DRAFT AND COLLEGE, VOL 1

Over the years, I’ve seen the Edmonton Oilers wall off entire areas of draft-eligibles for one reason or another. The Russians were off limits for many years, and they spent years drafting Swedes only after the good ones were taken. Sometimes they loved the NCAA, and then they didn’t love the NCAA. The club’s obsession with speed has been pretty much constant through the years, but there was most of a decade devoted to coke machines.

One area Craig MacTavish seems to be interesting in mining: draft and college. Selecting players from leagues that can feed into the NCAA, allowing the drafting team four years of evaluation. Edmonton has done this before:

DRAFT AND COLLEGE 2000-04

• 2000—D  Jason Platt in the 8th round. Drafted out of Omaha (USHL) after 18-year old season. Attended college at Providence and signed with the Oilers after full four years in NCAA. Turned pro at 23.
  • 2001—C Eddie Caron in the 2nd round. Drafted out of Phillips-Exeter Academy (USHS) after 18-year old season. Attended college at New Hampshire, transferred but it got derailed or he left Dodge and he turned pro with Greenville Grrrowl at age 22.
  • 2001—C Jake Brenk in the 5th round. Drafted out of Breck School (USHS) after 18-year old season. Attended Minnesota State-Mankato all four years, turned pro at 23 by signing in Holland.
  • 2002—D Matt Greene in the 2nd round. Drafted out of Green Bay (USHL) after 18-year old season. Attended UND for three seasons, turned pro at 22 by signing with the Oilers. Greene would play in the SCF’s that season.
  • 2002—G Glenn Fisher in the 5th round. Drafted out of Ft. Saskatchewan (AJHL) after 18-year old season. Attended U Denver for four years, and turned pro with the Oilers age 24.
  • 2002—L Patrick Murphy in the 7th round. Drafted out of Newmarket (OPJHL) after 18-year old season. Attended Northern Michigan for four years, and turned pro at age 23 by signing with Laredo (ECHL).
  • 2003—R Colin McDonald in the 2nd round. Drafted out of New England (EJHL) after 17-year old season. Attended Providence College for four years, turned pro at 22 by signing with the Oilers.
  • 2003—R David Rohlfs in the 5th round. Drafted out of Compuware (NAHL) after 18-year old season. Attended Michigan for four years, turned pro at 23 by signing with the Oilers.
  • 2004—C Geoff Paukovich in the 2nd round. Drafted out of USNDTP after 17-year old season. Attended U Denver for three years, and turned pro at 21 by signing with the Oilers.

That’s 9 players, quite the collection. Four of them (Eddie Caron, Matt Greene, Colin McDonald and Geoff Paukovich) were second round selections and two of those (Greene and McDonald) have played in more than 100 games. Matt Greene has enjoyed an NHL career of over 500 games so far, and would have to be considered the star of the 2000-04 group. Did the Oilers choose these players in order to gain freedom in terms of signing them? They certainly we able to time the signings in a way that was advantageous, although they did shoot their AHL team between the eyes during this decade so one wonders if they were sophisticated enough to be pondering such things.

DRAFT AND COLLEGE 2005-09

• 2005—C Andrew Cogliano in the 1st round. Drafted out of Toronto St. Mike’s (OPJHL) after 17-year old season, he played at Michigan for two years and turned pro at age 20 with the Oilers.
  • 2005—D Taylor Chorney in the 2nd round. Drafted out of Shattuck-St. Mary’s (USHS) after 17-year old season, he played for UND for three years and turned pro at age 21 with the Oilers.
  • 2005—C Robby Dee in the 3rd round. Drafted out of Breck (USHS) after 17-year old season, he went to Omaha (USHL) for two years and then college (Maine) for four years before turning pro at age 24 in the ECHL.
  • 2005—C Chris VandeVelde in the 4th round. Drafted out of Moorhead (USHS) after 17-year old season, he went to Lincoln (USHL) for one year and then college (UND) for four years before turning pro at age 23 by signing with the Oilers.
  • 2005—L Matt Glasser in the 7th round. Drafted out of Fort McMurray (AJHL) after 17-year old season, he stayed another year in the USHL and then hit college (U Denver) for four years before turning pro at age 23 in the CHL.

That’s ALL in one draft year.

• 2006—D Jeff Petry in the 2nd round. Drafted out of Des Moines (USHL) after 17-year old season, he stayed another year in the USHL and then hit college (Michigan State) for three more years before turning pro at age 22 by signing with the Oilers.
  • 2007—C Riley Nash in the 1st round. Drafted out of Salmon Arm (BCJHL) after 17-year old season, he attended Cornell (NCAA) for three years before turning pro at age 21 by signing with the Carolina Hurricanes.
  • 2009—D Troy Hesketh in the 3rd round. Drafted out of Minnetonka (USHS) after 17-year old season, he derailed.
  • 2009—D Kyle Bigos in the 4th round. Drafted out of Vernon (BCJHL) after 20-year old season, he attended Merrimack College (NCAA) for four years before turning pro at age 24 by signing with the San Jose Sharks.

