop the puck is the question.

6. Hammers says:

Maybe a reach but that’s why you pay the scouts . Goalkeepers you never really know until there in there late 20′s anyway .

7. David says:

David,

I was wrong, it was the wolverines.

8. Zangetsu says:

Goalies Amirite? Lets talk again when he is sub .900 in the AHL.

9. JamesL says:

Fun fact: Chet Pickard, who languished in 6 games for the Barons and 21 more for in Bakersfield, posting SV% far, far south of .900 in each league, was an 18th overall pick of the Predators in 2008. I didn’t realize this until recently. I’m fine with the Oilers rolling the dice with draft picks on goalies, as long as they do it in the 5th-7th rounds absent extraordinary circumstances.

10. Mesmer says:

I think I’d be a little more excited about the pick if he was a Spartan. Man, we have had a lot of Spartans have success with the Oil.

Anson Carter, Jeff Brubaker, Bob Essensa, Norm Foster, Joe Murphy, Shawn Horcoff, Rem Murray, Craig Simpson, Mike Watt, Mike York, Corey Potter, and Jeff Petry.

That’s a nice list to come out of one school. I probably even missed a few.

11. haters says:

Goaltenders are irrelevant on the oilers and any other team that doesn’t play defence first hockey… The Nj devils would have won 3 cups by now with Taylor hall on their squad. They throw around the word culture a lot on the oilers but until they rid themselves of the selfish culture of putting yourself and your next contract before the team we will go nowhere in the standings … Obvious I know .. Or is it .. It’s really on the players this year to buy into a “from the goalie out” mentality. And don’t call it boring hockey, it’s just the opposite, winning is fun !

12. supernova says:

JamesL:

JamesL,

I agree with this completely.

Drafting goaltenders is still a big mystery. Aside from the odd Outlier like Carey Price.
    He was talked about in rare form though prior to his Draft, he was even considered an outlier prior to his draft and before blogs started using in advanced stats like today.

I have been to many WHL games over the last few years, and I have no idea how to judge goalies. Seen many of the goalies that have came through the dub over the last decade (including bunz about 75 times) and while I seen many good ones I couldn’t figure out how they might develop.

The only sure fire starter to me was Price.

Goalies to me have always been about development after they are in your organization. It seems at bats, and timing are the big keys.

Hopefully zack stays in college as long as he can.