BALL OF CONFUSION

Today’s signing of both Derek Roy and Mike Ribeiro by the Nashville Predators effectively reduced Craig MacTavish to five options:

• Sign Andrei Loktionov
  • Go with his current group
  • Trade with a cap-strapped team for a reasonable option
  • Make a hockey trade that sends away something of value from another area (defense, wing, prospects, picks)
  • Taylor Hall

ANDREI LOKTIONOV EXTRA SKATER

loktionov esI like him. Rom mentions he isn’t a natural center, but at this point the Oilers may have to proceed with less than ideal options. There are reasons to like this player, he’s highly skilled and should fit in with this group.

CURRENT GROUP

CENTER
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS
MARK ARCOBELLO
LEON DRAISAITL
BOYD GORDON
ANTON LANDER
WILL ACTON (Barons)
JUJHAR KHAIRA (Barons)
BOGDAN YAKIMOV (Barons)

This is not an attractive option, and gives fans someone to blame when it fails. Who to blame? Craig MacTavish. Leon Draisaitl is looking more and more like this decade’s Sam Gagner. A noxious thought, but the die appears to be cast.

CASH STRAPPED TEAM

One candidate we haven’t discussed here is  Chris Kelly of Boston. $3 million cap hit, he also has a no-trade contract. A two-way center who didn’t play in the postseason due to injury, and Boston found an able replacement in Carl Soderberg. If he waives, a nice landing spot is Edmonton. The club can use his experience, penalty-killing ability and he shouldn’t cost much to acquire in assets. He isn’t very good, though.

HOCKEY TRADE

petry common

Jeff Petry to Detroit should get you a nice center, bet he’d have value in other places too. I wondered at the time about the nature of that contract, maybe he’s headed to a team with cap issues like Boston.

TAYLOR HALL

hallcommoneee

Spoke with Jonathan Willis about this today, and we both agreed it’s not a grand idea. Taylor Hall is so comfortable and impactful on LW, why would you consider it? Answer: the absence of alternatives clears the mind. Le sigh. I said this the other day, and believe it to be true: Craig MacTavish overplayed his hand here. If he has a rabbit to pull out of his hat, now would be the time.

111 Responses to "BALL OF CONFUSION"

1. justDOit says:

But if he hadn’t acknowledged his need for a center publicly, I’m sure the fans would have fire-bombed Kingsway by now. Surely the other GMs know exactly what his needs are when they see MacT’s name come up on their call display, so I don’t see how playing it close to the vest helps this situation.

I think Godot made some good points in one of today’s previous comment threads – there’s still lots of time, and there are some big names and cash-strapped teams who have to blink before the season starts.

justDOit:

Lots of teams with room aside from Edmonton.

3. KSC10032 says:

Another in-house option might be Pouliot, who was drafted #4 overall as a centre. (I don’t remember when he was shifted to the wing).

I AM NOT advocationg this idea, but,…

A waiver claim in September may be a better interim solution.

4. misfit says:

I’m with everyone else who’d like to see Draisaitl eased into his role, but he wouldn’t be the first top 3 pick to go straight to the NHL in his post-draft year, and all the pre-draft verbal talked about how NHL ready he was.

Keeping Gordon at 3C (and he’s a legit NHL 3C) makes the depth chart look a whole lot more palatable.

Nugent-Hopkins
    Draisaitl
    Gordon
    Arcobello/Lander

See? Looks better already. And haven’t both lander and Arcobello both done enough to have earned a 4C role on this team?

5. v4ance says:

If we are targeting a centre from a cash strapped team, I’d aim higher than Chris Kelly. Looking at Boston, they need about $4.5 million of cap room to re-sign other remaining RFAs.

David Krejci makes $5.25 million and is in the last year of his contract with a limited 6 team NTC.

Would Lander+ prospect work?

6. John Chambers says:

I’d like to think that a few options will reveal themselves after players (like Schultz) are signed, and the arbitration process concludes and teams have a clearer picture of their available cap space, or lack thereof.

I few possible options I’m hypothesizing:
    1) there’s a deal to be made for Berglund. Stl could be asking for a first but may be willing to settle for a 2nd + Yakimov. Oilers might be hesitant to trade another 2nd especially in a deep draft, but might be willing to part with a 2nd + Musil.
    2) offer sheet Cody Eakin $4 M over 5 years, but again some reticence to surrender a 1st rounder
    3) a deal with Dallas for Horcoff for Joensuu and a 7th
    4) a deal with Boston that might include Petry and Lander for Chris Kelly and Boychuk and maybe a mid round pick or two from Boston
    5) a bigger deal with Philly that sees the Schenns move in to a downtown Edmonton condo for Petry and Arcobello
    6) a waiver pickup at the end of the preseason

In any event, 4 or 5 of these options actually provide a better option at 3C than Roy, and Ribeiro is a mess so who wants him bringing dimebags to the rink anyway.

v4ance:

Would Lander+ prospect work?

No. God no.

8. nycoil says:

v4ance,

If by prospect you mean Draisaitl, maybe

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 41s

Tyler Pitlick and Curtis Hamilton re-signed to one-year deals by the #Oilers. #OKCBarons

10. v4ance says:

You don’t think Krejci’s a fit or you don’t think that’s a viable deal?