DRAFT AND COLLEGE 2010-12

• 2010—F  Kellen Jones in the 7th round. Drafted out of Vernon (BCJHL) after 20-year old season, he attended Quinnipiac (NCAA) for four years before turning pro by signing with the Oklahoma City Barons for his 24-year old season.
  • 2012—C Jujhar Khaira in the 3rd round. Drafted out of Prince George (BCJHL) after 17-year old season, he attended Michigan Tech for one year and Everett (WHL) for one year and he’ll turn pro this fall at age 20 and is signed by the Oilers.

DRAFT AND COLLEGE 2013-14 (MACT ERA)

• 2013—F Aidan Muir in the 4th round. Drafted out of Victory Honda Midget (MWEHL) after 17-year old season, he played with Indiana (USHL) last season and will attend Western Michigan University in the fall.
  • 2013—L Evan Campbell in the 5th round. Drafted out of Langley (BCJHL) after 20-year old season, he played with UMass-Lowell (NCAA) last season and will be back again in 2014-15.
  • 2014—L Liam Coughlin in the 5th round. Drafted out of Vernon (BCJHL) after 19-year old season, he’ll play with either Vernon or Boston University this coming season (there seems to be evidence they’re moving his NCAA start time back one year).
  • 2014—F Tyler Vesel in the 6th round. Drafted out of Omaha (USHL) after 20-year old season, he’ll play with at U Nebraska-Omaha next season.

Since the turn of the century, Edmonton has:

• chosen 24 ‘draft and college’ players
  • twelve have been chosen after their 17-year old season
  • seven have been chosen after their 18-year old season
  • one has been chosen after his 19-year old season
  • four have been chosen after their 20-year old season
  • the 19-year old (Coughlin) was chosen this season, in the MacT era
  • two of the four 20-year olds (Campbell and Vesel) came in the MacT era
  • All of the 20-year olds have been chosen since 2009.

The Edmonton Oilers have been using draft and college consistently this century. They drafted 17 players who qualify between 2000 and 2009′s third round, all of whom were either 17 or 18 when drafted. From the Bigos selection forward, five of seven have been 19 or 20 years old.

Trend? Yes. Why? Rom has some interesting theories, I’ll express mine in the coming days. (Kellen Jones photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

24 Responses to "DRAFT AND COLLEGE, VOL 1"

1. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Drafted out of the NCAA

Bruce McCurdy: So all of these guys you list were drafted *before* they went to college? Missed that part. Thanks.

Yes. All selected previous to attending college.

3. supernova says:

I agree with a lot of Roms article.

I have been supporting the Oilers direction of Drafting since 2010 and their development model since MacT took over but I was taken for a loop.

I really think this draft came down to them being forced to analyze 2010 and have to make decisions on players that they still aren’t sure of after 3 years on ELC.

They wanted more time.

The thing I don’t get was why not go the Greg Chase route,

2 years in Junior and then the ELC starts. That means they basically can have the rights for 5 years of development.

I understand laddering (some college, some euro, some junior) but we know junior has proven far more successful then older players & a lot of those guys can be signed while in college.

They only thing I can think is they don’t trust their scouts of their development team, and they are more comfortable having some NCAA program develop them.

4. CurtisS says:

Why dont I see Simpson? Or am I just completely blind?

Sorry I see your remark to Bruce

CurtisS:
    Why dont I see Simpson? Or am I just completely blind?

Simpson was drafted out of the NCAA

6. Bank Shot says:

I swore that I read somewhere that the NCAA produces more NHLers as a % of drafted players then any other development route.

With that in mind I don’t have any issue with the Oilers selecting a lot of college men with their draft picks.

I do have a problem with them taking overagers, extreme overagers, and guys that are not only overagers but didn’t dominate the league they were drafted out of. I fail to see how any of these guys are going to become useful NHLers.

Bank Shot:

I do have a problem with them taking overagers, extreme overagers, and guys that are not only overagers but didn’t dominate the league they were drafted out of.I fail to see how any of these guys are going to become useful NHLers.

as for the overagers, extreme overagers, agree completely. Evan Campbell and Liam Coughlin are not value, they are (basically) Troy Hesketh two years later and two rounds after.

8. Bank Shot says:

Lowetide: I did write it above, but maybe didn’t make it clear. All of the names above were drafted from feeder leagues and then entered NCAA play. So, none of them were drafted out of the NCAA, as Pitlick and Simpson were, but rather from the BCJHL or OPJHL or USHL.

I get it. I just kind of lump all NCAA players in the same group. They are all NCAA route players to me.

NHL clubs get a minimum of 3 years to evaluate and it could be seen as an advantage in not having to make decisions too early especially if you have a lot of extra draft picks and can’t possibly sign all of your prospects (ie Hawks).

I want to hear what your guess on why the Oilers are drafting so many seemingly no shot overagers. Did someone crunch numbers on overagers and find they turn out at a few percent higher rate?

Is Mact throwing away a few late round picks (4-7) to find out which scouts are complete idiots?

I dunno. There doesn’t seem to be any sense at all in most of the overager picks.