We did get Perron out of St.L under similar circumstances last year.

11. CowtownOil says:

Hey LT,

Now that Nashville is loaded up with centres (I saw one list that said they had 8 NHL players who have played centre and 3 more bubbling under), how would Colin Wilson look at 3C? He’s a $2M cap hit for this year, then RFA. He’s got size, seems good for 10-15 goals and 35 points and looks like he might not have a chair when the music stops. What do you think it would take to shake him loose from the Preds? With our 3 line wingers, he might be a reasonable fit.

12. nycoil says:

Seriously wonder if it was Nelson or someone else that went to bat for Hamilton. He’s gotten more chances than a leopard has spots.

v4ance:

You don’t think Krejci’s a fit or you don’t think that’s a viable deal?

We did get Perron out of St.L under similar circumstances last year.

14. Factotum Pochemuchka says:

Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaug

CowtownOil:
    Hey LT,

Now that Nashville is loaded up with centres (I saw one list that said they had 8 NHL players who have played centre and 3 more bubbling under), how would Colin Wilson look at 3C?He’s a $2M cap hit for this year, then RFA.He’s got size, seems good for 10-15 goals and 35 points and looks like he might not have a chair when the music stops.What do you think it would take to shake him loose from the Preds?With our 3 line wingers, he might be a reasonable fit.

They have Fisher who is an injury worry, so I don’t think they make a move until he’s healthy.

16. Rondo says:

There must be someway outta here

17. gr8one says:

What about Stephen Weiss?

He could probably be had for very little going the other way and we might even be able to talk Detroit into retaining some salary. Until the injury bug bit the past two seasons he was pretty much what we all hoped Gagner would become, a decent two way C that could also contribute offensively, and he put up some really good numbers on a Florida squad that was pretty consistently bad. And it’s not like his injuries were degenerative or concussions, but things that heal very well over time (wrist, groin, sports hernia)

He’s not ideal size wise but if he regained his form, he’s still fairly young at 31, and is signed for 4 more years, if we could get two solid years of 2C out of him that would buy just the right amount of time to drop him down the depth chart to allow for Drais/Yakimov/Khaira.

I’m just surfacely looking at it though, what do you smart people out there have to say about him and his fancy stats prior to his injury bug?

18. Ca$h-Money! says:

I’m not convinced it’s fair to say he overplayed his hand here. I’m not sure the answer to our centre dilemma was available this offseason. The more I looked into Legwand the more I became pleased that we didnt get him. Some other short term deals could have been OK, but we just don’t know how much of a premium we would have had to pay, especially with respect to term. I don’t think to many people were interested in 1 year in Edmonton.

Bottom line, this team is loads better than it was 12 months ago. It’s not there yet, but hard to be upset about how MacT spent his summer vacation.

19. John Chambers says:

gr8one,

Pass on Weiss. That contract will cost us the ability to re-sign a quality young player not too long from now. Huge huge risk to that contract.

We’re literally better off rushing Drai.

20. Ca$h-Money! says:

Would it be possible to do Petry & Musil for Kelly and Boychuck with $1million of Kelly’s salary retained?

I’m ok with Kelly as a depth option but wouldn’t want to pay him
    3million after this year when cap space becomes more of a concern.

21. v4ance says:

Thought

Lowetide: Perron cost a second and a good young player. Krejci is an absolute killer. He would cost a great deal more than you’re suggesting. MUCH more.

Normally, I would totally agree with you that Krecji’s worth more but this isn’t a normal situation for the Bruins.

The $4.7 million of bonus overage caused by Iginla’s last contract really messed up their cap this season. Assuming someone takes Chris Kelly on waivers for free, they’d still need ~$1.5 million more cap room to fit their remaining RFAs under the cap. If no one picks Kelly off waivers, the Bruins would be forced to use a compliance buy-out on him and still need to drop $1.5 million. Speaking of which, Adam McQuaid and Gregory Campbell make around $1.5-1.6 million/yr and are also in the final years of their contracts

With one contract year remaining, Krejci’s really in the position of being a full year rental. Trading his $5.25 million contract would solve their cap issue in one swoop but they really can’t take much back in salary at all.

Evil thought would be to have someone offer sheet Reilly Smith and/or Torey Krug for about $2-2.5 million. Then they’d have to trade Krejci.

The other cash strapped team I look at is Chicago. They’re $2.1 million over the cap now and Versteeg makes $2.2 million(partial salary retained by Panthers). I bet Edmonton will have a shot at picking him up on waivers at the end of training camp this year.

22. John Chambers says:

Ca$h-Money!,

Good points.

Out of curiosity why are you sour on Legwand? I think 2 x 3.5 for him would’ve been ideal.

23. haters says:

Why is everyone panicking .. Nurse will push someone out, trade will happen in preseason or shortly after, relax lady’s .

24. John Chambers says:

v4ance,

Krejci is a legitimate top line C on a value contract.

They’d pretty much trade everyone else not named Chara or Bergeron before they parted with Krejci.

25. Ca$h-Money! says:

John Chambers:
    Ca$h-Money!,

Good points.

Just seems to be slipping fast, and based on how Detroit seemed to totally lose faith in him, I think he’s a risk. I would have been happier with a “worse” player on a shorter/cheaper contract, like Olli.

26. raventalon40 says:

We could swap a project prospect and a pick for Mike Fisher, throw him on LTIR and then run with Arcobello and Lander/Draisaitl until he’s ready to play again. Would be better return than Nashville could get from elsewhere for a long term injured player, and the Oilers would still be in the same position as now, but with the potential of acquiring an NHL veteran who will ready in a few months.

This is probably a trade that would happen in September or October as opposed to now, of course.

27. v4ance says:

Ca$h-Money!: Short answer is that his career arc screamed “BELANGER”. I remember being pumped to have signed Belanger, figuring he would challenge and or surpass Horcoff for 2c (Gagner at 1c… Jesus).

Just seems to be slippingfast, and based on how Detroit seemed to totally lose faith in him, I think he’s a risk. I would have been happier with a “worse” player on a shorter/cheaper contract, like Olli.

I had the same misgivings about Legwand. On Oilersnation, I pointed out that Legwand’s usage in Detroit based on TOI/game went from 2nd line C at the start of his tenure to 4th line C in the playoffs.

Detroit has always made their prospects stay in the AHL and show that they are overripe before giving them a chance at the NHL roster. The fact that Legwand was dropped in the lineup in favor of first year players Glendening and Riley Sheahan raised a huge red flag about Legwand’s ongoing effectiveness.

28. VanOil says:

raventalon40:

The money earner in the family is based in Nashville.

29. nycoil says:

LT,
    What do you think the fit between the Bruins and Oilers is for Chris Kelly? I know ricki is a huge fan of Kelly, but he’s probably a 3C on a good team?

And what goes the other way? Obviously the Bruins need cap space to sign Krug and Smith, but what do the Oilers offer that isn’t going to be too painful to give up that the Bruins would want?

30. Ryan says:

Ca$h-Money!:

On a positive note, at least we won’t face relegation if Nuge and Gordon both get injured at the same time.

How do you like them apples? Just imagine Arcobello — Drysaddle– Lander–Acton. What’s the over/under that we win a single hockey game with those centres?

Yeah, looking at the above contingency plan, I’m not upset about how Zmact spent his summer…….

nycoil:
    LT,

I’d much rather have a two-way C than a pure offensive guy like Roy, always have. If Nuge and Arco/Leon are your offensive guys, and Gordon is a pure defensive guy, I’d like a center who could penalty kill and take OZ faceoffs.

My guess is this:

My guess is worth the paper its printed on.

33. Zangetsu says:

I hope Hall to centre isn’t actually on the radar. I’m not so worried about his poor showing last year, it’s just that I don’t think his style of play suits itself to centre. I mean it’s hard to get back when you just launched yourself into the end boards. Hall (like many good players) often turns the puck over trying to make offence happen. Having him at centre gives one less guy as a first responder on defence.

John Chambers:
    v4ance,

Krejci is a legitimate top line C on a value contract.

That contract runs out this year.

I agree that he has to be an “untouchable”, but there is lots we don’t know.

BOS is still pretty $ strapped and they may have offered K a deal to re-up and he’s refused.

We simply don’t know.

35. nycoil says:

Based on the premise of not overpaying for stopgaps and having some good 2-way Cs because the Oilers have the offensive horses on the wings, I’m all for it. Just wondering what it might cost because the only area of “excess” I see is the prospect blue-line pool and I don’t want to cull that herd for a stop gap–rather keep the blue chippers for the mythical 3-for-1. We shall see!

36. Ryan says:

What about the Bolts? Still over the cap, already been a dance partner once…they have lots of depth at c.

Stamkos–flippula–Johnson–killhorn–Boyle …

Killhorn looks nice but he has a cheap contract and only 1 year left iirc.

37. nycoil says:

Ryan,

They LTIR Ohlund so they will be under the cap.

38. FastOil says:

I was thinking……..
    Trade for the RFA rights to Sobotka for a 2015 4th or a 2015 3rd. Offer him 3M x 3. I would go up to 3.25M for 2. My choice is control for 3 yrs to allow a trade deadline deal for value. Use him at 2C and then 3C long term if he’s good.

39. nycoil says:

FastOil,

Isn’t the arbitration hearing still going ahead? So it’s a one or two year deal at what the arbitrator decides upon his return to NA?

40. LMHF#1 says:

Peter Mueller.

Factotum Pochemuchka:
    Ryan Rishaug
    @TSNRyanRishaugAm told Oilers had interest in Ribiero on short deal, as did Rangers. No state tax in Nashville helps.

Cheap shot mode ON:

Better bars in Nashville, I expect, too.

42. speeds says:

nycoil:
    FastOil,

Normally teams and players are able to negotiate a contract right up until the time of arbitration (see EDM and Gagner reaching a 3 year deal the morning of his arbitration hearing).

I don’t know exactly if/how that is complicated by Sobotka having signed in the KHL, or if he has an out clause this summer, or has to wait until next year to exercise his out clause. But perhaps it is possible for a team to trade for his rights and sign him to 3 year deal, either starting next summer after he opts out in RUS, or for this fall if he does have an opt out for this summer?

LMHF#1:
    Peter Mueller.

He isn’t a center.

nycoil:
    LT,

Nothing. Boston should give the Oilers a draft pick with Chris Kelly for the cap space they would be freeing up.

45. Melman says:

It would seem the general consensus is that MacT the GM needs to add MacT the player. I love it.