9. G Money says:

Andre Cogliano? Close relative of Andrew? :-)

10. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    Andre Cogliano?Close relative of Andrew?

2nd cousin twice removed on his father’s side.

11. Deadman Waiting says:

Today’s coincidence: a certain Bill Vaginal hates autocorrect [this related to my comment on the previous thread].

There was really nothing wrong with auto-correct that a “don’t ever do that again or I’ll fucking punch your lights out” key wouldn’t have instantly fixed. Instead of that stupid Windows key we could have had a Bad Mother Fucker meta key.

Bad Mother Fucker CTRL-Z

I struggle to believe Apple has done ten fucking seconds worth of actual usability research in their whole goddamn history when the Apple keyboard still lacks the bright-red Ringo reverse key. I mean tell me, what would cause a PC to sell like hotcakes (back when anyone gave a shit) compared to giant DON’T EVER FUCKING DO THAT AGAIN key? Talk about fucking customer loyalty. You’d pry that machine out of my cold, dead fingers.

———

This evening I dipped into Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do over a bowl of spicy-sweet Pad Thai noodles. For some strange geographic coincidence I often find myself eating Thai food with a fresh selection from the local library.

“A person would slow down when they hit a rut,” Thrun said. “But a robot is not that smart. It would keep driving at thirty miles per hour until its death.”

12. G Money says:

Deadman Waiting: So Thrun used flexible training rather than rigid rules. ¡Surprise! Guess which company wound up in the passing lane?

I took a course in Robotics at CMU taught by Thrun back in the late 90s. Fun class, cool guy.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: The question, the one I’ve been trying to figure out, is WHY are they doing it. I have a guess.

Is the answer… “what Rom said”?

haha.

seriously, I have no idea. just guessing around in the bushes.

I wish they’d just take more Chases or Platzers (as types mind you) in the mid-to-late rounds. Or, if you’re going to take players from fringe leagues… get the guys killing those leagues in their draft years or draft+1, not the guys hanging on by a thread.

14. nycoil says:

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Brett Bellemore on a one-year, two way contract. The deal will pay Bellemore $600,000 on the NHL level, or $175,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level, in 2014-15.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nycoil:

that’s a great deal for the Canes.

I’d probably take Bellemore over Aulie.

16. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: that’s a great deal for the Canes.

I’d probably take Bellemore over Aullie.

They got good deals on both Bellemore and Hainsey.

17. gr8one says:

Deadman Waiting:

There was really nothing wrong with auto-correct that a “don’t ever do that again or I’ll fucking punch your lights out” key wouldn’t have instantly fixed.Instead of that stupid Windows key we could have had a Bad Mother Fucker meta key.

Bad Mother Fucker CTRL-Z

I struggle to believe Apple has done ten fucking seconds worth of actual usability research in their whole goddamn history when the Apple keyboard still lacks the bright-red Ringo reverse key.I mean tell me, what would cause a PC to sell like hotcakes (back when anyone gave a shit) compared to giant DON’T EVER FUCKING DO THAT AGAIN key?Talk about fucking customer loyalty.You’d pry that machine out of my cold, dead fingers.

———

So Thrun used flexible training rather than rigid rules.¡Surprise!Guess which company wound up in the passing lane?

William’s woman’s part, fantastic read.

Particularly liked this paragraph:

“Just now, for example, I reached for my phone and bashed my finger pads against the glass to see what wisdom autocorrect might read from me today. I started in the general vicinity of the letter d and then just let loose, trying to tap at random across the characters. The first time I tapped out dcisnence and drew existence. The random string dzyjzynxe produced distance. The third time I went a little longer and beset my keyboard with descinnztsb. This instantly transformed itself into deacon stab. And there it was, a little potted history of humanity: first birth, then exile, and before you know it somebody’s gone and shanked a priest.”

18. Ryan says:

Yes, for clarity’s sake I tend to post here more frequently when I am half-cocked which has been less frequently lately.

I rarely notice the errors created by the auto correct on my apple product under said circumstances.

As far as Apple is concerned, the lack of a backspace key is aggravating. That being said, it’s a small price to be paid for apple’s otherwise awesomeness.

When was the last time my MacBook Pro had a virus or even spyware? Like never… When was the last time I updated the java or something else software related on my Mac and it caused the whole computer to crash or malfunction? Never. Speaking of crashing… Whe. Was the last time my Max ever crashed…. Like never….

Oh yes, now where’s that damn backspace key?

19. Moose says:

Barons signed Jason Williams to an AHL deal tonight. Guess that was the veteran offensive center Stauffer was referring to a couple days ago. He’ll be a good add for OKC, they’re super young down the middle. Suppose he could be an injury recall option if needed given his experience. Feels like he’s 40 years old, but he’s actually “only” 33.

20. gvblackhawk says:

Ryan,

So when is Yakupov going to be traded…as per your source?

21. sliderule says:

I am interested in your guess as to what they are thinking drafting all these BC tier 2 players.

22. Pouzar says:

Ryan:

“When was the last time my MacBook Pro had a virus or even spyware?Like never…”

My 10 yr old Dell Inspirion and Linux say hi. :)