46. jp says:

KSC10032:

I AM NOT advocationg this idea, but,…

He seems to have played C part time in 2008-09 while he was still breaking into the league. Since then he hasn’t had more than 1 FO/game in any season. It’s been a long while. And there’s no evidence he ever did it well.

47. nycoil says:

speeds,

I am pretty sure the arbitration hearing goes ahead, the arbitrator rules on the salary, Sobotka owes the Blues one year before he can be a UFA. So the team that trades for him will only have a one-year deal to work with. He also does not have an out-clause for this summer, but will next summer.

Arbitration hearing still scheduled for july 21

48. FastOil says:

nycoil:
    FastOil,

I’m not schooled in it, but wouldn’t he have refused that? Still, the Oilers have a history of trading with St L, and likely bad feelings with Sobo, so there must be some motivation on their part and some way to see it.

Edit: missed comments above.

49. nycoil says:

godot10,

While that may be the case in terms of what SHOULD happen, good luck with that happening.

50. nycoil says:

FastOil,

He did “refuse” it by going to Omsk, but it’s still going ahead. It is St. Louis’ right to make it happen.

51. speeds says:

nycoil,

It’s a funny case, I am not sure exactly how things work with the NHL/KHL agreement.

52. FastOil says:

nycoil:
    FastOil,

Gotcha, sorry. Still, why not go for it, looks like a value opportunity.

53. jp says:

John Chambers:
    v4ance,

Krejci is a legitimate top line C on a value contract.

And all 29 other teams would line up to bid if they did.

54. nycoil says:

speeds,

FastOil,

Seems he has an out-clause for this summer after all, and the amount he is making in Russia is a lot less than was first reported.

As far as his NHL rights are concerned though, he still owes the Blues a year and even if he stays in Russia, the NHL will just toll his contract until he does come back. There’s a precedent for it.

55. FastOil says:

nycoil:
    speeds,

FastOil,

A 2016 3rd for his RFA rights, and 3 x 3M. If he is bitter, 3.25 x 2. He is offered 2C based on coach love and at least isn’t a horror show given he’s a known quantity.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Rom mentions he isn’t a natural center”

just to clarify, he may well be a “natural center” (if by that we mean the position he is ideally suited for), but over the past 3 years he hasn’t played center in the NHL consistently or much at all (more than some of the options, josh bailey for example).

Love the player though (glad you brought him to my attention), and as I’ve mentioned before, they should sign him even if they grad a Frans Nielson or Anisimov.

57. nycoil says:

FastOil,

Even if that’s the case, I just can’t see the Blues helping out the Oilers like that for such a low cost. If the Oilers were in the East, maybe.

58. leadfarmer says:

They just drafted their 2nd line center. That was the fear I had with drafting the Kraut, he will be given the second line spot due to his physical maturity. MacT isnt going to make a trade. This is where we sit. At least we need more than a second line center to make the playoffs so i assume next year is another growing year. I dont think the additions to the roster is enough to get us higher than 10th in the west.

59. RexLibris says:

As I see it the Oilers need a 2C who can play a solid road game when the match ups aren’t in your favour.

If we had to choose one of Kelly, Loktionov or Arcobello for that role, I think I’d go with Arcobello for the following reasons.

1. He is internal and costs nothing to acquire at this stage.
    2. His numbers suggest he can handle tough opposition. http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/07/arco-2c-word-and-music-by-woodguy.html
    3. He is as short-term as short-term is going to get at this stage if the Oilers want to either return Draisaitl to junior or ease him in lower in the depth chart.
    4. As LT has stated repeatedly, he has overcome every single obstacle put in front of him. If he were six inches taller he’d be bigger than the Beatles in this town.

Is it an ideal arrangement? Hell no, but this team has gone into battle with far, far worse these past few years and we know that one thing Arcobello won’t leave fans wanting is effort. If it keeps MacT from making a bad deal because he is vulnerable, or prevents the team running Taylor Hall down the middle to start another season, or throwing our chips in with a new player and short odds on success, I’ll take the in-house fix.

60. jp says:

Ryan: The problem in my mind is less about Arcobello at 2 c than about our lack of depth.

That’s how I feel too. There’s a decent chance Arco/Draisaitl can play half ways passable 2/3C. Likely acceptable given the improved depth on the wings (and the modest expectations for the coming season). Hell, maybe Lander can even manage 3C with 2 NHL wingers. But the depth chart goes from “OK if things break right” to “an unsightly pile of turd” in an instant if Nuge goes down with an injury.

Maybe that’s OK with MacT at the helm rather than Tambellini. Some sort of move to plug the hole later (should the need arise) might outweigh the cost of making that move now. Or maybe not – I don’t know.

In terms of Loktionov, he’d provide some depth, but wouldn’t really address the uncertainty at 2/3C. He’s had nice Corsi numbers, but quite an OZ start push. And he doesn’t appear to be much of a scorer. He might be an OK 3C, but he sure doesn’t look like a 2C option. He’d be a nice addition to the team generally (and would likely only cost 2X1M), but he’d do little to address the area of need.

61. FastOil says:

One has to think Sobotka had transgressed an unwritten law (think ‘Spiny Norman’) , and therefore is not wanted by Armstrong and a good enough offer works.

62. RexLibris says:

On another note, and I apologize for any possible threadjacking here, but with the hiring of Renney for Hockey Canada I began thinking about the most recent coaches for the Oilers.

Renney – hired as an assistant by Babcock after leaving the Oilers and then made President and CEO of Hockey Canada.

Krueger – hired as a special scout by Hockey Canada prior to the 2014 Olympics, then hired by Southhampton of the EPL as director before being made Chairman in March.

Tambellini, since being let go by the Oilers, has gone on to do some part-time scouting for the Anaheim Ducks but has otherwise been out of the hockey world picture.

Seems to me the Oilers got the coaching hires more or less right, although I think Krueger was the poorer option of the two in spite of results, and the GM was the Achilles Heel of the operation these past few seasons.

Perhaps this is food for thought when the calls for Eakins’ removal begin again this coming fall.

63. nycoil says:

FastOil,

Whatever team trading for him has to do it before the arbitration hearing and agree to a contract with him before then, otherwise the arbitrator will set his price on a one-year deal. They can’t sign him to a 3-year contract after the hearing, not until next summer. As the article from SI point out, unless the arbitrator rules in the player’s favor, he isn’t coming back to the NHL this year.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“He isn’t very good, though.”

this might be you at your most straightforwardly negative on a player.

———–
    I was thinking about Hall at center the other day when looking at Dallas’ center depth after I heard something on Stauffer’s show.

Benn was converted to center (never even played in junior). Him and Seguin basically split the duties this year. Benn took 778 draws to Seguin’s 677 and they were basically attached at the hip

at any rate, that got me thinking two things…

If we were in Dallas… would the we have stuck with Hall longer at Center? I suspect without the glare of the media and the high pressure to win, Hall might have gotten 20 games or so to really try it out.

At any rate, I don’t see them going back to it, unless some kind of repeat of the 2012-13 season occurs and everyone at C dies.

65. teddyturnbuckle says:

We need a centre more than anything. Not only to protect Leon but to protect nuge also. MacT can’t leave Nuge on an island against the tough competition at 20 years old.

66. Marcus Oilerius says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hall complained – well, not *complained*, because you can’t in this stupid market – but he commented vociferously about how he felt most comfortable at Left Wing and his results at centre were decidedly lackluster.

Given his speed- and breakout-based game, it makes sense, too. Slower big guys like Benn don’t rely on crashing through the blue line and blazing past the defence for their scoring.

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Given his speed- and breakout-based game, it makes sense, too.Slower big guys like Benn don’t rely on crashing through the blue line and blazing past the defence for their scoring.

I think you are reading a lot into Hall’s remarks here.

68. nycoil says:

speeds,

I see you searching around in the twitter-verse for it and appreciate your doing that.
    If the SI article is to be believed he has an out-clause for this summer, which I haven’t seen reported elsewhere. All other references are to the contract having an out-clause “after” each season.

I think certainly teams can trade for his rights if they want. Just like the Oilers trade Hartikainen’s rights, the Jets could trade Burmistrov’s rights, etc.

The problem with the Oilers or any team giving up anything for him is that it seems pretty obvious Sobotka’s not going to sign a multi-year deal short of obscene money being thrown at him. He just missed being a UFA by being born 2 days too late.

Armstrong has said he offered north of $3M per on a multi-year deal (but only $2.7M on a one-year) and was rebuffed. He could be posturing, but, sounds like Sobotka wanted to get paid for one year before becoming a UFA and picking his destination.

So, likely scenarios… 1) Arbitrator awards him $3M+ and he decides to come back to the Blues for a year, 2) Arbitrator sides with the Blues and he plays at least a year in Omsk; the NHL tolls the contract and he has to play out that one year with the Blues if and when he does return to the NHL at the salary the arbitrator agrees to. 3) A team trades for his rights before arbitration and convinces him to give up UFA years for a hefty price. In scenario 3 the team trading for his rights better do some serious due diligence because if you give up anything for him and he walks after a year it’s not going to look good.

Blues really have no incentive to give him away to a western team for peanuts, either.

69. wheatnoil says:

nycoil:
    speeds,

OR: arbitrator sides with Sobotka, Blues decide to keep him. Now maybe Berglund is available again because the Blues have an extra centre with a lot of money tied up.

70. nycoil says:

wheatnoil,

Possibly the latter because Armstrong said if Sobotka came back he’d keep him and insinuated he’d move someone else.

“We hope that he’ll be at training camp under that contract,” said Armstrong, who added that the arbitration-determined contract would advance to future years in the event Sobotka decided to come back to the NHL before his KHL deal expired.
    “If he shows up at training camp, good for us — I’ll have to get my dancing shoes on and get back under the cap at that point,” Armstrong said. “But we’ll do that to keep a valuable player like Vladi in the organization.”

71. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I not necessarily a fan of another Hall at centre experiment… That being said last time he was given what Snytty (who was completely done as a top six option)and Hemsky for wingers.

On some level that I hate to admit, I’d e curious how Hall looked at centre with Nuge still in the lineup to take the toughs (I.e. at a home game). Plus with a better LW than Smyth.

Perron–Nuge–Eberle
    Pouliot–Hall–Percell
    Yak–Drasaitl–Arco
    Lander–Gordon–Hendricks

Yikes, now forget that I said this…

72. wheatnoil says:

nycoil:
    wheatnoil,

Given they only have 3.4M is cap room and still have to re-sign Schwartz, Armstrong’s not kidding, he’ll have to dance to get under the cap if Sobotka comes back. The Oilers ‘helped’ them out last year when they were going to have trouble resigning everyone…

73. Rosco says:

“Jeff Petry to Detroit should get you a nice center…”

I’m curious what Helm would look like on this team… Seems like a Perron type build, with wicked speed and a sound defensive mind for he game. Would the loss of Petry be mitigated by the signing of McBain or Benoit, or by trading for a Boychuk from Boton?

A quick glance where a Petry for Helm then a pick/prospect for Boychuk series of trades would look pretty nice on paper no?

74. Caustic says:

Any thoughts about a possible trade with Detroit.

Riley Sheahan — Jeff Petry.

I am one of the last people that want to see Petry traded, but seeing as his name has been out there way more then I like /shrug

Obviously somethings might have to be added to either side

75. Gerta Rauss says:

MLB in Montreal..?

You can probably file this with hell freezing over and bigfoot sightings, but it’s fun to talk about. I might start watching baseball again.

76. Gerta Rauss says:

Rondo:
    There must be someway outta here

…said the joker to the thief….

77. Gerta Rauss says:

Godot has had several lucid thoughts this summer when he’s not screeching about Eakins — I tend to agree that patience is called for here. There are several teams that have lots of work to do with their rosters, either to get cap compliant or simply to add some balance.

Our perch on the waiver wire and some available cap space may reward us if we’re patient – it may take until late into training camp, but patience is the play here.

78. Stanley 2018 says:

MacT said straight out he wanted to bring in a stop-gap 2C. It just didn’t work out. Instead he got us 3 legit Dmen, 2 legit wingers, got our 2 big RFA resigned (Schultz is only a matter of time), didn’t give up any 2015 draft picks, and will still have $5MM in the bank. I’d say that’s nice work. Don’t blame him for the holes he didn’t fill, the Oilers were leaking from every orifice.

Hey, remember when Renney played Hall/Nuge/Eberle on the 2nd line behind the experienced Horcoff/Hemsky line to protect his new kids with “soft minutes” and fans ran him out of town for not letting the kids play? I found that under the carpet..

While the idea of playing Draisaitl 2C is not ideal, it didn’t hurt The Nuge’s development, and he doesn’t have the big German kids size. Maybe we can finally have a guy who doesn’t get shoulder surgery for his 20th birthday. And maybe Draisaitl will thrive with the challenge as the best athletes always do. Yes, we will suck in the face-off circle again, but maybe what MacT did bring in will mask some of the problems that creates, and maybe Arco can help relieve some of the pressure, and maybe next season- when this team will be fighting for a playoff spot- this conundrum won’t seem so bad.

Man I wish we had another Center..

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rosco:
    “Jeff Petry to Detroit should get you a nice center…”

I wonder if they wouldn’t prefer Andersson. I probably would.

Romulus Apotheosis: I wonder if they wouldn’t prefer Andersson. I probably would.

Andersson is an interesting player. WG mentioned him more than a year ago, he had a struggling season but maybe it’s a buy low summer.

81. Rosco says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

“They” as in the Oilers? I would prefer Helm after taking a peek at his face off stats a place on Vollman’s chart… Nothing outstanding but not bad either. That combined with his age, contract length and experience would make sense for this team.

82. Shau-co says:

My gut is telling me it will be Lecavalier plus from Philly.

83. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: He isn’t a center.

Is there a faceoff stat I’m missing? He’s listed as a C everywhere.

84. speeds says:

wheatnoil: Another possibility: the arbitrator sides with Sobotka. The Blues, having signed Ott already, walk away from the offer making Sobotka a UFA.

OR: arbitrator sides with Sobotka, Blues decide to keep him. Now maybe Berglund is available againbecause the Blues have an extra centre with a lot of money tied up.

If there is an award they aren’t comfortable paying, they might not choose to toll the contract if he Sobotka leaves for the KHL, but if Sobotka has an out clause he would probably exercise it in that case.

85. speeds says:

nycoil,

The incentive the Blues have is, if they don’t trade him and don’t want to pay him what he’s asking for, getting a return now vs waiting to potentially get a year of him as a Blue in the uncertain future.

Say the Oilers were willing to trade Petry for Sobotka, with the idea that they sign him to a 4 year, 16M contract (details are not that important to STL, but for the sake of argument). STL could either trade for Petry as a player or a trade asset now, or wait for some time in the future when they might get a year of Sobotka, assuming he returns to the NHL.

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rosco:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Andersson took more draws this year

He’s also two years younger and only has a year left on his deal. than he’s an RFA and might want a raise DET doesn’t want to pay.

Either really would help. I don’t part with Petry for either though.

87. wheatnoil says:

speeds: The Blues aren’t allowed to walk away from Sobotka as it was club elected arbitration.

Didn’t realize that. Thanks for the info.

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LMHF#1: Is there a faceoff stat I’m missing? He’s listed as a C everywhere.

Mueller.

The last year we have of him in the NHL he was on the wing

and apparently he played wing in the NLA this year.

He’s a guy with some history at center… but no real track record at the pro level at the position.

You sign him for depth reasons and because he’ll probably be cheap and willing to play up and across the lineup to re-make himself as an NHLer, not because he’s a center and we need centers.

89. nycoil says:

speeds,

No doubt. I was responding to proposals like 2016 3rd rounder for his rights. If the Blues move Sobotka to a Western team, they’d be seeking something of value, like a Petry.

90. LMHF#1 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Mueller.

The last year we have of him in the NHL he was on the wing

and apparently he played wing in the NLA this year.

Thanks for the info. Agree that he’s still the sort you sign.

91. PerryK says:

CowtownOil:
    Hey LT,

I second this option!

92. Hammers says:

We still have 5 teams basically with cap problems , Philly ,Chicago , Tampa ,Boston ,& Washington with Boston in the most trouble still with 4 RFA’s to sign ,over the cap & only 19 signed . You can’t tell me McT isn’t working the phones with these teams but I’m sure other GM’s are as well . 4 are from the East so you would think the Western teams are favored . We have 8.7 with Schultz to sign . My guess is that gives us 4 to 4.7 .Forget we need a “C” right now & he takes best player in his price range . My guess is Coburn or Schenn , Oduya , Ohland & Boychuck may just be the easiest to get for a draft pick . Would anybody complain if we got another “D” and run with the centers / wingers we have ???? As much as we need another “C” any of the above for a year could really help our team .

93. Hammers says:

Guess i’m for BPA in exchange for very little ,2nd or 3rd dependent on who . .

94. Ribs says:

The Eronko Angle is really starting to look like a very real possibility right now. BOLD.

95. VanOil says:

You all seem much more confused or sober than I am.

Do you not realize the Lecavalier is an Oiler and we will give up a roster player to obtain him?

Just kiding (yes we birth live sheep during blog comments in lotus land), he is a Senator and Hemsky non-equivalent Zack Smith is an Oiler for picks.

Wait, wait, a waiver pick up will save us.

Still, better than last year, or the 7 before.

What do you mean we are out of Okanagan wine, that piss water doesn’t travel well.

Summertime/Sunstroke

96. VanOil says:

It is late but if I am inferring correctly Dellow’s late tweets that there might be a correlation between Ozone penalties and being a Corsi gods, or at least a decent dog handler.

Smythy, the old slow dog he was in his final years is the exception that proves the rule.

Pouliot and Perron are the case in point. Welsh dog herders that pay the price.

Is this the equivalent of the Seahawks press defense, where an penalty on D can be called on every play at the line but the odds of it being called are very low and the odds of a penalty in the modern NFL on a defender later in the play is very high?

Maybe it is worth the price? Is MacT and Eakins as smart as LT’s favorite NFL coach? What say you NYCOIL / Pouilot expert? and I assume NFL literate sports fan because you are in longer in Japan.

97. Rocknrolla says:

VanOil: The money earner in the family is based in Nashville.

GOLD

98. oilswell says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    We need a centre more than anything.Not only to protect Leon but to protect nuge also.MacT can’t leave Nuge on an island against the tough competition at 20 years old.

I can’t disagree with you because I endorse this general viewpoint.

This said, RNH is a #1 all draft pick with two years under his belt. Draisaitl is a #3 OV. These are quality players and the Oilers don’t the centre depth of the Kings. They don’t. They won’t. I have a hard time getting up in arms about it for this season, honestly, because long term it looks better than it has in a while (to me Gagner was always an NHL winger).

Related aside: part of me wonders if the amount of pearl clutching of the Oiler fan base must be constant year-to-year, and whether the improvements elsewhere have concentrated the clutching at 2C.

99. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I wonder if a player like Burmistrov could shake loose from Winnipeg. While I don’t think he’s a long term option for 2C he could fill in until Draisaitl is ready.

He should come cheap, would be a good 3rd center, has a fondness for Ramsey and has the potential to be a top 6 C.

He had a decent season in the KHL last year.

These are his numbers from Extra skater.

100. Yeti says:

This thread has too much confusion. I’m off to ON to get some relief.
    Yesterday Ribiero drunk my wine, Derek Roy dug my earth.
    While RelCorsi’s unclear about what their cap hit’s worth.
    Sure, there may be no reason to get excited – it’s only mid-July,
    And MacTavish could have a three for one lined up, just to make LT cry.
    But you and I have been through this and we know our fate,
    Our lineup still has major holes in it, and the hour is getting late.
    All along the Rexall the bloggers kept the view.
    While Ales Hemsky came and went, the hobbit Gagner too.
    Outside in the distance a corsi did growl,
    Leon Draitsil is approaching 2C, and the western conference began to howl

101. Ca$h-Money! says:

How do you like them apples?Just imagine Arcobello — Drysaddle– Lander–Acton.What’s the over/under that we win a single hockey game with those centres?

I get that we lack depth, and obviously it’s worse for us than most , but not to many teams look strong losing their two most important centres simultaneously. How does Boston look without Krejci and Bergeron?

I get that it’s an issue, but if they struggle at least they have better wingers, goaltending, defence , and coaching to lighten the load.

102. nycoil says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

I was looking at him, too but he didn’t exercise his out clause and has committed to the KHL one more year.

103. nycoil says:

VanOil,

If you’re referring to one Pete Carroll it is interesting you mention now that I am back from Japan I may know a bit about the NFL. He isn’t my favourite person in the world based on his role in the USC recruiting scandal and subsequent escape to the NFL. However his players love him. One of my good friends in Tokyo was the full back on the Trojans teams with Reggie Bush et al. He went on to play for the Seahawks before Pete arrived there. Lovely guy. Loved Pete. Not a bad word to say about him.

As for your reference to the Dellow tweets I went and had a read this morning. I guess I’ve been toying with that idea myself the last while. Pouliot is a good player who takes what looks like more o-zone penalties than the average Joe. Perron is similar but has a much better shot. I don’t think there is enough evidence yet to say correlation equals causation, but would love to see some more work done on it. I think there are plenty of possession monsters like ROR or Krejci who don’t take a lot of o-zone PIMs.

104. Deadman Waiting says:

Word of the day

Ambidextrose: Able to pull off a clean wipe with either hand.

I know “dextrose” means “sugar”, but it seems to work for the magically dissolving cellulose whiteness. Must have something to do with M&Ms.

In related news, pinking the center of your thumb with a 10″ chef knife “clears the mind” about one’s exact performance of extremely mundane activities. My left hand was holding the knife under running water, and my right hand was returned from depositing a recently rinsed dish when it snagged slightly on a loose shirt.

In the book Marathon Man I’m pretty sure there’s a riff on this. Ah, yes, I’m so good. (Ever since the invention of search engines, I’ve been patting myself on the back hourly.)

To prevent a master technician from performing at peak efficiency, not a great deal has to be done. This surprises most people, but is nonetheless true. To prevent a hook shot by Abdul-Jabbar, you don’t have to knock him down. You don’t even have to come in contact with his hand. A simple nudge at the elbow is sufficient to make a missile lose target, and just so, the one in the raincoat did not need to do a great deal to Scylla—just hold tight to Scylla’s hand for a brief moment; one brief moment, really, and that was enough.

Fortunately my own hefty blade was aimed at my thumb and not my jugular.

———

The discount of playing your hand to achieve complete certainty in filling all of your holes—when you enter the day with several—is so great as to be completely insane. You have to fill a hole early, another hole in the thick of things, and position yourself so that you have a fair shot at landing the last essential piece as the market thins.

This last step is never going to be a sure thing. Predicting tail markets is a mug’s game.

The alternative is signing two pre-emptive overpays before the thick of things, ambidextrosely, I suppose.

105. FastOil says:

A player who ‘defects’ to the KHL, previously making under 2M, is not garnering a top 4 D. It doesn’t make any sense. Maybe a second round pick, but not 2015. Lord knows why St L traded Perron for Pajaarvi. Well I suppose it was cap relief.

The guy is not a star my friends, just a decent role player who has probably ended his NHL career given the insular old school group that run the league, including the Oilers. And St L after looking at capgeek is at 22 and won’t sign Schwartz and Sobotka with what they have left. An asset is better than no asset. Sobotka signed and behaving isn’t worth Petry.

106. bry_oil says:

nycoil,

He is also one of the four players in the KHL who’s salary doesn’t count against a teams cap. Kovalchuk, Kostytsin, and Radulov are the others. Have to imagine he’s make a lot of money and that the KHL is trying to use him as a poster boy for have good, young Russians in their league.

107. Bank Shot says:

Factotum Pochemuchka:
    Ryan Rishaug

I’m sure an extra million dollars would have overcome that advantage.

With the amount of centers available this off season and the low contracts given to most of them I can’t believe that Mact was seriously pursuing a stop gap.

Which is really too bad. Saving Draisaitl’s entry contract for a year or two is really the smart move. Why can’t the Oilers do the smart thing every once in awhile?

108. theres oil in virginia says:

Yeti:
    This thread has too much confusion. I’m off to ON to get some relief.
    Yesterday Ribiero drunk my wine, Derek Roy dug my earth.
    While RelCorsi’s unclear about what their cap hit’s worth.
    Sure, there may be no reason to get excited – it’s only mid-July,
    And MacTavish could have a three for one lined up, just to make LT cry.
    But you and I have been through this and we know our fate,
    Our lineup still has major holes in it, and the hour is getting late.
    All along the Rexall the bloggers kept the view.
    While Ales Hemsky came and went, the hobbit Gagner too.
    Outside in the distance a corsi did growl,
    Leon Draitsil is approaching 2C, and the western conference began to howl

…hey!

109. Ca$h-Money! says:

Bank Shot: I’m sure an extra million dollars would have overcome that advantage.

Like hiring Ramsay? Signing Mark Fayne for good value? Recognizing the importance of advanced stats in acquiring Pouliot?

110. nycoil says:

FastOil,

That’s your opinion. Petry is a UFA in a year. Like Sobotka. Their values are probably pretty similar. Can’t really blame Sobotka for feeling slighted by Armstrong and hedging his bets. If he wins on arbitration he may come back.

111. Bank Shot says:

Ca$h-Money!: Like hiring Ramsay?Signing Mark Fayne for good value?Recognizing the importance of advanced stats in acquiring Pouliot?

Those were decent moves. Mact should have continued down that path by adding more experience.

Instead it looks like they will roll the dice on youth again. Maybe it will turn out better then the last 7 years. I’m not holding my breath.